PDA

View Full Version : Board meeting today

DarlingtonHibee
04-04-2018, 05:07 PM
Neil said there was a meeting today, and hoped to get an idea on budget, surely we must have a decent budget?

Jones28
04-04-2018, 05:10 PM
With boosted attendances, a great league position and season tickets 10% up on what they were last year you'd have thought so.

DarlingtonHibee
04-04-2018, 05:19 PM
I would imagine that they will have forecast a figure for John and Dlyan leaving. Hopefully we can keep them both.

Billy Whizz
04-04-2018, 05:27 PM
I would imagine that they will have forecast a figure for John and Dlyan leaving. Hopefully we can keep them both.

I’d be gobsmacked if McGinns a Hibs player come the end of the window
Doesn’t look like he’s extending his deal, he’s had plenty of time to do so already!
Also, Hibs can’t let a £5million asset run down his contract

H18 SFR
04-04-2018, 05:29 PM
I’d be gobsmacked if McGinns a Hibs player come the end of the window
Doesn’t look like he’s extending his deal, he’s had plenty of time to do so already!
Also, Hibs can’t let a £5million asset run down his contract

Much debate in my head what would be a good return for him, 3M?

Smartie
04-04-2018, 05:29 PM
They'll probably be working on "worst case scenarios" but still allow Lennon to be starting on his squad for next year.

We know we're going to be top six, probably top four, possibly second.

We know what our cup record was.

We'll have an idea how many home games we've had this season.

We'll have an idea how many season tickets we've sold so far, and will probably be able to project what's likely to come in over the course of the next few months.

We'll have an idea who is leaving, who will probably be staying, with a few "don't knows" in there.

If players are leaving, we should have an idea how much we're going to get in transfer fees for them.

Hopefully it looks good, and we can make a start on securing most of the players who are out of contract at the end of this season.

It's good to be in a position where you're more worried about players leaving again, than hoping to have the mother of all clear-outs and starting again from scratch.

stokesmessiah
04-04-2018, 05:31 PM
I do hope Lennon is here for next year.

Billy Whizz
04-04-2018, 05:35 PM
Much debate in my head what would be a good return for him, 3M?

Probably, but Lennon values him at £5m

Diclonius
04-04-2018, 05:36 PM
McGinn will be leaving. Invest the money into a bumper contract for McGeouch, sign Kamberi & Allan permanently (at least), sign someone like Mallan with the remaining money. That'll do for a start.

cabbageandribs1875
04-04-2018, 05:40 PM
5M is pure fantasy...imo of course :cb i'd be happy with half that, delighted at 2.75M and happy as larry at 3M

Godsahibby
04-04-2018, 05:59 PM
It’s what he is worth to us as a player. If we qualify for Europe and keep him he could help us get to the group stages. I’m sure I read something about that being worth £8MM. I think it will take something nearer to Lennons valuation for us to let him go. I think anything under £3MM and we will keep him.

Sauzee16
04-04-2018, 06:04 PM
I wonder if Neil’s commitment to tv studios during the wc will come into question?

StevieCowan
04-04-2018, 06:06 PM
I wonder if Neil’s commitment to tv studios during the wc will come into question?

By whom? :confused:

Billy Whizz
04-04-2018, 06:08 PM
By whom? :confused:

I’m presuming he means the board
If he’s covering some of the games from TV studios in the UK, that’s fine
If he’s flying back and forward to Russia during pre season, well that’s another matter!

Hibbyradge
04-04-2018, 06:14 PM
If he’s flying back and forward to Russia during pre season, well that’s another matter!

He won't be covering that many, I shouldn't think. The pundits all like to get their snouts in the trough.

bingo70
04-04-2018, 06:24 PM
5M is pure fantasy...imo of course :cb i'd be happy with half that, delighted at 2.75M and happy as larry at 3M

It shouldn’t be given the transfer market down south.

