PDA

View Full Version : Stokesy in bother again

Sauzee16
13-04-2018, 10:59 AM
Some boy (save the link to the Record)

Former Celtic striker Anthony Stokes in trouble again after going missing at Apollon SmyrniStokes hasn't been seen all week at the Greek club and bosses say they are in the dark over his disappearance.

Anthony Stokes is in trouble with his bosses at Greek side Apollon Smyrni after going AWOL.
And the former Celtic (https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/all-about/celtic-fc) and Hibs (https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/all-about/hibernian-fc) striker has been warned he'd better apologise if he hopes to have any future with the club.

The controversial Irish international left Easter Road at the last transfer window after Hibs boss Neil Lennon finally lost patience with Stokes after an incident involving a fire extinguisher during their Algarve winter training camp.
He signed for Greek Super League side Apollon, who are battling against relegation, but he's been unable to score in the four games he's played for them so far. And this week, Stokes (https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/all-about/anthony-stokes) has failed to turn up for training all week to the bemusement of manager Georgios Paraschos.

He said: "Stokes has not appeared at training for the past three days. We will be seeking an apology. This is unacceptable.
"We have had no explanation from him."

Stokes has already been fined by Apollon last month after taking additional time off from training to resolve a 'personal matter.'

pacorosssco
13-04-2018, 11:01 AM
He's probably done noo

Coco Bryce
13-04-2018, 11:06 AM
Heading should have been....

'Former Scottish Cup Winning Hibs Player'

Guy's a complete car crash!

Hibrandenburg
13-04-2018, 11:07 AM
Poor man's George Best.

Carheenlea
13-04-2018, 11:09 AM
He’ll never change, but for all his flaws, Anthony Stokes will forever be ingrained in Hibernian history for that day in May. The sight of him wheeling away after opening the scoring at Hamoden amid a thick cloud of smoke will always send a shiver down my spine :agree:

Thecat23
13-04-2018, 11:12 AM
Absolute waste of a career. Done this at Hibs many times. Saying he needed more time off etc.. He simply hates training and will do anything to get out of it.

Thank god we are shot of him.

Pretty Boy
I really worry he'll be the next washed up ex player who pissed it all against a wall flogging his story to the Sunday Mail for a few quid blaming everyone but himself.

Hibs legend and I hope he gets himself sorted out. He didn't look happy at Hibs earlier this season and the above doesn't make good reading. I genuinely worry for him.

Colr
Maybe him and Garry O’ Connor could set up a side for wastrels.

What any of us would give to have his talent!!

hibsbollah
13-04-2018, 11:16 AM
Everyone makes their choices in life. He's allowed to decide to not take his career seriously.

I'll always love the guy, he's done his job :aok:

Sauzee16
13-04-2018, 11:17 AM
Maybe him and Garry O’ Connor could set up a side for wastrels.

What any of us would give to have his talent!!

Maybe big Gaz should have a strong word in his ear and show himself as that example of where Stokes is going.

He'll be playing for Dundee or someone next season.

staunchhibby
13-04-2018, 11:19 AM
What a idiot.He is never going to learn.A big liability for any team to take a chance on.Career wasted on stupidity.

WeeRussell
13-04-2018, 11:25 AM
Flawed legend.

Not many men could become one of my all time favourite Hibs players for a 90 minutes performance.

13-04-2018, 11:25 AM
Legend

SirDavidsNapper
13-04-2018, 11:32 AM
If all else fails for Stokesy he's always welcome round mine. He can have full access to my missus, my beer and whatever else he wants. In fact i'll even applaud him before, during and after. Legend.

DaveF
13-04-2018, 11:33 AM
Will probably end up in the Irish league's somewhere. If he's lucky.

Peevemor
13-04-2018, 11:35 AM
I have a friend who puts me in mind of Stokes. He's a great guy with a heart of gold and is very gifted at certain things, but you can't depend on him for anything. He's in a constant state of personal crisis (wife, family, work) and, to listen to him, it's never his fault. It's really difficult not to simply write him off, but I honestly don't think he deserves that. He doesn't choose to be the way he is - it's just the way he is.

HUTCHYHIBBY
13-04-2018, 11:35 AM
Everyone makes their choices in life. He's allowed to decide to not take his career seriously.

I concur.

oconnors_strip
13-04-2018, 11:36 AM
I’m sure I seen stokes in Edinburgh this week, maybe life in Greece isn’t as easy as he thought it would be

3pm
13-04-2018, 11:37 AM
I’m sure I seen stokes in Edinburgh this week, maybe life in Greece isn’t as easy as he thought it would be

You did! :greengrin

NORTHERNHIBBY
13-04-2018, 11:44 AM
Real shame. Legend no doubt but we are a better team without his unsettling influence. I would say that the Greek team are now in the same position that we were in , in that this is the risk not paying off. Unless he gets a team who are willing to put up with this behaviour, it will be rinse and repeat for Stokes as long as there are offers for him. It is almost like deciding when and when not to behave, is the only part of his life that he can control.

SirDavidsNapper
13-04-2018, 11:47 AM

Sure i saw his white Audi at East Mains...or was it his? :wink:

truehibernian
13-04-2018, 11:55 AM
I really worry he'll be the next washed up ex player who pissed it all against a wall flogging his story to the Sunday Mail for a few quid blaming everyone but himself.

Hibs legend and I hope he gets himself sorted out. He didn't look happy at Hibs earlier this season and the above doesn't make good reading. I genuinely worry for him.

For me he was noticeably carrying weight PB and was unfit. The lad is a real talent but inherently lazy.

