PDA

View Full Version : SJM article

jeffers
24-04-2018, 07:31 AM
Good article in today's Daily Mail about SJM. While it's great to hear what he says about leaving (and it will be a huge loss) unless he signs an extension I'd be amazed if he isn't away in the summer.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5649469/It-special-offer-leave-Hibs-love-says-John-McGinn.html

(http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5649469/It-special-offer-leave-Hibs-love-says-John-McGinn.html)

Ronniekirk
24-04-2018, 07:39 AM
Good article in today's Daily Mail about SJM. While it's great to hear what he says about leaving (and it will be a huge loss) unless he signs an extension I'd be amazed if he isn't away in the summer.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5649469/It-special-offer-leave-Hibs-love-says-John-McGinn.html

(http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5649469/It-special-offer-leave-Hibs-love-says-John-McGinn.html)

If we could keep this side together and improve the squad , he may be open to staying another year with improved deal that lets him go in a Years time
But with the number of players out of contract and on loan just can't see that being possible unless we achieve second place European Football Sell more Season Tickets than we did last year and increase subscriptions tonH S L by a couple of Thousand and of course Keep Lennon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24-04-2018, 07:39 AM

Presumably the same article that's in the EEN. Lad's got his head screwed on.

jeffers
24-04-2018, 07:47 AM
If we could keep this side together and improve the squad , he may be open to staying another year with improved deal that lets him go in a Years time
But with the number of players out of contract and on loan just can't see that being possible unless we achieve second place European Football Sell more Season Tickets than we did last year and increase subscriptions tonH S L by a couple of Thousand and of course Keep Lennon

I agree, I know underscore suggested SJM, McGeouch and Allan weren't dismissing out off hand not staying - maybe if one signs the others will follow. I just think it's a no brainer for Celtic to sign him, an established international who is getting better each season and is different from other midfielders they have. Plus they can offer Scott Allan as part of the deal.

Whenever he does go I'll not grudge him his move, Hibs may have been good for him, but he's been fantastic for Hibs.

hibbie02
24-04-2018, 08:56 AM

If he was really keen, he would have said he would sign an extension. That would demonstrate that he was keen to stay, but could be structured to allow him to leave if the right deal came along. In the meantime he will become a depreciating asset soon, as his old contract goes into his last year.

CMurdoch
24-04-2018, 09:39 AM
A clever statement from McGinn which will be another positive tick in the box for clubs looking to sign him.
However, it is not worth a shiny ***** to the prospects of him signing a new deal for Hibs.

He is ambitious and unlike Cummings last season is NOW ready in every way for a big stage.
If he goes for the right money in the summer every Hibs supporter should wish him well and watch with pride as his star gets higher and higher.
He is the real deal in every way. Unlike Riordan, O' Connor and Stokes he is a mature and responsible man.

All we need now is a wee bidding frenzy. Whoever gets him will have won a watch. A no risk purchase!!!

Billy Whizz
24-04-2018, 09:44 AM
A clever statement from McGinn which will be another positive tick in the box for clubs looking to sign him.
However, it is not worth a shiny ***** to the prospects of him signing a new deal for Hibs.

He is ambitious and unlike Cummings last season is NOW ready in every way for a big stage.
If he goes for the right money in the summer every Hibs supporter should wish him well and watch with pride as his star gets higher and higher.
He is the real deal in every way. Unlike Riordan, O' Connor and Stokes he is a mature and responsible man.

All we need now is a wee bidding frenzy. Whoever gets him will have won a watch. A no risk purchase!!!

As John says. He loves Hibs and would take a huge offer for him to leave!

However he’ll need to be careful where he goes
He’s now got a starting berth under McLeish, and needs to be playing every week to keep it. He can’t do a “Jason” and end of going to a team where he doesn’t start, and the team are struggling

I’d love him to sign a one year extension, honestly can’t see it, but you can never underestimate the power of Lennon

Col2
24-04-2018, 10:36 AM
Will all depend on concrete interest and quality of interest. If it’s strong then he will be away but if it’s lowly championship I am not convinced.

I can see the speculation continuing and I think we still have a small chance for him to sign extension on much more favorable terms with buyout clause and another year with Hibs.

Imagine the feel good factor if he signed extension, Dylan signs new deal and we get Allan, Kamberi and McLaren!!!!!

IGRIGI
24-04-2018, 10:37 AM
Keep that midfield together and keep the front two and we'd be challenging Celtic next season.

Surely playing in front of a sell out Leith San Siro in the Champions League is too good an offer to miss :greengrin

CMurdoch
24-04-2018, 10:42 AM
Will all depend on concrete interest and quality of interest. If it’s strong then he will be away but if it’s lowly championship I am not convinced.

I can see the speculation continuing and I think we still have a small chance for him to sign extension on much more favorable terms with buyout clause and another year with Hibs.

Imagine the feel good factor if he signed extension, Dylan signs new deal and we get Allan, Kamberi and McLaren!!!!!

That would be awesome!

