PDA

View Full Version : Paul Hanlon

truehibernian
03-04-2018, 11:17 PM
Is it just me or has anyone noticed a more forward thinking and 'offensive' Paul Hanlon these last 5 games - great to see and he has almost becomes an attacking midfielder in the latter stages of games.

Not sure if it's down to the midfield balance and 'cover' but Paul has been excellent going forward and has been an integral part in goals, assists and chances, particularly in the second half of games. Certainly playing with confidence which is great to see :aok: Assist tonight, goal at the weekend, assist for Allan's derby cracker...........yet Grant Hanley gets the nod for the national side :rolleyes:

B.H.F.C
03-04-2018, 11:20 PM
Down to the shape we’re playing. Efe does much the same on the other side.

Big part of our improvement going forward IMO. Them doing that forces the rest of the team further up the park.

hibbysam
03-04-2018, 11:32 PM
Down to the shape we’re playing. Efe does much the same on the other side.

Big part of our improvement going forward IMO. Them doing that forces the rest of the team further up the park.

Yeah playing three centre halves allows one to break out at times and give us an additional option in the middle. Both are very confident with their feet as well which helps massively.

bookert
04-04-2018, 12:14 AM
Is it just me or has anyone noticed a more forward thinking and 'offensive' Paul Hanlon these last 5 games - great to see and he has almost becomes an attacking midfielder in the latter stages of games.

Not sure if it's down to the midfield balance and 'cover' but Paul has been excellent going forward and has been an integral part in goals, assists and chances, particularly in the second half of games. Certainly playing with confidence which is great to see :aok: Assist tonight, goal at the weekend, assist for Allan's derby cracker...........yet Grant Hanley gets the nod for the national side :rolleyes:
He is a fantastic player with a tremendous attitude and imho we are lucky to have him.

KWJ
04-04-2018, 12:27 AM
He was immense going forward in the win v Dundee earlier in the season at ER. Went on 3-4 mazy's down the left.

LustForLeith
04-04-2018, 06:23 AM
He made a tackle on a Hamilton forward late on where he didn’t just win the ball bur he picked himself up and managed to pass it to a Hibs player. After this the Hamilton player clapped Hanlons back as if to say well done.

Summed up a brilliant performance from Hanlon

Brightside
04-04-2018, 06:30 AM
He’s just outstanding. The best footballing CH in Scotland and it’s not even a close call anymore.

Onion
04-04-2018, 06:44 AM
Definite and deliberate change in Hanlon's approach when we're chasing games late on ... and it's great to see that from the team captain. He's a decent footballer and causes a bit of panic in defences and he did against the Yams in setting up our first for Allan, and with a great reverse ball to Kamberi last night.

Pretty Boy
04-04-2018, 06:51 AM
He's close to our player of the year. He's been outstanding all season.

brog
04-04-2018, 06:54 AM
I said on Saturday that Paul changed the game for us. Towards the end of a very flat 1st half he moved out wide & started attacking the space down the left. This meant Partick had to move a player out of a congested midfield giving us much more space in the 2nd half. Paul's an intelligent footballer, a model pro & a Hibs man. What a combo!PS, Efe & Ryan have weighed in recently as well.

The Harp Awakes
04-04-2018, 07:02 AM
He’s just outstanding. The best footballing CH in Scotland and it’s not even a close call anymore.

Agreed, by a mile. McKenna and Hendry have got into the Scotland squad before him, which is crazy. Not saying that either isn't a good prospect, but they have both been picked due to media hype; Hendry as he signed for Celtic and McKenna due to the gushing adoration for Aberdeen by the pundits on BBC Radio Scotland.

If Paul signed for Celtic or Rangers tomorrow he'd be in the next Scotland squad.

Borderhibbie76
04-04-2018, 08:30 AM
He’s just outstanding. The best footballing CH in Scotland and it’s not even a close call anymore.Absolutely this so underrated by most of the inept Scottish media and indeed some of his own fans I hesitate to add...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

green day
04-04-2018, 08:41 AM

Hanlon or Lewis for total consistency.

Thought Lewis was also great last night.

JDHibs
04-04-2018, 09:55 AM
The joys of playing a 3 at the back, 1 centre half is always able to venture forward, as even with playing against 2 up top, 1 will always drop deeper into our defensive midfield position to chase and cover.

Hibs are very fortunate to have 2 centre halfs who are not only comfortable on the ball, but can actually use it well in Hanlon and Efe

Sauzee16
04-04-2018, 09:57 AM
Hanlon or Lewis for total consistency.

Thought Lewis was also great last night.

