PDA

View Full Version : Levein rapidly becoming Hearts Alex Miller!

hibbyfraelibby
22-04-2018, 03:48 PM
Keekback is an absolute riot this afternoon after the eye bleedingly apology of a performance at Itsbroke with the reality of Potter finally breaking the will of even the most rabid maroon paltroon.

Levein has just been accused because of his defensive tendencies of "becoming Alex Miller" only for another poster disagree by saying "No he is not Miller won something"

Billy Whizz
22-04-2018, 03:50 PM
Keekback is an absolute riot this afternoon after the eye bleedingly apology of a performance at Itsbroke with the reality of Potter finally breaking the will of even the most rabid maroon paltroon.

Levein has just been accused because of his defensive tendencies of "becoming Alex Miller" only for another poster disagree by saying "No he is not Miller won something"

To be fair to him, he did play 2 up front, which is 1 more than normal, and 2 more when he was with Scotland
Not sure what their moaning at on kickback

theonlywayisup
22-04-2018, 04:01 PM
Levein MUST STAY.

jacomo
22-04-2018, 04:09 PM

Quite.

Alex Miller would be insulted by the comparison.

Kato
22-04-2018, 04:14 PM
Quite.

Alex Miller would be insulted by the comparison.

Won loads. Medals Miller they should call him.

Capt Mainwaring
22-04-2018, 04:17 PM
God only knows why some Hearts fans pay to watch that rubbish, and easy to see why their away support has fallen off a cliff!
Seriously - would you pay money to travel and be bored and embarrassed watching that!?!
Defensive, no width, no pace, priority in every game not to concede rather than score - Levein’s trademark negative approach is sinking into the DNA of their club
With mid table mediocrity assured for Hearts this season and with Rangers in the middle of confidence crisis- they had a free hit at Ibrox today. Go and attack them, kick them when they were down - but no good old Craig plays 3 centre half’s 2 full backs 0 wingers and 1 up front. Hoof chase tackle repeat......
Alex Miller has more winners medals from his playing and managerial career than Levein could ever dream of ( even if Nil is all he has to beat!)
Long my he reign over them!!

JimBHibees
22-04-2018, 04:17 PM
It is a huge surprise Potter was such a success with Scotland given his sophisticated passing style of football he plays.. Perfect opportunity to have a go today and played the usual dull boring tortuous junk. Absolutely depressing

Pretty Boy
22-04-2018, 04:22 PM
Champions League winner Alex Miller being compared to Tennents Sixes winner Craig Levein.

For all his faults there is no way poor Lexo deserve to be compared to that nobody.

jgl07
22-04-2018, 04:23 PM
Alex Miller won a trophy for Hibs and elsewhere.

Jack Hackett
22-04-2018, 04:26 PM
HeartofHartley

http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/uploads/set_resources_3/84c1e40ea0e759e3f1505eb1788ddf3c_default_photo.png
Registered Users A
http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/uploads/team_member.gif

302 posts

Posted 46 minutes ago (http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/176473-levein-merged/&do=findComment&comment=6610093)

I'd like anyone to come forward and explain to me without saying "I don't care about Hibs" why on earth do we as a club, fanbase and as a board accept that style of football?

People are paying 30 odd quid to go and watch their team play non-football.

It might actually be hard for some of the maroon tinted weirdos in our support to understand but if you have any hobby pals like I do then the joy and excitement they feel at this moment (even though it pains me) is what supporting your club is all about. They are miles ahead of us to the point where I dread playing them and you know how and why?

Stability, good core of players, GOOD F-ING SCOUTS NOT YOUTUBE WAGE THEIVES, and above all a manager that wants to please his support and play FOOTBALL the way it should be played.

Now if an under budget hibs can do that and a miles under budget Killie can then it is embarrassingly unacceptable for Hearts to make any excuse as to why we will not be challenging 3rd by this time next year.....

Oh wait....

We don't have a manager, we have an outdated imbecile in charge.

SouthMoroccoStu
22-04-2018, 04:31 PM
Alex miller has a Scottish league cup medal, a champion league winners medal, English fa and league cup winners medals.

I doubt Levien has a 25m swimming certificate

WoreTheGreen
22-04-2018, 04:34 PM
He also has shanks of Barrhead most loyal user

Is It On....
22-04-2018, 04:37 PM
heartofhartley

http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/uploads/set_resources_3/84c1e40ea0e759e3f1505eb1788ddf3c_default_photo.png
registered users a

302 posts

posted 46 minutes ago (http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/176473-levein-merged/&do=findcomment&comment=6610093)

i'd like anyone to come forward and explain to me without saying "i don't care about hibs" why on earth do we as a club, fanbase and as a board accept that style of football?

It might actually be hard for some of the maroon tinted weirdos in our support to understand but if you have any hobby pals like i do then the joy and excitement they feel at this moment (even though it pains me) is what supporting your club is all about. They are miles ahead of us to the point where i dread playing them and you know how and why?

Stability, good core of players, good f-ing scouts not youtube wage theives, and above all a manager that wants to please his support and play football the way it should be played.

Now if an under budget hibs can do that and a miles under budget killie can then it is embarrassingly unacceptable for hearts to make any excuse as to why we will not be challenging 3rd by this time next year.....

Oh wait....

"youtube wage theives" 😂😂

iwasthere1972
22-04-2018, 05:02 PM
Couldn't believe it when Hearts were wasting time after only 30 minutes when it was 0-0. Obviously a favourite result of Potters and would have been the 7th he had achieved since he got that other waste of space so called manager Cathro his P45.

So glad not to be a Jambo.