I suspect you’re probably right though.

cabbageandribs1875
04-04-2018, 06:51 PM
It shouldn’t be given the transfer market down south.

I suspect you’re probably right though.

hopefully the various rumours on here that he will be heading to glasgow are unfounded, we would get more cash from down south but sellick have a wee ace up their sleeves by possibly dangling the scott allan carrot and if that's the case i can see st.mirren getting a big reduction in cash for their 30%(or whatever it really is) sell-on fee due, i imagine they, and most of us would prefer he went down south

MyJo
04-04-2018, 06:52 PM

I think £3m plus a 15-20% sell on fee will be a good deal for us.

He is absolutely worth every penny of the £5m Lennon is quoting but without signing a new deal its highly unlikely.

Sauzee16
04-04-2018, 06:54 PM

Yeah that’s what I meant. If he’s quite rightly banging down the door to the board to back him with funds I hope it’s advised it’s a 2 way street with him as I still feel we started pretty poorly the year he covered the Euros.

WhileTheChief..
04-04-2018, 07:01 PM
I’ve absolutely no problem at all with Lennon rubbing shoulders with some of the biggest names in the game.

It raises our club’s profile no end.

It also means him talking with managers of clubs from throughout Europe and we might find some players are available to us on loan.

It’s a fantastic opportunity for us.

bingo70
04-04-2018, 07:03 PM
I’ve absolutely no problem at all with Lennon rubbing shoulders with some of the biggest names in the game.

It also means him talking with managers of clubs from throughout Europe and we might find some players are available to us on loan.

Will the earliest qualifying rounds of the Europa league be on when the World Cup is on?

Sauzee16
04-04-2018, 07:08 PM
Will the earliest qualifying rounds of the Europa league be on when the World Cup is on?

Yes.

Smartie
04-04-2018, 07:09 PM
Also - Garry Parker knows what he's doing in the absence of Neil Lennon (see the past few games for evidence).

Lennon's the boss, but there is a team that work alongside him who are only ever a phone call or e-mail away.

I don't have a problem with any of the extra stuff that Lennon does, I think it reflects well on Hibs rather than distract him from important matters.

Lennon himself is professional enough to know that if it was acting as a distraction then he'd need to chuck it.

Sauzee16
04-04-2018, 07:11 PM
Also - Garry Parker knows what he's doing in the absence of Neil Lennon (see the past few games for evidence).

Lennon's the boss, but there is a team that work alongside him who are only ever a phone call or e-mail away.

I don't have a problem with any of the extra stuff that Lennon does, I think it reflects well on Hibs rather than distract him from important matters.

Lennon himself is professional enough to know that if it was acting as a distraction then he'd need to chuck it.

If he’s in Russia while the players are back training it sends out all the wrong messages. Not that I think it will happen regardless.

WhileTheChief..
04-04-2018, 07:17 PM
No it doesn’t. There’s nothing to suggest that at all.

cabbageandribs1875
04-04-2018, 07:17 PM
I think £3m plus a 15-20% sell on fee will be a good deal for us.

He is absolutely worth every penny of the £5m Lennon is quoting but without signing a new deal its highly unlikely.

as much as i/we love sjm(and dylan) i'm seriously peeved at them not at least allowing us to get bigger fees by them signing extensions, i appreciate jason cummings even more now :agree:

Sir David Gray
04-04-2018, 07:20 PM
There's no danger we'll get £5 million in the summer unless he extends his contract.

We'll get £3 million, tops plus maybe a sell on fee.

Sauzee16
04-04-2018, 07:20 PM
No it doesn’t. There’s nothing to suggest that at all.

What? Every other manager is back with their sides at pre-season and ours isn’t? Like I said I don’t think it would happen anyway.

hibbysam
04-04-2018, 07:21 PM
Yeah that’s what I meant. If he’s quite rightly banging down the door to the board to back him with funds I hope it’s advised it’s a 2 way street with him as I still feel we started pretty poorly the year he covered the Euros.

