PDA

View Full Version : Riordan signs for St Bernard's

heidtheba
04-04-2018, 11:16 PM
Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43641381

3pm
04-04-2018, 11:31 PM
One of the best.

Hero.

whereswallace?
05-04-2018, 05:29 AM
I run St Bernard’s and Derek is a very good friend of ours, now he’s retired from professional football he’s just coming to play with his mates for a kickabout and pass a wee bit of experience back down.

green day
05-04-2018, 07:06 AM
I run St Bernard’s and Derek is a very good friend of ours, now he’s retired from professional football he’s just coming to play with his mates for a kickabout and pass a wee bit of experience back down.

Good luck to you - and him.

I see the predictable "how much are you paying him" nonsense appeared on twitter.

Some people are just bams, eh?

One Day
05-04-2018, 07:06 AM
Where do St Bernard's play their home games

whereswallace?
05-04-2018, 07:27 AM

I see the predictable "how much are you paying him" nonsense appeared on twitter.

Aye, it’s one of the reasons Iv been reluctant to do it if I’m honest. Everyone that knows us though knows that Dereks one of the boys and I’m delighted he’s agreed to come along!

whereswallace?
05-04-2018, 07:28 AM
Where do St Bernard's play their home games

We’ve played most of our home games at Royal high school due to the weather and drainage works at our home pitch in Muirhouse, just at the back of the newish Redrow houses at the end of Ferry road.

Derek is in the squad for our next game on Monday evening.

BILLYHIBS
05-04-2018, 07:36 AM
Legend!

I remember when Alex Cropley turned out for Liberton Cropley everyone was trying to break his leg but Alex was too street wise for them saw them coming last week.

Look after yourself Deek!

GGTTH

One Day
05-04-2018, 07:40 AM
We’ve played most of our home games at Royal high school due to the weather and drainage works at our home pitch in Muirhouse, just at the back of the newish Redrow houses at the end of Ferry road.

Thanks for that

calumhibee1
05-04-2018, 07:46 AM
Good to see him playing football for the enjoyment of it. Not many players that would be playing just for the love of the game. Will try get down to a St Bernard’s game before the end of the season.

whereswallace?
05-04-2018, 07:59 AM
We’ve got some big games coming up. Joint top of the league, 2 semi finals and the East of Scotland cup final on Friday 27th April at Livingstons stadium

McPhisto2
05-04-2018, 08:18 AM
We’ve got some big games coming up. Joint top of the league, 2 semi finals and the East of Scotland cup final on Friday 27th April at Livingstons stadium

I don't do the twitter thing but do you guys have a web site or fb page i can go to for fixtures? I'm only 5 mins from the pitch in Muirhouse and a wee chance to see Derek in action would appeal.

whereswallace?
05-04-2018, 08:40 AM
I don't do the twitter thing but do you guys have a web site or fb page i can go to for fixtures? I'm only 5 mins from the pitch in Muirhouse and a wee chance to see Derek in action would appeal.

Yeah mate our Facebook page (st Bernard’s afc) is updated all the time with game details.

where'stheslope
05-04-2018, 09:24 AM

Remember training at the school in Stockbridge many many moons ago!!!!

calumhibee1
05-04-2018, 09:26 AM

www.leafa.co.uk will have the fixtures and results, league tables etc. St Bernard’s are in the Saturday section.

Jim44
05-04-2018, 09:28 AM
Do you think he could still do a job ........... :offski:

Scorrie
05-04-2018, 09:33 AM
Do you think he could still do a job ........... :offski:

Aye... for St Bernard’s!

superfurryhibby
05-04-2018, 10:24 AM
Good to see him playing football for the enjoyment of it. Not many players that would be playing just for the love of the game. Will try get down to a St Bernard’s game before the end of the season.

You'd be surprised. I've played against a good few at amateur level over the years. John Watson- ex Dunfermline, Colin Campbell, ex Hibs and the lanky Iain Ferguson , ex Hearts spring to mind.