Hanlon has been in a different level to Lewis this year.

vercol36
04-04-2018, 10:16 AM
If Hanlon doesn't get an imminent recall to the national team, I won't even feel angry at McLeish...more embarrassed for him than anything

Bostonhibby
04-04-2018, 10:20 AM
Noticed the same thing. Paul's comfortable with the ball at his feet so it's good to see this side of his game. We're lucky to have him.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Lago
04-04-2018, 10:54 AM
:top marks
Absolutely this so underrated by most of the inept Scottish media and indeed some of his own fans I hesitate to add...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

My_Wife_Camille
04-04-2018, 11:22 AM
I was saying this last night. I love Hanlon and think he's been great all season but it was pointed out to me by a mate the number of goals we've conceded directly from his mistakes and I was surprised at quite how many there have been.

KeithTheHibby
04-04-2018, 12:01 PM

He gets the nod from me despite plenty candidates.

Mr Hibs. To think if it was up to Butcher he would have punted him. Also shows a measure of PH that he signed a new 4 year contract when he could have went elsewhere for much more money.

Smartie
04-04-2018, 12:19 PM
I was saying this last night. I love Hanlon and think he's been great all season but it was pointed out to me by a mate the number of goals we've conceded directly from his mistakes and I was surprised at quite how many there have been.

A bit like with Stevenson though - when you play that number of games you are going to make mistakes, and when you make defensive mistakes you lose goals.

Even the best teams lose goals, and they often have to be attributed to someone not doing their job.

superfurryhibby
04-04-2018, 12:23 PM
If Hanlon doesn't get an imminent recall to the national team, I won't even feel angry at McLeish...more embarrassed for him than anything

I was disappointed Hanlon wasn't called up the last time. Certainly looked better than McKenna the last time Hibs played the Sheep ( I didn't really notice their CH's other than to note that they looked gash).
There is no Scottish central defender in Scotland who's as comfortable with the ball at his feet. Not quite sure what he has to do to earn a cap, but it's getting a bit strange that he's not been picked.

My_Wife_Camille
04-04-2018, 12:48 PM
A bit like with Stevenson though - when you play that number of games you are going to make mistakes, and when you make defensive mistakes you lose goals.

Even the best teams lose goals, and they often have to be attributed to someone not doing their job.
You don't need to convince me mate, I'm his biggest fan. Was just was surprised at the number that have come from Hanlon making preventable mistakes this season

snooky
04-04-2018, 01:37 PM
My selfish self is delighted that none of our players are getting the recognition they deserve.
Public exposure attracts vultures. No thanks, I'm all for keeping oor heids below the parapet.

WhileTheChief..
04-04-2018, 02:02 PM
Hanlon or Lewis for total consistency

Lets add McGregor to that.

Never makes a mistake, never lets us down, always plays brilliantly yet is constantly overlooked when the praise is dished out!

He’s been our best player since the day he signed for us.

RyeSloan
04-04-2018, 02:05 PM
You don't need to convince me mate, I'm his biggest fan. Was just was surprised at the number that have come from Hanlon making preventable mistakes this season

What was the number?!?

superfurryhibby
04-04-2018, 02:11 PM

Never makes a mistake, never lets us down, always plays brilliantly yet is constantly overlooked when the praise is dished out!

McGregor is a stalwart central defender, no doubting that, but for all his qualities, he isn't the best with the ball at his feet. He does what he does very well though.

ACLeith
04-04-2018, 03:29 PM
McGregor is a stalwart central defender, no doubting that, but for all his qualities, he isn't the best with the ball at his feet. He does what he does very well though.

It's a part of his game that has improved massively since NL arrived though

Mikey09
04-04-2018, 03:34 PM
I've given up my Scotland Travel membership up cause the likes of Hanlon keep being overlooked for Grant Hanley etc. Pathetic.

Smartie
04-04-2018, 03:43 PM
Was McGregor not let go by Sevco because Warburton wanted to play it out from the back and he didn't think McGregor had the footballing ability?

No, he doesn't do what Hanlon and Ambrose do with the ball, but he's a very solid defender indeed, and has never been found wanting when in possession.

He's a far better defender than anyone Sevco have had since he left them.

Defensive ability is often overlooked in defenders these days.

He's been a superb player for us, is aware of his own limitations and strengths and plays in a way that suits him.

yonder1875
04-04-2018, 04:02 PM

He wasn't overlooked last season when he rightfully for me was awarded the fans player of the season (The Hibs Club).

For me this season it could be any one from three of Paul Hanlon, Lewis Stevenson & Dylan McGeouch.

southsider
04-04-2018, 04:34 PM
Diaz has been brilliant and close to being the best ever Hibs c/h in my lifetime. Perhaps only McNamee & dode Stewart come close.