Nevi_SOL
22-04-2018, 05:09 PM
Hearts fans turning against their manager?
Soon to play Hibs?
Ian Cathro scenario?

emerald green
22-04-2018, 05:15 PM
A poor Mordor team, on the back of having their a***s handed to them by their neighbours, walk all over an eye bleeding awful defensive Hertz. How did it end only 2-1?

Barney McGrew
22-04-2018, 05:16 PM
The reality of having to live within their means is finally kicking in. They blew all the money they had on Lafferty, who is pretty much only interested in putting in a performance against Celtic and Naismith who has been utterly anonymous while taking thousands a week off them. And to step it up a notch, their star signing to really push season ticket sales for the half finished bus shelter is a 35 year old journeyman who can’t run. All presided over by Scotland’s most boring and negative manager, who appears to be bulletproof because of his cosy relationship with Queen Budgie.

Meanwhile across the city, we’ve been quietly building a great squad with a great manager, and we pretty much own them on and off the park. We’re heading for Europe next season and are very much on the up and they absolutely hate it.

Still, 5-1 eh.

Baw187
22-04-2018, 05:31 PM
HeartofHartley

Registered Users A

302 posts

Posted 46 minutes ago (http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/176473-levein-merged/&do=findComment&comment=6610093)

I'd like anyone to come forward and explain to me without saying "I don't care about Hibs" why on earth do we as a club, fanbase and as a board accept that style of football?

It might actually be hard for some of the maroon tinted weirdos in our support to understand but if you have any hobby pals like I do then the joy and excitement they feel at this moment (even though it pains me) is what supporting your club is all about. They are miles ahead of us to the point where I dread playing them and you know how and why?

Stability, good core of players, GOOD F-ING SCOUTS NOT YOUTUBE WAGE THEIVES, and above all a manager that wants to please his support and play FOOTBALL the way it should be played.

Now if an under budget hibs can do that and a miles under budget Killie can then it is embarrassingly unacceptable for Hearts to make any excuse as to why we will not be challenging 3rd by this time next year.....

Oh wait....

I bet that went down well![emoji23][emoji23]

RyeSloan
22-04-2018, 05:50 PM
Only saw the last 15 mins today but gawd Hearts were awful.

I seriously hope that’s their level of performance against us in a couple of weeks...

SuperAllyMcleod
22-04-2018, 05:52 PM
Couldn't believe it when Hearts were wasting time after only 30 minutes when it was 0-0. Obviously a favourite result of Potters and would have been the 7th he had achieved since he got that other waste of space so called manager Cathro his P45.

What do you mean, you couldn’t believe it? Have you never watched a Hearts game before? It’s their standard tactic from the first minute on and only changes if they go a goal behind.

If they somehow manage to get a goal in front they take it to a whole new level!

The two most annoying things are giving away a free kick and then standing over the ball until the ref tells them to move (should be booked every time) and the other is some sort of ritual where two players have got to pretend to take a throw in before finally giving the ball to a third player who eventually takes it.

This has been going on for years.

SirDavidsNapper
22-04-2018, 05:52 PM
Alex miller has a Scottish league cup medal, a champion league winners medal, English fa and league cup winners medals.

I doubt Levien has a 25m swimming certificate

A Scottish cup winners medal too (i think) with St Mirren

Edit he left just before they won it

Ozyhibby
22-04-2018, 06:21 PM
The yams problems away from come from the fact that they play on a three quarter size pitch at home and build and set up their team accordingly but when they play away from home on full size pitches they struggle to adapt.
They are also mince.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billy Whizz
22-04-2018, 06:24 PM
The yams problems away from come from the fact that they play on a three quarter size pitch at home and build and set up their team accordingly but when they play away from home on full size pitches they struggle to adapt.
They are also mince.

Is that Potters excuse?
Their pitch is not as small as I thought it was
Tynie 100 x 64
ER 105 x 68

There is however no height restriction wherever they play!

Jack Hackett
22-04-2018, 06:25 PM
I bet that went down well![emoji23][emoji23]

I think if they had their poll again about sticking with him, there would be huge movement of the swingometer in the opposite direction from the backing he got just a few months ago. The happy clappers are being drowned out atm

Their main problem is that he is untouchable. Whilst I feel for HeartofHartley, as he seems a decent sensible chap... and has Hibby mates... :lolyam:

hibby6270
22-04-2018, 06:38 PM
Picked this up from Keekback on their Celtic game thread from yesterday.
The poster has even been praised for his spot on appraisal of their current situation in comparison to ours. Have to say - I agree!!

Some rather sad and pathetic posts on this thread tbh. Some Hearts fans still seem to think it's 2012. It's not.*
"Love-in"? A love-in would've involved Hibs laying down for their hooped masters

*Instead, they played well and won the game. Like they've played well repeatedly against Celtic and Rangers all season long.
I hate to break it to some folk, but Hibs aren't what, for so long, we thought of as "Hibs" any more. They got the monkey off their backs by winning the Scottish Cup. Then they came back up; now they're challenging for 2nd, as Lennon said they would; and we've won one game out of 11 against them. They're basically doing what we should be doing - and they're doing it by playing very good football, and despite Stokes having done his level best to **** them up mid-season.
Hearts fans should be furious about this development. Good to see that many are. Sad to see some trying to explain it by thinking it must all be down to some incestuous relationship between them and Celtic. Bluntly, we're in no position to laugh at them until we get our own house in order. 16 points behind them on a slightly bigger budget is embarrassing. And no amount of comfort blankets about 5-1, 22 in a row or anything else will change that.

Sir David Gray
22-04-2018, 06:39 PM
This thread could have been summed up a lot sooner if someone had just said that Craig Levein is Alex Miller without the medals.

