PDA

View Full Version : Steven Whittaker

MacGruber
21-04-2018, 02:21 PM
Played very well today. Had his critics so deserves a mention. As they all do. Loving this group of players.

A Hi-Bee
21-04-2018, 02:23 PM
Played very well today. Had his critics so deserves a mention. As they all do. Loving this group of players.

Hear,hear Whitty still has a lot to add to this team.
:flag::flag::flag:

RoYO!
21-04-2018, 02:25 PM
Boyle worked so hard to avoid too many 1 on 1's with whitts, but yes, they were all excellent today!

Hiber-nation
21-04-2018, 02:26 PM
Whitty written off by the usual suspects on here....proved them wrong.

eastcoasthibby
21-04-2018, 02:29 PM
I had my concerns for him at RB today but to be fair he djd a solid job, still not convinced he has the legs to cope with a pacey player directly but his experience, game reading and ball useage is a massive bonus !!

hibee_girl
21-04-2018, 02:33 PM
He started off a bit wobbly but came onto a game. Coped well with what Celtic threw at him

Ozyhibby
21-04-2018, 02:43 PM
Whittaker done well and Boyle worked hard to make sure he was never exposed one on one. Celtic also didn’t manage to get the ball out to Sinclair very much during the second half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tomsk
21-04-2018, 03:24 PM
For someone who's barely kicked a ball in months the boy done good. :aok:

DavidDavidGray
21-04-2018, 03:27 PM
Did well at centre back but Jesus he almost cost us a few times in the first half. Just kept switching off. Played well second half though

CL0762
21-04-2018, 04:01 PM
Thought he was very very shaky to start with but grew into the game.

Bishop Hibee
21-04-2018, 04:02 PM
Agree he started shakily but came on to a game. I was concerned when Sinclair came on but he coped with him no bother.

BoomtownHibees
21-04-2018, 04:13 PM
Was he playing as a 3rd centre half in a back 3?? Seemed to be quite a fluid formation that changed around a lot

ancient hibee
21-04-2018, 04:13 PM
He and Swanson did well to keep going in such a fast game when they’ve played so little.

bod
21-04-2018, 04:14 PM

This :agree:

maturehibby
21-04-2018, 04:37 PM
Did a international class tackle in the second half coming from behind and taking the ball away cleanly and stopping a clear Celtic run in on goal
Also did a fantastic tackle on Brown too showing his strength in the tackle and again shutting down the danger
Best game since he came back after injury

IGRIGI
21-04-2018, 04:39 PM

My take on it also, Boyle did fantastic in tracking back too.

Smartie
21-04-2018, 06:57 PM
I was very concerned when they put Sinclair on him but he rose to the occasion and after a couple of early scares, barely gave him a sniff.

Whittaker did very well today, and like Lewis Stevenson has shown that he can put a shift in for us in about 5 different positions.

Pretty Boy
21-04-2018, 07:02 PM
I thought he struggled at the start of both halves. The free kick when he missed the ball because he was fixing his socks summed up his 1st 5 minutes. I feared the worst when Sinclair got by him a couple of times early doors in the 2nd half.

After those 2 5 minute spells he was very good though and showed he still has plenty to offer.

marinello59
21-04-2018, 07:02 PM
A great game from him today.

Smartie
21-04-2018, 07:06 PM
I thought he struggled at the start of both halves. The free kick when he missed the ball because he was fixing his socks summed up his 1st 5 minutes. I feared the worst when Sinclair got by him a couple of times early doors in the 2nd half.

After those 2 5 minute spells he was very good though and showed he still has plenty to offer.

I didn't think he did anything wrong at the socks incident.

It was a piece of nonsense from McGeouch playing it to him that far ahead of him.

CallumLaidlaw
21-04-2018, 07:07 PM
I thought he was poor in the first half. Much better in the 2nd tho.

FifeHibs
21-04-2018, 07:18 PM
The passing ability and range of passing is class.

marinello59
21-04-2018, 07:23 PM
I thought he was poor in the first half. Much better in the 2nd tho.

