PDA

View Full Version : Exuberance Sunday

Captain Trips
13-04-2018, 10:38 AM
Remember when the old now deid Rangers were involved in helicopter Sunday at Easter Rd?

Time to pump them on Exuberance Sunday.

What else can we call giving Sevco a good skelping on a Sunday?

Carheenlea
13-04-2018, 11:16 AM
Hun Skelp Sunday

Diclonius
13-04-2018, 11:24 AM
I wasn't there myself, but didn't both sets of fans invade the pitch on helicopter Sunday too? They had won the league and we'd secured 3rd and Europe.

From what I've heard there wasn't a lot of bother and the fans mingled fairly well.

yonder1875
13-04-2018, 11:29 AM
I wasn't there myself, but didn't both sets of fans invade the pitch on helicopter Sunday too? They had won the league and we'd secured 3rd and Europe.

From what I've heard there wasn't a lot of bother and the fans mingled fairly well.

I was about 11 years on in the old East Stand and ran onto the park and stayed in the Famous Five half of the park but I can't remember any Rangers fans being on the park.

adhibs
13-04-2018, 11:30 AM

Fans were on the pitch on seperate ocassions if I remember correctly. Hibs going onnafter theyd been cleared off.

Green Man
13-04-2018, 11:30 AM
There were Rangers fans on the park that day, they broke the goal and one of them came running towards the East stand waving a union flag.

adhibs
13-04-2018, 11:32 AM
There were Rangers fans on the park that day, they broke the goal and one of them came running towards the East stand waving a union flag.

Was in the East too. All police efforts seemed to be aimed at keeping hibs fans in the stand, while the huns were allowed to run riot on the pitch.

WeeRussell
13-04-2018, 11:38 AM
I was about 11 years on in the old East Stand and ran onto the park and stayed in the Famous Five half of the park but I can't remember any Rangers fans being on the park.

The most definitely were. I actually don't recall the Hibs fans being on (maybe they were embracing players during the lap of honour?) but sounds like it was both sets on.

I definitely don't recall a mass hunt for all involved and a statement from Hibs.

Johnny_Leith
13-04-2018, 11:42 AM
Both sides invaded the pitch, remember it well.

Bostonhibby
13-04-2018, 11:43 AM
There were Rangers fans on the park that day, they broke the goal and one of them came running towards the East stand waving a union flag.Definitely happened but what we didn't appreciate at the time was that they were not in fact anything to do with the now defunct Glasgow rangers.

Many years later the real filth were outed as being Scottish cup FC and West of Scotland FC supporters.

Exposed for the nation in an exclusive by the daily record. Scotland's shame, all of the above.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Jamesie
13-04-2018, 12:17 PM
Was in the East too. All police efforts seemed to be aimed at keeping hibs fans in the stand, while the huns were allowed to run riot on the pitch.

Indeed - I don't recall any Hibs fans on the park - if there was it must have been no more than a handful. By contrast, Rangers fans were on the pitch in their hundreds and I recall that as well as the police and stewards putting a ring of steel around the Hibs stands, by the end of the episode there was a row of Police horses on the halfway line.

There was provocation of the highest order from the Rangers supporters - a large Union flag was laid out near the centre circle which a number of them proceeded to kiss while indicating to the Hibs fans that they should be bowing and paying respect to the flag. If Hibs fans had made it on to the pitch that day there would have been bloodshed. I went to the game with a girl I worked with at the time and it remains her one and only experience of a football match. It was the most poisonous atmosphere I had experienced at Easter Road since the "Mercer" Derby in 1989.

Geo_1875
13-04-2018, 12:19 PM

He's a right lad that Ivan Sproule.

HibeeHibernian4
13-04-2018, 12:44 PM
He's a right lad that Ivan Sproule.