Baw187
22-04-2018, 06:43 PM
I think if they had their poll again about sticking with him, there would be huge movement of the swingometer in the opposite direction from the backing he got just a few months ago. The happy clappers are being drowned out atm

Their main problem is that he is untouchable. Whilst I feel for HeartofHartley, as he seems a decent sensible chap... and has Hibby mates... :lolyam:

Is agree. I just tried to noise up a Jambo acquaintance earlier with a cheeky text about house boring they were and he went in to a 6 paragragh rant about how Levein needs to go but it won’t happen because him and Budge are thick as thieves, amongst other things! Not a happy chap! [emoji23]

Colr
22-04-2018, 06:45 PM

Naaaah! Miller won trophies!

LithgaeHibby
22-04-2018, 06:46 PM
Hertz offered the square root of hee haw this afternoon. I'm looking forward to 9 May.

wookie70
22-04-2018, 06:46 PM
Is that Potters excuse?
Tynie 100 x 64
ER 105 x 68

Spot on we have a far bigger 2D playing area but Potters Hoofball gives them one of the worlds largest 3D pitches

Billy Whizz
22-04-2018, 06:48 PM
Spot on we have a far bigger 2D playing area but Potters Hoofball gives them one of the worlds largest 3D pitches

They’ll get excited on Kickback if you suggest Levein’s bringing 3D footie to Tynie

SirDavidsNapper
22-04-2018, 06:49 PM
Picked this up from Keekback on their Celtic game thread from yesterday.
The poster has even been praised for his spot on appraisal of their current situation in comparison to ours. Have to say - I agree!!

Some rather sad and pathetic posts on this thread tbh. Some Hearts fans still seem to think it's 2012. It's not.*
"Love-in"? A love-in would've involved Hibs laying down for their hooped masters

*Instead, they played well and won the game. Like they've played well repeatedly against Celtic and Rangers all season long.
I hate to break it to some folk, but Hibs aren't what, for so long, we thought of as "Hibs" any more. They got the monkey off their backs by winning the Scottish Cup. Then they came back up; now they're challenging for 2nd, as Lennon said they would; and we've won one game out of 11 against them. They're basically doing what we should be doing - and they're doing it by playing very good football, and despite Stokes having done his level best to **** them up mid-season.
Hearts fans should be furious about this development. Good to see that many are. Sad to see some trying to explain it by thinking it must all be down to some incestuous relationship between them and Celtic. Bluntly, we're in no position to laugh at them until we get our own house in order. 16 points behind them on a slightly bigger budget is embarrassing. And no amount of comfort blankets about 5-1, 22 in a row or anything else will change that.

Thats a good post actually. Spot on. Glad they're waking up.

jacomo
22-04-2018, 06:49 PM
Is that Potters excuse?
Tynie 100 x 64
ER 105 x 68

Ah bless.

The Tiny pitch is almost full sized.

tamig
22-04-2018, 06:57 PM
A Scottish cup winners medal too (i think) with St Mirren

Edit he left just before they won it

Alex Smith was in charge when they won the cup but it was very much Lexo’s team.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
22-04-2018, 07:02 PM
Is that Potters excuse?
Tynie 100 x 64
ER 105 x 68

It is the joint smallest in the league, and while maths is very far from my strong point, i make that it is 700 sq meters smaller, but i stand to be corrected on that?

3pm
22-04-2018, 07:05 PM
Poor Alex.

bawheid
22-04-2018, 07:06 PM
This thread could have been summed up a lot sooner if someone had just said that Craig Levein is Alex Miller without the medals.

Brilliant. That should stick. Miller without the medals.

lapsedhibee
22-04-2018, 07:08 PM
It is the joint smallest in the league, and while maths is very far from my strong point, i make that it is 700 sq meters smaller, but i stand to be corrected on that?

Yeah, 740 sq m - roughly the size of a penalty box short of a full pitch. When 'throda was there they'd have got more draws if they'd played without goalposts, but they'd surely have got fewer wins without a penalty box, the diving *******.

Billy Whizz
22-04-2018, 07:09 PM

Joint with who

hibbyfraelibby
22-04-2018, 07:13 PM
Yeah, 740 sq m - roughly the size of a penalty box short of a full pitch. When 'throda was there they'd have got more draws if they'd played without goalposts, but they'd surely have got fewer wins without a penalty box, the diving *******.

Is that not about a third of an acre? Thats some area their defence doesnt have to cover and a hell of a lot of angles they dont have to deal with.

Barney McGrew
22-04-2018, 07:13 PM
Joint with who

Ross County’s pitch is quite small I think :confused:

Rocky
22-04-2018, 07:15 PM

I was surprised at that number - for context that's roughly three tennis courts or a whole 5 a side pitch smaller than ours.

Ozyhibby
22-04-2018, 07:32 PM
Is that Potters excuse?
Tynie 100 x 64
ER 105 x 68

That’s 10% smaller. Quite a big difference in professional sport.

Liberal Hibby
22-04-2018, 07:38 PM
Is that Potters excuse?
Tynie 100 x 64
ER 105 x 68

Don't Hearts use imperial so it is 100 yards by 64 yards? Making it even smaller.

Is It On....
22-04-2018, 07:49 PM
"The Levein" thread on Sickback is an absolute cracker and well worth a read..when the site is not in "lockdown"..

O'Rourke3
22-04-2018, 08:12 PM
Sticking up for Lexo, Levein would never have a team with McAllister, O'Neill, Wright, Evans, McGinlay et al. He has no idea how to play in the opposition half.

22-04-2018, 08:13 PM
Hearts fans turning against their manager?
Soon to play Hibs?
Ian Cathro scenario?

Was gutted when Hearts put us out of the cup but the silver lining is that Levein is still in charge thanks to that match....and maybe their 4-0 win over Celtic. 2 good results in nearly 40 matches and one of them wasn't even a decent performance.

