PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Football

bingo70
21-04-2018, 08:42 PM
Love it......

I wasn’t there today but from the radio it sounded like it was another terrific advert for our game.

Aside from today’s game though, league title will be won later than in the English premiership, championship and the German top division. There’s genuine excitement about who is going to get the European places, same with the relegation battle.

Aside from the big two.......hibs are selling out, hearts nearly filling their tin pot wee stadium, Aberdeen moving to a new stadium and then you see things like the st Mirren fans doing a big organised march to the stadium, it’s absolutely brilliant to see.

On top of that you’re seeing nearly all players that go down south forging out great careers for themselves which shows we’re both bringing through good young players and also giving them a platform to play.

IMO the game up here really is on the up. It’s a shame more of the media don’t try to promote it as well as they should. Michael Stewart is the only Scottish pundit that talks up our game, Chris Sutton also tries his best even if he is a wind up merchant.

Anyway, starting to waffle now but sure you get my point.

Mon’ the revolution.........

Jonnyboy
21-04-2018, 08:43 PM
Love it......

I wasn’t there today but from the radio it sounded like it was another terrific advert for our game.

Aside from today’s game though, league title will be won later than in the English premiership, championship and the German top division. There’s genuine excitement about who is going to get the European places, same with the relegation battle.

Aside from the big two.......hibs are selling out, hearts nearly filling their tin pot wee stadium, Aberdeen moving to a new stadium and then you see things like the st Mirren fans doing a big organised march to the stadium, it’s absolutely brilliant to see.

On top of that you’re seeing nearly all players that go down south forging out great careers for themselves which shows we’re both bringing through good young players and also giving them a platform to play.

IMO the game up here really is on the up. It’s a shame more of the media don’t try to promote it as well as they should. Michael Stewart is the only Scottish pundit that talks up our game, Chris Sutton also tries his best even if he is a wind up merchant.

Excellent post, bingo :agree:

bingo70
21-04-2018, 08:48 PM
Excellent post, bingo :agree:

There’s more.......

Sorry, forgot to add, meanwhile, the Scottish pundits that are based in England but don’t actually watch our football continue to mock it at every opportunity. The likes of Charlie Nicholas and ‘Rambo’, couldn’t tell you the first thing about the teams in our league but they keep scoffing at it at every opportunity. The bbc did a comedy video of bloopers form Scottish football a couple of weeks ago on the same weekend there was about 4 it 5 absolute screamers.

Everyone involved in our game needs to start sticking up for it more imo.

SquashedFrogg
21-04-2018, 08:49 PM
Love it......

Great post! Agree 100%

Thecat23
21-04-2018, 08:51 PM
Well said.

jonty
21-04-2018, 08:53 PM
but... but... but.... Armageddon.....

I'm glad those idiots have been proven wrong

Pretty Boy
21-04-2018, 08:56 PM
There’s more.......

Sorry, forgot to add, meanwhile, the Scottish pundits that are based in England but don’t actually watch our football continue to mock it at every opportunity. The likes of Charlie Nicholas and ‘Rambo’, couldn’t tell you the first thing about the teams in our league but they keep scoffing at it at every opportunity. The bbc did a comedy video of bloopers form Scottish football a couple of weeks ago on the same weekend there was about 4 it 5 absolute screamers.

Everyone involved in our game needs to start sticking up for it more imo.

For all his faults Chris Sutton, an Englishman of course, is very good at talking up our game when it deserves to be.

Meanwhile as you say there are Scots down south who either love putting the boot in themselves or play along with the joke when they could speak up and actually defend our game.

bingo70
21-04-2018, 08:58 PM
For all his faults Chris Sutton, an Englishman of course, is very good at talking up our game when it deserves to be.

Meanwhile as you say there are Scots down south who either love putting the boot in themselves or play along with the joke when they could speak up and actually defend our game.

Neil Lennon does the same at every opportunity too, again though, it’s taking a northern Irishman to do what the Scottish pundits should be doing.

