PDA

View Full Version : Splits in other leagues

Hibbyradge
12-04-2018, 04:16 PM
I keep reading people saying that we're the only country which splits it's league.

Up till now, I've tried to answer individuals and point out that this isn't the case. I'm tired of doing that now so I decided to make a separate thread.

In fact, in 2015, 15 European countries had splits. In terms of balanced fixtures, a further 10 leagues only had 3 rounds of fixtures - 2 home 1 away for half and vice versa for the rest.

Only 17 leagues played 1 home and 1 away with 9 countries playing 2 home, 2 away.

I haven't looked at other continents.

Go here to download the document and scroll to page 10 and 11.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/OfficialDocument/uefaorg/Finance/02/42/27/91/2422791_DOWNLOAD.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjD8OKXjrXaAhWhJ8AKHR0mBIEQFjACegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw3Q9N_ENIPYRW9anF4ruhKO

My_Wife_Camille
12-04-2018, 04:23 PM
Wrong. NO OTHER COUNTRY HAS A SPLIT FACT.

IGRIGI
12-04-2018, 04:25 PM
I don't find the split that much of an issue now that we are battling it out for 2nd :greengrin.

Hibbyradge
12-04-2018, 04:25 PM

What's a split fact?

Is it the same as a half truth? :wink:

1van Sprou7e
12-04-2018, 04:38 PM
Our split is actually pretty good and sensible when compared to some of the bizarre systems across Europe

I believe Denmark and Belgium are up there with the worst offenders

WhileTheChief..
12-04-2018, 04:53 PM
I like these kind of threads.

Much more informative than spouting hyperbole and stating it as fact :top marks

WhileTheChief..
12-04-2018, 04:55 PM

There are folk in countries all over Europe furiously typing away about how their league is a farce and a laughing stock across the world!

Frazerbob
12-04-2018, 05:22 PM
There are folk in countries all over Europe furiously typing away about how their league is a farce and a laughing stock across the world!

Do their leagues fix the fixtures to suit two teams also?

Hibbyradge
12-04-2018, 05:25 PM
Do their leagues fix the fixtures to suit two teams also?

Does ours?

blackpoolhibs
12-04-2018, 07:44 PM
Does ours?

Rantic have never had a 3 home 1 away scenario, its always 2 home 2 away against each other. I am not 100% sure but can we say that about every other club that makes the top 6? :confused:

Hibbyradge
12-04-2018, 07:53 PM
Rantic have never had a 3 home 1 away scenario, its always 2 home 2 away against each other. I am not 100% sure but can we say that about every other club that makes the top 6? :confused:

Neither have we against Hearts or Aberdeen or Rangers or Celtic.

Rangers have had 3 away and one home more than once. I'm not sure about Celtc.

blackpoolhibs
12-04-2018, 07:54 PM
Neither have we against Hearts or Aberdeen or Rangers or Celtic.

Rangers have had 3 away and one home more than once. I'm not sure about Celtc.

Is that right, i could have sworn we went to tynie 3 times one year? :confused:

Clerie Green
12-04-2018, 07:56 PM
It is not deemed politically correct to call them that ! :aok:

Hibbyradge
12-04-2018, 07:57 PM
Is that right, i could have sworn we went to tynie 3 times one year? :confused:

I don't remember that.

Unless it was something to do with the stands being built. :dunno:

Hibbyradge
12-04-2018, 08:30 PM
I've been checking. I can't find when we've ever missed out on a home game.

Sylar
12-04-2018, 08:52 PM
I don't absolutely hate the split, but I don't understand why they don't just pre-draw the fixtures for the split at the start of the season - e.g.,

Matchday 1: "Position 1 vs Position 3, Position 2 vs 4, 5 vs 6"
Matchday 2: "Position 1 vs 4, 2 vs 5, 3 vs 6"

etc

I know folk would argue that it could mean and imbalance in home vs away, but the current setup evidently doesn't protect against that either.

Hibbyradge
12-04-2018, 08:54 PM
I don't absolutely hate the split, but I don't understand why they don't just pre-draw the fixtures for the split at the start of the season - e.g.,

Matchday 1: "Position 1 vs Position 3, Position 2 vs 4, 5 vs 6"
Matchday 2: "Position 1 vs 4, 2 vs 5, 3 vs 6"

etc

I know folk would argue that it could mean and imbalance in home vs away, but the current setup evidently doesn't protect against that either.

You've answered your own question.

More than one team could miss out on more than one home game.

