PDA

View Full Version : Marciano

SirDavidsNapper
03-04-2018, 09:39 PM
Firstly we got the 3 points and thats all that matters really but thats 2 howlers from our number one in successive games. Against better sides we'll get punished. Hopefully just a coincidental blip but hope he gets it sorted and quick!

Thecat23
03-04-2018, 09:41 PM
Best keeper we’ve had in years. Happens to the best of keepers. He’ll be fine and save us a lot more than lose us points.

SirDavidsNapper
03-04-2018, 09:42 PM
Best keeper we’ve had in years. Happens to the best of keepers. He’ll be fine and save us a lot more than lose us points.

I rate him highly. Hope you're right.

Sammy7nil
03-04-2018, 09:44 PM

Willie Miller said top keepers don't make mistakes all season let alone two or three.

Monts
03-04-2018, 09:45 PM
The mock cheers when he caught the ball didn't help anyone

Thecat23
03-04-2018, 09:46 PM
Willie Miller said top keepers don't make mistakes all season let alone two or three.

Willie Miller hasn’t a clue then as the best keepers in the world do it.

Thecat23
03-04-2018, 09:46 PM

Twats simple as that.

BigT-Hibeez
03-04-2018, 09:47 PM
He needs to practise on his distribution too it's pretty awful..

Scouse Hibee
03-04-2018, 09:47 PM

He's not a top keeper so he's allowed a couple. He'll be fine still our best for a long time.

Lancs Harp
03-04-2018, 09:48 PM
He's not a top keeper so he's allowed a couple.

Nor was Willie Miller.

adhibs
03-04-2018, 09:49 PM
He's decent enough, but id hope we'll at least be considering replacements during the summer.

Sammy7nil
03-04-2018, 09:51 PM

Not two or three times a season they don't. But then again Rocky is not a one of the best keepers in the world if he was he would not be at Hibs.

GlesgaeHibby
03-04-2018, 09:51 PM

When was the last time you saw De Gea drop a clanger like that?

Howler from Marciano tonight, but he's also won us plenty points making saves he had no right to make.

Smartie
03-04-2018, 09:52 PM

I'm not all that convinced by him.

He can pull off the type of save I've not seen many/ any Hibs goalkeepers make.

But these mistakes are howling, and they're far too frequent.

Fortunately they haven't been too costly yet.

But they are genuinely Zibi-esque - Zibi being a goalkeeper who was actually largely decent but made his biggest mistakes in the biggest games, when they are remembered more.

Bell had a very solid couple of games when Rocky was missing, he's an experienced goalkeeper in his own right so it's not like we're talking about chucking a kid in.

If everyone is fit our team picks itself right now. Rocky's place must be the one under most threat.

SquashedFrogg
03-04-2018, 09:55 PM
When was the last time you saw De Gea drop a clanger like that?

Howler from Marciano tonight, but he's also won us plenty points making saves he had no right to make.

Watched De Gea concede a few soft goals recently. Agree though, Rocky has won us a number of points this season.

World class keepers don't play in spl.

Big guy doing fine for me.

BILLYHIBS
03-04-2018, 09:56 PM
Have highlighted in previous threads Rockys errors to date and always said he was an accident waiting to happen got shot down for it don’t want to say I told you so but we can only hope it does not affect his confidence going into the business end of the season something I think Lenny and Combe will have to keep a close eye on. His kicking and distribution was also well below the standard we have come to expect at this level.

Smartie
03-04-2018, 09:57 PM

Within a space of 10 minutes in a Hibs jersey he made a mistake that led to his team-mates playing most of a winnable game that they were leading with 10 men, then gifting a goal of a lead to a Hamilton striker.

Top goalkeepers make mistakes like that 3-4 years apart, not in consecutive games.

And there was a reason he was dropped for Ross Laidlaw earlier this season - more of this nonsense.

He needs to give himself a shake.

S4uzee
03-04-2018, 09:58 PM

Agreed. I’ve never understood anyone that does that to their own players

Pretty Boy
03-04-2018, 09:59 PM

David De Gea chucked one in for Spain the other week and he's the best in the world so I think Willie Miller is slavering pish.

Marciano made a mistake, a bad one. Folk need to deal with it. The mock cheers were pathetic especially considering the points he has helped win us this season.

Jones28
03-04-2018, 09:59 PM
Have highlighted in previous threads Rockys errors to date and always said he was an accident waiting to happen got shot down for it don’t want to say I told you so but we can only hope it does not affect his confidence going into the business end of the season something I think Lenny and Combe will have to keep a close eye on. His kicking and distribution was also well below the standard we have come to expect at this level.

You mean the standard he has been setting? A couple of errors in 2 games is unfortunate but where were his critics when he was pulling off fantastic saves week on week?

He's proven himself to be a good keeper and I'm sure he'll recover.

jakedance
03-04-2018, 10:00 PM
He’s made some exceptional saves but far too many basic errors. The search for a good keeper continues. How many years is it since Jim Leighton now?

Edit: I do think he’s one of the better keepers we’ve had in many a year but that’s not saying much unfortunately.

Thecat23
03-04-2018, 10:04 PM
When De Gea signed for Man U how many wanted him out after one season? Saying he made to many mistakes etc.

Rocky isn’t anywhere near that level but I’m not going to lie some of the criticism of him in here makes me laugh. You clearly don’t know a good keeper when you see one. That’s to all the ones who don’t rate him.

WoreTheGreen
03-04-2018, 10:05 PM
He’s made some exceptional saves but far too many basic errors. The search for a good keeper continues. How many years is it since Jim Leighton now?

Miller kens about golies as much he does running chip shops his Lewis is a howler every game

hibbysam
03-04-2018, 10:05 PM
This thread is really amusing. The big man has played a huge part in this run, arguably saving us 8-10 points during this run of 23 from 30. He made a bad decision two weeks ago and had a lapse in concentration tonight, it didn’t cost us, his saves are far more important to us than this mistake cost us.

Thecat23
03-04-2018, 10:06 PM
David De Gea chucked one in for Spain the other week and he's the best in the world so I think Willie Miller is slavering pish.

Marciano made a mistake, a bad one. Folk need to deal with it. The mock cheers were pathetic especially considering the points he has helped win us this season.

