PDA

View Full Version : Why the road closed?

Billychaotic182
21-04-2018, 05:10 PM
Today I drove to the game for the first time since moving to Carnoustie. I drive my disabled family members to the game, one who is limited mobility. We were going to park in the disabled parking on St Clair street but the road was closed. We then tried going up by Albion Road but again the road was closed. We tried asking if we could get in as we had two disabled fans but they just said no with no explanation. We ended up having to park quite a bit away from the stadium which left my sister in a bad way. Luckily the result picked her back up but I have to say our treatment by whoever closed the road was disgraceful. We were told by a police officer who we spoke to that this isn’t the first time this has happened and we should contact the club. I don’t want to go sending negative emails to the club if there is an explanation for this. But as we are disabled season ticket holders who are not from Edinburgh it could have been avoided if they could have emailed us to let us know as they have all the details of the people this will effect. Sorry for ranting but to see my family in this distress has put a real dampener on the day.

SirDavidsNapper
21-04-2018, 05:12 PM
I may have missed it before but thats the first time I've noticed the barriers up at St Clair st. Bit strange.

ancient hibee
21-04-2018, 05:23 PM
I don’t see how anyone other than the police has authority to close public highways.

Billychaotic182
21-04-2018, 05:26 PM
I don’t see how anyone other than the police has authority to close public highways.

They were men in high vis jackets. With orange vests and baseball caps.

Moulin Yarns
21-04-2018, 05:26 PM

And local authority. But in this case must be the police.

dp00
21-04-2018, 05:29 PM
Is it maybe not on the back of all the comments about cars speeding around the stadium close to kick off at a previous game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir David Gray
21-04-2018, 05:29 PM
There's not a chance that Hibs will be responsible for taking the decision to close off a public road.

What time did you try to get into St Clair Street?

I know they close it off around 15-20 minutes before kick off for big games and then reopen it again once the game starts.

Billychaotic182
21-04-2018, 05:32 PM
There's not a chance that Hibs will be responsible for taking the decision to close off a public road.

What time did you try to get into St Clair Street?

I know they close it off around 15-20 minutes before kick off for big games and then reopen it again once the game starts.

We got there at 11:55ish.

Sir David Gray
21-04-2018, 05:37 PM
We got there at 11:55ish.

There's no way you would have got parked in St Clair Street that close to kick off.

It would have been full probably before 11:00.

hibby6270
21-04-2018, 05:42 PM
I always walk in via Albion Road before the game. The road is usually closed off at the Easter Road end 15-20 minutes before kick off. I assume it was closed off a bit earlier today due to the volume of crowd approaching the stadium that way.
Can’t comment on the St Clair Street situation before a game as I don’t arrive that way. However, St CS is always closed both ways after a game until crowd disperses.
Would imagine there will be a point before a game that St CS is closed as well. Probably once the available disabled spaces (full length of both sides of street) are full.
It’s a shame you were inconvenienced today, especially given the distance you had travelled. However, I’d like to think the stewards were only doing their job. They can come across as ‘very jobsworth’ in their attitude but sadly they will only be acting on instructions from police I would imagine.

speedy_gonzales
21-04-2018, 05:46 PM
A couple of drivers given the stewards agro after the match, trying to leave St Clair St but hindered by the barriers.
Personally I don't think it's a bad thing to hold cars back 5 minutes to allow a fair few thousand fans out safely.

Stonewall
21-04-2018, 06:00 PM
Today I drove to the game for the first time since moving to Carnoustie. I drive my disabled family members to the game, one who is limited mobility. We were going to park in the disabled parking on St Clair street but the road was closed. We then tried going up by Albion Road but again the road was closed. We tried asking if we could get in as we had two disabled fans but they just said no with no explanation. We ended up having to park quite a bit away from the stadium which left my sister in a bad way. Luckily the result picked her back up but I have to say our treatment by whoever closed the road was disgraceful. We were told by a police officer who we spoke to that this isn’t the first time this has happened and we should contact the club. I don’t want to go sending negative emails to the club if there is an explanation for this. But as we are disabled season ticket holders who are not from Edinburgh it could have been avoided if they could have emailed us to let us know as they have all the details of the people this will effect. Sorry for ranting but to see my family in this distress has put a real dampener on the day.

one for the fans' reps perhaps.

givescotlandfreedom
21-04-2018, 06:16 PM
A couple of drivers given the stewards agro after the match, trying to leave St Clair St but hindered by the barriers.
Personally I don't think it's a bad thing to hold cars back 5 minutes to allow a fair few thousand fans out safely.