:thumbsup:

Tom Hart RIP
13-04-2018, 12:54 PM
I was raging that day despite qualifying for Europe. When news came through that Celtic were getting beat, we had the chance to press for an equaliser which would have stopped them winning it but sat back and settled for 1-0 defeat.
Not pro Celtic but that would have been the perfect end to the season. I know that losing another goal could have affected our chances of qualifying but it would in
my opinion been worth the risk.
Also there was no injury time which no one seemed to pick up on.

pacorosssco
13-04-2018, 01:08 PM
Indeed - I don't recall any Hibs fans on the park - if there was it must have been no more than a handful. By contrast, Rangers fans were on the pitch in their hundreds and I recall that as well as the police and stewards putting a ring of steel around the Hibs stands, by the end of the episode there was a row of Police horses on the halfway line.

There was provocation of the highest order from the Rangers supporters - a large Union flag was laid out near the centre circle which a number of them proceeded to kiss while indicating to the Hibs fans that they should be bowing and paying respect to the flag. If Hibs fans had made it on to the pitch that day there would have been bloodshed. I went to the game with a girl I worked with at the time and it remains her one and only experience of a football match. It was the most poisonous atmosphere I had experienced at Easter Road since the "Mercer" Derby in 1989.

Correct the old east railings and drop to pitch stopped a full scale riot. If Hibs fans could have got on pitch quickly then it would have been mayhem. Not a peep was mentioned press

Gatecrasher
13-04-2018, 01:14 PM
I remember some of the Rangers fans climbing from the top tier to the bottom to get on the pitch. it was a boring game but between the hibs and rangers fans the afters made up for it.

Sauzee16
13-04-2018, 01:40 PM
I always thought we got on the pitch first. It was included in that DVD about Mowbray's first season in charge.

Topographic Hibby
13-04-2018, 01:46 PM
I always thought we got on the pitch first. It was included in that DVD about Mowbray's first season in charge.Is that the one where a young Sparky can be seen amongst the Hibs fans (in the stands, not the pitch, to be clear!!)

Sauzee16
13-04-2018, 02:35 PM
Is that the one where a young Sparky can be seen amongst the Hibs fans (in the stands, not the pitch, to be clear!!)

I'm not sure, would need to watch again. The players where in with the support when we went on the pitch though, might have even been the lap of honour

hibbysam
13-04-2018, 02:58 PM
I was raging that day despite qualifying for Europe. When news came through that Celtic were getting beat, we had the chance to press for an equaliser which would have stopped them winning it but sat back and settled for 1-0 defeat.
Not pro Celtic but that would have been the perfect end to the season. I know that losing another goal could have affected our chances of qualifying but it would in
my opinion been worth the risk.
Also there was no injury time which no one seemed to pick up on.

You would rather Hibs pressed for an equaliser that we had no need to get, and lose out on getting into Europe, just so Celtic could win the league? Celtic failed themselves, we look after Hibs.

NAE NOOKIE
13-04-2018, 03:13 PM
You would rather Hibs pressed for an equaliser that we had no need to get, and lose out on getting into Europe, just so Celtic could win the league? Celtic failed themselves, we look after Hibs.

Correct :agree:

Vini1875
13-04-2018, 03:19 PM
Both sets of fans on the pitch at different times definitely no mingling.

SideBurns
13-04-2018, 03:37 PM

Nothing to do with Celtic imo, everything to do with no wanting the Huns winning the league at ER. Totally took the shine off us qualifying for Europe for me. The game was played out as per West Germany v Austria '82 WC. We could at least have tried to equalise - Rangers weren't interested in crossing the half way line, we had nothing to lose.

Btw, I'm desperate for Hibs to win next Saturday too - no desire to see Celtic celebrating at the Holy Ground either.

JimBHibees
13-04-2018, 03:41 PM

Totally agree couldnt care who won the league as we should always protect our own interests.

hibbysam
13-04-2018, 04:09 PM
Nothing to do with Celtic imo, everything to do with no wanting the Huns winning the league at ER. Totally took the shine off us qualifying for Europe for me. The game was played out as per West Germany v Austria '82 WC. We could at least have tried to equalise - Rangers weren't interested in crossing the half way line, we had nothing to lose.

Btw, I'm desperate for Hibs to win next Saturday too - no desire to see Celtic celebrating at the Holy Ground either.

