PDA

View Full Version : Jamie Mac

Scooter
01-04-2018, 10:01 AM
Great timing and movement for the 1st goal

neil7908
01-04-2018, 10:04 AM
Great timing and movement for the 1st goal

Now he's getting some game time we looks really sharp. Definitely a poacher rather but something we've been missing for a while.

Hope we can keep him (and Kamberi) next season.

BILLYHIBS
01-04-2018, 10:07 AM
Even better when you have him as first goal scorer .
Get in 😄👍🏾⚽️🇳🇬

judas
01-04-2018, 10:07 AM
Hibs seem to have improved since Stokes left and mclaren and kamberi have been productive.

So why am I not yet convinced about them?!

Booked4Being-Ugly
01-04-2018, 10:09 AM
He was pretty anonymous all game but the service to our strikers was poor.

He can play a bit though and instinctively knows where the goals are and done well to get in front of the defender yesterday.

Good signing and a good foil for Kamberi.

Mr White
01-04-2018, 10:14 AM
Hibs seem to have improved since Stokes left and mclaren and kamberi have been productive.

Not sure why as we're unbeaten in 7 and one of those 2 has scored in all but one of those matches.

For mid-season signings, so far so good IMO but time will tell and the end of the season will be a better time to judge them I suppose.

Sir David Gray
01-04-2018, 10:21 AM

I genuinely have no idea.

They have 6 goals between them in just 15 games which is a good return in anyone's language. I'm not quite sure what you were expecting.

MWHIBBIES
01-04-2018, 10:23 AM
Now he's getting some game time we looks really sharp. Definitely a poacher rather but something we've been missing for a while.

Hope we can keep him (and Kamberi) next season.

We haven't been missing a poacher for a while, Cummings was exactly that

Sammy7nil
01-04-2018, 10:28 AM
I genuinely have no idea.

They have 6 goals between them in just 15 games which is a good return in anyone's language. I'm not quite sure what you were expecting.

I have an idea why, they looked very average yesterday and just before the goal lots of people around me were getting restless and calling for Oli. They have been doing fine and results have been great but I too still need a bit of convincing they would be a longterm partnership.

Renfrew_Hibby
01-04-2018, 10:29 AM
He's a fox in the box striker, they can be anonymous for 89 minutes but then a smart bit of movement and they get you the winner.
They need a strong grafter beside him and Kamberi is a good foil with a bit of added skill to boot. Really like the look of him. If he was to go back to grasshoppers in the summer then Curtis Main would be one of my key targets as he's probably the leagues hardest working forwards and is as strong as an ox.

bingo70
01-04-2018, 10:33 AM
He's a fox in the box striker, they can be anonymous for 89 minutes but then a smart bit of movement and they get you the winner.
They need a strong grafter beside him and lambert is a good foil with a bit of added skill to boot. Really like the look of him. If he was to go back to grasshoppers in the summer then Curtis Main would be one of my key targets as he's probably the leagues hardest working forwards and is as strong as an ox.

Main looks an excellent player, I think he’s just on loan at Motherwell isn’t he?

Would be delighted if we were to go for him.

I’m not totally convinced by Kamberi, outstanding work rate and can’t fault his effort however something about him just doesn’t do it for me. Think he could maybe do with a goal or two soon.

erin go bragh
01-04-2018, 10:36 AM
Loved his celebration with the fans in the FF .

Centre Hawf
01-04-2018, 10:44 AM
If I have to be honest I'm smitten with the two of them. Kamberi is a right pain in the arse and I'd hate to play against him, as people have said he's great foil for McLaren who is more of a poacher and reminds me a lot of Cummings in that he knows where he needs to be and when to get there.

Time will still tell if they are a great partnership but as it stands I'm delighted we made the decision to punt Stokes and loan out Murray and bring these two lads in with Shaw as the back up option.

Broken Gnome
01-04-2018, 10:47 AM
I’m not totally convinced by Kamberi, outstanding work rate and can’t fault his effort however something about him just doesn’t do it for me. Think he could maybe do with a goal or two soon.

