PDA

View Full Version : Where will Hibs be in 5 years time?

PatHead
20-04-2018, 12:46 PM
I was talking to someone the other day about where we see Hibs in 5 years? Looking at the general financial state of the opposition we both feel there is a massive opportunity to be the second club in Scotland over that period. Taking Aberdeen ‘s position. We have the infrastructure so there is nothing to hold us back. Personally I think another cup win and at least 3 second places with a group stage in the Europa league is not an unreasonable target. How does everyone else feel.?

1van Sprou7e
20-04-2018, 12:49 PM
Great thing to aim for but we're not going to reach the group stage any time soon unfortunately

Mikeystewart
20-04-2018, 12:52 PM
There are so many random variables to consider, sometimes no amount of future planning and stability can make up for bringing in a crop of decent youngsters that can skew the league table.

I think regular top 6 is a realistic expectation.

PatHead
20-04-2018, 12:55 PM
There are so many random variables to consider, sometimes no amount of future planning and stability can make up for bringing in a crop of decent youngsters that can skew the league table.

I think regular top 6 is a realistic expectation.

I think we should expect more than that and would be really disappointed if that is seen as success.

JeMeSouviens
20-04-2018, 12:58 PM
Sounds great but could easily go tits up. Lennon and Dempster could be tempted away any time. Getting the right replacements is not exactly a given.

Enjoy the moment!

Elephant Stone
20-04-2018, 12:59 PM
Newco are a mess just now but they'll still sell something like 45,000 season tickets. If they appoint a decent manager then I don't see much of an opportunity for us to be the second best team consistently. It's something to aim for but I think we should be realistically looking at 3rd/4th and making cup finals.

SirDavidsNapper
20-04-2018, 01:00 PM
Another cup or two is very realistic. The whole club is pulling in the same direction and geared towards success. We have winners in every department. I think we'll be challenging Rangers for second over the next few years with Aberdeen dropping off a bit.

Thecat23
20-04-2018, 01:01 PM
Fighting for top 4 same as just now.

GreenCastle
20-04-2018, 01:07 PM
Unlike previous cup wins we seemed to have really pushed on this time.

I’ve said it for a long time this club has potential if they get the right people leading it and managing it.

Scottish teams and Europa league don’t exactly go well. It would be fantastic to get there one day though but would need an improved team.

danhibees1875
20-04-2018, 01:11 PM
We probably had a better all-round team with the "golden generation" and after the cup win in 07 it was 9 years of steady decline...

We are however better prepared this time round - stadium complete, training facilities owned, record ST sales... Lennon could play a big part in it all actually. He's been around the block as a manager, with an unsuccessful stint in England and very successful with, the stress and spotlight of, Celtic. If he decides that Hibs is a good fit for him where he can enjoy managing and have a challenge then he should be looking at a 5 year plan (similar to what Collins came out with once, I think).
Along with a supportive and settled board room backing the manager financially, I think we can kick on and we should be aiming to qualify for Europe more often that not, with eventually reaching the group stages.

theonlywayisup
20-04-2018, 01:13 PM
Let's not forget that a few season ago we were playing to less than 9,000 fans. Call me negative but those days could easily return.

Let's enjoy ourselves whilst it last.

Though theonlywayisup.

JDHibs
20-04-2018, 01:19 PM
This is what im going to expect going forward -

- Top 4
- Atleast 1 semi final in a cup competition
- Atleast 1 young lad making a decent break through into first team squad.

Not too much to ask for. That should keep the fans coming out in their numbers. Not going to predict Euro targets as in general Scottish teams dont do well in qualifiers etc due it being pre season etc.

BSEJVT
20-04-2018, 01:25 PM
Straiton :devil:

worcesterhibby
20-04-2018, 01:25 PM
I will be very interested to see how we go about replacing John McGinn/Dylan (assuming they do leave before next season) I think will will tell us a lot about whether we can continue to improve and set high standards or if we are likely looking at a high point and future dropping off as we have seen in the past so often.

retaining Leeane and NL is very important too, for a couple of years at least, as is finding a deputy at left back for Lewis and ensuring we have enough fire power up front.

get it right and we should be top four finishers every year, with a very good chance of cup success. Hell we might even surprise a few people if we get a decent/lucky draw in Europe.

Mikeystewart
20-04-2018, 01:29 PM
I think we should expect more than that and would be really disappointed if that is seen as success.

I wouldn't consider it success either.

But with 2 teams with 10x our resources and 3 other teams of comparative size challenging for 3,4,5 i would consider regular top 6 as a realistic expectation.

It only takes one bad transfer window and a few injuries to get sucked into the bottom 6.

Edit: It's football a term like 'expectation' is often misappropriated. If expectation and reality had any correlation football wouldn't be worth watching.