And risk us not qualifying for Europe? Who wins the league and where it a done is irrelevant to me and Hibs. Utterly mental.

lord bunberry
13-04-2018, 04:14 PM
I remember the Rangers fans applauding the hibs lap of honour, while they were waiting on the trophy getting to Easter Road. They were that delirious they would’ve applauded the pope in a Celtic top, it was a strange day.

Sauzee16
13-04-2018, 04:15 PM

We where a goal away from missing out on Europe. Would have been madness to go looking to win. I don’t care who wins the league out the old firm and meant little to me.

Sauzee16
13-04-2018, 04:16 PM
I remember the Rangers fans applauding the hibs lap of honour, while they were waiting on the trophy getting to Easter Road. They were that delirious they would’ve applauded the pope in a Celtic top, it was a strange day.

I left well before they got presented with the league trophy mind you. Think I was at Scottie’s by that time.

CraigHibee
13-04-2018, 04:41 PM
some of "you died in 2012" fans came onto the pitch, remember it well as it was a lovely warm day

Mikey
13-04-2018, 04:48 PM
some of "you died in 2012" fans came onto the pitch, remember it well as it was a lovely warm day

I can't even remember the last warm day :greengrin

givescotlandfreedom
13-04-2018, 05:21 PM

Yes they were even getting into sunshine on leith and played it at their after party at Ibrox that evening. We were sporting and congratulated then and played a couple of celebratory songs for them. Even more galling now we officially know they were cheating at the time.

jakedance
13-04-2018, 05:27 PM
Both sides invaded the pitch, remember it well.

Indeed. We politely took turns.

lord bunberry
13-04-2018, 05:34 PM
I left well before they got presented with the league trophy mind you. Think I was at Scottie’s by that time.
As did I. **** waiting around to see that lot celebrating.

renato
13-04-2018, 05:36 PM

lord bunberry
13-04-2018, 05:36 PM
Yes they were even getting into sunshine on leith and played it at their after party at Ibrox that evening. We were sporting and congratulated then and played a couple of celebratory songs for them. Even more galling now we officially know they were cheating at the time.
Definitely. I didn’t give much thought to it the time as we were all delighted to have qualified for Europe for the first time in a few years.

renato
13-04-2018, 05:37 PM
Hypocrisy FC.

Sauzee16
13-04-2018, 05:43 PM
As did I. **** waiting around to see that lot celebrating.

Aye, I was fine with the time wasting fine with the result okay with afterwards but as soon as the team left the pitch it was time to go. I’m certain there was pictures the next again day of fans in the West staying to watch it. Fk to that for a laugh when reality came back in they had just won the league and GJP was their manager.

As a hibs fan I genuinely only care about what our result means at a game and I get that much in a zone I’m not even aware of other implications. Aberdeen where ragdolling a hearts reserve side Potter took up and we just couldn’t concede. I was delighted when nobody was trying, going from the Blobby era to making Europe was great. I thought we had blown it getting horsed I think 3-0 in Aberdeen (nice sunny day too) and the beach ball Konre game 2 down at Motherwell (Caldwell Scored a peach of a free kick right after half time) so I couldn’t care less they won the league until our players left and I realised.

My_Wife_Camille
13-04-2018, 05:57 PM
Aye, I was fine with the time wasting fine with the result okay with afterwards but as soon as the team left the pitch it was time to go. I’m certain there was pictures the next again day of fans in the West staying to watch it. Fk to that for a laugh when reality came back in they had just won the league and GJP was their manager.

As a hibs fan I genuinely only care about what our result means at a game and I get that much in a zone I’m not even aware of other implications. Aberdeen where ragdolling a hearts reserve side Potter took up and we just couldn’t concede. I was delighted when nobody was trying, going from the Blobby era to making Europe was great. I thought we had blown it getting horsed I think 3-0 in Aberdeen (nice sunny day too) and the beach ball Konre game 2 down at Motherwell (Caldwell Scored a peach of a free kick right after half time) so I couldn’t care less they won the league until our players left and I realised.

That game in Abderdeen was about 11 or 12 games before the Huns game and Caldwell’s goal was only with about 10 mins to go!