Deek loves fitbaw, good on him.

speedy_gonzales
05-04-2018, 12:05 PM
I run St Bernard’s

Is big Ronnie still involved with the club in any capacity? Used to work beside him and went to a few games YEARS ago,,,,

silverhibee
05-04-2018, 12:18 PM

Get him kept in this weekend.

FilipinoHibs
05-04-2018, 12:26 PM
One of the best.

Hero.

At 35 Riordinao signs for ST Bernards. At 33 Ronaldo scores one of the greatest goals of all time. I lovs them both.

Michael
05-04-2018, 12:28 PM
Could be our marquee summer signing if he does well at St. Bernards.

whereswallace?
05-04-2018, 12:32 PM
Is big Ronnie still involved with the club in any capacity? Used to work beside him and went to a few games YEARS ago,,,,

Ronnie Hall? If so then no he’s not involved however we do speak regularly and he takes a very keen interest in how we are doing.

He was my manager there before I took over the team!

FilipinoHibs
05-04-2018, 12:32 PM

Yes could still do a job.

whereswallace?
05-04-2018, 12:33 PM
Get him kept in this weekend.

You know what the chances of that are! Haha

speedy_gonzales
05-04-2018, 01:07 PM
Ronnie Hall? If so then no he’s not involved however we do speak regularly and he takes a very keen interest in how we are doing.

Aye, Skeletor! I knew he was working away a lot so must have been difficult to keep his hand in the team.

whereswallace?
05-04-2018, 01:24 PM
Aye, Skeletor! I knew he was working away a lot so must have been difficult to keep his hand in the team.

Still the same case, works away most of the time. He doesn’t come to our games when he’s home because he thinks he would be a bogey haha. Legend of a guy!

Haymaker
05-04-2018, 04:25 PM

Getting in some match fitness before signing for us.

LustForLeith
05-04-2018, 06:50 PM
Good luck to Deeks and St Bernard’s.

One of the most naturally gifted players I’ve seen at Hibs. Folk will be buzzing to face him and also play alongside him at that level.

TelaStella
05-04-2018, 09:21 PM
Might have just been my age but he was a type of player who was an absolute pleasure to watch loved the guy. Great to see he’s still enjoying his football no matter the level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clerie Green
05-04-2018, 09:25 PM
What might have been .

Lovely laddie

:flag::thumbsup::flag:

Wembley67
06-04-2018, 06:26 AM
This is like George Best all over again 😲

PompeyHibs
06-04-2018, 07:47 AM
Well done Deeks - the lad enjoys his football

Might be interesting to hear the next home gate for St Bernards, could be att: 14,351

Hail Hail 🇳🇬🇳🇬🇳🇬

wpj
06-04-2018, 09:09 AM
Lots of respect for Deeks. Lived the dream.

MSK
06-04-2018, 12:17 PM
Was at a race night a while back at the Clerrie Inn for my Nephews Edinburgh City fundraiser. Deeks came in with a few mates, sat down & spent some time with my Nephew & his team mates, chatting & answering questions etc, made the young lads day.

Different class Deeks👍

pacoluna
06-04-2018, 05:32 PM

How much are you paying him ? Or do you you cover yourself by saying "it's travelling fees"

pacoluna
06-04-2018, 05:34 PM

St Bernards are known for it, when it comes to fair play they certainly don't go by the rules. "Travelling fees" is the favourite line.

superfurryhibby
06-04-2018, 09:22 PM
St Bernards are known for it, when it comes to fair play they certainly don't go by the rules. "Travelling fees" is the favourite line.

Played amateur for years at the highest level. No one gets paid, lol.

andrew70
06-04-2018, 09:50 PM
Played amateur for years at the highest level. No one gets paid, lol.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic here or naive. You obviously never encountered Breeks at Pencaitland etc if it’s the latter.

therealgavmac
07-04-2018, 08:00 AM

There’s a blast from the past.... Ronnie and I were in the same class at school, all the way through primary and secondary....... he used to get dogs abuse for being a Jambo

superfurryhibby
07-04-2018, 08:07 AM
Not sure if you are being sarcastic here or naive. You obviously never encountered Breeks at Pencaitland etc if it’s the latter.

