PDA

View Full Version : Dumbarton v Hibs, 33 Years Ago Today

Bishop Hibee
06-04-2018, 03:27 PM
“On This Day In History 1985, Hibs in a relegation battle with Dumbarton, went through to Dumbarton, and won 2-0 thanks to goals from Willie Irvine & Brian Rice. Team: Rough, Sneddon, Munro, Kane, Rae, Brazil, Callaghan, Durie, Irvine, Rice & McBride.
Sub used: Jamieson”

From ‘Inside Easter Road’ on Twitter. Big Hibs support there including my good self. The club paid for coaches through to the game. Rough, Rice and Durie would get in the current side but with a mixture of players who were frankly past it and youngsters you could see why we were in relegation bother. Struggles like that season make the good times at present all the sweeter.

nomad
06-04-2018, 03:32 PM
Remember that day we’ll. bus broke down on M8 on way managed to get on another. The pitch was murder

Mr White
06-04-2018, 03:33 PM
Did Erich Schaedler play for Dumbarton that day?

BonnieFitbaTeam
06-04-2018, 03:43 PM
Our bus driver got lost and we found ourselves on the dual carriageway on the opposite side of the Clyde. As a result we got there at half time so missed both the goals. Wisnae happy!

Smartie
06-04-2018, 03:46 PM
“On This Day In History 1985, Hibs in a relegation battle with Dumbarton, went through to Dumbarton, and won 2-0 thanks to goals from Willie Irvine & Brian Rice. Team: Rough, Sneddon, Munro, Kane, Rae, Brazil, Callaghan, Durie, Irvine, Rice & McBride.

From ‘Inside Easter Road’ on Twitter. Big Hibs support there including my good self. The club paid for coaches through to the game. Rough, Rice and Durie would get in the current side but with a mixture of players who were frankly past it and youngsters you could see why we were in relegation bother. Struggles like that season make the good times at present all the sweeter.

Obviously this was a bit before my time, but I look at that team and wonder how they were in a relegation battle with Dumbarton?

There are players in there who I know a bit about and believe to have been excellent players, several more who are respected solid pros, a couple of old heads and some youngsters who went on to have superb careers.

What was going on?

Not a Rowan Vine or an Owain Tudor-Jones in sight.

King Cosell
06-04-2018, 03:49 PM
Club ran a fleet of buses to that, 50p a head! Mate nipped off for pies before HT and missed both goals. Great days.

allezsauzee
06-04-2018, 03:53 PM
That team was a bit hot and cold. I'm pretty certain we won at ibrox and Parkhead that season but dropped points at home to Dumbarton and Clydebank. Durie was still a bit young and raw at that stage and I don't think it was until the next season that he really kicked on as a player. Kano would only be 17/18 and even Brian Rice wasn't that experienced at that point.

HIBERNIAN-0762
06-04-2018, 05:58 PM
I was there, excellent support considering, the old Dumbarton ground Boghead certainly lived up to it's name :rolleyes:

Saturday Boy
06-04-2018, 06:07 PM
I was there, excellent support considering, the old Dumbarton ground Boghead certainly lived up to it's name :rolleyes:

Don’t you mean “lived down” 😉

G B Young

I recall being at a home game v Dumbarton a couple of months earlier when we won (I think) 3-1 and a very young Mickey Weir made a big impact. Was he injured for the game at Dumbarton I wonder?

Liberal Hibby
I was there with the old man - we drove through and parked in some bungalow lined suburban streets which seemed totally inappropriate place to site a football ground. We walked round the corner into a cul-de-sac and there in a hedge at the end was Boghead.

weecounty hibby
06-04-2018, 06:22 PM
I got the train from Stirling. The journey home was chaos, the huns were playing Aberdeen at Ibrox that day and I’m sure Celtic were playing St Mirren or someone else close to the Weedge. Station was pandemonium and the police were struggling badly to keep everyone apart. Mental to think we struggled to avoid being relegated. I’m sure in the weeks after that game we won at Ibrox and Parkhead

Iggy Pope
06-04-2018, 06:25 PM
Me and my mate Stevie missed it, but it's etched in the memory......we were part of the yearly Hibs Club Darts trip to New Tredegar in Wales.
Some characters that older Hibs Club members might recall. Peter Moran, Devil, Jimmy Corrigan, Tam Murray, Ronnie Williamson.
A local bookies runner came into the Miners Club that morning and big Moran squeezed great odds out of him on a single for Hibs which we all lumped on. Fair play to the man - came back and paid up. We got blootered in a Merthyr Tydfill nightclub on the proceeds.

One of my favourite not following Hibs stories.

Ilovehibs
06-04-2018, 06:32 PM
Scary that 33 years have passed since that day. Starting to feel quite old! Was a magic day out and some crazy Hibbies were in the crowd on that old terracing.

