PDA

View Full Version : Post cup final celebrations/memories

MSK
07-04-2018, 04:28 PM
On the back of Pat Nevins tear jerking post cup final memories, be good to read of how others celebrated.

I was numb after the game, emotions scattered, my Wife said I asked to renew our wedding vows seconds after the final whistle, I have since sobered up 😆

I had a stash of buds in the boot of the car, the triumphant return back home to Edinburgh was pretty much a haze, I was high as a kite, didnt really need the alcohol, it was the perfect time to enter the city with head held high, looking for stray the rangers fans, or even jambos, just to flick a one fingered salute, I was hoarse, the grin stretching from ear to ear & middle finger would have sufficed.

Home to watch a rerun, more alcohol, then bed. Never slept a wink, up next day to attend player sponsorship at Easter Rd, seeing the players coming in rougher than me was a bonus, sheer raw emotion from them all, shirts n ties but looking worse for wear, we were as one.

Picked up our Daughters & headed for Leith links, a few more beers in the glorious sunshine awaiting our heroes .... Perfect, a memory forever. GGTTH

Craig_HFC
07-04-2018, 04:48 PM
Carry out on the bus home that was ‘acquired’ from ASDA, back to the Cask & Barrel on Broughton Street and then down to Easter Road for a street party.

On the Sunday, headed to my parents house for them to crack open some champagne before heading to Leith Links via the Hibs Club & Tesco on Leith Walk for another carry out.

Viva_Palmeiras
07-04-2018, 05:09 PM
Oddly enough I didn’t write down my feelings at the time because I didn’t want to analyse it and just wanted to keep on feeling the feeling. Then the danger is you have false memories. To put it into words somehow not being a wordsmith could never do it justice. It’s the emotions stirred .thats it how can you describe it as other than as close to perfection as it gets as a football fan? It’s so emmense it mainly only Hibbies can get it. No words need be spoken. Replay the footage and you’ve got a good roomful of Hibees in tears. Would almost seem bizarre to uninformed onlookers.

WoreTheGreen
07-04-2018, 05:16 PM
Carry out on the bus home that was ‘acquired’ from ASDA, back to the Cask & Barrel on Broughton Street and then down to Easter Road for a street party.

On the Sunday, headed to my parents house for them to crack open some champagne before heading to Leith Links via the Hibs Club & Tesco on Leith Walk for another carry out.

You missed the 25 year old champagne story

we are hibs
07-04-2018, 05:18 PM
the only thing i remember was walking out Hampden and up the road and seeing every one looking shattered and shocked. From then till about Tuesday i can't remember a thing

calumhibee1
07-04-2018, 05:20 PM
Got home, went to the persevere, had a few drinks and went home. Was far too emotionally drained to stay out. Had a great day on the Sunday, but again, was far too emotionally drained to stay out late. An incredible weekend.

MSK
07-04-2018, 05:38 PM
Oddly enough I didn’t write down my feelings at the time because I didn’t want to analyse it and just wanted to keep on feeling the feeling. Then the danger is you have false memories. To put it into words somehow not being a wordsmith could never do it justice. It’s the emotions stirred .thats it how can you describe it as other than as close to perfection as it gets as a football fan? It’s so emmense it mainly only Hibbies can get it. No words need be spoken. Replay the footage and you’ve got a good roomful of Hibees in tears. Would almost seem bizarre to uninformed onlookers.I know how I felt before & seconds after that final whistle blew, most things after that were hazy, folk crying, folk of all ages, kids, elderly etc. Its when you look back on replays & see the emotions of the other 20,000 + we were all as one. We all left Hampden each with our own joyous memories, be it with friends, family or beloved no longer with us.

Standing at Leith links with my Wife & Daughters, we knew our late Father/Father inlaw/Grandad was standing beside us cheering our heroes

GordonHFC
07-04-2018, 05:40 PM
Bus back to City Centre, straight into Mathers. Kicked out by an ahole New Zealand barman for singing so straight to Scotts on Rose St. Rickshaw race to top of Leith Walk and into Pearces for a few hours.