I spotted a few players during the Killie 1-1 game (December) having a right go at him which continued after he came off the pitch at half time.

In saying that, in recent games Efe seems to be getting it tight from a few players - which again could be down to the same reasons (him not pulling his weight at training). Did you see the way SJM launched into Efe up at County - and Darren does it every single game they play together (rightly too). The squad harmony has clearly improved since Stokes left but what I am also enjoying seeing is that even when we are in good form, players are still being asked to step up in games and keep their standards high. The team has quite a few leaders in it which is a huge positive. Couldn't have been an easy situation to manage (Stokes) but I'll bet you any money only Lennon would have taken the action he did (as opposed to any other rival manager). How many other managers would have allowed two top scorers to leave and then relied on two untried strikers. Brave management but very decisive leadership.

Waxy
13-04-2018, 11:55 AM
Doesn’t seem bothered now does he. He bothered alot on 21/5/16 for us though. Legend.

guthrie01
13-04-2018, 11:58 AM
:hilarious Same old Stokesy, some boy

Smartie
13-04-2018, 12:20 PM
I have a friend who puts me in mind of Stokes. He's a great guy with a heart of gold and is very gifted at certain things, but you can't depend on him for anything. He's in a constant state of personal crisis (wife, family, work) and, to listen to him, it's never his fault. It's really difficult not to simply write him off, but I honestly don't think he deserves that. He doesn't choose to be the way he is - it's just the way he is.

I think we all know folk like that, some of us may even be that guy........

It often coms down to the ability to delay gratification, make difficult decisions and make sacrifices for a long-term benefit.

If you take the easy option every time and cannot resist temptation, you end up this cycle of nonsense, a cycle that can be difficult to break.

Talent will only ever get you so far.

Geo_1875
13-04-2018, 12:22 PM
Complete waste of a god-given talent.

Thank goodness he's such a waster or he'd never have been near Hibs.

.Sean.
13-04-2018, 12:23 PM
He was in Lulu’s last Friday which I thought strange as assumed he’d have been playing the following day

hibsbollah
13-04-2018, 12:26 PM
I think we all know folk like that, some of us may even be that guy........

It often coms down to the ability to delay gratification, make difficult decisions and make sacrifices for a long-term benefit.

If you take the easy option every time and cannot resist temptation, you end up this cycle of nonsense, a cycle that can be difficult to break.

Talent will only ever get you so far.

I find the sanctimony of some fans a bit annoying sometimes. Particularly when I know some of the antics they get up to in their own lives. On a personal level, I took a lot of twists and turns in my own life in my twenties before i 'settled down' in any understood sense. I couldn't deliver Hibs the Holy grail like Stokesy but I'm fairly sure I could have kept up with him on a night out...

Wasters are human too:aok:

The_Horde
13-04-2018, 12:29 PM
Said it before his spell ended. The lad just cannot be arsed being a professional footballer anymore.

Sauzee16
13-04-2018, 12:29 PM
I find the sanctimony of some fans a bit annoying sometimes. Particularly when I know some of the antics they get up to in their own lives. On a personal level, I took a lot of twists and turns in my own life in my twenties before i 'settled down' in any understood sense. I couldn't deliver Hibs the Holy grail like Stokesy but I'm fairly sure I could have kept up with him on a night out...

Good point. People forget how young footballers actually are.

snooky
13-04-2018, 12:33 PM
Complete waste of a god-given talent.

Thank goodness he's such a waster or he'd never have been near Hibs.

:agree: End of.

Hibs1969
13-04-2018, 12:34 PM
Stokes is a textbook example of someone being a legend and a waste of space at the same time. He’ll forever be a club legend for his contribution on that day, but lets face it, he has always been a loose cannon who seems to be hellbent on self destruction. His only real success since May 2016 has been to royally piss off the one man in NL who seemed capable of understanding him and getting the best out of him.

SirDavidsNapper
13-04-2018, 12:36 PM

Post of the year

One Day Soon
13-04-2018, 12:37 PM
Is he completely off our books? I hope we don't have any wage obligation to him if they punt him.

truehibernian
13-04-2018, 12:41 PM

That's a good and very true post bollah - but for many it's not that Stokesy was/is a waster, more that he seriously has the talent to go to the top of the game, especially when you see some of the so-called 'talent' on display in the EPL down south. A bit like Derek, both of them were naturally gifted footballers with more skill in their little toe than many of the footballers we watch on the box.

It's a short career that does mean you have to sacrifice things that you and me and joe public haven't had to - which must be difficult when you are a star name with lots of money (for one so young too).

Just wish he could have screwed the nut and proved many wrong. But the day in May will forever be his legacy amongst Hibs fans which is the most important thing........I watched the final again recently and Stokes could have had 4 or 5 goals that day too, it was an immense performance :aok:

jgl07
13-04-2018, 12:47 PM
To be honest, Greek football is in a right mess.

Players from Panathinaikos have effectively gone on strike because they haven't been paid money from last season.

The whole League programme was suspended after the President of PAOK Thessaloniki stormed on to the pitch to protest a referees decision with a holstered handgun on his hip.

The President of Olympiacos suspended most of the first team after a Twitter row following a Europa defeat by Atletico Madrid.

The whole thing appears to be on the verge of collapse.

J-C
13-04-2018, 12:56 PM
Is anyone really surprised by this story, he's finished in the game now, no one will touch him with a barge pole.

hibsbollah
13-04-2018, 12:57 PM

Players from Panathinaikos have effectively gone on strike because they haven't been paid money from last season.

The whole League programme was suspended after the President of PAOK Thessaloniki stormed on to the pitch to protest a referees decision with a holstered handgun on his hip.

