PDA

View Full Version : The End of an Era

CMurdoch
22-04-2018, 10:24 AM
When i was watching yesterdays brilliant performance it was tinged with a little sadness knowing that this wonderful team has reached the point in the cycle where the best parts are plundered by the rich and powerful.

Watching the power of McGinn and the Hibs Iniesta McGeough dictating play against quality opponents sadly confirms the end of a great chapter.

Future International Captain McGinn looks like a perfect replacement for Scott Brown and IMO is now the outstanding midfield player in Scotland. He hunts the ball down like pacman, taking out everything in it's path. Every good team needs a John McGinn. IMO he could now play in the English Premiership given he now has great strength to go with the relentless engine. Even at £4 million I would say he would represent a no risk absolute bargain buy for any team outside the top 6 in the EPL as they could easily get their money back at any time from an English Championship team if it doesn't quite work out. I really hope we can get an appropriate fee for such an exceptional player.

McGeough's situation is different in that his injury history and slight build may count against him getting a big move. Unfortunately for Hibs and fortunately for McGeough he is out of contract which means an English Championship will sign him up for free on a 2 year contract on a bigger wage than Hibs can afford.
IMO Hibs should push the boat out for him and even add an agreement to let him go if an offer of 300k comes in for him in the future and he wants to go.
Strangely I think we would have more success in replacing McGinn than McGeough.

Without green specs what does your head say on this issue?

P.S. Sorry for pissing on the chips.

bingo70
22-04-2018, 10:28 AM
Completely agree.

The other difficulty with replacing Mcginn is his personality.

He’s done so much to connect the team with the fans and it was needed so much at the time.

To me Fontaine, Mcginn, Bartley and Boyle seemed to be the lifeblood of the changing room, obviously lost Fontaine already so whoever replaces Mcginn will need to not only be a great player he’ll need to have the personality to match it too.

HairyBrain
22-04-2018, 11:17 AM
I've got the same feeling, it's been a great couple of years I'm just hoping we can kick on a be a consistent force life Aberdeen have been.

Lennon and Dempster are going to earn their wage over the summer in terms of recruitment and the squad.

Love watching McGinn when he's really on form but McGeough is a totally class act, the type of player I love to watch, on the whole keeps it simple, rarely gives the ball away and starts everything off. I genuinely think he's harder to replace.

Need to keep a hold of the front two as well, especially Kamberi, MOTM for me yesterday.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Borderhibbie76
22-04-2018, 11:26 AM
God this is a bit of a sobering thread....personally not given up Hope of SJM signing a wee extension and staying 1 more season especially if we get into Europe - Dylan hasn't confirmed he's away so there is always hope there too till we aretold otherwise. I think Flo and Allan will be back next season along with the rest of yesterday's squad and Lennon has proven in Jan if any do leave he can find us gems...many were panicking when Stokes and Murray were allowed to leave in Jan - look how that's turned out...

SJM seems happy here and in no rush yo leave...if we don't get a decent offer we should be tempting him with a big signing on fee and a wee extension

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Mon Dieu4
22-04-2018, 11:31 AM
I get what you are saying and I will miss McGinn when he goes but where as normally I'd be down in the dumps about it I'm more confident than ever before that we have all the parts in place to ensure we kick on from this rather than go backwards

Everyone we have from Dempster down are winners and great at their job, I'm more excited about the future and where we are going than sad about certain players going

hibsbollah
22-04-2018, 11:38 AM
I get what you are saying and I will miss McGinn when he goes but where as normally I'd be down in the dumps about it I'm more confident than ever before that we have all the parts in place to ensure we kick on from this rather than go backwards

Everyone we have from Dempster down are winners and great at their job, I'm more excited about the future and where we are going than sad about certain players going

:agree: I also think Graeme Swanson is going to properly emerge next season, and Slivka as well. Both quality players in the midfield. There will be money to invest in players with the increased gates we've been having, and there's continuity in the management team. Even we lose three of our first choice players I'm confident we can kick on to better things.

Scouse Hibee
22-04-2018, 11:50 AM
:agree: I also think Graeme Swanson is going to properly emerge next season, and Slivka as well. Both quality players in the midfield. There will be money to invest in players with the increased gates we've been having, and there's continuity in the management team. Even we lose three of our first choice players I'm confident we can kick on to better things.

Is that Danny's brother?😁

erin go bragh
22-04-2018, 11:55 AM
We will get 5m plus for SJM imo . Money which will strengthen the team if invested properly.
So this might just be the beginning of a famous chapter in our history,rather than the end :)

Newhaven
22-04-2018, 12:00 PM
We will get 5m plus for SJM imo . Money which will strengthen the team if invested properly.
So this might just be the beginning of a famous chapter in our history,rather than the end :)

Sorry but there is no way in the world we’ll get £5m for him. Not even close to that figure.

CMurdoch
22-04-2018, 12:01 PM

He is worth that but we won't get it.
Would like to think we could get £3m.
That would keep both Hibs and St Mirren happy.

jacomo
22-04-2018, 12:48 PM

I agree with you on this.

Slivka is not the same as SJM but I think would do well next season.

If Dylan leaves I worry about how we replace him.

Tug Wilson
22-04-2018, 01:08 PM
I think that there may well be a few twists and turns with regards who stays, who comes in and who re-signs.

Although not definitely away I can understand how Dylan might feel that he is going to have to make big money whilst injury free. Completely down to Dylan what he wants to do.

SJM is still contracted to Hibs until the end of next season so Hibs have some options here. However, we might have to look to cash in on John just to fund the remodeling of the squad.

If the sale of McGinn pays for the retention of Scott Allan and Flo Kamberi along with some other additions to the squad then it might be worth it. One thing we know is that any money made can go on the squad and not on infrastructure.

Defensive midfield duties are covered by Bartley and Whittaker so if we have Slivka, Swanson and Allan then we are probably only looking at one more quality central midfielder to augment the squad.

hibsbollah
22-04-2018, 01:23 PM
Is that Danny's brother?😁

Och you ken who I mean :greengrin

AgentDaleCooper
22-04-2018, 01:28 PM
I think that there may well be a few twists and turns with regards who stays, who comes in and who re-signs.

Although not definitely away I can understand how Dylan might feel that he is going to have to make big money whilst injury free. Completely down to Dylan what he wants to do.

SJM is still contracted to Hibs until the end of next season so Hibs have some options here. However, we might have to look to cash in on John just to fund the remodeling of the squad.

If the sale of McGinn pays for the retention of Scott Allan and Flo Kamberi along with some other additions to the squad then it might be worth it. One thing we know is that any money made can go on the squad and not on infrastructure.

Defensive midfield duties are covered by Bartley and Whittaker so if we have Slivka, Swanson and Allan then we are probably only looking at one more quality central midfielder to augment the squad.

Whitty and bartley won't come close to replacing SJM and Dylan IMO. Bartley needs a physical battle, otherwise he offers very little, especially in terms of passing range. He either dominates or is fairly anonymous. Whitty has passing range, but unlike Bartley doesn't have much physical presence. They are both older, and have very little pace between them. If SJM and dylan go, we will need to find at least one DCM who can and will run and run, break up play and spray passes.

Pretty Boy
22-04-2018, 01:29 PM
There's a bit of a rebuild needed no doubt. Age and/or injuries are against the likes of McGregor and Gray as well.

We have the structure in place that makes me confident we can replace players with similar quality though. There has been the odd dud but on the whole Stubbs and Lennon have both recruited well.

Iggy Pope
22-04-2018, 01:37 PM
Whitty and bartley won't come close to replacing SJM and Dylan IMO. Bartley needs a physical battle, otherwise he offers very little, especially in terms of passing range. He either dominates or is fairly anonymous. Whitty has passing range, but unlike Bartley doesn't have much physical presence. They are both older, and have very little pace between them. If SJM and dylan go, we will need to find at least one DCM who can and will run and run, break up play and spray passes.

If McGinn and McGeouch go we will need two replacements. All the other names mentioned (Bartley, Swanson, Slivka, Allan etc) are already part of a squad that's been doing brilliantly and offering the depth we need. If we replace those two with one he will be a player unlike anyone we've ever seen at Easter Rd. I trust the manager and the commercial custodians to get it right.

SonOfDavidFrancey
22-04-2018, 01:38 PM
I must say I woke up this morning with the same sobering thought that yesterday’s match was a high point that might foreshadow the breaking up of the squad.

However having watched yesterday’s match on TV I was struck by what a hyperprofessional set up ER looks like and this is echoed in the way Leanne, Neil and the director of football are doing their jobs.I don’t think these people will be accepting the break up as inevitable and I believe they will be doing unseen work to ensure that if they go it will be on the best terms and if they don’t that it will be part of a clear vision of how the team is being built.. Other signs are good like the consistent success of the academy teams. There is a feeling that an ambitious but sensible strategy is in place.

Worth remembering that the second half of season success was based on some nifty business in the Jan transfer window. I’ve some confidence that so long as Neil stays we will continue to move forward as we have this season.

hibbyfraelibby
22-04-2018, 03:32 PM
Och you ken who I mean :greengrin

He has a brother Ken too?

wookie70
22-04-2018, 03:39 PM
Getting a good price for SJM will make the transition much easier. I doubt we will be able to replace McGeouch too so it probably needs Lennon to think of the formation to get similar results and performances when the new players come in. He may not be able to keep going with the hugely successful 3-5-2. If SJM and Dylan both exit along with some of the other Cup Heroes Lennon will really have to prove his worth in the transfer market. Winter was a great window and hopefully there will be more like that rather than the couple before that.

As said the playing potential will be hard enough to replace but the heart is being torn out of the team that won the cup and that means it is the start of a new era. No reason why it can't be even more successful.

Thecat23
22-04-2018, 03:42 PM

I’ll be very surprised if Danny is with us next season. Let’s be honest here I like him but he’s not anywhere near the level Allan, McGinn etc are on. I think we’ll replace McGinn with another good midfielder though so I’m more optimistic than down.

BlackSheep
22-04-2018, 03:44 PM
For me I think we have more chance of getting Mcginn to sign a wee extension than we do in keeping McGeouch...

with Dylan's injury history I think he will be looking for a move that will set him up financially post-football... I will not be surprised to see him playing for a London team next year... say Fulham or the like. His girlfriend works at STV and they have a branch down in London that she would slot right into.

McGinn seem very happy and I think he is enjoying being the driving force in Hibs’ resurgence in the past few years. If we get into Europe I could see him staying at least til Christmas.

If we lose McGeouch and keep Mcginn then I can see a less than frantic summer recruitment drive.

What a result it would be to keep both, but I can’t see it.

CmoantheHibs
22-04-2018, 05:25 PM
I do not know how far and wide our scouting network covers but players similar to Dylan (fantastic technique and great at keeping possession and dictating the pace of the game) are much more commonplace in the southern European countries which are more technically based. I think there is a good chance that if Dylan leaves that we may bring in a replacement from that region. Although the odds seem to favour Dylan moving on I have a feeling he will be here next season. Lets hope so.
I think SJM will be away and would be the harder to replace but I'm not worried about how we will replace either if they leave. In fact it would be exciting times seeing who we bring in. Its nice to have faith in our recruitment team so whatever will be will be and I'm relaxed about it.

ancient hibee
22-04-2018, 05:33 PM
For me I think we have more chance of getting Mcginn to sign a wee extension than we do in keeping McGeouch...

with Dylan's injury history I think he will be looking for a move that will set him up financially post-football... I will not be surprised to see him playing for a London team next year... say Fulham or the like. His girlfriend works at STV and they have a branch down in London that she would slot right into.

McGinn seem very happy and I think he is enjoying being the driving force in Hibs’ resurgence in the past few years. If we get into Europe I could see him staying at least til Christmas.

