PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Partick Thistle 31 March 2018)

Jonnyboy
31-03-2018, 05:28 PM
A dull and dreary day that for a good hour or so served up a dull and dreary match as the gusting wind and a strangely off the pace Hibs eleven, meant there was little to cheer for from the stands. It did improve however but more of that later.

Despite all the concerns of us having to field a depleted side, with McGinn suspended and both McGeouch and Bartley thought to be injury doubts, there was only one change to the starting eleven that had faced St Johnstone, with McGeouch replacing McGinn. The line-up was the now favoured 3-5-2 whilst Thistle stuck to a traditional 4-4-2 and in the early parts of the game it was the visitors that enjoyed the bulk of possession. It struck me at that point that two key factors were at play here with the first being the absence of McGinn leaving huge spaces in our midfield which, to his credit, Marvin Bartley tried to fill. Little help in that regard was offered by either Allan or McGeouch. The second thing that struck me was that Neil Lennon in the stand meant that messages to the players were delayed in arriving and so alterations to cover the problem areas were slower in arriving.

An early half chance saw Darren McGregor do well to put Miles Storey off after the Thistle man had latched on to a Sammon header and then a poor clearance allowed Devine a shot at goal but the ball sailed high and wide into the North Stand. At the other end, Scott Allan put in a series of wonderful free kicks with Ambrose very close to making a goal scoring connection on one occasion before great inter play between McLaren and Kamberi saw the latter set up McGeouch on the edge of the box. Dylan’s shot was on target but brought out a classy save from Cerny who seemed to land awkwardly on his left shoulder and was unable to continue thereafter.

On the half hour mark a rare slip by Ambrose allowed Storey to fire in a low cross from the left which Sammon flicked towards goal but brought out a stunning save from Cammy Bell. With half time approaching there was little of note to discuss, other than the blatant and unpunished time wasting by Thistle and a series of quite baffling and frustrating decisions by referee Andrew Dallas.

If the Hibs of the first half were slow and sluggish the Hibs of the second half showed a marked improvement. Play was slicker and closing down of opponents much better but with around twenty minutes left the visitors looked to have taken the lead when a Sammon header was brilliantly parried by Bell before Storey lashed the ball home. The joy amongst the travelling support was short lived however as the West Stand linesman flagged for an infringement. It seems to me that when Sammon headed goalwards, Storey was in an offside position and because Bell saved the Thistle striker became active. Had Sammon’s header gone straight in I reckon the goal would have stood.

That wakeup call struck home just a minute or so later when a cracking pass down the line by Ambrose saw Boyle use his searing pace to reach the ball as it neared the bye-line. Having done so he whipped a low cross in to the front post where Jamie McLaren pounced to knock the ball into the net, giving substitute keeper Ryan Scully no chance. Hibs had their tails up now and five minutes later they doubled their lead when a Scott Allan corner was met by Paul Hanlon who sent a looping header over the stretching arms of Scully and into the net.

The last discussion point of the game involved the dismissal of Danny Devine. Having fouled Kamberi and McLaren on a regular basis in the first half but escaped punishment he was booked for kicking the ball away at a Hibs free kick. Now 2-0 down and pushing everyone forward, Thistle were thin at the back and when a long diagonal pass looked to allow Kamberi a free run in on goal, Devine hauled him down and got a second yellow and subsequent red for his troubles.

When the final whistle blew there was a sense of relief because not only had we gained a couple of points on the Rangers, we’d maintained the points difference between ourselves and a much improved Kilmarnock.

The players

Cammy Bell – had one wonderful save in the first half and looked calm and assured throughout.

Efe – cool as a cucumber for 99.9% of the time with only one slip that I can remember.

Daz – got the sponsors’ man of the match award and looked solid throughout.

Paul – came very close to getting my man of the match award and took his goal very well.

Boyler – flitted in and out of the game but was crucial in setting up the opening goal.

Dylan – not at his best today but still looks a very accomplished footballer.

Marv – at times had to do the work of three and was hugely unfortunate to be booked.

Scotty – Thistle’s McCarthy was like his shadow but there were still a fair few moments of brilliance.

Lewis – outstanding again both going forward and defending he was my man of the match.