The President of Olympiacos suspended most of the first team after a Twitter row following a Europa defeat by Atletico Madrid.

:agree: yes, I've just been reading about that, Olympiakos/Panathaniakos both in real trouble, not paying their players. As the Greek economy has collapsed so its now affecting even the millionaires at the top of the pyramid. I think its the Olympiakos owner who also owns Nottingham Forest and has been the subject of a few criminal investigations as well.

Despite the Mythos and the weather, Greece might not have been the best destination for Stokesy.

cabbageandribs1875
13-04-2018, 12:58 PM
Is anyone really surprised by this story, he's finished in the game now, no one will touch him with a barge pole.

hertz are taking on players just now looking to top up their pension pots :greengrin

Clerie Green
13-04-2018, 01:04 PM
In Neil and Leeanne we trust .

:flag::nlgwa:flag:

BegbieHSC
13-04-2018, 01:05 PM
He’s a flawed hero.

Could have had it all, but could never screw the nut, and given his talent, wasted his career.

For us however he’s a real hero, and will forever be a club legend. Never seen a performance like that in a Hibs shirt in my life, and I really hope he can do something with the rest of his career.

Feel for the guy.

Lago
13-04-2018, 01:06 PM
Unfortunately you may well be right.

Onceinawhile
13-04-2018, 01:06 PM

Aye, but at least they don't have a split.:wink:

Phil MaGlass
13-04-2018, 01:11 PM
From what I remember, there is a lazy gene in the body that makes you not give 100% all the time. I have it, I´m supposed to be working the noo:wink:. Maybe its all doon tae genetics

southsider
13-04-2018, 01:19 PM
That's a good and very true post bollah - but for many it's not that Stokesy was/is a waster, more that he seriously has the talent to go to the top of the game, especially when you see some of the so-called 'talent' on display in the EPL down south. A bit like Derek, both of them were naturally gifted footballers with more skill in their little toe than many of the footballers we watch on the box.

It's a short career that does mean you have to sacrifice things that you and me and joe public haven't had to - which must be difficult when you are a star name with lots of money (for one so young too).

Just wish he could have screwed the nut and proved many wrong. But the day in May will forever be his legacy amongst Hibs fans which is the most important thing........I watched the final again recently and Stokes could have had 4 or 5 goals that day too, it was an immense performance :aok:
Perhaps he knows that he will never better that performance. Or like his dad said (after a few drinks), on that day "why can't you play like that every week".

TelaStella
13-04-2018, 01:28 PM
Seen him on George Street a couple of weeks ago but assumed he was back home given what’s been occurring in Greek football recently. Anyway, absolute legend and nothing else to add.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sauzee16
13-04-2018, 01:31 PM
Stokes is a textbook example of someone being a legend and a waste of space at the same time. He’ll forever be a club legend for his contribution on that day, but lets face it, he has always been a loose cannon who seems to be hellbent on self destruction. His only real success since May 2016 has been to royally piss off the one man in NL who seemed capable of understanding him and getting the best out of him.

Calling Stokes a waste of space :rolleyes:

heretoday
13-04-2018, 01:32 PM

I had to laugh when he went to Greece. It was only a matter of time before things went wrong. He's just not a very smart guy but what the hell.

We cherish his memory!

mentalhibee
13-04-2018, 01:34 PM
Absolute waste of a career. Done this at Hibs many times. Saying he needed more time off etc.. He simply hates training and will do anything to get out of it.

Thank god we are shot of him.

Waste of a career!! Nah, He’s played and won trophies for his boyhood hero’s then broke the biggest Scottish cup hoodoo with a man of the match performance for Hibs. The guys a Legend! A bit of a bomb scare but hardly wasted his career. If he was the consummate professional he’d most likely never have played for Hibs.

Sauzee16
13-04-2018, 01:35 PM
He’s a flawed hero.

Could have had it all, but could never screw the nut, and given his talent, wasted his career.

For us however he’s a real hero, and will forever be a club legend. Never seen a performance like that in a Hibs shirt in my life, and I really hope he can do something with the rest of his career.

Feel for the guy.

Again, I don't understand how he's wasted his career? He's 29 played in the EPL, played for his boyhood club scoring 135 goals, winning numerous stuff, played for his country, won the English Championship, won the SPFL Prem 4 times, Scottish Cup 3 times including 2 man of the match performance in the final, league cup, goal of the season.

That's some career to have wasted.

snooky
13-04-2018, 01:40 PM

He's not the first and won't be the last in this world.

I've often wondered if it's the self-destruct chromosome is part and parcel of the outstanding talent these people have or if they are two separate entities.
As they say, "there's a fine line between genius and madness."

NORTHERNHIBBY
13-04-2018, 01:43 PM

That is one way of looking at it, but I think that a lot of what is said comes not from being intentionally judgemental or indeed sanctimonious as you say, but more from a deep frustration of what we could have achieved with him in the team, week in and week out at the top of his game. The paradox being that a quality player like Stokes performing week in and week out at the top of is game, is EPL quality, not SPL.

BegbieHSC
13-04-2018, 01:44 PM
Again, I don't understand how he's wasted his career? He's 29 played in the EPL, played for his boyhood club scoring 135 goals, winning numerous stuff, played for his country, won the English Championship, won the SPFL Prem 4 times, Scottish Cup 3 times including 2 man of the match performance in the final, league cup, goal of the season.