Apart from one mistake in the first half he was excellent. He looked like the Whitty of old today.

Gatecrasher
21-04-2018, 07:24 PM
Been superb since returning from injury

RyeSloan
21-04-2018, 07:38 PM
He gave the ball away a few times late on and on occasion looked like a player that wasn’t fully in tune with his back line but it would be harsh to criticise too much as he did a lot good while fully contributing to an outstanding result.

Best contribution was probably his goal saving tackle on Griffith’s first half, brilliant reading of the danger.

bigwheel
21-04-2018, 07:43 PM
He gave the ball away a few times late on and on occasion looked like a player that wasn’t fully in tune with his back line but it would be harsh to criticise too much as he did a lot good while fully contributing to an outstanding result.

Best contribution was probably his goal saving tackle on Griffith’s first half, brilliant reading of the danger.

hmmm...he was also one who put his foot on the ball and calmed the match down after they scored a goal...overall a very good shift he can be happy with...

Mibbes Aye
21-04-2018, 08:17 PM
Very good game against a team who are the best in the country by miles.

Can't really argue with that.

CLASS OF 72 -73
21-04-2018, 09:28 PM
He picked up in the second half but was shocking early on.

blackpoolhibs
21-04-2018, 09:36 PM
Shocking my arse, gave his all in every challenge, looked up and tried to pick a pass, and looked every bit of a player who has quality.

He's a good player who will contribute to us getting better, he will make the odd mistake because he will take a chance, but so does Efe or SJM or Dylan.

What do people want from player, even the best don't do everything right every week?

21-04-2018, 09:40 PM
As others have mentioned, he didn't start very well and had a few shaky moments but much better second half.

jodjam
21-04-2018, 09:44 PM
Whittaker done well and Boyle worked hard to make sure he was never exposed one on one. Celtic also didn’t manage to get the ball out to Sinclair very much during the second half.

Do you think your comment about Whittaket and disaster at the start of the match thread were justified?

O'Rourke3
21-04-2018, 09:47 PM

That was down to Dylan. He shouted and saw Whitty bend down then screamed at him for not hearing or seeing he was about to get a pass. Should never have passed the ball as Whitty was clearly unaware. May not have been obvious from the FF of course.
Thought he had a better than decent game. His two worst moments were missed cross field passes with his left foot which should finally put paid to the rumours can play left back.

JimBHibees
21-04-2018, 09:47 PM
Shocking my arse, gave his all in every challenge, looked up and tried to pick a pass, and looked every bit of a player who has quality.

He's a good player who will contribute to us getting better, he will make the odd mistake because he will take a chance, but so does Efe or SJM or Dylan.

What do people want from player, even the best don't do everything right every week?

Totally agree guy did brilliant in not his best position. He oozes quality on the ball.

Hibrandenburg
22-04-2018, 07:28 AM
I gave him stick the last time we played them at ER and he fully deserved it. Yesterday he was great and added something to the team, nobody was just a passenger yesterday it was a 100% team effort.

BlackSheep
22-04-2018, 07:51 AM
Great game for Whitty yesterday.... hope this go a little towards turning hi doubters into supporters.

He seems to still have a bit of match fitness to get him back to full speed, but his wealth of experience more than makes up for any lack of match fitness anyway!

The Leith Dutch
22-04-2018, 08:13 AM
My take on it also, Boyle did fantastic in tracking back too.

I thought Boyle was absolutely superb defensively yesterday.

One particular standout was him racing back in the first half to make a defensive intervention then the next thing I know McGinn overhits a crossfield ball to him right up on the wing in the Celtic half. Boy has some energy.

MacGruber
22-04-2018, 09:06 AM
Did a international class tackle in the second half coming from behind and taking the ball away cleanly and stopping a clear Celtic run in on goal
Also did a fantastic tackle on Brown too showing his strength in the tackle and again shutting down the danger
Best game since he came back after injury

Also goal saving tackle on Griffiths 6 yards out when they had a chance end of second half. Brilliant tackle.

MacGruber
22-04-2018, 09:08 AM
End of first half I mean