PDA

View Full Version : Hibs 8 Killie 1

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-04-2018, 12:49 PM
35 years ago today. Hibs Kids game IIRC.

gringojoe
02-04-2018, 12:54 PM
Think Jackie Mac scored from a freekick that day

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-04-2018, 01:05 PM
Cannae mind if it was a free kick, fair distance out though.

G B Young
02-04-2018, 01:06 PM
35 years...jeez. I remember being hugely excited by that result. It came at a time when we were going next to nowhere as a club and it was bolt from the blue see the goals flying in like that. Graham Harvey was, I think, starting to make an impression around that time and may have scored one or two that day.

I recall holding on to the cutting of the report from the Scotsman. The headline was 'Something's stirring at Easter Road.' Sadly it wasn't really.

Frazerbob
02-04-2018, 01:12 PM
One of my earliest memories watching Hibs. Turned out to be one of many false dawns.

whiskyhibby
02-04-2018, 01:41 PM
The last game I ever attended with my Dad, sat up in the old main stand top tier, a great display

SirDavidsNapper
02-04-2018, 01:49 PM
One of the few highlights of a decade best forgotten i'd have thought? Baffling how well Aberdeen, Dundee United and to a lesser extent Hearts did in the 80's compared to us.

Why was that? Poor management? No investment? Hangover from the great 70's era?

G B Young
02-04-2018, 02:03 PM
One of the few highlights of a decade best forgotten i'd have thought? Baffling how well Aberdeen, Dundee United and to a lesser extent Hearts did in the 80's compared to us.

Why was that? Poor management? No investment? Hangover from the great 70's era?

The first half of that decade was certainly forgettable. Crowds of under 5k for some games in a huge, crumbling stadium and just a feeling of decline all round. Given that the days of the Tornadoes were still relatively fresh in the minds for many Hibs fans it was probably no surprise that so many stopped attending when faced with the mediocre quality of football on offer. There was a wee revival of sorts under John Blackley when we had Cowan and Durie up front and things did pick up under Alex Miller who built a half decent team in the late 80s, especially when we brought Steve Archibald in (an unthinkable signing a few years earlier when for some reason I remember us being unable to afford a guy called Jamie Doyle from Partick Thistle!).

Bookkeeper
02-04-2018, 02:07 PM
Did we not draw 3-3 with Dundee Utd the week before too? Seem to mind we couldn't buy a goal at the time then got 11 in 2 games - then was back to normal again :rolleyes:

Brooster
02-04-2018, 02:09 PM
I was there. Ive still got the Pink from that night.

Peevemor
02-04-2018, 02:17 PM
Think Jackie Mac scored from a freekick that dayIt wasn't a free kick. Killie's goal came from a rare Jackie Mac error - under no pressure he stood on the ball and slipped /lost his footing, leaving the Killie player a clear run on goal to score (to make it 0-1 IIRC). Later a loose ball fell to McNamara about 30yds out - as soon as you saw his run up to the ball you knew he was going to hit the net, which he did. Sauzée-esque!

CropleyWasGod
02-04-2018, 02:22 PM
It wasn't a free kick. Killie's goal came from a rare Jackie Mac error - under no pressure he stood on the ball and slipped /lost his footing, leaving the Killie player a clear run on goal to score (to make it 0-1 IIRC). Later a loose ball fell to McNamara about 30yds out - as soon as you saw his run up to the ball you knew he was going to hit the net, which he did. Sauzée-esque!My memory is that Jackie's goal came from a free kick. The taker laid it off to him.

My mate left at half time in disgust [emoji16]
He was shell-shocked when the score came up on the teleprinter. As they did with unusual scores, it came up as Hibernian 8 (eight)..... 🤣

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

SirDavidsNapper
02-04-2018, 02:27 PM
The first half of that decade was certainly forgettable. Crowds of under 5k for some games in a huge, crumbling stadium and just a feeling of decline all round. Given that the days of the Tornadoes were still relatively fresh in the minds for many Hibs fans it was probably no surprise that so many stopped attending when faced with the mediocre quality of football on offer. There was a wee revival of sorts under John Blackley when we had Cowan and Durie up front and things did pick up under Alex Miller who built a half decent team in the late 80s, especially when we brought Steve Archibald in (an unthinkable signing a few years earlier when for some reason I remember us being unable to afford a guy called Jamie Doyle from Partick Thistle!).

Good post cheers. Miller was probably seen as a real coup at the time. Did well at St Mirren

allezsauzee
02-04-2018, 02:29 PM
This was before we had a scoreboard and me and my dad got there 15 minutes late. We were already 2-1 up at this point and we weren't exactly tearing them apart in the first half so we assumed it was still 0-0 . I hadn't an inkling that we'd missed goals until a chant of we want 7 went up at the point I assumed it was 4-0!