PB I wouldn’t bother, it’s unreal the crap on here about him. He’s the best keeper we’ve had in years.

BILLYHIBS
03-04-2018, 10:07 PM
You mean the standard he has been setting? A couple of errors in 2 games is unfortunate but where were his critics when he was pulling off fantastic saves week on week?

He's proven himself to be a good keeper and I'm sure he'll recover.
Christie Scottish Cup SF free kick
Morelos near post howler December 2017
Aberdeen second goal pittodrie
St Johnstone sending off
Hamilton dropped the ball at strikers feet

The list is growing longer

Football is all about opinions but still no convinced

Ryan69
03-04-2018, 10:09 PM

And how qualified to speak about Goalkeepers is Willie Miller?
He is our best keeper and our number 1.

gillythehibby
Wondered who would start a Maciano thread.
Away and ***** !! He made a mistake. So what. Players do it all the time. He's been excellent all season. First thing we should have done as fans was get right behind him.

Pretty Boy
PB I wouldn’t bother, it’s unreal the crap on here about him. He’s the best keeper we’ve had in years.

12 hours ago Celtic were going to have to shell out millions for him. A mistake later and he's an accident waiting to happen and no one has ever been convinced by him.

No wonder they say you have to be crazy to be a keeper.

Thecat23
03-04-2018, 10:10 PM
St Johnstone sending off

First one was McGeouchs fault he left the wall. Clearly you don’t like the guy. Maybe you could post the saves he’s made that saved us? Including one that is fav to win save of the season.

Thecat23
03-04-2018, 10:10 PM
12 hours ago Celtic were going to have to shell out millions for him. A mistake later and he's an accident waiting to happen and no one has ever been convinced by him.

Exactly!!

dp00
03-04-2018, 10:11 PM
What was story with bell ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sammy7nil
03-04-2018, 10:13 PM

I think Miller said how many mistakes are you allowed before you are not considered to be a top keeper he laughed and said none. However i agree with his sentiment Rocky is not a top keeper be is fine but needs to reduce the number of basic errors quickly or he will find himself watching g a few games.

People may not like Miller but I will wager he knows far more about football than the vast majority on here.

SquashedFrogg
St Johnstone sending off

Oh dear.

MyJo
St Johnstone sending off

Biggest load of pish I’ve read on here in a long time.

Clerie Green
03-04-2018, 10:15 PM
and if it had been against the diets ?

Sammy7nil
03-04-2018, 10:15 PM

I think that says more about Hibs net posters than Rockies true worth :greengrin

Sammy7nil
03-04-2018, 10:16 PM
Oh dear.

Yip he has made a few :greengrin

hibbysam
03-04-2018, 10:19 PM
and if it had been against the diets ?

We won 3-1, so who cares?

If you’d be complaining about our keeper after pumping hertz then it maybe says more about you.

we are hibs
03-04-2018, 10:20 PM
Within a space of 10 minutes in a Hibs jersey he made a mistake that led to his team-mates playing most of a winnable game that they were leading with 10 men, then gifting a goal of a lead to a Hamilton striker.

Top goalkeepers make mistakes like that 3-4 years apart, not in consecutive games.

And there was a reason he was dropped for Ross Laidlaw earlier this season - more of this nonsense.

utter nonsense.

he is the best keeper we've had in years, people like you deserve to watch Oxley every week.

wookie70
03-04-2018, 10:22 PM
He has been good enough this season to earn some leeway. I'm not as convinced as some, for me he is decent and not much else. Reminds me a bit of Ambrose in a way. Capable of brilliance but dozes off and lacks concentration.

SquashedFrogg
03-04-2018, 10:26 PM
Yip he has made a few :greengrin

I'm still waiting for the list of terrific saves to add balance 😜

DaveF
He has been good enough this season to earn some leeway. I'm not as convinced as some, for me he is decent and not much else. Reminds me a bit of Ambrose in a way. Capable of brilliance but dozes off and lacks concentration.

More or less my view too. Tonight's mistake was an absolute shocker and can only be down to a lack of concentration. In fact, minutes before it he was almost closed down while clearing the ball. He just never seemed to be tuned in at all tonight for whatever reason.

BILLYHIBS
First one was McGeouchs fault he left the wall. Clearly you don’t like the guy. Maybe you could post the saves he’s made that saved us? Including one that is fav to win save of the season.
I don’t dislike the guy never meet him. My issue with the guy is while I admit he has made a few miraculous saves for us his mistakes are becoming more and more frequent . Cammy Bell on the other hand has played two games for us performing admirably doing every that has been asked of him consistent reliable looks to be an experienced safe pair of hands.

Hermit Crab
03-04-2018, 10:30 PM
There has been a few howlers but his top class saves far outweigh his errors, he's a steady keeper for us. Distribution from kick outs are questionable though.

hibbysam
03-04-2018, 10:30 PM
I don’t dislike the guy never meet him. My issue with the guy is while I admit he has made a few miraculous saves for us his mistakes are becoming more and more frequent . Cammy Bell on the other hand has played two games for us performing admirably doing every that has been asked of him consistent reliable looks to be an experienced safe pair of hands.

More and more frequent? You gave about 6 examples, over a year, half of which weren’t his fault. Would your opinion be the same if Partick’s goal stood on Saturday and we lost? Bell got away with that one. Marciano is a really good keeper for Hibs, Cammy Bell is a solid understudy. A couple of mistakes doesn’t chang that.

truehibernian
03-04-2018, 10:36 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHpp_5U7jus

Now a £350,000 a week keeper who cost Man Utd £19 million.....................:cb:greengrin

Rocky has saved a fair few points this season, notably keeping us in it at Rugby Park recently and vital saves at Ibrox in the 2-1 win - he's been a huge part of this season's success so cut him some slack.

BILLYHIBS
03-04-2018, 10:38 PM
More and more frequent? You gave about 6 examples, over a year, half of which weren’t his fault. Would your opinion be the same if Partick’s goal stood on Saturday and we lost? Bell got away with that one. Marciano is a really good keeper for Hibs, Cammy Bell is a solid understudy. A couple of mistakes doesn’t chang that.
Dont know how you can say Bell got away with it Ref never gave it end of.Hibs on the other hand -for a change got the rub of the green as looked a good goal from where I was sitting - giving them the impetus to go up the pitch and score the opener.

Criswell
03-04-2018, 10:40 PM
Anyone notice he was out at half-time getting practice at catching the ball? Pretty sure that would have been ordered by NL.

hibbysam
03-04-2018, 10:40 PM
Dont know how you can say Bell got away with it Ref never gave it end of.Hibs on the other hand -for a change got the rub of the green as looked a good goal from where I was sitting - giving them the impetus to go up the pitch and score the opener.

So you say it was a ‘good goal’ but Bell didn’t get away with it? It was a marginal decision that went in our favour but Bell was very lucky it wasn’t given.

ancient hibee
03-04-2018, 10:42 PM
Anyone notice he was out at half-time getting practice at catching the ball? Pretty sure that would have been ordered by NL.
He does that every week so pretty sure it had nothing to do with Neil Lennon.

Smartie
03-04-2018, 10:43 PM
utter nonsense.

he is the best keeper we've had in years, people like you deserve to watch Oxley every week.

Which bit of it is nonsense?

He's made 2 howlers in very quick succession - that is a fact.

He made an uninspiring start to the season, so when Laidlaw came into the side and played well, Lennon was justified in leaving him in the team.

Rocky then went on an excellent run of form.

I'm not demanding he gets punted - I'm saying he needs to give himself s shake. His team got him out of jail tonight - Accies wouldn't even have had a shot at goal tonight if Rocky hadn't gifted them one.

Oh, and I liked Oxley. A bit uninspiring, didn't make any of the great saves Marciano does, but he did the basics well.

BoomtownHibees
03-04-2018, 10:44 PM

What, the same thing that happens at half time in every game?

BoomtownHibees
03-04-2018, 10:45 PM

He made an uninspiring start to the season, so when Laidlaw came into the side and played well, Lennon was justified in leaving him in the team.

I'm not demanding he gets punted - I'm saying he needs to give himself s shake. His team got him out of jail tonight - Accies wouldn't even have had a shot at goal tonight if Rocky hadn't gifted them one.

Oh, and I liked Oxley. A bit uninspiring, didn't make any of the great saves Marciano does, but he did the basics well.

He’s got us out of jail a good few times this season as well

BILLYHIBS
03-04-2018, 10:49 PM
So you say it was a ‘good goal’ but Bell didn’t get away with it? It was a marginal decision that went in our favour but Bell was very lucky it wasn’t given.
Still don’t understand how if it was given it can be construed as being Bells fault as he was left unprotected from a corner he made the save and the guy knocks the ball in from an offside position Sportscene actually showed that Efe had effectively played the guy on onside with his header If Bell hadn’t made the save it would have been a goal obviously so how is it Bells fault this is all hypothetical!!!!

hibbysam
03-04-2018, 10:50 PM
Still don’t understand how if it was given it can be construed as being Bells fault as he was left unprotected from a corner he made the save and the guy knocks the ball in from an offside position Sportscene actually showed that Efe had effectively played the guy on onside with his header If Bell hadn’t made the save it would have been a goal obviously so how is it Bells fault this is all hypothetical!!!!

Bell didn’t save it? He palmed it into the goal.

inglisavhibs
03-04-2018, 10:52 PM
He's decent enough, but id hope we'll at least be considering replacements during the summer.

we don't need a replacement, rocky is as good as we will get.

Scouse Hibee
03-04-2018, 10:54 PM

Unless my eyes decieved me he got a hand to it but the spin of the ball took it over, he certainly didn't palm it into the goal.

inglisavhibs
03-04-2018, 10:57 PM
I'm not all that convinced by him.

He can pull off the type of save I've not seen many/ any Hibs goalkeepers make.

But these mistakes are howling, and they're far too frequent.

Fortunately they haven't been too costly yet.

But they are genuinely Zibi-esque - Zibi being a goalkeeper who was actually largely decent but made his biggest mistakes in the biggest games, when they are remembered more.

Bell had a very solid couple of games when Rocky was missing, he's an experienced goalkeeper in his own right so it's not like we're talking about chucking a kid in.

If everyone is fit our team picks itself right now. Rocky's place must be the one under most threat.

rocky will settle down and be our goalie for a while, far better keeper than bell. if bell was so good why hasn't he been playing this season. that said bell did very well as a stand in.

BILLYHIBS
03-04-2018, 10:57 PM
So why did the Ref not give the goal?
Either he saw an infringement or someone was in an offside position.
No goal so no one to blame

Thecat23
03-04-2018, 10:58 PM
Bell is a good No.2. I’m delighted to have someone like Rocky as our No.1. This thread though has made me laugh so at least that’s something. 😁

Mikey09
St Johnstone sending off

Would you care to list the number of saves he's made that's contributed to a result? Or do you just focus on the negative aspects of his game?

Smartie
He’s got us out of jail a good few times this season as well

He has, to be fair.

I don't think I've ever known a goalkeeper who is so likely to win you so many points, yet also risk losing you so many.

I guess he frustrates me because he does the hardest stuff so well, yet makes silly mistakes.

I also get the feeling that standards expected throughout the side are constantly creeping up. I don't think we should be beyond questioning any of our players if mistakes start to creep in.

hibbysam
03-04-2018, 11:01 PM
Unless my eyes decieved me he got a hand to it but the spin of the ball took it over, he certainly didn't palm it into the goal.

Not for me, he just didn’t get a strong enough hand on a fairly routine stop. However, it was more an example that Bell isn’t flawless like the poster wanted to believe; I think Bell is a good understudy, Marciano is a very good keeper and rightfully our number one.

Dashing Bob S
03-04-2018, 11:02 PM
Have to admire Rocky making a deliberate mistake in order to try to make the game into a genuine contest and provide some interest for the paying customers. Sadly it just wasn’t enough.

hibbysam
03-04-2018, 11:04 PM
So why did the Ref not give the goal?
Either he saw an infringement or someone was in an offside position.
No goal so no one to blame

All I said was he was lucky, which he was. You said yourself the goal should’ve counted, the referee presumed there was an offside, which replays showed there wasn’t. Bell should’ve stopped all confusion by making the save, he didn’t. Again, all irrelevant but goes to show Bell isn’t flawless like you believe. Marciano has had an outstanding season for us, wed be at least 8-10 points worse off it it wasn’t for him.

