PDA

View Full Version : Jamie Maclaren

1van Sprou7e
06-04-2018, 08:18 AM
Great article in the EEN about Jamie, seems to be really enjoying life at Hibs and is open to staying. Unfortunately the ball is not really in our park but encouraging signs nonetheless

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/jamie-maclaren-i-d-like-to-stay-at-hibs-but-darmstadt-hold-aces-1-4719508

Also another good article here about his relationship with Kamberi. Seems like they get on well off the field as well as on so that's certainly a good thing for us.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/german-connection-has-jamie-maclaren-and-florian-kamberi-firing-for-hibs-1-4719515

Would love it if we can keep these guys, both likeable and seemingly very humble as well as being great players of course

Bostonhibby
06-04-2018, 08:25 AM
Great article in the EEN about Jamie, seems to be really enjoying life at Hibs and is open to staying. Unfortunately the ball is not really in our park but encouraging signs nonetheless

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/jamie-maclaren-i-d-like-to-stay-at-hibs-but-darmstadt-hold-aces-1-4719508

Also another good article here about his relationship with Kamberi. Seems like they get on well off the field as well as on so that's certainly a good thing for us.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/german-connection-has-jamie-maclaren-and-florian-kamberi-firing-for-hibs-1-4719515

Would love it if we can keep these guys, both likeable and seemingly very humble as well as being great players of courseYep, both very good signings. Credit to whoever got them to the club.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

06-04-2018, 08:48 AM

Would love it if we can keep these guys, both likeable and seemingly very humble as well as being great players of course

Agree, would love us to keep both of them. Would like to see us exercise the Kamberi option asap even if there's no immediate need to decide. If we get Kamberi onto a permanent contract it might help with getting Maclaren's and other's situations sorted sooner rather than later.

NORTHERNHIBBY
06-04-2018, 09:27 AM
I suppose that there will be stuff to sort out with Jamie's club in Germany but if he is a high earner there and they drop down a league, they could equally be looking to offload as opposed to cash in?

06-04-2018, 09:31 AM
I suppose that there will be stuff to sort out with Jamie's club in Germany but if he is a high earner there and they drop down a league, they could equally be looking to offload as opposed to cash in?

That's what I'm hoping for, I'll be looking out for their result from now until the end of the season.

Squirrel 1875
06-04-2018, 10:13 AM
He’s a decent player, I’m still yet to be convinced that he offers more than Simon Murray.

Always great to hear that the lad is loving it here and is forming a great partnership with Kamberi though.

BSEJVT
06-04-2018, 10:26 AM
I am also yet to be convinced he is the long term solution but he is a substantial upgrade on Simon Murray.

Simon was a lovely guy, who loved being at Hibs and tried like a bear but at times contributed absolutely nothing and had fallen behind Oli in the pecking order.

Sadly there is no way Simon is a top 6 SPL footballer and whilst I wish him every success I doubt very much it will be with Hibs.

He has neither the control nor game intelligence to make that happen.

Michael
06-04-2018, 10:29 AM
Not the most technical, but has shown good football intelligence which I think we have lacked for a long time upfront.

GoalsMcGinley
06-04-2018, 10:56 AM
His movement is brilliant. Penalty of striker that we lacked. 1 in every 3 is a ratio that is very decent. Long may it continue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Captain Trips
06-04-2018, 11:01 AM
I would be delighted to have Jamie, Flo and Murray on the books.

Would you swap Jamie for Simon I guess is the question and I as yet cannot answer that. Simon Murrays attitude at the club has been exemplary always giving his best.

Even if told we were to swap Simon for Ronaldo I would still be sad to lose him simply based on the guys effort.

Jamie also looks like he is determined to score every week. Great position the club is in just now to be able to debate these types of players merits.

IGRIGI
06-04-2018, 11:03 AM
I'd like to see Murray given a chance to partner Kamberi as I think he'd suit that position (competing with Maclaren for that place).

Smartie
06-04-2018, 11:09 AM
I am also yet to be convinced he is the long term solution but he is a substantial upgrade on Simon Murray.

Simon was a lovely guy, who loved being at Hibs and tried like a bear but at times contributed absolutely nothing and had fallen behind Oli in the pecking order.

Sadly there is no way Simon is a top 6 SPL footballer and whilst I wish him every success I doubt very much it will be with Hibs.

