PDA

View Full Version : Hibs v Celtic team news

Billy Whizz
19-04-2018, 05:22 PM
Bad enough that we’re without Allan, and Bartley, but would be a major blow to lose Daz as well
Add to that Oli’s injury, squad looking a bit threadbare again

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43827188

007 Mickey Weir
19-04-2018, 05:31 PM
Porteous and Swanson good replacements .

calumhibee1
19-04-2018, 07:00 PM
If Daz is out I'd go

Rocky

Whittaker
Ambrose
Hanlon
Stevenson

McGinn
McGeough

Boyle
Maclaren
Swanson (or preferably Barker if he happens to be fit enough)

Flo

BigT-Hibeez
19-04-2018, 07:11 PM
Bad enough that we’re without Allan, and Bartley, but would be a major blow to lose Daz as well
Add to that Oli’s injury, squad looking a bit threadbare again

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43827188

What's happened to McGregor?

danhibees1875
19-04-2018, 07:12 PM
What formation have we tended to use against Celtic previously?

They have good pace which could lend itself to the 3-5-2, but Boyle can cause damage running at them (boyata preferably).

Perhaps:

Rocky
Ambrose Hanlon Porteous
Whittaker Mcginn Mcgeouch Stevenson
Boyle Flo McLaren

Or Boyle as RWB, with Whittaker in the middle in our standard 3-5-2 formation.

Big_Franck
19-04-2018, 07:13 PM
What's happened to McGregor?

Hamstring injury Lennon said. He also said Barker, Slivka and Gray would be in the squad but from what he said it doesnt sound like any of them will start.

Heisenberg
19-04-2018, 07:17 PM
I wouldn’t play Whittaker at right back/wing back. Sinclair tore him to pieces at ER.

Billy Whizz
19-04-2018, 07:19 PM
I wouldn’t play Whittaker at right back/wing back. Sinclair tore him to pieces at ER.

Sinclair can’t get in the team just now
He did him one at ER in December, but Whittaker was carrying a bad injury, and shouldn’t have played that day

bingo70
19-04-2018, 07:23 PM
He did him one at ER in December, but Whittaker was carrying a bad injury, and shouldn’t have played that day

I also think the pitch that day didn’t help.

It had been quite frosty/icy and I think Whittaker looked to be struggling to get turned, in fact all the full backs did, I think it looked like they didn’t seem sure of their footing.

truehibernian
19-04-2018, 07:23 PM

How far up the pitch did Slivka play this week Billy - as in did he play tip of a midfield diamond ? I wonder if he’ll be pitched in to negate Scott Brown’s influence.

Nevi_SOL
19-04-2018, 07:24 PM
Bring Fraser Murray in 👌🏼

Billy Whizz
19-04-2018, 07:28 PM
How far up the pitch did Slivka play this week Billy - as in did he play tip of a midfield diamond ? I wonder if he’ll be pitched in to negate Scott Brown’s influence.

Good question TH. 1st half played midfield in a 352
2nd half Hibs played him as a 2nd striker just behind Lewis Allan. I personally think this is his best position, but he’s rarely played there. Possibly the furthest forward he’s played, was the Betfred Cup semi v Celtic

we are hibs
19-04-2018, 07:29 PM
I think mcgregor has a hamstring strain

hibbyfraelibby
19-04-2018, 07:36 PM
Ryan Porteous will slot in to Daz role. Whittaker will sit in front of them.

Sir David Gray
19-04-2018, 07:46 PM
If McGregor and Shaw don't make it I would go with;

Marciano

Stevenson
Hanlon
Porteous
Ambrose

McGeouch
McGinn
Swanson
Boyle

Kamberi
Maclaren

SUBS

Bell
Gray
Rherras
Whittaker
Slivka
Murray
Barker

IGRIGI
19-04-2018, 08:01 PM
Marciano

Ambrose
Porteous
Hanlon

Boyle
McGinn
McGeoch
Stevenson

Swanson

Kamberi
Maclaren

3-4-1-2

Billy Whizz
19-04-2018, 08:03 PM
Marciano

Ambrose
Porteous
Hanlon

Boyle
McGinn
McGeoch
Stevenson

Swanson

Kamberi
Maclaren

3-4-1-2

I’d be staggered if it was this. No Whittaker

bingo70
19-04-2018, 08:04 PM
I think Slivka will start.