Wee Effen Bee
04-04-2018, 11:57 PM

How many goals has he cost us?😁 Not wanting a row, I’m just curious as to how your mate worked out how the lost goals were definitely down to a single mistake by Hanlon.

My_Wife_Camille
05-04-2018, 12:13 AM
How many goals has he cost us?😁 Not wanting a row, I’m just curious as to how your mate worked out how the lost goals were definitely down to a single mistake by Hanlon.
It really wasn’t that in depth a conversation but as I remember there were goals against Hamilton, Motherwell, Celtic and Rangers this season

05-04-2018, 12:14 AM

Bet he's counted the only goal Hearts have scored against us this season when Berra beat him to the ball by doing a sneaky tug of his shirt. Hanlon's mistake there was not rolling about the floor then screaming at the ref about it or instead of trying to play the ball he should have played the man like an 8 out 10 every match centre back does.

3pm
05-04-2018, 06:14 AM
A year left on his deal this summer?

If I am right, I’d like to see Hibs offer him a new deal at the end of the season.

The failure to renew contracts (until the last 6 months) has been an irritation of mine for years.

Humo
05-04-2018, 06:45 AM
A year left on his deal this summer?

If I am right, I’d like to see Hibs offer him a new deal at the end of the season.

The failure to renew contracts (until the last 6 months) has been an irritation of mine for years.I'd imagine that habit will die down now as we'll start to have a much better idea of our budget and what we'll be doing next season

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

greenlex
05-04-2018, 07:49 AM
Only one I can think of is in that Hamilton debacle early in the season.

EH54
05-04-2018, 08:26 AM
Hanlon has been my POTY been superb for us

JimBHibees
05-04-2018, 08:50 AM

Maybe the Morelos one v Rangers at ER though not helped by Rocky.

SChibs
05-04-2018, 09:46 AM

I do like macgregor. He is a key component in our defence but he's far from perfect. Dives in a little too much and sometimes gives away needless fouls. I do think it's just an eagerness to win the ball back though but it can be frustrating.

B.H.F.C
05-04-2018, 10:11 AM

Made a mess of a simple cross at Parkhead trying to be too clever and let Griffiths score.

I think he’s been very good this year though and playing in the back 3 really suits him. An assist on Tuesday and in the derby as he’s able to step out and join in with play.

marleyhib
06-04-2018, 12:06 AM
Paul has been class this year, definitely has been told to get forward more and he is very capable and direct. His distribution has been class too and he’s not been exposed one on one to much to pace which has been his downfall at times. Couple that with efe
Bombing forward too and Darren being rock solid it’s been the key to our success. To only have lost 6 games so far is absolutely outstanding.

hibbymark
06-04-2018, 04:43 AM
I’ve always really rated Hanlon. He’s a footballing centre half and I believe he was a forward as a youngster. My slight criticism of him in the past was that he was a little bit too nice . Never picked up many bookings, was a bit lightweight and sometimes got bullied of experienced forwards . Probably most noticeable about 3 seasons ago is that he’s physically bigger now and also big Daz’s aggressive more physical style and our team set up allows Paul to play. Another constant and consistent performer next to him in Louis who he’s now played along side for 10 years must also give huge confidence.

Definatly a candidate for player of the year but for me there is only one player of the year and it’s Martin Boyle. He has every team in this league petrified of his pace and for a winger has been incredibly consistent and massively improved this year. When we were chasing the winner against Hamilton on Tuesday every time we worked the ball out to Boyle I felt myself moving forward in my seat with a sense of excitement and anticipation that I used to get when Sproule ran at defenders as a late substitute years ago!

Good times GGTTH

SouthMoroccoStu
06-04-2018, 05:06 AM
Was McGregor not let go by Sevco because Warburton wanted to play it out from the back and he didn't think McGregor had the footballing ability?

I’m sure I heard the Huns released McGregor as they understood he was going to Killie or St Johnstone

Then he did the old switcheroo and came home to the Hibees

The rest is history

matty_f
06-04-2018, 05:53 AM
Been banging this drum for years. Hanlon is a brilliant player, if we'd signed him and 'discovered' him from some no-mark English club I don't doubt that he'd be in the Scotland squad.

I always felt that Hanlon's injury in our relegation season was a huge reason we went down. If he'd been fit I have no doubt we'd have stayed up, despite Butcher.

Daily Hibs
19-04-2022, 02:28 PM
Will Hanlon and Stevenson play under yet another manager?

Was thinking about how many different managers they have played under and:started to wonder after Saturdays debacle if there any players out there in Scottish Football who have lost more Semi Finals than them?

New manager surely has to come in and build from scratch?