Oscar T Grouch
20-04-2018, 01:32 PM
Leeann has already stated our goals for the coming years. To finish in the Euro places and to compete in Europe and get to the latter stages of the domestic cup competitions. I would like to think we can manage that. I would like to see another cup win or two in the next couple of years

Do not be fooled by the current state of the huns, they can turn that around with a semi competent person at the helm, they should now be clear in 2nd every year, they are because they have a crook at the helm and no direction football wise. They have 3 times as many ST buyers than us so to compete with them we need to keep the management team we have at the moment.

Smartie
20-04-2018, 01:37 PM
It's all been going in the right direction for a while, which is good.

Our biggest challenge will be when we hit the first bump on the road - do we brush it off or do we implode? We cannot afford to grow a sense of entitlement like Rangers or Hearts suffer from - Hearts were toddling along nicely under Robbie Neilson until they felt they deserved better and caused themselves a good few problems. We may lose Dempster or Lennon, we might even lose our entire midfield and front line this summer so there are plenty of challenges ahead that need to be overcome.

I don't actually think Celtic are anything like as great as many people do, and they have been able to get away with not being anywhere near their best far too often this season and many seasons pre-Rodgers. If we were to keep the whole squad we have right now, together with our manager and a tweak or two then I'd be wanting to see us push them next year. In reality, I think next year will probably be a transition season that we should be happy to finish in 4th place or so.

Who knows where we'll be in 5 years? We should just enjoy the right now though, because the football is good - and it hasn't often been as good as this.

Juniper Greens
20-04-2018, 01:38 PM
Let's not forget that a few season ago we were playing to less than 9,000 fans. Call me negative but those days could easily return.

Let's enjoy ourselves whilst it last.

Though theonlywayisup.

Whilst the fact in the fist line is true, I think comment perfectly sums up a problem we have had as a support and a club for too long now. We are always too quick to put ourselves down, i.e. when things are going well "just enjoy the moment" or when things are bad "we can't expect to be much better".

As fans, we have a responsibility to try and grow the club, reaching out to new supporters and this requires us to be optimistic and sell Hibs as an attractive club to support!

Mon the Cabbage!

IWasThere2016
20-04-2018, 01:41 PM
Straiton :devil:

:greengrin

Has Rodders not got a live 5-Year Plan? (Double :devil:)

Brightside
20-04-2018, 01:42 PM
Top 4 is all we can hope for....no money in Scottish football and that wont change. Forget about anything more than initial rounds in europe.

Speedy
20-04-2018, 01:48 PM
Expectation is top 6 every year and at least a couple of semi finals in the next 5 years. Not hitting that is akin to failure.

Success would be top 4 more often than not, regular semi finals, top odd 2nd/3rd place and a couple of cup finals.

Winning cups and regularly being top 3 is above and beyond. The reality with Scottish football is that you are doing very well to keep a top team for more than a couple of seasons because your best players/managers/execs will be cherry-picked.

Callyballybe
20-04-2018, 01:53 PM
I think we'll see the biggest challenge when there is a regime change, and I don't mean Lennon.

Once Dempster moves on to pastures new who we bring in then will have massive bearing on whether or not the club can 'sustain' the incumbent good times. I love Lennon, but even when he does decide to move on I've enough faith in our Chief Exec that a viable replacement will be found. She gets the club, she gets the fans and is very good in her role.

Whether we like to admit it or not, The Rangers are punching below their weight in the SPL. With 45,000 season tickets and everything that goes along with that, all it takes is one good manager and they'll most likely pull away in second.

Fighting for a top 4 finish regularly and pushing for regular semi final appearances (and better) is where we should be aiming. In terms of 5 years time? For me it really depends on whether Dempster is still here, and (most probably) if not, then the capabilities of the candidate that has replaced her.

Keith_M
20-04-2018, 01:53 PM
We have financial stability with very low debt, a completed Stadium, our own training centre and we currently have the 3rd highest average home attendance in Scotland (leaving aside the Yams' skewed Murrayfield visiting supports)

To me that means we should be capable of, with the occasional blip (**** happens), finishing in the top four most seasons, playing regularly in Europe (i.e. at least 1 season in 2), and hopefully a cup win now and again.

If we ever challenged for the title I'd be over the moon, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Ozyhibby
20-04-2018, 02:31 PM
Great thing to aim for but we're not going to reach the group stage any time soon unfortunately

Why not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B.H.F.C
20-04-2018, 02:44 PM
Europa League group stages isn’t as unrealistic as it sounds. There are clubs reaching that stage who are considerably smaller than a Hibs or an Aberdeen and the game isn’t overflowing with money outside the top, top leagues.

Do I expect it to happen? Not particularly. But it is definitely something to aim for.

We’ve competed well in cups and should continue to do so.

This summer is a big one though. We have a good team currently but there is the prospect of losing some good players who won’t be easy to replace.