He played for the under 20s last week, imo that’ll been with a view to him starting against Celtic.

truehibernian
19-04-2018, 08:04 PM
Good question TH. 1st half played midfield in a 352
2nd half Hibs played him as a 2nd striker just behind Lewis Allan. I personally think this is his best position, but he’s rarely played there. Possibly the furthest forward he’s played, was the Betfred Cup semi v Celtic

Thanks Billy, your updates on the day suggested he was certainly involved in our attacking play and both goals, I just wonder if he’ll play Kamberi up top with Slivka just behind occupying the area Brown goes to collect.

The errors that Boyata makes in particular centrally though, I’d be tempted to play / stick with both Kamberi and Jamie Mac from the start, press high up the pitch and try and get the first goal early. Not a huge fan of trying to hit Celtic on the counter and concede lots of possession to them.

Also wondered if young Lewis Allan might step up to the bench given his form and important goals in the 20’s (as recognition)

Brooster
19-04-2018, 08:06 PM
Marciano

Ambrose
Porteous (if Daz fails)
Hanlon
Stevenson

Whittaker
Slivka
McGinn
McGeoch

Boyle
Kamberi.

IGRIGI
19-04-2018, 08:07 PM
I’d be staggered if it was this. No Whittaker

Got his arse handed to him the last time, I'd rather go with Swanson and take the game to them.

MacGruber
19-04-2018, 08:08 PM
I think Slivka will start.

He played for the under 20s last week, imo that’ll been with a view to him starting against Celtic.

I think so too, Slivka and McGregor will start.

Green Badger
19-04-2018, 08:08 PM
Marciano

Ambrose
Porteous
Hanlon

Boyle
McGinn
McGeoch
Stevenson

Swanson

Kamberi
Maclaren

3-4-1-2

I think if you swap Swanson for Whittaker sitting a bit deeper, looks like a good side.

Brooster
19-04-2018, 08:11 PM
Got his arse handed to him the last time, I'd rather go with Swanson and take the game to them.

As said before Whittaker wasnt fully fit the last time aganst celtic. He is much more solid now. I dont think Swanson will feature much from now on and will be away in the summer....
Ive no info to back that up btw.

scoopyboy
19-04-2018, 08:11 PM
I think so too, Slivka and McGregor will start.

McGregor will start if fit.

Billy Whizz
19-04-2018, 08:13 PM

Last game at County, in the short time he was on, Whittaker was our best player. Were you at the game?

Billy Whizz
19-04-2018, 08:14 PM
McGregor will start if fit.

I hope he is fit, and it’s just mind games from Neil

Jones28
19-04-2018, 08:16 PM
It would be mad not to stick to the formation we've been playing.

B.H.F.C
19-04-2018, 08:29 PM
Have a feeling Boyle may play up front with Whittaker at right wing back, providing we stick with a back 3. McLaren hasn’t been up to much in the last couple of games and that was the change he made relatively early in our last game.

If McGregor isn’t fit I think we may go to a back 4 with Whittaker at right back. Don’t think he’ll play Porteous.

danhibees1875
19-04-2018, 08:30 PM
I hope he is fit, and it’s just mind games from Neil

Daz would be a weird choice for any mind games (something I'm not aware of us ever doing) - I'd have pretended Boyle was injured if I was playing games.

Souter96Mac
19-04-2018, 08:38 PM
For me
Rocky

Efe
Porteous(Daz if fit)
Hanlon

Boyle
McGeouch
Slivka
McGinn
Stevenson

Kamberi
Maclaren

Then have the likes of Swanson and Barker to come on in the 2nd half to wrap up the game 5-0.