After the game 100%. There were loads tooting their car horns a bit after full time to get let out.

SaulGoodman
21-04-2018, 06:17 PM
After the game 100%. There were loads tooting their car horns a bit after full time to get let out.

It's not like it's a new thing, the road has been closed after the game for as long as I can remember. People should know if they park up there for the game that they'll have to wait a while to get out.

Billychaotic182
21-04-2018, 06:25 PM
Closed after the game wasn’t an issue for me, it was before but if it was due to the time of arriving then I know to just leave much earlier next time. Thanks for the help. As I’ve said it’s the first time I’ve driven so wasn’t sure.

Hfc_Since1875
21-04-2018, 06:26 PM
It's not like it's a new thing, the road has been closed after the game for as long as I can remember. People should know if they park up there for the game that they'll have to wait a while to get out.

Firstly, It is a new thing, cars were always allowed to exit with the flow of exiting fans. No cars were allowed to travel into the flow of fans hence the barriers.
Secondly, i would say that 5 minutes is acceptable to people, 20-30 minutes was where the frustration incurred, once again, we put away fans getting away before our own fans!

marinello59
21-04-2018, 06:29 PM

It’s amazing how many drivers think driving through a large crowd to save a few minutes is acceptable. Patience is a virtue.

weecounty hibby
21-04-2018, 06:38 PM
I park in tescos car park each week and walk up st Claire street usually just in time for kick off. It is always closed to traffic before the games. Has been all season

hibbyfraelibby
21-04-2018, 07:21 PM
Temporary Traffic Restriction Orders can be applied for and managed by any organisation holding an event. Roads round ER can be closed by the club up to an hour before and after the game. Managed by the stewards on behalf of Hibs. It is an offence for any vehicle to move within the area even though not managed by the Police because the Council grant the clisure. Its being going on for years since the cooncil scrapped Traffic Wardens, who were classed as Police Auxilliary Units, and replaced them with Parking Attendants.

Read the lamposts around the stadium where they post the notices.

Sir David Gray
21-04-2018, 07:22 PM
Closed after the game wasn’t an issue for me, it was before but if it was due to the time of arriving then I know to just leave much earlier next time. Thanks for the help. As I’ve said it’s the first time I’ve driven so wasn’t sure.

If you're going to the Kilmarnock game, which is a 3pm kick off, I would advise you to be in St Clair Street before 1:30 if you want to park there.

hibbyfraelibby
21-04-2018, 07:24 PM
Firstly, It is a new thing, cars were always allowed to exit with the flow of exiting fans. No cars were allowed to travel into the flow of fans hence the barriers.
Secondly, i would say that 5 minutes is acceptable to people, 20-30 minutes was where the frustration incurred, once again, we put away fans getting away before our own fans!

Wrong. Ignorant drivers in the restricted zone have flaunted the regulations for years and caused incidents. I have seen them and I have seen stewards dragged along by a driver who would not stop.

lord bunberry
21-04-2018, 07:27 PM
If you're going to the Kilmarnock game, which is a 3pm kick off, I would advise you to be in St Clair Street before 1:30 if you want to park there.
:agree: Once it’s full they stop cars from going up to park. You need to there really early to get a space.

RyeSloan
21-04-2018, 07:33 PM
It’s amazing how many drivers think driving through a large crowd to save a few minutes is acceptable. Patience is a virtue.

It’s pure selfishness.

I get people want and need to get away but the price you pay for having parking so close to the ground is that you should need to wait until it’s safe for you to leave.

Hfc_Since1875
21-04-2018, 07:37 PM
Wrong. Ignorant drivers in the restricted zone have flaunted the regulations for years and caused incidents. I have seen them and I have seen stewards dragged along by a driver who would not stop.

I “for years” there were no barriers at all. Since then the barriers have been moved by the stewards to allow traffic going with the flow of fans to exit

I’ve never personally seen any Incidents when people are leaving early to beat the queues but I can imagine there have been incidents previously!

Once the crowds build up I agree that cars should be told to wait untill crowds disperse. Stopping cars who have left early, when there are only people walking down the pavements, is where a lot of frustration today came from. That added to the length of time after the crowds have dispersed was a farce!

I go back to my point, why do we let away fans away first when we are locked in most places!