JimboHibs
21-04-2018, 09:03 PM
Love it......

Not a loaded question but who is forging a great career moving South?? I honestly can't think of many who have made the so called step up ?

sauzee6_2
21-04-2018, 09:06 PM
Very good post, however the shame should be on the SPFL / Neil Doncaster.

We have a great product - one that is improving and has a lot of potential, however this in in spite of those running the game.

Tv money, sponsorship, fan experience (to mention a few) are all miles behind what it should be. Imagine where our game would be if we had a governing body that really saw the potential and made savvy business decisions.

If only......

bingo70
21-04-2018, 09:10 PM
Not a loaded question but who is forging a great career moving South?? I honestly can't think of many who have made the so called step up ?

Look at almost any player that moves to the English championship, we’re a great market for them and have been for a number of years.

Andy Robertson
Liam Lindsay
Barry Douglas
Johnny Russel (I know he’s moved on now)
Craig Forsyth (think that’s the name of the guy that moved to derby?)
Scott Fraser
Callum Paterson

Can probably still include the likes of Steven Fletcher in there too. Sure there are others that I’ve missed but there’s plenty of examples.

Gatecrasher
21-04-2018, 09:12 PM
Spot on, I love Scottish football. There's a real charm and rawness about it. I hope the new TV deal reflects the direction it seems to be heading in.

Pretty Boy
21-04-2018, 09:15 PM
Look at almost any player that moves to the English championship, we’re a great market for them and have been for a number of years.

Andy Robertson
Liam Lindsay
Barry Douglas
Scott Fraser
Callum Paterson

Can probably still include the likes of Steven Fletcher in there too. Sure there are others that I’ve missed but there’s plenty of examples.

McArthur and McCarthy have both done well in England. Whittaker and Naismith had good careers down there too.

bingo70
21-04-2018, 09:15 PM

We have a great product - one that is improving and has a lot of potential, however this in in spite of those running the game.

Tv money, sponsorship, fan experience (to mention a few) are all miles behind what it should be. Imagine where our game would be if we had a governing body that really saw the potential and made savvy business decisions.

If only......

Completely agree but I feel the ineptitude of them has almost galvanised some of the supporters in our country to prove them wrong.

Imo people are becoming more and more disillusioned with all the money in English (and champions league) football and we should be playing on the fact we still have the soul in our game and it’s proper clubs playing proper football. Not billionaires playing real life fantasy football.

I’m buzzing about the Scottish football game tomorrow and can’t wait until next weekend.

bingo70
21-04-2018, 09:19 PM
McArthur and McCarthy have both done well in England. Whittaker and Naismith had good careers down there too.

Barry McKay had a great start to his career at Nottingham forest, no idea how he’s done recently though?

Christoph Berra would need to be included in that bracket too but I didn’t want to start going back too far.

Sone Aluko was sold for £7.5m in the summer, not sure how that fits into my point but when you see how bang average he was up here i feel it’s relevant somehow.

JimBHibees
21-04-2018, 09:23 PM
Love it......

Agree totally too easy to talk down the game especially if we foolishly try and compare with English premier league. Great game today, great atmosphere, brilliant attacking style from both teams much better than playing against teams hacking players down at every opportunity. Great advert and great win for Hibs.

Phil MaGlass
21-04-2018, 10:07 PM
Not only do we have a good squad we have a great team of players that play well together, you dont have to be world beaters to playbwell as a team, look at england they have very good players,but, pish together

Michael
21-04-2018, 10:13 PM
We always put the boot in the English game too to be fair. Love Scottish though.

overdrive
21-04-2018, 10:17 PM
There’s too many people up here who are of the “Scottish fitba is sheight, I’d rather watch English football, even at the 4th tier than the pish up here” ilk. The English talked down our game so everyone there started to believe it, including us. We talked down our game so much we started to believe it even more. We talked it down some more and everyone else started to believe it which probably put players off from playing up here. The whole “there’s only two big clubs that matter” nonsense didn’t/doesn’t help either. I remember listening to an ex-colleague on a night out have a massive dig at Scottish football whilst claiming to be a big fan of some mid-tier English Premiership club. He wasn’t happy when I told him that it was people like him who were partly responsible for Scottish football being perceived that way. My father-in-law (an Aberdeen fan) is the same but he’s an armchair fan.