Billy Whizz
19-04-2018, 08:38 PM
Have a feeling Boyle may play up front with Whittaker at right wing back, providing we stick with a back 3. McLaren hasn’t been up to much in the last couple of games and that was the change he made relatively early in our last game.

If McGregor isn’t fit I think we may go to a back 4 with Whittaker at right back. Don’t think he’ll play Porteous.

Last game we were playing against a team who played with no forwards. Lennon just tried to change things in the County game, see what would happen.
Kamberi and McLaren are exactly what we need against Celtic in my opinion. Celtic defence is full of mistakes, and these 2 will put them under pressure

Hibee87
19-04-2018, 08:40 PM
If slivka does start i hope he is in the middle attacking further forward.. 3 5 2 will surely be the formation even if Daz was fit

we are hibs
19-04-2018, 08:45 PM
We need to go 2 up and press their defence when they have the ball. Gordon,Lustig and in particular Boyatta all panick when the ball is at their feet and there's a bit pressure on them

bingo70
19-04-2018, 08:53 PM
If slivka does start i hope he is in the middle attacking further forward.. 3 5 2 will surely be the formation even if Daz was fit

Did John Mcginn not play in the attacking midfield position in the last game against them at Easter Road? Seem to remember him trying to sit on top of Brown that game.

Tug Wilson
19-04-2018, 09:11 PM
Keeper
Rocky

Back 3
Hanlon
McGregor/Porteous
Ambrose

Wing backs
Boyle
Stevenson

Midfield
McGinn
McGeoch
Plus 1 of Slika, Whittaker or Swanson depending on how Lennon wants to set up.

Up front
Kamberi
McLaren

System works don't need to mess too much with it.

ancient hibee
19-04-2018, 10:13 PM
If we don’t play the usual two upfront we won’t win.Picking a different team sends out the wrong signals.

B.H.F.C
19-04-2018, 10:41 PM
Last game we were playing against a team who played with no forwards. Lennon just tried to change things in the County game, see what would happen.
Kamberi and McLaren are exactly what we need against Celtic in my opinion. Celtic defence is full of mistakes, and these 2 will put them under pressure

I thought he just got the hook because he wasn’t up to much but that’s maybe just how I saw it. The trying something different in the County game was a bit later when we took a centre half off, changed the shape etc.

I’m personally not a fan of Boyle up front as I don’t think he’s a good enough finisher and would rather he was out wide. He’s been used up top against Celtic a couple of times though, both the games at Parkhead, and it wouldn’t surprise me if it happened again as I don’t think McLaren has been great in our last two games.

Brightside
20-04-2018, 01:20 PM
Lennon will play Whitts if he is fit. I wouldn't as i really do think his legs have gone at this level.....

J-C
20-04-2018, 02:19 PM
Rocky

Ambrose
McGregor(Porteous)
Hanlon

Boyle
Slivka
McGeouch
McGinn
Stevenson

Mclaren
Kamberi

guthrie01
20-04-2018, 04:25 PM
Lennon will play Whitts if he is fit. I wouldn't as i really do think his legs have gone at this level.....

Good thing we don’t have him on a 3 year deal then...right ?

davhibby
20-04-2018, 04:59 PM
Whittaker shouldn't be near the team. He's cover for fullback/wingback against the lesser teams at best. Sadly I think he'll play in the Bartley role. Hopefully keeps the 3 at the back and plays Slivka in the midfield though. Porteous has shown that he is more than good enough to step in for Daz so no worries there

BSEJVT
20-04-2018, 05:47 PM
Wait

Hold the band wagon till I jump on?

Folk queuing up to criticise Steven because they don't have anyone else to pick on this year?

It must gut some of you folk how well we have been doing this year and that you have had to bide your time to find someone a few of you could agree to criticise.

If our manager who sees Steven in training every day thinks he is good enough and fit it enough to play I think I will go with his view over some folk on here desperate to criticise the guy.

This would be the same player that still appeared in national squads earlier in the season.

