PDA

View Full Version : Alan Pardew: West Bromwich Albion part company with manager

theonlywayisup
02-04-2018, 10:39 AM
Not a surprise!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43183688

West Brom are very poor - may struggle to recover next season.

Billy Whizz
02-04-2018, 10:41 AM
Not a surprise!!

Hope he’s not got another pay off

bingo70
02-04-2018, 10:47 AM
Derek Mcinnes likely to be one of the favourites I’d have thought.

Also can’t help but feel it’s inevitable Lennon will start to attract interest again from down south, especially if we can get 2nd place.

Thankfully it seems to be fashionable just now for clubs to go for managers based on the continent which is fine with me.

JDHibs
02-04-2018, 10:48 AM
He is a complete failure as a manager and still gets a shout everytime a vacancy comes up!

No idea how him and a few others manage it!

Ryan69
02-04-2018, 10:56 AM
Should of happened 2 months ago...when it was clear there was no improvement.

Now they are doomed.

IGRIGI
02-04-2018, 11:01 AM
He is a complete failure as a manager and still gets a shout everytime a vacancy comes up!

There seems to be a group of managers that come out for every relegation battle and somehow no matter how many teams they relegate they get paid big bucks for the 6 or so months it takes for them to relegate another one.

Not bad money for those that can get it.

SJNB Hibby
02-04-2018, 11:14 AM
There seems to be a group of managers that come out for every relegation battle and somehow no matter how many teams they relegate they get paid big bucks for the 6 or so months it takes for them to relegate another one.

Not bad money for those that can get it.

The Clubs seem to fail to realise that no matter how much money they spend(the smaller ones) or how many managerial changes they make, three clubs are always getting relegated. I know there are some outliers---Sean Dyche is doing well, and that guy at Bournemouth, but you can only keep it up so long. Theyre heroes when they get a nice top 10 finish in their first couple of years up, but eventgually they fall back to the pack.

I'm a Palace fan, and what have we got to show for 5 years? One Cup Final defeat??
I'd honestly prefer a drop into the Championship where you could at least go into every match thinking youve got a realistic chance of winning any and every game---and probably a BETTER chance in the Cups, what with the big guns fielding their reserves in the early rounds

bingo70
02-04-2018, 11:34 AM
The Clubs seem to fail to realise that no matter how much money they spend(the smaller ones) or how many managerial changes they make, three clubs are always getting relegated. I know there are some outliers---Sean Dyche is doing well, and that guy at Bournemouth, but you can only keep it up so long. Theyre heroes when they get a nice top 10 finish in their first couple of years up, but eventgually they fall back to the pack.

I'm a Palace fan, and what have we got to show for 5 years? One Cup Final defeat??
I'd honestly prefer a drop into the Championship where you could at least go into every match thinking youve got a realistic chance of winning any and every game---and probably a BETTER chance in the Cups, what with the big guns fielding their reserves in the early rounds

Interesting post, cheers.

I personally think the game has gone down south in the premiership.

Imo they’d almost be as well replacing it with a series of exhibition matches for the bigger clubs that tourists can all easily get tickets for. Leave the actual competition for clubs that have still managed to retain their soul and identity.

Col2
02-04-2018, 11:36 AM
I don’t like the guy. Very arrogant but his record as a manager at Newcastle (fiiished 5th I think) and first season at Palace was more Jan decent.

Michael
02-04-2018, 11:36 AM

Hes done well in practically every other job to be fair.

SJNB Hibby
02-04-2018, 11:37 AM

Imo they’d almost be as well replacing it with a series of exhibition matches for the bigger clubs that tourists can all easily get tickets for. Leave the actual competition for clubs that have still managed to retain their soul and identity.

Perversely I think there's been a bit of improvement, purely at the top, where theyve gone from a big 4 qualifying for and winning everything, to 6-7 challengers. Nice to see some of the big boys miss out on Europe from time to time

overdrive
02-04-2018, 11:42 AM

Yep. I think people's dislike of him as a person (which I also don't really get) seem to cloud their judgement of him as a manager.

Allardyce is another one (though I get why people dislike him as a person). I get that he's corrupt and his default style of football is direct but he generally gets decent results and is far from the dinosaur a lot of folk make him out to be. He was one of the pioneers of modern thinking in the game around sports science and data/stats.

jgl07
02-04-2018, 11:45 AM

Also can’t help but feel it’s inevitable Lennon will start to attract interest again from down south, especially if we can get 2nd place.

Aye because Lennon did so well with a struggling Championship team in the past!

West Brom need someone who knows the EFL Championship well as they will need a complete clear out and get rid of their higher earners. It is a very tough division as Villa are finding out. To play two matches virtually every week against brutal teams with plenty of technical skill is a problem.

bingo70
02-04-2018, 11:55 AM
Aye because Lennon did so well with a struggling Championship team in the past!

West Brom need someone who knows the EFL Championship well as they will need a complete clear out and get rid of their higher earners. It is a very tough division as Villa are finding out. To play two matches virtually every week against brutal teams with plenty of technical skill is a problem.

I don’t think West Brom will be a struggling championship side next season, they’ll be one of the favourites to go up and will have money to spend id have thought? A very different proposition to the Bolton job at the time he went there.

Anyway, don’t really want to get too hung up on the likelihood of him going there as I’m sure he won’t, a more realistic concern probably is once managers leave that triggers a managerial merry go round and other clubs probably further down the championship may start to take an interest.

As for what West Brom need or don’t need, Ive no idea but I disagree with the suggestion that to get promoted from that league you have to know that league.

CockneyRebel
02-04-2018, 12:12 PM

Palace fan too but want to stay up. We have taken plenty of points off of the big guns over the 5 seasons and really would like to see how we would do with a decent pre season window. We have been unlucky that so many big signings have either had bad injuries or simply underperformed. If we stay up and Roy stays and is allowed to oversee transfers I feel he would bring the stability we need. We need to stay up to fund the long overdue ground improvements and to attract the necessary players.
Pardew had a good start at Newcastle then fell away and pretty much the same happened at Palace. He played to our strengths to finish mid table then the following season tried to turn us into Barcelona without bringing in Barca type players. Getting Palace to the cup final kept him in the job longer than he deserved.

SirDavidsNapper
02-04-2018, 12:58 PM

Agree. It's so removed from reality i don't give it a second glance anymore. First season i've not watched MOTD or any live games on Sky etc. Cant connect with it at all.

Tourist Arsenal "fans" filming the opposition players celebrating a goal with big smiles on their faces was the final straw for me.

bingo70
02-04-2018, 01:06 PM
Agree. It's so removed from reality i don't give it a second glance anymore. First season i've not watched MOTD or any live games on Sky etc. Cant connect with it at all.

I’ll watch it now and then but similar to the champions league the thought of the big franchises playing against each other doesn’t excite me much any more.

I should have been desperate to watch the spurs Chelsea game yesterday but didn’t bother me in the slightest I was missing it.

To be a hypocrite for a second though I’d quite like my son to get into it when he’s a bit older as I quite fancy being one of those annoying tourists down there just going down for the occasion, to see the big stadiums and enjoy the day out, for me though that’s just what the premiership has become. I realise I’m generalising and there’s still loads of fans that care passionately about their club, I just think it’s got pretty silly over the last few years.

I think I prefer watching the Engish championship but I honestly feel despite the silly money and over hype of the teams it’s not much better standard than our premier league, I’d much rather watch Scottish football.

TelaStella
02-04-2018, 01:07 PM
Surely Rangers will be chasing him now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J-C
02-04-2018, 01:09 PM
Jeez, that didn't last long, it was a very strange appointment in the first place, he's a regular relegation manager.

Jim44
02-04-2018, 01:54 PM
He is the EPL’s very own peripatetic manager. God knows what hold he has on them.

NORTHERNHIBBY
02-04-2018, 01:56 PM
Was a nonsense appointment to start with.

jacomo
02-04-2018, 02:19 PM

People talk about this old boys club but Pardew isn’t Allardyce or even Hodgson. He’s certainly no Pulis, who has never been relegated.

I think the game may now be up for Pardew. This WBA appointment must be one of the least successful ever.

Lago
02-04-2018, 02:47 PM

Thankfully it seems to be fashionable just now for clubs to go for managers based on the continent which is fine with me.
I agree, but not being quoted at the moment.

Is It On....
02-04-2018, 04:03 PM
Not a surprise!!

Old chief executive has just been re-appointed. Was highly critical of how they had been run since the takeover with wages and loan fees going through the roof with football results getting worse. Said they are running in deficit fir the first time in 10 years. Rebuilding job is clearly starting..

Carheenlea
02-04-2018, 04:42 PM
He’s up there with Craig “I’d give that 10 minutes if I were you” Levein when it comes to glittering CV’s.

http://i68.tinypic.com/21e83th.jpg

Is It On....
02-04-2018, 05:45 PM
I agree, but not being quoted at the moment.

Thankfully Steve Clarke is getting all the focus in Scotland at the moment..

snooky
02-04-2018, 05:53 PM

:agree:

worcesterhibby
02-04-2018, 06:03 PM
Horrible bloke who always seems to leave bad feeling behind when he leaves a club. Had some good spells at Newcastle and palace, but always seems to follow them up with record losing streaks. He holds the record for losing streaks at West Ham, Newcastle and West Brom. Has headbutted an opposition player while managing, he was forced to apologise to Manuel Pelligrini for the worst sort of verbal abuse and has also assaulted a linesman. From what I am told the everyday staff ( tea lady, office staff etc) at clubs he manages generally can’t stand him and are very happy when he leaves.

no doubt gets a huge pay off again for failing dismally

Is It On....
02-04-2018, 09:19 PM
Surely Rangers will be chasing him now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that his record suggests he is below average but then you only need to finish 4 bottom. "Pards" has been an unmitigated disaster at West Brom but it will be interesting to see if he gets another chance. Please let it be Sevco 😎

Is It On....
02-04-2018, 09:20 PM
Horrible bloke who always seems to leave bad feeling behind when he leaves a club. Had some good spells at Newcastle and palace, but always seems to follow them up with record losing streaks. He holds the record for losing streaks at West Ham, Newcastle and West Brom. Has headbutted an opposition player while managing, he was forced to apologise to Manuel Pelligrini for the worst sort of verbal abuse and has also assaulted a linesman. From what I am told the everyday staff ( tea lady, office staff etc) at clubs he manages generally can’t stand him and are very happy when he leaves.

no doubt gets a huge pay off again for failing dismally

Perfect CV for Sevco then 😂😂

Souter96Mac
02-04-2018, 11:13 PM
Derek McInnes to go to West Brom