We’re starting to get past that. We have some very good managers up here now and some decent players too. The league is probably the most competitive in overall terms than I can remember it being.

It made me cringe hearing the Ginger Judas Prick come out with the (and I’m paraphrasing here) “we have some good players but really they are mostly crap so we have to play to our strengths” nonsense before the last international games. If you keep telling the players that they are inferior often enough they will start to believe it.

bubblesmorrison
21-04-2018, 10:26 PM
Best highest paid players dont always make for the best league for enjoyment. I have said for years that scottish football is not always pritty but it can so often be exciting.

Hibbyradge
21-04-2018, 10:32 PM
The top teams in the SPL are decent and could maybe make a fist of it in the English championship.

Given the money the EPL teams get from TV etc, I have no doubt Celtc would be challenging at the very top.

Otherwise, the rest of Scottish football is poor.

The Pointer
21-04-2018, 10:54 PM
As the o.p. said, Scottish football is on the up. There are five teams now scrambling for the top and the bottom six are all taking points off each other leading to a very exciting end to the season. It makes compulsive listening on the radio.

We've somehow managed over the months and years (Lewey. Hanlon etc.) to find a manager and team who can gel and play at an extremely high level. It was gurgling away for a couple of years when we were in the Championship but it came to a head on 21/5/16. This in turn massively increased our fan base and we're now starting to see a fair increase in the number of people on social media, both here and increasingly, abroad, who are reacting to our success with such enthusiasm.

Not just results but some superb media productions from the club as well as SoL are playing their part in the whole image of Hibs going around the world and being seen in a completely different manner from a few years ago.

I've said to my son and daughter that they should enjoy these times because they are just getting better and, as a long suffering Hibbie, I know good times such as these don't come along often.

There's another level and I want to be on it.

GGTTH!

givescotlandfreedom
21-04-2018, 10:57 PM
It's underrated. Sutton talks it up well.

BigT-Hibeez
21-04-2018, 11:07 PM

If only......

I was about to say something similar, gladly you beat me to it..

Time to kick out the dinosaurs that are still stuck in the 1970's, and are holding Scottish football back..

Dashing Bob S
21-04-2018, 11:16 PM
We basically rule

IDHibs
21-04-2018, 11:18 PM
The top teams in the SPL are decent and could maybe make a fist of it in the English championship.

Given the money the EPL teams get from TV etc, I have no doubt Celtc would be challenging at the very top.

Really ? If confirmation were needed of negativity, you deliver in spades.

21-04-2018, 11:18 PM
Scottish football may not have the profile, money and glamour of the English Premiership but it has far more passion IMO. Not saying clubs down south don't have passionate fans but you see at Old Trafford, Anfield, Emiratess etc etc every week bags of tourists, watching most of the game from behind a camera lens.

GreenLake
21-04-2018, 11:58 PM
Love it......

This is one of the best Scottish football games I have seen on TV. I really wish I could have been there as the atmosphere sounded amazing all through the game. The ref wasn't too bad either, until we went 2 up and then he seemed to go all out to turn things around.

dp00
22-04-2018, 06:18 AM
Is part of this is also down to English clubs seeing Scotland as a good place for there young talent to come up and play ?

You see barker at hibs , Roberts at Celtic from city but the other English teams seem happy to send players up to get experience too, Mitchell at hearts from united and I’m sure there are more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calumhibee1
22-04-2018, 06:23 AM
Ive said this for a while now - I’d ALWAYS watch a Scottish game ahead of an EPL game. I was at Spurs V Man City last weekend, it was absolutely soulless in terms of atmosphere and there was even folk with half and half scarves and Man City fans in the Spurs end. It’s more like a show down there rather than proper football.

