PDA

View Full Version : Official Site: POST-SPLIT FIXTURES CONFIRMED

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Heisenberg
08-04-2018, 01:36 PM
We won’t play Celtic at Celtic Park .

Oh aye, forgot we’d be at home against them.

BlackSheep
08-04-2018, 02:41 PM
If we get Celtic first then they play Rangers second, potentially Rangers would have to decide on a guard of honour.... if Celtic beat us.

Am i correct??

leggeto
08-04-2018, 02:44 PM
If we get Celtic first then they play Rangers second, potentially Rangers would have to decide on a guard of honour.... if Celtic beat us.

Am i correct??

Maybe they would,but for me it should only be done on the last game

GreenCastle
08-04-2018, 02:52 PM
One thing is for certain I expect Hibs fans to buy all tickets available for the remaining 5 games.

leggeto
08-04-2018, 02:53 PM
One thing is for certain I expect Hibs fans to buy all tickets available for the remaining 5 games.

Especially the scramble for swinecaslte

jodjam
08-04-2018, 03:13 PM
Especially the scramble for swinecaslte

And add in the fact it may not be televised. Surely our games v Sevco, Dons and Killie have more riding on them

erin go bragh
08-04-2018, 03:18 PM
How do you know they will be at home next week?
I don’t Billy . I just know we’re not playing them at their bit :)

danhibees1875
08-04-2018, 03:24 PM
The same person said fixtures are decided by last seasons league placings, don't ask me how it's done but it's a shambles.

You'd think ok hibs have been to ibrox twice and the rangers to ER once, we'll send the rangers back to Easter road.

But that would of course be logical which the SFA are incapable of

It's not that simple though. All 5 clubs could apply the same logic and then no one would be going to Ibrox.

Stuart93
08-04-2018, 03:32 PM
It's not that simple though. All 5 clubs could apply the same logic and then no one would be going to Ibrox.

So the rangers have already played all of the top 6 twice at ibrox? Seems fair

danhibees1875
08-04-2018, 03:37 PM
So the rangers have already played all of the top 6 twice at ibrox? Seems fair

Yep.

Probably could have been mitagated with the assumption that Celtic, Aberdeen, Hearts, and us were likely to be in the top 6. Clearly just wasn't thought about, but a couple of teams will need to go to Ibrox 3 times.

Ozyhibby
08-04-2018, 03:56 PM
Yep.

Probably could have been mitagated with the assumption that Celtic, Aberdeen, Hearts, and us were likely to be in the top 6. Clearly just wasn't thought about, but a couple of teams will need to go to Ibrox 3 times.

It was well thought about. Sevco needed a good start to the season to keep the fans on board so they got all the ‘big’ teams at home in the first round of fixtures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billy Whizz
08-04-2018, 04:42 PM
Brendan Rodgers thoughts
He’s either spot on, or wants to win it against Rangers

Thoughts?

https://stv.tv/sport/football/1412011-rodgers-wants-chance-to-wrap-up-title-against-rangers/

Spike Mandela
08-04-2018, 05:16 PM
There simply is no way now for the SPFL to predict with certainty when to put this toxic fixture on.

In the unlikely case that Celtic keep losing games and Aberdeen or Rangers keep on winning it could still be a title decider.

WoreTheGreen
08-04-2018, 05:24 PM
He is spot on ot let’s tiptoe round the real issue

SirDavidsNapper
08-04-2018, 05:26 PM
The split is the most ridiculous thing introduced in Scottish football closely followed by the winter break. It's like they deliberately decided to make things awkward.

Danderhall Hibs
08-04-2018, 05:26 PM
Are they just going to release one fixture at a time in attempt at avoid Celtic winning it when Rangers are there?

hibbyfraelibby
08-04-2018, 05:55 PM
Given The Thes Aberdeen and us are in direct competition for possibly only two Euro spots then something the SPFL doesnt have should come into play...commomsense and fairness.

Both Aberdeen and Hibs should get the Thes at home and the final Ugly Sister Fest should be played at Ibroke. The rest of the fixtures should then be worked around those.

I know never going to happen but it is what should happen.

ancient hibee
08-04-2018, 05:57 PM
The same person said fixtures are decided by last seasons league placings, don't ask me how it's done but it's a shambles.

You'd think ok hibs have been to ibrox twice and the rangers to ER once, we'll send the rangers back to Easter road.

But that would of course be logical which the SFA are incapable of
Nothing to do with the SFA.

Babyshamble
08-04-2018, 06:31 PM
Said on sportsound earlier,Celtic wont face the Huns till the 3rd game.incase they slip up the first time.or the final game cos they will be at home to get the trophy.

Billy Whizz
08-04-2018, 06:32 PM
Said on sportsound earlier,Celtic wont face the Huns till the 3rd game.incase they slip up the first time.or the final game cos they will be at home to get the trophy.

I’ll take Derhun at ER a week on Saturday please, and give them only a 1,000 tickets, or 2 blocks, whatever is less

Keith_M
08-04-2018, 06:42 PM
Given we've played 3 games against the Orange Bigots, of which we've won two at Ibrox and lost one at ER, I don't see why anybody would be bothered about going there again.

BlackSheep
08-04-2018, 06:45 PM
Given we've played 3 games against the Orange Bigots, of which we've won two at Ibrox and lost one at ER, I don't see why anybody would be bothered about going there again.

Perhaps the difference in having 1000 hibs fans at Ibrox over having a full house at Easter Road...? Financially for the club there’s a huge difference.

stantonhibby
08-04-2018, 06:46 PM

The lost revenue from a full house at ER is a factor though

Danderhall Hibs
08-04-2018, 07:00 PM

Imagine if they slip up in the 1st 2 games? Only way to guarantee it is to give them Aberdeen.

rcarter1
08-04-2018, 07:09 PM
Are we due two or three home games? Can't find a league table that separates home and away. In this day and age...

Babyshamble
08-04-2018, 07:10 PM
Are we due two or three home games? Can't find a league table that separates home and away. In this day and age...

Lennon said last week 2 home games.against killie & Celtic.

Danderhall Hibs
08-04-2018, 07:10 PM

I think we’re due 3 but the leaks have been made telling us we’ll only get 2 so the outrage isn’t as high.

rcarter1
08-04-2018, 07:24 PM
I think we’re due 3 but the leaks have been made telling us we’ll only get 2 so the outrage isn’t as high.

Crazy system. Should they at least make an effort to make it fair? Split the cash from the last games to smooth it out?

Sir David Gray
08-04-2018, 07:25 PM

We should be getting 3 as we have currently played 16 home games and 17 away but we are likely to only get 2 games at home (Celtic and Kilmarnock) and 3 away (Rangers, Aberdeen and Hearts).

lord bunberry
08-04-2018, 07:27 PM

I’m ****ing outraged mate. The lost revenue could well run into a couple of hundred grand. That’s the difference between keeping one of either Mcginn, Mcgeough or Allan. That’s not including the potential lost revenue for finishing further down the league. Someone said that it’s about a half a million difference in prize money between second and fourth. Why should we be taking this lying down? We should be compensated heavily for what’s about to be forced upon us. It will almost certainly affect our competitiveness for next season. Hopefully we’ll overcome despite the odds being stacked against us, but that not certain. One thing is for sure is we should get Celtic second last game of the season when they’ve already won the league. It will be an absolute scandal if we have to play them first.

Clerie Green
08-04-2018, 07:31 PM
Five aways! :na na:

rcarter1
08-04-2018, 07:33 PM
We should be getting 3 as we have currently played 16 home games and 17 away but we are likely to only get 2 games at home (Celtic and Kilmarnock) and 3 away (Rangers, Aberdeen and Hearts).

Just found a home and away table. Would it be correct to say that hibs will be the only team affected? The rest of the teams will have 19 home and away?

superfurryhibby
08-04-2018, 07:36 PM
Cannae cope with the split talk other than to say it should be an equal spilt home and away. Anything else is bollox. Loss of revenue and sporting fair play. Total joke if it aint.

ekhibee
08-04-2018, 07:39 PM
I still don't understand why the post-split fixture list hasn't been released yet. Motherwell were beaten last week and Hearts didn't lose, surely that meant there couldn't be any changes to the top or bottom 6? Hamilton are confirmed as bottom 6, don't see why there's a holdup. I must be missing something....:confused:

Onion
08-04-2018, 07:40 PM

Because the law of averages and history shows that no Hibs team has EVER gone to Ibrox 3 times in a season and won every game.

Danderhall Hibs
08-04-2018, 07:44 PM
I still don't understand why the post-split fixture list hasn't been released yet. Motherwell were beaten last week and Hearts didn't lose, surely that meant there couldn't be any changes to the top or bottom 6? Hamilton are confirmed as bottom 6, don't see why there's a holdup. I must be missing something....:confused:

They’re trying to work out the best week to let Rangers play Celtic. It needs to be on a week when Celtic can’t win the league or have already won it.

rcarter1
08-04-2018, 07:46 PM
Because the law of averages and history shows that no Hibs team has EVER gone to Ibrox 3 times in a season and won every game.