Nakedmanoncrack
21-04-2018, 07:53 PM
Did you see the guy driving down the pavement? Someone recorded it on their phone, hope it goes to polis.
I've seen the road closed a few times, I guess it's because there is no more space for parking so might be to save traffic going up through supporters only to have to turn back and drive through the supporters again.

The well known Hibs supporter who drove down the pavement- I was there, it was daft to the point of ridiculous, but he wasn't driving at people, seen much worse on the road, yet someone's priority after a famous win was to film this, then to grass him up to the first polis men he encountered, last seen giving a statement on ER.

ancient hibee
21-04-2018, 07:57 PM
Pretty decent of him not to drive at anyone,should get a medal.

GreenCastle
21-04-2018, 08:00 PM
I’m glad they have finally put barriers up before and after the game.

Several times this season with fans entering and exiting there have nearly been accidents with cars.

If you park close to the stadium you should except to wait after the game.

Impatient drivers are the issue here.

RoYO!
21-04-2018, 08:11 PM
It's not all impatient drivers etc.

The road was due to close at 12:00. (According to a local resident at the barrier brandishing a letter from the council stating this.)

It shut at 11:53. Inconsequential you may say, but this meant that a family member who has recently had a hip replaced but was desperate to make the game had to walk from the barrier. This was even though I'd pre arranged that they park at a friends house near the ground.

Gladly all's well that ends well. Attitude given by steward to gent with letter at the gate didn't help tho.

tamig
21-04-2018, 08:11 PM
@Billychaotic182, you don’t say where you approached from. The only place that late you could have got up St Clair Street was from ER itself. Also - apologies if this sounds harsh - why did you think you’d be able to drive right up to the stadium just over half an hour before kick off?
I think a few other folk have already covered it off but you’ve probably sussed that a wee bit more forward planning could have prevented your predicament.

GreenCastle
21-04-2018, 08:15 PM
It's not all impatient drivers etc.

The road was due to close at 12:00. (According to a local resident at the barrier brandishing a letter from the council stating this.)

It shut at 11:53. Inconsequential you may say, but this meant that a family member who has recently had a hip replaced but was desperate to make the game had to walk from the barrier. This was even though I'd pre arranged that they park at a friends house near the ground.

Gladly all's well that ends well. Attitude given by steward to gent with letter at the gate didn't help tho.

Fair enough - the question is how much power do the stewards on barriers have ? Surely Police should be doing that / traffic control ?

SaulGoodman
21-04-2018, 08:17 PM
The well known Hibs supporter who drove down the pavement- I was there, it was daft to the point of ridiculous, but he wasn't driving at people, seen much worse on the road, yet someone's priority after a famous win was to film this, then to grass him up to the first polis men he encountered, last seen giving a statement on ER.

Quite right whoever filmed it should grass him up! ****ing idiot should have his license ripped up.

Just Alf
21-04-2018, 08:26 PM
Quite right whoever filmed it should grass him up! ****ing idiot should have his license ripped up.

Agree!

Rather than driving down the empty pavement he should've driven down the busy road filled wi pedestrians!

:wink:

PS... just to be clear, I didn't actually see it today, but similar HAS happened multiple times in the past.

Billychaotic182
21-04-2018, 08:36 PM
@Billychaotic182, you don’t say where you approached from. The only place that late you could have got up St Clair Street was from ER itself. Also - apologies if this sounds harsh - why did you think you’d be able to drive right up to the stadium just over half an hour before kick off?
I think a few other folk have already covered it off but you’ve probably sussed that a wee bit more forward planning could have prevented your predicament.

I left Carnoustie at 9am. Traffic wasn’t great and as I mentioned it was my first time driving. I expected that there was a chance we might not get a space I didn’t expect the whole road to be closed and a lack of any information from the Stewards who were manning the barriers. All this is a lesson for us. We approached from the bottom, past Tesco. I appreciate that with 35 mins till kick off that spaces would be tight but I also was unsure of how many spaces hibs also allow for blue badge holders and if there is alternative parking for these supporters.

cabbageandribs1875
21-04-2018, 08:44 PM
I left Carnoustie at 9am. Traffic wasn’t great and as I mentioned it was my first time driving. I expected that there was a chance we might not get a space I didn’t expect the whole road to be closed and a lack of any information from the Stewards who were manning the barriers. All this is a lesson for us. We approached from the bottom, past Tesco. I appreciate that with 35 mins till kick off that spaces would be tight but I also was unsure of how many spaces hibs also allow for blue badge holders and if there is alternative parking for these supporters.