Must be naivety then. As I said played amateur for years , no one was paid. Pencaitland, was this East Seniors? Breeks? Does everyone know his name, lol.

calumhibee1
07-04-2018, 08:35 AM

Where on earth would these sort of teams be getting the money to pay players?

superfurryhibby
07-04-2018, 08:40 AM

Apparently if you don't know this then you're naive or being sarcastic, lol.

whereswallace?
07-04-2018, 09:18 AM

😂😂 are you ok mate? What a ridiculous comments to make. Can I ask where you plucked this one from?

whereswallace?
07-04-2018, 09:20 AM

I’d love to know the answer to this one aswell! Instead of chasing players for their fivers every week, maybe il deduct it from their pay packets 🙈

superfurryhibby
07-04-2018, 09:32 AM
I’d love to know the answer to this one aswell! Instead of chasing players for their fivers every week, maybe il deduct it from their pay packets 🙈

Is there a Vlad figure operating in the world of the Lothian and Edinburgh Amateurs? Does he pick the side and get to come on for the last five minutes of the Stevie Maskrey Cup final so he can lap up the glory. This thread is fast becoming a Hibs Net classic. Keep it coming folks:not worth

pacoluna
07-04-2018, 09:37 AM
Is there a Vlad figure operating in the world of the Lothian and Edinburgh Amateurs? Does he pick the side and get to come on for the last five minutes of the Stevie Maskrey Cup final so he can lap up the glory. This thread is fast becoming a Hibs Net classic. Keep it coming folks:not worth
The joke is on you if you honestly believe top amateur teams particularly in Glasgow don't give certain players back handers to play on a Saturday morning. It's rife.

Pretty Boy
07-04-2018, 09:50 AM
I've played amateur for years at a very good level and an absolutelt ***** level and I can honestly say I was never offered a penny.

I ran a team for the 2nd half of last season just to help out and ended up nearly £500 out of pocket just trying to cover costs. If other guys are making enough that they can afford to pay their players then I want to know their secret.

easty
07-04-2018, 10:20 AM
I played with St Bernards last season. I got paid loads. whereswallace? paid my mortgage, and I was about the worst player there.

bigwheel
07-04-2018, 10:26 AM
I’d love to know the answer to this one aswell! Instead of chasing players for their fivers every week, maybe il deduct it from their pay packets [emoji85]

Where's that sponsored car you promised me ? And as for a flat....I thought we were talking about Stockbridge....not Stockport !! [emoji3][emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

superfurryhibby
07-04-2018, 10:44 AM
Damn,all those years of playing football and I never caught onto the fish suppers for playing scandal, I always thought it was a buy your own scenario. There again I'm vegetarian. Now it's all about pro's retiring from the dizzy heights of Scottish League 2 in order to cash in on the amateur bonanza. Clearly my career was 20 years too late for this unpredicted explosion of backhanded luncheon vouchers and bus tokens that allegedly make the once proud Lothian leagues a mockery of the words pub team.

Allant1981
07-04-2018, 11:43 AM
yip im the same, played saturday and sunday and never heard of any teams in west lothian or edinburgh paying players, some guys were weeks behind with their subs never mind being paid to play, clearly someone on here wasn't good enough to get a game somewhere so is a bit bitter!!

Allant1981
07-04-2018, 11:44 AM
The joke is on you if you honestly believe top amateur teams particularly in Glasgow don't give certain players back handers to play on a Saturday morning. It's rife.

name them and then back it up

CropleyWasGod
07-04-2018, 11:50 AM
The joke is on you if you honestly believe top amateur teams particularly in Glasgow don't give certain players back handers to play on a Saturday morning. It's rife.Where do they get the money from?

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

MSK
07-04-2018, 04:05 PM
Where do they get the money from?