Jones28
22-04-2018, 06:37 AM

Ryan Fraser at Bournemouth

Caversham Green
22-04-2018, 07:20 AM
Barry McKay had a great start to his career at Nottingham forest, no idea how he’s done recently though?

Christoph Berra would need to be included in that bracket too but I didn’t want to start going back too far.

Sone Aluko was sold for £7.5m in the summer, not sure how that fits into my point but when you see how bang average he was up here i feel it’s relevant somehow.

I don't disagree with your general sentiment but Aluko is a bad example. Bang average would be a huge improvement on how he's playing now.

If bang rubbish was a thing, that's what he'd be.

patlowe
22-04-2018, 09:06 AM
Love it......

Great post and totally agree. While watching the game yesterday I was also struck by how unique a product we have up here - fast, committed, attacking, exciting football with a raucous, authentic atmosphere.

It's predominantly homegrown as well. On that note, I reckon you could mould a decent Scotland side simply from the players that were on the pitch at ER yesterday: Gordon, Whittaker, Hendry, Hanlon, Tierney, Boyle, McGinn, McGeouch, Brown, McGregor, Griffiths. Not a realistic team but worth highlighting the homegrown talent on show, not to mention those not playing (eg Armstrong) or those who maybe aren't at that level but epitomise the positives in our game (eg Stevenson).

SirDavidsNapper
22-04-2018, 09:21 AM
Meanwhile in English football

https://twitter.com/etisalat/status/985567113489338369

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Danderhall Hibs
22-04-2018, 09:24 AM

Give the money the EPL teams get to Scottish teams and the likes of Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen would challenge Burnley, Stoke, Bournemouth etc.

murray26
22-04-2018, 09:28 AM
Love it......

Your right.. we’re to quick to put ourselves down up here.. love reading positive posts like this and %100 spot on..

southsider
22-04-2018, 09:35 AM
Spot on, I love Scottish football. There's a real charm and rawness about it. I hope the new TV deal reflects the direction it seems to be heading in.

The Sottish league is still to be won ( although will be nx week ) The Spanish, German and English leagues have been wrapped up.

Eyrie
22-04-2018, 12:23 PM
Give the money the EPL teams get to Scottish teams and the likes of Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen would challenge Burnley, Stoke, Bournemouth etc.

I'd see those three clubs as varying between mid-Championship and mid-Premiership, depending on their managers and playing squads at any given moment.

Celtc and a well run Sevco would be Premiership clubs chasing cups and the Europa League with ambitions to break into the top six if they get the right backing.

NAE NOOKIE
22-04-2018, 12:26 PM
If we could put on games like yesterday more often then everything would be rosy, two teams going for it inside a packed noisy stadium.

As has been said our game isn't talked up enough, over half the teams in the league still have something to play for with 4 games to go and crowds are on the up all over the country .... I'm willing to bet that overall most premiership clubs will have a decent average if held up against the last few years and Hibs are way way up on the last few years.

If only the dolts running and reporting on our game would wake up from their stupor and highlight the positives, of which there are many :aok:

beensaidbefore
22-04-2018, 12:42 PM

Andy Robertson
Liam Lindsay
Barry Douglas
Scott Fraser
Callum Paterson

Charlie Adam?

Danderhall Hibs
22-04-2018, 12:46 PM
I'd see those three clubs as varying between mid-Championship and mid-Premiership, depending on their managers and playing squads at any given moment.

Celtc and a well run Sevco would be Premiership clubs chasing cups and the Europa League with ambitions to break into the top six if they get the right backing.

:agree: same as the clubs I used in my example. Chuck in anyone in the bottom 14 of the premier league and we’d be on a par with them.

When the broadcasters do comparisons now they’re basing it on where everyone is now - however on a level playing field we (or dare I say Hearts) would be a bigger draw for attracting players than Burnley, Stoke, Middlesbrough, Sunderland, Wigan, Swansea etc etc.

