PDA

View Full Version : Boyle Chance

BoomtownHibees
22-04-2018, 04:09 PM
Just watched the game back this afternoon and wondered if anybody knows what the foul was given against Boyle at the end for?

The ball is played back to Plukey from a Celtc defender and Boyle almost nips in and gets the ball only for the ref to blow for a free kick. What was it for?

Hermit Crab
22-04-2018, 04:32 PM
Just watched the game back this afternoon and wondered if anybody knows what the foul was given against Boyle at the end for?

The ball is played back to Plukey from a Celtc defender and Boyle almost nips in and gets the ball only for the ref to blow for a free kick. What was it for?

He ran from off the field of play back on. Thats all I can think of.

BoomtownHibees
22-04-2018, 04:39 PM
He ran from off the field of play back on. Thats all I can think of.

I had thought that but he was only off the park through momentum from the previous passage of play. It’s not as if he deliberately came back on after an injury and gaining an advantage.

Not sure if that’s the rule

calumhibee1
22-04-2018, 04:46 PM
I had thought that but he was only off the park through momentum from the previous passage of play. It’s not as if he deliberately came back on, gaining an advantage.

Not sure if that’s the rule

I don’t think it is. There was no foul, he brushed against Gordon, that’s it.

DaveF
22-04-2018, 04:47 PM
The linesman didn't flag for offside so can only assume McLean made up a foul in his head.

BoomtownHibees
22-04-2018, 04:48 PM
The linesman didn't flag for offside so can only assume McLean made up a foul in his head.

Couldn’t be offside as the Celtc player passed the ball back.

Made up foul sounds exactly what it was

Northernhibee
22-04-2018, 04:49 PM
Tell you what, at two up that's brilliant from him. No complacency.

JimBHibees
22-04-2018, 04:50 PM

Looked that way slight imagined pull on the Celtic defender.

Fuzzywuzzy
22-04-2018, 05:07 PM
It looked as though he'd given it for a foul against Gordon from where I was. Probably to save face for Gordon after having his pants taken off him for the second time in the space of 30 seconds

Danderhall Hibs
22-04-2018, 05:09 PM
It looked as though he'd given it for a foul against Gordon from where I was. Probably to save face for Gordon after having his pants taken off him for the second time in the space of 30 seconds

:agree: I assumed the same - over protection for the goalie. He needs it as he’s particularly pish at football - no wonder he’s in goals.

Nevi_SOL
22-04-2018, 05:11 PM
I thought I was for a pull on the defender after plukey got it away

Ozymandias
22-04-2018, 06:57 PM
Not sure, but suspect it was deemed that Boyle deliberately stayed off the field of play. He stayed down for longer than necessary in the goals behind the line and only re-entered when the 2nd chance presented itself. I think.

hibbyfraelibby
22-04-2018, 07:07 PM
He was booked for making Gordon look like an erse😁

Ryan69
22-04-2018, 07:19 PM
Not sure, but suspect it was deemed that Boyle deliberately stayed off the field of play. He stayed down for longer than necessary in the goals behind the line and only re-entered when the 2nd chance presented itself. I think.

What is the rule on that however? As I reckon the ref made that one up.

Say a player slides out hit an advertising board and comes back on a couple of seconds later...would he be penalised for interfering with play

O'Rourke3
22-04-2018, 07:45 PM
This. He waited at the post. He's offside immediately and active in trying to win the ball.

H18 SFR
22-04-2018, 07:47 PM
This. He waited at the post. He's offside immediately and active in trying to win the ball.

Can't be offside as the ball was played back by a Celtic defender.

AlbertK86
22-04-2018, 07:48 PM

But it was the Celtic defender who passed back to the goalie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Future17
22-04-2018, 07:58 PM
What is the rule on that however? As I reckon the ref made that one up.

Say a player slides out hit an advertising board and comes back on a couple of seconds later...would he be penalised for interfering with play

You're technically not allowed to leave the field of play without permission or, having left it, re-enter it without permission. I would imagine the latter is the reason he gave the free kick.

O'Rourke3
22-04-2018, 08:08 PM
Can't be offside as the ball was played back by a Celtic defender.

It was but I think he's still "offside"/technical infringment. Offside rule too techy these days. Lino gave two yesterday where the player offside was miles from being active. He conveniently forgot that rule when Celtic managed to make sure they got a throw in next to our flag second half when the player well offsite got active closing our defender down.

Ryan69
22-04-2018, 08:38 PM
You're technically not allowed to leave the field of play without permission or, having left it, re-enter it without permission. I would imagine the latter is the reason he gave the free kick.