He’s a funny one, I think one thing about him in one instance then completely the opposite a minute later.

Something about him at the very least, he’s probably more of a footballer than I thought he’d be but cam occasionally seem of the headless chicken variety. Then again, holds the ball up well, has a fair bit of football about him and works his **** off.

Permanently offside mind you.

bingo70
01-04-2018, 10:56 AM
He’s a funny one, I think one thing about him in one instance then completely the opposite a minute later.

Something about him at the very least, he’s probably more of a footballer than I thought he’d be but cam occasionally seem of the headless chicken variety. Then again, holds the ball up well, has a fair bit of football about him and works his **** off.

Permanently offside mind you.

Yeah he’s got plenty positive attributes and he’s still young so don’t want to sound like I’m being too harsh on him however his understanding of the off side rule isnt one of the better sides of his game.

Sir David Gray
01-04-2018, 11:00 AM
I have an idea why, they looked very average yesterday and just before the goal lots of people around me were getting restless and calling for Oli. They have been doing fine and results have been great but I too still need a bit of convincing they would be a longterm partnership.

I think Kamberi's been brilliant since he's come in. Maclaren has taken a bit longer to settle down but I think he's started to show his strengths in the past few weeks, he did well against Hearts, scored a good goal and was then an unfortunate victim of Marciano's moment of madness against St Johnstone, having to go off after 15 minutes for Cammy Bell and then scored again yesterday.

I'm not suggesting the pair of them are the next Andy Cole and Dwight Yorke partnership but I don't think there's any doubt that we have improved a lot up front since they've come in.

bingo70
01-04-2018, 11:02 AM
I think Kamberi's been brilliant since he's come in. Maclaren has taken a bit longer to settle down but I think he's started to show his strengths in the past few weeks, he did well against Hearts, scored a good goal and was then an unfortunate victim of Marciano's moment of madness against St Johnstone, having to go off after 15 minutes for Cammy Bell and then scored again yesterday.

I'm not suggesting the pair of them are the next Andy Cole and Dwight Yorke partnership but I don't think there's any doubt that we have improved a lot up front since they've come in.

Although I’ve highlighted a few doubts about Kamberi I completely agree with your last paragraph. We look a lot better up front now than we did before we signed them.

Shrekko
01-04-2018, 11:30 AM
Both have been very good- I’m also not sure exactly what folk expect from guys like this?

Kamberi has a bit of quality and as good a hold up striker as I’ve seen at Hibs for a good few years. McLaren took longer to settle but has shown himself to be a clever poacher.

We’re much better up front than earlier in the season.

we are hibs
01-04-2018, 11:31 AM
I like both but Kamberi seems to be caught offside a lot and MacLaren was quite poor up until his goal. They both showed glimpses of a good partnership though. Think Kamberi would prefer the ball to feet to hold it up rather than it shelled at him like it was first half yesterday. MacLaren isn't as strong but has the pace to get in behind. Allan and MacLaren if they hit it off could be some sight as Allan could find a Hearts fan in the Roseburn on Derby Day with some of his through balls

Sammy7nil
01-04-2018, 11:36 AM
Both have been very good- I’m also not sure exactly what folk expect from guys like this?

Kamberi has a bit of quality and as good a hold up striker as I’ve seen at Hibs for a good few years. McLaren took longer to settle but has shown himself to be a clever poacher.

We’re much better up front than earlier in the season.

I think you are getting a wee bit carried away, the only other recent hold strikers I can think of are Holt and Gary O is he better than both ? He has done fine but for example was very average yesterday. He is young and hopefully he will continue to improve let's not burden him with big expectations.

Albanian Hibs
01-04-2018, 11:51 AM
Guy sitting beside me in the east thinks they are both crap 🙄

70KevinHFC62
01-04-2018, 12:12 PM

There was a few people in the east yesterday with comments. Some people are just never happy. Heard one boy behind me at hanlons goal "ball wasn't whipped in though"

greenlex
01-04-2018, 12:27 PM
Like them both but wish Kamberi had more pace.

RyeSloan
01-04-2018, 12:30 PM
Like them both but wish Kamberi had more pace.

Eh? Did you not see him catch the Patrick player twice in the second half when sprinting back to cover?

I think he does have good pace but obviously being a big lad might not be quite as quick over very short distances but in a foot race over a reasonable distance I reckon he’s more than fast enough.

Thecat23
01-04-2018, 12:33 PM

Tell the guy you sit next too, he’s a clown from me and he is clueless 😁👍🏼

WeeRussell
01-04-2018, 12:41 PM
I think you are getting a wee bit carried away, the only other recent hold strikers I can think of are Holt and Gary O is he better than both ? He has done fine but for example was very average yesterday. He is young and hopefully he will continue to improve let's not burden him with big expectations.

Than Holt? 100%

Sammy7nil
01-04-2018, 12:44 PM
Than Holt? 100%

I won't argue but is that based on 7-8 games :confused: Simon Murray was ahead of Griffith's after about 8 games :greengrin

Billy Whizz
01-04-2018, 12:44 PM
McLaren went off clutching his hamstring when he went off, or was it cramp?

MWHIBBIES
01-04-2018, 01:08 PM
Few wins and folk on here get ideas well above our station. Both good players, both good enough for Hibs, both scoring and helping the team win.

WeeRussell
01-04-2018, 01:13 PM
I won't argue but is that based on 7-8 games :confused: Simon Murray was ahead of Griffith's after about 8 games :greengrin

Nope. Based purely on me believing Holt wasn’t a good player for us, regardless of what the majority would say on here. Only a handful of games but Kamberi has shown as much movement and an equal hold-up game for me already. Without even taking into account any scoring records.

Just my opinion, and against the grain as I say.

Johnny_Leith
01-04-2018, 01:23 PM
Nope. Based purely on me believing Holt wasn’t a good player for us, regardless of what the majority would say on here. Only a handful of games but Kamberi has shown as much movement and an equal hold-up game for me already. Without even taking into account any scoring records.

Just my opinion, and against the grain as I say.

Out of interest, why wasnt Holt a good player for Hibs?

Wilson
01-04-2018, 01:23 PM
Few wins and folk on here get ideas well above our station. Both good players, both good enough for Hibs, both scoring and helping the team win.

I think it is the other way around. A couple of wins and folk start lauding very average players as much better than they are.

They are doing a job and are working hard - which is more than we were getting from Stokes.

That is all though.

Mr White
01-04-2018, 01:32 PM
I think it is the other way around. A couple of wins and folk start lauding very average players as much better than they are.

They are doing a job and are working hard - which is more than we were getting from Stokes.

That is all though.

I think that's unfair tbh. They've both come in mid-season on the back of little or no recent first team action and both have hit the ground running and scored vital goals. That's quite a difficult thing to do and they both deserve credit for it IMO.

bingo70
01-04-2018, 01:42 PM
I think that's unfair tbh. They've both come in mid-season on the back of little or no recent first team action and both have hit the ground running and scored vital goals. That's quite a difficult thing to do and they both deserve credit for it IMO.

I think they are getting credit tbf and I don’t think anybody is being overly critical. Imo there’s no harm in taking a step back and discussing all their attributes, good and bad,

Ronniekirk
01-04-2018, 01:43 PM

First half they weren't looking that dangerous and didn't read each other's runs But as s team we were flat and Scotty couldn't find the killer pass so you couldn't judge them on that half
Whole team much better second half

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wookie70
01-04-2018, 01:46 PM

I think we are scoring more goals by virtue of having strikers that get into the box, who'd have thought it. I love Kamberi's workrate and he has some quality but I think if we could only keep one player I would like to keep McLaren. Looks like he has lots of goals in him and gets in some great positions. More than happy if we could keep both but we still need to get at least another striker possibly two if Murray doesn't come back.

J-C
01-04-2018, 01:50 PM
I like them both, great work ethic and now starting to chip in with goals, good piece of business in January, I had heard we have an option on Kamberi in the summer, lets hope so.