He has neither the control nor game intelligence to make that happen.

He doesn't have those things yet.

I wouldn't write Murray off right now. He's not that young, but he is relatively inexperienced and has something about him.

I think he'll return from Dundee a better player. He needs games, he needs to be playing football and he'll get regular top level football for 5 months at Dundee that he wouldn't have got here.

If he can make a few tweaks to his game, I still think there is potentially a cracking player in there.

There was quite a lot wrong with our play in the final third during the first half of the season - but it might be interesting to see how Murray would get on feeding off through balls from Scott Allan and with Kamberi up there beside him.

FifeHibs
06-04-2018, 11:18 AM
Simon Murray unfortunately does not have the technical ability, whilst that being controlling a pass or making intelligent runs, that Hibs require to push for 2nd place this season and beyond.
The work ethic shown by him was phenomenal at the beginning of the season although this seemed lacking before he left.
Olly Shaw has more natural ability and would like to see him develop into a great striker.

06-04-2018, 11:23 AM

Would you swap Jamie for Simon I guess is the question and I as yet cannot answer that. Simon Murrays attitude at the club has been exemplary always giving his best.

Even if told we were to swap Simon for Ronaldo I would still be sad to lose him simply based on the guys effort.

Jamie also looks like he is determined to score every week. Great position the club is in just now to be able to debate these types of players merits.

Yes I'd swap Maclaren for Murray. That's not to say I don't like Murray, I just like Maclaren more. I think Maclaren is a better finisher, okay he has missed a couple of chances, as all strikers do, but he usually hits the target and forces the keeper to make a save. Murray has missed the occasional sitter which I think Maclaren would have put away. The 2-1 defeat by Rangers at ER being an example where the cross came in from the right and Murray went for it with his right foot when he should have used his left.

Hibee Mac
06-04-2018, 11:31 AM
Maclaren's link up play is night and day compared to Simon Murray. Not sure if people realise the contribution he makes linking up with Flo and Allan.

I really like Murray as a person but I have to say I'll be very disappointed if he is on the books over Maclaren next season.

Ozyhibby
06-04-2018, 11:35 AM
Murray won’t be at Hibs next season.

Drewster
06-04-2018, 11:45 AM
Simon Murray unfortunately does not have the technical ability, whilst that being controlling a pass or making intelligent runs, that Hibs require to push for 2nd place this season and beyond.
The work ethic shown by him was phenomenal at the beginning of the season although this seemed lacking before he left.
Olly Shaw has more natural ability and would like to see him develop into a great striker.

I think this is harsh assessment - Simon’s touch and movement was excellent at the beginning of the season. He never played as a genuine 2 upfront, and he was badly affected by Stokes!

Centre Hawf
06-04-2018, 12:32 PM
I don’t dislike Murray. I admire his tenacity and work rate. But he isn’t good enough for where we want to be as a club sadly. If he wants to stay and fight then fair play. But I know who gets in my team atm and he isn’t one of them.

blackpoolhibs
06-04-2018, 12:38 PM
I don’t dislike Murray. I admire his tenacity and work rate. But he isn’t good enough for where we want to be as a club sadly. If he wants to stay and fight then fair play. But I know who gets in my team atm and he isn’t one of them.

We need more than 11 players, and with suspensions and injuries we need a strong squad. If we could get players better than Murray on the bench, then i'm all for it.

Stuart93
06-04-2018, 12:39 PM
He’s a decent player, I’m still yet to be convinced that he offers more than Simon Murray.

Always great to hear that the lad is loving it here and is forming a great partnership with Kamberi though.

How many times did we put crosses into the box and there was no strikers near the ball in the first half of the season?

Maclaren always seems to be there or there abouts, he actually plays as a striker.

eastmainsmsh
06-04-2018, 12:50 PM
Mclaren and Kamberi must be kept id use any money if Mcginn goes towards keeping them if possible

1van Sprou7e
06-04-2018, 12:51 PM
I did like Murray but his movement was usually very poor, running about like a headless chicken when compared to Maclaren

we are hibs
06-04-2018, 01:10 PM
I think when Scott Allan is at his best, MacLaren will be. Likewise with Boyle. those 3 if they play to their potential we will finish 2nd imo

FifeHibs
06-04-2018, 01:21 PM
I think this is harsh assessment - Simon’s touch and movement was excellent at the beginning of the season. He never played as a genuine 2 upfront, and he was badly affected by Stokes!