Sorry to be pedantic but it always gives me a bit of a laugh when you see how memories can get so distorted over time, not least when it happens to me!

adhibs
13-04-2018, 06:05 PM

Looks like they made a definate effort they kept to the west stand side.

Sylar
13-04-2018, 08:58 PM
While I wholeheartedly agree that I wish to see us skelp them on the final day, I equally hope we give Celtc a good skelping next Saturday too - **** watching that mob winning the league at Easter Road.

Nameless
13-04-2018, 08:58 PM
I was on the pitch that day, as were the 2 guys I was with. When the Huns invaded the pitch, a small number from the East got on. It was no more than 10-15, but I distinctly remember watching the bald guy infront of me jump on the pitch, spark out a Hun, then climb back into the stand. If more had got on it would have been carnage, as the atmosphere in the East at full time was rather charged.

I had a mate in the West who filmed a copper giving the Hibs fans the "come ahead" gesture, then swinging wildly with his baton. I'm sure I read on here that numerous fans complained and the copper got pulled for it.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

SideBurns
14-04-2018, 08:21 AM
And risk us not qualifying for Europe? Who wins the league and where it a done is irrelevant to me and Hibs. Utterly mental.

We finished 2 goals in front of Aberdeen, and scored 20 more than them so had GD been the same we would have finished 3rd anyway. An equaliser for us would only have made things even more comfortable. Anyway, hopefully it was a situation we won't find ourselves in again at any point in the future so we never accept playing for a 1-0 defeat at Easter Road.

Sauzee16
14-04-2018, 08:26 AM
That game in Abderdeen was about 11 or 12 games before the Huns game and Caldwell’s goal was only with about 10 mins to go!

Sorry to be pedantic but it always gives me a bit of a laugh when you see how memories can get so distorted over time, not least when it happens to me!

Fair point and no need to apologise. It did seem that way and I was at both games. Incidentally I can’t actually remember Aberdeen beating us at ER the week after Motherwell I thought we played the huns right after Motherwell.

Sauzee16
14-04-2018, 08:29 AM
We finished 2 goals in front of Aberdeen, and scored 20 more than them so had GD been the same we would have finished 3rd anyway. An equaliser for us would only have made things even more comfortable. Anyway, hopefully it was a situation we won't find ourselves in again at any point in the future so we never accept playing for a 1-0 defeat at Easter Road.

Hearts where 3 down fairly early and had a reserve side out. Fk taking the risk considering the form we where in.

KWJ
14-04-2018, 09:59 AM
As well as the pitch invasions my memories of the game was the surreal of all 4 stands cheering at full time and the Rangers fans that got a box in the Famous Five. They started cheering at either their goal or Motherwell's and Hibs fans stood up amd blocked their view. Might have covered the window even but were told to uncover it.

Most bizarre game I've been to. Think that was the weekend I saw a very bizarre Eels with Strings gig with a Ukranian film as support.

TrinityHibs
14-04-2018, 10:19 AM
I was in the east. Thought the game was dire but the result worked out for us. Left before the trophy arrived for them but enjoyed the lap of honour by Hibs. We were on the park.....I have evidence :greengrin

WHAM
14-04-2018, 12:45 PM
I was on the pitch that day, as were the 2 guys I was with. When the Huns invaded the pitch, a small number from the East got on. It was no more than 10-15, but I distinctly remember watching the bald guy infront of me jump on the pitch, spark out a Hun, then climb back into the stand. If more had got on it would have been carnage, as the atmosphere in the East at full time was rather charged.

I had a mate in the West who filmed a copper giving the Hibs fans the "come ahead" gesture, then swinging wildly with his baton. I'm sure I read on here that numerous fans complained and the copper got pulled for it.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

That’s almost my memory of it as well.

Loads of huns jumped on at full time. Hibs fans getting kept off by the police and stewards, the East’ stand started getting a bit heated and if there had been a couple more Hibs fans get on at that point then carnage would have ensued.

I heard a couple of huns had got sparked out at the west stand side of the pitch before they were cleared off.