there's actually a small part in one of the units car parks near the bottom of st.clair st opposite where the houses start, for blue badge holders, i've no idea who runs it and if it's just an overflow or for a small fee

keep that in mind for your next visit :) but i would recommend at least an hour before the game ko

Billychaotic182
21-04-2018, 08:49 PM
there's actually a small part in one of the units car parks near the bottom of st.clair st opposite where the houses start, for blue badge holders, i've no idea who runs it and if it's just an overflow or for a small fee

keep that in mind for your next visit :) but i would recommend at least an hour before the game ko

Thanks very much. I’ll definitely look into that! Cheers

snedzuk
22-04-2018, 09:15 AM
Thanks very much. I’ll definitely look into that! Cheers

The usual arrangement is that st clair street, albion road and hawkhill avenue are barriered 30 mins before kick off. For some reason this didnt happen at the recent hamilton evening game and thats why I say usual.

If the council accept the case for trams to go down leith walk then there will be a lengthy closure on the walk - whether hibernian are involved in any dialogue about that I dont know but it will impact on those that drive to games.

Sioux
22-04-2018, 09:28 AM
When there's something like 10,000 people using St Clair St after a game there should be no movement of vehicles, including those parked on that street, until the crowd have all but dispersed. That is common sense. I don't use St Clair St but is that what usually happens?

southern hibby
22-04-2018, 10:34 AM

As much as I respect your point of view maybe ( and I’m a pedestrian too) if pedestrians showed a bit of patience and walked on the pavement not on the roads and left cars on the road to drive then we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

GGTTH

southern hibby
22-04-2018, 10:37 AM
When there's something like 10,000 people using St Clair St after a game there should be no movement of vehicles, including those parked on that street, until the crowd have all but dispersed. That is common sense. I don't use St Clair St but is that what usually happens?

Common sense too for pedestrians to walk on the pavement. I may be in a monority here but just cause we’ve been to the footy doesn’t make the roads around the stadium any more ours than it does for cars to pass through.

GGTTH

southern hibby
22-04-2018, 10:46 AM

As much as I respect your point of view maybe ( and I’m a pedestrian too) if pedestrians showed a bit of patience and walked on the pavement not on the roads and left cars on the road to drive then we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

GGTTH

Sioux
22-04-2018, 10:51 AM
How can you get that many people exiting down St Clair St to walk only on the pavement. There's hardly enough space on the road?

we are hibs
22-04-2018, 11:00 AM

GGTTH
You're expecting thousands of fans to walk on a narrow pavement?

hibby6270
22-04-2018, 11:13 AM
The whole point is that for Cat A games, there are only 2 exit roads available for fans to exit - St Clair Street and Hawkhill Avenue. Albion Road is always blocked off by the police cordon barrier.

This inevitably leads to 10-15K punters having to use 2 out of the normal 3 routes to get away from the stadium. It’s bound to cause congestion and the only “safe” option is for fans to use the road to go down. The suggestion that “everyone should use the pavements” is just ludicrous and indeed would be imo more dangerous than the gauntlet we have to walk just now with the car drivers trying to weave their way through a throng of people.

By the time people get to the foot of St CS, people start to disperse in different directions to Easter Road and St Clair Avenue. It probably takes 15-20 minutes for St Clair Street to clear? Surely those in cars can wait that wee bit of extra time to have a clearer run away from their parking spot.

Maybe a controversial statement but having a Blue Badge doesn’t give you some kind of priority to drive on the road as you see fit. Your priority is that you’ve got the benefit of having a parking spot close to the stadium which is totally fair enough given your status. Just don’t think that it gives you the right to be ignorant and somehow empower you with special permission to drive through crowds because it suits you to get on your way.

There. I’ve said it. Probably what a lot of people think but are scared to say it so as not to cause offence.

southern hibby
22-04-2018, 11:14 AM
No I’m not what I’m on about is folk moaning about cars on roads when roads are for cars and pavements are for people. Maybe if padestrains showed as much restrain and walked on the pavement as they want drivers to show cause they canny be bothered waiting because there’s thousands and they’d be there for ages, but it’s al right for cars to wait.

Me thinks there’s lots of hypocrites about.