Its the Hibs way to have scapegoats and Steven seems to be this years (un)lucky winner.

He was never the greatest defensive full back in the world, but then like now his other attributes made him worthy of a place in the squad.

I would be astonished if he was signed as our first choice right back but SDG's horrendous injury record this year forced him into being played there, it didn't work out and we have moved on.

bingo70
20-04-2018, 05:49 PM
Wait

Folk queuing up to criticise Steven because they don't have anyone else to pick on this year?

It must gut some of you folk how well we have been doing this year and that you have had to bide your time to find someone a few of you could agree to criticise.

If our manager who sees Steven in training every day thinks he is good enough and fit it enough to play I think I will go with his view over some folk on here desperate to criticise the guy.

This would be the same player that still appeared in national squads earlier in the season.

Its the Hibs way to have scapegoats and Steven seems to be this years (un)lucky winner.

He was never the greatest defensive full back in the world, but then like now his other attributes made him worthy of a place in the squad.

I would be astonished if he was signed as our first choice right back but SDG's horrendous injury record this year forced him into being played there, it didn't work out and we have moved on.

I agree, the only game I’ve really seen him struggle this season was at home to Celtic when he was carrying an injury.

His few performances in midfield this season have been good too.

Absolutely nothing to suggest his legs have gone at this level, it’s just a cliche that’ll be trotted out until it becomes fact.

we are hibs
20-04-2018, 05:54 PM
Good thing we don’t have him on a 3 year deal then...right ?

Wait

So don't say anything bad about any hibs player ever and don't have an opinion that you think a signing or player is poor otherwise your jumping on a bandwagon. I think he's been very underwhelming and should never have been offered a 3 year deal and a couple sub appearances against 2 of the poorest sides in the league isn't going to change my mind.

B.H.F.C
20-04-2018, 06:02 PM
So don't say anything bad about any hibs player ever and don't have an opinion that you think a signing or player is poor otherwise your jumping on a bandwagon. I think he's been very underwhelming and should never have been offered a 3 year deal and a couple sub appearances against 2 of the poorest sides in the league isn't going to change my mind.

Some of the criticism is over the top though. Whittaker has played a part in many good team performances including winning at Ibrox, a derby win, and plenty others.

When he looked as if his legs had gone before Christmas it was pretty clear he was struggling with injury and he’s been a million times better since he came back to fitness.

we are hibs
20-04-2018, 06:07 PM
Some of the criticism is over the top though. Whittaker has played a part in many good team performances including winning at Ibrox, a derby win, and plenty others.

When he looked as if his legs had gone before Christmas it was pretty clear he was struggling with injury and he’s been a million times better since he came back to fitness.

Id imagine he's on a decent wage and one of the high earners in the squad and has a 3 year contract. I don't think it's being overly critical to say he's been a poor signing so far and people expected more from him.

B.H.F.C
20-04-2018, 06:13 PM
Id imagine he's on a decent wage and one of the high earners in the squad and has a 3 year contract. I don't think it's being overly critical to say he's been a poor signing so far and people expected more from him.

What did you expect to see from him?

As I say, he’s more than played a part in some very decent performances. And now that he’s not hampered by injury I’d say there is a pretty clear improvement in his performances.

davhibby
20-04-2018, 06:16 PM
He's too slow on the ball to play in midfield against Celtic. I don't think he's been bad overall given his injuries this season though, he's had some good games(Celtic in the league cup off the bench springs to mind) and some bad games too. I just wouldn't play him in midfield or drop Boyle from wingback when he's done that job very well since January

20-04-2018, 06:21 PM

In a completely different position he has been good. At right back he was absolutely honking.

we are hibs
20-04-2018, 06:25 PM
What did you expect to see from him?

As I say, he’s more than played a part in some very decent performances. And now that he’s not hampered by injury I’d say there is a pretty clear improvement in his performances.