Ozyhibby
20-04-2018, 02:52 PM
Europa League group stages isn’t as unrealistic as it sounds. There are clubs reaching that stage who are considerably smaller than a Hibs or an Aberdeen and the game isn’t overflowing with money outside the top, top leagues.

Do I expect it to happen? Not particularly. But it is definitely something to aim for.

We’ve competed well in cups and should continue to do so.

This summer is a big one though. We have a good team currently but there is the prospect of losing some good players who won’t be easy to replace.

Giant clubs from last seasons europa leagues include
Zorya
Gabala
Dundalk
Sassuola
Konyaspor
Liberec
FCSB

ancient hibee
20-04-2018, 03:27 PM
If McGinn can be given a deal to encourage him to sign a one year extension to his contract we’ll know the ambition of the club.

Halifaxhibby
20-04-2018, 03:29 PM
It's all been going in the right direction for a while, which is good.

Our biggest challenge will be when we hit the first bump on the road - do we brush it off or do we implode? We cannot afford to grow a sense of entitlement like Rangers or Hearts suffer from - Hearts were toddling along nicely under Robbie Neilson until they felt they deserved better and caused themselves a good few problems. We may lose Dempster or Lennon, we might even lose our entire midfield and front line this summer so there are plenty of challenges ahead that need to be overcome.

I don't actually think Celtic are anything like as great as many people do, and they have been able to get away with not being anywhere near their best far too often this season and many seasons pre-Rodgers. If we were to keep the whole squad we have right now, together with our manager and a tweak or two then I'd be wanting to see us push them next year. In reality, I think next year will probably be a transition season that we should be happy to finish in 4th place or so.

Who knows where we'll be in 5 years? We should just enjoy the right now though, because the football is good - and it hasn't often been as good as this.

Bang on mate. :aok:

Smartie
20-04-2018, 03:40 PM
Why not?

The biggest reason why not is the timing of the fixtures.

If we played the opening rounds when Scottish teams were anywhere near fit then our results would be miles better.

We're papped our every year before we're even ready to get started.

Other than that though, there is no good reason. I love European football and would love to see Hibs in the group stages of the Europa League. Putting in an improved performance in Europe should be the target of all Scottish clubs.

we are hibs
20-04-2018, 03:49 PM
We need to be targeting winning a trophy every 2/3/4 years rather than every 10+.Winnings
trophies = better players wanting to join the club and more money generated through crowds and merchandise. A system needs to be in place so we have replacements lined up should a Player or manager leave and the player and manager should buy into the values of the club and the way we want to play.

Dempster said when she came in she wanted to see more young kids wearing hibs tops around Edinburgh and young fans coming to back the team. I think the cup win has seen that improve and if we continue to sign good players and play fast attacking football then Easter road will
be a more tempting place for a
young person to be at the weekend rather than sitting about playing ps4s all day.

Bishop Hibee
20-04-2018, 03:51 PM
Depends if I win the Euro Millions or not tonight. In reality, established top 4 having won another trophy, I’m optimistic!

Greencore
20-04-2018, 03:53 PM
winning the champions league and premiership with a bunch of Lithuanians.

mjhibby
20-04-2018, 03:54 PM
Fighting for top 4 same as just now.

Top six minimum. Hopefully guys like porteous,Shaw, Lewis Allan and Stirling become regular fixtures in the team and prosper. There will be ups and downs with injuries and players going but the club is now set up to be regular challengers for a euro place.

Souter96Mac
20-04-2018, 03:59 PM
With Lewis stevenson as player-manager.

NAE NOOKIE
20-04-2018, 04:43 PM
Putting the league to one side, on average since 1875 Hibs have won a cup once every 23 years .... that is a statistic we should be aiming to improve and should be a realistic aim for a club of our stature in Scottish football.

As things stand at the moment with a favourable draw we can realistically expect to make the semi finals of either of the cup competitions, but as has been said the early start Scottish clubs have to make in Europe is a real disadvantage, don't tell me some of the ridiculous results clubs like us, the Yams and Sevco have suffered is because we aren't better, or at least as good, as some of the teams who have knocked us out ... it would be a big achievement to overcome that disadvantage and make the group stages, if we could do that it would be real progress.

We are on the right track at the moment .... but in football 5 years is a long time and anything can happen.

IGRIGI
20-04-2018, 04:48 PM
Regularly top 4 with the odd scrappy season making the top 6. Regular Hampden trips with the odd cup win thrown in.

Long term we should be aiming for Europa League group stages.

MWHIBBIES
20-04-2018, 04:51 PM
Probably fighting relegation. Its the way it goes.

Lago
20-04-2018, 04:55 PM
Top 4 is all we can hope for....no money in Scottish football and that wont change. Forget about anything more than initial rounds in europe.
Unfortunately I have to agree with you & that hurts as I come from the generation of Hibs fans who watch a successful Hibs team in Europe etc.