Bostonhibby
07-04-2018, 06:09 PM
Taxi back to Edinburgh driven by a yam friend. He took it quite well. Was with just about everyone I'd been at all the other finals with, had near enough a full bottle of brandy acquired from hospitality and some beer.

Eventually got into the persevere. Walked about leith until about 2 in the morning when we went back to our hotel. Wrote 3-2 on the window of a blue BMW with RFC in the number plate.

Made arrangements to stay another day in Edinburgh then got to the top of the walk in time for the parade to start. Big group of us ended up on the links most of the day then various pubs until tea time when we did the 320 mile drive home straight through. Buzzing. One of the best weekends of our lives. Didn't go to bed until 3 am and started a new contract job at 8 in the morning. Breezed it!

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

grunt
07-04-2018, 06:18 PM
I know that this thread is about how we each celebrated the day, so I apologise for taking the thread slightly off topic.
But once again today on Off The Ball we had Archie McPherson and Chic Young reminiscing fondly about the Tartan Army wrecking Wembley after Scotland internationals in the 70s. The same BBC crowd who complained so loudly about Hibs fans on the park after the SC win, and which led to a year long police hunt for "those responsible".

Does my head in this BBC hypocrisy.

Hannah_hfc
07-04-2018, 06:22 PM
I had got a ticket by myself in one of the last batch of seats so from Sir David Grays header to leaving the ground I was crying and hugging strangers around me.

Outside the ground I remember the queues to buy a programme and I remember an older lady trying to squeeze in to buy one, gave the guy a tenner and took two and handed one to her before they all got sold.

The best memories are from the parade on Sunday, £200 bet winnings from the game all spent on a pub crawl around Leith and a carry out for the parade itself.

Class weekend, I’ll always remember it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MSK
07-04-2018, 06:26 PM
I had got a ticket by myself in one of the last batch of seats so from Sir David Grays header to leaving the ground I was crying and hugging strangers around me.

Outside the ground I remember the queues to buy a programme and I remember an older lady trying to squeeze in to buy one, gave the guy a tenner and took two and handed one to her before they all got sold.

The best memories are from the parade on Sunday, £200 bet winnings from the game all spent on a pub crawl around Leith and a carry out for the parade itself.

Class weekend, I’ll always remember it.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkExcellent, my one regret is not buying a programme ☹️

hibby6270
07-04-2018, 06:33 PM
It still feels like it was only ‘yesterday‘.

Honestly can’t remember how I got to Hampden - bus or train? (but see later comment)

Got to the ground and fans just seemed so relaxed about the whole occasion.

That early first goal. First time I’d seen us take the lead in the Scottish Cup Final. Immediate thought was - could it be - at last?

The half time lucky charm!! Mrs Hibby6270 spilt her Bovril. Had to go get another one. Missed first few minutes of second half. Still think today that little mishap had some bearing on result. Mental I know but I’m convinced it had something to do with it!!

Equaliser - there was a split second of eerie silence before 20,000+ Hibbys realised the ball had hit the net. Bedlam. Bedlam. It really could be on.

Cursing Stokes for flashing the ball so wide in the 91st minute without realising it was saved and another corner.

Liam took the corner. There was no ‘deliveeerrr’ (yet) for all of us who were there. The mass of bodies in the box. The ball hit someone, it was in the net and from the melee sprinted David Gray (hadn’t been knighted at that point) and by the time he ran past the corner flag my mind was scrambled more than a WW2 code going through Alan Turing’s Enigma Code Breaker at Bletchley.

To combat the scrambled brain I spontaneously burst into tears. Threw my arms round Mrs Hibby6270. Threw my arms round several strangers around about me. Then reality struck me. The game wasn’t over yet. This was Hibs. We could still do something really daft and throw it away. The next 2 minutes were a blur. Can’t recall what happened.