Babyshamble
08-04-2018, 07:50 PM

The beaks are trying to avoid a scenario when Celtic win the league against the Huns.

sundo1875
08-04-2018, 07:50 PM

Never won 3 times at Ibrox in 2016

Spike Mandela
08-04-2018, 07:51 PM
Apart from losing a home fixture the difference between finishing 2nd and 4th alone is over £500k.

rcarter1
08-04-2018, 07:53 PM
Never won 3 times at Ibrox in 2016

We changed history however. If we go to ibrox again and win it would be some achievement.

The Spaceman
08-04-2018, 07:57 PM
I do hope the SPFL take real heart and stock from the fact that the EPL allowed the Manchester Derby to go ahead with the threat of Manchester City winning the title against their bitter rivals Manchester United? Seeing as there is apparently no issue with the Old Firm in the eyes of the SPFL/SFA I see absolutely no reason why our fixture list should be influenced by this one fixture? :confused:

Billy Whizz
08-04-2018, 07:58 PM
The beaks are trying to avoid a scenario when Celtic win the league against the Huns.

And the TV stations will be fighting to get it

Onion
08-04-2018, 07:58 PM
Crazy system. Should they at least make an effort to make it fair? Split the cash from the last games to smooth it out?

:agree: SPFL should have been forced to come up with a range of options to soften or share the financial burden so those clubs disadvantaged by the stupid split system are not completely shafted. But that would be expecting the incompetents to do something worthwhile and creative.

Sir David Gray
08-04-2018, 07:59 PM
Just found a home and away table. Would it be correct to say that hibs will be the only team affected? The rest of the teams will have 19 home and away?

Well one team will be affected (we still don't know for sure that it will be us). But yes one side will play 18 home games and 20 games away from home and the other 5 teams in the top 6 will have an even split of 19 home and 19 away games.

B.H.F.C
08-04-2018, 08:01 PM
And the TV stations will be fighting to get it

And the polis will be saying no chance. Can’t be asking them to do their job.

bingo70
08-04-2018, 08:07 PM
What will be will be.

Our club will have been involved in the decision to introduce the split and would have been aware of the potential drawbacks. We started the season knowing this could be a possibility so no point worrying too much about it now.

I like the concept of the split but imo it needs tweaked to avoid this kind of situation, nothings going to happen this season though so don’t see the point in getting too angry about it.

crash
08-04-2018, 08:19 PM
What will be will be.

Our club will have been involved in the decision to introduce the split and would have been aware of the potential drawbacks. We started the season knowing this could be a possibility so no point worrying too much about it now.

I like the concept of the split but imo it needs tweaked to avoid this kind of situation, nothings going to happen this season though so don’t see the point in getting too angry about it.

No, to me that is a doormat attitude, and one that the club/Lennon is trying to change. Somebody is going to get 18 homes and 20 aways, shows why Scottish League is a joke in world football.
If we are that club then then we should use that as motivation, similar to the "siege mentality" used by Alex Ferguson which proved successful over the years.

Billy Whizz
08-04-2018, 08:28 PM
What will be will be.

Bingo, are you going to chip in and pay myself and my daughter’s £30 each, ticket money to to Ibrox, plus travel costs, when I should be getting a home game as part of my season ticket purchase

berwickhibee
08-04-2018, 08:38 PM
Bingo, are you going to chip in and pay myself and my daughter’s £30 each, ticket money to to Ibrox, plus travel costs, when I should be getting a home game as part of my season ticket purchase

Spot on. Season ticket holders pay for 19 games.

bingo70
08-04-2018, 08:41 PM

No, will getting angry about it make it cheaper though?

Squirrel 1875
08-04-2018, 08:50 PM
Anyone know when fixtures are announced?

sundo1875
08-04-2018, 08:53 PM

Nobody knows

hibee_girl
08-04-2018, 08:54 PM

The SPFL said ‘early next week’ last Wednesday so fingers crossed for tomorrow 🤞🏻

Sir David Gray
08-04-2018, 09:16 PM
Assuming it's us who are affected, the club and fans really are being shafted in so many different ways here.

Guaranteed gate money from a 20000 sellout lost, guaranteed sold out hospitality packages lost, away season ticket holders having to shell out for another unexpected category A fixture plus associated travel costs, home season ticket holders losing out on an expected category A fixture which devalues the cost of the season ticket.

I know Hibs will have voted for this league structure but this is a disgrace in every possible way you look at it and really should not be allowed to happen in a professional league set up.

jgl07
08-04-2018, 09:17 PM
Will they not have to send them to get approved by Brendan Rodgers and Graeme Murty first?
Only after the Grand Orange Lodge and the Knights of St Columba have had their say?

Pescarese
08-04-2018, 09:29 PM
Well one team will be affected (we still don't know for sure that it will be us). But yes one side will play 18 home games and 20 games away from home and the other 5 teams in the top 6 will have an even split of 19 home and 19 away games.
Correct. And the side affected should be the side that is currently sixth, not the side that had the lowest league position last season. Who is that sixth side? The one that has already been able to move some of their home fixtures to a bigger stadium.

Sir David Gray
08-04-2018, 09:32 PM
Correct. And the side affected should be the side that is currently sixth, not the side that had the lowest league position last season. Who is that sixth side? The one that has already been able to move some of their home fixtures to a bigger stadium.

The one that has already benefitted from a "home" game against Rangers which attracted more than 32,000 fans.

Eyrie
08-04-2018, 10:28 PM

And that is also the team that would not be put at a competitive disadvantage by a third trip to Ibrox because their league position is very unlikely to change.

Whereas we are directly competing with Sevco (and Aberdeen) for second place.

jodjam
08-04-2018, 10:57 PM

Seriously? To me its the sporting and personal disadvantage this causes. Taking the financial side. I buy 3 season tickets. If 18 at home I’m 3 games light. Buying 3 tickets for ibrox will cost approx £100. Roughly 25% of one ST for next season. The fans are the last to be considered.

Ozyhibby
08-04-2018, 11:05 PM
I like the split. I think it’s great that all the top 6 are now playing each other to complete the league.
As usual with Scottish football though, it’s the lack of transparency that results in a lack of trust in the authorities. There should be a set formula that for who plays who that everyone knows about at the start of the season.

Diclonius
08-04-2018, 11:28 PM
THE SFA HAVE TODAY announced their latest radical shake-up of the Scottish game, in another bid to breathe life into the SPFL. Instead of publishing all five post-split fixtures immediately, fans will be kept guessing with a week-by-week reveal of each round's games. The first match-ups - due to be played a week on Saturday - see Celtic host Aberdeen, Hearts take on Kilmarnock and Hibs travel to Ibrox to play Rangers.

When pressed, Neil Doncaster refused to comment on whether Police Scotland were behind the plans, and also remained tight lipped on rumours that all subsequent fixtures will be released when Celtic win the league. Bizarrely, this piecemeal revealing of ties is only planned for the top half of the Premiership, with all five fixtures for the bottom six clubs being announced up front as usual.

The Leith Dutch
09-04-2018, 06:57 AM
THE SFA HAVE TODAY announced their latest radical shake-up of the Scottish game, in another bid to breathe life into the SPFL. Instead of publishing all five post-split fixtures immediately, fans will be kept guessing with a week-by-week reveal of each round's games. The first match-ups - due to be played a week on Saturday - see Celtic host Aberdeen, Hearts take on Kilmarnock and Hibs travel to Ibrox to play Rangers.

When pressed, Neil Doncaster refused to comment on whether Police Scotland were behind the plans, and also remained tight lipped on rumours that all subsequent fixtures will be released when Celtic win the league. Bizarrely, this piecemeal revealing of ties is only planned for the top half of the Premiership, with all five fixtures for the bottom six clubs being announced up front as usual.

:greengrin

Btw - the fact that I'm only hoping this is a joke tells you all you need about my faith in the Scottish footballing authorities.

Argylehibby
09-04-2018, 07:16 AM
Wasn't it supposed to be a rule that pre split you played one of the old firm twice at home and the other once guarenteeing every club 3 home games between them? If so that's not happened this year

Forza Fred
09-04-2018, 07:18 AM
I like the split. I think it’s great that all the top 6 are now playing each other to complete the league.
As usual with Scottish football though, it’s the lack of transparency that results in a lack of trust in the authorities. There should be a set formula that for who plays who that everyone knows about at the start of the season.

Quite why they didn't do this from day one, is beyond me.

