PDA

View Full Version : Spartans game today

Del Boy
14-04-2018, 06:06 AM
Anyone at a loose end today with no hibs can get along to Ainslie Park where Spartans can win the Lowland league with a victory against East Stirling. Under 16s are free and adults with hibs season ticket get in for half price.

bigwheel
14-04-2018, 07:45 AM
wish them all the best today - great bunch of people who run Spartans - doing amazing things off the field...and on the field - this team has come with an incredibly consistent run to give themselves a real chance - hard game today - East Stirling have spent more money on players and score a lot of goals - think it is 50/50 this one...

LustForLeith
14-04-2018, 08:11 AM
Will they then go into a p!ay off for promotion?

Oscar T Grouch
14-04-2018, 08:13 AM

Yeah they play off with the Highland league winners, the winner of that plays Cowdenbeath or whomever finishes bottom of league 2

offshorehibby
14-04-2018, 08:14 AM

Unless anything has changed they will play off against winners of the Highland league then the winners will play bottom of league 2.

Good luck today Spartans

Diclonius
14-04-2018, 09:21 AM
Most likely playoffs will be Spartans v Cove and whoever wins that v Cowdenbeath.

If either team beats Cowden we'll have four teams from Edinburgh in the league system or two from Aberdeen - has either ever happened before?

Aim Here
14-04-2018, 09:32 AM
Most likely playoffs will be Spartans v Cove and whoever wins that v Cowdenbeath.

If either team beats Cowden we'll have four teams from Edinburgh in the league system or two from Aberdeen - has either ever happened before?

A quick browse of Wikipedia suggests there were four Edinburgh Teams - Hibs, Hearts, Leith Athletic and the old Edinburgh City - in the leagues just after World War 2.
I suspect there were never two Aberdonian teams - Aberdeen FC was formed by consolidating three non-league teams.

Souter96Mac
14-04-2018, 10:12 AM
Would love to see Spartans go through, any team is an improvement on having Cowdenbeath and their shambolic ground in the league system. They'd also have a tasty derby vs Edinburgh city

Billy Whizz
14-04-2018, 10:14 AM
Would love to see Spartans go through, any team is an improvement on having Cowdenbeath and their shambolic ground in the league system. They'd also have a tasty derby vs Edinburgh city

Do we need another Edinburgh team at this level though?

Souter96Mac
14-04-2018, 10:22 AM

I can't see why not, it's not likely to impact ourselves.

bigwheel
14-04-2018, 10:38 AM

thats the magic of the pyramid system, if they earn it, they deserve it.....

AFKA5814_Hibs
14-04-2018, 03:58 PM
0-0. Spartans win their league.

1van Sprou7e
14-04-2018, 04:00 PM
Fantastic news, would love for them to get promoted

MSK
14-04-2018, 04:05 PM
Do we need another Edinburgh team at this level though?What harm does it do ? They have earned that right

we are hibs
14-04-2018, 04:52 PM

The less west coast based sides and more east based the better

One Day
15-04-2018, 09:36 AM
Hope they do it, Ainslie is close to me so would maybe pop over if Hibs were away an I wasn't going

Iggy Pope
15-04-2018, 09:45 AM
I'd be sorry to see Cowden go down. Some Hibs association there in the past and one of my earliest memories of watching Hibs was against them, a late John Blackley equaliser in a 2-2 draw at Easter Road. I've a bit of time for them.

LustForLeith
15-04-2018, 10:09 AM
Me and my son were at the game yesterday, I think the nerves got to Spartan as they struggled to break down Shire.

Anyone know when the Cove game is?

Saturday Boy
15-04-2018, 10:36 AM
Me and my son were at the game yesterday, I think the nerves got to Spartan as they struggled to break down Shire.

At Cove Saturday 28 April with the return leg on Tuesday 1 May at Ainslie Park

LustForLeith
15-04-2018, 12:08 PM
At Cove Saturday 28 April with the return leg on Tuesday 1 May at Ainslie Park

Thanks

Sas_The_Hibby
15-04-2018, 05:05 PM
A quick browse of Wikipedia suggests there were four Edinburgh Teams - Hibs, Hearts, Leith Athletic and the old Edinburgh City - in the leagues just after World War 2.
I suspect there were never two Aberdonian teams - Aberdeen FC was formed by consolidating three non-league teams.

Haven't looked at the records but did once see an old 'Green' paper (Evening Dispatch equivalent of the 'Pink') from the 1930s and the results in the senior leagues included the four you mention plus St Bernards, making five Scottish League clubs from Edinburgh.

A Hi-Bee
15-04-2018, 05:26 PM
Haven't looked at the records but did once see an old 'Green' paper (Evening Dispatch equivalent of the 'Pink') from the 1930s and the results in the senior leagues included the four you mention plus St Bernards, making five Scottish League clubs from Edinburgh.

Also a certain Leith Renton as well going way back.

dangermouse
16-04-2018, 05:44 PM

I was there as well. One of the worst games of football I've ever seen. Shire official sitting beside me saying they played Spartans a couple of weeks before and they were by far the best team they had played. He couldn't understand how bad they were.

A bit of exuberance at the end as well :greengrin

Famous Fiver
16-04-2018, 05:46 PM
Spartans against the Jambos.

Natural Order.

pacoluna
16-04-2018, 05:50 PM
I'd be sorry to see Cowden go down. Some Hibs association there in the past and one of my earliest memories of watching Hibs was against them, a late John Blackley equaliser in a 2-2 draw at Easter Road. I've a bit of time for them.
What's the reason for cowdenbeaths regression the past few years? Severely went down.

Iggy Pope
16-04-2018, 06:07 PM
What's the reason for cowdenbeaths regression the past few years? Severely went down hill the past few years.

No idea really. They're not alone though.