Then the final whistle. A virtual repeat of the previous paragraph, only this time the tears of joy didn’t stop for fully 5 minutes. Could I believe it? I asked somebody to pinch me to convince me I wasn’t dreaming. Bloody hell!! Hibs had just won the Holy Grail. Hibs had won the cup.

Now the only ‘regret’ of the day. Although I was there “when the Hibs went up to lift the Scottish Cup”, the chance to do the traditional lap of honour, group photo with the cup, streamers and confetti, etc was never allowed to take place. What did happen though did in a totally unconventional way make the day even more memorable. It was the pitch invasion to beat all pitch invasions. I didn’t take part. I was in the Upper Tier so not possible. If I’d been down lower, would I have? Even at my age I’d have been tempted.

The journey home by train. That means I must have got there by train!!
From Kings Park sat next to a guy carrying a plastic bag with what I thought were a couple of fish for his tea. Oh no it wasn’t. He proudly opened the bag and produced the biggest wad of turf I’d seen in a long time. Think I know where he might have got that.

Back in Edinburgh. On 22 bus going down Leith Walk and the scenes outside the Harp & Castle. A mass of green and white, bottles of beer, singing fans and the best of all - the persistent walking across the zebra crossing - meaning traffic was going nowhere and everyone in those lines of traffic were being given the message - HIBS HAD WON THE SCOTTISH CUP - GGTTH

And that’s just Saturday. Sunday was a whole different story.

Dashing Bob S
07-04-2018, 06:50 PM
Got home, went to the persevere, had a few drinks and went home. Was far too emotionally drained to stay out. Had a great day on the Sunday, but again, was far too emotionally drained to stay out late. An incredible weekend.

I was far too emotionally drained to go home. Must try to do this soon.

Babyshamble
07-04-2018, 06:50 PM
Had an accident at work day before.tried to keep me in overnight.signed myself out.went to the game.got smashed in my local when I got home.went to Leith links for the parade.smashed again.went back to hospital Monday morning for my operation.job done 👍

southsider
07-04-2018, 07:00 PM
the only thing i remember was walking out Hampden and up the road and seeing every one looking shattered and shocked. From then till about Tuesday i can't remember a thing

My g/f(now wife, we got married at ER). Lived in Glasgow. We got a bus into city center from Hampden. We got off the bus to have drinks when we saw about 100 the rangers animals looking for blood. Cab to hers at Bishopbriggs, co-op for champers, beer & vodka. Highlights on BBC. Party time and singing at the top of my voice. Never to be forgotten,

Sauzee16
07-04-2018, 07:07 PM
Asda after the game with the drum and the hill where both epic. Game wise it felt like time stood still when winner went in. Was on my best behaviour too.

Pretty Boy
07-04-2018, 07:27 PM
When Grays goals went in I went absolutely ballistic, hugged my Dad, hugged the guy next to me then pushed everyone out the way to get to my Mum who has taken me to ER for as long as I can remember. I then spent the next few minutes staring at the back of the stand with my head in my hands almost hyperventilating. With literally seconds to go the guy behind me grabbed me, spun me round and shouted ‘you don’t want to ****ing miss this mate’. It was probably about 10 seconds before Henderson ran away slightly prematurely. Immediately after the final whistle my legs were like jelly and I was numb, I just stood and stared straight ahead and it was a few minutes before I realised I was in tears.

The bus home and Saturday night was just a blur and I actually ended up home pretty early, I was just drained. I’d went expecting nothing and had had a few beers pre game, the emotion of all that then happened and a few more beers left me feeling strangely subdued. The Sunday was just amazing. Myself and Mrs PB got up early doors, Champagne breakfast then Harp & Castle for opening with a quick game of footy with a few guys who hadn’t been home thrown in. Went down to the Alhambra and had a couple in there before a carry out and down to the Links. Met my parents, Sister, Grandad and loads of mates and family friends and saw the sight of a Hibs team on an open top bus with the Scottish cup; it was quite honestly something I thought I’d never see. Went back to the Alhambra and drank until the Police called a halt late in the evening. I rounded off the night by going for a pint in my local which had a clientele of predominantly Hearts fans. Tbf to them every single one said congratulation, grudgingly or otherwise, because they knew what it meant. Rounded off the long weekend with a few beers in the Central and Robbies on the Monday.