Hibee Mac
03-04-2018, 11:07 PM
He's lost us 2 points this season based on the St Johnston game, he's won/saved far more points than that!

I think the criticism of him is being amplified because he's probably made his two only big mistakes of the season one after the other. Everyone chill, we have a great keeper between the sticks right now so enjoy it.

matty_f
03-04-2018, 11:08 PM
Minging conditions for a keeper, tonight.

Rocky is a cracking keeper, imho. Yes he makes the is mistake but such is the life of a goalie - every keeper at this level makes them.

The difference is Rocky is far more capable than most in this league of ensuring we get something from most games.

hfc rd
03-04-2018, 11:10 PM
Wondered who would start a Maciano thread.
Away and ***** !! He made a mistake. So what. Players do it all the time. He's been excellent all season. First thing we should have done as fans was get right behind him.

Couldn’t agree more. All the best GK’s in the world have made mistakes in there career. De Gea, Neuer, Lloris, Courtois, Buffon, Ederson, Donnarumma, Ter Stegen, Cech etc have made clangers in there careers before. If there was anything as the most perfect ever GK in the world, he wouldn’t be at Hibs.

Marciano, yes should have done better for the Accies goal but he’s been a solid performer throughout the season when called upon.

BILLYHIBS
03-04-2018, 11:11 PM
Don’t think he is flawless far from it . I just feel that he has been ok in the two games he has played for us. I feel that Rocky like with Efe his brilliance is compounded by his errors but Rocky being a goalie will not get away with as much as Efe as his errors will be highlighted more

NAE NOOKIE
03-04-2018, 11:12 PM
Rocky is a decent keeper capable from time to time of real brilliance .... but he wont be endearing himself to his manager with two howlers in successive matches. NL has shown he isn't afraid to drop him before and with Bell playing well in both games he has played he must know its on the cards if he doesn't buck up.

I don't know what was wrong with him tonight but howler apart his kicking was poor and he was slow off his line at least twice as McGregor tried to usher the ball back to him .... I don't believe he could be rusty after just one and a bit games out, so its simply a lack of concentration for me and he needs to work on it.

Still think overall he is a good keeper and I wouldn't want to see him dropped on the back of two poor games.

Borderhibbie76
03-04-2018, 11:14 PM
PB I wouldn’t bother, it’s unreal the crap on here about him. He’s the best keeper we’ve had in years.It's a joke TC but guess the moaners need something to moan about at the moment. Big Guy has been brilliant for us this season...yes he dropped a danger tonight but it happens to every keeper at this level regardless of what some say on here

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thecat23
03-04-2018, 11:20 PM
It's a joke TC but guess the moaners need something to moan about at the moment. Big Guy has been brilliant for us this season...yes he dropped a danger tonight but it happens to every keeper at this level regardless of what some say on here

Bang on BH, the weather tonight didn’t help him he’s prob just thought routine save when really he should take into account how wet it was. Other than that though Rocky has been superb this season and when he does leave us we’ll be looking back thinking what a keeper we had!

HibbiesandtheBaddies
03-04-2018, 11:22 PM
Not going to stress about it.

We have 2 decent keepers at the moment, let them fight it out for the starting position.

Nakedmanoncrack
03-04-2018, 11:32 PM
He has, to be fair.

I don't think I've ever known a goalkeeper who is so likely to win you so many points, yet also risk losing you so many.

I guess he frustrates me because he does the hardest stuff so well, yet makes silly mistakes.

I also get the feeling that standards expected throughout the side are constantly creeping up. I don't think we should be beyond questioning any of our players if mistakes start to creep in.

:agree:

Stuart93
04-04-2018, 12:08 AM
A lot of posters getting on their high horses to defend rocky when some people are only pointing out that he's now made 2 big errors in two consecutive games, tonight's one not being as bad as we went on to win.

No denying he's a good keeper who can produce brilliance at times but seemed a bit off it tonight, his distribution/balls up field were awful, almost every one hit a Hamilton player.

Hi Heid Yin
04-04-2018, 12:59 AM
Being a keeper is the most thankless and potentially soul-destroying position to play in - one mistake and it's pounced upon by a ruthless media and beamed all around the world - captured for perpetuity and replayed incessantly.
Having watched footie for over 50 years I have grown to appreciate the bravery of every keeper and the thick-skin they need to cope with life under the unforgiving microscope.
I don't know a single keeper in those 50 years of watching who has not spilled a ball or suffered a nightmare at some point.
I have also seen enough goalies to know when we have "quality" between the sticks.
For me, Rocky is quality, maybe not EPL quality but quality all the same.

NZ Green
04-04-2018, 01:27 AM
I think he's great, SPL football isnt world class, keepers are allowed to make the odd mistake. His clean sheets have won us enough point to claim his spot.

Allant1981
04-04-2018, 06:56 AM

was he not dropped for some religious thing?

Smartie
04-04-2018, 07:05 AM
was he not dropped for some religious thing?

Yes, he was.

But he wasn't immediately reinstated, as his form previously had been a bit dodgy, and Laidlaw had done well in his absence.

we are hibs
04-04-2018, 07:08 AM
A lot of posters getting on their high horses to defend rocky when some people are only pointing out that he's now made 2 big errors in two consecutive games, tonight's one not being as bad as we went on to win.

No denying he's a good keeper who can produce brilliance at times but seemed a bit off it tonight, his distribution/balls up field were awful, almost every one hit a Hamilton player.

maybe something to do with the fact he made a mistake then there were absolute morons sarcastically applauding him when he caught a ball after it. That does zero for his confidence.

Speedy
04-04-2018, 07:23 AM
What was story with bell ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Injured.

He had a heavy fall on Saturday in the 2nd half and got treatment. Stayed on but I'm guessing he was a bit stiff from that.

Allant1981
04-04-2018, 07:26 AM
Yes, he was.

But he wasn't immediately reinstated, as his form previously had been a bit dodgy, and Laidlaw had done well in his absence.

but you implied he was dropped because of his form, he wasnt

SChibs
04-04-2018, 07:34 AM
St Johnstone sending off

You could make a list this long for every keeper in the league. Great keepers come at a premium price for a reason and hibs aren't in the position to pay big money. Rocky is fine.

NORTHERNHIBBY
04-04-2018, 08:10 AM
Seeing it back it looks like he was caught cold. Maybe his preparation for the game was not right? Had he shipped that one to make the score 3-1 I am not sure that there would have been the same reaction.

hibbysam
04-04-2018, 08:14 AM
Seeing it back it looks like he was caught cold. Maybe his preparation for the game was not right? Had he shipped that one to make the score 3-1 I am not sure that there would have been the same reaction.

I don’t think so. Just a lapse in concentration meaning the ball skipping off the surface just in front of him resulted in the mistake.

Golden Bear
04-04-2018, 08:19 AM
I've not read this entire thread, I don't like slagging our own players but what I will say is that the defence in general looks more comfortable with Cammy Bell in goals.

Borderhibbie76
04-04-2018, 08:26 AM
I've not read this entire thread, I don't like slagging our own players but what I will say is that the defence in general looks more comfortable with Cammy Bell in goals.Utter nonsense...we have the 3rd best defensive record in league and Rocky has more than played his part in that. Some utter rubbish being posted on this thread ...unbelievable

Smartie
04-04-2018, 08:32 AM
but you implied he was dropped because of his form, he wasnt

No, technically he wasn't.

But his form hadn't been great prior to that meaning that an International goalkeeper, a marquee signing wasn't rushed back in to replace a free transfer signing from Raith Rovers who was only ever really signed to be a steady back-up.

Not technically dropped, but you know what I mean.

Rocky has been generally superb since then, in spite of the odd blip, so it was correct that he was brought straight back into the side to replace Bell, even if Bell wasn't injured.

But in my opinion his mistake last night as well as his consistently dodgy kicking mean that Lennon should be thinking about this position - especially with Bell having been solid in Rocky's absence.

flash
04-04-2018, 08:33 AM

If you prefer Oxley over Rocky it's probably time to pull the power lead out the back of your laptop.

we are hibs
04-04-2018, 08:33 AM
I've not read this entire thread, I don't like slagging our own players but what I will say is that the defence in general looks more comfortable with Cammy Bell in goals.

which your basing on what? 2 games?

Golden Bear
04-04-2018, 08:36 AM
which your basing on what? 2 games?

Yip.

hibbysam
04-04-2018, 08:39 AM
No, technically he wasn't.

But his form hadn't been great prior to that meaning that an International goalkeeper, a marquee signing wasn't rushed back in to replace a free transfer signing from Raith Rovers who was only ever really signed to be a steady back-up.

Not technically dropped, but you know what I mean.

Rocky has been generally superb since then, in spite of the odd blip, so it was correct that he was brought straight back into the side to replace Bell, even if Bell wasn't injured.

But in my opinion his mistake last night as well as his consistently dodgy kicking mean that Lennon should be thinking about this position - especially with Bell having been solid in Rocky's absence.

Don’t you think it was more to do with the fact Laidlaw had a few chances and was superb in all those games? Not just solid but genuinely played very well so deserved to stay in.

JimBHibees
04-04-2018, 08:47 AM
Bang on BH, the weather tonight didn’t help him he’s prob just thought routine save when really he should take into account how wet it was. Other than that though Rocky has been superb this season and when he does leave us we’ll be looking back thinking what a keeper we had!

Agree totally he has been great for us however back to back mistakes one of which cost us a comfortable win imo is worrying when margins are tight. Can't afford many more if hoping to get 2nd or 3rd.

Smartie
04-04-2018, 09:00 AM
Don’t you think it was more to do with the fact Laidlaw had a few chances and was superb in all those games? Not just solid but genuinely played very well so deserved to stay in.

Yes, it was a bit to do with that.

But Rocky hadn't done anything to suggest he should be rushed back in ahead of Laidlaw. Rocky didn't start the season that strongly - I thought it was good management from Lennon to show him not to take his place for granted, and Rocky's form for the next few months was excellent.

BILLYHIBS
04-04-2018, 09:05 AM
Just seen Neil Lennons post match interview in which he says he is happy with Rocky and doesn’t have a problem with him.
That is good enough for me.

Smartie
04-04-2018, 09:06 AM
If you prefer Oxley over Rocky it's probably time to pull the power lead out the back of your laptop.

That's not what I said.

I said I quite liked Oxley - he certainly should not be the yardstick of crapness that Hibs goalkeepers are measured against. He was a solid keeper, and didn't make many mistakes.

I do like Rocky, but I'm surprised at the level of support he seems to be getting. He's good, a lot better than many we've had in the past, but he's far from perfect, and tbh I'm not totally convinced by him. He didn't do much right last night, and on another night that might have cost us.

SirDavidsNapper
04-04-2018, 09:08 AM
Rocky is a good keeper but i don't feel comfortable all the time. My worry is if the mistakes continue (and there's been a few) the defence might get flustered.

We usually get away with it against bottom 6 sides but we won't against the Ugly Sisters and Hear..... Aberdeen.

He can be extremely good so if he wasn't prone to the odd error he would be playing at a much, much higher level so i guess its a double edged sword.

Greenbeard
04-04-2018, 09:18 AM
Just seen the highlights. Here's a wee grenade. When we lost possession ahead of their sweep up the park, McGeouch was 3 or 4m away. McGinn in that same position would have put in a wee burst, been right on the Well boy and maybe even won the ball back to keep us on the attack. McGeouch just lets him go and is soon 20m adrift as he jogs along letting the Well boy run with the ball for 50m. I know this is a thread on Marciano but just saying. Not excusing Rocky, it was a howler, but I agree with many others that his pros have outweighed the cons this season. And before anyone bites back on the blue-eyed boy, same goes for McGeouch. I just wish he would react quicker and work harder tracking back sometimes.

Jones28
04-04-2018, 09:20 AM
St Johnstone sending off

And also in that time as per Neil Lennon in the Sun/record whichever it was, he has also won us 10/12 points this season.

Fantastic reaction save against Dundee at er
Double save against rangers at Ibrox
Mitchell shot at Tynecastle

Are the ones off the top of my head I can remember.

Total hysteria in here when it comes to goalkeepers now.

BILLYHIBS
04-04-2018, 09:27 AM
And also in that time as per Neil Lennon in the Sun/record whichever it was, he has also won us 10/12 points this season.

Fantastic reaction save against Dundee at er
Double save against rangers at Ibrox
Mitchell shot at Tynecastle

Are the ones off the top of my head I can remember.

Total hysteria in here when it comes to goalkeepers now.
Time will tell. Jury still out.

wookie70
04-04-2018, 09:48 AM
Just seen the highlights. Here's a wee grenade. When we lost possession ahead of their sweep up the park, McGeouch was 3 or 4m away. McGinn in that same position would have put in a wee burst, been right on the Well boy and maybe even won the ball back to keep us on the attack. McGeouch just lets him go and is soon 20m adrift as he jogs along letting the Well boy run with the ball for 50m. I know this is a thread on Marciano but just saying. Not excusing Rocky, it was a howler, but I agree with many others that his pros have outweighed the cons this season. And before anyone bites back on the blue-eyed boy, same goes for McGeouch. I just wish he would react quicker and work harder tracking back sometimes.

Ambrose was even worse. He had left the scorer at the point the ball was about to be crossed. McGeough often leaves runners and it has contributed to us losing a number of goals this season. Saying all that it was a bread and butter cross for a goalie and he made a complete hash of it. He looked nervous last night probably because he cost us two points in the last fixtures. His mistake never cost us last night so hopefully he is back to gaining us points on Saturday.

emerald green
04-04-2018, 09:57 AM

Who is "the Well boy"? Hibs were playing Hamilton Accies last night. :confused:

neil7908
04-04-2018, 09:59 AM
He is was doing really well up until the St Johnstone game with debate raging on here about whether he was the best keeper in the league or not.

I'm a big fan of his but he does need to cut out the mistakes. Some of the saves he's produced this season alone have been incredible so I think we need to take a balanced view.

Johnny_Leith
04-04-2018, 10:00 AM

Neil Lennon is the jury 😂 and he thinks Marciano has saved us 10/12 points!

Sauzee16
04-04-2018, 10:04 AM

He also called him unprofessional for the Morelos blunder, was fuming at him in Perth and dropped him at the beginning of the season. Just posting this for the balance I think the criticism is ott partially because of the previous clowns we’ve had in goals.

Greenbeard
04-04-2018, 10:11 AM
Who is "the Well boy"? Hibs were playing Hamilton Accies last night. :confused:
C Nile on the team sheet!

emerald green
04-04-2018, 10:14 AM
C Nile on the team sheet!

:greengrin

Greenbeard
04-04-2018, 10:19 AM

Actually it might have been D Mensha, him that came on early. Can't tell them apart.

Johnny_Leith
04-04-2018, 10:40 AM
He also called him unprofessional for the Morelos blunder, was fuming at him in Perth and dropped him at the beginning of the season. Just posting this for the balance I think the criticism is ott partially because of the previous clowns we’ve had in goals.

He's not perfect and will cost us goals. He'll also save us goals. Lennon continues to pick him and at this level he'll gain us more points than he'll cost us.

Nature of a keeper, every single one has a howler at some point. Hopefully he can kick on and get back to form.

Wee Effen Bee
04-04-2018, 10:43 AM

No really Billy, a few of you have already found him culpable. 😁
Not having a go as the forum would be as dull as watching Hertz without people debating on the (de)merits of our players. I think more of us are happy with Rocky than those who prefer Bell or someone else but that doesn’t mean we’re happy with any fkups. It was a cringey moment last night but I was cringing more when a few Hibbies sarcastically cheered when he caught the ball later!

Sauzee16
04-04-2018, 10:48 AM
He's not perfect and will cost us goals. He'll also save us goals. Lennon continues to pick him and at this level he'll gain us more points than he'll cost us.

Nature of a keeper, every single one has a howler at some point. Hopefully he can kick on and get back to form.

I agree completely.

H18 SFR
04-04-2018, 10:52 AM
I think we have to be careful. Whilst Cammy Bell is decent let's not pretend for one minute that he is some kind of goalkeeping legend. He couldn't get a game at Kilmarnock in front of a journeyman in the shape of McDonald, he was calamity prone himself at Rangers, the playoff vs Motherwell was a shambles.

A bit of perspective is that Bell was an understudy at the team immediately below us, he's not exactly arms and legs ahead of Rocky, far from it.

Sammy7nil
04-04-2018, 10:53 AM

We are the Jury NL is the Judge :wink: NL will decide if punishment is required :greengrin

Brooster
04-04-2018, 11:01 AM
He was brutal last night and brutal in his last game. Needs replaced.

Scouse Hibee
04-04-2018, 11:11 AM

Imagine if every player was replaced after two consecutive mistakes. Continuity would be impossible.

hibee_girl
04-04-2018, 11:11 AM

Brutal? Really?

BoomtownHibees
04-04-2018, 11:20 AM

Slaver

Arch Stanton
04-04-2018, 11:23 AM

The seasons in it's final stretch and your jury still can't make it's mind up?

You don't think it's because the jury is just a figment of your imagination. :agree:

WestStandWillie
04-04-2018, 11:35 AM
:blah::blah::blah::blah::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotfl mao::rotflmao:

Too much Football Manager for some on here.

Might print this off for bog roll later :aok:

Stokesy's on fire
04-04-2018, 11:41 AM

Willie Miller is a joke never mind anything he says the mans pathetic.

hibby6270
04-04-2018, 12:00 PM

Bit strong. Yeah - he had one thing to do of note and made a pig’s ear of it but spent the other 89 minutes and 55 seconds as virtually a spectator apart from the odd goal kick and pass back kick out.
Stats say Hamilton had one other off target shot, so he was hardly overworked. Testament either to how poor Hamilton were or, as I’d prefer to say, how superior we were against a team who were a million miles from the one who beat us very easily earlier in the season.

We all need to calm down about Rocky’s inconsistency. He’s been far more of a benefit than a hindrance for us this season.

matty_f
04-04-2018, 12:04 PM
Not taking away that he should have done better, but if you watch it again the ball looks to pick up pace as it bounces just before Rocky. He should still be holding it, but it's not as easy a take as I thought it was at first.

