PDA

View Full Version : Pie stands

calumhibee1
23-04-2018, 06:35 AM
One for the fans reps maybe..

I was at Wembley last week and they have numerous (possibly even the majority) of the pie stands have card only terminals.

Because of this, the queues were so much quicker than Easter Road. Would it be feasible at ER to get a couple of contactless kiosks to speed things up a bit? You’re literally taking out half the work for the staff and should mean that you can get people served twice as fast. Maybe not even a card machine at these kiosks, but maybe the contactless pad sort of thing that they have on the London Underground?

CentreLine
23-04-2018, 06:40 AM
Just for nostalgic reasons I think we should reintroduce the young lads walking round the track selling snacks and refreshments. Those were the days. At least the kiosk effectively came to the queue 🤗

Bob1875
23-04-2018, 06:42 AM
To think you can’t even use your card inside Easter Road just now. Behind the times! Think it can be quite pricey to use card machines though which may put Hibs off.

CallumLaidlaw
23-04-2018, 06:45 AM
Could have a pie only contactless express queue [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststandwanab
23-04-2018, 06:59 AM

I was at Wembley last week and they have numerous (possibly even the majority) of the pie stands have card only terminals.

Because of this, the queues were so much quicker than Easter Road. Would it be feasible at ER to get a couple of contactless kiosks to speed things up a bit? You’re literally taking out half the work for the staff and should mean that you can get people served twice as fast. Maybe not even a card machine at these kiosks, but maybe the contactless pad sort of thing that they have on the London Underground?

On the face of things I would agree with that however....

1) If the catering is a concession then it would be their call if the investment would be worth it.
2) Whomever holds the concession may prefer to deal in cash for the usual reasons.

It may well be quicker if the people that work I these kiosks could actually add three numbers together or at least be able to type them into a till more quickly than they currently do.

However, before they consider this perhaps they should look at the quality, or lack of quality, of the goods on sale.

Juniper Greens
23-04-2018, 07:20 AM
Does anyone have any idea (I don’t) how much 50 or so state of the art tills which automatically link to a card machine would cost? Would improve the match day experience no end!

worcesterhibby
23-04-2018, 07:56 AM
I'm good friends with the guy that supplies the kiosks to Wembley and also Twickenham and many more besides (including hot dog stands on the esplanade at the tattoo). Would be more than happy to pass on details of their various food and ticket/merchandise pop up units to anyone on the fan group /Hibs if it is of interest. He is a wolves fan so in a very good mood at the moment ! Plus he has visited ER with me on a couple of occasions and was at the League Cup final against Ross County and watched THE cup final with me, so there is a Hibs connection.

ian cruise
23-04-2018, 08:12 AM
To think you can’t even use your card inside Easter Road just now. Behind the times! Think it can be quite pricey to use card machines though which may put Hibs off.

They used to be pricey but now it's pennies to businesses. You can get a card reader in electronic stores and they just attach to tablets. I have no idea why we don't have something in place by now.

Arch Stanton
23-04-2018, 08:13 AM
Getting a HT pie without queuing would certainly be a dream come true.

Except, why bother with the tills - just order and pay for your food on the phone and collect it at HT. It would incur credit card/Paypal costs, sure, but turnover would increase massively IMO.:greengrin

Now to fix the queues in the lavvies.

CropleyWasGod
23-04-2018, 08:15 AM
They used to be pricey but now it's pennies to businesses. You can get a card reader in electronic stores and they just attach to tablets. I have no idea why we don't have something in place by now."We" don't run the stands, though. That's not our call.

The club would only be interested to the extent that the "experience" of the fans was affected.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

ian cruise
23-04-2018, 08:19 AM
"We" don't run the stands, though. That's not our call.

The club would only be interested to the extent that the "experience" of the fans was affected.

I understand that but in this day and age when giving out the contracts it should have been one of the first requirements we asked to ensure there was quick service in the limited time available.

Golden Bear
23-04-2018, 08:21 AM
To me its much more about the quality of the pies rather than the means of paying for them!

:greengrin

Viva_Palmeiras
23-04-2018, 08:44 AM
Pie dispensing machine - now your talking.

Fuzzywuzzy
23-04-2018, 08:51 AM
Can't get my head around how a pie can be cold before the game starts. It was a nice grey colour as well. Catering in general is pretty rank.

green&left
23-04-2018, 09:38 AM

Would make sense. If taxi's and market stalls have chip and pin/contact-less you think it would be easy enough for football stadium.

On the subject of pie stands i know they've got to make a profit but 4 quid for 2 bottles of water is ripping the pish a bit!

Bostonhibby
23-04-2018, 09:39 AM
Pie dispensing machine - now your talking.Virtual pies, similar taste and none of the queues or calories [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Jones28
23-04-2018, 09:40 AM

The long run costs would offset that though - most of the time if I went to the kiosks at ER in the west upper I'd be there for the majority of half time. I bet more people would go if you could speed up the service times.

MSK
23-04-2018, 09:40 AM
Could have a pie only contactless express queue [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkOr we could have a ‘dial a pie’ system like hearts had a few years ago & get your pies delivered to your seat 😁

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-21640720

From 2013
Hearts fans are being given the chance to jump the pie queue - by placing orders through their smartphones.
The club has developed a mobile app that allows supporters to place orders and have food and drink delivered to their seat.
It said its Tynecastle stadium would be the first in the UK to provide such as service.
Some 3,000 fans can use the app during Saturday's match with Motherwell.
A statement on the Scottish Premier League club's website said: "Supporters seated in the upper sections of the Wheatfield Stand will have the unique opportunity to use their Android or iOS smartphones to skip the queues and have their food delivered direct to their seats, ensuring that they don't miss a minute of the action on the pitch.
"Following this initial deployment, it will then be rolled out to other areas of the stadium throughout the remainder of the season."
The new app has been developed along with catering partner Saltire Hospitality and mobile technology company QikServe.
Hearts managing director David Southern said: "We are delighted to be the first football club in Britain to use mobile technology in this way to give our supporters more flexibility in the way they access concessions during a match."

kennyh
23-04-2018, 09:48 AM
To ease some of the queues we could have one or two of the catering team walk around at HT with the hot bag things like they do at Hampden where they sell Pies only.

snooky
23-04-2018, 10:02 AM
Why don't they have a single queue for pies only at say, £2 each so it would cut down on time counting out change. They would serve people twice as quick.
Maybe that's too sensible an idea? :dunno:

GreenCastle
23-04-2018, 12:56 PM
Why don't they have a single queue for pies only at say, £2 each so it would cut down on time counting out change. They would serve people twice as quick.

This would be a simple solution - though most get a drink with it.

Tea and coffee only queue ?

Rocky
23-04-2018, 01:15 PM
Put the next tea / coffee / bovril on each time they sell one instead of waiting for it while they're serving you. It's not as if it's going to go cold in the 60 seconds between punters.

Carheenlea
23-04-2018, 01:56 PM

There was a pop up stall for a while in the East that only sold pies. I’m in West these days, so not sure if that is still the case?

telford hibbee
23-04-2018, 05:03 PM
Does anyone have any idea (I don’t) how much 50 or so state of the art tills which automatically link to a card machine would cost? Would improve the match day experience no end!
It’s not always the cost of the hardware that’s the problem but the charges the banks charge.

StevieCowan
23-04-2018, 05:17 PM
It’s not always the cost of the hardware that’s the problem but the charges the banks charge.

Offset by the cost of counting the cash, bagging it, storing it, arranging Loomis/G4S to collect and a cost per bag by the Bank to process.

hibby6270
23-04-2018, 05:25 PM
I reckon the cost involved to install the terminals/pads/or similar, to be used only 19 times a year (minimum), would not be cost effective.
As an analogy comparison. Imagine if you had the full Sky TV package installed at say £80 per month on a 12 month min contract and the be told you can only watch it 19 days in a year. Maybe not the best comparison but hopefully you can see where I’m coming from.

calumhibee1
23-04-2018, 05:28 PM
I reckon the cost involved to install the terminals/pads/or similar, to be used only 19 times a year (minimum), would not be cost effective.
As an analogy comparison. Imagine if you had the full Sky TV package installed at say £80 per month on a 12 month min contract and the be told you can only watch it 19 days in a year. Maybe not the best comparison but hopefully you can see where I’m coming from.

That's true.

thebakerboy
23-04-2018, 05:34 PM
Or we could have a ‘dial a pie’ system like hearts had a few years ago & get your pies delivered to your seat 😁

From 2013
Hearts fans are being given the chance to jump the pie queue - by placing orders through their smartphones.
The club has developed a mobile app that allows supporters to place orders and have food and drink delivered to their seat.
It said its Tynecastle stadium would be the first in the UK to provide such as service.
A statement on the Scottish Premier League club's website said: "Supporters seated in the upper sections of the Wheatfield Stand will have the unique opportunity to use their Android or iOS smartphones to skip the queues and have their food delivered direct to their seats, ensuring that they don't miss a minute of the action on the pitch.
"Following this initial deployment, it will then be rolled out to other areas of the stadium throughout the remainder of the season."
The new app has been developed along with catering partner Saltire Hospitality and mobile technology company QikServe.
Hearts managing director David Southern said: "We are delighted to be the first football club in Britain to use mobile technology in this way to give our supporters more flexibility in the way they access concessions during a match."

To do this the club would have to install a wifi system that allowed phones to work in the stadium.

iwasthere1972
23-04-2018, 05:45 PM
There was a pop up stall for a while in the East that only sold pies. I’m in West these days, so not sure if that is still the case?

