PDA

View Full Version : Aberdeen - the team to target for third?

HibeeHibernian4
14-04-2018, 01:15 PM
2nd) Rangers 62 +29
3rd) Aberdeen 62 +14
4th) Hibs 59 +14

Now, don't get me wrong, I'd love to overhaul Rangers, and I'm not ruling it out, but looking at that table, and the fact that Aberdeen routinely choke against both halves of the Old Firm and are now demoralised from today's abject showing, surely they're the team for us to go after?

Even if we only drew at Pittodrie (horrendous recent record up there), we'd need just three more points than they get from their last five, and third - and Europe - is ours, given the similar goal difference. To finish ahead of Rangers, we'll almost certainly need to better their total by four points, I can't see that happening unless the wheels fall off.

(EDIT: Ignore the awful thumbnail attempt.)

BegbieHSC
14-04-2018, 01:31 PM
2nd) Rangers 62 +29
3rd) Aberdeen 62 +14
4th) Hibs 59 +14

Now, don't get me wrong, I'd love to overhaul Rangers, and I'm not ruling it out, but looking at that table, and the fact that Aberdeen routinely choke against both halves of the Old Firm and are now demoralised from today's abject showing, surely they're the team for us to go after?

Even if we only drew at Pittodrie (horrendous recent record up there), we'd need just three more points than they get from their last five, and third - and Europe - is ours, given the similar goal difference. To finish ahead of Rangers, we'll almost certainly need to better their total by four points, I can't see that happening unless the wheels fall off.

Get you, but I reckon we're more likely to take points from Sellic than the Huns, so 2nd is ours for the taking imo.

K.Marx
14-04-2018, 01:33 PM
Get you, but I reckon we're more likely to take points from Sellic than the Huns, so 2nd is ours for the taking imo.

However Rangers are more likely to take points against Hearts then we are, given our pretty piss poor record there. Hard to call tbh

givescotlandfreedom
14-04-2018, 01:39 PM
Big game bottlers again, go into the game at Pittodrie with the right mindset and we've every chance.

Jack Hackett
14-04-2018, 01:40 PM
However Rangers are more likely to take points against Hearts then we are, given our pretty piss poor record there. Hard to call tbh

Our poor record at the PBS recently is more due to bad luck and refereeing. This will be redressed at our next game there. We own them and they know it.

horseflesh
14-04-2018, 09:51 PM
Aberdeen look to have hit poor form at the wrong time. Getting pumped off hearts and Motherwell 2-0 and 3-0 are dreadful results against poor teams. I expect us to win at the PBS

Cod Boy
14-04-2018, 11:11 PM
Our poor record at the PBS recently is more due to bad luck and refereeing. This will be redressed at our next game there. We own them and they know it.

No Away victory in this fixture for either team since 2014.

Pete
14-04-2018, 11:14 PM
Aberdeen are faltering at the wrong time so they are the ones who will be overhauled.

Bettering them by one win will do it as it’s neck and neck as far as GD is concerned.

We’ll give it to them I reckon but at the same time I hope they overtake Rangers.

15-04-2018, 12:08 AM
Was hoping they'd beat Motherwell so 4th would be guaranteed a Euro place but hopefully now Motherwell's comfortable win over them is a huge dent in their confidence and they capitulate in the league.

hibbysam
15-04-2018, 07:20 AM
Aberdeen have their two ‘easiest’ games first. If they struggle in those two games they could easily end up winning no games.

pacorosssco
15-04-2018, 07:34 AM
Big game bottlers again, go into the game at Pittodrie with the right mindset and we've every chance.

our records at pitoders and pbs is a big hurdle

The Modfather
15-04-2018, 08:46 AM

We’ll need to be set up to win at Tynecastle as a draw, which is what we are usually set up for and not a bad result in itself, likely won’t be enough this time.

BoomtownHibees
15-04-2018, 09:04 AM
We’ll need to be set up to win at Tynecastle as a draw, which is what we are usually set up for and not a bad result in itself, likely won’t be enough this time.

I’ve never known us to be “setup for a draw” at Tynecastle

K.Marx
15-04-2018, 10:16 AM

Agreed. Lennon hasn’t managed a win at Tynecastle and neither did Stubbs, and that’s in an era of us having the upper hand over the piece. Really hoping for 3 points this time around.

Is It On....
15-04-2018, 10:37 AM
2nd) Rangers 62 +29
3rd) Aberdeen 62 +14
4th) Hibs 59 +14

I think Killie will also be targeting Aberdeen who could finish 5th!!. Aberdeen's results in important games has been pretty poor this season - post split are all important so we should be expecting to finish above them.

Heisenberg
15-04-2018, 10:46 AM
I think Killie will also be targeting Aberdeen who could finish 5th!!. Aberdeen's results in important games has been pretty poor this season - post split are all important so we should be expecting to finish above them.

I don’t think we should be “expecting” to finish above anyone tbh. That just leads to unrealistic expectation and a general hysteria on here if it doesn’t pan out that way.

I’d have been content with top six this season and we’ve done very well so far to have secured a place but also be in there fighting for Europe. This is very much a rare occurrence for Hibs in the modern era. Aberdeen are a strong side who shouldn’t be underestimated.

Is It On....
15-04-2018, 11:22 AM
I don’t think we should be “expecting” to finish above anyone tbh. That just leads to unrealistic expectation and a general hysteria on here if it doesn’t pan out that way.

I’d have been content with top six this season and we’ve done very well so far to have secured a place but also be in there fighting for Europe. This is very much a rare occurrence for Hibs in the modern era. Aberdeen are a strong side who shouldn’t be underestimated.

I maybe should have said we should believe that we can finish above them. I certainly don't think we should underestimate any other team but equally we should not underestimate the team we have. 🙂

Northernhibee
15-04-2018, 08:23 PM
Score as many points as we can, don't bother with what the teams around us are doing and we'll be just fine.

Austinho
16-04-2018, 05:11 AM
I think that objectively, we have the hardest fixtures out of everyone.

Aberdeen and Kilmarnock will get to play Celtic when they have the league wrapped up and can afford to rest players for the SC final. We won’t.
Aberdeen, Kilmarnock and Rangers will all face a Hearts side with nothing left to play for, except for trying to beat us.

It’s not going to be easy. I’m confident, but part of me would be tempted to settle for 4th as it stands.

JDHibs
16-04-2018, 11:45 AM
NL would have watched both they games over the week in delight, both look like they are there for the taking!

Aberdeen will choke and Rangers are just a poor team. If we keep our form going we will win 3 games and draw 1 at least with 1 loss.

southsider
16-04-2018, 05:27 PM
Heading up to Aberdeen for the first time in almost 30 years. Hope we can take a big support up .

Famous Fiver
16-04-2018, 05:40 PM
They are a different side with McLean in it.

Unavailable on Saturday, I take it he will be back for our visit.