It’s one of those weekends you probably can’t explain to someone who doesn’t ‘get’ football. I’ve invested a lot of money and a lot more emotion in Hibs over the years and finally all the defeats, the last minutes losses, the relegations, the cold Wednesday nights in one horse towns, the relationships that failed because I cared more about Hibs than my partners, the tears of heartbreak, the staying until the bitter end when 4-0 down and whatever other disappointment you can name suddenly made sense. It’s moments and days like that that keep us following football and it’s those emotions we dream of when things are at their worst. On my deathbed it’s that day I’ll recall with a smile rather than any of the bad times. Ultimately football is for the romantic because we all believe we’ll get the happy ending, Hibs got a happy ending and it might have sparked something even more special.

zitelli62
07-04-2018, 08:03 PM
Why have these threads I'm now bubbling all over again hope that never leaves me best weekend ever.

Sauzee16
07-04-2018, 08:19 PM
See the thing is for years and years I always thought it would be the greatest thing in my life ever but my son and daughter being born was.

I still know when I’m on my deathbed though I will close my eyes and sit and remember the whole of 210516. And there’s something major comforting about that. It’s something even mid thirties I had resigned myself to ever seeing. It was also the first time at a Final I had ever been near enough sober so I can remember it all.

🙏 thank you when sunshine on Leith came on and all I want to say the Scottish cup is in the bag meant everything to me.

Will anything ever beat that ever? That’s the hard part in watching football now. We will win the cup again and it will be amazing but it will never be that moment. The only way to describe it was like a bomb went off. I knew we had won that free kick though and everyone was ****ing themselves even the team moved towards their free kick.

I never knew who scored it but I still remember the ball smack the back of the net when the ball went in like there was a mic behind the goal and then “David Gray” came over the announce system.

Barman Stanton
07-04-2018, 08:43 PM
There is a thread on kickback where they are trying to convince each other Hibs are still hurting from the Cup final defeat. They don't seem to comprehend just how much the win meant to Hibs fans. It wiped out every hurt watching Hibs right away.

Strangely I partied a lot more after the League Cup win in 07. Had a few beers in our local after the match then headed home. Was absolutely emotionally drained. Was up nice and early though for the best party Leith has seen on the Sunday.

Sauzee16
07-04-2018, 08:55 PM
Yeah I headed home too, family had a wee party organised.

Can anyone recall the bagpiper on princes st tuning hibs songs as all the buses where coming in? Got off and felt on top of the world.

One Day Soon
07-04-2018, 09:04 PM
It triggered the most uncontrollable emotional response of my life. It still does. Reading posts on this thread brings tears to my eyes.

That night and the next day were perfect. No-one can ever take it away from us and the fact that fans from the rest of the football world have since started to appreciate the depth of emotion from watching us singing Sunshine on Leith just adds to the romance and joy of the tale in all its telling.

I'm even glad of the pitch invasion now. I wasn't at the time as I watched it all from the stand waiting for the cup presentation. What I realise now is that it was no ordinary cup final and marking the final act of that 114 year pilgrimage with an invasion of the pitch was actually fitting. It was a story much bigger than sitting politely applauding and cheering. It was an eruption of emotional release after lifetimes of longing and denial. Of course the pitch was invaded, it was meant to be. It was wrong to do it, but it was also right because every single thing about that day and what led to it and what followed it was about breaking the rules, ending the conventional and rewriting history.

My heart was broken, but after 21 May 2016 it forever wasn't. Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you.