I expected more going forward, we know he struggled to defend first time round so I wasn't shocked e still can't. And I've no idea how you can say he's clearly improved when he's made a few sub appearances against struggling sides. He's had more poor/ average games than good IMO

B.H.F.C
20-04-2018, 06:29 PM
In a completely different position he has been good. At right back he was absolutely honking.

So we are saying that the only times Whittaker has been anything other than honking was 20 minutes against Partick and 80 minutes against Hamilton? Na, not having that.

I don’t think he’s been brilliant by any stretch of the imagination, I just think some of the criticism is over the top. He’s been nowhere near as bad as some people are making out and has been our right back in some very good performances and results. Remember him really struggling at home to Celtic and up at Aberdeen just before Christmas but he’s had plenty decent games other than that.

B.H.F.C
20-04-2018, 06:32 PM
I expected more going forward, we know he struggled to defend first time round so I wasn't shocked e still can't. And I've no idea how you can say he's clearly improved when he's made a few sub appearances against struggling sides. He's had more poor/ average games than good IMO

Since he’s come back from injury he’s performed better than he did before his injury, therefore I think he’s improved. Came on and made a difference against Partick. Played well against Hamilton. Came on and did well against Ross County. But let’s just disregard the times he did well because of who they were against.

we are hibs
20-04-2018, 06:36 PM
Since he’s come back from injury he’s performed better than he did before his injury, therefore I think he’s improved. Came on and made a difference against Partick. Played well against Hamilton. Came on and did well against Ross County. But let’s just disregard the times he did well because of who they were against.

Its 3 sub appearances against the 3 worst sides in the league. We will see how he does tomorrow If he plays and I honestly hope he proves me wrong but I think he will be chasing shadows If he starts

Billy Whizz
20-04-2018, 06:42 PM
Its 3 sub appearances against the 3 worst sides in the league. We will see how he does tomorrow If he plays and I honestly hope he proves me wrong but I think he will be chasing shadows If he starts

Ok then😬

B.H.F.C
20-04-2018, 06:43 PM

Played 80 minutes against Hamilton.

I don’t know why I’m arguing the case here because I don’t particularly think he should play tomorrow. But I don’t think people are balanced in their views of him for some reason. If you want to look at performances against better sides he started at Ibrox and we won. He started at Parkhead when we got a point. He started one derby which we won. So as I said he’s more than played a part along the way.

Hibeewilly
20-04-2018, 06:49 PM
Steven Whittaker is now free of injury which has bogged him down since he arrived. He has been outstanding recently since his comeback. He will play the holding role tomorrow and Barts will play second fiddle to Whittaker next season if indeed he is still there. Whittaker will be like a new signing in that role from now on. Only my opinion though....others will have different views. GGTTH

Smartie
20-04-2018, 06:57 PM
Whittaker is s good player, not a perfect one and you need to choose when and where to play him.

Whilst he could play RB against Celtic, pitching him up against Sinclair would be hanging him out to dry (again).

He's a decent fullback but having never been the best defender he shouldn't be chucked in against the paciest and best players in the country who like to cut in onto his weak side.

He's a solid reserve fullback who would do a job against 75% of teams, but he looks to be becoming a very good central midfielder who is tailoring his game to adjust for his declining pace.

If he plays tomorrow, he should play there.

Gmack7
20-04-2018, 07:00 PM
if we're looking to play an attacking formation Swanson or slivka will come in for Allan. A more cautious/defensive line up and I'd be expecting Whittaker to play in a midfield 3.hes more than capable

Billy Whizz
20-04-2018, 07:02 PM
if we're looking to play an attacking formation Swanson or slivka will come in for Allan. A more cautious/defensive line up and I'd be expecting Whittaker to play in a midfield 3.hes more than capable

All 3 league games, and Betfred Cup semi against Celtic, we’ve started with one up top

bingo70
20-04-2018, 07:04 PM
All 3 league games, and Betfred Cup semi against Celtic, we’ve started with one up top

Not beat them yet though so maybe time to try something different.

