PDA

View Full Version : Should there have been two red cards last night?

matty_f
04-04-2018, 06:13 AM
I thought the referee bottled dishing out a secund red card virtually right after the first one when the Hamilton player fouled Hanlon (night have been Whittaker).

Was as clear a yellow card as you'll see all season, another cynical late kick at a Hibs player, and the ref completely ignored it (other than awarding us the free kick, which indicates he clearly saw the foul).

The game was still 1-1 at that point, because we ran out comfortable winners in the end the decision will be overlooked, but had Hamilton sucker punched us last night, the ref would have had a part to play by bottling the second red card of the evening.

Hibs1969
04-04-2018, 06:22 AM
Absolutely 100% a red card. I couldn’t believe McLean didn’t even book him for that. It wasn’t far off Cochrane’s attack on McGinn in the first derby.

calumhibee1
04-04-2018, 06:31 AM
It probably wasn’t a red, he didn’t leave his feet but it was as clear a booking as you’ll ever see and to not book him was mind boggling. The guy even held his hand up as if to acknowledge the booking that was coming his way.

Onion
04-04-2018, 06:36 AM
It was on Whittaker and as clear a yellow as you'll see all season, if not a straight red. For the ref to give nothing but a foul is a disgrace. And they wonder why players retaliate ???

Ref and the whole Hamilton team were disgraceful and should be nowhere near a Premier League.

WestStandWillie
04-04-2018, 06:50 AM
It was a hatchet job. They're no a football team. Offered nowt to the game and set about hacking anything that they could get near.

They've flirted with relegation too long now. Hopefully County and Plastic Whistle can get their fingers oot and send they thugs back down to the Championship. I guarantee ye that you wouldnae see them in the top flight again anytime soon.

LustForLeith
04-04-2018, 07:06 AM
I thought the ref failed to control the game. When the player got booked for the off the ball kncident with McGrehor another one of the players ran up to confront the ref. I’m sure he got booked but judging by his reaction he could have got a second for the way he spoke to the ref.

I’m not one to blame refs as it’s easy to do so and Oneeckon it’s often sour grapes. This season though there’s been some terrible decisions against Hibs.

Keith_M
04-04-2018, 07:18 AM
I’m not one to blame refs as it’s easy to do so and Oneeckon it’s often sour grapes.

Was that the name of the guy that scored their goal?

Sir David Gray
04-04-2018, 07:22 AM

Ofir Marciano.

Sir David Gray
04-04-2018, 07:26 AM

It was Marios Ogboe by the way! :greengrin

GreenCastle
04-04-2018, 07:32 AM
It was on Whittaker and as clear a yellow as you'll see all season, if not a straight red. For the ref to give nothing but a foul is a disgrace. And they wonder why players retaliate ???

Ref and the whole Hamilton team were disgraceful and should be nowhere near a Premier League.

Agreed.

The Ref and Hamilton were horrendous last night - justice that we got the 3 points but Hamilton should have had more sent off.

No respect for refs by the players - Scottish football should follow the rugby route.

staunchhibby
04-04-2018, 07:35 AM
What did Whittaker do to get booked so early.Far worse followed.

RoYO!
04-04-2018, 07:38 AM
What did Whittaker do to get booked so early.Far worse followed.

Clipped the guy from behind with a bit of a lunge.

wookie70
04-04-2018, 07:49 AM
Whittaker's was a booking and in a strange way it helped us. The ref was then forced to book most of their poor challenges resulting in them getting a man sent off. That sending off turned the game as we didn't look too likely up till then to win it.

Scottish football won't get better until regards tackle the time wasting and hacking. Hope Hamilton are relegated and Dunfermline or similar come up.

Clerie Green
04-04-2018, 07:51 AM
Yes

Golden Bear
04-04-2018, 07:56 AM
It was a cynical attempt to goad Whittaker in the hope that he'd retaliate, be yellow carded and consequently sent off.

I agree, it should have been a red card for the Hamilton hatchet man and why the ref chose to ignore it then only he knows.

:dunno:

vuefrom1875
04-04-2018, 07:58 AM
I thought the ref failed to control the game. When the player got booked for the off the ball kncident with McGrehor another one of the players ran up to confront the ref. I’m sure he got booked but judging by his reaction he could have got a second for the way he spoke to the ref.

I’m not one to blame refs as it’s easy to do so and Oneeckon it’s often sour grapes. This season though there’s been some terrible decisions against Hibs.

I'm sorry but I do blame the refs. The ineptitude and amateurish of our officials, linesmen included, is embarrassing and it beggars belief.The whole training structure needs a root and branch overhaul. There is not a capable and able ref in the country. I thought we left the majority of these clowns in the championship last season but sadly it's not the case. Oh, and just to be a tad controversial, a few of them are still hurting from a certain day in May '16.😀😀😀

Monktonhall 7
04-04-2018, 08:10 AM
I'm sorry but I do blame the refs. The ineptitude and amateurish of our officials, linesmen included, is embarrassing and it beggars belief.The whole training structure needs a root and branch overhaul. There is not a capable and able ref in the country. I thought we left the majority of these clowns in the championship last season but sadly it's not the case. Oh, and just to be a tad controversial, a few of them are still hurting from a certain day in May '16.😀😀😀

100% this. We keep hearing how bad the game is in Scotland, but for me the big issue is the SFA and the incompetent referees. I pay my money to watch decent attacking passing football, but the clowns that manage our game do nothing to encourage that. Too many teams in the league are anti football and get away with thuggery week after week by pathetic refereeing. If you read back Johnnyboys match reports, you get a flavour of the poor standards and baffling decisions we witness. No wonder our manager goes mental after every match.