Sent from my SM-A510F using TapatalkA sugar Daddy ? I played for Captains Bar many years back & there were one or two top players who never had to put their hands in their pockets for drinkipoos.... Playing for that team cost me a bloody fortune !! ☹️

Eaststand
07-04-2018, 04:33 PM
I doubt if Derek Riordan is getting paid anything to play for St Bernards.
I was actually a household name, and also a great player in my heyday, but despite scoring several hat-tricks, I never got paid a penny.

Signed
Roy Race

GGTTH

CRAZYHIBBY
07-04-2018, 10:37 PM
I doubt if Derek Riordan is getting paid anything to play for St Bernards.
I was actually a household name, and also a great player in my heyday, but despite scoring several hat-tricks, I never got paid a penny.

Signed
Roy Race

GGTTH

Same here...i once scored 42 hatricks in 10 minutes yet never got paid a penny

whiskas
07-04-2018, 11:09 PM
I got a beer and burger for getting MOTM once...

Viva_Palmeiras
08-04-2018, 12:27 AM
I got a beer and burger for getting MOTM once...

Ah so you play for Accrington Stanley ;)

FilipinoHibs
08-04-2018, 12:35 AM
Ah so you play for Accrington Stanley ;)

I played in the Borders amateur league and was promised a right doin after the match if I did not stop leaving the left back for dead.

Scorrie
08-04-2018, 09:18 AM
So did Deek play or is he still to make debut?

CropleyWasGod
08-04-2018, 09:20 AM
So did Deek play or is he still to make debut?Still haggling over the signing-on fee I heard.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Eaststand
08-04-2018, 09:36 AM
Same here...i once scored 42 hatricks in 10 minutes yet never got paid a penny

I'm sure I remember that game, and you played well in spells, but you missing those 3 penalties probably stopped you getting the MoTM award.

GGTTH

whereswallace?
08-04-2018, 12:59 PM
So did Deek play or is he still to make debut?

We never had a game yesterday. We play tomorrow and he’s in the squad depending on the outcome with my bank manager in the afternoon.

Scorrie
08-04-2018, 01:13 PM
We never had a game yesterday. We play tomorrow and he’s in the squad depending on the outcome with my bank manager in the afternoon.

He’ll be worth every penny I’m sure 😈

calumhibee1
09-04-2018, 08:10 PM
Scored tonight I see. Wonder what his goal bonus is...

whereswallace?
09-04-2018, 08:12 PM
Scored tonight I see. Wonder what his goal bonus is...

Actually cost him £20 coz he paid for my scran earlier so I started him!

calumhibee1
09-04-2018, 08:15 PM
Actually cost him £20 coz he paid for my scran earlier so I started him!

:greengrin

Good to see him back doing what he does best regardless of the level it’s at.

whereswallace?
09-04-2018, 08:34 PM
You won’t be surprised to read that it was an absolute screamer of a free kick aswell

Sammy7nil
09-04-2018, 08:40 PM
You won’t be surprised to read that it was an absolute screamer of a free kick aswell

What was ?

Scorrie
09-04-2018, 08:43 PM
What was ?

Deek’s goal?

whereswallace?
09-04-2018, 08:45 PM
Yeah his goal.

silverhibee
09-04-2018, 09:01 PM

Goalkeeper rooted to the spot as the ball flew past him type of screamer with a bit squiggle on it. :greengrin

stirlingbhoy
10-04-2018, 09:28 AM
nice wee East Final against Fallin coming up!!!!

whereswallace?
10-04-2018, 09:37 AM
nice wee East Final against Fallin coming up!!!!

Very hard game for us. We beat many people’s favourites in Pennies in the semi but I watched Fallin in their semi and rate them as a better side with more of a threat.

Benny Brazil
17-04-2018, 05:55 AM
Watched a bit of him playing last night at Saughton as my son was training a couple of pitches away - have to say was pretty sad watching a legend like him struggle on that public park with a slope like that - he didn't look any better than the rest of the players tbh

calumhibee1
17-04-2018, 06:35 AM
Watched a bit of him playing last night at Saughton as my son was training a couple of pitches away - have to say was pretty sad watching a legend like him struggle on that public park with a slope like that - he didn't look any better than the rest of the players tbh

Don’t think there’s anything sad about it, if anything I’d say it’s pleasing to see him playing the game with his mates just for the fun of it. And the money St Bernard’s are paying him of course :greengrin

superfurryhibby
17-04-2018, 06:50 AM

Aye, right enough. Forner pro footballer who still loves the game carries on playing at amateur level, that's tragic. Slopes have no place in the modern game either.

sambajustice
17-04-2018, 07:11 AM
O'Connor played for them last Saturday in 1-1 draw with whoever they played.

By the looks of things there's a boy called Horribine playing for them as well, was there not a lad called Horribine that was at the Hibs u-20s a few years ago?

Obviously a few decent players at St Bernards now!

hibbysam
17-04-2018, 07:20 AM

By the looks of things there's a boy called Horribine playing for them as well, was there not a lad called Horribine that was at the Hibs u-20s a few years ago?

Those saying they aren’t paying their players might want to get those they get playing for them to stop mouthing off about how much they are getting for doing so.

Benny Brazil
17-04-2018, 08:30 AM
Aye, right enough. Forner pro footballer who still loves the game carries on playing at amateur level, that's tragic. Slopes have no place in the modern game either.

No its not tragic but thanks for the sarcastic comment - but it's sad to see how far he has fallen - he should still be playing at a higher level if he had looked after his career better

Suburban Hibby
17-04-2018, 09:09 AM

I watched him last night as well with my boy training - and agree totally, the standard was honking, and Deek looked no better or worse than his teammates.

hard not to get all misty eyed and think of the top times with him at Hibs and then seeing him last night......

And the side slope on the pitch was a shocker

easty
17-04-2018, 09:23 AM
I watched him last night as well with my boy training - and agree totally, the standard was honking, and Deek looked no better or worse than his teammates.

hard not to get all misty eyed and think of the top times with him at Hibs and then seeing him last night......

And the side slope on the pitch was a shocker

It would have been hard for Messi to have looked good on that pitch last night to be fair, if they'd been playing on the astro at Saughton then St Bernards would have absolutely pummelled Clermiston.

SirDavidsNapper
17-04-2018, 09:25 AM
No its not tragic but thanks for the sarcastic comment - but it's sad to see how far he has fallen - he should still be playing at a higher level if he had looked after his career better

Seemed to play the game with ease first time around at us. Occasionally deciding to ping a 30 yarder into the top corner when he fancied. Wonder how it would have all turned out if he'd stayed with us instead of going to Celtic. Was still a top player when he returned and will always remember his second debut for us at Hamilton....you guessed it, a casual 30 yarder into the top corner a few mins after coming off the bench. Tremendous player in his prime and gave me so many good memories.

My_Wife_Camille
17-04-2018, 10:23 AM
Seemed to play the game with ease first time around at us. Occasionally deciding to ping a 30 yarder into the top corner when he fancied. Wonder how it would have all turned out if he'd stayed with us instead of going to Celtic. Was still a top player when he returned and will always remember his second debut for us at Hamilton....you guessed it, a casual 30 yarder into the top corner a few mins after coming off the bench. Tremendous player in his prime and gave me so many good memories.
A casual 30 yarder from inside the 18 yard box :cb

calumhibee1
17-04-2018, 11:01 AM

I’m no good at maths, but would that potentially be possible if you were standing right on the very corner of the box and put it into the far top corner?

hibbysam
17-04-2018, 11:02 AM

Was about to say that it was a strike from the left onto the far corner but nowhere near 30 yards. His free kick at home to Killie though...