The Leith Dutch
09-04-2018, 07:40 AM
When you boil it down to fairness - which is precisely what they won't do - Rangers should be the ones to suffer as they're the ones who have already benefited by having 3 home games against the other 5 teams in the top half. They should therefore have the least beneficial games as their two home games (hearts and killie)

The following fixtures should be guaranteed:

Hibs should be home to Sevco and away to Aberdeen
Sevco should be away to both Hibs and Aberdeen
Aberdeen should be home to both Hibs and Sevco

Difficult for Killie unless they lose their game in hand.

What's really annoying with all of this is that what could be a massively exciting race for 2nd/Europe is likely to have a slightly sour taste as some of the contenders are going to get shafted fixture wise.

SouthMoroccoStu
09-04-2018, 07:50 AM

Genuinely don't know if this is a joke or not.... :greengrin

Billy Whizz
09-04-2018, 07:56 AM
Genuinely don't know if this is a joke or not.... :greengrin

Yeah it’s a joke, but probably not that far wide of the mark😄

Bill Milne
09-04-2018, 08:01 AM
Sky Sports said earlier this morning that fixtures would be announced later today.

Billy Whizz
09-04-2018, 08:11 AM
Sky Sports said earlier this morning that fixtures would be announced later today.

That’s great
I’m also hoping when they are announced, TV game will have been sorted as well
Don’t want them announced with the saying, TV games to be confirmed

Diclonius
09-04-2018, 08:23 AM
That’s great
I’m also hoping when they are announced, TV game will have been sorted as well
Don’t want them announced with the saying, TV games to be confirmed

If TV games haven't been confirmed then the whole thing is a complete waste of time.

Billy Whizz
09-04-2018, 08:25 AM
If TV games haven't been confirmed then the whole thing is a complete waste of time.

I’m sure they will be....
Expecting Thursday and Friday night games to boot, as well as all the last games being played on the Sunday, as normal

DH1875
09-04-2018, 08:28 AM
It's a no brainer. Hearts should be the team going to Ibrox for the 3rd time.

Hibbyradge
09-04-2018, 08:43 AM
As far as I can see, the post split fixtures have always been announced after the first phase is finished.

Billy Whizz
09-04-2018, 08:45 AM
As far as I can see, the post split fixtures have always been announced after the first phase is finished.

Which means we’ll have to wait until next Saturday night, after Hamilton v Killie😬

BoomtownHibees
09-04-2018, 08:46 AM
The Rangers will also play Celtc after the league has been won whilst other teams need to play them when they are still going for the title.

Seems fair

Hibbyradge
09-04-2018, 08:49 AM
Which means we’ll have to wait until next Saturday night, after Hamilton v Killie😬

Yes, that's an exception, but looking back at previous couple of seasons, the fixtures were announced around the 2nd week in April.

danhibees1875
09-04-2018, 08:56 AM
The Rangers will also play Celtc after the league has been won whilst other teams need to play them when they are still going for the title.

Seems fair

And we all know how much Celtic are likely to lie down to Rangers in this meaningless fixture. :agree:

The Leith Dutch
09-04-2018, 09:05 AM

Seems fair

Of all the nonsense this is the part that concerns me least.
Almost unimaginable for Celtic not to field a full strength side with the intention of stuffing Sevco.
Can't see them having any advantage out of that at all.

In terms of the other fixtures for Celtic I actually think we benefit and are likely to get them after it's won.

I'd put good money on Celtic's fixtures being as follows:
GW1 - Killie (H)
GW2 - Puddle Drinkers (A)
GW3 - Hibs (A)
GW4 - Rangers (H)
GW5 - Aberdeen (H)

Best chances to win the league in the first two gameweeks, home game not against the hun to finish.
Only real question is whether us or Rangers get them third.

danhibees1875
09-04-2018, 09:24 AM
Almost unimaginable for Celtic not to field a full strength side with the intention of stuffing Sevco.

In terms of the other fixtures for Celtic I actually think we benefit and are likely to get them after it's won.

GW1 - Killie (H)
GW3 - Hibs (A)
GW4 - Rangers (H)
GW5 - Aberdeen (H)

Best chances to win the league in the first two gameweeks, home game not against the hun to finish.

GW4 is midweek isn't it? I would imagine they'd put the OF on the weekend. So maybe swap 3 and 4 around. Which, as you say, would be pretty much ideal way for it to go for us. Thump Killie to win the league, have an eye off the ball in the game that doesn't matter, thump Rangers, be tired for Hibs, then end on a high.

HibeeMackenzie
09-04-2018, 09:26 AM
I’d imagine they’ll put the bigot brothers on the second game round
1st Celtic can win the league
3rd bank holiday weekend
4th midweek
5tg trophy day

hibee_girl
09-04-2018, 09:26 AM
Alan Burrows from Motherwell just posted this on Twitter:

For those asking about post-split fixtures. The SPFL have told us preparation of the schedule is nearing completion. Final discussions are underway with broadcasters and the Police regarding live television selections, with full confirmation expected within the next 48 hours.

Jumbo
09-04-2018, 09:27 AM

GW1 - Killie (H)
GW3 - Hibs (A)
GW4 - Rangers (H)
GW5 - Aberdeen (H)

Rangers won’t get them 4th as that’s a midweek date !

The Leith Dutch
09-04-2018, 09:34 AM
Rangers won’t get them 4th as that’s a midweek date !

Which would suggest us getting them 4th then as a previous poster suggested.
That'd suit me fine :)

I think it pretty much has to be - can't be first as Celtic can win the title, can't be last as Celtic can't celebrate the title, can't be 4th as that's midweek. I don't see them putting it second just in case Celtic slip up first game.

Oscar T Grouch
09-04-2018, 09:55 AM

For those asking about post-split fixtures. The SPFL have told us preparation of the schedule is nearing completion. Final discussions are underway with broadcasters and the Police regarding live television selections, with full confirmation expected within the next 48 hours.

Oh great, so we could all be waiting until Wednesday for them to be released? At least someone from Motherwell is updating the country, it's not like the authorities should be doing that :greengrin

Diclonius
09-04-2018, 09:56 AM

48 hours? 48 ****ing hours?? They've had a WEEK to prepare for all possible scenarios and we still have to wait another two ****ing days? What a total joke.

Hibbyradge
09-04-2018, 10:01 AM
48 hours? 48 ****ing hours?? They've had a WEEK to prepare for all possible scenarios and we still have to wait another two ****ing days? What a total joke.

I'm sure that Sky, BT and the police would love to spend time discussing hypothetical possibilities.

Oscar T Grouch
09-04-2018, 10:06 AM
I'm sure that Sky, BT and the police would love to spend time discussing hypothetical possibilities.

No not hypothetical possibilities, they've know who is in the top 6 since last week. They could have been discussing the possible fixtures since then.

Danderhall Hibs
09-04-2018, 10:09 AM

They’ve had since last Tuesday to discuss non hypotheticals and for a few weeks prior to that the only hypothetical was is it Motherwell or Hearts that are team 6.

I’m pretty sure they’ve been quicker off the mark than this in the past.

Hibbyradge
09-04-2018, 10:13 AM
They’ve had since last Tuesday to discuss non hypotheticals and for a few weeks prior to that the only hypothetical was is it Motherwell or Hearts that are team 6.

I had a look and for the last 3 years, the announcement has been made around the second week in April.

Danderhall Hibs
09-04-2018, 10:15 AM
I had a look and for the last 3 years, the announcement has been made around the second week in April.

When we’ve been in the league it felt like they released the fixtures as soon as they could. In this case it could’ve been done on Wednesday last week.

Maybe they always delay it for no reason though.

The Leith Dutch
09-04-2018, 10:18 AM
No not hypothetical possibilities, they've know who is in the top 6 since last week. They could have been discussing the possible fixtures since then.

You're not taking into account the fact that some of the ways the old firm have to be satisfied by whatever the fixture list is may contradict other ways in which the old firm have to be satisfied by whatever the fixture list is.

Keeping all the ignorant bigots happy isn't as straightforward as you'd think.

Honestly, anyone would think that you just didn't care about Scottish football "needing" a successful Celtic and Rangers.....

GreenCastle
09-04-2018, 10:20 AM
This is Scotland.

They can’t make a cup draw without making a mess of it.

Plus they pander to the Old Firm which is corrupt on its own.

People moan every year about the split and fixture release date and I agree it’s a joke but our game is run my muppets so not quite sure what people expected.

Doesn’t mean to say it’s right and fully agree it’s a nightmare for planning.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
09-04-2018, 10:23 AM

Im sure i remember them being released pretty much on the final whistle of the last games befre the split, but maybe im wrong?!

GreenCastle
09-04-2018, 10:26 AM
The other idea I like is start of season saying...

2nd plays 3rd on ...

4th plays 1st on..

The only stopping that is TV and Police with clashes of certain teams but surely that could be changed ?