Jamie – sometimes a tad chicken hearted in the challenge but took his goal really well.

Flo – must go home exhausted because he works so hard. Needs a goal though.

Whitty – replaced Marv and was excellent in the holding role.

Oli – replaced Jamie and buzzed around well drawing one good save from Scully.

Danny – needs to change his name to Swansong as these two minute appearances would then make sense.

The fans – turned out in good numbers but the stadium was eerily quiet for long spells. Got noisy after the goals though!

The ref – poor and unsurprisingly so.

Aim Here
31-03-2018, 05:35 PM
Despite all the concerns of us having to field a depleted side, with McGinn suspended and both McGeouch and Bartley thought to be injury doubts, there was only one change to the starting eleven that had faced St Johnstone, with McGeouch replacing McGinn.

Unless they put Marciano in Cammy Bell's jersey and slipped him past the ref, there were two changes...

Mikey
31-03-2018, 05:46 PM
Unless they put Marciano in Cammy Bell's jersey and slipped him past the ref, there were two changes...

Bell did finish the last game :wink:

Billy Whizz
31-03-2018, 05:54 PM
Great report as always John. Thought Thistle were the better team in the early stages, we just didn’t seem to have any flow to our game. Dylan wasn’t getting on the ball as much as usual, and Scott Allan didn’t feature at all.
After about 30 mins or so throught we started to find our feet

2nd half was much much better. Dylan got involved and started to disctate the play, and Allan was finding space
At Patrick’s disallowed goal, my view was blocked by all the bodies in from of me
Once we got our noses ahead, we started to play better and there was only one winner
Best for me were, Bell for his crucial save at 0-0, (who plays in goal on Tuesday), Ambrose had a great 2nd half, apart from one Efe moment, and McLaren looked the sharper of the strikers, although Kamberi’s work rate is incredible
Thought the subs did well too, and came on at good times. Whittaker looked really up for it, and got stuck it, great to have him back, and shaw took up some great positions late on

All in all, delighted with the 3 points, and look forward to the game on Tuesday, against a team we haven’t beaten yet this season

hibby6270
31-03-2018, 06:02 PM
Another great summary.:thumbsup:

Turning point for me today was bringing on Whittaker. Although his return hasn’t set the heather on fire so far, I felt him directly replacing Marv gave us a more forward and productive impetus and he slotted in well to the Marv role of breaking up play. It was a subtle difference but a game changer imo. Somehow freed up Allan, McGeough and Boyle bringing them into the game more and it paid off.

WoreTheGreen
31-03-2018, 06:05 PM

Turning point for me today was bringing on Whittaker. Although his return hasn’t set the heather on fire so far, I felt him directly replacing Marv gave us a more forward and productive impetus and he slotted in well to the Marv role of breaking up play. It was a subtle difference but a game changer imo. Somehow freed up Allan, McGeough and Boyle bringing them into the game more and it paid off.
Me to thought Whittaker changed the game in our favour

Devonhibs
31-03-2018, 06:13 PM
What was the attendance?

Craig_HFC
31-03-2018, 06:14 PM
Me to thought Whittaker changed the game in our favour

Yep, me too. Whittaker is a lot more comfortable on the ball than Marv which meant that the tempo didn’t drop when Whittaker got the ball as it did when Bartley did.

superfurryhibby
31-03-2018, 06:34 PM
As always, great summary.

To be fair to Thistle, I thought they played us pretty well, especially in the first half. They were competitive and decent enough on the ball. I would also say that they never resorted to the thuggish tactics that we see so regularly against us. Hope they stay up.

Pretty Boy
31-03-2018, 06:35 PM
Good report as always J.

I think Whittaker could be a big asset in that role he played today in the coming weeks.

bigwheel
31-03-2018, 06:41 PM
Great Jonnyboy...enjoyed reading that....

I thought Daz struggled with Sammon in the first half...got his act together much better in the second -didn't see him as MOM. Lewis or Efe for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hibee_girl
31-03-2018, 06:43 PM
Great report as always :aok:

Have to say I was surprised that McGregor got MOTM as I felt he was off his game a bit in the first half. For me it was Stevenson or Hanlon who deserved it.