Not exactly the sort of inspirational stuff to make a season ticket holder want to renew. I'd recommend they don't bother, suspend their direct debits and take a year off. They deserve a break.

Jack Hackett
22-04-2018, 08:21 PM
Was gutted when Hearts put us out of the cup but the silver lining is that Levein is still in charge thanks to that match....and maybe their 4-0 win over Celtic. 2 good results in nearly 40 matches and one of them wasn't even a decent performance.

Not exactly the sort of inspirational stuff to make a season ticket holder want to renew. I'd recommend they don't bother, suspend their direct debits and take a year off. They deserve a break.

Nah!

22-04-2018, 08:23 PM
Nah!

:greengrin

AltheHibby
22-04-2018, 08:34 PM
That thread is comedy gold: The infighting, the 61 year old who is proud to be potty mouthed, the hatred for each other and the calling each other liars has just made for an enjoyable hour's voyeurism.

Not In The Know
22-04-2018, 09:02 PM
Just watched sportscene. i think that twat Levein didn't want to beat The Rangers as it would benefit us. He just wanted a draw.

As the pundits said any team should have gone at rangers right from the kick off, especially after the week they have just had.

Jack Hackett
22-04-2018, 09:07 PM
Just watched sportscene. i think that twat Levein didn't want to beat The Rangers as it would benefit us. He just wanted a draw.

As the pundits said any tram should have gone at rangers right from the kick off, especially after the week they have just had.

I'd love somebody to have a go at the rangers with a tram :greengrin

Not In The Know
22-04-2018, 09:11 PM
:aok:
I'd love somebody to have a go at the rangers with a tram :greengrin

majorhibs
22-04-2018, 09:14 PM
Sticking up for Lexo, Levein would never have a team with McAllister, O'Neill, Wright, Evans, McGinlay et al. He has no idea how to play in the opposition half.

Miller wouldnae have had a team like that if he hadnae thrown caution to the wind after the FTBs failed takeover season, then sold Paul Wright & 2 personality’s, funding above except average already there Evans, played 2 seasons gung ho attacking, 1 cup win 1 defeat, then totally totally needlessly reverted back to type ie playing not to lose rather than playing to win! Why? Ask HIM! When he went (2 from 10 yrs) attacking he was pretty decent at it. But the guy I hated did not give a flying 1 at getting beat in derbies, had our worst ever record in them, & aw you revisionists should just remember how he gave it “just another 2 points lost” keech for 22 games 5 3/4 years, & how much that hurt & how delighted I was when he was finally bulleted! Yes Mogadon, derbies DO **** matter!

Jack Hackett
22-04-2018, 09:16 PM
:aok:

Booooooo! You've gone and changed it :greengrin

O'Rourke3
22-04-2018, 09:24 PM
Miller wouldnae have had a team like that if he hadnae thrown caution to the wind after the FTBs failed takeover season, then sold Paul Wright & 2 personality’s, funding above except average already there Evans, played 2 seasons gung ho attacking, 1 cup win 1 defeat, then totally totally needlessly reverted back to type ie playing not to lose rather than playing to win! Why? Ask HIM! When he went (2 from 10 yrs) attacking he was pretty decent at it. But the guy I hated did not give a flying 1 at getting beat in derbies, had our worst ever record in them, & aw you revisionists should just remember how he gave it “just another 2 points lost” keech for 22 games 5 3/4 years, & how much that hurt & how delighted I was when he was finally bulleted! Yes Mogadon, derbies DO **** matter!

Woah....I'd stay off the beers as that's a huge leap from my post to your rant. Who was revising anything? I put forward the suggestion that Levein would never play a team like that. Millar did so cannot be accused of permanent defence.

hibees 7062
22-04-2018, 09:35 PM
What do you mean, you couldn’t believe it? Have you never watched a Hearts game before? It’s their standard tactic from the first minute on and only changes if they go a goal behind.

If they somehow manage to get a goal in front they take it to a whole new level!

The two most annoying things are giving away a free kick and then standing over the ball until the ref tells them to move (should be booked every time) and the other is some sort of ritual where two players have got to pretend to take a throw in before finally giving the ball to a third player who eventually takes it.

This has been going on for years.

He's even got the ball boys holding the ball for as long as possible then they throw it away

majorhibs
22-04-2018, 09:37 PM
Woah....I'd stay off the beers as that's a huge leap from my post to your rant. Who was revising anything? I put forward the suggestion that Levein would never play a team like that. Millar did so cannot be accused of permanent defence.

Whoa! 2 years ootae ten no bein defensive & playing not to lose rather than win is drivel & should never have been allowed. Tae think some jokers claimed it was cos o his hun past! What utter tripe! Wether you were there or no is utterly irrelevant to me, I was there, & I listened to an alleged football man explain to me how it did not really matter if the Poppy thieves beat Hibs as long as we were safe in the league! You & mogadon can stick that & yer 5 & 3/4 years where the sun don’t shine. & you stay clear of the strong stuff cos it’s not conducive to you leaping anywhere at your age! GGTTH :flag:

O'Rourke3
22-04-2018, 09:46 PM
Whoa! 2 years ootae ten no bein defensive & playing not to lose rather than win is drivel & should never have been allowed. Tae think some jokers claimed it was cos o his hun past! What utter tripe! Wether you were there or no is utterly irrelevant to me, I was there, & I listened to an alleged football man explain to me how it did not really matter if the Poppy thieves beat Hibs as long as we were safe in the league! You & mogadon can stick that & yer 5 & 3/4 years where the sun don’t shine. & you stay clear of the strong stuff cos it’s not conducive to you leaping anywhere at your age! GGTTH :flag:

Again, thanks for inferring what I meant from my post and getting wound up about it but just for the record were you telling Millar to stick it where the Sun don't shine when we beat Dunfermline at Hampden?

majorhibs
22-04-2018, 09:54 PM
Again, thanks for inferring what I meant from my post and getting wound up about it but just for the record were you telling Millar to stick it where the Sun don't shine when we beat Dunfermline at Hampden?