Started poorly by beating brondby over there?

Sauzee16
04-04-2018, 07:23 PM
Started poorly by beating brondby over there?

Our league season.

Sammy7nil
04-04-2018, 07:25 PM
Probably, but Lennon values him at £5m

NL could value him at 500 million it matters not a jot what he thinks unless he is buying ?

Mr White
04-04-2018, 07:26 PM
Our league season.

We started with 5 straight wins didn't we?

hibbysam
04-04-2018, 07:27 PM
Our league season.

We won our first 5 games. Let’s stop making nonsense up.

BlackSheep
04-04-2018, 07:30 PM
Our league season.

6 wins, 3 draws and 1 loss out of our first 10 games...

Terrible start to the season.

😂

heidtheba
04-04-2018, 07:32 PM
NL could value him at 500 million it matters not a jot what he thinks unless he is buying ?

Would the the only possibility where I'd not be unhappy at Neil replacing Rodgers at Sellic...:greengrin

Hibs90
04-04-2018, 07:32 PM
6 wins, 3 draws and 1 loss out of our first 10 games...

Terrible start to the season.

😂

:greengrin

Sauzee16
04-04-2018, 07:33 PM
After August we stuttered big time and also got emptied out the league cup at home. September and October was poor as and we didn’t play convincing at all even in August.

Sorry for having the opinion our manager should be at the club when it prepares for the new season.

Mr White
04-04-2018, 07:34 PM
After August we stuttered big time and also got emptied out the league cup at home. September and October was poor as and we didn’t play convincing at all even in August.

Sorry for having the opinion our manager should be at the club when it prepares for the new season.

C'mon lets not start that fire again.

lord bunberry
04-04-2018, 07:35 PM

I think we’ll get at least £5m. The boy is a rare talent and he’ll have plenty suitors.

lord bunberry
04-04-2018, 07:39 PM

Am I missing something here? We got knocked out of the league cup at Hampden against Celtic in the semi final.

Ringothedog
04-04-2018, 07:41 PM
Am I missing something here? We got knocked out of the league cup at Hampden against Celtic in the semi final.

Last season not this season

cabbageandribs1875
04-04-2018, 07:43 PM
I think we’ll get at least £5m. The boy is a rare talent and he’ll have plenty suitors.

if he doesn't sign an extension any interested club can simply wait 5 months and offer a pre-contract and we all know how that will pan out, risk leaving for nowt next may or accepting a p@ss poor 300k(or whatever) during the window

jacomo
04-04-2018, 07:47 PM

Price is dependent on the market and Hibs can’t control that.

StevieCowan
Last season not this season

Ha ha.. you at the wind up or was I that reekin that I imagined Stokes and Shaw scoring in this seasons black strip at Hampden

stoneyburn hibs
Lennon has to be applauded. Even just the last 2 games are down to his management. Very poor first half on Saturday turned into 3 points. 1 down last night turned into 3 points. That would never happen before.

Pete
04-04-2018, 07:50 PM
Ha ha.. you at the wind up or was I that reekin that I imagined Stokes and Shaw scoring in this seasons black strip at Hampden

:agree:

It looks like some people will have to try a little harder to find things to complain about.

Unbelievable.

Monts
04-04-2018, 07:52 PM

He is talking about last season

K.Marx
04-04-2018, 07:52 PM
if he doesn't sign an extension any interested club can simply wait 5 months and offer a pre-contract and we all know how that will pan out, risk leaving for nowt next may or accepting a p@ss poor 300k(or whatever) during the window

Exactly why some people are in dreamland when they’re talking about us getting 4/5m for him. Players with only a year left on their contract almost always go for a knock down price.

hibbysam
04-04-2018, 08:00 PM

‘After august’ - so we started the season well, our preparation was spot on, we got very close to beating a decent European side, we then had awful luck where we got a man sent off when cruising against Ayr, which was the only defeat in our first 10. Lennon didn’t prioritise the league cup and rightly so. Your allowed an opinion, but let’s not make up stuff to suit an argument.

bingo70
04-04-2018, 08:02 PM
Exactly why some people are in dreamland when they’re talking about us getting 4/5m for him. Players with only a year left on their contract almost always go for a knock down price.

