PDA

View Full Version : Social Media Effect

ToffeeCabbage
16-04-2018, 01:42 PM
Following Motherwells win the other day which got them into their 2nd cup final of the season, it got me thinking about what impact a well run social media output can have on players morale and if this plays any factor in results.

If you haven't seen any of it, Motherwell over the course of this season have done a number of videos on twitter etc that have gone viral with coaches versus players challenges and a video marking Peter Hartley's signing, which took the mickey out of the video that announced Alexis Sanchez signing for Man Utd.

It reminded me a lot of Outside the Box with Tom Zanelli that we did which was a good laugh that the players seemed to enjoy and wondered if good quality social media was a sign of a club with it's house in order. Bristol City being another example of a club using social media to good effect to bring neutrals on side with their funny gif celebrations for each goalscorer.

Or is it something clubs can only do once things are going well, for example would West Brom get away with doing light hearted videos while getting beat every week.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

SirDavidsNapper
16-04-2018, 01:47 PM
Following Motherwells win the other day which got them into their 2nd cup final of the season, it got me thinking about what impact a well run social media output can have on players morale and if this plays any factor in results.

If you haven't seen any of it, Motherwell over the course of this season have done a number of videos on twitter etc that have gone viral with coaches versus players challenges and a video marking Peter Hartley's signing, which took the mickey out of the video that announced Alexis Sanchez signing for Man Utd.

It reminded me a lot of Outside the Box with Tom Zanelli that we did which was a good laugh that the players seemed to enjoy and wondered if good quality social media was a sign of a club with it's house in order. Bristol City being another example of a club using social media to good effect to bring neutrals on side with their funny gif celebrations for each goalscorer.

Or is it something clubs can only do once things are going well, for example would West Brom get away with doing light hearted videos while getting beat every week.

Thoughts?

I think Motherwell have it spot on imo. Their video on Twitter (sorry no link) with the players doing the clap/chant thing with their fans was superb. Watched it a few times.

That kind of thing works wonders and raises the profile of the club. Look at us with SOL. There's only one famous club in Edinburgh.

Smartie
16-04-2018, 01:48 PM
I think that good communication with the fans via any platform can only ever be a good thing.

Although it can only do so much, results on the park have to be up to scratch for there to be anything like a feel good factor.

There comes a point where a struggling club can do nothing right.

Take a club like Sunderland who are in free fall - all the good social media communication in the world won't distract their fans from how bad things actually are on the park, and often become another stick with which to beat the club.

"Oh aye - great stuff getting the players out clapping with the fans. If only they put in as much effort at keeping the ball out of our net" etc etc......

zlatan
16-04-2018, 02:02 PM
I think Hearts spoof bus video last week and the reaction it got from their fans shows there's a time and a place for it.

Sylar
16-04-2018, 02:05 PM

Thoughts?

My good friend, and former STV Sport Journalist, Grant Russell was recently appointed to run Motherwell's communications and he (along with the team around him) deserve immense respect for how they've engaged with their social media platforms.

I do think the on-field situation at Motherwell helps, but you need to know how, and when to communicate during the good times and bad.

Not In The Know
16-04-2018, 02:50 PM
I think Hearts spoof bus video last week and the reaction it got from their fans shows there's a time and a place for it.

Did the mutants not find it funny?

pacoluna
16-04-2018, 04:47 PM
In the bottom 6 and no one remembers the finalists. Ain't been that good a season.

WeeRussell
16-04-2018, 04:58 PM
In the bottom 6 and no one remembers the finalists. Ain't been that good a season.

Whether they’re remembered for it or not, getting to two cup finals in one season is an achievement. I’m sure they’d rather finish bottom 6 and have a pop at the cup than finish 6th with nothing to show for it.

They may yet have a better season than us, and we’re quick to talk about how good things are at Easter road right now.

Good luck to them.

guthrie01
16-04-2018, 05:02 PM

They could still win the Scottish you know...

Also they finished 9th last season and looking likely to finish 6th this time with a potential cup win which may not be great but it’s showing progress for Motherwell and they had a hard task replacing Moult mid season which they did in Main who is performing just as good now.

They should be going into next season feeling a lot better about the future

CallumLaidlaw
16-04-2018, 08:08 PM
They could still win the Scottish you know...

Also they finished 9th last season and looking likely to finish 6th this time with a potential cup win which may not be great but it’s showing progress for Motherwell and they had a hard task replacing Moult mid season which they did in Main who is performing just as good now.

They should be going into next season feeling a lot better about the future

We all know what happened the last time a non old firm team reached both cup finals......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smartie
16-04-2018, 08:14 PM
We all know what happened the last time a non old firm team reached both cup finals......

Aberdeen got pumped in both?

CallumLaidlaw
16-04-2018, 08:14 PM
Aberdeen got pumped in both?

Oh aye yeah [emoji23][emoji23]

Souter96Mac
16-04-2018, 08:23 PM
Fair to say been a good season for motherwell, they've done well having two great strikers leading the way to both finals in Moult and Main.