That's some career to have wasted.

true. Probably the wrong use of words. Just disappointed I suppose given his age is when strikers are meant to be in their prime. Just wish he could have screwed the nut, and played in his prime helping us get to 2nd, and become even more of a legend playing for us in Europe.

heretoday
13-04-2018, 01:49 PM
Waste of a career!! Nah, He’s played and won trophies for his boyhood hero’s then broke the biggest Scottish cup hoodoo with a man of the match performance for Hibs. The guys a Legend! A bit of a bomb scare but hardly wasted his career. If he was the consummate professional he’d most likely never have played for Hibs.

Aye right enough.

lyonhibs
13-04-2018, 01:50 PM
Won the Scottish Cup with Hibs. How any Hibs fan can come out with the "waste of space" chat is beyond me.

He was at his more or less unplayable best against Ross County over Xmas time and I, for one, am glad I got to see him in that form 1 last time.

His time with us is finito, but what a legend.

oconnors_strip
13-04-2018, 01:54 PM
Sure i saw his white Audi at East Mains...or was it his? :wink:

I’m not being sarcastic, I genuinely thought it was stokes on Corstorphine road and have heard from others he was back in town

hibsbollah
13-04-2018, 01:56 PM
That is one way of looking at it, but I think that a lot of what is said comes not from being intentionally judgemental or indeed sanctimonious as you say, but more from a deep frustration of what we could have achieved with him in the team, week in and week out at the top of his game. The paradox being that a quality player like Stokes performing week in and week out at the top of is game, is EPL quality, not SPL.

That's the paradox, and it's almost pointless guessing what kind of player he could have been if he wasn't the player he was. He wasn't :greengrin (Stokes' talent with Lewis' dedication mixed in a test tube somewhere, now you're talking...)

But that final, that game, I'm convinced the very top defenders in world football would have struggled to stop him. Scott Brown, Thomson, Fletcher, they've all played that well on occasion, in run of the mill SPL games, but on the biggest stage, the biggest game of all, to play like that? If you judge players on how they handle the biggest games, Stokes is an all time Hibs great.

Sauzee16
13-04-2018, 01:57 PM
true. Probably the wrong use of words. Just disappointed I suppose given his age is when strikers are meant to be in their prime. Just wish he could have screwed the nut, and played in his prime helping us get to 2nd, and become even more of a legend playing for us in Europe.

I agree. :aok:

Hi Heid Yin
13-04-2018, 02:03 PM
Stokesy can walk away from the game today and be relatively satisfied with what he has achieved in his career.
There is life outside football and he will survive, albeit on less money than he's been used to.
He has experienced a life most of us can only dream of - doing what he loved, but eventually fell out of love with.
I will always think of the positive and what he gave us on that special day in May.

Good luck in all that you do from here on, Stokesy!.

Albanian Hibs
13-04-2018, 02:08 PM
Hibs legend.

NAE NOOKIE
13-04-2018, 02:11 PM
Good point. People forget how young footballers actually are.

That is the big dilemma for any person hoping to make a career / get rich in professional sport. By its very nature at the very time when you want to be distracted by wine women and song you have to put it all on the back burner if you have ambition to fully maximize your potential. For some folk their natural talent will carry them through to an extent .... George Best, Gazza etc, but even those guys were found out eventually.

Stokes has had a pretty decent career when you look at his medal haul and he will always be a legend here on the back of one game. But the truth is if he had been Anthony Stokes with the professional attitude of Lewis Stevenson to go with the talent he would be kicking it on a beach somewhere with far more zeros in his bank balance than he has now.

I cant see any club in the top divisions of British football taking a chance on him .... He isn't famous enough to make a living writing books about himself or as a football pundit and I doubt he has the aptitude for coaching .. how the hell can someone with his record expect to be respected by kids or pros he would be in charge of? ... especially if he had to discipline anyone for being late or not turning up for training.

The future for AS so far as I can see is working in his family boozer in Dublin and if he thinks being a professional footballer is a hard shift he will be in for a bloody shock if he's asked to run a pub.

Since90+2
13-04-2018, 02:35 PM
That is the big dilemma for any person hoping to make a career / get rich in professional sport. By its very nature at the very time when you want to be distracted by wine women and song you have to put it all on the back burner if you have ambition to fully maximize your potential. For some folk their natural talent will carry them through to an extent .... George Best, Gazza etc, but even those guys were found out eventually.

Stokes has had a pretty decent career when you look at his medal haul and he will always be a legend here on the back of one game. But the truth is if he had been Anthony Stokes with the professional attitude of Lewis Stevenson to go with the talent he would be kicking it on a beach somewhere with far more zeros in his bank balance than he has now.

I cant see any club in the top divisions of British football taking a chance on him .... He isn't famous enough to make a living writing books about himself or as a football pundit and I doubt he has the aptitude for coaching .. how the hell can someone with his record expect to be respected by kids or pros he would be in charge of? ... especially if he had to discipline anyone for being late or not turning up for training.

The future for AS so far as I can see is working in his family boozer in Dublin and if he thinks being a professional footballer is a hard shift he will be in for a bloody shock if he's asked to run a pub.

He will have enough money not to have to work another day in his life if he wanted to I'd imagine. He would have earned a relative fortune in his years at Celtic and Sunderland and probably got a decent signing on fee at Blackburn.

NAE NOOKIE
13-04-2018, 02:59 PM
He will have enough money not to have to work another day in his life if he wanted to I'd imagine. He would have earned a relative fortune in his years at Celtic and Sunderland and probably got a decent signing on fee at Blackburn.

Given the fact that this was a guy allegedly borrowing money from youth team players at one point does it strike you as likely he has millions sitting in a bank account or a pension plan he has fastidiously contributed to over the years? You are probably correct about his earnings over the years, sadly the question 'how much does he still have left?' is an entirely different matter.

Sauzee16
13-04-2018, 03:16 PM

A lot of that is true but then there’s the other part where his natural talent has earned him a fortune before he was even a proper grown adult and that’s all he’s used to. Lewis has had to work very hard for the career he has had, Stokes got given it through ability so he’s never had to work hard. If he had to he would probably appreciate the sacrifice needed more.

Sauzee16
13-04-2018, 03:17 PM
Given the fact that this was a guy allegedly borrowing money from youth team players at one point does it strike you as likely he has millions sitting in a bank account or a pension plan he has fastidiously contributed to over the years? You are probably correct about his earnings over the years, sadly the question 'how much does he still have left?' is an entirely different matter.

Wasn’t that prior to going to Celtic on a massive contract?

Since90+2
13-04-2018, 03:18 PM

Allegedly borrowing money before he went to Celtic and spent 6 years there probably earning a small fortune in a basic wage plus goal bonuses , win bonuses and bonuses for winning trophies. To suggest his future is working in his dad's pub would seem a little strange to me, he will have enough money to allow him to do things 99 percent of the population can't.

WestCoastHibby
13-04-2018, 03:32 PM
He's a very naughty boy....

Jim44
13-04-2018, 03:41 PM
He's a very naughty boy....

....... but the Messiah on one very significant occasion.:wink:

eastcoasthibby
13-04-2018, 03:48 PM
Something seriously not right with him .... to have what he has got and waste himself.the way he.does !!???

lord bunberry
13-04-2018, 04:11 PM
It’s sad to see someone with his talent not be able to keep a lid on his off field life. He’ll always be a legend for me, and I wish him all the best in sorting himself out. It’s not too late for him, but he’s running out of time fast.

Dalianwanda
13-04-2018, 04:25 PM

Is the family boozer in fairview still there? I thought it had burnt down.

pacoluna
13-04-2018, 04:40 PM
He was in Lulu’s last Friday which I thought strange as assumed he’d have been playing the following day

Grass

Famous Fiver
13-04-2018, 05:13 PM
Bad boy before.

Bad boy after.

On one glorious day in May 2016 he was a footballing god.

Whatever happened before or since you cannot take that day away from him.

Absolute Hibs legend.

R'Albin
13-04-2018, 05:29 PM

That's the paradox, and it's almost pointless guessing what kind of player he could have been if he wasn't the player he was. He wasn't :greengrin (Stokes' talent with Lewis' dedication mixed in a test tube somewhere, now you're talking...)

But that final, that game, I'm convinced the very top defenders in world football would have struggled to stop him. Scott Brown, Thomson, Fletcher, they've all played that well on occasion, in run of the mill SPL games, but on the biggest stage, the biggest game of all, to play like that? If you judge players on how they handle the biggest games, Stokes is an all time Hibs great.

:top marks

It's worth remembering that guys like him will have still had to work hard to become a footballer in the first place. After years of playing football every week, he is possibly just fed up of playing. Just because he's exceptionally good at it doesn't mean he necessarily wants to do it that much.

As much as anything, personalities like his make football more interesting.

jakedance
13-04-2018, 05:31 PM
Flawed legend.

Not many men could become one of my all time favourite Hibs players for a 90 minutes performance.

Just adds another chapter to the greatest story ever told. The bampot striker, the fat goalie, the comeback at Tynie, the captain scoring in injury time, exuberance. Our grand kids won’t believe a word of it.

gillythehibby
13-04-2018, 05:34 PM
Some boy (save the link to the Record)

Former Celtic striker Anthony Stokes in trouble again after going missing at Apollon SmyrniStokes hasn't been seen all week at the Greek club and bosses say they are in the dark over his disappearance.

Anthony Stokes is in trouble with his bosses at Greek side Apollon Smyrni after going AWOL.
And the former Celtic (https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/all-about/celtic-fc) and Hibs (https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/all-about/hibernian-fc) striker has been warned he'd better apologise if he hopes to have any future with the club.

The controversial Irish international left Easter Road at the last transfer window after Hibs boss Neil Lennon finally lost patience with Stokes after an incident involving a fire extinguisher during their Algarve winter training camp.
He signed for Greek Super League side Apollon, who are battling against relegation, but he's been unable to score in the four games he's played for them so far. And this week, Stokes (https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/all-about/anthony-stokes) has failed to turn up for training all week to the bemusement of manager Georgios Paraschos.

He said: "Stokes has not appeared at training for the past three days. We will be seeking an apology. This is unacceptable.
"We have had no explanation from him."

Stokes has already been fined by Apollon last month after taking additional time off from training to resolve a 'personal matter.'

The Legend's deffo not missing. I met him in Le Monde last saturday night. 😁👍🍺🍺🇳🇬🇳🇬

snooky
13-04-2018, 05:36 PM
Just adds another chapter to the greatest story ever told. The bampot striker, the fat goalie, the comeback at Tynie, the captain scoring in injury time, exuberance. Our grand kids won’t believe a word of it.

The perfect filmscript if ever there was one.

Carheenlea
13-04-2018, 05:40 PM
He was doing some boxing workouts at Holyrood Gym this afternoon, so at least he’s keeping himself fit. Picture on Twitter looks like he hadn’t a care in the world.

Sauzee16
13-04-2018, 05:46 PM
He was doing some boxing workouts at Holyrood Gym this afternoon, so at least he’s keeping himself fit. Picture on Twitter looks like he hadn’t a care in the world.

Get him back in the summer.

snooky
13-04-2018, 06:00 PM

Maybe that's his 'problem', he just doesn't give a shirt about anything.