NAE NOOKIE
22-04-2018, 11:22 AM

I was in that queue of traffic at the bottom of St Clair street and folk had been held up for about 15 minutes by an incident of some sort at the junction of St Clair street and Easter Road which the police were trying to sort out and taking ages to do it. The horn tooting was actually pretty good humoured and by the smiles on the faces of the drivers around me everybody was treating it as having a bit of a laugh to relieve the boredom :greengrin

From getting to my car at the bottom of St Clair street to arriving at Sheriffhall roundabout took an hour and a half .... that's an hour and a half FFS .... The traffic in Edinburgh yesterday was as bad as I've ever seen it.

SaulGoodman
22-04-2018, 11:59 AM
No I’m not what I’m on about is folk moaning about cars on roads when roads are for cars and pavements are for people. Maybe if padestrains showed as much restrain and walked on the pavement as they want drivers to show cause they canny be bothered waiting because there’s thousands and they’d be there for ages, but it’s al right for cars to wait.

Wtf are you on about.

Sir David Gray
22-04-2018, 12:02 PM
The whole point is that for Cat A games, there are only 2 exit roads available for fans to exit - St Clair Street and Hawkhill Avenue. Albion Road is always blocked off by the police cordon barrier.

This inevitably leads to 10-15K punters having to use 2 out of the normal 3 routes to get away from the stadium. It’s bound to cause congestion and the only “safe” option is for fans to use the road to go down. The suggestion that “everyone should use the pavements” is just ludicrous and indeed would be imo more dangerous than the gauntlet we have to walk just now with the car drivers trying to weave their way through a throng of people.

By the time people get to the foot of St CS, people start to disperse in different directions to Easter Road and St Clair Avenue. It probably takes 15-20 minutes for St Clair Street to clear? Surely those in cars can wait that wee bit of extra time to have a clearer run away from their parking spot.

Maybe a controversial statement but having a Blue Badge doesn’t give you some kind of priority to drive on the road as you see fit. Your priority is that you’ve got the benefit of having a parking spot close to the stadium which is totally fair enough given your status. Just don’t think that it gives you the right to be ignorant and somehow empower you with special permission to drive through crowds because it suits you to get on your way.

There. I’ve said it. Probably what a lot of people think but are scared to say it so as not to cause offence.

Why would that be controversial?

I use a wheelchair and have a blue badge and don't see your statement as controversial in the slightest.

speedy_gonzales
22-04-2018, 12:22 PM
The thread is starting to get a bit ranty now but I think we're forgetting that roads are not for the exclusive use of cars.
Roads were around for thousands of years before motorised carriages.
But this isn't about semantics, this is about common sense and safety.
The police will often close roads when there are large gatherings, concerts, rallies etc. This is nothing new. The Lawnmarket gets closed every night the Tattoo is on, Corstorphine Road is closed and traffic diverted when the Rugby Internationals and gigs are on at Murrayfield.
You can't possibly expect 15000 individuals to file down the proscribed infrastructure in a short period of time, safely.

So, right over might, let the numbers of folk disperse before opening the roads back up to vehicles,,,,

southern hibby
22-04-2018, 01:01 PM
Wtf are you on about.

Not sure what part of my threads you don’t understand. There’s folk on here on about drivers being patient yet so pedestrians can walk on the road.

Sorry but I was lead to believe that cars drive on roads pedestrians walk on pavements is that so hard to understand or am I not allowed an opinion because it differs from someone else’s.

GGTTH

MartinfaePorty
22-04-2018, 01:15 PM
Is the main point not that the barriers were up anyway, so the driver would have had to wait, as the road was effectively closed? Even if the crowd had parted to let cars past they would have been held up. As it was he circumnavigated it by driving on the pavement and sneaking off down the road on the right.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

SaulGoodman
22-04-2018, 01:38 PM
Not sure what part of my threads you don’t understand. There’s folk on here on about drivers being patient yet so pedestrians can walk on the road.

Sorry but I was lead to believe that cars drive on roads pedestrians walk on pavements is that so hard to understand or am I not allowed an opinion because it differs from someone else’s.

GGTTH

Read the post I quoted again and see if it makes sense because every time I try and read it I feel like I'm having a stroke.

lord bunberry
22-04-2018, 01:38 PM

GGTTH
You’re either trolling or have never walked down St Clair after a game. There is absolutely no way everyone can fit on the pavement. What you are suggesting is preposterous and can’t possibly happen. Once you get to Easter road and people start heading off in different directions, walking on the road is the only option.

hibby6270
22-04-2018, 01:43 PM
Why would that be controversial?