If we lose McGeouch and keep Mcginn then I can see a less than frantic summer recruitment drive.

If Fulham get promotion they’ll be looking for much better players than Dylan.In fact,even if they don’t.

BlackSheep
22-04-2018, 05:44 PM
If Fulham get promotion they’ll be looking for much better players than Dylan.In fact,even if they don’t.

That’s a matter of opinion, I guess we disagree. I rate McGeouch very highly and think he would do a great job at Championship or even lower premiership level.

hibsbollah
22-04-2018, 05:49 PM
He has a brother Ken too?

Barry :greengrin

HairyBrain
22-04-2018, 05:58 PM
That’s a matter of opinion, I guess we disagree. I rate McGeouch very highly and think he would do a great job at Championship or even lower premiership level.Totally agree, he's the type of player that I think would be even better playing with better players. Needs to work a bit on his defensive game though.

James McArthur eeked out an alright premiership career at palace. And I know who I'd rather have.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Northernhibee
22-04-2018, 06:05 PM
I don't believe it is. It's the beginning of a new chapter. If there was anyone you wouldn't expect to hear it from its me but our manager in the last six months has shown he has a vision for this club that will keep driving us forward. Stubbs gave us our pride back, Lennon gave us the teeth and it can't and won't stop there.

We're not losing what made this team a great Hibs team, we've only just begun.

jeffers
22-04-2018, 06:32 PM
I’ll be very surprised if Danny is with us next season. Let’s be honest here I like him but he’s not anywhere near the level Allan, McGinn etc are on. I think we’ll replace McGinn with another good midfielder though so I’m more optimistic than down.

I'd be disappointed if he is allowed to leave. For various reasons this season hasn't worked out for him as well as it could have, but he was excellent on Saturday against the team and midfield who have strolled the league. If he can play like that against Celtic there is absolutely no reason why he can't do that against the other teams in the league. If McGeouch leaves then I hope that gives Swanson more of an opportunity.

Lago
22-04-2018, 06:37 PM
Oh dear we're doomed, doomed I say:greengrin
Lets enjoy the good times while we can, may get a pleasant surprise with the way the team shapes up next season. Key is N. L & his management team in my opinion.

bingo70
22-04-2018, 06:37 PM

I don’t doubt we’ll sign very good players to replace Mcginn and Mcgeouch, my concern is if they’ll ‘get’ Scottish football as quickly as we need them too.

You don’t get a much better pedigree than the likes of Slivka but look how long it’s taking him to get used to our game. I don’t think there’s any obvious target within our league that could hit the ground running.

hibsbollah
22-04-2018, 06:40 PM
I'd be disappointed if he is allowed to leave. For various reasons this season hasn't worked out for him as well as it could have, but he was excellent on Saturday against the team and midfield who have strolled the league. If he can play like that against Celtic there is absolutely no reason why he can't do that against the other teams in the league. If McGeouch leaves then I hope that gives Swanson more of an opportunity.

:agree: no reason at all why he can't go on to dominate games next season.

Crazyhorse
22-04-2018, 07:03 PM
When i was watching yesterdays brilliant performance it was tinged with a little sadness knowing that this wonderful team has reached the point in the cycle where the best parts are plundered by the rich and powerful.

Watching the power of McGinn and the Hibs Iniesta McGeough dictating play against quality opponents sadly confirms the end of a great chapter.

Future International Captain McGinn looks like a perfect replacement for Scott Brown and IMO is now the outstanding midfield player in Scotland. He hunts the ball down like pacman, taking out everything in it's path. Every good team needs a John McGinn. IMO he could now play in the English Premiership given he now has great strength to go with the relentless engine. Even at £4 million I would say he would represent a no risk absolute bargain buy for any team outside the top 6 in the EPL as they could easily get their money back at any time from an English Championship team if it doesn't quite work out. I really hope we can get an appropriate fee for such an exceptional player.