Free as a bird. :partyhibb

Sir David Gray
13-04-2018, 06:35 PM
In 30 or 40 years' time do people seriously think that when the name Anthony Stokes gets brought up, people will automatically think about the negatives?

Of course they won't.

His name will be inextricably linked with the greatest day in this club's modern history and that's how we should remember Anthony Stokes. Yes he's a flawed character but so are many other good football players.

Do I think we're better off without him now? Yes.

That doesn't mean I don't have fond memories of him.

I wish him all the best in whatever he chooses to do in life.

KWJ
13-04-2018, 06:37 PM
What SDG said.

WoreTheGreen
13-04-2018, 06:38 PM
Yeah 100%

WoreTheGreen
13-04-2018, 06:41 PM
This guy has literally changed my life in many ways as I take it others to

Borderhibbie76
13-04-2018, 06:54 PM
Won the Scottish Cup with Hibs. How any Hibs fan can come out with the "waste of space" chat is beyond me.

He was at his more or less unplayable best against Ross County over Xmas time and I, for one, am glad I got to see him in that form 1 last time.

His time with us is finito, but what a legend.Absolutely will forever love the guy no matter what he does from here on in...absolute cup winning legend. Maybe he just can't be bothered being a footballer anymore...but he will be spoken of fondly forever down Leith

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Borderhibbie76
13-04-2018, 06:56 PM
Just adds another chapter to the greatest story ever told. The bampot striker, the fat goalie, the comeback at Tynie, the captain scoring in injury time, exuberance. Our grand kids won’t believe a word of it.That's me off again lol

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

One Day Soon
13-04-2018, 07:59 PM

The perfect filmscript if ever there was one.

Absolutely. :agree:

sleeping giant
13-04-2018, 08:00 PM
In 30 or 40 years' time do people seriously think that when the name Anthony Stokes gets brought up, people will automatically think about the negatives?

Of course they won't.

His name will be inextricably linked with the greatest day in this club's modern history and that's how we should remember Anthony Stokes. Yes he's a flawed character but so are many other good football players.

:agree:

Absolutely.

Greenbeard
13-04-2018, 08:42 PM

Aye but it's his job FFS. All very well straying off the straight and narrow, which we all might be liable to do in our personal lives, but do it repeatedly in the work environment and it's jotters time. Do it with repeated employers and it's dole time. Always liked him as a player but as NL said, he's had multiple chances. Sympathy has run out. That said, will still always be a cup winning Hibs legend.

Lancs Harp
13-04-2018, 08:46 PM
Love the guy will always be a hero after May 2016 and thats how I will always personally remember him. Can be a bit of berk though and no doubt he could have achieved a lot more in the game if he had applied himself properly, a great talent not always realised apart from 21/05/16 when he achieved immortality.

superfurryhibby
13-04-2018, 08:51 PM

Of course they won't.

Well said. I would add, bearing in mind the weight of history, the greatest day in all our history.

Footballers or otherwise, he's not a bad lad, just not quite had the savvy to maximise his potential. That's sometimes the way of the erractic artistic talent. As mentioned, we'll look back on the guy with tremendous fondness. Anything else would be the mindset of the fan-dan.

majorhibs
13-04-2018, 09:28 PM
Who’s ever walked a mile in his shoes anyway? Who knows if yer man thinks anything’s been wasted? Naebody! & it’s absolutely anyone’s choice how they use what they’ve got. Why should other individuals have to fit into what you classify in your existence as waste or non waste? & dinnae get me started on another legend in Shane McGowan!

NAE NOOKIE
14-04-2018, 12:50 AM
Who’s ever walked a mile in his shoes anyway? Who knows if yer man thinks anything’s been wasted? Naebody! & it’s absolutely anyone’s choice how they use what they’ve got. Why should other individuals have to fit into what you classify in your existence as waste or non waste? & dinnae get me started on another legend in Shane McGowan!

That's all fine ..... but its not just him that's affected is it? Blackburn took a punt on him and their reward for that was a player who contributed nothing to a team fighting for their lives. Neil Lennon took a risk on him, along with that a big chunk of our clubs wage budget, his reward was a series of below par performances and off field disrespect culminating in what was nothing less than a sacking. This Greek club are apparently also fighting for their survival and once again a player who should be there helping the team and the manager who gave him a chance is contributing nothing, disrespecting his manager, the club and the clubs supporters.

Anthony Stokes is and always will be a legend to me and every other Hibs supporter .... but if you take off the green tinted specs for a minute you have to admit that the guys attitude stinks. If he is indeed fed up being a professional footballer then he should be honest about it and retire ... I hate the expression 'wage thief' .. its all too often unfairly applied to players who just aren't very good rather than not trying .... but from what I can see Mr Stokes is as deserving a candidate for that tag as I've seen.

I take no pleasure in saying that, but its my honest opinion.

jgl07
14-04-2018, 01:25 AM
He will always be a Hibs legend for me.

His decision making has generally been flawed, in particular the three times he left Hibs (or maybe the first two times?).

On the field he has been great with John Hughes, Alan Stubbs and Neil Lennon, but off-field, he has become (or remains?) a liability.

Just remember the good times in all his three spells with Hibs.

Brizo
14-04-2018, 05:47 AM
The fact that he turned up on our greatest day and made it our greatest day is enough for me.

Folk can analyse and pontificate that he was this and he was that and that he could have been this or he could have been that... but really so what.

Absolute legend and the fact he's a flawed legend is nothing new at Hibs or in football.

Captain Trips
14-04-2018, 07:12 AM
I really just wish he can sort himself out here. There is an excellent player in there. I think he really does need some very strong guidance from somebody or this will all end in tears.