Peevemor
02-04-2018, 02:31 PM
My memory is that Jackie's goal came from a free kick. The taker laid it off to him.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

That's possible.

Keith_M
02-04-2018, 02:34 PM
I was a regular attender that season, hardly missing a single game home and away, but I actually missed that one.

For some reason we went to the Borders for a family day out and I found out the score from the pink news :-(

Just as a bit of background as to how low Hibs had sunk at that time, the average league attendance for the season was 7,109.

Lago
02-04-2018, 02:41 PM
Stood on the top terracing with my Father in Law & Brother in Law, now both past away, to watch that game.

Cat Stanton
02-04-2018, 02:48 PM
Did we not draw 3-3 with Dundee Utd the week before too? Seem to mind we couldn't buy a goal at the time then got 11 in 2 games - then was back to normal again :rolleyes:

Spot on. I have a Daily Record (sorry) cutting previewing the next game (against Celtc, I think) with all the scorers of the 11 goals holding footballs on trays, with a headline along the lines of "Hibs serving up goals" or something equally desperate. They lost that game (don't think they even scored) and then, as you say, it was back to the dross of the times.

G B Young
02-04-2018, 02:48 PM
Good post cheers. Miller was probably seen as a real coup at the time. Did well at St Mirren

Not sure there was much excitement around his appointment, with many remembering him as a long-serving Rangers player. But he quickly made us into a more solid unit, bringing in guys like Dougie Bell, Tommy McIntyre and Neil Orr, while the signings of Andy Goram and Steve Archibald gave us a bit of glamour back. It would be hard to claim Miller was ever much loved by the fans but he did win us the Skol Cup, built a couple of good sides and earned us some respectable European results. His early to mid 90s side featuring O'Neill, McAllister, Harper, Wright and Jackson showed he wasn't as dour and defensive as some made out but his derby record was dismal, albeit Hearts were a better team for much of Miller's reign.

Diclonius
02-04-2018, 02:58 PM
Not sure there was much excitement around his appointment, with many remembering him as a long-serving Rangers player. But he quickly made us into a more solid unit, bringing in guys like Dougie Bell, Tommy McIntyre and Neil Orr, while the signings of Andy Goram and Steve Archibald gave us a bit of glamour back. It would be hard to claim Miller was ever much loved by the fans but he did win us the Skol Cup, built a couple of good sides and earned us some respectable European results. His early to mid 90s side featuring O'Neill, McAllister, Harper, Wright and Jackson showed he wasn't as dour and defensive as some made out but his derby record was dismal, albeit Hearts were a better team for much of Miller's reign.

I just had a look at our season overviews under Miller and was amazed at how many times we lost to Hearts. There was one particular instance where we lost a game at Tynecastle, then proceeded to go on a nine-match unbeaten run against every other team in the division before our run was ended by - guess who! Hearts, at Easter Road. Summary of all results:

Played: 40
Won: 7
Drew: 15
Lost: 18

That is absolutely pathetic. I can see why despite relative success under Miller that so many fans dislike him - it would be embarrassing to have that sort of derby record for such a consistently long period of time.

Bookkeeper
02-04-2018, 03:07 PM
Spot on. I have a Daily Record (sorry) cutting previewing the next game (against Celtc, I think) with all the scorers of the 11 goals holding footballs on trays, with a headline along the lines of "Hibs serving up goals" or something equally desperate. They lost that game (don't think they even scored) and then, as you say, it was back to the dross of the times.

Aye, wasn't the best of times :rolleyes:

SirDavidsNapper
02-04-2018, 03:14 PM
I just had a look at our season overviews under Miller and was amazed at how many times we lost to Hearts. There was one particular instance where we lost a game at Tynecastle, then proceeded to go on a nine-match unbeaten run against every other team in the division before our run was ended by - guess who! Hearts, at Easter Road. Summary of all results:

That is absolutely pathetic. I can see why despite relative success under Miller that so many fans dislike him - it would be embarrassing to have that sort of derby record for such a consistently long period of time.

I remember my old man literally jumping for joy when Miller was sacked. He was of the opinion that Hibs should play a certain way which he didn't feel Hibs did under Miller. For me, the Jackson, Wright, Crunchie, Weir, McGinley era was my introduction to Hibs and i was mesmerized! Some of the previous and subsequent teams would have blown me away at that age lol.

Is It On....
02-04-2018, 03:28 PM

Only thing I remember about John Blackley as manager was Blackley's Baby Crew. I wasn't a fan of Alex Miller (which probably puts me in a minority) but no amount of time will soften that stance. We did win the League Cup but in my opinion the football during his time wasn't very good. He also said that a game against Hearts was just another game. Technically correct but that sort of attitude can't have helped on field displays.