McGeough's situation is different in that his injury history and slight build may count against him getting a big move. Unfortunately for Hibs and fortunately for McGeough he is out of contract which means an English Championship will sign him up for free on a 2 year contract on a bigger wage than Hibs can afford.
IMO Hibs should push the boat out for him and even add an agreement to let him go if an offer of 300k comes in for him in the future and he wants to go.

Without green specs what does your head say on this issue?

P.S. Sorry for pissing on the chips.

I know what you mean and you rightly identify our midfield which has really propelled the team to some magnificent performances this season. My feeling is however that this is the Lennon chapter in our history and it is probably only when he goes that we could say it will be the end of an era.

Keith_M
22-04-2018, 07:24 PM
Jeez, what are you people like!

I bet when Summer starts, you start warning everybody to remember it doesn't last long and will soon be over.

For Pete's sake cheer up and just enjoy watchin the fitbaw!

:greengrin

givescotlandfreedom
22-04-2018, 07:30 PM
Jeez, what are you people like!

I bet when Summer starts, you start warning everybody to remember it doesn't last long and will soon be over.

For Pete's sake cheer up and just enjoy watchin the fitbaw!

:greengrin

This! We all know we'll have our ups and downs supporting Hibs. Let's enjoy the good as long as we can! Lenny might work some magic in the summer.

SirDavidsNapper
22-04-2018, 07:31 PM
Or start of a new era 😉

NORTHERNHIBBY
22-04-2018, 08:18 PM
Or start of a new era 😉

I see it that way too. We are building to last.

Northernhibee
22-04-2018, 08:37 PM
Winning the cup was the end of an era, since then the potential of this club has started to be unlocked.

Losing two or three players won't be the end of that.

majorhibs
22-04-2018, 08:48 PM
Sorry but there is no way in the world we’ll get £5m for him. Not even close to that figure.

Why do you anti-Hibs stand in the corner merchants always always try to do this to my team?

Captain Trips
22-04-2018, 09:19 PM
Perhaps it's the end of an era of crap league finishes in SPL.

Criswell
22-04-2018, 10:33 PM

If he goes, then the fee we get for him could depend on how many clubs are keen to acquire him. The old bidding war scenario might kick-in.

we are hibs
23-04-2018, 08:22 AM
Players like Boyle, Bartley, Hanlon ect remaining will mean it won't be the end just yet. We still have a solid base to the side.

Jones28
23-04-2018, 09:48 AM
I've got every confidence we have the ability to make signings to compensate for losing players.

jgl07
23-04-2018, 03:41 PM
I've got every confidence we have the ability to make signings to compensate for losing players.
The point is that Hibs are currently averaging over 18,000 and this is likely to be higher next season. Compare this to the 9,000 to 10,000 of a few years back, so we should be able to pay better wages and attract better players.

Hibs should have an advantage over Hearts and arguable Aberdeen (although there seems to be strange things happening there). Hearts have to finish off and pay for their ‘Megastand’ while Aberdeen need to build a whole new stadium.

The rest, bar the bigots, are far behind in financial terms, especially with Dundee United floundering in the Championship.

AgentDaleCooper
23-04-2018, 03:55 PM

Our system only allows for 1 player like swanson/allan/slivka. Part of what makes us so strong IMO is that we have two very gifted DCMs sitting in front of the 3 very good centre backs, two of whom have licence to roam forward, while also providing cover on the flanks to support the wing backs, stevenson and boyle. Replacing mcgeouch with swanson would mean we'd be playing with two free-role attacking midfielders, which would leave us exposed at the back.

Jim44
23-04-2018, 04:19 PM
Unsurprisingly, the DR is reporting that both McGinn and McGeouch are strongly in Brenda’s radar as part of their build up for next season. There’s no denying the likelihood of one or both of them going to Parkhead but it might take a combination of both of them for Scott Allan and a huge wedge to clinch a deal. One thing’s for certain, Lennon, despite his soft spot for Celtic, won’t want to be the the loser in any deal.

BlackSheep
24-04-2018, 07:10 AM

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2546363/hibs-john-mcginn-special-move-summer/