A year is a long time to wait for a player to run down his contract. Most managers won’t get that long to create the team they want so they’ll pay what it takes to get the players they want.

I think it’s the last 6 months the price drops dramatically.

lord bunberry
04-04-2018, 08:05 PM

Managers are desperate to save their jobs. 5 months is a lifetime in football, it will all depend on how many clubs want to sign him. If there’s only one the fee will be lower, if there’s a few the fee will be higher.

lord bunberry
04-04-2018, 08:06 PM

That depends on how good the player is. A year is an eternity in football.

Beefster
04-04-2018, 08:35 PM
‘After august’ - so we started the season well, our preparation was spot on, we got very close to beating a decent European side, we then had awful luck where we got a man sent off when cruising against Ayr, which was the only defeat in our first 10. Lennon didn’t prioritise the league cup and rightly so. Your allowed an opinion, but let’s not make up stuff to suit an argument.

Yup. Basically, the point turned into “we played pish in September and October because Lennon sat in a studio in France a couple of times in June”.

Which doesn’t sound ridiculous at all.

Borderhibbie76
04-04-2018, 08:38 PM
Our league season.

we won our first 5

inglisavhibs
04-04-2018, 08:42 PM
not if there are a few clubs after him, if there is only one club that's a different ball game.

Onion
04-04-2018, 08:50 PM
There's no danger we'll get £5 million in the summer unless he extends his contract.

We'll get £3 million, tops plus maybe a sell on fee.

In 2007, who saw us getting £4.4M for Brown ? Maybe only Petrie.

RyeSloan
04-04-2018, 08:52 PM
Yup. Basically, the point turned into “we played pish in September and October because Lennon sat in a studio in France a couple of times in June”.

Well when you put it like that....[emoji23]🤪

Greenbeard
04-04-2018, 08:58 PM
He won't be covering that many, I shouldn't think. The pundits all like to get their snouts in the trough.
He does Champions league punditry for RTE.

Eire hibs
04-04-2018, 09:07 PM
He does Champions league punditry for RTE.It's TV3 and usually with Souness. They're quite good actually.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Viva_Palmeiras
04-04-2018, 09:12 PM
In 2007, who saw us getting £4.4M for Brown ? Maybe only Petrie.

Was that the last notable major fee between Scottish clubs? And the demise of that Glasgow club?

04-04-2018, 09:13 PM
Maybe Lennon could invite Dylan out to Russia and get the likes of Shearer, Ferdinand and Waddle to persuade him to sign a new contract. Then when Dylan goes home fly out SJM, Scotty, Kamberi and Maclaren one after the other for the same treatment.

bingo70
04-04-2018, 09:14 PM
Was that the last notable major fee between Scottish clubs? And the demise of that Glasgow club?

Stuart Armstrong went for a couple of million did he not? Nadir ciftci was about £1.5m I think. Jack Hendry to Celtic for £1.5m is decent money

MagicSwirlingShip
04-04-2018, 09:52 PM
Wouldn’t dismiss John signing a new contract with a view to securing a better deal for Hibs (and St Mirren)

The prospect of a few European ties would help massively.

Radium
04-04-2018, 11:52 PM

... and look at the impact he was able to have with Cummings (per Time for Heroes)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyeSloan
05-04-2018, 12:57 AM
Wouldn’t dismiss John signing a new contract with a view to securing a better deal for Hibs (and St Mirren)

The prospect of a few European ties would help massively.

The prospect of a few European ties almost certainly against one of Europe’s many many lesser teams will almost certainly have zero bearing on anything.