Would make it more transparent and fair and would get away from this away to huns 3 times nonsense

Diclonius
09-04-2018, 10:29 AM

2nd plays 3rd on ...

4th plays 1st on..

The only stopping that is TV and Police with clashes of certain teams but surely that could be changed ?

Would make it more transparent and fair and would get away from this away to huns 3 times nonsense

You'd still end up with an imbalance of home/away fixtures and there'd also be the problem of Celtic/Rangers or us/them playing at home on the same day.

Sauzee16
09-04-2018, 10:38 AM
When we’ve been in the league it felt like they released the fixtures as soon as they could. In this case it could’ve been done on Wednesday last week.

Maybe they always delay it for no reason though.

They delay it these days so Celtic can’t win the league at an old firm derby. Prior to huns going tits up the title race was alway close so the old firm match would be announced as the first game.

Danderhall Hibs
09-04-2018, 10:39 AM
Im sure i remember them being released pretty much on the final whistle of the last games befre the split, but maybe im wrong?!

That’s my recollection as well but that would mean they had been working on hypotheticals?

Geo_1875
09-04-2018, 11:03 AM

2nd plays 3rd on ...

4th plays 1st on..

You'd still end up with an imbalance of home/away fixtures and there'd also be the problem of Celtic/Rangers or us/them playing at home on the same day.

Or do what they do in every other league (including our Championship and DIvs 1 & 2) and announce the fixtures at the beginning of the season without the stupid split.

Danderhall Hibs
09-04-2018, 11:07 AM
Or do what they do in every other league (including our Championship and DIvs 1 & 2) and announce the fixtures at the beginning of the season without the stupid split.

That would mean a 44 game season?

Gmack7
09-04-2018, 11:27 AM
That would mean a 44 game season?

they that amount in the championship and league 1 in England I think. scrap the winter break and I'm sure we could fit the additional games in

SRHibs
09-04-2018, 11:31 AM
they that amount in the championship and league 1 in England I think. scrap the winter break and I'm sure we could fit the additional games in

There are no non-domestic fixtures in the championship and league 1 though.

Captain Trips
09-04-2018, 11:38 AM
The split is a pile of pish to be honest. If you take how many home or away games you play out of it and fairness in season ticketing, the only teams we play 4 times are the ones in our part of split.

We should therefore play them at whatever venue makes it 2 home 2 away. When that split was first done and teams were playing 3 times at one venue and once at another it should have been scrapped.

Danderhall Hibs
09-04-2018, 11:40 AM

True - 46 in those leagues I think.

Would never get Celtic to sign up for it though.

Seveno
09-04-2018, 11:40 AM
At least when they announce them it will be the actual dates and not subsequently changed because of some being televised.

BoomtownHibees
09-04-2018, 11:53 AM
And we all know how much Celtic are likely to lie down to Rangers in this meaningless fixture. :agree:

They may not “lie down” but think I’d prefer them still going for the league when they play them

Diclonius
09-04-2018, 11:55 AM
46 hours to go..

Sauzee16
09-04-2018, 12:22 PM
The split is a pile of pish to be honest. If you take how many home or away games you play out of it and fairness in season ticketing, the only teams we play 4 times are the ones in our part of split.

We should therefore play them at whatever venue makes it 2 home 2 away. When that split was first done and teams were playing 3 times at one venue and once at another it should have been scrapped.

No it’s not. All the best sides battling it out at the top, 4 could go down all playing against each other.

What’s not to like exactly?

jgl07
09-04-2018, 12:42 PM

It can’t be done.

One team will have to have 18 home and 20 away for starters.

The trick to to ensure that teams actually having tithing to win are not adversely affected. Celtic have (still) the League title to win. Sevco, Aberdeen, Hibs and Killie are fighting it out for three (or four if Motherwell do not win the Cup) Europa League places.

That leaves Hearts. Send them to Ibrox and the rest falls into place.

Ozyhibby
09-04-2018, 12:45 PM
It can’t be done.

The trick to to ensure that teams actually having tithing to win are not adversely affected. Celtic have (still) the League title to win. Sevco, Aberdeen, Hibs and Killie are fighting it out for three (or four if Motherwell do not win the Cup) Europa League places.

It does and with all the help everyone has given the yams this year with their fixtures they could have no complaints.

Frazerbob
09-04-2018, 12:53 PM
If the split is such a great idea, why don’t any other countries do it? Are we really such massive pioneers and that ahead of the game here?

Ozyhibby
09-04-2018, 12:55 PM
If the split is such a great idea, why don’t any other countries do it? Are we really such massive pioneers and that ahead of the game here?

The a-league in Oz has a split.
https://www.a-league.com.au/competition-rules
So does the MLS in America.
And if you want really complicated have a look at the Jupiler league in Belgium.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgian_First_Division_A

bod
09-04-2018, 12:56 PM
At least when they announce them it will be the actual dates and not subsequently changed because of some being televised.

That’s the good part of the delay

Geo_1875
09-04-2018, 12:57 PM
It can’t be done.

There shouldn't need to be a trick.

No other league needs a trick to work out their fixtures.

Geo_1875
09-04-2018, 01:00 PM

They have a knock-out competition to decide the champions after the league finishes. Good luck getting Celtc and The Rangers to agree to that one.

Crazyhorse
09-04-2018, 01:50 PM
And if you want really complicated have a look at the Jupiler league in Belgium.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgian_First_Division_A

Having lived in Belgium I have to say I really like their system. A 16 team league which retains the interest of most teams right to the end of the season. But what do I know it's not like Belgium produces any top players or anything...

Captain Trips
09-04-2018, 02:33 PM
It can’t be done.

It therefore should not be done then. The split is a total joke. If you are not playing teams equally at venues it simply is not what a league needs to be.

Hibbyradge
09-04-2018, 03:19 PM
There shouldn't need to be a trick.

No other league needs a trick to work out their fixtures.

The Irish and Slovakian leagues are exactly the same as ours. They need tricks.

It's also a 12 team league in Hungary, but they only play each other 3 times. That's quite a trick.

There are more if you look for them.

MagicSwirlingShip
09-04-2018, 03:28 PM
What's the hold up here. Useless shower!

Ardenttwo
09-04-2018, 03:40 PM
What's the hold up here. Useless shower!

When exactly will we know who and when we play.

jodjam
09-04-2018, 03:47 PM
It does and with all the help everyone has given the yams this year with their fixtures they could have no complaints.

Excellent point

cabbageandribs1875
09-04-2018, 03:51 PM
When exactly will we know who and when we play.

whenever the two glasgow clubs make up their minds

Cardinal G
09-04-2018, 03:59 PM
Sky news report fixtures to be released Tuesday, didn't state which Tuesday mind

Hibee Mac
09-04-2018, 04:00 PM
This has become an absolute farce.

SteveHFC
09-04-2018, 04:05 PM
Just get the fixtures out.

green with envy
09-04-2018, 04:08 PM
This seems the logical outcome.... Scroll down for more info.

https://splstats.wordpress.com/2018/04/04/post-split-fixtures-2017-18/

murray26
09-04-2018, 04:11 PM
Who is personally responsible for this..? Turning into a shambles

Ozyhibby
09-04-2018, 04:27 PM
It’s hard to think of a worse run sport than football in Scotland.
The whole lot of them need cleared out.

Not In The Know
09-04-2018, 04:33 PM

his conclusion seems the best option for us

Billy Whizz
09-04-2018, 04:41 PM

Is this not from last week or so?

MacGruber
09-04-2018, 04:42 PM

Makes sense. Hearts are irrelevant also rans making up the numbers so from a sporting point of view.
From a cash point of view they would lose a home gate but have already benefited from profiteering at Murrayfield and the ridiculous lee-way afforded them over the stand fiasco that put other clubs out.

You can throw in the fact they shame faced cheated the rest of scottish football for years before they were caught out

I say all that objectively ;)

Curried
09-04-2018, 04:52 PM
No it’s not. All the best sides battling it out at the top, 4 could go down all playing against each other.

What’s not to like exactly?
Nothing, except for the fact that you could get the same scenario with a larger league and no spit!

LancsHibs
09-04-2018, 04:54 PM
Sky news report fixtures to be released Tuesday, didn't state which Tuesday mind

Why wait for Tuesday?? Absolute joke. The blazers in charge are a buch of clowns

weecounty hibby
09-04-2018, 05:22 PM
I’ve already missed four home league games and when I buy my ST I expect that to happen. My wife is usually pretty amenable around attendance when she knows when we are playing. At the moment arrangements are being made for various other activities and I can’t honestly tell her when we play so I may end up missing a further two games. The last two down to the incompetence and kowtowing uselessness of the people who are meant to be running the game and attracting punters to games. They make the local amateur bowls club look like ****ing NASA. I hate the SFA and SPFL. ****wits!!

ancient hibee
09-04-2018, 06:02 PM
The Daily Mail had a story a week ago that in the early days of the split the post split fixtures were arranged so that the 6th team and the 7th team got any raw deal going because they usually had least to lose in their respective halves of the table.As a rule of thumb that seems sensible.

BlackSheep
09-04-2018, 06:06 PM
I’ve already missed four home league games and when I buy my ST I expect that to happen. My wife is usually pretty amenable around attendance when she knows when we are playing. At the moment arrangements are being made for various other activities and I can’t honestly tell her when we play so I may end up missing a further two games. The last two down to the incompetence and kowtowing uselessness of the people who are meant to be running the game and attracting punters to games. They make the local amateur bowls club look like ****ing NASA. I hate the SFA and SPFL. ****wits!!

Sounds like my situation! Wife constantly checking our shared calendar asking when we can do this or that.... met with my repeated response of ‘you will know as soon as I do!’

Also I’m away on a stag to Budapest the last weekend in April, so desperately waiting to see if it’s an away game for us that weekend.... I have my doubts with all the speculation.

Hibbyradge
09-04-2018, 06:42 PM
They should just announce the fixtures without considering the TV sponsors or potential violence.

So what if there's the possibility of someone getting seriously hurt as long as we know who we're playing 2 weeks in advance?

hibee_girl
09-04-2018, 06:57 PM
They should just announce the fixtures without considering the TV sponsors or potential violence.

So what if there's the possibility of someone getting seriously hurt as long as we know who we're playing 2 weeks in advance?

It’s not 2 weeks now though is it? Tomorrow it’ll be 11 days until our next match and we don’t know who it’s against or where it’ll be. For people that need to organise work, travel, babysitters it’s not great.

We’ve known for a week now which teams will be in the top/bottom so they could have provisionally worked all this out ready for announcing this morning at least

Baldy Foghorn
09-04-2018, 07:13 PM
It’s not 2 weeks now though is it? Tomorrow it’ll be 11 days until our next match and we don’t know who it’s against or where it’ll be. For people that need to organise work, travel, babysitters it’s not great.

We’ve known for a week now which teams will be in the top/bottom so they could have provisionally worked all this out ready for announcing this morning at least

Exactly, or for guys who run buses to away games, need to book buses.

It could have been worked out and published as soon as split was cemented, last week.

Shambles

Baldy Foghorn
09-04-2018, 07:14 PM

C'mon Dave, that's being obtuse.

Danderhall Hibs
09-04-2018, 07:17 PM

:hilarious

Maybe they could get a project manager in who could’ve planned this out for them so it’s not a last minute dash to the line.

jacomo
09-04-2018, 07:24 PM

I think the SPL have Stockholm syndrome.

Being held to ransom by the bigot brothers and they don’t even see it.

GreenCastle
09-04-2018, 07:26 PM

So true !

As I said before they can’t even get a cup draw right so the fixtures confuses them a little.

Carheenlea
09-04-2018, 07:51 PM
If they feel they can`t have an Old Firm game where Celtic could win the league, with concerns over crowd safety, then just play the game behind doors. Just sort the fixtures FFS and give some consideration to the other 10 teams and their suppporters.

My_Wife_Camille
09-04-2018, 08:10 PM
If they feel they can`t have an Old Firm game where Celtic could win the league, with concerns over crowd safety, then just play the game behind doors. Just sort the fixtures FFS and give some consideration to the other 10 teams and their suppporters.
And what’s going to happen if they ever get each other in a cup final?

Sauzee16
09-04-2018, 08:20 PM
They’ve confirmed that the old firm match will be on the 28/29th

I think we will get Celtic at home first.

Great news for me as they aren’t going to have the Edinburgh derby the same week as old firm. Probably Aberdeen away logically.

BoomtownHibees
09-04-2018, 08:20 PM
What if they schedule it for the 3rd game and that ends up being when Celtc can win the league??

Are they just assuming that Celtc will win every game before they have to play each other?

hibee_girl
09-04-2018, 08:23 PM
What if they schedule it for the 3rd game and that ends up being when Celtc can win the league??

Are they just assuming that Celtc will win every game before they have to play each other?

That’s exactly what they’re thinking :agree:

Danderhall Hibs
09-04-2018, 08:25 PM

:agree: giving them 2 chances to win it. It’s then wither the 3rd or 4th matchday that’s left over and the 4th is midweek so likely to go for the 3rd.

Hope it’s a “title decider” when they do meet.

Diclonius
09-04-2018, 08:28 PM
They’ve confirmed that the old firm match will be on the 28/29th

I think we will get Celtic at home first.

Great news for me as they aren’t going to have the Edinburgh derby the same week as old firm. Probably Aberdeen away logically.

That's great that Celtic, Rangers and their fans know nice and early so they can all start making preparations now. Any chance the rest of us can find out when ours are?

BoomtownHibees
09-04-2018, 08:30 PM
Robert Grieve on Twitter:

Old Firm league game will be Sunday April 29 - second weekend after the split. @scotsunsport

bingo70
09-04-2018, 08:33 PM
And what’s going to happen if they ever get each other in a cup final?

I don’t see why it’s such a problem for Celtic to win the league against the rangers?

As you say they’ve been competing in cup finals against each other’s for the last 100 odd years and those games were a 50/50 as to who would win, this has been inevitable for weeks. If it does happen, rangers fans will go back to the 16th century, Celtic fans will stay in the stadium.

There’ll no doubt be bother elsewhere but that happens anyway.

Diclonius
09-04-2018, 08:43 PM

Old Firm league game will be Sunday April 29 - second weekend after the split. @scotsunsport

So if Celtic lose in the first weekend and Aberdeen win their first two games, then the game will be a decider.

It'd be some spectacle if they went to all this bother for it not to happen only for it to happen.

Blaster
09-04-2018, 08:44 PM

Hopefully they play Kilmarnock first

Lmc2105
09-04-2018, 08:49 PM
Celtic fans apparently in the know say it’s us at ER first game of split.

bingo70
09-04-2018, 08:51 PM

Wouldn’t be against the idea of that, get the most difficult game out the road first.

Lmc2105
09-04-2018, 08:55 PM
Wouldn’t be against the idea of that, get the most difficult game out the road first.

I agree might actually work out something like if it’s true of course
Celtic H
Hearts A (same week as OF game)
Killie H
Aberdeen A
Rangers A/H?!

Heisenberg
09-04-2018, 08:56 PM

Downside is we face a potentially highly motivated and on their game Celtc opposed to playing them after they’ve sealed the title.

lord bunberry
09-04-2018, 08:57 PM
That would be the biggest joke if we also have to go to Ibrox three times. We should be playing them later in the split to make up for having to play more away games than home games. If we finish second it will be a tremendous achievement given the obstacles put in our way.

Stuart93
09-04-2018, 08:57 PM
Downside is we face a potentially highly motivated and on their game Celtc opposed to playing them after they’ve sealed the title.

Or a highly motivated Celtic who'd prefer to lift the title v their rivals

hibee_girl
09-04-2018, 09:00 PM
Or a highly motivated Celtic who'd prefer to lift the title v their rivals

Or a ref who’ll give a soft/dodgy penalty to ensure that doesn’t happen :dunno:

Billy Whizz
09-04-2018, 09:00 PM
Celtic at home for us is a very dangerous fixture
Not saying we will, but if we were to lose it, could be 6 points behind 2/3 place
We’d also be without Allan and Bartley

09-04-2018, 09:01 PM
IMO we don't want Celtic first up ..... better getting them once the league is won and they (probably) have a SC to rest their top players for. More chance of us getting a result in those circumstances I'd say. On a general point and as has been said by many others it's a bl00dy shambles they can't be trusted to play each other in a potential league decider. Does that mean these games are too "explosive" for them to be allowed to contest a SC Final, say? Ridiculous and shameful "fans".

Jamesie
09-04-2018, 09:21 PM

According to the official website we’re stepping back in time to 1 January 1970 for our next fixture, which I predict being a 0-0 draw at Tynecastle :greengrin Also being played at 01:00 - not sure how thy got the Police to agree to that but most likely done to suit the Asian television audiences. :greengrin

Stuart93
09-04-2018, 09:24 PM
Or a ref who’ll give a soft/dodgy penalty to ensure that doesn’t happen :dunno:

That sounds incredibly likely

SteveHFC
09-04-2018, 09:33 PM
Celtic apparently playing Aberdeen at home last day of the season.

Hibbyradge
09-04-2018, 09:34 PM
:hilarious

Maybe they could get a project manager in who could’ve planned this out for them so it’s not a last minute dash to the line.

I just don't know why folk are getting their knickers in a twist about this.

The next game is the best part of 2 weeks away.

Libby Hibby
09-04-2018, 09:36 PM
I agree might actually work out something like if it’s true of course
Celtic H
Hearts A (same week as OF game)
Killie H
Aberdeen A
Rangers A/H?!

Celtic fans say they are home v Aberdeen last fixture which would mean the Rangers would be away.

09-04-2018, 09:37 PM
Huns away last game of season could be entertaining.

Billy Whizz
09-04-2018, 09:38 PM
Huns away last game of season could be entertaining.

Hibs away or Huns at ER?

Libby Hibby
09-04-2018, 09:39 PM
Imagine all to play for and Aberdeen at Parkhead and the Rangers at ER on the last day

SteveHFC
09-04-2018, 09:41 PM
Imagine all to play for and Aberdeen at Parkhead and the Rangers at ER on the last day

Beating The Rangers last day of the season to qualify for europe would be glorious.

Billy Whizz
09-04-2018, 09:42 PM
Beating The Rangers last day of the season to qualify to europe would be glorious.

So is it looking like this for Hibs
Home to Celtic
Away to Hearts
Home to Killie
Away to Dons
Home to Huns

Libby Hibby
09-04-2018, 09:45 PM
Home to Celtic
Away to Hearts
Home to Killie
Away to Dons
Home to Huns

Seems fair and reasonable

Billy Whizz
09-04-2018, 09:47 PM
Seems fair and reasonable

Only basing this on the leaks above

Danderhall Hibs
09-04-2018, 09:56 PM
Home to Celtic
Away to Hearts
Home to Killie
Away to Dons
Home to Huns

That’d be worth the wait. Take your time guys...

davhibby
09-04-2018, 09:59 PM
Aberdeen away midweek would be rubbish. I'd also rather not have to go to Hearts after playing Celtic first game. The two toughest games imo

joebakerforever
09-04-2018, 10:00 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if they give us the worst permutation of in chronological order :-

Rangers (away) followed by Celtic (home) followed by Aberdeen (away) follwed by Killie (home), ending with Hearts (away)

Ozyhibby
09-04-2018, 10:13 PM
Aberdeen away midweek would be rubbish. I'd also rather not have to go to Hearts after playing Celtic first game. The two toughest games imo

They’re all tough games now.

Diclonius
09-04-2018, 10:14 PM
The derby won't be the last game of the season. They have to play all the final fixtures at once which would take away viewers.

Hibbyradge
09-04-2018, 10:18 PM
The derby won't be the last game of the season. They have to play all the final fixtures at once which would take away viewers.

I thought that, but it's not true.

They will show a game on the last Sunday.

Diclonius
09-04-2018, 10:22 PM

They will, but my reasoning is that it'll be a less important one.

Showing an Edinburgh derby when both Celtic and Rangers are playing will take out a lot of the potential viewing audience and is something I'd think they'd want to avoid.

BegbieHSC
09-04-2018, 11:00 PM
Home to Celtic
Away to Hearts
Home to Killie
Away to Dons
Home to Huns

Seems far too reasonable for it to actually happen.

Can't forget that the SPFL are a shambles!

hibby6270
10-04-2018, 12:15 AM
Beating The Rangers last day of the season to qualify for europe would be glorious.

That particular end of season last game - and outcome - has happened before.
Helicopter Sunday - 2005.
We got beat 1-0 but still qualified for Europe on goal difference.
The Huns won the league. :boo hoo:

truehibernian
10-04-2018, 12:24 AM
That particular end of season last game - and outcome - has happened before.
Helicopter Sunday - 2005.
We got beat 1-0 but still qualified for Europe on goal difference.
The Huns won the league. :boo hoo:

And 'Old Rangers' fans invaded the pitch if I recall which needed a police cordon.........:cb

BlackSheep
10-04-2018, 06:25 AM
Some reports this morning that the fixtures release could be delayed til Friday due to policing discussions over the Old Firm match.

Absolute joke that one fixture is holding everything else up.

There’s every chance Celtic could win the title against Rangers no matter which fixture week it’s on, so just pull the finger out and schedule it already!

Tynie01011973
10-04-2018, 06:25 AM

Would imagine that would be Celtic to show unfurling league flag

Jamesie
10-04-2018, 06:27 AM
And 'Old Rangers' fans invaded the pitch if I recall which needed a police cordon.........:cb

One of the darkest days I can ever remember at Easter Road. Sure, I understood the tactics but watching a Hibs team 0-1 down to *them* and treating the match as a training exercise with no attempt made to go forward for an equaliser at all was difficult to watch. From memory Scott McDonald scored for Motherwell in the dying seconds to send the title to Ibrox which sparked pandemonium.

Given the behaviour of their fans on the pitch, but for that Police cordon there would have been a riot. While I appreciate they are Rangers fans, it was quite surreal to see Shiels and Sproule celebrating despite having just lost a match in a Hibs jersey.

james62
10-04-2018, 06:37 AM
Why not just make the old firm the last day of the season, Celtic will have won the title by then and can do their trophy presentation after the match, this would surely help policing as the Huns would be long gone from the stadium by the time the Celtic fans were leaving?

hibee_girl
10-04-2018, 06:47 AM
Some reports this morning that the fixtures release could be delayed til Friday due to policing discussions over the Old Firm match.

There’s every chance Celtic could win the title against Rangers no matter which fixture week it’s on, so just pull the finger out and schedule it already!

Friday would be ridiculous, well even more ridiculous than what it is already

CentreLine
10-04-2018, 06:49 AM

If it’s all about “west of Scotland” suppprters not being able to behave they should simply make the Thes v Celtic game the midweek fixture and be done with it.

Billy Whizz
10-04-2018, 08:55 AM
Friday would be ridiculous, well even more ridiculous than what it is already

Can’t get this Friday nonsense. No games between now and then, so no reason to hold until then

Diclonius
10-04-2018, 08:58 AM

Here's an idea: let's have NO fans at the match.

If they can't be trusted to behave like adults, treat them like children. This is getting unbelievable.

Jones28
10-04-2018, 09:01 AM
Here's an idea: let's have NO fans at the match.

If they can't be trusted to behave like adults, treat them like children. This is getting unbelievable.

This. The rest of the league is waiting to figure out plans for games and it's being put on hold because Celtic and Rangers fans can't control themselves.

jgl07
10-04-2018, 09:24 AM
One of the darkest days I can ever remember at Easter Road. Sure, I understood the tactics but watching a Hibs team 0-1 down to *them* and treating the match as a training exercise with no attempt made to go forward for an equaliser at all was difficult to watch. From memory Scott McDonald scored for Motherwell in the dying seconds to send the title to Ibrox which sparked pandemonium.

Given the behaviour of their fans on the pitch, but for that Police cordon there would have been a riot. While I appreciate they are Rangers fans, it was quite surreal to see Shiels and Sproule celebrating despite having just lost a match in a Hibs jersey.

I wondered if that match had been fixed. Rangers needed to win for the title, Hibs needed to avoid losing by more than one goal to secure a European place. Both were achieved.

Aim Here
10-04-2018, 09:41 AM
I wondered if that match had been fixed. Rangers needed to win for the title, Hibs needed to avoid losing by more than one goal to secure a European place. Both were achieved.

No. There wouldn't be a need to fix a game like that, because everyone on the pitch would have known the scoreline was optimal for their team and that pushing to change the score was a risky move. This stuff happens due to how competitions are designed - except in straight knockout cup games, it's possible to get noncompetitive fixtures where neither team has an incentive to change the score beyond a certain point. Playing multiple fixtures at the same time sometimes mitigates this (since it's possible that competition results depend on some other team's game and if you don't know the result of that, you have to try for the full 90 minutes. That didn't help in 2005, though).

My favourite is Barbados vs Grenada, where iffy competition rules meant Barbados deliberately scored an own goal to lose their lead and get into extra time, after which Grenada had to score a goal at either end with Barbados, successfully, defending both goals.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbados_4%E2%80%932_Grenada_(1994_Caribbean_Cup_q ualification)

JimBHibees
10-04-2018, 10:01 AM

Was pretty happy we qualified for Europe didnt care who won the league.

grammyb111
10-04-2018, 10:02 AM

This might be the case, but I'd be inclined to ignore any 'in the know' folks when even using an educated guess could get you the correct result ~50% of the time. I could say 'we will get Hearts away the midweek in the middle' if that turns out to be right (which it could be) then I could use that to get 'ITK' attention, if wrong I could just stay silent on the matter.

I'd prefer to have Celtic after they'd won the title, would give us a better chance.

jgl07
10-04-2018, 10:03 AM
No. There wouldn't be a need to fix a game like that, because everyone on the pitch would have known the scoreline was optimal for their team and that pushing to change the score was a risky move. This stuff happens due to how competitions are designed - except in straight knockout cup games, it's possible to get noncompetitive fixtures where neither team has an incentive to change the score beyond a certain point. Playing multiple fixtures at the same time sometimes mitigates this (since it's possible that competition results depend on some other team's game and if you don't know the result of that, you have to try for the full 90 minutes. That didn't help in 2005, though).

My favourite is Barbados vs Grenada, where iffy competition rules meant Barbados deliberately scored an own goal to lose their lead and get into extra time, after which Grenada had to score a goal at either end with Barbados, successfully, defending both goals.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbados_4%E2%80%932_Grenada_(1994_Caribbean_Cup_q ualification)

You are probably right about Hibs v Rangers. The 0-1 scoreline suited both teams. Neither team had any incentive to attack and risk conceding. It was a Nash Equilibrium in Game Theory terms.

My favourite fixed match was in Serie A in the 1990s. Milan were away to Bologna (?) and needed a draw to secure the title. Their hosts needed a draw to avoid relegation. It ended 2-2 with one team scoring and the other equalised immediately twice. Neither sideseemed interested in attacking after that. Given that Milan were owned by the very dodgy Sylvo Berlusconi at the time this is very plausible.

Michael
10-04-2018, 10:07 AM
This might be the case, but I'd be inclined to ignore any 'in the know' folks when even using an educated guess could get you the correct result ~50% of the time. I could say 'we will get Hearts away the midweek in the middle' if that turns out to be right (which it could be) then I could use that to get 'ITK' attention, if wrong I could just stay silent on the matter.

I'd prefer to have Celtic after they'd won the title, would give us a better chance.

Don't think it will make a difference, we'll be motivated to stop the title party.

Franck Stanton
10-04-2018, 10:07 AM
Home to Celtic
Away to Hearts
Home to Killie
Away to Dons
Home to Huns

Hope not. My line of thought is I would rather play Celtic after they had won the league (only need 3 points) as the same intensity from them just wouldn't be there. Hope Killie get Celtic at Parkhead first game

Souter96Mac
10-04-2018, 10:31 AM
My preferred lineup would be:
Rangers home
Aberdeen away
Killie home
Hearts away
Celtic home

Would give us a chance to challenge the two above us early and try and close the gap, then put us in good stead for the last 3 with Celtic having already won the league.

hibby6270
10-04-2018, 10:38 AM
One of the darkest days I can ever remember at Easter Road. Sure, I understood the tactics but watching a Hibs team 0-1 down to *them* and treating the match as a training exercise with no attempt made to go forward for an equaliser at all was difficult to watch

Not sure I would go as far as saying “darkest day ever at ER” but it was definitely one of the most bizarre games I’ve witnessed. As you rightly say, the result suited both teams. They HAD to win. We ONLY needed to (at worst) be beat by one goal.
Mind you, if a similar scenario were to arise last game of this season that guaranteed us a European spot, I’d bite your hand off and take that now.:agree:

Coco Bryce
10-04-2018, 10:46 AM

The police don't want Celtic to win the league against the Rangers, the TV companies DO! No wonder Scottish Football is a complete laughing stock. These two teams cannot be trusted to do what most other leagues do around the world and cope with no problem. Did anyone complain that Man City could have won the league against their bitter rivals last weekend. Nah, nobody. It was a great spectacle, just what football is all about!!

Glory Lurker
10-04-2018, 10:56 AM

I was unhappy about it while I was at ER but soon after I switched to thinking it was a crazy experience and feeling i’d been quite lucky to have been part of it. It’s quite funny that so few of their fans were actually there at that special moment for their club, and loads more Hibbies experienced it than they did. It would have been good fun to snuff out Olco’s title hopes, and there’s no doubt the game was a washout, but I took solace in the second highest level of schadenfreude there is, enjoying the agony of either half of the OF losing the title to the other in the dying minutes of the last game of the season.

james62
10-04-2018, 11:01 AM
I don't seem to remember them having this carry on last year, or had Celtic already won the league by the time the split happened?

green&left
10-04-2018, 11:14 AM
The police don't want Celtic to win the league against the Rangers, the TV companies DO! No wonder Scottish Football is a complete laughing stock. These two teams cannot be trusted to do what most other leagues do around the world and cope with no problem. Did anyone complain that Man City could have won the league against their bitter rivals last weekend. Nah, nobody. It was a great spectacle, just what football is all about!!

Alot of it is down the media and press. I've seen a clip or picture from the 1980's riot about a hunner times now in the last week from them when discussing this fixture. They were the exact same when they announced an OF derby on hogmanay a year or two back. "It'll be chaos", "there will be a riot". There was a massive 3 arrests in the stadium!

JimBHibees
10-04-2018, 12:18 PM
You are probably right about Hibs v Rangers. The 0-1 scoreline suited both teams. Neither team had any incentive to attack and risk conceding. It was a Nash Equilibrium in Game Theory terms.

My favourite fixed match was in Serie A in the 1990s. Milan were away to Bologna (?) and needed a draw to secure the title. Their hosts needed a draw to avoid relegation. It ended 2-2 with one team scoring and the other equalised immediately twice. Neither sideseemed interested in attacking after that. Given that Milan were owned by the very dodgy Sylvo Berlusconi at the time this is very plausible.

Can remember something similar may have been the same game was a lower team at the San Siro (want to say Bari maybe not). Milan scored when one of their midfielders smashed one in the top corner, his total lack of celebration was perhaps a giveaway. The then world class defenders of Milan, Baresi, maldini then contrived to fall out of the way allowing an opposing forward to waltz through and score the equaliser. Can remember Liam Brady (ex - Juve) indicating this was pretty much par for the course in Italy.

Sauzee16
10-04-2018, 12:24 PM
I don't seem to remember them having this carry on last year, or had Celtic already won the league by the time the split happened?

They won 5-0 at the PBS to win the league at the start of April last season. Before the split.

Billy Whizz
10-04-2018, 12:25 PM
See Strachans throwing his tuppence worth into this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43713572

greenlad
10-04-2018, 12:25 PM
.....Can remember Liam Brady (ex - Juve) indicating this was pretty much par for the course in Italy.

It is (or at least was) endemic. Read The Miracle of Castel Di Sangrio by Joe McGuiness and it becomes clear how "convenient" results are achieved at the end of the season.

JimBHibees
10-04-2018, 12:30 PM

Interesting comments from ex Police Board chairman.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43705226

This line sticks out like a sore thumb.

Gray also praised Rangers and Celtic for the "tremendous work" they have done in addressing issues around the derbies and believes "we have come a long way" since the infamous 1999 match but that the threat of disorder remains, particularly in areas around the venue of the match itself.

Tremendous work by Rangers in particular, really.

Speedy
10-04-2018, 12:32 PM

First I've heard of that one. Absolutely mental.

I remember Sweden v Denmark at a championship. Both teams needed a draw to guarantee going through, it was odds-on before the kick off. Finished 2-2.

Sure there have been a few matches in Italy where it was odds on for a draw as well.

danhibees1875
10-04-2018, 12:39 PM
First I've heard of that one. Absolutely mental.

I remember Sweden v Denmark at a championship. Both teams needed a draw to guarantee going through, it was odds-on before the kick off. Finished 2-2.

Sure there have been a few matches in Italy where it was odds on for a draw as well.

Had to be 2-2...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2012/jun/18/euro-2012-sweden-denmark-2-2

Craigmount Hibs
10-04-2018, 12:56 PM
Home to Celtic
Away to Hearts
Home to Killie
Away to Dons
Home to Huns

I realise you’re only basing the above on what’s been said earlier in the thread - but are we not the most likely team (as lowest “seeded”) to have to play 20 away games and only 18 at home, as I think one of the six teams will have to do that?

Billy Whizz
10-04-2018, 12:59 PM
Clock is ticking on this SPFL. We really need to know NOW!

1) When games are getting played to organise time off work, sort out child care, transport etc. Games could be from Friday to Monday for weekend games, and Tuesday to Thursday for the midweek game if TV gets its way

2) Clubs to receive tickets and distribute for their away fans. Going to inconvenience fans who’ll probably have an extra trip to the TO to pick these up, as it maybe too late for posting out!

3) Clubs need to sell tickets for home games and organise hospitality

3) Supporters clubs need to book buses

Again it’s the fans who are left hanging about, do you care about us

Ozyhibby
10-04-2018, 01:03 PM
I realise you’re only basing the above on what’s been said earlier in the thread - but are we not the most likely team (as lowest “seeded”) to have to play 20 away games and only 18 at home, as I think one of the six teams will have to do that?

There is no rule about lowest seeded teams. There is no set rules drawn up for any of this which is why it’s such a shambles.

Thecat23
10-04-2018, 01:14 PM

We really are a bunch of cowards in this country. Hiding away like scared cats because some fans can’t behave. Play the Celtic v The Rangers game as the first game after the break. Unless we face the major issue we have with these two it’s never going to get better.

Strapon is another clown like McCall, scared in case the world sees them for what we all know they are.. bigots!

Steven79
10-04-2018, 01:25 PM
We really are a bunch of cowards in this country. Hiding away like scared cats because some fans can’t behave. Play the Celtic v The Rangers game as the first game after the break. Unless we face the major issue we have with these two it’s never going to get better.

Strapon is another clown like McCall, scared in case the world sees them for what we all know they are.. bigots!

Exactly and this whole thing is becoming more and more a farce by each passing day! If they can't play a match like this which every other country in the world can then they should **** off and leave the rest of us in peace.

Did the English run scared that City were playing United when they could win the league? No they ******g loved and milked it for all it's worth....

As for the fixtures themselves (Whenever we find them out) I am in two minds over them as I think Hearts have more chance of beating the tribute act at Tynecastle and Ibrox holds no fear for Hibs so bring it on! The only thing that does bother me is that we lose a game out on a game and home advantage and 4000 - 5000 walks ups at Easter Road as despite people saying Hibs will lose a full house season ticket holders have already paid but still it could cost the club a player and Hearts have already have around 4x their away end at Murrayfield when Rangers came to visit so I'm undecided over what would be best.

Keith_M
10-04-2018, 01:33 PM
If Celtc win the league against The Govan Bigots and it all kicks off, then so be it.

The world will see them for what they are.

p.s. I'm still waiting for any newspaper other than the Sunday Herald to report on The Govan Bigots' sectarian '9 in a row' bash.

Scouse Hibee
10-04-2018, 01:37 PM
Wish they would hurry up, holding up all my regular travelling plans, a right pain in the erse.

.Sean.
10-04-2018, 01:55 PM
I think the real disgrace is that none of us are surprised in the slightest. Cowards running the league and it’s a sad indictment of how backwards Old Firm supporters are when they still can’t be trusted.

Wonder what the clubs views on this are? Hibs, Killie, Hearts and Aberdeen should all really get together on this and demand answers cause it’s a complete and utter pisstake. The league have shown a total disregard and lack of respect towards the other clubs.

Callum_62
10-04-2018, 01:56 PM

100% this

if they misbehave - fine them etc

Steven79
10-04-2018, 02:04 PM
100% this

They are too scared to fine them that's the problem!

hibbyfraelibby
10-04-2018, 02:06 PM
100% this

If the misbehave take their European places of them.

JimBHibees
10-04-2018, 02:10 PM
Why would a league winning game be anymore charged than say a cup semi final as is happening this Sunday? Makes no sense.

Quite funny the ridiculous hype this game gets from the TV channels yet they arent able to play in case one of the teams wins the league. Get a grip.

The chronic under reporting of the trouble this game causes in certain areas of the country is a disgrace also. The cowardice and lack of leadership is shameful across the board.

greenginger
10-04-2018, 02:11 PM
100% this

Make the next next two fixtures between them played behind closed doors, with another two suspended depending on good behaviour.

Onion
10-04-2018, 02:12 PM
I think the real disgrace is that none of us are surprised in the slightest. Cowards running the league and it’s a sad indictment of how backwards Old Firm supporters are when they still can’t be trusted.

Wonder what the clubs views on this are? Hibs, Killie, Hearts and Aberdeen should all really get together on this and demand answers cause it’s a complete and utter pisstake. The league have shown a total disregard and lack of respect towards the other clubs.

My problem with all if this is the silence about the competitive advantage it gives both Celtic and Sevco in the final few games. If the dice fall and say that Celtic should play Sevco in game 1, then that's when it should be played - irrespective of any concerns about the hurt feeling it would give the poor Glasgow loser. Celtic v Sevco would be a bruising battle and tough fixture for both teams. Yellow cards, red cards, injuries are all highly likely in such a case, which could pay a very big part in the following matches they each play in the top 6.

To let security concerns dictate when a league match can/cannot be played because of the tiny "minority" of bigots and trouble-makers we are led to believe exist within both club supports makes no sense. Their clubs and media are forever telling us the problem is under control and caused by a handful of individuals.

If they cannot be trusted to safely hold the game when it is due to be played, then it should be played behind closed doors. THAT would sort the bugger out and give the clubs, police, media and SPFL something to think about !

Halmyre Hibee
10-04-2018, 02:13 PM
Make the next next two fixtures between them played behind closed doors, with another two suspended depending on good behaviour.

100% correct it will soon stop.

JimBHibees
10-04-2018, 02:17 PM
My problem with all if this is the silence about the competitive advantage it gives both Celtic and Sevco in the final few games. If the dice fall and say that Celtic should play Sevco in game 1, then that's when it should be played - irrespective of any concerns about the hurt feeling it would give the poor Glasgow loser. Celtic v Sevco would be a bruising battle and tough fixture for both teams. Yellow cards, red cards, injuries are all highly likely in such a case, which could pay a very big part in the following matches they each play in the top 6.

To let security concerns dictate when a league match can/cannot be played because of the tiny "minority" of bigots and trouble-makers we are led to believe exist within both club supports makes no sense. Their clubs and media are forever telling us the problem is under control and caused by a handful of individuals.

If they cannot be trusted to safely hold the game when it is due to be played, then it should be played behind closed doors. THAT would sort the bugger out and give the clubs, police, media and SPFL something to think about !

Absolute nail on the head. It isnt right and hasnt ever been right. You also have refs saying they referee the Old Firm in a different way than other games which palpably is unfair to the rest of the teams in the league.

Sauzee16
10-04-2018, 02:22 PM
Celtic at home to Abereen first us at home to Killie

green day
10-04-2018, 02:22 PM
When do we actually find out?

Sauzee16
10-04-2018, 02:23 PM
When do we actually find out?

This afternoon. Celtic fan at work has told me their supporters club in Ireland have been told they are at home first v sheep Sat lunch time.

murray26
10-04-2018, 02:24 PM
Why is it taking so long..? Absolute farce..

Billy Whizz
10-04-2018, 02:25 PM
Celtic at home to Abereen first us at home to Killie

Speculation or fact

Sauzee16
10-04-2018, 02:27 PM
Speculation or fact

See above. It’s not fact until they are released I suppose.

Mikey09
They will schedule the old firm to play second last game of the season. That way Celtic will already have sewn it up and will have the last game to be presented the trophy all so as not to upset Rangers. Our association is an utter embarrassment.

Mikey
This afternoon. Celtic fan at work has told me their supporters club in Ireland have been told they are at home first v sheep Sat lunch time.

Is the other game at Ibrox or the PBS?

Billy Whizz
10-04-2018, 02:28 PM
See above. It’s not fact until they are released I suppose.

Ok ta

Gordy M
10-04-2018, 02:29 PM
The old firm game will be the first after the split.

Alfiembra
10-04-2018, 02:31 PM
I think it shows a lot of disrespect to the other teams in the top 6 in that the inference is that Celtic will win the title at the first attempt. Therefore make the Rangers game later so that the title is already decided. Who's to say Celtic have a massive dip in form and lose a couple of games on the bounce and the Rangers game ends up the title decider anyway.

hibee_girl
10-04-2018, 02:34 PM
I think it shows a lot of disrespect to the other teams in the top 6 in that the inference is that Celtic will win the title at the first attempt. Therefore make the Rangers game later so that the title is already decided. Who's to say Celtic have a massive dip in form and lose a couple of games on the bounce and the Rangers game ends up the title decider anyway.

Exactly :agree:

They’ve already drawn with us twice and have drawn and lost to Kilmarnock since Clarke took over

My_Wife_Camille
10-04-2018, 02:35 PM
Exactly :agree:

They’ve already drawn with us twice and have drawn and lost to Kilmarnock since Clarke took over
And they got pumped silly by Hearts

hibee_girl
10-04-2018, 02:39 PM
And they got pumped silly by Hearts

Of course, can’t believe I forgot that one!

james62
10-04-2018, 02:42 PM
I think it's safe to say we don't want Celtic as our first game, the SPFL have made it very clear that they don't want to chance an old firm title decider. Celtic will get every decision going in their next league game :agree:

NthCarolinaHibs
10-04-2018, 02:46 PM
Why is it taking so long..? Absolute farce..

SSN now saying it will be announced "Later this week"... shambles...

LancsHibs
10-04-2018, 02:48 PM

What!!!!🤬 they have known who the top 6 were likely to be for weeks. Shambles!!

Greencore
10-04-2018, 02:51 PM

only in Scotland....

murray26
10-04-2018, 02:55 PM
This is laughable.. can anyone put names to whoever is making these decisions.. our game is being run by a load of unelected fools..

AgentDaleCooper
10-04-2018, 02:56 PM
This is a pisstake. I need to let work know when the games are or i'll have no chance of attending.