There was a pop up stall in the east selling just match programs but I still managed to queue for 15 minutes for pies for me and my brother. :greengrin

Famous Fiver
23-04-2018, 05:52 PM
In a London Pub at Tower Hill after the marathon yesterday I was the only one waving a note at the bar staff.

EVERYONE was paying by card. Mind at the prices they were charging I'm not surprised.

Viva_Palmeiras
23-04-2018, 05:54 PM
Or we could have a ‘dial a pie’ system like hearts had a few years ago & get your pies delivered to your seat 😁

From 2013

Did that actually happen?
Presume they got some discount/kickback for being “the first”? What % of punters have smartphones and then there’s the reception thing.

LustForLeith
23-04-2018, 06:02 PM
The catering at Hibs is a major let down. But if it’s the only thing I’ve to worry about when I support Hibs then I’ll take it!

Didn’t Hearts have something in which you could pay on an app and pick it up at a kiosk?

LustForLeith
23-04-2018, 06:03 PM

From 2013

Should have noticed that before I posted!

MSK
23-04-2018, 06:08 PM
Did that actually happen?
Presume they got some discount/kickback for being “the first”? What % of punters have smartphones and then there’s the reception thing.Not sure if it actually got of the ground, I havent heard a peep since it was first mentioned.

CropleyWasGod
23-04-2018, 06:20 PM
Not sure if it actually got of the ground, I havent heard a peep since it was first mentioned.It happened pre admin, so presumably it died a death.

O'Rourke3
23-04-2018, 08:00 PM
Do what they do at Hampden during concerts. Sell vouchers for an item and then walk to the bar and swap for item. One queue handles cash/sales. Operatives serve food. Vouchers etc can be bought outside the ground etc

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

dp00
24-04-2018, 11:53 AM
The fact they don’t accept cards for a pie and a juice actually stops me getting anything .. as I generally don’t take cash out there will be many more like me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LancashireHibby
24-04-2018, 04:54 PM
That’s the long and short of it basically. The likes of Wembley and Twickenham can afford it purely based on the number of events that they host along with their sheer volume of sales whereas it would represent a big investment for Hibs, or more accurately the company that runs the kiosks.

The voucher idea is an interesting one that I’ve experienced when watching rugby in France, but I don’t think would particularly work with the culture of a halftime rush over here as opposed to the French culture of not being too bothered about missing part of the game whilst also turning up to the ground early and leaving late, nor would the idea of queuing twice be something that people would necessarily buy in to.

As something of a halfway house, however, at Bolton games you can buy a voucher before the game for your half time pint which you then collect from a designated point away from the main kiosks with everything pre poured and ready and waiting tied to the number of vouchers sold. This is done to clear the queues quicker because of the time taken to pour the pint so isn’t necessarily compatible with a pie only queue, but might be an idea of research indicated that a significant number of people only bought Bovril for example.

WhileTheChief..
24-04-2018, 08:42 PM
Can't get my head around how a pie can be cold before the game starts. It was a nice grey colour as well. Catering in general is pretty rank.

I sit in the west upper. I always get a pie before kick off and you practically need asbestos gloves to hold the thing. Bovril is always piping hot too.

I blame Jamie and Nigella. Before all the tv food crap, folk were quite content with their pie n bovril at the game.

snooky
24-04-2018, 09:00 PM
This would be a simple solution - though most get a drink with it.

Tea and coffee only queue ?

Good point however, I don't buy either pies or drink at ER because firstly they're to dear and secondly, I can't be erckied with long queues.
If there was a quick-serv such as the pie one I described I would probably be tempted to use the likes of that.

Sammy7nil
24-04-2018, 09:17 PM
That’s the long and short of it basically. The likes of Wembley and Twickenham can afford it purely based on the number of events that they host along with their sheer volume of sales whereas it would represent a big investment for Hibs, or more accurately the company that runs the kiosks.

The voucher idea is an interesting one that I’ve experienced when watching rugby in France, but I don’t think would particularly work with the culture of a halftime rush over here as opposed to the French culture of not being too bothered about missing part of the game whilst also turning up to the ground early and leaving late, nor would the idea of queuing twice be something that people would necessarily buy in to.

As something of a halfway house, however, at Bolton games you can buy a voucher before the game for your half time pint which you then collect from a designated point away from the main kiosks with everything pre poured and ready and waiting tied to the number of vouchers sold. This is done to clear the queues quicker because of the time taken to pour the pint so isn’t necessarily compatible with a pie only queue, but might be an idea of research indicated that a significant number of people only bought Bovril for example.

The voucher system does not speed things up it means you queue twice. The only reason they do it is to cut down the number of people handling cash and having the opportunity to steal.