Ryan91
07-04-2018, 09:09 PM
I was in the upper tier of the South, on the East stand side of the corner flag, absolutely cracking seats, and perfect for the view of SDG's Goal.

I'm fairly certain that I was like many others, unable to quite comprehend what was happening. Was it real? Was it actually happening? Had we really just scored in the dying minutes of the Scottish Cup final to take the lead or was I dreaming?

I remember hugging my Dad, my two uncles, my sister, my cousin and my Dad's cousin (over from Oz) after the final whistle, recall some tears from my uncles.

I remember greeting during Sunshine on Leith.

I remember being in the Victoria pub on Leith Walk that night and the final song the DJ played before closing was Sunshine on Leith, my Dad shed a few tears, likely thinking about his Dad (my Grandad) who never got to see us do it, I think I may have had a few tears in my eyes too tbh.

Also recall the staff at the Victoria pub having a go at some fans for wearing scarves openly, which was apparently against their rules. Some folk politely reminded them that the pub was full of celebrating Hibs fans, and if they wanted to remove everyone from the pub, they were more than welcome to do so.

The day after I just recall drinking on Leith Walk, the glorious sunshine and the party atmosphere. The celebration on The Links and the drum banging away on what we now call "Hanlon Hill"

Those 36 hours were magic and even after it all settled, I still kept thinking that it was all some wonderful dream that I was about to wake up from and find that the final was still hours away.

Glory Lurker
07-04-2018, 10:13 PM
the only thing i remember was walking out Hampden and up the road and seeing every one looking shattered and shocked. g

It wouldn’t surprise me if non-fitba folk driving along Aikenhead Road might have wondered if we’d lost. Our lot in the car were in a daze, and we commented on the road back that the buses we past weren’t jumping (reckoning they felt the same as us). Expected scenes when we got back and took the car down ER. No real sign of anything. Hit the pubs. Lots of joy about, but overall still pretty subdued. As I remember it, at about 10 it finally sunk in for everybody. The next 24 hours, man...

CLASS OF 72 -73
07-04-2018, 10:44 PM
Went to the final with my two brothers and my son. We all cried like babies at the final whistle like many others and experienced an emotion and elation I will never forget. Prior to the winning goal I remember having heart palpitations that were so strong I genuinely felt I may be on the way to having a heart attack if i could not calm down. I could feel my heart pumping out my chest after Stokes scored and worried what could happen if we got the winning goal and we did. (I made it :)

I had been at the 1972 final as a 13 year old with my older brother and and prior to that glorious day in 2016 I caught us on the You tube video at that final after Dixie Deans scored their second goal and how sad the two of us looked among so many Celtic fans (mixed then). I later met Dixie in Johannesburg at a Celtic gathering in the late eighties and told him how he messed up my footballing childhood and could not forgive the wee sh'''t but had a drink or two and a good evening where he admitted Hibs were a great side and we really just froze on the day. I traveled from Africa for the 2001 and was here for the 2012 and 2013 losses so 2016 became my happiest time in football. I met Pat Stanton with his grandson walking up to the stadium and knew it had to be our day. It was ---GGTTH

IberianHibernian
07-04-2018, 10:49 PM
It wouldn’t surprise me if non-fitba folk driving along Aikenhead Road might have wondered if we’d lost. Our lot in the car were in a daze, and we commented on the road back that the buses we past weren’t jumping (reckoning they felt the same as us). Expected scenes when we got back and took the car down ER. No real sign of anything. Hit the pubs. Lots of joy about, but overall still pretty subdued. As I remember it, at about 10 it finally sunk in for everybody. The next 24 hours, man...Agree . Long wait for cup presentation obviously didn`t help but atmosphere outside Hampden after match wasn`t anything special likewise on train or in centre of Edinburgh after ( in 2012 I was in centre of Edinburgh and it was the same fortunately with no sign of an Edinburgh club having won the cup ) . Videos of our end after full time show lots of people looking at their phones but not much uncontrolled euphoria . Lots of reasons for that ( disbelief , long wait after pitch invasion , large number of neutrals who end up at finals , character of people , pre match drinks worn off etc etc ) but still unforgettable occasion and next day great too .