Jonnyboy
19-04-2022, 02:30 PM
Just can’t help yourself, can you

Hiber-nation
19-04-2022, 02:31 PM

Was thinking about how many different managers they have played under and:started to wonder after Saturdays debacle if there any players out there in Scottish Football who have lost more Semi Finals than them?

Well done for dredging up a 4 year old thread to indulge in yet another spot of trolling.

MWHIBBIES
19-04-2022, 02:32 PM

No Hibs player has ever won more SC semi finals than Paul and Lewis

Where does that fit in with your god awful opinion?

Daily Hibs
19-04-2022, 02:32 PM
Just can’t help yourself, can you
Asking a genuine question. Some number of mangers they have played under now.

Daily Hibs
19-04-2022, 02:33 PM
Well done for dredging up a 4 year old thread to indulge in yet another spot of trolling.
How is it trolling? Every Hanlon and Stevenson thread gets deleted. Why?

Is a search facility not there to be used?

We are looking for yet another manager, yet they remain and we have lost another semi final.

LewysGot2
19-04-2022, 02:34 PM
How is it trolling?

More like why...

easty
19-04-2022, 02:34 PM

Yes.

Will you complain about it incessantly? Yes.

Jonnyboy
19-04-2022, 02:35 PM

And using that ‘genuine’ question to have a cheap pop at Hanlon and Stevenson. I shouldn’t really be surprised

LewysGot2
19-04-2022, 02:37 PM
And using that ‘genuine’ question to have a cheap pop at Hanlon and Stevenson. I shouldn’t really be surprised

Which one of them was born in the manger anyway? My money is on the Blessed Lewis 😇

the_ginger_hibee
19-04-2022, 02:54 PM
At 34 and 32, thankfully both will be phased out soon.

Players of their quality & age should be playing the role Darren McGregor played this year at Hibs. Lewis has had a bit of a renaissance in midfield, but this says more about the midfielders we have that are not contributing, rather than Lewis's performance.

Smartie
19-04-2022, 03:04 PM
They'll be 2 players that a new manager coming in will be looking forward to working with, knowing how much they have to offer us.

loanheadhibby
19-04-2022, 03:15 PM
How is it trolling? Every Hanlon and Stevenson thread gets deleted. Why?

Is a search facility not there to be used?

We are looking for yet another manager, yet they remain and we have lost another semi final.
Don't give an honest opinion on these two legends on here.

blackpoolhibs
19-04-2022, 03:17 PM

It will be down to whoever our next manager is, why did you expect an answer from the fans?:confused:

bigwheel
19-04-2022, 03:18 PM
Don't give an honest opinion on these two legends on here.

You guys keep giving your opinion on them , and you keep getting told it’s a load of Tom Kite …and rightly so …

Crab apple
19-04-2022, 03:23 PM
No Hibs player has ever won more SC semi finals than Paul and Lewis

Where does that fit in with your god awful opinion?

And in Lewis' case two cup winners medals. A true legend who never lets us down and was my man of the match on Saturday.

Brightside
19-04-2022, 03:58 PM
Paul has the required badges. I'm told an announcement will be coming soon. Player Co-Manager.

superfurryhibby
19-04-2022, 04:05 PM
And in Lewis' case two cup winners medals. A true legend who never lets us down and was my man of the match on Saturday.

Lewis looks as fit as a fiddle. Used correctly, he has plenty to offer Hibs, now and in the coming season. He’s shown his versatility and he always gives 100%. He was good on Saturday, a true leaders performance.

Hibbyradge
19-04-2022, 04:09 PM

That tells us something about their ability and contribution to the club.

Great players. Great Hibbies.

Ronniekirk
19-04-2022, 04:43 PM

Players of their quality & age should be playing the role Darren McGregor played this year at Hibs. Lewis has had a bit of a renaissance in midfield, but this says more about the midfielders we have that are not contributing, rather than Lewis's performance.

Harsh onLewis mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

allmodcons
19-04-2022, 05:00 PM

If they are fit enough to play at 32 or 34 and perform well then they should start.

Lewis was one of the best players on the park on Saturday.

If you are suggesting that those around him in our midfield are very poor, then your argument is self defeating (i.e. - if Lewis is good in a poor midfield how good would he be in a strong midfield).

Billy Whizz
19-04-2022, 05:16 PM
Paul has the required badges. I'm told an announcement will be coming soon. Player Co-Manager.

Surely not!

blackpoolhibs
19-04-2022, 05:20 PM
Surely not!
:greengrin Come on Billy, dont be so daft. :wink:

JimBHibees
19-04-2022, 05:20 PM
Surely not!

Assuming a wind up :greengrin

Billy Whizz
19-04-2022, 05:21 PM
:greengrin Come on Billy, dont be so daft. :wink: