PDA

View Full Version : Hands up

Northernhibee
31-03-2018, 05:50 PM
I admit it - Lennon has won me over. Even though we were poor today we had options on the bench to change the game and we found a way to win the game.

I wish he'd keep the heid a bit more when it comes to situations like Killie but we need to enjoy this whilst it lasts. 4pts off second at this point of the season is very good and I have no doubt we'd be there if we hadn't signed Stokes in the summer.

Kamberi, MacLaren and Allan was very good business and has transformed our season.

Lee Marvin
31-03-2018, 06:05 PM
I admit it - Lennon has won me over. Even though we were poor today we had options on the bench to change the game and we found a way to win the game.

I wish he'd keep the heid a bit more when it comes to situations like Killie but we need to enjoy this whilst it lasts. 4pts off second at this point of the season is very good and I have no doubt we'd be there if we hadn't signed Stokes in the summer.

Kamberi, MacLaren and Allan was very good business and has transformed our season.

He won me over about 18 months ago

hibby6270
31-03-2018, 06:12 PM
I’ve said it in another thread. His substitution of Marv with Whittaker today was inspired.
A proper game changer as it turned out.

BSEJVT
31-03-2018, 07:11 PM
I’ve said it in another thread. His substitution of Marv with Whittaker today was inspired.
A proper game changer as it turned out.

Like many I have warmed to Lennon and think he has done a great job, but I don't think his substitution of Bartley by Whittaker can be described as inspired, bloody obvious I would have thought was a better description.

But there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that it changed the game.

What will determine our progress isn't how we fair in the big games as we always seem up for them, it is how we maximise the return from the "easier" games.

Some very good Hibs teams have been found wanting in that regard in my 50 years of watching Hibs.

Even this season we have dropped far more points in such games, particularly at home than we should have, but today was a great result from a poor performance and I will be more than happy with a similar set of outcomes on Tuesday although a better performance would be appreciated :-)

Billy Whizz
31-03-2018, 07:31 PM
Like many I have warmed to Lennon and think he has done a great job, but I don't think his substitution of Bartley by Whittaker can be described as inspired, bloody obvious I would have thought was a better description.

But there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that it changed the game.

What will determine our progress isn't how we fair in the big games as we always seem up for them, it is how we maximise the return from the "easier" games.

Some very good Hibs teams have been found wanting in that regard in my 50 years of watching Hibs.

Even this season we have dropped far more points in such games, particularly at home than we should have, but today was a great result from a poor performance and I will be more than happy with a similar set of outcomes on Tuesday although a better performance would be appreciated :-)

Whittaker played in that role for the development team 2 weeks ago against Dundee Utd. So Lennon has been planning to use him in midfield
Today didn’t just happen by chance.

B.H.F.C
31-03-2018, 07:36 PM
Whittaker played in that role for the development team 2 weeks ago against Dundee Utd. So Lennon has been planning to use him in midfield

He played it in one of the first games he was back, league cup at home. Might have been Arbroath or someone like that. I was told that was the position that was discussed with him before signing.

JohnM1875
31-03-2018, 07:39 PM
He played it in one of the first games he was back, league cup at home. Might have been Arbroath or someone like that. I was told that was the position that was discussed with him before signing.

Position suits him down to a tee. He'll never lose the ability to pick out a pass or have a cracking first touch, but he's clearly lost a yard of pace. Would have started him in front of Bartley today but that doesn't matter. 3 points was the aim and we got them.

BSEJVT

Indeed he did

He was very good that night also

Billy Whizz

Can’t remember that game, but will take your word for it
Think he may start there on Tuesday

B.H.F.C
31-03-2018, 07:42 PM
Can’t remember that game, but will take your word for it
Think he may start there on Tuesday

Better option than Bartley when we have 3 centre halves. Can play if both feet and forward.

Hibee Mac
31-03-2018, 07:49 PM
Feel like that's the position we should be using Whittaker in, we'll be paying his wages for a few more years so need to work out how to get the best from him.

Hibeewilly
31-03-2018, 07:53 PM
If Whittaker has fully recovered from injury (and it looked that way today) we have a right good player on our hands no question. Boyle came into the game bigtime when he came on today and he won a couple of meaty challenges in the middle of the park. brings real quality and experience

Smartie
31-03-2018, 07:56 PM
It was not the change I would have made, that's for sure.

I was thinking of something more radical - I'd have changed the formation and the personnel, possibly sacrificing a centre half.

Bartley wasn't having a bad game, but he wasn't quite what we needed by that stage.

Whittaker played very well though, and has all the attributes to play there more regularly - something I'm sure he'd have done by now if he didn't have a formidable group of Bartley, McGinn, McGeouch and Allan to be picked ahead of.

Credit to Lennon for making the necessary change, but also for resisting the temptation to make other changes that may not have paid off.

Crab apple
31-03-2018, 08:03 PM
Position suits him down to a tee. He'll never lose the ability to pick out a pass or have a cracking first touch, but he's clearly lost a yard of pace. Would have started him in front of Bartley today but that doesn't matter. 3 points was the aim and we got them.