The Pointer
08-04-2018, 12:27 AM
I've said to my daughter to remember it from where she was in the stands, not from what she's seen on television or on videos online, and that's quite hard. We all had our own vantage points of the various goals and we should concentrate on these memories, how we reacted and who was around us.

Pedantic_Hibee
08-04-2018, 01:17 AM
Until the day I die, I'll never ever forget that weekend, despite the fact I hardly remember any of it.

zitelli62
08-04-2018, 01:43 AM
Sat next to a big guy who I can only describe as being like a bear (not one of that lot) he never said a word all game even when we scored as the ref blew for full time he hugged me so hard I thought I was going to die thankfully he eventually let go and I could breath again and he was great afterwards that's why that win is so special it brought everyone together will never have another day like that again just glad I was there to enjoy it.

Haymaker
08-04-2018, 01:51 AM
I was completely drained emotionally but got involved with a carry out and party on Leith walk until the Polis turned up :greengrin

Ended up having a ton of beer in the supporters club with some Dot Net Chatbox Mafioso and others.

Sunday I spent with my dad at the parade, chugging random bottles of whisky.

What a weekend.

Austinho
08-04-2018, 04:34 AM
Most of it is a blur. Partly down to jet lag, partly euphoria, partly booze.

I flew back from the very south of New Zealand, via a multitude of countries, (was a last minute decision, so direct flights weren’t cheap). I genuinely don’t think there’s a football fan on this planet who has ever travelled as far or a long for any match as I did in May 2016. I hitchhiked, got a bus, 4 planes, a train, a car ride and travelled through 5 different countries to get to Hampden. I didn’t even have a ticket secured for the game when I set off. I got it on general sale while in mid air on flight no.1 (thank you Emirates for the WiFi!). I even got escorted off the plane by security because my booking was going through after every passenger had already unboarded in Sydney.

I surprised my parents - they had no idea I was coming home. If I’d got a ticket with my dad, I’d have shown up at his seat in Hampden to surprise him.

My favourite memory was pre match. As soon as ‘I’m On My Way’ was played, the Hibees went wild and I knew we were up for it.

I went wild for Stokes early goal. I was actually emotionless for his equaliser - I thought we were still going to ‘Hibs it’. I have no recollection of David Gray’s goal.

The pitch invasion meant I was reunited with my dad. I was able to leave my seat in the East and find him in the south, just in time to sing Sunshine on Leith together. It was like fate.

My family don’t live in Edinburgh, so we went back down to England that night and back up again for the parade the next day. I missed the last train and woke up on my ex-girlfriends sofa. Oops.

I was due to start a new job in Sydney in July. Instead, I managed to delay it by telling them I had a wedding to go to, when in fact I was off to watch us in Copenhagen instead. An impromptu trip ended up being a worldwide adventure, a fairytale ending and a nice big European party to end it all.

Beat that ;)

Viva_Palmeiras
08-04-2018, 04:50 AM
Most of it is a blur. Partly down to jet lag, partly euphoria, partly booze.

I flew back from the very south of New Zealand, via a multitude of countries, (was a last minute decision, so direct flights weren’t cheap). I genuinely don’t think there’s a football fan on this planet who has ever travelled as far or a long for any match as I did in May 2016. I hitchhiked, got a bus, 4 planes, a train, a car ride and travelled through 5 different countries to get to Hampden. I didn’t even have a ticket secured for the game when I set off. I got it on general sale while in mid air on flight no.1 (thank you Emirates for the WiFi!). I even got escorted off the plane by security because my booking was going through after every passenger had already unboarded in Sydney.