Mr White
01-04-2018, 01:59 PM
I think they are getting credit tbf and I don’t think anybody is being overly critical. Imo there’s no harm in taking a step back and discussing all their attributes, good and bad,

That's true but it was the "A couple of wins and folk start lauding very average players" comment that I felt was unfair.

WeeRussell
01-04-2018, 02:05 PM
Out of interest, why wasnt Holt a good player for Hibs?

Maybe “not a good player” wasn’t term I intended but I thought he was vastly over rated and defended by many fans, especially compared to the stick other players get.

I saw him as immobile, didn’t win nearly enough in the air (more interested in falling over and wanting fouls) all the while rarely scoring goals.

Decent guy and enjoyed his derby goal, but that derby game and his semi final performance were two of the rare games I thought he was better than average. (Albeit I didn’t see every single game he played).

Not looking for arguments or a reaction but my opinion on Holt won’t change.

Ozyhibby
01-04-2018, 02:11 PM
Maybe “not a good player” wasn’t term I intended but I thought he was vastly over rated and defended by many fans, especially compared to the stick other players get.

I saw him as immobile, didn’t win nearly enough in the air (more interested in falling over and wanting fouls) all the while rarely scoring goals.

Decent guy and enjoyed his derby goal, but that derby game and his semi final performance were two of the rare games I thought he was better than average. (Albeit I didn’t see every single game he played).

Perfect assessment of Holt.

Not sure of the stats but as a team we appear to be scoring more goals per game since the jan window, which has been Lennon’s most successful.

wookie70
01-04-2018, 02:57 PM

The only bit you missed was he rarely made his way into the box and his hold up play was nowhere near as good as some made out. Kamberi has had far more impact on the league above than Holt ever did in the Championship

WeeRussell
01-04-2018, 03:01 PM
The only bit you missed was he rarely made his way into the box and his hold up play was nowhere near as good as some made out. Kamberi has had far more impact on the league above than Holt ever did in the Championship

I was sure I had mentioned hold-up play, but it was in an earlier post. Glad I’m not the only one - I assumed the first reply to me would be from the other side of the argument haha.

JimBHibees
01-04-2018, 03:20 PM
Got to be said Mclarens movement around the box is excellent. Find Flo a bit frustrating at times in terms of holding the ball up but he has done well.

Borderhibbie76
01-04-2018, 06:20 PM
I think we are scoring more goals by virtue of having strikers that get into the box, who'd have thought it. I love Kamberi's workrate and he has some quality but I think if we could only keep one player I would like to keep McLaren. Looks like he has lots of goals in him and gets in some great positions. More than happy if we could keep both but we still need to get at least another striker possibly two if Murray doesn't come back.Having watched Murray today I severely doubt he will be back...we need better imo and we have that in Flo and Jamie....we should be looking for either keeping them or looking for better again in summer

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

greenlex
01-04-2018, 06:27 PM
Eh? Did you not see him catch the Patrick player twice in the second half when sprinting back to cover?

I think he does have good pace but obviously being a big lad might not be quite as quick over very short distances but in a foot race over a reasonable distance I reckon he’s more than fast enough.
The Patrick boy must have been walking.

Smartie
01-04-2018, 07:04 PM
I really like the pair of them.

We didn't exactly carve out loads of chances for the yesterday, but they both put in a power of work.

McLaren got the vital first goal, Kamberi's man was sent off for repeatedly fouling him.

I think our current team and squad are superb, and I think we could challenge for the title if we could keep them together.

Sadly, I think we're facing losing a large number of them in the summer and rebuilding.

McLaren is way more than a poacher. He runs his socks off, hassles defenders and makes clever runs.

Tbh he misses to many chances to be considered a poacher.

WeeRussell
01-04-2018, 07:53 PM

We didn't exactly carve out loads of chances for the yesterday, but they both put in a power of work.

McLaren got the vital first goal, Kamberi's man was sent off for repeatedly fouling him.