SirDavidsNapper
22-04-2018, 12:53 PM
Only Man United are bigger clubs than Celtic and Rangers. With the financial backing they'd be winning leagues down there with the best players and managers in the world. Will never happen though. Pleasing.

Is It On....
22-04-2018, 12:57 PM
Great post and totally agree. While watching the game yesterday I was also struck by how unique a product we have up here - fast, committed, attacking, exciting football with a raucous, authentic atmosphere.

It's predominantly homegrown as well. On that note, I reckon you could mould a decent Scotland side simply from the players that were on the pitch at ER yesterday: Gordon, Whittaker, Hendry, Hanlon, Tierney, Boyle, McGinn, McGeouch, Brown, McGregor, Griffiths. Not a realistic team but worth highlighting the homegrown talent on show, not to mention those not playing (eg Armstrong) or those who maybe aren't at that level but epitomise the positives in our game (eg Stevenson).

That line-up would an improvement on the current Scottish side....our edge would be that we would play like a club side..similar to Northern Ireland..

malcolm
22-04-2018, 10:13 PM
Only Man United are bigger clubs than Celtic and Rangers. With the financial backing they'd be winning leagues down there with the best players and managers in the world. Will never happen though. Pleasing.

Personally I’d like to think they’d be more like Newcastle or even Leeds.. in particular rangers who outwith a rather odious west coast/ulster drawing factor don’t really have much to offer and nothing that the wider world might find attractive - the only attraction that they have as a pair down south is a bigged up single fixture depicted as some kind of tribal war rather than a football match. :wink:

matty_f
22-04-2018, 10:40 PM
I'd much rather watch a Scottish game than the vast majority of EPL games.

Michael
22-04-2018, 10:53 PM
Personally I’d like to think they’d be more like Newcastle or even Leeds.. in particular rangers who outwith a rather odious west coast/ulster drawing factor don’t really have much to offer and nothing that the wider world might find attractive - the only attraction that they have as a pair down south is a bigged up single fixture depicted as some kind of tribal war rather than a football match. :wink:

I'd say Celtic are a global club and probably the 7th biggest club in Britain. Obviously, it's subjective though. Rangers have never won the European cup and won't really have any support outside Glasgow and glory hunters in Fife etc.

Scott Allan Key
22-04-2018, 11:25 PM
I'd say Celtic are a global club and probably the 7th biggest club in Britain. Obviously, it's subjective though. Rangers have never won the European cup and won't really have any support outside Glasgow and glory hunters in Fife etc.

Rangers are the favoured ‘British’ team in Scotland for a lot of the Union Jack emblazoned right wing numpties that populate many English football grounds sadly. They would play on these traditions to draw support across Britain if in EPL. I can remember off the top of my head, Aston Villa and Chelsea supporters who’ve expressed allegiance to the Hun when Scottish football was raised

Scouse Hibee
23-04-2018, 05:35 AM

That's some statement and totally incorrect. Only Man Utd bigger than those two!

Brizo
23-04-2018, 06:15 AM
I gave up my sky sports years back and haven't missed watching EPL at all. Most top games were overhyped and more often than not sterile encounters with the teams cancelling each other out. Games involving two lower EPL teams were usually dull and boring. EPL and English Championship may be technically superior but for pure entertainment value I think our footballs much better.

The immoral amounts of cash in English fitba, the total cynicism of players and managers, ST prices at many clubs which prevent traditional fans attending plus the way a lot of the top clubs are now essentially franchises... they can keep it.

For all its faults , and there are many, Scottish football as a product is much better than its often given credit for.

SirDavidsNapper
23-04-2018, 07:56 AM
That's some statement and totally incorrect. Only Man Utd bigger than those two!

In terms of fanbase i don't think there is tbh. I'd place Liverpools behind in 4th. Did Celtic not take quarter of a million fans to Seville? Rangers the same in Manchester. Hate them but they're gigantic clubs.

IGRIGI
23-04-2018, 08:05 AM
If Celtic and Rangers were in the Premiership with the money on offer Celtic would be up there with UTD in terms of size, Rangers on par with Arsenal / Chelsea.