I surprised my parents - they had no idea I was coming home. If I’d got a ticket with my dad, I’d have shown up at his seat in Hampden to surprise him.

My favourite memory was pre match. As soon as ‘I’m On My Way’ was played, the Hibees went wild and I knew we were up for it.

I went wild for Stokes early goal. I was actually emotionless for his equaliser - I thought we were still going to ‘Hibs it’. I have no recollection of David Gray’s goal.

The pitch invasion meant I was reunited with my dad. I was able to leave my seat in the East and find him in the south, just in time to sing Sunshine on Leith together. It was like fate.

My family don’t live in Edinburgh, so we went back down to England that night and back up again for the parade the next day. I missed the last train and woke up on my ex-girlfriends sofa. Oops.

I was due to start a new job in Sydney in July. Instead, I managed to delay it by telling them I had a wedding to go to, when in fact I was off to watch us in Copenhagen instead. An impromptu trip ended up being a worldwide adventure, a fairytale ending and a nice big European party to end it all.

Beat that ;)

Its to funny but I believe “I’m on my way” set the tone and eased the nerves. In comparison to the lacklustre Penny Arcaade (wtf?) there was a huge contrast. Another Hibby strand running through the day culminating in SOL

InchHibby
08-04-2018, 07:49 AM
It’s a day I’ll never forget, but like many others, some of it is a complete blur.
I remember getting on our bus early doors, having a couple of well hidden drinks then arriving at the pub we pre booked.
We arrived at the ground to soak up the atmosphere, but strangely, never felt nervous thinking, we have already achieved a lot by getting there and beating the hertz on the way made it all that sweeter.
Then the teams came out and that’s when it hit me, the nerves took over from there.
Stokes scored and after the jubilation died down I remember thinking, oh no have we scored to early, I’ve been here before.
But the way we were playing was different to any other final I had been too, there was a belief there amongst the team and it sort of quietly spread to the fans.
Even when they went into the lead I had this overwhelming feeling we’d do it. The equaliser came and that feeling got stronger but nothing compared or prepared me for the feelings to come.
Sir David scored and at that moment I had never had emotions of that sort go through my body, but when the final whistle went, those emotions went to another level, I thought I was going to have a heart attack, every single person around me was crying, hugging and asking if this really was happening.
I like so many on here have kids and the feelings I had when they were born will never be forgotten, but this was a different type of feeling, this was a pent up feeling that had seen so many disappointments in the past, so many references to us not winning it in 114 years, so many they’ve hibsed it again taunts, the ribbing we took after the defeat against our rivals, all this just dissolved in an instant, taking over by sheer relief and just repeating, we did it.
Then the thoughts of all the loved ones that supported the team and passed away without seeing us do it, at that moment it felt like they were all there.
The journey home was strangely subdued until we arrived home in Edinburgh, then it kicked and it’s after that it becomes a blur.
My only regret is that I was going on Holiday the following day, never would I have booked cup final day always thinking we may get there, but why didn’t I book it for the Monday, I think that’s the Hibs in me, always thinking well we’re there but at least we’ll have a good day.
I’ll never forget what I remember of that day until I leave this earth. GGTTH

we are hibs
08-04-2018, 09:36 AM
It wouldn’t surprise me if non-fitba folk driving along Aikenhead Road might have wondered if we’d lost. Our lot in the car were in a daze, and we commented on the road back that the buses we past weren’t jumping (reckoning they felt the same as us). Expected scenes when we got back and took the car down ER. No real sign of anything. Hit the pubs. Lots of joy about, but overall still pretty subdued. As I remember it, at about 10 it finally sunk in for everybody. The next 24 hours, man...

Funnily enough i remember it being the same in 2007. Think people were shocked both times, the 2007 one because of the style we won it in considering Kilmarnock were level in the table with us at the time and 2016 because people didn't think it would ever happen. I have to say when Falkirk beat us 1-0 the season before at Hampden i resigned myself to never seeing it happen.