Sammy7nil
24-04-2018, 10:49 AM
That would be awesome!

The news paper article reporting it could be penned be by Hans Christian Anderson :greengrin:wink:

hibbie02
24-04-2018, 10:52 AM
Keep that midfield together and keep the front two and we'd be challenging Celtic next season.

Surely playing in front of a sell out Leith San Siro in the Champions League is too good an offer to miss :greengrin

Celtic wouldn't stand for it. They would do what they have always done and buy up the best players from any team that challenges them (and let them rot in the reserves). All they do is take back Allan and loan him out and offer the minimum possible for McGinn. McGinn will take over from Brown at Celtic, like he will for Scotland. Until then it will be arse splinter time.

CMurdoch
24-04-2018, 11:03 AM
As John says. He loves Hibs and would take a huge offer for him to leave!

However he’ll need to be careful where he goes
He’s now got a starting berth under McLeish, and needs to be playing every week to keep it. He can’t do a “Jason” and end of going to a team where he doesn’t start, and the team are struggling

I’d love him to sign a one year extension, honestly can’t see it, but you can never underestimate the power of Lennon

He will go to Celtic, High English Championship or English Premiership outside top 6.
Won't be going anywhere guff.

Can see Celtic trying to pawn us off with Allen, Christie and £2 million for John which would be a steal for them.
Hoping the muted interest of Moyes and West Ham appears and forces the price up to £4 million.

Lago
24-04-2018, 11:08 AM

Yes says all the right thinks very diplomatic. I to expect him to go if no contract extension is sighned.

snooky
24-04-2018, 11:14 AM
Celtic wouldn't stand for it. They would do what they have always done and buy up the best players from any team that challenges them (and let them rot in the reserves). All they do is take back Allan and loan him out and offer the minimum possible for McGinn. McGinn will take over from Brown at Celtic, like he will for Scotland. Until then it will be arse splinter time.

In a nutshell.

ancient hibee
24-04-2018, 12:44 PM
Why would McGinn take over from Brown?They are totally different types of players and Brown will play on for a few years.Why would McGinn go somewhere not to play?

24-04-2018, 12:49 PM
Why would McGinn take over from Brown?They are totally different types of players and Brown will play on for a few years.Why would McGinn go somewhere not to play?

Brown was very similar to mcginn when at hibs. Box to box combative driving midfielder.

The Baldmans Comb
24-04-2018, 01:01 PM

They are exactly the same type of players at that age.

Box to box, battling and combative something Celtic have but not particularly outstanding and SJM still has time on his side.

In later years you could see him playing deeper and relying more on his raking passes.

Hopefully its not Celtic though as English teams will pay far higher.

RoscoHibby
24-04-2018, 01:40 PM
I think I'll miss him more than any other player when he does go. Love his work.

Ideal scenario as mentioned is get him on a 2yr extension at a really good wage, probably most we've paid since sauzee, get another year out of him, see where this team can go and then sell him next summer, to a really top team. Deserves better than an Ipswich or forest or something similar, despite them being able to pay best part of £20k a week...

Wouldn't be at all bothered if runs down his current contract though, least we get to see him for another year. Wish we'd get sum clarification if he is going to sign another deal though..

Deansy
24-04-2018, 01:47 PM

I feel a lot more confident after reading this - SJM (and the rest of the players) realise that there's something special happening at ER just now and that could be the clincher to contracts being signed !

heretoday
24-04-2018, 01:51 PM
There are some great clubs in the English Championship. He'll pick the right one, or his agent will, and good luck.

He's not a Prem league player yet.

Dashing Bob S
24-04-2018, 01:52 PM
I'm not convinced McGinn is that Celtic myopic that hovering up meaningless domestic trophies courtesy of their bank manager while being everyone's bitches in the CL, will appeal that much to him. I'm sensing we're in a different era from the one where Brown signed and the M8 holy grail is not longer the be all and end all of the ambitious player. If a decent Premiership offer comes in, I think he'll fancy a tickle there.

If I had the ability of Scott Brown, I'd be looking back on my career with a sense of disappointment that I never regularly tested myself at the level I was capable off. I'm wary of assuming McGinn will make the same mistake. And if he does bomb in England (which I doubt he will) there's always Celtic (or even Hibs if we keep growing at the rate we are) to come back to.

MagicSwirlingShip
24-04-2018, 01:53 PM
Would love to see John at Fulham, a crackin club with some good players and a bit momentum behind them.

Humo
24-04-2018, 01:55 PM
Reading that article it seems to me like McGinn will only leave if it's the right club and would sign an extension with us after the summer window closes (probably 1 or 2 year) if he's not had an offer from club he wants to go to.

If that is the case then I think that's fairly reasonable with the only concern being if he were to leave towards the end of the window leaving us little time to actually use the funds acquired from his sale.

Obviously I could be reading that all wrong but that's how it seemed to me.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Jim44
24-04-2018, 02:02 PM
He says he eventually wants to get a challenge at a higher level. While we might interpret that as, say a EPL club, I unfortunately think he would rate Celtic as that type of challenge. Cups and titles year in year out, European (probably CL) every season and a big salary to go with it. If Celtic are willing to make a generous offer with no faffing around, he’ll probably be there next season.