Solonleith1
04-04-2018, 12:06 PM
He has been outstanding all season. Killie away in particular springs to mind. Effectively won us the point in that second half when we were under the cosh. All keepers have a blip. Just needs to be careful it doesn't become habit as we have seen with so many keepers and unfortunately too many of our own over the years.

Sauzee16
04-04-2018, 12:13 PM
Bit strong. Yeah - he had one thing to do of note and made a pig’s ear of it but spent the other 89 minutes and 55 seconds as virtually a spectator apart from the odd goal kick and pass back kick out.
Stats say Hamilton had one other off target shot, so he was hardly overworked. Testament either to how poor Hamilton were or, as I’d prefer to say, how superior we were against a team who were a million miles from the one who beat us very easily earlier in the season.

We all need to calm down about Rocky’s inconsistency. He’s been far more of a benefit than a hindrance for us this season.

My worry is the amount of big games coming up. Hopefully his confidence won’t be dented as we will need a lot more from him than last night and in Perth.

Smartie
04-04-2018, 12:15 PM
Not taking away that he should have done better, but if you watch it again the ball looks to pick up pace as it bounces just before Rocky. He should still be holding it, but it's not as easy a take as I thought it was at first.

It's one of those ones where there is no middle ground.

If he holds it, it's a really good take in difficult conditions.

If he spills it, it's a howler.

hibbysam
04-04-2018, 12:22 PM
My worry is the amount of big games coming up. Hopefully his confidence won’t be dented as we will need a lot more from him than last night and in Perth.

He’s like Craig Gordon, shown to be far better when he has more to do. Less chance to fall asleep.

Wheat Hound
04-04-2018, 12:29 PM
Best keeper we've had since Leighton and has saved us more points this season than any keeper has done for us in many a year.

One handling error last night does not justify the criticism on thus thread and I think we should be grateful to have a keeper like him. I'm totally supportive of him being out no.1 for years to come hopefully and I'm sure that's Lennons view too.

Sauzee16
04-04-2018, 12:34 PM
He’s like Craig Gordon, shown to be far better when he has more to do. Less chance to fall asleep.

Fair point. Even the rangers mistake he had very little to do in between.

hibbysam
04-04-2018, 12:35 PM
Fair point. Even the rangers mistake he had very little to do in between.

And wasn’t helped at all by Hanlon selling himself that night.

Sauzee16
04-04-2018, 12:36 PM
Best keeper we've had since Leighton and has saved us more points this season than any keeper has done for us in many a year.

One handling error last night does not justify the criticism on thus thread and I think we should be grateful to have a keeper like him. I'm totally supportive of him being out no.1 for years to come hopefully and I'm sure that's Lennons view too.

He’s made a few mistakes and was even dropped earlier in the season, his handling error was after a brain fart that cost us the points in Perth. He’s a good solid goalie at this level, yes but isn’t immune from correct criticism.

Sauzee16
04-04-2018, 12:37 PM
And wasn’t helped at all by Hanlon selling himself that night.

True but it was ‘still’ some blunder. Lennon even called him unprofessional .

Hibbyradge
04-04-2018, 12:49 PM

Statistics will show that Marciano had one "save" to make during the entire game.

He spilt it and cost us a goal.

Therefore he made 100% mistakes. Shocking.

Am I doing this right?

Allant1981
04-04-2018, 12:59 PM
He’s made a few mistakes and was even dropped earlier in the season, his handling error was after a brain fart that cost us the points in Perth. He’s a good solid goalie at this level, yes but isn’t immune from correct criticism.

he wasn't dropped, he had an agreement to miss some games and then laidlaw played well when he got a chance

Clerie Green
04-04-2018, 01:04 PM
Definitely going for Rocky for the first scorer in the next game :wink:

Sauzee16
04-04-2018, 01:09 PM
he wasn't dropped, he had an agreement to miss some games and then laidlaw played well when he got a chance

So he was dropped from the 1st team then?

Hibbyradge
04-04-2018, 01:15 PM

It's not accurate to say he was dropped.

Laidlaw was kept on because he'd performed well, not because Rocky had performed poorly.

Laidlaw was dropped.

Carheenlea
04-04-2018, 01:18 PM
Neil Lennon brushed it off citing a bit of rustiness after a bit of time out. Easier to brush it aside after a comfortable enough 3-1 win, but listening to the managers words there doesn’t seem like there’s a lot of concern over the form of Marciano.

Sauzee16
04-04-2018, 01:19 PM
It's not accurate to say he was dropped.

Laidlaw was kept on because he'd performed well, not because Rocky had performed poorly.

Laidlaw was dropped.

I do understand the circumstances but if a player loses his spot in the first team for another it’s dropped. Silly debate regardless as he’s much better than Laidlaw and is correctly our number 1.

BILLYHIBS
04-04-2018, 02:04 PM
The seasons in it's final stretch and your jury still can't make it's mind up?

You don't think it's because the jury is just a figment of your imagination. :agree:
We are the jury. You just have to look at the mixed reaction for and against Rocky in these threads. Not my imagination. Lenny is the judge and he says he is quite happy with him. Happy to go along with that .

Borderhibbie76
04-04-2018, 02:06 PM
That's not what I said.

I said I quite liked Oxley - he certainly should not be the yardstick of crapness that Hibs goalkeepers are measured against. He was a solid keeper, and didn't make many mistakes.

I do like Rocky, but I'm surprised at the level of support he seems to be getting. He's good, a lot better than many we've had in the past, but he's far from perfect, and tbh I'm not totally convinced by him. He didn't do much right last night, and on another night that might have cost us.He made 1 mistake - a bad one granted and a few iffy kicks...apart from that he had nothing to do whatsoever?? Dunno why u r so keen to slaughter our keeper...you should go on you tube and watch some of the saves that won us points this season - off the top of my head Killie away twice, Dundee at home, Dundee away, Hearts away at Xmas to name a few

Borderhibbie76
04-04-2018, 02:08 PM
He was brutal last night and brutal in his last game. Needs replaced.Not as brutal as your opinions ....dearie me

Thecat23
04-04-2018, 02:11 PM

I’ve read some crap on here this takes the biscuit. What a ridiculous comment to make.