Green Badger
31-03-2018, 06:43 PM

Agree 100%. Our performance improved dramatically when Whittaker came on. We gained more possession in midfield and it certainly meant more time on the ball for both Allan and McGeough.

cabbageandribs1875
31-03-2018, 06:47 PM
i thought bell had a great save in the 2nd half as well, down near his right hand post although it was straight at him he at least was in the right position

JimBHibees
31-03-2018, 06:52 PM
Thought Paul Hanlon was mom. Drove us on second half and topped it off with a goal.

Aim Here
31-03-2018, 06:57 PM

Have to say I was surprised that McGregor got MOTM as I felt he was off his game a bit in the first half. For me it was Stevenson or Hanlon who deserved it.

Almost everybody on the Hibs side was off their game in the first half. I thought that McGregor looked like the only player who was even switched on in the first 45 minutes.

BSEJVT
31-03-2018, 07:13 PM
Almost everybody on the Hibs side was off their game in the first half. I thought that McGregor looked like the only player who was even switched on in the first 45 minutes.

Would agree with this

I would probably also have given Lewis man of the match also.

erin go bragh
31-03-2018, 07:36 PM
What was the attendance?
17.442 ( think that was what was announced:)

Smartie
31-03-2018, 08:00 PM
I thought Hanlon was motm.

I don't remember him making a mistake all day, helped the attack in both halves of the game and put the game to bed with a great goal.

I thought that Scott Allan was another candidate though. It was a great set piece delivery for the second goal, and he carved the Thistle defence open with another couple. He's often the difference for us in the final third.

bordergreen
31-03-2018, 08:18 PM
A dull and dreary day that for a good hour or so served up a dull and dreary match as the gusting wind and a strangely off the pace Hibs eleven, meant there was little to cheer for from the stands. It did improve however but more of that later.

Despite all the concerns of us having to field a depleted side, with McGinn suspended and both McGeouch and Bartley thought to be injury doubts, there was only one change to the starting eleven that had faced St Johnstone, with McGeouch replacing McGinn. The line-up was the now favoured 3-5-2 whilst Thistle stuck to a traditional 4-4-2 and in the early parts of the game it was the visitors that enjoyed the bulk of possession. It struck me at that point that two key factors were at play here with the first being the absence of McGinn leaving huge spaces in our midfield which, to his credit, Marvin Bartley tried to fill. Little help in that regard was offered by either Allan or McGeouch. The second thing that struck me was that Neil Lennon in the stand meant that messages to the players were delayed in arriving and so alterations to cover the problem areas were slower in arriving.

An early half chance saw Darren McGregor do well to put Miles Storey off after the Thistle man had latched on to a Sammon header and then a poor clearance allowed Devine a shot at goal but the ball sailed high and wide into the North Stand. At the other end, Scott Allan put in a series of wonderful free kicks with Ambrose very close to making a goal scoring connection on one occasion before great inter play between McLaren and Kamberi saw the latter set up McGeouch on the edge of the box. Dylan’s shot was on target but brought out a classy save from Cerny who seemed to land awkwardly on his left shoulder and was unable to continue thereafter.

On the half hour mark a rare slip by Ambrose allowed Storey to fire in a low cross from the left which Sammon flicked towards goal but brought out a stunning save from Cammy Bell. With half time approaching there was little of note to discuss, other than the blatant and unpunished time wasting by Thistle and a series of quite baffling and frustrating decisions by referee Andrew Dallas.

If the Hibs of the first half were slow and sluggish the Hibs of the second half showed a marked improvement. Play was slicker and closing down of opponents much better but with around twenty minutes left the visitors looked to have taken the lead when a Sammon header was brilliantly parried by Bell before Storey lashed the ball home. The joy amongst the travelling support was short lived however as the West Stand linesman flagged for an infringement. It seems to me that when Sammon headed goalwards, Storey was in an offside position and because Bell saved the Thistle striker became active. Had Sammon’s header gone straight in I reckon the goal would have stood.

That wakeup call struck home just a minute or so later when a cracking pass down the line by Ambrose saw Boyle use his searing pace to reach the ball as it neared the bye-line. Having done so he whipped a low cross in to the front post where Jamie McLaren pounced to knock the ball into the net, giving substitute keeper Ryan Scully no chance. Hibs had their tails up now and five minutes later they doubled their lead when a Scott Allan corner was met by Paul Hanlon who sent a looping header over the stretching arms of Scully and into the net.

