PDA

View Full Version : This will sound ridiculous

Islington Hibs
22-04-2018, 08:34 AM
At the start of the season Hibs were 150-1 to win the league. I didn't expect it but for the first time in 45 years in supporting Hibs I genuinely thought we had a slim chance and put a tenner on perhaps dreaming after Leicester proved anything is possible. Money lost but in truth we are not that far off the pace. Celtic are clearly a good team and very consistent but they are beatable I think and I think Aberdeen have possibly peaked. The Rangers are the wild card next season but look divided and under-performing their potential. Rebuilding takes time.

This is a big if but if we can keep this team together particularly with the heartbeat of our midfield (2 out of 3 of McGinn, McGeough and Allen) I think we could run Celtic very close next season. The spirit of the team is immense, their skill and hard work, in my view, consistently the best I have seen in my time supporting the club and the support is really behind the team in a really big way. Even when a goal down there is a belief we can pull it back and often do. What a contrast.

Sure Celtic are favourites next season and may well spend their way to success but for skill and team spirit we, if we hold this bunch together, I think we have a genuine chance. Would be genuinely interested if others agree or whether this is just puff after a great result.

ACLeith
22-04-2018, 08:37 AM
The odds next season will be a lot less than that 🙄

Jones28
22-04-2018, 08:38 AM
It's proper dreamland that we keep this team together never mind challenge Celtic.

SChibs
22-04-2018, 08:39 AM
Imo hibs/hearts/Aberdeen could win the league. Obviously hearts aren't very good at the moment but they could improve. It would take Celtic signing a bit of a dud for it to happen though and we'd need to improve. If Celtic were to sign a dud and they won 3 less games that's 6-9 points less. Pair that with 2 more wins for an ever improving hibs side there's not much of a gap if any.

Hibbyradge
22-04-2018, 08:44 AM
If we kept the current squad intact, it would be extremely difficult to match Celtc.

We face the possibility of losing our entire midfield, our strikers and winger.

The close season will be hugely important. If we don't recruit well, we could be battling relegation, never mind challenging at the top so it's impossible to forecast anything now.

We're in a good place just now. Let's just enjoy it and not get too far ahead of ourselves.

SlickShoes
22-04-2018, 08:49 AM
Honestly if we keep the team together that would be the real miracle. Even if we can keep the majority of this team I would be over the moon, I really hope its possible but you just never know whats going to happen. We are currently good and I am just going to enjoy it while it lasts and let the people running our club do their thing, since being relegated they have done everything correctly so I don't see why that would change now.

southsider
22-04-2018, 09:03 AM
In the past we have sold players at important times. Was too young to see Joe Baker but to get a full cap for england whilst playing for Hibs says it all. Selling Colin Stein broke my 9 year old heart. We then sold Marinello, Cormack and so it went on. We now have huge crowds at ER and don't have to sell,

Leith Green
22-04-2018, 09:06 AM
For this to happen Celtic would need Rodgers to leave and his replacement would need to be a bit of a duffer. Stranger things have happened.

Billy Whizz
22-04-2018, 09:07 AM
We should be Celtic’s nearest challengers next season
No 1 reason why we shouldn’t sell John to them

snooky
22-04-2018, 09:46 AM
Celtic have the buying power. Should any team challenge them they will just buy up their key player(s) to weaken them. This has happened many times before with both sides of the OF being the culprits. Add to that the underlying agenda the football authorities have in ensuring the status quo, then the chances of success for other teams are next to zero. Every now and then an exceptional team comes along and does manage to rock the boat against the odds. e.g. The Tornados, Hearts 86, Aberdeen under Fergie, and Jim McLean's Dundee Utd side.
Sadly, I don't forsee any change in the future. The Bosman Rule didn't help the situation.
That said, if we can replace any leavers with a bit of quality, then maybe next season we can really "give it a go", as Yogi would say.

jacomo
22-04-2018, 10:09 AM
At the start of the season Hibs were 150-1 to win the league. I didn't expect it but for the first time in 45 years in supporting Hibs I genuinely thought we had a slim chance and put a tenner on perhaps dreaming after Leicester proved anything is possible. Money lost but in truth we are not that far off the pace. Celtic are clearly a good team and very consistent but they are beatable I think and I think Aberdeen have possibly peaked. The Rangers are the wild card next season but look divided and under-performing their potential. Rebuilding takes time.