Gmack7
20-04-2018, 07:05 PM

we're on a good run with 2 up tpp i think we'll do the same tomorrow. time will tell i suppose

B.H.F.C
20-04-2018, 07:06 PM

Pretty sure we played with a diamond at Parkhead with Boyle right up top.

Billy Whizz
20-04-2018, 07:25 PM
Pretty sure we played with a diamond at Parkhead with Boyle right up top.

1st game Stokes up top

https://spfl.co.uk/premiership/fixture/3639283/

Recent league game Oli Shaw up top
https://spfl.co.uk/premiership/fixture/3639379/

Stuart93
20-04-2018, 07:40 PM
If it is to be one up top I think kamberi will do a better job than previous mentioned

davhibby
20-04-2018, 07:43 PM
1st game Stokes up top

Boyle definitely played as a striker at Parkhead the first time round

BoomtownHibees
20-04-2018, 07:47 PM
1st game Stokes up top

Boyle was up top in the 2-2 game

B.H.F.C
20-04-2018, 07:48 PM
1st game Stokes up top

They were up top in those games. In both cases with Boyle I think. In the last game Barker played at the top of the diamond.

Billy Whizz
20-04-2018, 07:51 PM
If boyle played up front in the 1st game, Stokes played behind him, certainly didn’t play 2 up top. Last game poor Oli was isolated, and taken off as no one got near supporting him

The point being, it will be a change if we play Kamberi and McLaren tomorrow, not that I’m against it!

BoomtownHibees
20-04-2018, 07:54 PM
If boyle played up front in the 1st game, Stokes played behind him, certainly didn’t play 2 up top. Last game poor Oli was isolated, and taken off as no one got neat supporting him

The point being, it will be a change if we play Kamberi and McLaren tomorrow, not that I’m against it!

I remember the first game as 2 up front.

Oil never got taken off until 69 mins in the 1-0 game. Boyle was hooked after 55 mins for Simon Murray

Billy Whizz
20-04-2018, 08:08 PM
I remember the first game as 2 up front.

Oil never got taken off until 69 mins in the 1-0 game. Boyle was hooked after 55 mins for Simon Murray

Anyway my definition of 2 up top, is 2 strikers playing up top like Kamberi and McLaren do
Stokes played so deep in the 1st game

2nd game Simon Murray came on and played wide right, completely wasted playing that role

BSEJVT
20-04-2018, 08:18 PM

I will trust the manager and player identification team's judgement over yours.

You are of course entitled to your opinion, I just don't happen to agree with it.

If you don't think that folk jump on bandwagons and criticise players because others do and it gives them something to say, then you have clearly never read the various Stevenson & Hanlon ( to name but 2) threads over the last decade.

DTS
20-04-2018, 08:53 PM
We are 100% a better team playing 3-5-2 no matter who is injured. Get Whittaker in holding he’s been very good recently in that role in the place of allan. Yes we’re playing well and are in with a good chance of a result celtic are miles to good to play against without 3 solid midfielders and Swanson isn’t that. Porteous in for Daz if he isn’t fit, porteous is more than good enough to slot into the 3 and we shouldn’t be changing the system that works well for us. Other than that the team picks itself with Swanson and barker on the bench

BegbieHSC
20-04-2018, 09:54 PM
In Lenny we trust!

Same team as last time, but with Whitty, Swanson or Slivka in Allan’s place.

I can’t actually remember the last time supporting Hibs I trusted the manager 100% to get the team right. We’ll get the result. Ram yer title party!

JimBHibees
21-04-2018, 08:16 AM
We are 100% a better team playing 3-5-2 no matter who is injured. Get Whittaker in holding he’s been very good recently in that role in the place of allan. Yes we’re playing well and are in with a good chance of a result celtic are miles to good to play against without 3 solid midfielders and Swanson isn’t that. Porteous in for Daz if he isn’t fit, porteous is more than good enough to slot into the 3 and we shouldn’t be changing the system that works well for us. Other than that the team picks itself with Swanson and barker on the bench

Agree with that good post.