I use a wheelchair and have a blue badge and don't see your statement as controversial in the slightest.

:thumbsup:

It’s maybe my perception nowadays that it is frowned upon to say anything against those who are disadvantaged in some way. e.g. - in this discussion about the rights or wrongs in treatment of disabled people versus able bodied people. There are many out there quick to say “oh you can’t say that” because it may offend, when the original meaning of a statement is made merely to get a point across. Political correctness not my strongest subject I’m afraid.

Bishop Hibee
22-04-2018, 01:58 PM

GGTTH

It’s not so much an opinion as a completely daft suggestion.The couple of hundred people at the most in cars should have priority over the thousands of pedestrians who disperse after about 10 minutes anyway? No chance. Car drivers should wait and the bam who drove along the pavement and dodged the barrier to save a few minutes should take a look at himself.

ancient hibee
22-04-2018, 02:14 PM
I’m very impressed that so many disabled people are in their cars and ready to go while the street is full of able bodied people trudging along.Hope they’re not leaving early:greengrin

southern hibby
22-04-2018, 03:17 PM
Read the post I quoted again and see if it makes sense because every time I try and read it I feel like I'm having a stroke.

Mate seriously mother was rushed into hospital last week with a stroke.

hibbyfraelibby
22-04-2018, 03:20 PM
Common sense too for pedestrians to walk on the pavement. I may be in a monority here but just cause we’ve been to the footy doesn’t make the roads around the stadium any more ours than it does for cars to pass through.

GGTTH
The reason they close the road is because the volume of pedestrians exceeds the pavement capacity. Selfish and drivers will just have to wait.

southern hibby
22-04-2018, 03:26 PM
Right here goes it’s not st Clair street that’s the problem it’s Easter Road and most roads along to Leith Walk folk walk on when there’s a perfectly good footpath.

If you walk on the road fine it doesn’t effect me as I’m a pedestrian too ( until I pick up the car further away ). But to expect cars to be put out cause there’s a game on is wrong.

Just because I’ve got a difference of opinion I’m trolling. I’m not I just feel as I’ve said cars on the road pedestrians on the pavement.

GGTTH

southern hibby
22-04-2018, 03:29 PM
It’s not so much an opinion as a completely daft suggestion.The couple of hundred people at the most in cars should have priority over the thousands of pedestrians who disperse after about 10 minutes anyway? No chance. Car drivers should wait and the bam who drove along the pavement and dodged the barrier to save a few minutes should take a look at himself.

Totally agree about the bam who drove on the pavement.

GGTTH

lord bunberry
22-04-2018, 03:31 PM
Right here goes it’s not st Clair street that’s the problem it’s Easter Road and most roads along to Leith Walk folk walk on when there’s a perfectly good footpath.

If you walk on the road fine it doesn’t effect me as I’m a pedestrian too ( until I pick up the car further away ). But to expect cars to be put out cause there’s a game on is wrong.

Just because I’ve got a difference of opinion I’m trolling. I’m not I just feel as I’ve said cars on the road pedestrians on the pavement.

GGTTH
But we’ve been discussing St Clair Street on this thread. You’ve only made it clear in your last post that you’re talking about other streets. FWIW I agree with you about the other streets, there’s mostly no need to be on the road.

southern hibby
22-04-2018, 03:44 PM
My bad should have added earlier I was on about around ER and not just St Clair Street.

GGTTH

Stick
22-04-2018, 03:56 PM
Tupence worth-
I park on St Clair street and agree that forcing pedestrians to only walk on the pavement would mean that it took ages for the crowds to clear, in fact you would have to form a queue at the top off the street to get onto the pavement.
My normal routine is to stay in my seat until most of the crowd have left the stand. Then make my way to my car and wait until the crowds disappear, this normally takes 10 to 20mins.
I am grateful that I am allowed to park close to the ground and I am happy to let pedestrians clear the area.
It is getting more difficult to find a parking space in this street and have to arrive an hour before kick off to get a space, so 15 mins or so at the end off the game shouldn't be a problem. It would be good if there was another street available for disabled, but that's another discussion.
It's a bit sad that we are all so rushed that we can't show consideration for each other, pedestrians and drivers.

hibee
22-04-2018, 06:54 PM
From getting to my car at the bottom of St Clair street to arriving at Sheriffhall roundabout took an hour and a half .... that's an hour and a half FFS .... The traffic in Edinburgh yesterday was as bad as I've ever seen it.