This is a big if but if we can keep this team together particularly with the heartbeat of our midfield (2 out of 3 of McGinn, McGeough and Allen) I think we could run Celtic very close next season. The spirit of the team is immense, their skill and hard work, in my view, consistently the best I have seen in my time supporting the club and the support is really behind the team in a really big way. Even when a goal down there is a belief we can pull it back and often do. What a contrast.

Sure Celtic are favourites next season and may well spend their way to success but for skill and team spirit we, if we hold this bunch together, I think we have a genuine chance. Would be genuinely interested if others agree or whether this is just puff after a great result.

I put £10 on too!

Obviously that won’t come in, but happy to take my winnings from very generous 5:1 odds yesterday.

jacomo
22-04-2018, 10:10 AM
For this to happen Celtic would need Rodgers to leave and his replacement would need to be a bit of a duffer. Stranger things have happened.

Rodgers has a shelf life. His squad might get bored of him and stop listening.

hibbyfraelibby
22-04-2018, 10:11 AM
Celtic have the buying power. Should any team challenge them they will just buy up their key player(s) to weaken them. This has happened many times before with both sides of the OF being the culprits. Add to that the underlying agenda the football authorities have in ensuring the status quo, then the chances of success for other teams are next to zero. Every now and then an exceptional team comes along and does manage to rock the boat against the odds. e.g. The Tornados, Hearts 86, Aberdeen under Fergie, and Jim McLean's Dundee Utd side.
Sadly, I don't forsee any change in the future. The Bosman Rule didn't help the situation.
That said, if we can replace any leavers with a bit of quality, then maybe next season we can really "give it a go", as Yogi would say.

Wonder if Brexit will play a role in 2019 onward. No more freedom of movement for journeyman or middling players from across Europe who will now need proper visas? Might hinder Celtic bringing in a few players.

22-04-2018, 10:40 AM
In the league Aberdeen have lost all 3 times and Rangers have lost twice and drawn once with Celtic. They could have kept your bet alive a bit longer if 2 or 3 of those losses had been draws.

Appreciate it is all ifs, buts and maybes. Aberdeen, the 2nd best team in the country for the last couple of years, haven't laid a glove on them with a 2-0 and 2 x 3-0 defeats.

where'stheslope
22-04-2018, 10:51 AM
Statistics say that running to Old Firm to the wire only puts your player right in the shop window, and at a lot less price that the Old Firm demand for their players?
If you look at teams who have in the past been up there with the Old Firm, the next season they all usually fall away, usually as they have lost their better players and have to bed in new players!!!
The only team that has managed it is Aberdeen, but that mostly due to Rangers not being in the league for a long time.
For me we have got to keep all our players and strengthen from there to have any chance of keeping pace with the top 4 and maybe push on to greater things!!!

The Modfather
22-04-2018, 10:54 AM
It Would be funny if Celtc get to 9 in a row and the Old Firm work themselves into a frenzy at the prospect of 10 in a row. Then either us or Aberdeen etc, who couldn’t care less about 10 in a row or what one of the gruesome twosome wins the league, are the ones to stop 10 in a row 😀

emerald green
22-04-2018, 10:58 AM
We should be Celtic’s nearest challengers next season
No 1 reason why we shouldn’t sell John to them

The difficulty with John McGinn is he might want to join Celtic. Wherever he goes, he will be a huge loss to Hibs and extremely hard to replace. I thought he was outstanding yesterday.

1van Sprou7e
22-04-2018, 11:03 AM

Not sure about that. Rodgers' team was obviously fantastic in his first season but they have been underwhelming at times this season and will need to shake up their squad in the summer

Depending on how that goes they could be there for the taking next season, who knows

Also think when Rodgers eventually leaves they'll probably go for Lennon or Steve Clarke

KeithTheHibby
22-04-2018, 12:24 PM
I’m not so sure Celtic would pay a fee for JMG. They can wait a year and get him for nothing or six months and sign him on a pre-contract.

Hermit Crab
22-04-2018, 02:15 PM
I’m not so sure Celtic would pay a fee for JMG. They can wait a year and get him for nothing or six months and sign him on a pre-contract.

Thats a risk, some other team may sneak in and buy him

DavidDavidGray
22-04-2018, 02:27 PM
We have the ability currently to challenge for it, probably not win it. I personally feel that the only main person leaving in the summer is McGeouch. Think MCGinn will stay for one more season and be convinced to sign a new deal and I think both Kamberi and Maclaren will join. Then it’ll be about putting away then smaller teams as we have shown with this team that we can beat the best teams.

If McGinn and McGeouch leave then this summer is huge. The chance is there to challenge and cement ourself as one of Scotlands top 3 at least. Big ask but feel our players are up to the task.