My_Wife_Camille
12-04-2018, 09:19 PM
I put this on another thread if it helps

10 of the 14 seasons we've been involved in a fixture that has seen us to play three times at the same venue. Only 4 times since 2000/01 have we had an equal split of home and away games against each team. Also interesting to note that we've had an extra home game against Rangers twice before so I'm not sure the paranoia and conspiracy theories are quite warranted.

2000/01
2001/02 - Dundee Utd away x3
2002/03 - Aberdeen home x3
2003/04
2004/05 - Motherwell away x3
2005/06 - Aberdeen away x3
2006/07 - Rangers home x3
2007/08 - Dundee Utd away x3
2008/09 - Rangers home x3
2009/10 - Motherwell away x3
2010/11
2011/12 - Inverness away x3
2012/13 - Dundee home x3
2013/14

Hibbyradge
12-04-2018, 09:32 PM
I put this on another thread if it helps

10 of the 14 seasons we've been involved in a fixture that has seen us to play three times at the same venue. Only 4 times since 2000/01 have we had an equal split of home and away games against each team. Also interesting to note that we've had an extra home game against Rangers twice before so I'm not sure the paranoia and conspiracy theories are quite warranted.

2000/01
2001/02 - Dundee Utd away x3
2002/03 - Aberdeen home x3
2003/04
2004/05 - Motherwell away x3
2005/06 - Aberdeen away x3
2006/07 - Rangers home x3
2007/08 - Dundee Utd away x3
2008/09 - Rangers home x3
2009/10 - Motherwell away x3
2010/11
2011/12 - Inverness away x3
2012/13 - Dundee home x3
2013/14

That's amazing. I had no idea that was the case.

There's certainly never been this week's level of angst before.

danhibees1875
12-04-2018, 09:37 PM
What's a split fact?

Is it the same as a half truth? :wink:

:faf:

So the split is a common occurrence and we've had our fair share of additional home games v rangers? Who'd have thunk'd it! :hmmm:

Hibbyradge
12-04-2018, 09:47 PM
:faf:

So the split is a common occurrence and we've had our fair share of additional home games v rangers? Who'd have thunk'd it! :hmmm:

We need to bookmark this thread for next year :wink:

Crazyhorse
12-04-2018, 10:16 PM
Our split is actually pretty good and sensible when compared to some of the bizarre systems across Europe

I believe Denmark and Belgium are up there with the worst offenders

Yeah the Belgian League has totally destroyed Belgian football...
I've lived there a couple of times over the past 30 years and love the football and it has got progressively better as they developed their model into the current version.
All IMHO of course.

jgl07
13-04-2018, 12:01 AM
Yeah the Belgian League has totally destroyed Belgian football...
I've lived there a couple of times over the past 30 years and love the football and it has got progressively better as they developed their model into the current version.
All IMHO of course.
There are some great Belgian players but few if any play in the Belgian League, which is still pretty gash. They have done bugger-all in European Competitions for years.

Tobias Funke
13-04-2018, 12:30 AM
Copied from another football site, this is the bizarre Dutch Eerste league setup;

The Eerste Divisie, also known as the Jupiler League, is the second tier of the Dutch football league system. While the top flight, the Eredivisie, uses the standard European format, the Eerste Divisie offers one of the most unusual league seasons in football.

All in all, 20 teams enter the season in August with the hopes of securing promotion to the top flight by finishing first in the league table. It may sound familiar, but when the regular season comes to an end in May, things get a whole lot trickier.The team that finishes in first place are guaranteed automatic promotion to the top flight. However, the teams that fail to clinch the top spot must compete in a knockout tournament for the chance to enter the Eredivisie in the following season. This would be fairly straightforward, if the tournament was played between the top four teams, like the play-off system used in the lower leagues of English football, for example. But it isn’t.
The top four sides do go through, but they aren’t alone. The tournament sees ten teams compete in total, with the top four joined by teams that are awarded places depending on how they do in particular sections of the seasons, known as "Periodes". These include:- The team with the best record after 9 matches.- The team with the best record between matches 10-18.- The team with the best record between matches 19-27.- The team with the best record between matches 28-38.
Most often this sees the best eight teams enter the tournament. However, that isn’t always the case. The 2013/14 season, for example, saw Sparta Rotterdam qualify despite finishing in 16th place, just four places off of the bottom. The final two places are taken up by the bottom two clubs in the Eredivisie, who have the chance to fight to keep their place in the top flight. The four teams that qualify via the regular season ‘periods’ enter the first round, with two teams qualifying for the second. They then face off against the other six teams, with the four winners entering two finals, which decide who takes the two promotion spots.
The format is fairly straightforward, yet the way in which teams are selected for the promotion tournament is somewhat odd, if not extremely pointless.

blackpoolhibs
13-04-2018, 06:21 AM
However the split is done, you should never have to play away against one of your competitors more times than you do at home.