Wheat Hound
04-04-2018, 02:15 PM
Our 2-1 win at Hunbrox was largely down yo the saves of Rocky. Much as the 2-2 At Killie, 2-1 at home to Dundee and several others. He's earned us far more points than he's lost us.

Hibbyradge
04-04-2018, 02:15 PM
We are the jury. You just have to look at the mixed reaction for and against Rocky in these threads. Not my imagination. Lenny is the judge and he says he is quite happy with him. Happy to go along with that .

Looking at this forum directly after a game tells you very little. If someone does a good thing, they're a world beater, a mistake and they're a dud.

If we win, Lennon's the best manager ever. If we lose, he's tactically naive and needs to be replaced.

Marciano is an international goalkeeper and, as you say, he's good enough for the manager. Other opinions, whilst allowed, are fundamentally irrelevant.

Allant1981
04-04-2018, 02:17 PM

no

BILLYHIBS
04-04-2018, 02:19 PM
Looking at this forum directly after a game tells you very little. If someone does a good thing, they're world beater, a mistake and they're a dud.

If we win, Lennon's the best manager ever. If we lose, he's tactically naive and needs to be replaced.

Marciano is an international goalkeeper and, as you say, he's good enough for the manager. Other opinions, whilst allowed, are fundamentally irrelevant.
Yip

Hibbyradge
04-04-2018, 02:25 PM
I do understand the circumstances but if a player loses his spot in the first team for another it’s dropped. Silly debate regardless as he’s much better than Laidlaw and is correctly our number 1.

Saying that Marciano was dropped is a negative. It's like he was being punished, but he wasn't. It's not fair to Rocky to say that.

Laidlaw was given a run in the team because he'd done well when he was asked to deputise for our first choice keeper. It was a reward. A positive.

I agree with your final sentence, but if silly debates weren't allowed, hibs.net would shut down. :greengrin

Sauzee16
04-04-2018, 02:37 PM
no

He was in the first team, didn’t play for a game through choice and then didn’t get back into the first team as someone took his place when available for selection again. Round in circles.

Famous Fiver
04-04-2018, 02:44 PM
100% certain that Rocky will be between the sticks on Saturday.

marinello59
04-04-2018, 02:46 PM
100% certain that Rocky will be between the sticks on Saturday.

And do he should be, he is the best keeper at the club.

JDHibs
04-04-2018, 02:53 PM
This thread is embarrassing.

One the best keepers i can remember in my time as a Hibs fan, hes saved us countless times this season and will be worth 10/12 points alone overall.

Folk are claiming Bell should be given a chance after playing 1 1/2 games this season. He got shipped out by Utd in the championship and couldnt get a game for Killie where Jamie MacDonald is their no1!!

If he didnt make any mistakes he certainly wouldnt be at Hibs, thats for sure. Lucky to have him!

Get a grip!

MyJo
04-04-2018, 03:04 PM
And do he should be, he is the best keeper at the club.

He's the best keeper the club has had in the last decade.

How anyone who endured the likes of Malkowski, Mcneil, Brown, Ma-Kalamby & Smith can be so critical of Rocky is astounding.

Even the recent keepers we have had that have been half-decent like Stack, Williams and Oxley were nowhere near as good as Marciano is.

Borderhibbie76
04-04-2018, 03:44 PM
I’ve read some crap on here this takes the biscuit. What a ridiculous comment to make.The jokers on this thread are beyond belief...I'm really hoping they undercover followers of 15pointsback mate

Sauzee16
04-04-2018, 03:53 PM
He's the best keeper the club has had in the last decade.

How anyone who endured the likes of Malkowski, Mcneil, Brown, Ma-Kalamby & Smith can be so critical of Rocky is astounding.

Even the recent keepers we have had that have been half-decent like Stack, Williams and Oxley were nowhere near as good as Marciano is.

Spot on.

Brooster
04-04-2018, 05:15 PM
Not as brutal as your opinions ....dearie me

Do you think he played well last night?

Borderhibbie76
04-04-2018, 05:17 PM
Do you think he played well last night?He made 1 bad error of judgement...it's not worth replacing him as U suggest...all goalies make errors now and again. As many have already said on this thread he's saved us more often than not this season

H18 SFR
04-04-2018, 05:31 PM
This thread is embarrassing.

One the best keepers i can remember in my time as a Hibs fan, hes saved us countless times this season and will be worth 10/12 points alone overall.

Folk are claiming Bell should be given a chance after playing 1 1/2 games this season. He got shipped out by Utd in the championship and couldnt get a game for Killie where Jamie MacDonald is their no1!!

If he didnt make any mistakes he certainly wouldnt be at Hibs, thats for sure. Lucky to have him!

Get a grip!

Completely summarises my thoughts. You'd think he was Walter Zenga.

Brooster
04-04-2018, 05:41 PM
He made 1 bad error of judgement...it's not worth replacing him as U suggest...all goalies make errors now and again. As many have already said on this thread he's saved us more often than not this season

He had 1 simple save to make and he fluffed it. Then his kicking was really poor for 30 mins. In his last game he charged out of the box unnecessarily to handle it. Hardly the traits of a top goalie.

Smartie
04-04-2018, 05:42 PM
Bell came in and did well. He's an established, experienced goalkeeper - not just a kid whose only use is as a back-up.

Rocky has made a couple of big mistakes in his last 2 games - one which cost us points in Perth, and his team-mates got him out of jail for his mistake last night.

It's good to see that we've finally got a keeper who enjoys so much support from the fans - and we shouldn't forget about the quality saves he has made at important times this season.

But we're entering the business end of the season, and every point is going to be vital. Is it unreasonable to debate the goalkeeper's position?

Rocky is a mixed back - capable of occasional lapses in concentration and howling gaffes, questionable kicking on his stronger side for the past couple of months, suspect from crosses at times, yet capable of the kind of save that stands up there with the best of Hibs goalkeepers - match winners, point winners.

The last time Lennon didn't put him straight back in after an absence, he went on to show superb form over the next few months. Hopefully the past couple of games have given Rocky a jolt and he sharpens up. Rocky can do the difficult stuff, he just needs to be a bit better at basics - like kicking a dead ball off the deck on his stronger side, dealing with bread and butter crosses and knowing when to come off his line.

ekhibee
04-04-2018, 05:42 PM
:top marksBest and most accurate comment IMO.