One Day
14-04-2018, 07:25 AM

Of course they won't.

This in a nutshell

Greenbeard
14-04-2018, 07:30 AM
That's all fine ..... but its not just him that's affected is it? Blackburn took a punt on him and their reward for that was a player who contributed nothing to a team fighting for their lives. Neil Lennon took a risk on him, along with that a big chunk of our clubs wage budget, his reward was a series of below par performances and off field disrespect culminating in what was nothing less than a sacking. This Greek club are apparently also fighting for their survival and once again a player who should be there helping the team and the manager who gave him a chance is contributing nothing, disrespecting his manager, the club and the clubs supporters.

Anthony Stokes is and always will be a legend to me and every other Hibs supporter .... but if you take off the green tinted specs for a minute you have to admit that the guys attitude stinks. If he is indeed fed up being a professional footballer then he should be honest about it and retire ... I hate the expression 'wage thief' .. its all too often unfairly applied to players who just aren't very good rather than not trying .... but from what I can see Mr Stokes is as deserving a candidate for that tag as I've seen.

Spot on, sadly.

judas
14-04-2018, 07:46 AM
Stokes. Hibernian legend.

I would have swam a mile through pure diarrhoea to see us win the cup (butterfly stroke too).

This man is a hall of fame player as far as im concerned and takes his place alongside Sauzee, Stanton etc.

And as for the guy who said he was a poor mans George Best - not as a hibs player.

scooby
14-04-2018, 07:48 AM

Hard to disagree with any of that.

Sauzee16
14-04-2018, 07:56 AM

His decision making has generally been flawed, in particular the three times he left Hibs (or maybe the first two times?).

On the field he has been great with John Hughes, Alan Stubbs and Neil Lennon, but off-field, he has become (or remains?) a liability.

Leaving Hibs the second time was the best decision he ever made.

Sauzee16
14-04-2018, 08:00 AM

Blackburn didn’t take a punt on him, Blackburn offered him the highest signing on fee and he couldn’t cut it in the championship any longer. Probably blame Mowbray for that, not Stokes.

He also wasn’t our worst player this season by a long shot. He’s fell out with the manager and gone. He played a lot of games so hardly put injured wishing for time off or stealing a wage. He was still one of the best forwards in the league and players focussing on him left space for other players such as McGinn at Ibrox and Parkhead.

Northernhibee
14-04-2018, 08:50 AM
I don't think his heart is truly into football anymore. If he found that out after taking a wage from us, fair enough. If before then I'm disappointed in him.

That day in May was a different story though.

O'Rourke3
14-04-2018, 09:11 AM
I’m not being sarcastic, I genuinely thought it was stokes on Corstorphine road and have heard from others he was back in townHe was in Winstons about two weeks back. Colleague got a photo with him.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

blackpoolhibs
14-04-2018, 09:28 AM
It's a strange one for me, he gave me my best day ever, my best moment in football ever, my best weekend in football ever.

He should be up there with Stanton O'rourke Cropley Brownlie and Schaedler as my all time heros, but he's not, and i can't really explain why?

Its maybe the way he never really wanted to be at Hibs, and we were just a vehicle for him to get a bigger move, or maybe its just him and his attitude, i really don't know?

He's a legend for that day, yet for all the importance of what he did for us, i just can't warm to him as much as i surely should. :confused:

J-C
14-04-2018, 12:33 PM
He's just walked into the Sheraton with 2 blokes, Lothian Rd entrance, sat in my cab on the rank.

pacoluna
14-04-2018, 12:37 PM
It's a strange one for me, he gave me my best day ever, my best moment in football ever, my best weekend in football ever.

He should be up there with Stanton O'rourke Cropley Brownlie and Schaedler as my all time heros, but he's not, and i can't really explain why?

Its maybe the way he never really wanted to be at Hibs, and we were just a vehicle for him to get a bigger move, or maybe its just him and his attitude, i really don't know?

He's a legend for that day, yet for all the importance of what he did for us, i just can't warm to him as much as i surely should. :confused:
A bit like Stubbs?

blackpoolhibs
14-04-2018, 12:43 PM
A bit like Stubbs?

No, Stokes only really came back to us twice, as we were the only real option for him at the time where he knew he'd get game time.

Stubbs came to us to get his first job as a manager, Stokes in my opinion was taking the easy option.

.Sean.
14-04-2018, 12:45 PM
Grass
😂😂😂😂 Aye good one, what about the other numerous folk on the post that have seen him out in town? He’s hardly making it a big secret he’s back or was he meant to be on the first flight to Greece Saturday morning 😂👍🏼

Smartie
14-04-2018, 12:51 PM

Every single one of those clubs knew what they were getting though - a hugely talented player who wouldn't be near them if he didn't have a few demons.

Anthony Stokes is a risky signing, and it's a wee while since that risk actually paid off for anyone, as I'm sure anyone signing him in future will be aware of.

Sauzee16
14-04-2018, 12:59 PM
Every single one of those clubs knew what they were getting though - a hugely talented player who wouldn't be near them if he didn't have a few demons.

Anthony Stokes is a risky signing, and it's a wee while since that risk actually paid off for anyone, as I'm sure anyone signing him in future will be aware of.

I completely agree although it paid off under 2 years ago.

CRAZYHIBBY
14-04-2018, 01:39 PM
Stokes is a legend.... don't care what he gets up to...i still think his dismissal was a bit harsh

The Baldmans Comb
14-04-2018, 01:45 PM
The Legend's deffo not missing. I met him in Le Monde last saturday night. ����������������

He was in Tiger Lilly the night before.