G B Young
02-04-2018, 03:33 PM

The most telling stat there is actually the 15 draws because there were a good number of games we should have won but Hearts had such a hold on the fixture that even if they'd been outplayed they would manage not to lose. As I mentioned, for the majority of Miller's time Hearts were a stronger side but they also had the upper hand mentally. That was bl**dy hard to accept for those who could remember the exact opposite situation in the 70s. Thankfully we're back to being the better side both physically AND mentally these days :-)

SuperAllyMcleod
02-04-2018, 04:18 PM
I was there, season ticket holder at the time and have been ever since. The only thing I remember about this game was that it was only 2-1 at halftime - it’s amazing how the memory goes [emoji853]

wookie70
02-04-2018, 04:36 PM
Cannae mind if it was a free kick, fair distance out though.

Shoot Jackie was the cry for about a year after but that was the only one he scored from distance as far as I can remember.

Baldy Foghorn
02-04-2018, 04:38 PM
35 years ago today. Hibs Kids game IIRC.

Yip Hibs kids day, sure we were in South of Main Stand from memory

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-04-2018, 04:39 PM
Aye, that sounds about right S.

Hiber-nation
02-04-2018, 04:40 PM
Shoot Jackie was the cry for about a year after but that was the only one he scored from distance as far as I can remember.

Vaguely remember a cracker at home to East Fife when he was slotting in at RB, might be slavering though.

wookie70
02-04-2018, 04:51 PM
Vaguely remember a cracker at home to East Fife when he was slotting in at RB, might be slavering though. You might be right my memory isn't what it was but I rarely missed a game back then thanks to my Uncle.. He was my favourite player when I started watching Hibs. Looked at his stats and he only scored 5 times.

bringbackbenny
02-04-2018, 05:01 PM
Yip Hibs kids day, sure we were in South of Main Stand from memory

Spot on remember it clearly. And away fans in the south enclosure below is?

Baldy Foghorn
02-04-2018, 05:09 PM
Spot on remember it clearly. And away fans in the south enclosure below is?

Not sure about away fans, I was too scared to look over:greengrin

SideBurns
02-04-2018, 05:19 PM
Sure big Gordon Rae smashed in a raker tae, which meant both our centre-halves scored from outside the box (and followed Rae's goal fae distance at Tannadice the week before). As someone else said, we lost to Celtic at ER the following Saturday (3-0, possibly?). Normal service was resumed!

Keith_M
02-04-2018, 05:20 PM
Only thing I remember about John Blackley as manager was Blackley's Baby Crew. I wasn't a fan of Alex Miller (which probably puts me in a minority) but no amount of time will soften that stance. We did win the League Cup but in my opinion the football during his time wasn't very good. He also said that a game against Hearts was just another game. Technically correct but that sort of attitude can't have helped on field displays.

BBC
- - C
- - S

:wink:

hibbydoug
02-04-2018, 05:46 PM
I was at the game, and kept some cuttings too - scans on the web at http://www.mekeke.co.uk/FAB/82_83/Killie.htm
There was indeed a good feeling for a while after Pat took over from Bertie Auld as manager, and let the players go forward.
One day I'll have time to do better scans etc., but they're just about legible.
Cheers,
Doug.

Peevemor
02-04-2018, 06:22 PM
I was also at Tannadice the week before. Rae scored from about 35 yards to put us 1-0 up, Utd then went into a 3-1 lead. Harvey (signed from Ormiston Primrose) got our second and Brian Rice got the well deserved equaliser with a volley from about 15yds.

One Day
02-04-2018, 06:38 PM
I was there too. Cant believe it was 35 years ago. Some really low crowds both home and away that season

StevieC
02-04-2018, 06:43 PM
Another team we were able to sing the terracing favourite to ..

"We scored one, we scored two, we scored seven more than you .. nah,nah, etc."

scm70nyd1973
02-04-2018, 07:59 PM
[QUOTE=Keekaboo;5358921]I was a regular attender that season, hardly missing a single game home and away, but I actually missed that one.

Me too - I was sitting important exams at that time and I suspect that is why I missed it (studying) - probs went to all the other games like you.

I just recall seeing the “8 (Eight)” on the Teleprinter and not believing it.

Also recall getting in to the office on the Monday and the first person I saw was a Killie fan - just said to him that he wasn’t looking too well and asking if it was something he ‘ate’ - didn’t go down too well funnily enough and the language was choice - but he did laugh about it fairly quickly - you had to really.

Things were bad then - that was in the days of having players like Mike ‘Binger’ Conroy and Stuart Turnbull IIRC ? Sorry guys but after the 70s you were not what we were used to!

ValleyHibee
02-04-2018, 08:10 PM
Was at the game as Hibs kid,reading the report by ian wood,"stuart turnbull has settled into a Des Bremner -type role".Naw,he was one of the worst players I've seen play for Hibs.

eastterrace
02-04-2018, 08:40 PM
Was at the game as Hibs kid,reading the report by ian wood,"stuart turnbull has settled into a Des Bremner -type role".Naw,he was one of the worst players I've seen play for Hibs.