BegbieHSC
05-04-2018, 01:29 AM

Mind Lenny is banned for another 4 European games too, after that mental linesman at home to Brondby...

Wouldn't have any problem at all with him being in Russia - as long as the team here were being adequately prepared.

MagicSwirlingShip
05-04-2018, 02:10 AM
The prospect of a few European ties almost certainly against one of Europe’s many many lesser teams will almost certainly have zero bearing on anything.

And if John is anything like his manager he will be looking past the qualifiers and onto the Europa League group stages when making up his mind.

147lothian
05-04-2018, 08:32 AM

I made a similar point when Lennon went to the Euro's, maybe getting Kamberi will show some the benefits to the club, that having a high profile manager brings in the modem game, were very lucky to have Neil Lennon representing Hibernian Football Club

JimBHibees
05-04-2018, 08:55 AM

Absolutely sums it up. :greengrin

hibs#1
05-04-2018, 11:05 AM
We should have about an extra 1 million in prize money if we finish 4th compared to last season in the championship,which I would say is quite a big plus for us.

I actually think this summer is quite a hard transfer window not going to be easy to improve our team (suppose it never is) also I wouldn't say there are a lot of obvious transfer targets.

NORTHERNHIBBY
05-04-2018, 11:49 AM
Our signing targets may change depending on the eventual league position and who wins the Scottish Cup. I can see McInness moving on either way and the Rangers are all over the place too. Hearts are a busted flush for at least another season. We could be the only club on the up so that may make us a good option for players. Celtc are on another level.

Ozyhibby
05-04-2018, 12:10 PM
I would hope our budget has significantly increased given the massive rise in our crowds and the higher prize money we will receive. We also had a decent league cup run.
Two seasons ago we were averaging 10k at each game, now it’s about 18k. That is a massive change in the money coming into the club without costs changing too much.
That should be reflected in the quality of signing we make this summer.

BSEJVT
05-04-2018, 01:05 PM
I would hope our budget has significantly increased given the massive rise in our crowds and the higher prize money we will receive. We also had a decent league cup run.
Two seasons ago we were averaging 10k at each game, now it’s about 18k. That is a massive change in the money coming into the club without costs changing too much.
That should be reflected in the quality of signing we make this summer.

Yes and No

Firstly the books need to balance, we were running at a significant loss in the Championship partly bailed out by good cup runs.

The wage bill will be significantly higher already than it was in the championship

But to counteract that crowds are up massively, so there should be room for some improvement.

Our prize / UEFA money should also massively increase

You would hope our merchandising and hospitality would also be up significantly

Hopefully the upsurge in HSL numbers will continue and will add further to that.

Against this there is a full size indoor pitch to pay for at East Mains

Where are we with the Performance School that Hearts are always chirping about the success off, that must carry some cost.

Whether these factors combined add up to as significant an uplift as many would like I don't know

Liberal Hibby
05-04-2018, 01:47 PM
Two seasons ago we were averaging 10k at each game, now it’s about 18k.

Two seasons ago we counted bums on seats, now we count tickets sold. So I expect the uplift in attendance on a like for like basis isn't as great (but still impressive).

WhileTheChief..
05-04-2018, 01:53 PM
This bums on seats thing.

Occasionally we get posts on here confirming one way or another what he count. How do you know?

This chat has gone on for as long as I can remember yet I’ve never seen Hibs or any other club actually come out and say.

andybev1
05-04-2018, 02:01 PM
I do hope Lennon is here for next year.

That is guaranteed IMO

DarlingtonHibee
05-04-2018, 02:02 PM
Andy hopefully you are right, but it is not guaranteed.

andybev1
05-04-2018, 02:25 PM
From what SJM has said in the past about other players staying with Hibs and his all round attitude I think he will do the right thing by us.