The last discussion point of the game involved the dismissal of Danny Devine. Having fouled Kamberi and McLaren on a regular basis in the first half but escaped punishment he was booked for kicking the ball away at a Hibs free kick. Now 2-0 down and pushing everyone forward, Thistle were thin at the back and when a long diagonal pass looked to allow Kamberi a free run in on goal, Devine hauled him down and got a second yellow and subsequent red for his troubles.

When the final whistle blew there was a sense of relief because not only had we gained a couple of points on the Rangers, we’d maintained the points difference between ourselves and a much improved Kilmarnock.

The players

Cammy Bell – had one wonderful save in the first half and looked calm and assured throughout.

Efe – cool as a cucumber for 99.9% of the time with only one slip that I can remember.

Paul – came very close to getting my man of the match award and took his goal very well.

Boyler – flitted in and out of the game but was crucial in setting up the opening goal.

Marv – at times had to do the work of three and was hugely unfortunate to be booked.

Scotty – Thistle’s McCarthy was like his shadow but there were still a fair few moments of brilliance.

Lewis – outstanding again both going forward and defending he was my man of the match.

Jamie – sometimes a tad chicken hearted in the challenge but took his goal really well.

Danny – needs to change his name to Swansong as these two minute appearances would then make sense.

The fans – turned out in good numbers but the stadium was eerily quiet for long spells. Got noisy after the goals though!

I thought Ambrose had a howler today. Made quite a few mistakes that we luckily got away with. Also numerous passes where he gave away possession. I agree with the rest of your summary. Also thought Kamberi looked good again, strong, quick feet, a real handful.

houstonhibbee
31-03-2018, 08:20 PM
Thought Paul Hanlon was mom. Drove us on second half and topped it off with a goal.
Agreed

Lancs Harp
31-03-2018, 08:56 PM
The first half if we are honest was pretty dire, I thought Thistle had some decent possession without having any punch. We played much better in the second half, more movement, moved the ball quicker, as others have said I thought Whitty did very well when he came on, no slight on Marv but we needed a deep lying midfield player that was a bit more of a ball player than Marv is for this particular game. Efe was Efe for me, some lovely moments with the odd heart attack moment thrown in, Cammy still worries me on crosses, he doesnt get off the ground, hes done well otherwise but Rocky for me when hes available. Overall many of the lads had a quiet afternoon, no one really excelling but we got away with it to an extent, 3 very welcome points.

No idea if the offside decision (presume it was offside) was correct or not, was sat in the FF.

Green Man
31-03-2018, 08:57 PM
No idea if the offside decision (presume it was offside) was correct or not, was sat in the FF.

I was in the south, with a good view of the goal, and have no idea if it was the correct decision!

Billy Whizz
31-03-2018, 08:58 PM
I thought Ambrose had a howler today. Made quite a few mistakes that we luckily got away with. Also numerous passes where he gave away possession. I agree with the rest of your summary. Also thought Kamberi looked good again, strong, quick feet, a real handful.

His best bits were better than his worse bits. Almost cost us a goal early in the 2nd half, but after that he was fantastic
He’s playing almost as a right back, not his best position

Nakedmanoncrack
31-03-2018, 09:02 PM

To be fair to Thistle, I thought they played us pretty well, especially in the first half. They were competitive and decent enough on the ball. I would also say that they never resorted to the thuggish tactics that we see so regularly against us. Hope they stay up.

I thought Partick played very well up until the goal, for a team in their position, probably heading for the play-off place.
If you contrast how utterly dire we were that season we ended up in the play-off place.

Jonnyboy
31-03-2018, 09:02 PM

Yep, as you and others have said he made a very positive impact. He's calmer in possession and reads the game very well.

Very good point :agree:

Really? :greengrin

ronaldo7
31-03-2018, 09:03 PM

The players

Jamie is not chicken hearted, John, he's Australian. 😥

Thank God he doesn't play cricket.

Jonnyboy
31-03-2018, 09:03 PM
Jamie is not chicken hearted, John, he's Australian. 😥

Thank God he doesn't play cricket.