I had stopped going back then, and I mind walking along from west end and seeing a hibs fan and asking him the score and when he said 8-1 I had to ask again, couldn’t believe it . He had a big grin on his face tho. I did start going back a few years later tho.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

green with envy
03-04-2018, 07:35 AM
I was in the old enclosure under the main standthat day for which was very unusual for me. Was the old east getting knocked down at that time.

... Also Graham Harvey from memory scored two that day - was it his debut. Hmmm

Peevemor
03-04-2018, 07:43 AM
I was in the old enclosure under the main standthat day for which was very unusual for me. Was the old east getting knocked down at that time.

I was on the East terracing so it was open, and Harvey scored at Tannadice the week before.

Superfurry72
03-04-2018, 09:28 AM

Harvey didn’t score that day - he scored on his debut against Morton earlier that year. I think it may have been Pat McCurdy’s debut though - he definitely came on as a sub and scored.

I was in with the Hibs Kids in the South Stand that day. We had a great view of the six goals we scored going up the slope! Our scorers were Duncan, Thomson (2), Irvine (2), Rae, McNamara and McCurdy.

Waxy
03-04-2018, 09:41 AM
Remember it. Certain it was 2-1 at ht.

Superfurry72
03-04-2018, 09:47 AM
Remember it. Certain it was 2-1 at ht.

It was. Scored six going up the slope in the second half.

Hibs Class
03-04-2018, 11:31 AM
Harvey didn’t score that day - he scored on his debut against Morton earlier that year. I think it may have been Pat McCurdy’s debut though - he definitely came on as a sub and scored.

I was in with the Hibs Kids in the South Stand that day. We had a great view of the six goals we scored going up the slope! Our scorers were Duncan, Thomson (2), Irvine (2), Rae, McNamara and McCurdy.

Presumably Duncan was playing left back by then? My recollection is that after Duncan, Rae and McNamara scored that the only member of the back four without a goal was Allan Sneddon and he spent the rest of the game going forward looking for a chance to score.

Liberal Hibby
03-04-2018, 11:42 AM
Jeez 35 years ago - was there too and I feel old. Amazing second 45 minutes of madness completely out of character with the way Hibs played for the rest of the season.

Springbank
03-04-2018, 12:06 PM
The Eighties were when I started watching Hibs, hardly missing a game the whole decade.

To cut a long story short, 21 May 2016 made up for all the misery of Miller, the pain of Pat, and the bleak Blackley years.

I'll be one of the few that saw us lose cupties at places that aren't even football grounds any more: places like Kilbowie & Meadowbank.

Thankfully Alan Stubbs and Neil Lennon are everything that Alex Miller was not.

They are adventurous, attacking, positive, they get the derby, they get & got the importance of The Cup, ending 1902, the swashbuckling traditions of the Hibs.

Miller never did have that.

AndyM_1875
03-04-2018, 12:17 PM
We were not up to much during the early to mid 80s but worth noting that Kilmarnock were on a horrible downward curve at this time and were relegated at the end of this season to spend 6 seasons in Division 1 before being relegated again to the bottom tier of Scottish Football but recovered to eventually gain promotion on goal difference from third place Stirling Albion in 1989/1990 after beating Cowdenbeath 2-1 on the last day of the season.

Phil MaGlass
03-04-2018, 01:47 PM
Missed this one, i was at tannadice watching Utd v Huns :rolleyes::boo hoo::boo hoo:

Yorkshire HFC
03-04-2018, 06:47 PM
Missed this one, i was at tannadice watching Utd v Huns :rolleyes::boo hoo::boo hoo:

I remember hearing the result when I was staying at Crieff Hydro that weekend - a great place!

Zorro
03-04-2018, 09:14 PM
The Eighties were when I started watching Hibs, hardly missing a game the whole decade.

To cut a long story short, 21 May 2016 made up for all the misery of Miller, the pain of Pat, and the bleak Blackley years.

I'll be one of the few that saw us lose cupties at places that aren't even football grounds any more: places like Kilbowie & Meadowbank.

Thankfully Alan Stubbs and Neil Lennon are everything that Alex Miller was not.

They are adventurous, attacking, positive, they get the derby, they get & got the importance of The Cup, ending 1902, the swashbuckling traditions of the Hibs.

Miller never did have that.

Like you I didn’t miss many games in the 80s (was at most of THAT run against that lot and sadly remember well the cup loss at kilbowie as it was my birthday!) Don’t get to that many games at the moment sadly, but the difference between Hibs of my youth and that day in May is night and day! Still love some of the memories of the era, just not many of the results!

Oh and I was a Hibs Kid at the 8-1 game. Still remember the Pink headline, “Hibs Hit Eight in Killie Rout”!