I think our current team and squad are superb, and I think we could challenge for the title if we could keep them together.

Sadly, I think we're facing losing a large number of them in the summer and rebuilding.

McLaren is way more than a poacher. He runs his socks off, hassles defenders and makes clever runs.

He could just be not that good at poaching if he’s missing so many chances?

I think he’s good by the way.. just don’t think your last sentence makes sense.

Ozyhibby
01-04-2018, 07:54 PM

Salah misses loads of chances but he’s not a bad poacher?

Seveno
01-04-2018, 08:22 PM
How many starts has Maclaren had? My guess is 6 with three goals being a good rate.

Mr White
01-04-2018, 08:25 PM
How many starts has Maclaren had? My guess is 6 with three goals being a good rate.

I think its 5 but he also came on early in the first half at Ibrox. However he was then subbed off after 20 minutes at Perth to make way for Cammy Bell though.

Smartie
01-04-2018, 08:50 PM
To clarify - I consider a poacher to be a forward who is pretty deadly at taking chances but doesn't necessarily offer much else - see Jason Cummings, Kris Boyd, Ally McCoist, Gary Lineker.

I don't think McLaren is that deadly a finisher but he brings a lot of other stuff to our play.

I don't know why, but when we signed him I thought he was meant to be finisher but not much more.

I like him.

ekhibee
01-04-2018, 08:58 PM
They need a strong grafter beside him and Kamberi is a good foil with a bit of added skill to boot. Really like the look of him. If he was to go back to grasshoppers in the summer then Curtis Main would be one of my key targets as he's probably the leagues hardest working forwards and is as strong as an ox.
Totally agree re. Main, he's just the kind of striker most teams would want, strong, physical presence, works hard for the team, skillful and scores goals. Hibs should definitely go for him IMO, but I'm not sure if he's a loan deal or not with Motherwell.

WhileTheChief..
01-04-2018, 09:02 PM
If they weren’t scoring goals everyone would be saying ah, but they came in in Jan without any game time, they just need time to gel etc.

I think they’ve both hit the ground running and we’re a far more exciting team to watch since we started playing with the two of them up front.

I’d be delighted if that’s our front two going into next season with Shaw as backup.

Mr White
01-04-2018, 09:14 PM
If they weren’t scoring goals everyone would be saying ah, but they came in in Jan without any game time, they just need time to gel etc.

I think they’ve both hit the ground running and we’re a far more exciting team to watch since we started playing with the two of them up front.

I’d be delighted if that’s our front two going into next season with Shaw as backup.

:agree:

The addition of those 2 and Scott Allan in a January window looks like very effective business so far and has had a very positive effect.

gordonced18
01-04-2018, 09:53 PM
Both have done well.... McLarens goal yesterday was exactly what we were missing before the window, they also give us the opportunity to develop Oli over a better period of time. This is a notoriously difficult time of the season when the bottom six dross fight for everything, yesterday was a massive 3pts for us [emoji119][emoji119]

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X50F using Tapatalk

1van Sprou7e
01-04-2018, 10:01 PM
Salah misses loads of chances but he’s not a bad poacher?

Salah is a fantastic goalscorer but a poacher he ain't

The_Horde
01-04-2018, 10:15 PM
Both have done well.... McLarens goal yesterday was exactly what we were missing before the window, they also give us the opportunity to develop Oli over a better period of time. This is a notoriously difficult time of the season when the bottom six dross fight for everything, yesterday was a massive 3pts for us [emoji119][emoji119]

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X50F using Tapatalk

Perfectly put. The amount of those kind of crosses from Martin Boyle that sailed right through the box without a striker getting a touch in the first half of the season was criminal. Stokes was busy hanging about on the edge of the box as some kind of rubbish Scott Allan and Simon Murray was constantly content on marking himself out of the game as usual.