:greengrin

RyeSloan
31-03-2018, 09:11 PM
I thought Hanlon was motm.

I don't remember him making a mistake all day, helped the attack in both halves of the game and put the game to bed with a great goal.

I thought that Scott Allan was another candidate though. It was a great set piece delivery for the second goal, and he carved the Thistle defence open with another couple. He's often the difference for us in the final third.

Hanlon somehow seemed to fall over the ball at a rather heart stopping moment in the second half but apart from that was class. For a centre half he is starting to be a bit of a threat when he takes it on himself to start playing wing back [emoji1303][emoji3]

Not sure why Whittaker didn’t start...the formation that took the pitch was always going to concede the midfield.

Anyway a good end to a poor match and three points in the bag. You gotta have a few of these types of days where you take the win and move confidently on.

Borderhibbie76
31-03-2018, 10:18 PM

Have to say I was surprised that McGregor got MOTM as I felt he was off his game a bit in the first half. For me it was Stevenson or Hanlon who deserved it.We all said at the game it was Lewy or Hanlon....efe was good but couple of switch offs 2nd half which could have cost us

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

danhibees1875
31-03-2018, 10:43 PM
Great report as always - thank you!

I think Partick have a bottom of the table clash with Ross county midweek. Their defender taking a red card (and subsequent suspension) over a possible 3-0 seems like a daft decision.

BigT-Hibeez
31-03-2018, 10:52 PM
Great Jonnyboy...enjoyed reading that....

I thought Daz struggled with Sammon in the first half...got his act together much better in the second -didn't see him as MOM. Lewis or Efe for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah Big Efe for me.. Strolled it, and made some great runs and passes.. Really hope he's here next season

Deek9
31-03-2018, 11:27 PM
Agreed

Me too

Deek9
31-03-2018, 11:29 PM

Drove forward like McGinn on a couple of occasions.

southsider
31-03-2018, 11:40 PM
Scott had an subline flick neat the end that was just about sensational had we scored. The boy is quality and we need to get him signed up asap. Missed Sjm today. His drive was lacking. But 3 pnts.

wearehibernian
01-04-2018, 12:45 AM
Hanlon (great runs), Stevenson (gives his all), Kambari (relentless) and I also though McGregor just did his job too... Whaittaker was great when he came on and McLaren tried hard as hell. Feeding off scraps mainly but love his attitude. A classic grinding a result type of out game because if Thistle's goal had been allowed we would have really struggled. A VITAL 3 points IMO!

bordergreen
01-04-2018, 05:59 AM
Yep, as you and others have said he made a very positive impact. He's calmer in possession and reads the game very well.

Very good point :agree:

Really? :greengrin

Yes, really. I was sitting in section 26 and had a very good view of him 2nd half. Watch the highlights and see how many misplaced passes he made that nearly cost us.

Jonnyboy
01-04-2018, 08:25 AM
Yes, really. I was sitting in section 26 and had a very good view of him 2nd half. Watch the highlights and see how many misplaced passes he made that nearly cost us.

Sorry, didn’t mean my really response to come across as a bit cheeky :greengrin I just don’t recall that many Efe errors

Danderhall Hibs
01-04-2018, 09:05 AM
Has anyone worked out why the thistle goal was disallowed yet?

Did we get a dodgy decision back as part of the evening up process?

bigwheel
01-04-2018, 09:12 AM

offside call on a striker who moves for the ball after the header which bell saves (what a save by the way) ...but not the one that actually scores I think...looks a lucky call for us...

NORTHERNHIBBY
01-04-2018, 09:12 AM
Wee Lewis MOTM for me. Also I wonder if the failure get going was partially down to the break rather than missing SJM. For Thistle, I thought Sammon put in a decent shift. I would like us to have that kind of front man option as well.

PeeJay
01-04-2018, 09:15 AM
A dull and dreary day that for a good hour or so served up a dull and dreary match as the gusting wind and a strangely off the pace Hibs eleven, .....