Sioux
20-04-2018, 04:56 PM
If McGinn can be given a deal to encourage him to sign a one year extension to his contract we’ll know the ambition of the club.

And if he doesn't does that mean the club have no ambition?

blackpoolhibs
20-04-2018, 04:57 PM
Unfortunately I have to agree with you & that hurts as I come from the generation of Hibs fans who watch a successful Hibs team in Europe etc.

It's not all down to money, how much money is in Slovenian football for instance, yet they reach the league stages of the Europa League regularly?

Keith_M
20-04-2018, 05:19 PM
It's not all down to money, how much money is in Slovenian football for instance, yet they reach the league stages of the Europa League regularly?

Agree with that.

Sadly they seem to produce a better standard of players than we do.

Onion
20-04-2018, 05:27 PM
Seen too many cycles of boom/bust (mainly bust) to try predict anything. The thing that usually leads to the next bust is losing key players or a good manager - usually to the OF for next to nothing. There is however an intriguing unknown factor at play this time - a desperately poor Sevco which appears to be continually on the brink of going bust again. Add to that, Celtic are now fishing in international waters and all of a sudden there is a genuine chance of us building a keeping some of our better players who would otherwise have gone along the M8.

The other thing that makes it incredibly hard for non-OF clubs to maintain a 3rd force position is lack of motivation. It's neither sexy or rewarding to always be striving to be 3rd at anything. Players, managers and fans soon get fed up with that. Just look at Aberdeen who have been the 2nd force for the last few years, but are now struggling a bit, have won little and have hardly seen crowds soar !

Taking all that into account, it feels like the best we can hope for is competing for cups and Europe.

Pagan Hibernia
20-04-2018, 05:51 PM
In five years time I’d like us to have added at least one more cup to the cabinet, league cup is absolutely fine, and I think that’s realistic. I also think it’s realistic to be challenging for top 4 consistently, we may fall short now and again but at the very least we’ll be a top six side. I don’t agree with those who think the next bust is round the corner, god knows given our history I can see why they would be fearful of that but I just think the foundations of the club are so solid now that we’ll overcome the loss of important players and still be a force. A lot will come down to whether the support continues to show up in such huge numbers at Easter road.

Honestly cant see us making European group stages but I’d love to be proved wrong on that and if it even happened just once it could help transform us financially.

I would also hope HSL have acquired 20% of the club by then and will still be raising plenty of cash for the first team, and of course I’d like to see some more home grown talent emerging from the youth teams. Given the performances of the U-20s this season I have no reason to doubt that will happen.

jonty
20-04-2018, 06:13 PM
Success is winning the league - that's why we take part. The media might expect the other teams in the league to play second fiddle to celtic and rangers
IMO top 6 and at least 1 trip to hampden is an expectation.
If we're to up our game we need to expect finals and top 2. If we can keep LD and NL then that should be our target.

ancient hibee
20-04-2018, 06:56 PM
And if he doesn't does that mean the club have no ambition?
Possibly.It depends on whether they try or not.

BoomtownHibees
20-04-2018, 06:59 PM
Probably fighting relegation. Its the way it goes.

That’s the spirit 👍🏼

Sir David Gray
20-04-2018, 07:29 PM
I would be pleasantly surprised if we're in the Europa League group stage within the next 5 years.

Diclonius
20-04-2018, 07:34 PM
Finishing 3rd/4th, reaching cup finals every few years and beating Hearts more often than not will do me just fine.

Eyrie
20-04-2018, 08:13 PM
Being realistic, I'd say a successful next five years for us would be

Cups - two finals with one trophy

League - a couple of thirds, a couple of fourths and a top six

Europe - qualify three or four times and make it through a couple of rounds at least once.

Fantasy time would be two cup wins, a couple of seconds in the league and making the group stage in Europe once.

Unseen work
20-04-2018, 08:16 PM
Although it’s great to aim high we are looking weak for next season imo as it stands

Following players loans will end or contract expire

Allan
Barker
Kamberi
Maclaren
Mcgeouch

Add that it’s very likely Mcginn will be away.

That’s half of our starting 11

chippy
21-04-2018, 09:52 AM
Playing in revamped Europa League sections with 5 -7 home games. Top 4 in each section qualify for knock out stages. Hibs lying 7th in 12 or 14 club section. The sectional games generate TV revenue of £1.5million, home gates, £2-3 million and £50k per point. If Hibs qualify for 64 club knock out tourney will earn £750k per home game and £150 away game. The club are sitting in 3rd place in the 16 club Scottish Premier League only 3 points behind the leaders Aberdeen. Hibs planning on increasing stadium capacity to 30k as every home game sold out with 17.5k season ticket holders and 5 k waiting list