You’ve gotta be female! Pretending to listen & never hearing a word said! He had 2 good attacking years, 1 cup win 1 final defeat, the other 8 years were absolute total dire defensive 11 players back at corners don’t concede crap culminating in the worst derby record for a manager ever! Is that REALLY hard to understand? Plus he played hamilton for 8 years! Gie me peace!

O'Rourke3
22-04-2018, 09:58 PM
You’ve gotta be female! Pretending to listen & never hearing a word said! He had 2 good attacking years, 1 cup win 1 final defeat, the other 8 years were absolute total dire defensive 11 players back at corners don’t concede crap culminating in the worst derby record for a manager ever! Is that REALLY hard to understand? Plus he played hamilton for 8 years! Gie me peace!

See in the morning when you've calmed down/sobered up. Come back and explain how my post gets you so wound up. BTW loving the sexism, I must be a woman because I don't understand football. Superb.

The Leith Dutch
22-04-2018, 10:04 PM

Shows how poor Sevco are that Hearts waited until 30 minutes to start the time wasting.
They were at it from the first minute against us ;)

majorhibs
22-04-2018, 11:17 PM
So, outward fi here’s fine, but incomings punted! I see! Just as well I stayed sober & calm tae realise that! Always the morn, eh?

Eaststandee
22-04-2018, 11:58 PM
The real fun will start when he is fired or resigns and he just heads up stairs and the puppet strings come out again, cannae wait!

Mixu62
23-04-2018, 05:37 AM
Short memories. During the Admin adventure they were full of "we don't care if we're in the bottom division, we just want our club to survive". Lovin' it!

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
23-04-2018, 06:16 AM
Joint with who

Dundee i think?

worcesterhibby
23-04-2018, 08:43 AM
The absolutely wonderful thing about them having Craig L as manager is that he isn't absolutely terrible. With Cathro, it was always going to end in him being sacked, particularly because of their record at home. However Levein is quite capable of winning half their home games, drawing another quarter of them and only losing to Celtic, Aberdeen and ourselves. That will keep him in a job almost indefinately. They will be 5th, 6th or 7th for as long as they retain him as manager and they will regularly get beaten by us.

Budge has no clue about football and relies on him, she won't sack him unless they end a season in the bottom 4. I can't see that happening. They play terrible, boring, eye bleeding hoofball, but he knows enough about setting up defensive sides to ensure they never come below 7th place in the league, if they make some decent signings they could even come 5th, but I just can't see how they will come above Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen or ourselves.

In many ways that is a bit like Hibs in the Alex Miller era..safe-ish from relegation, but no chance of real consistency, flowing football or a top three place. Personally I would take Miller as manager over CL every day of the week and I would take Keith, Mickey Weir, Crunchie, Kevin Harper, Micheal O'Neil and Pat McGinley over the rubbish they have at Tinpotcastle at the moment...but I do understand the comparison.

Cathro was hilarious and really set Hearts backwards, but levein is in many ways more dangerous as their decline will be slow and boring, rather than hugely amusing and catastrophic. Their season ticket sales will go down by between 5-10% every season that he is there. Their Direct debt scheme will also be effected. It will take 3-4 more years for this to finally tip Budge over the edge..that is the beauty of it.

heretoday
23-04-2018, 10:30 AM
He seems very old-fashioned somehow.
Not that I'm complaining!

Smartie
23-04-2018, 10:36 AM

Or to put it another way - Alex Miller is Craig Levein with a medal collection and a packet of imodium.

superfurryhibby
23-04-2018, 10:53 AM
See in the morning when you've calmed down/sobered up. Come back and explain how my post gets you so wound up. BTW loving the sexism, I must be a woman because I don't understand football. Superb.

That was a completely random and bizarre response to your post.

Miller has a better managerial record than Levein. He won a cup, lost a final and managed third place, with a few decent European results. The team played some excellent football under him. His derby record was appalling, no denying that. He steered Hibs through a challenging time and it was telling that we were relegated the season after he left.

GreenLake
23-04-2018, 11:07 AM
They are also mince.

You would think the extra space would help them increase the artillery like trajectory of their passes up to Lafferty from defense.

BILLYHIBS
23-04-2018, 11:12 AM
I could not believe Leveines tactics yesterday. Playing against a poor The Rangers team lacking in confidence many playing together as a team for the first time he chose to sit back and let The Rangers come at them giving them too much respect losing the initiative.He should have played a high pressing game from the start on the front foot forcing their dodgy defence into mistakes turning their already protesting fans even more against them.Hearts look like a team very afraid and very disappointing they only seemed to realise that The Rangers were there for the taking with ten minutes to go but by then the damage was already done.

Cheer up Craig Levein........!

Halmyre Hibee
23-04-2018, 11:19 AM
Just had a look on Keekback for fun. If our Manager had this philosophy I would be raging. Long may he stay.

WE FRUSTRATED RANGERS, THAT WAS THE PLAN"

Direct quote from Levein which sums up his football philosophy I am afraid.

NAE NOOKIE
23-04-2018, 11:34 AM
Its going to be tough for us to get 3 points at the Rust Arena .... on that rutted postage stamp pitch playing a team with 10 men behind the ball our ability to play quick passing football with pace and width is not so much of an advantage. Having said that we will have Scott Allan available who can see a pass and also Barker who was impressive when he came on against Celtic and looked well up for it .... his dribbling ability could be just what we need, even if its as a sub in the last half hour.