Took me 25 minutes to get to Old Craighall roundabout so would have been about 30 minutes to Sheriffhall, I park at Lochend side of the stadium though.

BSEJVT
22-04-2018, 08:11 PM

Utter rubbish.

Its absolutely impossible to walk on the pavements solely at ER after a game.

2 people going in opposite directions can barely pass on them at certain points.

Even if that was what people wanted to do they would be knocked out onto the road by accident or other inconsiderate or careless pedestrians.

That's without taking into consideration anyone having to try and cross the road.

There are some absolute lunatics barrelling their cars through pedestrians and especially both on the way down to and at the lights on Hawkhill Road and sadly its only a matter of time before someone is hurt (lets hope its no more than that and not seriously)

I wouldn't like to be the driver explaining that I knocked someone down because even though I could see it was unsafe because of so many pedestrians, I was in a hurry to get home and just drove on.

To take your argument further though, lets say it nowhere near ER and the roads wherever it is are deserted and its in the middle of summer and there is no football on. Someone old or young ( it doesn't matter which carelessly walks onto the road in front of you) because they are on the road and you have right of way are you going to mow them down?

Of course your not, if you don't recognise the dangers pedestrians face from cars and are not prepared to make allowances for and take actions to keep them safe ( even from themselves) then you have absolutely no business being behind the wheel of a car.

I drive a lot and have done for 40 years in all sorts of conditions and at all sorts of speeds, but there is not a cats chance in hell I would be driving my car, no matter how carefully, through a group of pedestrians regardless of who was right or wrong.

Some of the driving I have seen round ER after games is criminal, especially so since most of our games end in darkness.

I applaud the person who reported that lunatic to the police and would have no hesitation doing the same. They may very well save someone life by having done so.

southern hibby
22-04-2018, 10:18 PM
Utter rubbish.

Its absolutely impossible to walk on the pavements solely at ER after a game.

2 people going in opposite directions can barely pass on them at certain points.

Even if that was what people wanted to do they would be knocked out onto the road by accident or other inconsiderate or careless pedestrians.

That's without taking into consideration anyone having to try and cross the road.

There are some absolute lunatics barrelling their cars through pedestrians and especially both on the way down to and at the lights on Hawkhill Road and sadly its only a matter of time before someone is hurt (lets hope its no more than that and not seriously)

I wouldn't like to be the driver explaining that I knocked someone down because even though I could see it was unsafe because of so many pedestrians, I was in a hurry to get home and just drove on.

To take your argument further though, lets say it nowhere near ER and the roads wherever it is are deserted and its in the middle of summer and there is no football on. Someone old or young ( it doesn't matter which carelessly walks onto the road in front of you) because they are on the road and you have right of way are you going to mow them down?

Of course your not, if you don't recognise the dangers pedestrians face from cars and are not prepared to make allowances for and take actions to keep them safe ( even from themselves) then you have absolutely no business being behind the wheel of a car.

I drive a lot and have done for 40 years in all sorts of conditions and at all sorts of speeds, but there is not a cats chance in hell I would be driving my car, no matter how carefully, through a group of pedestrians regardless of who was right or wrong.

Some of the driving I have seen round ER after games is criminal, especially so since most of our games end in darkness.

I applaud the person who reported that lunatic to the police and would have no hesitation doing the same. They may very well save someone life by having done so.

I’m not arguing with you over this. I agree with a lot of what you say however I still don’t think pedestrians should be able walk on the road, when there is space on a pavement, I do appreciate that st Clair street is closed after games and I accept and understand why. I’m no way am I sticking up for the fool who drove on the pavement BUT at the same time I am not going to stick up for folk who walk on the road.

Mate I leave ER after every game and there’s folk crossing roads walking down the middle of them that don’t give a monkeys about the cars using Mobil phones not in the slightest bit interested in the cars driving about.

I already said in an earlier post that I was on about streets away from st Clair street. I’ve been driving for 32 years and now drive professionally for a living and you just have to look at grown adults taking their kids along roads with no sense of danger for their own kids after the game along ER too Leith Walk when there plenty of room to walk on the pavements.

I may definitely be in a minority here but I feel roads are for cars and pavements are for Pedestrians. Yes folk have to cross the road but surely they can do it in a safe manner.

At no time have I or will I try to defend car drivers acting dangerously or driving through a crowd of people or in any dangerous or threatening way.

GGTTH