I also want to point out that a few months ago when people were asked who we should sign up front I said Alex Schalk, after being asked if I was joking it does not seem so much of a bad shout seeing he plays for one of the bottom clubs but is forth top of scorers (the hat-trick did not do him any harm the other night). Just sayin! :greengrin

andybev1
05-04-2018, 02:28 PM
Andy hopefully you are right, but it is not guaranteed.

lets hope I am mate

WhileTheChief..
05-04-2018, 03:32 PM
It’s as close to a guarantee as you can get. There has been zero chat, rumour or speculation about Lennon moving on other than from a few pessimistic Hibs fans!

Lets nip this in the bud before it grows arms and legs.

99.99% gauarnteed he’ll be Hibs manager for two more seasons. Probably longer. :greengrin

PatHead
05-04-2018, 04:41 PM
Greg Mailer our old Marketing guru told me that we had changed it to fall in line with other clubs.

Occasionally we get posts on here confirming one way or another what he count. How do you know?

This chat has gone on for as long as I can remember yet I’ve never seen Hibs or any other club actually come out and say.

Zazu62
05-04-2018, 05:24 PM
Europa Group stages is the dream. Can it happen?

MagicSwirlingShip
05-04-2018, 05:28 PM
Europa Group stages is the dream. Can it happen?

Of course. 2nd place will help massively.

jgl07
05-04-2018, 05:53 PM
Of course. 2nd place will help massively.
Not much use unless Celtic win the Scottish Cup. It will give entry to the second qualifying round instead of the first qualifying round.

Top four will guarantee a Europa League place unless Motherwell win the Scottish Cup in which case third place will be needed.

It is a big ask to negotiate two or three Qualifying Rounds rounds plus the Playoff Round to make the Group Stages. The latter will involve clubs dropping down from the Champions League Qualifying Rounds. Hibs will likely be unseeded in every match.

Very few Scottish clubs make it to the Group Stages let alone beyond. Things are much harder to the the changed format and the fall in the Scottish Cofficient. The McLeish team got straight to the Playoff Round and were inches away from a place in the Group Stages against AEK Athens. It is much harder now.

bigwheel
05-04-2018, 05:55 PM
Not much use unless Celtic win the Scottish Cup. It will give entry to the second qualifying round instead of the first qualifying round.

Top four will guarantee a Europa League place unless Motherwell win the Scottish Cup in which case third place will be needed.

It is a big ask to negotiate two or three Qualifying Rounds rounds plus the Playoff Round to make the Group Stages. The latter will involve clubs dropping down from the Champions League Qualifying Rounds. Hibs will likely be unseeded in every match.

Very few Scottish clubs make it to the Group Stages let alone beyond. Things are much harder to the the changed format and the fall in the Scottish Cofficient. The McLeish team got straight to the Playoff Round and were inches away from a place in the Group Stages against AEK Athens. It is much harder now.

other than the 500k increase in prize money...and the confidence boost it would give the club...

hibbyfraelibby
05-04-2018, 06:00 PM

League matches are tickets sold and cup ties, where you share the gate, are bums on seats.

MagicSwirlingShip
05-04-2018, 06:14 PM

Celtic will most likely win the Scottish Cup.

Would we then have 2 x Qualifying rounds and a Playoff Round before the Group Stage? All in the luck of the draw really. I fancy this squad to compete at that level.

I didn’t realise it was a group format back then under Mcleish, for some reason I thought the groups came in a few years later.

hibbysam
05-04-2018, 09:05 PM

AEK was the first round proper and there were no group stages at that point. Straight knockout throughout.

Since90+2
05-04-2018, 09:11 PM
Stuart Armstrong went for a couple of million did he not? Nadir ciftci was about £1.5m I think. Jack Hendry to Celtic for £1.5m is decent money

Jack Hendry cost Celtic 1.5 million? Surely not.

McD
05-04-2018, 10:13 PM

Wasnt it the same France that he had Cumkings flown out to, where they talked (and Cummings no doubt given the intros to other high profile people to impress him) and led to him signing a new deal and ending up getting the club a fee?