Levin is not going to do anything different coz its not in his nature, he will look on a 0 - 0 draw putting a spoke in our wheel in the chase for 2nd as a feather in his cap ..... he could care less if the side effect is to bore everybody watching to death.

jacomo
23-04-2018, 11:48 AM
Just had a look on Keekback for fun. If our Manager had this philosophy I would be raging. Long may he stay.

WE FRUSTRATED RANGERS, THAT WAS THE PLAN"

Direct quote from Levein which sums up his football philosophy I am afraid.

Here’s another beauty, quoted by AllisBarry today:

“I think, if we’d played better, we had a chance of winning the game.”

Wow, Levein, do you think??

inglisavhibs
23-04-2018, 11:52 AM
Joint with who

Joint with Dens Park which is surprising given the room they have to make the pitch a bit bigger. Pittodrie is the next smallest as well as having the worst surface, but at least Aberdeen have plans in place to move. (McCinnes hates their pitch). I suspect Levein is quite happy that Hearts have a very small pitch as it makes it easier to adopt spoiling tactics and make each game in to a bit of a battle. According to the rules Tynecastle should never be able to hold an international game as the minimum pitch size is 110yds x 70yds (Tynecastle is 109.36 x 69.99). Not sure on rules for Eufa club games but think it's the same.

inglisavhibs
23-04-2018, 11:54 AM
Its going to be tough for us to get 3 points at the Rust Arena .... on that rutted postage stamp pitch playing a team with 10 men behind the ball our ability to play quick passing football with pace and width is not so much of an advantage. Having said that we will have Scott Allan available who can see a pass and also Barker who was impressive when he came on against Celtic and looked well up for it .... his dribbling ability could be just what we need, even if its as a sub in the last half hour.

Levin is not going to do anything different coz its not in his nature, he will look on a 0 - 0 draw putting a spoke in our wheel in the chase for 2nd as a feather in his cap ..... he could care less if the side effect is to bore everybody watching to death.

They will be creating the ruts as we speak:wink:

hibbyfraelibby
23-04-2018, 12:37 PM

So he wrote Cathro's script as well as picked his pkayers.

O'Rourke3
23-04-2018, 03:53 PM

Miller has a better managerial record than Levein. He won a cup, lost a final and managed third place, with a few decent European results. The team played some excellent football under him. His derby record was appalling, no denying that. He steered Hibs through a challenging time and it was telling that we were relegated the season after he left.

:agree:. I'm no cheerleader for Lexo but Leveins team from that era would all get blinded by the glare from his trophy cabinet.... I may have misjudged the poster though. That last one was more blank prose than anything James Joce did in Ullyses and I couldn't understand a page of that book. My fault clearly.

Carheenlea
23-04-2018, 06:58 PM
Alex Miller’s time at Hibs always provokes a range of differing opinion, but one thing that is not up for debate is that Alex capable of putting on a jersey the right way round.

http://i67.tinypic.com/vo1lkl.jpg

I'm_cabbaged
23-04-2018, 07:05 PM

He was coming out with the same pish after we humped them, he’s basically saying that he’s a master tactician and it’s the players fault.

WoreTheGreen
23-04-2018, 07:07 PM
Alex Miller’s time at Hibs always provokes a range of differing opinion, but one thing that is not up for debate is that Alex capable of putting on a jersey the right way round.

http://i67.tinypic.com/vo1lkl.jpg

Rip mini me

Is It On....
23-04-2018, 07:13 PM
You would think the extra space would help them increase the artillery like trajectory of their passes up to Lafferty from defense.

It's the same as the difference between North American and European Ice Hockey. The North American rink is smaller so it's more physical and about "the hits". European rinks are larger so the skill is more important than the physical side of the game 🙂

majorhibs
23-04-2018, 08:13 PM

Sorry but that’s drivel! Lies damn lies & statistics! I was at virtually EVERY game pre season Euro league during you revisionists dream time, & having watched Hibs before, Bertie Auld etc, I can tell you cos I was there, yer beloved “lexo” got mair “boos”, & those days we still had a fair amount who had seen real 70s back to 50s proper fitba. Listen to this, & I’m no making it up, if you watched Hibs while Alex Miller was boss, your residing memory of his 10 years will be the Hibs support booing another defensive boring negative display, when it looked like we had players who could do so much more. 7 out of 10 years, & the worst derby record ever! Boos cos it was negative! Who in their right mind as a Hibby would be happy wi that?

matty_f
24-04-2018, 12:10 AM
Sorry but that’s drivel! Lies damn lies & statistics! I was at virtually EVERY game pre season Euro league during you revisionists dream time, & having watched Hibs before, Bertie Auld etc, I can tell you cos I was there, yer beloved “lexo” got mair “boos”, & those days we still had a fair amount who had seen real 70s back to 50s proper fitba. Listen to this, & I’m no making it up, if you watched Hibs while Alex Miller was boss, your residing memory of his 10 years will be the Hibs support booing another defensive boring negative display, when it looked like we had players who could do so much more. 7 out of 10 years, & the worst derby record ever! Boos cos it was negative! Who in their right mind as a Hibby would be happy wi that?

Are you always angry?

Libby Hibby
24-04-2018, 05:07 AM
Are you always angry?

No Hibby is angry just now...

SirDavidsNapper
24-04-2018, 05:34 AM
My old man remembers us playing for draws at Starks park under Miller. Miller and Leveins away philosophy is very similar.

superfurryhibby
24-04-2018, 07:12 AM

I’m older than you and I’ve been watching Hibs since 1971, and yes facts are facts. What an arrogant way to engage in discussion. You need to take a chill pill. No matter how angry you are, doesn’t make you right, lol.