WoreTheGreen
06-04-2018, 06:36 PM
Me and my mate Stevie missed it, but it's etched in the memory......we were part of the yearly Hibs Club Darts trip to New Tredegar in Wales.
Some characters that older Hibs Club members might recall. Peter Moran, Devil, Jimmy Corrigan, Tam Murray, Ronnie Williamson.
A local bookies runner came into the Miners Club that morning and big Moran squeezed great odds out of him on a single for Hibs which we all lumped on. Fair play to the man - came back and paid up. We got blootered in a Merthyr Tydfill nightclub on the proceeds.

Devil still sporting his wrangler jakit?

Iggy Pope
06-04-2018, 06:37 PM
Devil still sporting his wrangler jakit?

It was warm. Might've had the cutaway on over his Maiden shirt.

WoreTheGreen
06-04-2018, 06:44 PM
It was warm. Might've had the cutaway on over his Maiden shirt.

Makes you wonder how jaeger / smiths arena shut doon and my son always thought Ronnie looked a Bee Gee

Iggy Pope
06-04-2018, 06:48 PM
Makes you wonder how jaeger / smiths arena shut doon and my son always thought Ronnie looked a Bee Gee

Think he fancied himself more as Peter Nicholas, Just Good Friends era :greengrin

Would I know your boy?

WoreTheGreen
06-04-2018, 06:51 PM
Might know b. Milne d. Horn etc

Kato
06-04-2018, 06:52 PM
Scary that 33 years have passed since that day. Starting to feel quite old! Was a magic day out and some crazy Hibbies were in the crowd on that old terracing.

Exactly my memories, had a complete hoot that day.

Iggy Pope
06-04-2018, 06:53 PM
Might know b. Milne d. Horn etc

Billy posts on here on occasion.

WoreTheGreen
06-04-2018, 06:58 PM
Pal for years done the Belgium trips x2 along with many others .My son outed me on the thread ex players / players who post on here

Iggy Pope
06-04-2018, 06:59 PM
Pal for years done the Belgium trips x2 along with many others .My son outed me on the thread ex players / players who post on here

Missed that. Your anonymity is sound here!

Edit: Or it was. Nice photo.

WoreTheGreen
06-04-2018, 07:10 PM
Missed that. Your anonymity is sound here!

Edit: Or it was. Nice photo.

That was many lagers ago

wearehibernian
06-04-2018, 08:09 PM
Jeez, 33 years ago! Remember it quite well. You could still walk all the way round the ground too, or did I imagine that?. Because there was no real segregation I strangely remember folk singing Joe 90 at a Dumbarton fan (poor guy) and feeling sorry for him because I have a lot respect for people that support the wee clubs. Was a big game though and a really big support we took through.

Ilovehibs
06-04-2018, 08:29 PM
Exactly my memories, had a complete hoot that day.

You're right there. Dunno if Im imagining this but the goalie Robin Rae was in the Hibs end going absolutely mental. Such memories eh!

wookie70
06-04-2018, 09:39 PM
A very well named ground. I was there too and a real relief of a result

Cardinal Hibernian
06-04-2018, 10:46 PM
Scary that 33 years have passed since that day. Starting to feel quite old! Was a magic day out and some crazy Hibbies were in the crowd on that old terracing.Scary - it's absolutely frightening 33 years have passed by that quickly!!!

2051 anyone?

I am convinced there is some radge who has put a massive heavy brick on the accelerator of time and speeding things up ...

The big result a few weeks previous was a Kano goal at Celtc Park (note the correct spelling!) in a one nil win.

Seem to remember the club pushing a "Coming alive in '85" motto and a Hibs Club 85 at the time?

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Forza Fred
07-04-2018, 02:55 AM

Memories!

Had emigrated 11 years earlier.....but Ronnie Williamson, who I also played fitba with and peter Moran were mates from the Hibsclub, and Tam Murray was certainly well known in the darts room in the mid 70’s..as was Willie Penny.

Actually took a day off work once to travel through to Boghead with Ronnie Ferguson to see Hibs midweek circa 73 or 74.when we got there the game had been postponed due to flooding.

Nearest Got to seeing the Hibs at Boghead.

erin go bragh
07-04-2018, 10:58 AM
33 years 👀 Went on the Shades bar bus . Met my big mate at the game and introduced him to Mickey Weir ( who was injured at the time ) He came on the bus with us as his wee brother Tubby also traveled on the Shades bar bus . My mates face was a picture.

Scorrie
07-04-2018, 11:05 AM
Mind getting an overnight National Express bus from Devon to Edinburgh the night before and then straight onto one of the free buses from ER to Dumbarton. A radge day out that was but great fun

Nakedmanoncrack
07-04-2018, 02:24 PM
I recall being at a home game v Dumbarton a couple of months earlier when we won (I think) 3-1 and a very young Mickey Weir made a big impact. Was he injured for the game at Dumbarton I wonder?

Micky also made his league debut in the earlier 3-2 home loss to Dumbarton that season.