Hibrandenburg
23-04-2018, 08:14 AM
I'd much rather watch a Scottish game than the vast majority of EPL games.

Same here, football for me is about the emotional bond between me and my club. I've no emotional bond with any English club and therefore have no interest in the game there. You could offer me tickets and free transport and accomodation to watch the game that would decide the English Premiership or Cowdenbeath vs Hibs on a rainy November night. I'd be heading north with my big jacket.

malcolm
23-04-2018, 02:34 PM
Rangers are the favoured ‘British’ team in Scotland for a lot of the Union Jack emblazoned right wing numpties that populate many English football grounds sadly. They would play on these traditions to draw support across Britain if in EPL. I can remember off the top of my head, Aston Villa and Chelsea supporters who’ve expressed allegiance to the Hun when Scottish football was raised

So say all those villa and Chelsea fans not actually supporting their team for normal reasons will drop their allegiance based on a love of the British establishment, in favour of a similar allegiance for, in english terms, a backwater team up in jockland :confused:

They are not so much big as beastly and big in english terms is no guarantee of success - the best comparison is the big club up north - Newcastle and they don’t have the downside of the touch of the beast about them. Celtic have some so called romantic view of their roots but not sure how helpful that is in England ..

Not sure why folk are happy to accept and peddle the self important fairy tale of the real brothers Grimm

Crazyhorse
24-04-2018, 12:29 AM
In terms of fanbase i don't think there is tbh. I'd place Liverpools behind in 4th. Did Celtic not take quarter of a million fans to Seville? Rangers the same in Manchester. Hate them but they're gigantic clubs.

Yeah if you believe the Daily Record and Prick Young. It's Wizard of Oz propaganda bollox from the bigot twins.

The gruesome two are dwarfed even by clubs like Leicester in the growing football markets of China/Far East, Sub-Saharan Africa and the MENA.

CropleyWasGod
24-04-2018, 07:00 AM
In terms of fanbase i don't think there is tbh. I'd place Liverpools behind in 4th. Did Celtic not take quarter of a million fans to Seville? Rangers the same in Manchester. Hate them but they're gigantic clubs.No they didn't [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

1van Sprou7e
24-04-2018, 07:50 AM
Imo Celtic and rangers are only eclipsed by man utd and Liverpool in Britain, maybe arsenal too

The likes of city, chelsea, Tottenham have always been fairly big clubs but are not institutions in the same way that the bigot brothers are

blackpoolhibs
24-04-2018, 07:53 AM
Imo Celtic and rangers are only eclipsed by man utd and Liverpool in Britain, maybe arsenal too

The likes of city, chelsea, Tottenham have always been fairly big clubs but are not institutions in the same way that the bigot brothers are

I read this a lot about these clubs, and have never understood what it actually meant? :confused:

heretoday
24-04-2018, 12:24 PM

I think you'd soon get involved in a row if you came out with that down south.

Especially in North London. And Manchester!

heretoday
24-04-2018, 12:26 PM
I read this a lot about these clubs, and have never understood what it actually meant? :confused:

It's where they belong.

1van Sprou7e
24-04-2018, 12:41 PM
I think you'd soon get involved in a row if you came out with that down south.

Especially in North London. And Manchester!

And Manchester?

I really struggle to see how city are bigger than either club but suppose it all depends on how you measure club size

Lancs Harp
24-04-2018, 03:13 PM
Its an age old topic on message boards, what defines a "big" club?

bingo70
24-04-2018, 06:41 PM
Quite disappointing this thread has turned into a thread about critic, rangers and English football.

The whole point of this thread was that to highlight there’s so much more to Scottish football than the old firm.

I also think one of the problems with our game is the need to compare it to English football. It’s a completely different product to what’s on offer down south and I just think we need to celebrate what we’ve got without comparing to a country 10x the size of ours.

Craig_HFC
24-04-2018, 07:15 PM
https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/sport/sport-opinion/old-firm-facts-scottish-football-12709905