Miller inherited a total mess. The club was nearly on it’s knees when he came or have you forgotten the relegation battles with the likes of Dumbarton and the dire football under Blackley that preceded him? He took us into a safe place first couple of seasons. Helped navigate the disaster of Duff-Gray and soon after won the first silverware for nearly 20 years. The team reached another final, finished third, won European matches and when he left we dropped like a stone into the second tier.

We could have normal discussion about his failings, there were some or you can just carry on over stimulating yourself?

Bostonhibby
24-04-2018, 08:04 AM
I’m older than you and I’ve been watching Hibs since 1971, and yes facts are facts. What an arrogant way to engage in discussion. You need to take a chill pill. No matter how angry you are, doesn’t make you right, lol.

Miller inherited a total mess. The club was nearly on it’s knees when he came or have you forgotten the relegation battles with the likes of Dumbarton and the dire football under Blackley that preceded him? He took us into a safe place first couple of seasons. Helped navigate the disaster of Duff-Gray and soon after won the first silverware for nearly 20 years. The team reached another final, finished third, won European matches and when he left we dropped like a stone into the second tier.

We could have normal discussion about his failings, there were some or you can just carry on over stimulate yourself?I attended many of the games under Miller home and away and I agree with you. Considering the period he steered us through I just don't see him in a bad light . winning that cup at the end of it makes the gulf between him and Doctor football huge.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

SirDavidsNapper
24-04-2018, 08:44 AM
Millers main fault in my humble opinion is he should have done far better with the players he had. Obviously had a good eye for a player but his defensive outlook held them back. Frustrating because at times we were unplayable with players like Crunchie, O'Neil, Jackson, Wright and McGinley even Harper. Miller was far too reserved in his outlook.

Brizo
24-04-2018, 09:21 AM
Millers main fault in my humble opinion is he should have done far better with the players he had. Obviously had a good eye for a player but his defensive outlook held them back. Frustrating because at times we were unplayable with players like Crunchie, O'Neil, Jackson, Wright and McGinley even Harper. Miller was far too reserved in his outlook.

Agree with that. Its a strange one because he bought some tremendous attacking players and gave games to home-grown flair players like Mickey. But there was a caution to him and over his ten year tenure his teams ranged from exciting to tediously dull. Every manager has a shelf life and Miller should have left when he was on a high. He stayed too long and as well as winning the Skol Cup was also in charge of some really embarrassing hammerings including a 7 0 defeat at Ibrox. Playing his two laddies in the first team was the last straw for me. They were gash and it was pure pish ripping nepotism.

As for comparisons with Potter that's a bit harsh. Lexo had a subsequent successful backroom career at Liverpool and has a cupboard full of medals. Potter only has a career because of Budgie and has no medals.

KerPlunk
24-04-2018, 09:53 AM
Photos of a Levein training session for his defenders, new ‘Parking The Bus’ strategies, etc...
https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/gallery/2018/apr/23/2018-european-stone-stacking-championship-in-pictures?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
:rolleyes:

Bostonhibby
24-04-2018, 09:55 AM
Agree with that. Its a strange one because he bought some tremendous attacking players and gave games to home-grown flair players like Mickey. But there was a caution to him and over his ten year tenure his teams ranged from exciting to tediously dull. Every manager has a shelf life and Miller should have left when he was on a high. He stayed too long and as well as winning the Skol Cup was also in charge of some really embarrassing hammerings including a 7 0 defeat at Ibrox. Playing his two laddies in the first team was the last straw for me. They were gash and it was pure pish ripping nepotism.

As for comparisons with Potter that's a bit harsh. Lexo had a subsequent successful backroom career at Liverpool and has a cupboard full of medals. Potter only has a career because of Budgie and has no medals.This and the post above are both decent reflections on Miller I feel.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Sammy7nil
24-04-2018, 11:46 AM

As for comparisons with Potter that's a bit harsh. Lexo had a subsequent successful backroom career at Liverpool and has a cupboard full of medals. Potter only has a career because of Budgie and has no medals.

I asked Keith Wright if Miller sent the team out to defend and he told me that did not happen. He said the OF at the time especially Rangers were just so strong they were able to push you back and you simply could not get out your own half on some occasions.

Kato
24-04-2018, 12:01 PM
I asked Keith Wright if Miller sent the team out to defend and he told me that did not happen. He said the OF at the time especially Rangers were just so strong they were able to push you back and you simply could not get out your own half on some occasions.

It's a bit more complex than though is it not? We weren't playing the OF every week and still managed quite a few seasons under Miller where we were dull as dish water. One season we had something like 18 draws!

Micheal O'Neil on being asked what had changed at ER given the attacking nature of his first season here and MO'N said Miller didn't give him any tactics, he just had to go out and do what he wanted. In other words that attacking play was off-the-cuff and nothing to do with Miller other than team selection and giving them free reign.

The most illustrative description of Miller as a manger I've read came from John Burridge who said he was the most cautious manager he had ever worked with (out of dozens in his career). Budgie said most of the weeks' build up to a game would be Miller warning players of the opposition strengths, right up to going out on the park. He felt the team would have done far more if Miller had been a bit more inspirational towards our strengths.

majorhibs
24-04-2018, 09:28 PM

We could have normal discussion about his failings, there were some or you can just carry on over stimulating yourself?