JimBHibees
04-04-2018, 08:25 AM
100% this. We keep hearing how bad the game is in Scotland, but for me the big issue is the SFA and the incompetent referees. I pay my money to watch decent attacking passing football, but the clowns that manage our game do nothing to encourage that. Too many teams in the league are anti football and get away with thuggery week after week by pathetic refereeing. If you read back Johnnyboys match reports, you get a flavour of the poor standards and baffling decisions we witness. No wonder our manager goes mental after every match.

Totally agree the levels that teams are allowed to spoil, hack and waste time is ridiculous. They should be protecting the ball players and not allowing anti football teams to get away with it. Honestly can't think of a decent ref who controls that side of the game. A Hearts Hamilton game must be great to watch. Shameful that one of these teams is managed by an ex international manager. No wonder Scotland don't qualify for things and good young players don't develop as well as they should.

emerald green
04-04-2018, 10:11 AM
McLean definitely didn't do his job last night when he failed to send off a second Hamilton player. Overall, it was as poor a performance from McLean as I can remember.

leither17
04-04-2018, 10:38 AM
The rest of the team were moaning at the ref for not giving the booking,Dylan grabbed the ball told them all to get on with the game and we scored from the passage of play.

theonlywayisup
04-04-2018, 10:41 AM
Whittaker's was a booking and in a strange way it helped us. The ref was then forced to book most of their poor challenges resulting in them getting a man sent off. That sending off turned the game as we didn't look too likely up till then to win it.

Scottish football won't get better until regards tackle the time wasting and hacking. Hope Hamilton are relegated and Dunfermline or similar come up.

Re Whittaker, that's what I thought too at the time. After booking Whittaker, he had to start booking the hammer-throwers in the Hamilton team.

Re time-wasting, agree 100%. Last year I watched an A. Madrid game at their old ground, can't remember who it was against.

For the first 30 minutes, both teams were sprinting to get the ball back into play, whether that be throw-ins or goal kicks or free-kicks. There was no attempts to try and stop play, no standing in front of the ball preventing free-kicks etc.

After Madrid score, they then doubled their efforts to get a second, as did the opposition who tried to get back on level terms. The game was a joy, for a neutral football support, to watch.

Now I know many on here will refer to Spanish games when there's diving, time-wasting etc. But I saw none of that in that game, apart from the very end of the game, but that was probably because the players were knackered.

Contrast that to Scotland, where players of the 'lesser' teams seem to have taken time wasting to a new level. Who's to blame - 100% the coaches. I would guess that we only see about 60-70 minutes of football in a game, the rest is time-wasting.

Monts
04-04-2018, 10:49 AM
It was certainly a booking, and a worse challenge than the one Imre was sent off for, and I was very surprised he wasn't booked for it. As clear a booking as you'll get. But I'm not sure that player had already been booked (although I might be wrong) so no red for me. If he had already been booked he should have walked, no question.

Capt Mainwaring
04-04-2018, 11:02 AM
I thought the referee bottled dishing out a secund red card virtually right after the first one when the Hamilton player fouled Hanlon (night have been Whittaker).

Was as clear a yellow card as you'll see all season, another cynical late kick at a Hibs player, and the ref completely ignored it (other than awarding us the free kick, which indicates he clearly saw the foul).

The game was still 1-1 at that point, because we ran out comfortable winners in the end the decision will be overlooked, but had Hamilton sucker punched us last night, the ref would have had a part to play by bottling the second red card of the evening.

Correct - a clear and cynical take out, that should have been a booking but MacLean never even spoke to the Hamilton player! Utter incompetence from the Referee who clearly ignored the rules in fear of the game boiling over and a second Hamilton Red within a couple of minutes

Stevie Reid
04-04-2018, 11:11 AM
What says it all was that even though we scored a very good goal just seconds afterwards, everyone around me was still talking about their disbelief at no yellow being shown for that challenge.

SeanWilson
04-04-2018, 11:18 AM

Thought Parker was going to get sent to the stand as well!! 🤣

Hibbyradge
04-04-2018, 11:23 AM
I thought overall, the ref was fine.

Yes, he could have booked the Hamilton player, but otherwise he got most things right.

Peevemor
04-04-2018, 11:27 AM
I thought Whittaker was on dodgy ground when he fouled 2 Hamilton players in as many seconds when he was already booked.

Hermit Crab
04-04-2018, 11:28 AM
Ofir Marciano.

:tee hee:

hibby6270
04-04-2018, 11:34 AM
I'm sorry but I do blame the refs.Oh, and just to be a tad controversial, a few of them are still hurting from a certain day in May '16.😀😀😀

Ironically, last night’s ref was the same guy who has been lauded and praised by us all for that certain day in May ‘16. Looked liked he’d just pulled on the black (pink) top for the first time last night.

matty_f
04-04-2018, 12:14 PM
I thought Whittaker was on dodgy ground when he fouled 2 Hamilton players in as many seconds when he was already booked.

His second challenge was a good one, the first was a foul. :greengrin

LustForLeith
04-04-2018, 03:02 PM
Fat finger typo!

Vai
04-04-2018, 06:43 PM
For me the tackle on Whittaker was a definite yellow, no question.

Why the Referee saw NOT to book the player, or even have a word with him was unbelievable.

Thankfully Lenny was in the Stand last night - because it's exactly these type of decisions, with no explanations afterwards that send him apoplectic! And it's Lenny that then gets into trouble!

There's not even a case for the Referee being lenient to avoid a real kicking match. As it stands, that player can probably now play in their next game - and he shouldn't be!

GGTTH