I thought Simon looked good in the cup, his pace created allot of chances. At the start of the season he looked good and worked very hard. As the season progressed the his control and game mangagement wasn't particularly great for someone playing in a team planting to finish 2nd.
Maybe partnersing Stonkes never halped

Mr_F
06-04-2018, 01:57 PM

Stop it eh

McD
06-04-2018, 02:02 PM

Remember when we were enduring the likes of Collins and vine, how the times have changed for the better :greengrin

1van Sprou7e
06-04-2018, 02:05 PM
In an ideal world next season I'd have Kamberi, Maclaren, Shaw and another player who can hold the ball up as back up

I really want Murray to succeed but I think he's too similar to Jamie and Oli and wouldn't want him to hamper the matter's development

Barman Stanton
06-04-2018, 02:10 PM
Stop it eh

In fairness Ronaldo is now 41 and pretty overweight.

Deansy
06-04-2018, 02:40 PM
I'd like to see Murray still getting a chance, if he could work on his technical side in the close-season, with his attitude and determination we'd have some player !. Look at the difference in Boyle this season, he has to be the most-improved player at ER !

eastcoasthibby
06-04-2018, 04:27 PM
I don't think Murray is at the right level of quality that we need to progress, did well for us in thecup and odd occassion but he just doesnt have the right overall game intelligence nor is clinical enough for where we want to go as a club/team.

Centre Hawf
06-04-2018, 04:29 PM
We need more than 11 players, and with suspensions and injuries we need a strong squad. If we could get players better than Murray on the bench, then i'm all for it.

I agree, but for me he's even behind Shaw in the pecking order and look how little time he's been getting recently. Simon Murray would struggle imo.

brog
06-04-2018, 04:35 PM
It's not really possible to accurately compare Murray & McLaren. Simon was playing up front pretty much on his own with Stokes usually detached or out wide. Jamie is playing off a strong, mobile intelligent striker who is creating space for his partner. I very much doubt that Jamie could do the role that was asked of Simon but I believe Simon could do the role that Jamie is currently filling. Personally I'd be delighted to see both at ER next season.

blackpoolhibs
06-04-2018, 04:37 PM
I agree, but for me he's even behind Shaw in the pecking order and look how little time he's been getting recently. Simon Murray would struggle imo.

I doubt it very much, that we'd have got Scott Allan in if we'd offered Ollie Shaw as part of the deal.

Is it 16 goals Murray has Scored this season, he got those goals because he was picked before Shaw.

We need more than 3 forwards anyway.

Captain Trips
06-04-2018, 04:49 PM
Stop it eh

Whit, there is no comparison in the 2 of them I would be sad losing a really decent genuine player regardless of the caliber of replacement.

Souter96Mac
06-04-2018, 04:59 PM
In an ideal world next season I'd have Kamberi, Maclaren, Shaw and another player who can hold the ball up as back up

I really want Murray to succeed but I think he's too similar to Jamie and Oli and wouldn't want him to hamper the 'matter's' development
Is this Kamberi's new Swiss nickname?

1van Sprou7e
06-04-2018, 05:03 PM
Is this Kamberi's new Swiss nickname?

I know you're joking but it was supposed to say "latter" :greengrin

06-04-2018, 05:04 PM

What bollocks. Simon Murray will never come close to the level of Stokes.

Lago
06-04-2018, 05:59 PM
Murray won’t be at Hibs next season.

Neither will MacLaren.

Callum_62
06-04-2018, 06:10 PM
Neither will MacLaren.

why so sure?

SquashedFrogg
06-04-2018, 06:16 PM
Maclaren's link up play is night and day compared to Simon Murray. Not sure if people realise the contribution he makes linking up with Flo and Allan.

I really like Murray as a person but I have to say I'll be very disappointed if he is on the books over Maclaren next season.

This for me. MacLaren's an excellent foil for Flo and his runs/movement are a big part of what's happening.

Would be delighted with those 2 on perm deals.

SquashedFrogg
06-04-2018, 06:17 PM
Neither will MacLaren.

Keen to know why.

Aim Here
06-04-2018, 06:21 PM
Keen to know why.