Nah, Alex, you cane in to a team in the same boat as a few others, you were mair scared of losing than going for
The win, you loved a draw, it was boring, let’s no rewrite history! If you were there, Brian Hamilton was terrible & boo ed almost every week because he could not do the basics & many many moves broke down with this non footballer. But he played 8 defensive years for Lexo

Mr White
24-04-2018, 09:36 PM
Nah, Alex, you cane in to a team in the same boat as a few others, you were mair scared of losing than going for
The win, you loved a draw, it was boring, let’s no rewrite history! If you were there, Brian Hamilton was terrible & boo ed almost every week because he could not do the basics & many many moves broke down with this non footballer. But he played 8 defensive years for Lexo

Brian Hamilton's first game for hibs was in august 1989 and his last was in December 1994 so he played for us for less than 5 and a half years. I'm not convinced your memoirs are fully logged and verified Major.

majorhibs
24-04-2018, 09:57 PM
Brian Hamilton's first game for hibs was in august 1989 and his last was in December 1994 so he played for us for less than 5 and a half years. I'm not convinced your memoirs are fully logged and verified Major.

If I’m wrong I’m wrong, was quite positive it was 8 yrs, certainly felt that long, & he was NEVER dropped followin week no matter how crap! He rattled the bar fi 35 yards V Videoton in Europe, & proceeded to never shoot from distance again! Why? Managers orders? Anyway IMO crap player & crap manager. Nuff said from me.

superfurryhibby
24-04-2018, 10:07 PM

Hey lets not let a few other facts get in the way of Majorhibs’ cultivation of an on-line persona of hatred of the Mogadon era. Lets also ignore the fact that Miller was smart enough to get rid of the double cup winning sideways pass expert to Hearts for more than we paid for him.

How we yearned for the days of Bertie Auld, the original drawmeister, we oinned for the cheeky wee surprise signings who went straight from the East Junior league to our first team under Pat Stanton, not forgetting the embarrassing cup defeats under John Blackley. Ok, Miller years were definitely a disaster, I’m converted.

majorhibs
24-04-2018, 10:20 PM
Hey lets not let a few other facts get in the way of Majorhibs’ cultivation of an on-line persona of hatred of the Mogadon era. Lets also ignore the fact that Miller was smart enough to get rid of the double cup winning sideways pass expert to Hearts for more than we paid for him.

How we yearned for the days of Bertie Auld, the original drawmeister, we oinned for the cheeky wee surprise signings who went straight from the East Junior league to our first team under Pat Stanton, not forgetting the embarrassing cup defeats under John Blackley. Ok, Miller years were definitely a disaster, I’m converted.

Plenty Alex & siblings around the nite, how ye can have midfielders like Collins, Mcginlay, O’Neil, McAllister etc, forwards like Wright, Archibald, Jackson, keepers like Gorka, Leighton etc & only 1 L. Cup win in 10 years, either yer no tryin very hard wi those players & others with ability, or your very, very defensive! I was there, & I am not related. What about you’se?

Mr White
24-04-2018, 10:30 PM
Plenty Alex & siblings around the nite, how ye can have midfielders like Collins, Mcginlay, O’Neil, McAllister etc, forwards like Wright, Archibald, Jackson, keepers like Gorka, Leighton etc & only 1 L. Cup win in 10 years, either yer no tryin very hard wi those players & others with ability, or your very, very defensive! I was there, & I am not related. What about you’se?

We definitely should have won more with Gorka in the side. Criminal really that we didn't :agree:

majorhibs
24-04-2018, 10:56 PM
We definitely should have won more with Gorka in the side. Criminal really that we didn't :agree:

Beauty of predictive text saying gorka instead of goram, is that it shows up your feebleness in this argument, I reckon even YOU, who wouldnae ken a manager if they were jumping up & down on you, would win more trophies than 1 with above named offensive players, cos Mogadon was in a defensive league of 2, him & 6/4/0 Potter, & naebody else could be that boring & get it that wrong.

Mr White
24-04-2018, 11:11 PM
Beauty of predictive text saying gorka instead of goram, is that it shows up your feebleness in this argument, I reckon even YOU, who wouldnae ken a manager if they were jumping up & down on you, would win more trophies than 1 with above named offensive players, cos Mogadon was in a defensive league of 2, him & 6/4/0 Potter, & naebody else could be that boring & get it that wrong.

:hilarious

I'm not arguing with you, though I did point out a 40% exaggeration on what appeared to be one of your key points.

I agree with what others have said about the era in general and while I also agree that he was often overly defensive and wasn't perfect by any means... to use his good signings and the fact he won a trophy as evidence that he was crap and should have done better seems a bit silly tbh.

superfurryhibby
25-04-2018, 07:13 AM

For the younger reader or those less aware of our history. Miller won the fourth major cup final in our then 115 year history. He equalled the achievement of Eddie Turnbull and surpassed Hugh Shaw in that respect, but as we know it’s not just about the facts.

For all the decent players named, and there were a good few others unmentioned, we also had the likes of Joe Tortolano getting over 200 hundred games ( decent effort, but not universally loved by the fans), guys like David Farrell, David Fellinger and Billy Findlay breaking into the team, along with Chris Jackson, Graeme Donald Graeme Love and Darren Dodds. As has often been the case with Hibs, we lacked strength in depth, as shown by the career trajectory of most of these guys once they left Hibs.

As already stated, Millers Derby record was shocking. He was also very dour and whilst guys like Burridge slagged off his weak mentality ( he fell out with Budgie and punted him), lots of the players that played for him speak very highly of him.

The game was changing a lot back then. There was a shift from 443 to more defensive set ups. It wasn’t just at Hibs. When he left it was a case of careful for what you wish. The team was relegated the season after.

I was never a huge fan of Miller at the time, but a bit perspective makes me realise that he was a beacon of positivity compared to quite a lot of the dross we’ve seen since. As for comparison with Levein, there are none.

BILLYHIBS
25-04-2018, 07:17 AM
Remember at the time there was a standing joke that only got a game because he was Alex Millers son-in-law-remember his two laddies. My recollection of Brian Hamilton although much maligned at our club-was an industrious midfielder who would always give you a shift.I had the pleasure of meeting him and would have to say he came across as being a really nice guy.