It's unfair to you and also any club directly around you who might finish above you.

There is a reason why teams want to play at home rather than away.

Geo_1875
13-04-2018, 07:41 AM
Copied from another football site, this is the bizarre Dutch Eerste league setup;

The Eerste Divisie, also known as the Jupiler League, is the second tier of the Dutch football league system. While the top flight, the Eredivisie, uses the standard European format, the Eerste Divisie offers one of the most unusual league seasons in football.

All in all, 20 teams enter the season in August with the hopes of securing promotion to the top flight by finishing first in the league table. It may sound familiar, but when the regular season comes to an end in May, things get a whole lot trickier.The team that finishes in first place are guaranteed automatic promotion to the top flight. However, the teams that fail to clinch the top spot must compete in a knockout tournament for the chance to enter the Eredivisie in the following season. This would be fairly straightforward, if the tournament was played between the top four teams, like the play-off system used in the lower leagues of English football, for example. But it isn’t.
The top four sides do go through, but they aren’t alone. The tournament sees ten teams compete in total, with the top four joined by teams that are awarded places depending on how they do in particular sections of the seasons, known as "Periodes". These include:- The team with the best record after 9 matches.- The team with the best record between matches 10-18.- The team with the best record between matches 19-27.- The team with the best record between matches 28-38.
Most often this sees the best eight teams enter the tournament. However, that isn’t always the case. The 2013/14 season, for example, saw Sparta Rotterdam qualify despite finishing in 16th place, just four places off of the bottom. The final two places are taken up by the bottom two clubs in the Eredivisie, who have the chance to fight to keep their place in the top flight. The four teams that qualify via the regular season ‘periods’ enter the first round, with two teams qualifying for the second. They then face off against the other six teams, with the four winners entering two finals, which decide who takes the two promotion spots.
The format is fairly straightforward, yet the way in which teams are selected for the promotion tournament is somewhat odd, if not extremely pointless.

Those crazy Dutchmen, what are they like?

Hibbyradge
13-04-2018, 07:43 AM
However the split is done, you should never have to play away against one of your competitors more times than you do at home.

It's unfair to you and also any club directly around you who might finish above you.

There is a reason why teams want to play at home rather than away.

I agree, but as you've seen from my OP, 10 countries have systems which only have 3 rounds.

2 home, 1 away or vice versa. It's normal to them.

blackpoolhibs
13-04-2018, 07:45 AM
I agree, but as you've seen from my OP, 10 countries have systems which only have 3 rounds.

2 home, 1 away or vice versa. It's normal to them.

I know Dave, unfairness has become the norm.

I just think its wrong, and should not be the norm.

james62
13-04-2018, 07:49 AM
Those crazy Dutchmen, what are they like?

You have to suspect they had had a good afternoon in an Amsterdam coffee shop when they came up with that idea :greengrin

Geo_1875
13-04-2018, 07:51 AM
Question for the OP as you seem to have done the research (thank you).

Do any other European countries operate a split in their top division?

Hibbyradge
13-04-2018, 08:03 AM
Question for the OP as you seem to have done the research (thank you).

Do any other European countries operate a split in their top division?

See my OP and the link.

15 countries operate splits in their top leagues.

Spudster
13-04-2018, 09:39 AM
You have to suspect they had had a good afternoon in an Amsterdam coffee shop when they came up with that idea :greengrin
God know what the officials were on when they came up with this gem https://sports.vice.com/en_uk/article/z4djnj/the-golden-goal-remembering-footballs-failed-attempt-at-self-improvement
"For the rest of normal time Grenada went in search of the goal that would see them progress, although by now it didn't matter at which end of the pitch that goal was scored. So for three minutes Barbados frantically defended both halves of the pitch simultaneously as their opponents tried to fathom which end it would be best to attack." :faf:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbados_4%E2%80%932_Grenada_(1994_Caribbean_Cup_q ualification)

hibbydoug
13-04-2018, 09:46 AM

There is a reason why teams want to play at home rather than away.Ok. Here's my pet scheme for solving this:

Expand Championship to 12 teams.

Pre-split: Top 2 divisions play home and away (22 games each).

Split:. Top 8 in Premiership play each other home and away again. (14 games each, total for season 36 games, no home/away imbalance). They can keep points earned before the split, but maybe only points won against others in the top 8, to make things tighter.

Similar for bottom 8 in the Championship.

Bottom 4 Premiership join top 4 in Championship in Group Of Death. Home and away, starting with 0 points each. Top 4 at the end qualify for next season's Premiership.

Simples!

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk