PDA

View Full Version : Nobody Did It Better: Sir Tom v Queen Ann

hibbyfraelibby
09-04-2018, 09:10 AM
Both Hibs and Hertz have gone through brink of extinction events in living memory and Sir Tom and Queen Ann have been credited with saving their team respective teams but which one did it better?

Sir Tom put his own cash in to buy the club and installed financial experts to run the club in Lex Gold and Rod Petrie. Queen Ann lent the club money at 6% to buy her club for herself and has appointed diddies to screw up the things she hadn't

Sir Tom has a vision for real fan ownership gradually reducing his shareholding as HSL and other fans build up an at present c30% share of the club. Queen is a fan and owns the club and uses the FOH money to plug the gaps in the clubs finances rather than let them buy shares as yet in the club. Hibs fans 30%, Hertz fans 0%

Sir Tom oversaw the complete redevelopment of Easter Road into a FIFA category B standard stadium. 4 new stands properly financed and designed to incorporate revenue generating facilities, rentable office space, community space and hospitality and catering facilities. Queen Ann just fired the non architect for producing a death trap you cannot see the pitch from in many seats, does not even meet minimum UEFA, never mind FIFA standards. Has a library style extention they cannot use to generate money and not enough gents toilets.

Sir Tom's stewardship saw Hibs build their own training centre 100% dedicated to the club available 24/7 365 days a year to HFC. Queen Ann continues to pay by the hour for Herroit Watt owned facilities that have to be vacated when the women's hockey team, SRU or the local Zumba class want to use it.

Sir Tom has delivered us two League Cups and a Scottish Cup. Queen Ann has delivered nothing.

So who do you think did it better?

lord bunberry
09-04-2018, 09:17 AM
Let’s not pretend it’s all been good. We’ve been relegated twice and the fans have been demonstrating outside the stadium on a few occasions. I’ll always be grateful for what Tom Farmer has done for us, I think we should name one of the stands after him, but let’s not go down the hearts route of worshiping the dear leader.

Vini1875
09-04-2018, 10:04 AM
Be interesting to see what the jambos think which I am guessing would be in reverse. Tom Farmer has given Rod petrie an almost free hand and the results have not been great. The infastructure at the club was developed well, but to the detriment of the footballing side and managed to create a real disconnect from the supporters. Tom Farmer's greatest failing for me is that he never really bought into the club emotionally. In simple business terms there is no contest between Farmer and Budge, but then it was always going to be very difficult for her to cut her cloth accordingly and please the fans after the millions Romanov stole.

greenginger
09-04-2018, 10:13 AM
Be interesting to see what the jambos think which I am guessing would be in reverse. Tom Farmer has given Rod petrie an almost free hand and the results have not been great. The infastructure at the club was developed well, but to the detriment of the footballing side and managed to create a real disconnect from the supporters. Tom Farmer's greatest failing for me is that he never really bought into the club emotionally. In simple business terms there is no contest between Farmer and Budge, but then it was always going to be very difficult for her to cut her cloth accordingly and please the fans after the millions Romanov stole.

In theory Budge should be gone, or at least relegated to just another board member in a couple of years when the FoH committee takes control.

That's when the real fun starts. Speculate to accumulate vs run a tight ship. :greengrin

SChibs
09-04-2018, 10:38 AM
To look at this fairly you need to take into account that our event happened 30 years ago and theirs 5. There's nothing to say hearts won't do well over the next 30 years as should hibs so it's hard to judge them just now.

CropleyWasGod
09-04-2018, 10:48 AM
To look at this fairly you need to take into account that our event happened 30 years ago and theirs 5. There's nothing to say hearts won't do well over the next 30 years as should hibs so it's hard to judge them just now.Yep. Apples and pears thus far.

Both clubs have a fan-ownership intention. It will be interesting to see how that pans out for each.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Sauzee16
09-04-2018, 10:54 AM
Do hearts really need their own training facility? They have first dibs on the best in Scotland and don’t pay by the hour either they have a long term lease have they not? Do we save money having our own? I would imagine the upkeep would be substantial.

The Harp
09-04-2018, 10:56 AM
Don't like comparing Hibs with them, or in this case Sir Tom with Ann B.
Their fortunes on and off the park mean absolutely nothing to me, same goes for their personnel. I'm just delighted that we're in a good place at present, and hopefully, this will get even better in future years.

Dashing Bob S
09-04-2018, 11:43 AM
Don't like comparing Hibs with them, or in this case Sir Tom with Ann B.
Their fortunes on and off the park mean absolutely nothing to me, same goes for their personnel. I'm just delighted that we're in a good place at present, and hopefully, this will get even better in future years.

I think in a popularity contest nobody can compare with the adored Queen of Hearts. Irrespective of what team you follow, everyone was blown away with the way she stepped in to rescue a beleaguered club and restore their fortunates as the dominant force in Scottish football. It wasn't all about on the park success though. The architectural marvel of the new stand is testimony to what can be achieved with the powers of faith and vision, which this marvelous woman possesses in spades. But more than that, the way this classy lady executes her simple duties is a blessing to us all. The almost divine inspiration of this woman cutting above all footballing, political, social and religious boundaries brings a tear to the eye of even this most avid and cynical docksider. Long may she reign.

Jack Hackett
09-04-2018, 11:53 AM
I think in a popularity contest nobody can compare with the adored Queen of Hearts. Irrespective of what team you follow, everyone was blown away with the way she stepped in to rescue a beleaguered club and restore their fortunates as the dominant force in Scottish football. It wasn't all about on the park success though. The architectural marvel of the new stand is testimony to what can be achieved with the powers of faith and vision, which this marvelous woman possesses in spades. But more than that, the way this classy lady executes her simple duties is a blessing to us all. The almost divine inspiration of this woman cutting above all footballing, political, social and religious boundaries brings a tear to the eye of even this most avid and cynical docksider. Long may she reign.

One can only hope they've left enough space on the Plaza/Piazza/Square in front of the eighth wonder of the world to accommodate the inevitable statue.

Sammy7nil
09-04-2018, 11:56 AM

Here here or Hear hear :greengrin:wink:

Famous Fiver
09-04-2018, 01:53 PM
Difficult for the sculptor to replicate the outfit wee Annie was wearing when she held her arms aloft Jesus style.

If a lego bus cost £79 cannot imagine what a replica statuette is gonna cost.

Oh ma sides.............

CropleyWasGod
09-04-2018, 02:02 PM
The bus does it for me. Nothing Sir Tyre Fitter can do now will top that.

She gets my vote, if not my 79 quid.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

jacomo
09-04-2018, 03:16 PM
One can only hope they've left enough space on the Plaza/Piazza/Square in front of the eighth wonder of the world to accommodate the inevitable statue.

It’s the Foundation Plaza/Piazza/Square.

They’ve got a cheap wee sign tied to a lamp post and everything.

The Queen will even let her subjects eat cake in it, so long as the proceeds from any bake sales go straight into the coffers.

jacomo
09-04-2018, 04:14 PM
Difficult for the sculptor to replicate the outfit wee Annie was wearing when she held her arms aloft Jesus style.

If a lego bus cost £79 cannot imagine what a replica statuette is gonna cost.

Oh ma sides.............

I’m reliably informed they are raising money for a statue commemorating that Famous moment to be placed on top of Edinburgh castle.

If it’s tall enough, they might just be able to see it from the ‘Skyview Lounge’.

Stantons Angel
09-04-2018, 04:41 PM
in reading the original post its easy to get carried away and say Sir Tom did it better.

This as someone said was 30 years ago and they decided after the comedy acts we had in place that the correct infrastructure was needed and set about doing that straight away. Sir Tom put Petrie in charge of finances and with his insight started straight away in stream lining the staffing and all our going financial commitments of the club.

He did this while other clubs were laughing at us purposely starting at the begining again. BUT as you know there came a time when all clubs had to cut their cloths and the same happened to them whilst we were steadying the ship.

Someone earlier on said all this was detrement to the onfield activities and id agree with that. Remebering those times of relegation still holds a lot of pain and thinking back to them you wonder just how we got through to now.

Their stadium is nothing compared to ours, im biased i know, they have no training facility of their own and they continually bleat on about being the big team.

As has been pointed out the fans themselves poured money into saving their team with the thought of a fan controlled club. Many of them still pay regularly in the hope that this will one day come about.

Hibs too have gone down this same avenue and are continually asking more supporters to jump on the band wagon. The expected flurry at the begining brought out a lot of us to invest in this venture which continues to grow. it would be nice to see more of us continuing the commitment even after getting our wee certificate. This way it helps the manager with his pre season budget and allows him to buy the kind of player he needs to get us to the top.

My way of thinking is that both the benefactors of both teams did their bit for their clubs in the ways they could. Mrs Budge is unfortunate that she has had Levine advising on choices of managers. Just like the numpties we come through the ever revolving door.

Time will tell who is the biggest the best and the big or wee team in Edinburgh but personally i only bother about Hibs and will continue to support the club in any way i can just like you.

NAE NOOKIE
09-04-2018, 05:24 PM
Apples and oranges, as has already been pointed out everything that has happened at ER since STF came on board has been done over a period of 30 years, you would have to give the radiant queen Ann another 25 years to make any kind of reasonable comparison.

Lets not pretend that its all been plain sailing either, relegations, demonstrations outside the main stand etc. We are now in a very good place, but its taken all of that 30 years to get there and as ever in football there is no guarantee that there wont be problems and bad seasons further down the road.

Football will probably change out of all recognition in the next 25 years and I can see the big city clubs in Scotland being part of some sort of UK wide or European set up, there has already been hints to that effect dropped from a few quarters. From that point of view I think Hibs are far better placed than Hearts to take advantage ... we have room to expand the stadium, we have a training centre which can be modernised to suit our specific needs in the future and we do not have to worry that a postage stamp sized pitch might exclude us from any European set up.

Hearts only solution will be to move from Gorgie if such a scenario plays out and that would cost them a fortune.

There is at least anecdotal evidence that our supporter base is growing at a faster rate than theirs and that would be my biggest worry if I was a crystal ball gazing Jambo .... If they were to be left behind by us in the event that they weren't fit for purpose when a new set up was being constructed they could be left behind forever. I'm not pretending that that is all that likely, but its not outwith the bounds of possibility.