He is a Hibs legend and always will be and will be set up for life as he will access a very hefty pension at 35 as the clubs he has played for would have made decent provisions.

I quite enjoy reading about his post Hibs escapades and he should make the most of it as he is rapidly heading for the most difficult part of his life as a washed up man child with no real purpose in life.

NAE NOOKIE
14-04-2018, 02:26 PM
Blackburn didn’t take a punt on him, Blackburn offered him the highest signing on fee and he couldn’t cut it in the championship any longer. Probably blame Mowbray for that, not Stokes.

He also wasn’t our worst player this season by a long shot. He’s fell out with the manager and gone. He played a lot of games so hardly put injured wishing for time off or stealing a wage. He was still one of the best forwards in the league and players focussing on him left space for other players such as McGinn at Ibrox and Parkhead.

Well, that's not strictly accurate is it ..... Nobody knows if AS could cut it in the championship any more because he barely kicked a ball for Blackburn due to unspecified "off field issues" .... You can apportion blame to a manager for signing a player who turns out to be an on field dud, you cant in a situation where he cant play him because the guys head isn't right, which is what Blackburn were saying at the time .... I'm positive clubs ask players to reveal off field issues before committing hundreds of thousands of pounds to them, especially ones with a history like Anthony Stokes has, was AS totally honest with them? ..... I doubt it.

As for his last spell at Hibs, nobody was suggesting he was our worst player, not even on the many posts criticising his performances. The criticism was over the fact that he wasn't playing to his full potential ... that would have been acceptable because no player is 100% all the time, but what fans don't want to see is a player below par with attached stories about him being late for training and the manager dropping him from the team for breaches of discipline. That fans wont accept and rightly so ... many folk make sacrifices to find the money for their match tickets and in return the least they should be able to expect is 100% effort from people who as a result of that sacrifice can afford to spend the equivalent of the price of an adult season ticket on a night out.

I wonder if the fans of Apollon Smyrni are happy to see their hard earned swelling the coffers of George street's night spots instead of bringing results on the pitch.

Sauzee16
14-04-2018, 02:32 PM
Well, that's not strictly accurate is it ..... Nobody knows if AS could cut it in the championship any more because he barely kicked a ball for Blackburn due to unspecified "off field issues" .... You can apportion blame to a manager for signing a player who turns out to be an on field dud, you cant in a situation where he cant play him because the guys head isn't right, which is what Blackburn were saying at the time .... I'm positive clubs ask players to reveal off field issues before committing hundreds of thousands of pounds to them, especially ones with a history like Anthony Stokes has, was AS totally honest with them? ..... I doubt it.

As for his last spell at Hibs, nobody was suggesting he was our worst player, not even on the many posts criticising his performances. The criticism was over the fact that he wasn't playing to his full potential ... that would have been acceptable because no player is 100% all the time, but what fans don't want to see is a player below par with attached stories about him being late for training and the manager dropping him from the team for breaches of discipline. That fans wont accept and rightly so ... many folk make sacrifices to find the money for their match tickets and in return the least they should be able to expect is 100% effort from people who as a result of that sacrifice can afford to spend the equivalent of the price of an adult season ticket on a night out.

I wonder if the fans of Apollon Smyrni are happy to see their hard earned swelling the coffers of George street's night spots instead of bringing results on the pitch.

Prior to Blackburn signing him he was massively under performing at Celtic and didn’t exactly rip our championship to bits. He was a massive free transfer gamble Mowbray took.

For us Lennon took the gamble thinking he would sort him out. He didn’t and he got rightly punted but he was still one of our best players at times. Who knows what’s going on in his private life too.

Greek fans should be raging at their manager not Stokes. Due diligence would tell you this would happen.

snooky
14-04-2018, 02:53 PM
OMeGa, was that him Pi-eyed in the frony Rho? He Beta get back into the football Theta or he'll be oot the Gamma for good.

Jim44
14-04-2018, 03:31 PM
OMeGa, was that him Pi-eyed in the frony Rho? He Beta get back into the football Theta or he'll be oot the Gamma for good.

That’s all Greek to me.

Seveno
14-04-2018, 05:46 PM
I will always have a place in my near for Anthony Stokes for the way he was unplayable on the wonderful day on 21 May 2016. He achieved what Derek Riordan and Garry O’Connor failed to do despite a very similar off field attitude.

It is sad that he cannot find any discipline in his off field life but he will always be a hero to me.

Dashing Bob S
14-04-2018, 06:20 PM

This x 1,000,000,000

HUTCHYHIBBY
14-04-2018, 07:24 PM
he is rapidly heading for the most difficult part of his life as a washed up man child with no real purpose in life.

Its not as easy as some of us make it look! :-)

Haymaker
14-04-2018, 10:00 PM
Its not as easy as some of us make it look! :-)

:faf:

14-04-2018, 11:04 PM

Agree, he has made a few bad decisions, haven't we all? He did also make 3 decisions to join Hibs so his judgement can't be all bad.

Can we actually say he decided to leave us the 2nd time? His loan spell ended and Stubbs left so was there any prospect of him staying?

cabbageandribs1875
15-04-2018, 12:30 AM
He's just walked into the Sheraton with 2 blokes, Lothian Rd entrance, sat in my cab on the rank.

hope it's not petrie and lennon in disguise :devil:

Dashing Bob S
15-04-2018, 02:58 AM
If Stokes got up to stuff that made Fred West, Gary Glitter and Peter Sutcliffe look like Mother Theresa I’d hate him because I’m a Hibby not a Yam and certain standards are demanded. But those two goals at Hampden would make it difficult.