So what your saying is that if someone runs off the pitch for even a split second...he is not allowed in play?
Momentum can easily do that.

bingo70
22-04-2018, 08:43 PM
So what your saying is that if someone runs off the pitch for even a split second...he is not allowed in play?

I don’t know the rules on this but I think it’s probably one of the rare occasions refs are allowed to apply common sense.

If someone is running down the wing and finds themselves momentarily stepping off the park off course they won’t get pulled up for it, if however someone goes off the pitch and stays there in an attempt to avoid the off side rule then the ref is likely to stop the play.

I don’t know how long Boyle was off for but when I saw it on the tele it didn’t seem right at the time, I wasn’t sure why but blowing the whistle for a foul seemed the right thing to do even if I wasn’t sure of the offence.

BoomtownHibees
22-04-2018, 08:48 PM
I don’t know the rules on this but I think it’s probably one of the rare occasions refs are allowed to apply common sense.

If someone is running down the wing and finds themselves momentarily stepping off the park off course they won’t get pulled up for it, if however someone goes off the pitch and stays there in an attempt to avoid the off side rule then the ref is likely to stop the play.

I don’t know how long Boyle was off for but when I saw it on the tele it didn’t seem right at the time, I wasn’t sure why but blowing the whistle for a foul seemed the right thing to do even if I wasn’t sure of the offence.

He wouldn’t have avoided the offside rule though as even though he’s off the pitch he would have still been classed as ‘active’ if a Hibs player had played the ball with him still over the goal-line.

It’s strange as there were no complaints from any of the players so might be one of these rules that nobody knows about (or a made up foul)

Ozymandias
22-04-2018, 09:33 PM
He wouldn’t have avoided the offside rule though as even though he’s off the pitch he would have still been classed as ‘active’ if a Hibs player had played the ball with him still over the goal-line.

It’s strange as there were no complaints from any of the players so might be one of these rules that nobody knows about (or a made up foul)

There was a change to the laws a few years ago after a player in some high profile game had gone off the pitch due to momentum for some reason during normal play, and then hung about off the pitch to avoid being offside, came back on and scored. I admit to my memory having potentially got some facts wrong in the detail as to why, but if the ball had come from a hibs player Boyle would have been offside despite being off the pitch. Momentum taking you off the pitch doesn't cause an issue, but the player should come back as soon as they can. Boyle didn't. I suspect he was penalised for that, but again might be wrong.

Future17
23-04-2018, 08:12 AM

It's a technical offence, so it's for the referee to interpret and decide if the player has sought to gain an unfair advantage.

Future17
23-04-2018, 08:13 AM

I don't think he would have been "classed as active". You can't be offside if you aren't on the pitch when the ball is played.

wfortune
23-04-2018, 11:26 AM
I thought it was was for a foul on the keeper. Nothing to do with being off the pitch. Gordon played the ball just before Boyle got there.

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

Onceinawhile
23-04-2018, 12:44 PM
I don't think he would have been "classed as active". You can't be offside if you aren't on the pitch when the ball is played.

yes you can, if you are off the pitch without the referee's permission. Just like a defender who is behind the goal line is treated as being active, if he doesn't have permission to be off the pitch.

I agree with the above though, I thought it was a foul rather than anything else.

MartinfaePorty
23-04-2018, 01:22 PM
yes you can, if you are off the pitch without the referee's permission. Just like a defender who is behind the goal line is treated as being active, if he doesn't have permission to be off the pitch.

I agree with the above though, I thought it was a foul rather than anything else.

Ref didn't have his hand in the air, so if it was offside he didn't signal correctly. Therefore, can only summise it was for a foul. as an aside, I remember someone in a big game, many years ago, stepping into the goal to prevent himself being offside, and being praised for his ingenuity. It's definitely not allowed now!

The_Sauz
23-04-2018, 04:16 PM
Standing or lying in the net area is not leaving the field off play :wink:

StevieCowan
23-04-2018, 04:34 PM

Really...enlighten us.

Smartie
23-04-2018, 05:01 PM
Does it matter which side of the line you are? I remember players hanging back over the line before, but I'm not sure how that works with the current rules?

Are you not now either active or inactive, and the offence is committed when you go towards the ball once you are back on?

(Ignoring for a second the fact that a Celtic player knocked the ball back, which should have meant that he was onside regardless?)

danhibees1875
23-04-2018, 10:54 PM

Are you sure? Im sure I recall a player (Benji?) going in the "net area" when we had a free kick once and being told to get back on the pitch by the ref.