Johnny_Leith
01-04-2018, 11:37 PM

Got to agree that "not a good player for Hibs" isn't an accurate description. Holt contributed towards a championship winning team in a vital period for the club. I think as, what I would consider a stop gap signing, we got what was expected. His best days had passed and I think his biggest attributes were towards team spirit and providing a foil for Cummings. I'd expected more goals and he did have some bad games, but overall I just wanted to express I thought not a good player was pretty harsh.

Also loved his goal against Hearts, so did it seems. Loves a mention of it on Twitter 😎

RIP
02-04-2018, 11:30 AM
The best thing about Jamie is his size and pace. As Leigh proved, scoring goals from close in is down to quick acceleration into a space. Watch Jamie’s movement for that first goal.

As for Flo, his motion and ball control on the edge of the box is excellent

G B Young
02-04-2018, 12:57 PM
Whether or not we keep one, both or neither of these guys beyond the summer I don't think we could have asked for any more from them. IMHO they have been excellent and whatever one thinks of their talent levels, their greatest attribute has been their sheer willingness to get stuck in. They clearly want to do as well as possible for themselves and for the team - in stark contrast to Stokes, who probably has more talent than the pair of them put together but let the club down big time with his attitude this season. They've lifted morale at a key time in the season and you have to credit the club for managing to bring in two such effective contributors in the January window. The key signing, though, was Scott Allan, whose eye for a pass can help to bring out the best in any striker.

As for Holt, he may not have been a player to bring us to the edge of our seats, but I thought he was a really solid signing, whose experience and professionalism were just what was needed to ease us through as vital title-winning season.

southsider
02-04-2018, 05:22 PM
Loved his celebration with the fans in the FF .

Saw Jamie last nite. Was in the same restaurant as us in Newington. Drinking water with his meal. Had company so didn't bother him.

eastcoasthibby
02-04-2018, 05:40 PM
McLaren got his goal on Saturday as he is the only one that can keep up with Boyle pace wise ... I like his attitude and think both him and Kamberi can do a job for us next season ....thinking is a pre-season behind them and half season knowledge understanding of the league

Billy Whizz
02-04-2018, 05:41 PM
McLaren got his goal on Saturday as he is the only one that can keep up with Boyle pace wise ... I like his attitude and think both him and Kamberi can do a job for us next season ....thinking is a pre-season behind them and half season knowledge understanding of the league

As soon as Boyle crosses, gets to the front post in front of the Partick defender. All young players should watch his movement

Billy Whizz
02-04-2018, 05:51 PM
Older plates too. Even ones which are cracked. :agree:

Ha ha, go on change it, I’ve changed mine

Hibbyradge
02-04-2018, 06:54 PM
Ha ha, go on change it, I’ve changed mine

:hilarious

Since it's you ...

truehibernian
02-04-2018, 07:14 PM
As soon as Boyle crosses, gets to the front post in front of the Partick defender. All young players should watch his movement

:agree: His movement was excellent and there have been a few times in games he has made similar moves to get in front or away from his man in the 6 yard box and either the cross has been cut out (Boyle v Hearts at home recently) or it's just fallen behind him (v The Rangers in our recent win).

More importantly he plays on the turn, facing the opposition goal and his first thought is to get into that box - very much like a Scott McDonald or a Gary Hooper to liken him to recent strikers in the SPL. Having wingers like Boyle and Barker, and midfielders like Allan and Dylan really suit his style too. Has to be said that Kamberi compliments him really well too - the big lad has good feet and technical ability and unlike Stokes doesn't fall deep to get the ball or hug the touchline. He plays as a striker and occupies defenders as all good strikers do.

Mr White
03-04-2018, 08:17 AM
I hope he scores again tonight and continues to build his confidence. I think he'll be a very important player post split.

Hibbyradge
03-04-2018, 10:12 AM
I hope he scores again tonight and continues to build his confidence. I think he'll be a very important player post split.

Isn't he injured?

Mr White
03-04-2018, 12:46 PM
Isn't he injured?

I know he went off on Saturday holding his thigh but I hadn't heard that he's out tonight.

If he is then I hope Shaw comes in and gets a goal. It'd be good for his confidence as he could be an important player for us after the split :greengrin