Bad Martini
17-04-2018, 11:48 AM
He still scored some barry goals against THEM though eh? :greengrin:thumbsup::flag:

ENDOF :not worth

Sergio sledge
17-04-2018, 12:24 PM
I’m no good at maths, but would that potentially be possible if you were standing right on the very corner of the box and put it into the far top corner?

Yup, the corner of the box is 18 yards from the goal line and 18 yards from the goal posts. The goal posts are 8 yards apart and the crossbar is 2.67 yards high. Therefore a shot from exactly the corner of the box to the nearest top corner would be just over 25.5 yards. A shot to the furthest top corner would be 31.7 yards.

My inexact calculations based on youtube footage puts Riordan's returning goal as a 25 yarder (not taking into account any curl or dip on the ball... ).

.Sean.
17-04-2018, 02:03 PM
Those saying they aren’t paying their players might want to get those they get playing for them to stop mouthing off about how much they are getting for doing so.
Feel free to drop me a text pal :greengrin

Iggy Pope
17-04-2018, 02:34 PM

30 yards or whatever his second debut was against Dundee U at ER the week before that goal.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
17-04-2018, 04:12 PM
Yup, the corner of the box is 18 yards from the goal line and 18 yards from the goal posts. The goal posts are 8 yards apart and the crossbar is 2.67 yards high. Therefore a shot from exactly the corner of the box to the nearest top corner would be just over 25.5 yards. A shot to the furthest top corner would be 31.7 yards.

My inexact calculations based on youtube footage puts Riordan's returning goal as a 25 yarder (not taking into account any curl or dip on the ball... ).

Good knowledge! :greengrin

calumhibee1
17-04-2018, 04:57 PM

Quality :greengrin

whereswallace?
17-04-2018, 09:40 PM

Do me a favour and PM whose saying that mate? Certainly nobody being paid to play for us.

Bishop Hibee
17-04-2018, 09:47 PM

They played Tollcross as a guy I work beside plays for them. Lets just say he wasn't impressed with Riordan and O'Connor's fitness levels.

andrew70
27-04-2018, 08:58 PM
Congrats to St Bernard’s on their EOS cup final success tonight.

Scorrie
30-04-2018, 08:10 PM
Congrats to St Bernard’s on their EOS cup final success tonight.

Just seen a couple of the goals on the St Bernard’s Facebook page. Really good goals

whereswallace?
30-04-2018, 09:10 PM
Thanks very much! What an unbelievable achievement for us.

Had another semi final tonight and after a heavy, heavy weekend of celebrating, we reached another final. Derek Riordan who missed the last 3 games through injury, stepped off the bench to curl home a free kick.

Goal can be seen on St Bernard’s afc Facebook and twitter

Fife-Hibee
30-04-2018, 09:13 PM
Spotted Derek in Toni Macaroni's a wee while back, must have been this club he was on the phone to. :greengrin

silverhibee
19-05-2018, 10:18 AM
St Bernard's playing Sandy's at Spartans today, 2 o'clock KO for anyone wanting to go and watch some football instead of the wee wedding that's on today.

Pretty Boy
19-05-2018, 10:27 AM
St Bernard's playing Sandy's at Spartans today, 2 o'clock KO for anyone wanting to go and watch some football instead of the wee wedding that's on today.

I'd recommend this to anyone needing a football fix. 2 cracking teams and the other games between them this season have been a bit tasty.

supersauzee
19-05-2018, 02:56 PM
Will be a great game. Bob mckenzie who plays centre mid for sandys is a class player and has had a great season.think sandys will be too strong but with the individuals st.bernards have they could sneak it

Sammy7nil
19-05-2018, 03:06 PM
Will be a great game. Bob mckenzie who plays centre mid for sandys is a class player and has had a great season.think sandys will be too strong but with the individuals st.bernards have they could sneak it

If it is a two pm KO surely it is finished ?

Pretty Boy
19-05-2018, 03:12 PM
If it is a two pm KO surely it is finished ?

Think it went to penalties. Not sure on the score.

Hibeebor
19-05-2018, 03:34 PM
Sandy's won on penalties.