PDA

View Full Version : Hibs last winners of the Development League

Billy Whizz
22-04-2018, 06:44 PM
Still to be 100% ratified, but next season it will be a Reserve and Under 18 league

The current development league allows up to 5 overage players . Hibs haven’t given too many outings to 1st team players in it. If my memory serves me well, Swanson has had 3/4 outings, Laidlaw got a game, Big Dave a couple and Slivka got a run out last week after a long run out.
So Hibs haven’t used the Dev league for 1st team players. We have played a couple of overage players in Crane, and lately in Lewis Allan

So what’s going to be different in the Reserve League, other than it allows a few aged over 20 or so, players to continue developing, rather than be released?

Any thoughts?

Danderhall Hibs
22-04-2018, 07:11 PM
Loads of the ex pros have been banging on saying it should be a reserve league to allow the young laddies to learn by taking a few dull ones from the older heads.

I didn’t realise until recently that you were allowed to play 5 over age players though which kind of makes their point redundant.

lord bunberry
22-04-2018, 07:35 PM
Still to be 100% ratified, but next season it will be a Reserve and Under 18 league

The current development league allows up to 5 overage players . Hibs haven’t given too many outings to 1st team players in it. If my memory serves me well, Swanson has had 3/4 outings, Laidlaw got a game, Big Dave a couple and Slivka got a run out last week after a long run out.
So Hibs haven’t used the Dev league for 1st team players. We have played a couple of overage players in Crane, and lately in Lewis Allan

So what’s going to be different in the Reserve League, other than it allows a few aged over 20 or so, players to continue developing, rather than be released?

Any thoughts?
I think it’s a combination of a few things. So many players are released because they’ve reached the age where they aren’t youth players anymore. I doubt it will have much impact on us, but it may help Celtic and Rangers. They seem to release a lot of players who go on to be above average, they seem to end up buying a lot of them back. With squad sizes much smaller than they used to be I’m not sure that youngsters are going to be playing against that many older players.

blackpoolhibs
22-04-2018, 08:01 PM
It's just the development league with a different name.