Possibly because Darmstadt will want to keep him if he does well over the next 2 or 3 months, and neither Hibs nor Jamie have that much say in the matter.

Lago
06-04-2018, 06:29 PM
why so sure?
Purely based on his circumstances, under contract with an almost certainly better salary. Starting to play well & scoring which will either result in his return to Germany or a better offer from, lets say a English Championship team.

SquashedFrogg
06-04-2018, 06:30 PM
Possibly because Darmstadt will want to keep him if he does well over the next 2 or 3 months, and neither Hibs nor Jamie have that much say in the matter.

Sure, I understand the dynamics make it difficult. Just keen to know why op stayed he won't be here as a matter of fact.

SquashedFrogg
06-04-2018, 06:40 PM
Purely based on his circumstances, under contract with an almost certainly better salary. Starting to play well & scoring which will either result in his return to Germany or a better offer from, lets say a English Championship team.

Fair enough but I guess we don't know anything for sure. If we don't get him (assuming we want him) this window demonstrates the club can find wee gems out there.

It's funny listening to that lot across the road pipe up each day about their 'plans' for next season. Desperately trying to reassure everyone that it'll all be ok.

I suspect we are doing lots of work behind the scenes without waffling p*sh in the press.

Love our club so much....

Drewster
06-04-2018, 06:43 PM

I was clearly not comparing Stokes ability with Simon Murray - Stokes is no longer playing for Hibs because of his influence on young players......and in my opinion Murray’s form began to dip when Sokes arrived?

I hope Simon proves people wrong, and he is in fact good enough to be
one 4 strikers in our squad next season.
of

Borderhibbie76
06-04-2018, 07:11 PM
Purely based on his circumstances, under contract with an almost certainly better salary. Starting to play well & scoring which will either result in his return to Germany or a better offer from, lets say a English Championship team.He's good mate but not anywhere near English Championship level imo...I think there's a decent chance he will be here
He clearly wants to stay and players tend to get their own way in such matters...tho money will most deffo be a factor

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Lago
06-04-2018, 08:22 PM
Fair enough but I guess we don't know anything for sure. If we don't get him (assuming we want him) this window demonstrates the club can find wee gems out there.

It's funny listening to that lot across the road pipe up each day about their 'plans' for next season. Desperately trying to reassure everyone that it'll all be ok.

I suspect we are doing lots of work behind the scenes without waffling p*sh in the press.

Love our club so much....
Totally agree.:thumbsup:

Lago
06-04-2018, 08:25 PM
He's good mate but not anywhere near English Championship level imo...I think there's a decent chance he will be here
He clearly wants to stay and players tend to get their own way in such matters...tho money will most deffo be a factor

Perhaps, although the other point I forgot to make is that if, big if, he makes the OZ world cup squad it completely changes the dynamic.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
06-04-2018, 08:33 PM
He's good mate but not anywhere near English Championship level imo...I think there's a decent chance he will be here

:agree:

If he realises this and has a good few seasons at Hibs I reckon it will be a win/win.

Borderhibbie76
06-04-2018, 08:47 PM
Perhaps, although the other point I forgot to make is that if, big if, he makes the OZ world cup squad it completely changes the dynamic.Yes a very valid point actually

Haymaker
07-04-2018, 05:08 AM
In fairness Ronaldo is now 41 and pretty overweight.

Could still do a job for us

Northernhibee
07-04-2018, 06:17 AM

Stokes was a total liability this season, hence why he was ditched at the earliest opportunity.

bigwheel
07-04-2018, 06:31 AM
Stokes was a total liability this season, hence why he was ditched at the earliest opportunity.

still our top league scorer this season....

Northernhibee
07-04-2018, 06:36 AM
still our top league scorer this season....

If he wasn't on penalty duties he wouldn't have been. He was woeful.

bigwheel
07-04-2018, 08:18 AM
If he wasn't on penalty duties he wouldn't have been. He was woeful.

that type of exaggeration doesn't tell the truth though does it...was he as good as he could have been? no way, overall - under par...but was he woeful? equally no...he did OK...the issue is - had he really applied himself, he could have been great...

Anyway, the squad looks better balanced and more together now, so obviously him being away is a good thing for us..

On the main topic..I hope McLaren stays..think he has goals in him.