Then during the lap of honour, the Hibs fans came on the pitch in numbers and naturally after the players went down the tunnel turned towards the away stand. A bit of “goading” and come ahead etc. Line of police and Stewards keeping the Hibs fans back, and then the police horses were brought on to clear the pitch.

That was a great day to be fair. Lovely weather and qualifying for Europe. Only spoiled slightly by watching them winning the league in leith.

Moulin Yarns
14-04-2018, 03:12 PM
I was in the West Upper towards the famous five end and the guy next to me had Union Jack socks on. Dead give away. But he behaved.

Sammy7nil
14-04-2018, 10:42 PM

No it is not, it took the shine off for me too Hibs should never be playing for a defeat anywhere let alone at ER.

norhfc
14-04-2018, 11:26 PM
We can’t have anybody winning the league at ER, Lennon will have them up for this I,m sure. Praying we are in for 2nd come the last game against the the Huns, how good who that be to do them on the last day of the season to clinch 2nd.....exciting times :agree:

hibbysam
15-04-2018, 07:18 AM
No it is not, it took the shine off for me too Hibs should never be playing for a defeat anywhere let alone at ER.

Yes it is. If your more worried about people winning the league at Easter road rather than Hibernian being successful then I’d be fairly worried.

SideBurns
15-04-2018, 08:11 AM
Yes it is. If your more worried about people winning the league at Easter road rather than Hibernian being successful then I’d be fairly worried.

This is an argument which is impossible to win, as it simply boils down to how you felt at the time. I had pals who were just delighted we had qualified for Europe, and weren't bothered about anything else; for me, and others, the Huns celebrating winning the league at ER had the effect of overshadowing our achievement when the final whistle blew and so I was unable to feel 'exuberant'.

The annoying thing was losing to Aberdeen at home which was the day we could've settled matters, and then we would've had the luxury of playing the last game without pressure.

Anyway, here's hoping for an exciting end to this season which will be memorable for all the right reasons.

Captain Trips
15-04-2018, 08:13 AM
Neil Lennon has a very realistic chance of having Hibs come 2nd an absolutely amazing feat. If we do mot manage 2nd we have yet a very realistic chance of finishing in a Euro spot again an amazing feat.

Billy Whizz
15-04-2018, 08:31 AM
Just noticed it’s a 2.30pm ko, which is late for a Derby in Glasgow
Hope they all behave themselves

hibbysam
15-04-2018, 08:38 AM

Anything is possible now Billy after giving them the Hogmanay gig last season.

oneone73
15-04-2018, 08:40 AM

Just realised that Cammy Bell was on the bench for them on that Glorious Day in May. Has he ever been asked publicly about the Level 5/Record fake outrage? One for Cliff to get on record on Hibs TV?

hibbysam
15-04-2018, 08:40 AM
This is an argument which is impossible to win, as it simply boils down to how you felt at the time. I had pals who were just delighted we had qualified for Europe, and weren't bothered about anything else; for me, and others, the Huns celebrating winning the league at ER had the effect of overshadowing our achievement when the final whistle blew and so I was unable to feel 'exuberant'.

The annoying thing was losing to Aberdeen at home which was the day we could've settled matters, and then we would've had the luxury of playing the last game without pressure.

Anyway, here's hoping for an exciting end to this season which will be memorable for all the right reasons.

I suppose it comes down to what matters most to you, seeing Hibs successful or seeing another side fail.. Nothing would’ve overshadowed that achievement for me. I don’t see Hibs qualify for Europe enough to far about who wins the league or where they do it as that never has concerned me in my lifetime and probably won’t ever concern me.

hibsbollah
15-04-2018, 08:41 AM

Im in Glasgow today. Driving on the M8 this morning, at the Easterhouses junction there is a union jack flying on the horse sculpture and a big 'BJK' sign next to it. At the next flyover someone has draped a bedsheet painted with '1981 Slimmer of the Year, Bobby Sands'.

They really are ****s.