I was surprised by how good he was when he came on. Mind you he was good when we played thistle at home at the start of the season too. Good tackles, good positioning and some great passes. There was a great pass today where he curled the ball with the outside of his boot up the left wing for Oli to chase.

Scouse Hibee
01-04-2018, 10:00 AM
I was surprised by how good he was when he came on. Mind you he was good when we played thistle at home at the start of the season too. Good tackles, good positioning and some great passes. There was a great pass today where he curled the ball with the outside of his boot up the left wing for Oli to chase.

Yes me too, I had forgotten apart from his lack of pace just what great qualities he actually has. He brought a whole new dynamic to the midfield which was great to see.

Col2
01-04-2018, 10:03 AM
Excuse the cliche but Whitaker will feel like a new signing.

blackpoolhibs
01-04-2018, 10:08 AM
The signings of Kamberi and McLaren have transformed us, along with Allan.

We now have pace up front, and two players who have a decent first touch, can score and never give defenders a second.

Compare that to Stokes dropping deep and having a kid in Ollie Shaw playing on his own, where defenders had all the time in the world, and were playing 99% of the time with the game in front of them.

Now defenders are stretched and on the turn much more, and with Scott Allan playing balls through into space and into feet, we have a side that can get further up the park than we have done in years.

And we now create many more chances, and of course are taking them too.

InchHibby
01-04-2018, 10:10 AM
It was definitely a game changer when Whittaker came on, especially in the position he played.
These games are difficult as you have teams fighting for their Premier survival so all in all, a good day at the office. GGTTH

basehibby
01-04-2018, 10:18 AM

Only just??? Jeez - you are hard to please!

For my money it has long since been obvious that Lenny not only knows his chops superbly well as a football manager, but also has shown a passion and respect for Hibernian Football Club which is laudable. He's been a brilliant manager for us and lang may his lum reek at Easter Road!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::nlgwa:thumbsup::thu mbsup::thumbsup:

Sammy7nil
01-04-2018, 12:20 PM

No it happend because Hibs were so ineffective and Marv is not dynamic enough when we are trying to break teams down as BJVEST says it was obvious Marv had to be hooked.

Sammy7nil
01-04-2018, 12:23 PM
The signings of Kamberi and McLaren have transformed us, along with Allan.

We now have pace up front, and two players who have a decent first touch, can score and never give defenders a second.

Compare that to Stokes dropping deep and having a kid in Ollie Shaw playing on his own, where defenders had all the time in the world, and were playing 99% of the time with the game in front of them.

Now defenders are stretched and on the turn much more, and with Scott Allan playing balls through into space and into feet, we have a side that can get further up the park than we have done in years.

And we now create many more chances, and of course are taking them too.

Were you at the game yeterday :greengrin

Northernhibee
01-04-2018, 04:11 PM
Only just??? Jeez - you are hard to please!

For my money it has long since been obvious that Lenny not only knows his chops superbly well as a football manager, but also has shown a passion and respect for Hibernian Football Club which is laudable. He's been a brilliant manager for us and lang may his lum reek at Easter Road!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::nlgwa:thumbsup::thu mbsup::thumbsup:

I truly don't think that's true. We were no great shakes in the championship last season and didn't have Rangers or Hearts and were very inconsistent at the start of this season.

Since Lennon has made changes in the winter window we've been a totally different side and it's been very enjoyable. Consistency is here too which is what I want to see.

Billy Whizz
01-04-2018, 04:32 PM
No it happend because Hibs were so ineffective and Marv is not dynamic enough when we are trying to break teams down as BJVEST says it was obvious Marv had to be hooked.

No it happened because Lennon planned to use him as a midfielder. With McGinn suspended, and Dylan possibly out, we needed an ltetnative player who can drive forward in midfield

Golden Bear
01-04-2018, 04:50 PM
I've defended Whitty many times this season when he was lambasted by others , but really, did he have such a gamechanging effect when he was brought on yesterday? His performance was quietly effective I'd say.

Ozyhibby
01-04-2018, 04:52 PM
I've defended Whitty many times this season when he was lambasted by others , but really, did he have such a gamechanging effect when he was brought on yesterday? His performance was quietly effective I'd say.

It wasn’t as much what he done as the very clear instruction he gave to McGeogh when he came on to play further forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lancs Harp
01-04-2018, 04:54 PM

He played well when he came on, I woudn't go as far as game changing. He provided a bit more forward momentum than Marv did, which we all know isnt exactly Marvs forte. Horses for courses as they say.

Billy Whizz
01-04-2018, 05:00 PM
He played well when he came on, I woudn't go as far as game changing. He provided a bit more forward momentum than Marv did, which we all know isnt exactly Marvs forte. Horses for courses as they say.

Strangely enough, Marv was having his best spell in the game when he was hooked
Whittaker went flying into tackles, and played with a purpose that told me he wants to stay in this team

Smartie
01-04-2018, 05:06 PM

I thought he played very well, but I didn't think he had a game changing effect.

The first goal changed the game.

Whittaker did exactly what he was there to do, and we were much better after he went on, but I thought it was the goal that allowed us to calm down and play, whilst knocking a bit of stuffing out of Thistle.

Ralphy C
01-04-2018, 05:44 PM
Pleased about this as he's still a decent player but can't cut it at full back anymore.