GORDONSMITH7
24-04-2018, 02:20 PM
Organized by a St. Patrick's Branch member, John and Danny Swanson visited St. Ninian's Primary School, Restalrig. They spoke with the whole school assembled. At present the kids are all back to their classrooms and John and Danny are visiting each one.

GGTTH

BIG G

jacomo
24-04-2018, 08:14 PM
I'm not convinced McGinn is that Celtic myopic that hovering up meaningless domestic trophies courtesy of their bank manager while being everyone's bitches in the CL, will appeal that much to him. I'm sensing we're in a different era from the one where Brown signed and the M8 holy grail is not longer the be all and end all of the ambitious player. If a decent Premiership offer comes in, I think he'll fancy a tickle there.

If I had the ability of Scott Brown, I'd be looking back on my career with a sense of disappointment that I never regularly tested myself at the level I was capable off. I'm wary of assuming McGinn will make the same mistake. And if he does bomb in England (which I doubt he will) there's always Celtic (or even Hibs if we keep growing at the rate we are) to come back to.

Scott Brown had personal reasons to stay in Scotland at the time. He wanted to stay close to his family.

Celtc offered a huge contract and us a record fee, and the deal was done.

I very much doubt he regrets a thing. He’s the most decorated and, in all probability, the richest player of his era in Scotland.

But I agree about SJM. You sense the goldfish bowl is not for him.

wallpaperman
24-04-2018, 08:27 PM
Organized by a St. Patrick's Branch member, John and Danny Swanson visited St. Ninian's Primary School, Restalrig. They spoke with the whole school assembled. At present the kids are all back to their classrooms and John and Danny are visiting each one.

GGTTH

BIG G

Was this today? Superb commitment from both players taking time to visit each classroom.

J-C
24-04-2018, 08:32 PM
When I spoke with him at the start of the season, down south was his intent as he wanted to test himself against top players and teams, sees Celtic as an easy option without the challenge.

Renfrew_Hibby
24-04-2018, 09:09 PM
I'm not suggesting that John will be at a club challenging for the Champions league (you never know) but the rise of Andy Robertson should be an inspiration for all young players.

lochhibs
24-04-2018, 09:40 PM
did his grandfather not leave celtic under a bit of a cloud years ago? besides that, i think he'd rather go down south. hopefully if there is any interest in him the bids come in early in the window. then they can all try and outbid each other during pre season :)

MagicSwirlingShip
25-04-2018, 01:25 AM
Maybe John is waiting to see what Dylan does, and vice versa?

If Hibs put some funds behind a big contract for John that would be a big statement.

mjhibby
25-04-2018, 03:21 AM
Scott Brown had personal reasons to stay in Scotland at the time. He wanted to stay close to his family.

Celtc offered a huge contract and us a record fee, and the deal was done.

I very much doubt he regrets a thing. He’s the most decorated and, in all probability, the richest player of his era in Scotland.

But I agree about SJM. You sense the goldfish bowl is not for him.

Definitely extremely rich. Will probably have earned over £10m at Celtic. Them there's the breaks.

Phil MaGlass
25-04-2018, 05:28 AM
We should have a "how much will SJM go for thread".Just like we do with "when will the first Hibs goal be scored" thread.

I start the bidding at 5.5m.

Heisenberg
27-04-2018, 10:23 PM
Brighton and Bournemouth latest to be credited with an interest. £3mill being suggested.

https://t.co/LM8hgq06B0

Ronniekirk
28-04-2018, 07:50 AM
Brighton and Bournemouth latest to be credited with an interest. £3mill being suggested.

https://t.co/LM8hgq06B0

Not enough

IGRIGI
28-04-2018, 07:53 AM
3 million is pennies to Premiership clubs, Rod with his balls of steel will be laughing that off.

SChibs
28-04-2018, 08:35 AM
If John is to go Glen Kamara from Dundee could fill his boots imo

Heisenberg
28-04-2018, 08:41 AM
Not enough

3 million is a very good fee for someone in the last year of their deal. Could even end up a bit higher if more than one club is interested.

Col2
28-04-2018, 08:42 AM
Brighton and Bournemouth good options for John. Great young managers a d south coast fantastic place to live.

Hibstrooper
28-04-2018, 08:46 AM
If John is to go Glen Kamara from Dundee could fill his boots imo

That was always my thinking too but he’s apparently on the radar of Celtic, Rangers and some bigger clubs down south. Now that could just be agent talk to raise his profile but talk is Dundee would be looking for close to £1m

Billy Whizz
28-04-2018, 08:47 AM
That was always my thinking too but he’s apparently on the radar of Celtic, Rangers and some bigger clubs down south. Now that could just be agent talk to raise his profile but talk is Dundee would be looking for close to £1m

If that’s the case, he won’t be coming to Hibs