SteveHFC
15-04-2018, 09:24 AM
Im in Glasgow today. Driving on the M8 this morning, at the Easterhouses junction there is a union jack flying on the horse sculpture and a big 'BJK' sign next to it. At the next flyover someone has draped a bedsheet painted with '1981 Slimmer of the Year, Bobby Sands'.

They really are ****s.

Dad noticed that when he was through earlier this morning, flag still there but banner is away now

Jones28
15-04-2018, 09:45 AM

They really are ****s.

What an odious institution they are.

BJK - big jock knew?

Iggy Pope
15-04-2018, 09:53 AM
I was in the West Upper towards the famous five end and the guy next to me had Union Jack socks on. Dead give away. But he behaved.

To paraphrase Joe Strummer. "Like socks, like brain"

Sammy7nil
15-04-2018, 11:08 AM

Nothing to do with them winning the league it was about Hibs choosing to lose a game and for me that is not acceptable.

hibbysam
15-04-2018, 05:36 PM
Nothing to do with them winning the league it was about Hibs choosing to lose a game and for me that is not acceptable.

Even when it allows us to be successful? We didn’t go out and say ‘ah we’ll lose this game that’s fine’ , however when the messages were coming through it was clear 0-1 got us what we wanted, 1-1/2-1up didn’t give us any more of a benefit so why risk 0-2/0-3 and our place in Europe?

Sir David Gray
15-04-2018, 05:41 PM
What an odious institution they are.

BJK - big jock knew?

Yep.

renato
15-04-2018, 05:47 PM
Classy bunch. They’re bloody lucky to even be getting half the south, I’d cut it even further - we should never be turning away Hibs fans from ER.

hibsbollah
15-04-2018, 05:59 PM
Yep.

Is there any evidence for this claim or is it just horrible hunnery?

Sammy7nil
15-04-2018, 07:12 PM
Even when it allows us to be successful? We didn’t go out and say ‘ah we’ll lose this game that’s fine’ , however when the messages were coming through it was clear 0-1 got us what we wanted, 1-1/2-1up didn’t give us any more of a benefit so why risk 0-2/0-3 and our place in Europe?

We will have to agree to disagree but I don't watch Hibs to see them lose. If we try and lose that is fine but to roll over for whatever reason it is just not for me it does not sit well at all.

Aim Here
15-04-2018, 07:18 PM
We will have to agree to disagree but I don't watch Hibs to see them lose. If we try and lose that is fine but to roll over for whatever reason it is just not for me it does not sit well at all.

Hibs weren't 'playing to lose' though. The trouble is that the competition means there was two games going on - the 90 minutes against Rangers, and then the year-long league competition that might end up with a European slot. Hibs were playing to maximise their chances of a good league result, which just happened to mean that a 0-1 loss was acceptable, and safer than trying to equalize.

It's an issue with how these competitions are designed, and it's hard to concoct a suitable competition that doesn't throw up an anomaly like this - where losing an individual match is a 'good' result - every now and again (outside of straight-up knockout cup competitions). It only rarely happens in the current system, which is why we're talking about a ten-year-old match and not one from last month.

Sir David Gray
15-04-2018, 07:29 PM
Is there any evidence for this claim or is it just horrible hunnery?

There's numerous claims that have been made about him over the years but whether he did or didn't know, I would say it's pretty crass to bring up the issue of child abuse as a way of trying to get one over on your rivals.

Sammy7nil
15-04-2018, 07:46 PM
Hibs weren't 'playing to lose' though. The trouble is that the competition means there was two games going on - the 90 minutes against Rangers, and then the year-long league competition that might end up with a European slot. Hibs were playing to maximise their chances of a good league result, which just happened to mean that a 0-1 loss was acceptable, and safer than trying to equalize.

It's an issue with how these competitions are designed, and it's hard to concoct a suitable competition that doesn't throw up an anomaly like this - where losing an individual match is a 'good' result - every now and again (outside of straight-up knockout cup competitions). It only rarely happens in the current system, which is why we're talking about a ten-year-old match and not one from last month.

Hibs did not start out the game to lose but they definitely played to lose when they went a goal down. As I say we just have disagree on this one.