Forza Fred
07-04-2018, 08:55 AM
that type of exaggeration doesn't tell the truth though does it...was he as good as he could have been? no way, overall - under par...but was he woeful? equally no...he did OK...the issue is - had he really applied himself, he could have been great...

Anyway, the squad looks better balanced and more together now, so obviously him being away is a good thing for us..

You should know by now that ‘middle ground’ reasonable arguments are not appreciated here.

No matter how much I may agree with your summation of Stokes......the majority will always go for an extreme view......so was he brilliant or pish......😉

blackpoolhibs
07-04-2018, 09:13 AM
I always felt Stokes was better when we played teams who had as much of the ball as we did or even more.

When we were pressing all the time he did tend to drop deeper and deeper to get the ball.

He still produced goals for us every time he came back to us, but from a team point of view, we are now in my opinion better set up to open teams up.

We are undoubtedly playing quicker football without him in the team, and have 2 forwards now rather than 1 and a half.

Forza Fred
07-04-2018, 09:34 AM
I always felt Stokes was better when we played teams who had as much of the ball as we did or even more.

When we were pressing all the time he did tend to drop deeper and deeper to get the ball.

He still produced goals for us every time he came back to us, but from a team point of view, we are now in my opinion better set up to open teams up.

We are undoubtedly playing quicker football without him in the team, and have 2 forwards now rather than 1 and a half.

I agree.

It’s probably been done to death by now, but the way we were set up in the Stokes era, I used to see many of our moves breaking down before the ball was played into the box...we seem to play more balls in the box these days.

Could of course just be perception, and no doubt there will be someone come along with some obscure statistics to prove it so!

However, no doubt we are.a more dangerous outfit now.

Ozyhibby
07-04-2018, 09:52 AM
All this is pointless. Lennon no longer sees Murray as the answer which is why he was shipped out on loan and we were willing to listen to offers from Turkey early in the window. His Hibs career is now at an end and he will move on permanently in the summer. I thought he was ok but he is nowhere near as good as two we have now. Most importantly, Lennon thinks the same.

Winston Ingram
07-04-2018, 10:04 AM
His movement is brilliant. Penalty of striker that we lacked. 1 in every 3 is a ratio that is very decent. Long may it continue.

I would probably agree if he contributed more outside the box.

Last week he scored with his 6th touch of the ball. He does next to nothing else. 1 in 3 means means we are almost a man short for the other 2 games.

On top of that, we have to re-jig the formation to accommodate the fact he can’t play up top, which means Boyler spends too much time at the wrong end of the pitch.

Forza Fred
07-04-2018, 10:54 AM
All this is pointless. Lennon no longer sees Murray as the answer which is why he was shipped out on loan and we were willing to listen to offers from Turkey early in the window. His Hibs career is now at an end and he will move on permanently in the summer. I thought he was ok but he is nowhere near as good as two we have now. Most importantly, Lennon thinks the same.

It could be argued then, that EVERY post on here is pointless, could it not.

Northernhibee
07-04-2018, 12:07 PM

I don't feel that's really am exaggeration, the amount of shots that he'd mi**** or put right at the keeper frustrated me no end. He got a lot of shots away but you'd expect a hell of a lot more than four outfield goals in return for a top flight footballer.

He was the epitome of our lack of cutting edge in the first half of the season.

1van Sprou7e
07-04-2018, 12:17 PM
I would probably agree if he contributed more outside the box.

Last week he scored with his 6th touch of the ball. He does next to nothing else. 1 in 3 means means we are almost a man short for the other 2 games.

On top of that, we have to re-jig the formation to accommodate the fact he can’t play up top, which means Boyler spends too much time at the wrong end of the pitch.

You don't have to touch the ball to contribute to the game. He has been a goal threat in every game he has played

Not sure what you mean by your last sentence. He can't play up top?? Where do you think he has been playing this whole time?

RyeSloan
07-04-2018, 12:54 PM
I’m amazed anyone thinks Murray is anywhere close to Jamie.

Jamie’s game intelligence and running is miles above that of Murray. The goal against Patrick was a good example where Jamie bust a gut to get in front of he defender and into the near post...Murray just doesn’t have that in his game.

Murray is a half decent player but just having loads of energy and an unique barnet doesn’t make him good enough for Hibs at our current level.