No time to watch game on Hibs TV yesterday, your report is - as ever - next best thing - cheers ... :greengrin

Brightside
01-04-2018, 09:24 AM
Amazed that some on here still think that the likes of Russel Martin etc are better than our Captain. Defence was top class yesterday. Midfield had a poor day.

bigwheel
01-04-2018, 09:27 AM
Amazed that some on here still think that the likes of Russel Martin etc are better than our Captain. Defence was top class yesterday. Midfield had a poor day.

think I'm well in the minority, but I thought Sammon bossed Mcgregor for most of the first half yesterday...that said, Daz certainly came out on top second half...the rest of the decent did well though - solid 90 mins

neil7908
01-04-2018, 09:40 AM
Hanlon man of the match but I think Kamberi had made a massive improvement to our attack.

It looks like McLaren is the more natural goalscorer but Kamberi wins his share of headers, holds the ball up intelligently and is fairly mobile and quick footed.

I think he's made a massive difference to how we play as we now have a chance to go long when we have to knowing that one of our forwards has a good shout at winning the ball. Would be great to keep both strikers into next season.

neil7908
01-04-2018, 09:41 AM

I'd like to see the highlights again but seems like Storey (who put the ball in the net) was offside when Sammon headed the ball towards goal.

Danderhall Hibs
01-04-2018, 09:42 AM
offside call on a striker who moves for the ball after the header which bell saves (what a save by the way) ...but not the one that actually scores I think...looks a lucky call for us...

That’s all I think it could be. I wouldn’t be happy if that happened to us.

Still we’ve been due a few to go our way.

NAE NOOKIE
01-04-2018, 10:48 AM
That first half was as flat as we have been all season and I have no doubt Mr Lennon conveyed that message to the dressing room at half time in rather more direct fashion :greengrin

Much better in the 2nd half and in the end deserved our win, though if the Thistle goal had stood I doubt we would have got more than a draw ... we have been good enough lately to deserve a good result out of a mediocre performance, but we cant afford any more performances like that first hour or we wont be winning many games in the top six.

Bell ..... 7 ..... Made a couple of top saves and if he is replaced by Rocky on Tuesday he can be more than pleased with his contribution over the last 2 games.

Ambrose .... 7 ..... A couple of WTF moments, but I love the way he tries to push us up the park.

McGregor ... 7 .... Had a tough time with Sammon in the first half, but as he always does came out on top in the end.

Hanlon .... 8 .... Cant remember an error from him and at times in the 2nd half he drove us yards into their half with some dynamic runs, chuck in his goal and that makes him the MOM.

Stevenson .... 7 .... Solid as a rock ... this is turning into one of his best seasons for Hibs if you ask me.

McGeouch .... 6 .... Pretty anonymous for much of the game, but neat and tidy as always without creating much of note.

Bartley .... 6 .... He looked a bit off the pace for me, but gave 100% as always ... if he has a fault its lacking the confidence to drive forward with the ball when the opportunity arises.

Allan .... 6 ..... I thought the first half passed him by ... like most of our midfield to be fair ... much better in the 2nd, though there was one point he annoyed me a bit by trying the world cup ball when a simpler pass would have kept our attack going, having said that some sublime moments as well.

Boyle .... 6 ..... Given very little room by their defence in the first half, got more into the game after half time and his pace was instrumental in getting us our first goal.

McLaren ..... 6 ..... Starved of the ball for much of the game, but came alive when it mattered and took his goal very well.

Kamberi .... 7 .... Worked his absolute arse off for 90 minutes and endeared himself to the crowd at one point by chasing 30 yards to win the ball back.

SUBS:

Whittaker ... 5 .... Made a difference when he came of after NL had spotted the glaringly obvious fact that we needed to replace Marv with a player more capable of spotting a forwards pass.

Shaw ... 5 .... Did well when he came on with some good movement and runs.

Swanson ... 3 ... For coming on ... he must be looking forward to next season because this one has been a damp squib for him, made abundantly clear by the fact that Whittaker was considered a more effective sub to put on with us chasing the game.

A wee nod to Partick Thistle for not resorting to booting us off the park like so many of the other teams we have played this season and actually trying to play football.

andybev1
01-04-2018, 10:55 AM

Looking at the goal on hibstv, Bell saves initially but the ball goes over the line anyway so maybe the guy was near enough to be judged as interfiering with play but he did not score.

Phil MaGlass
01-04-2018, 10:59 AM
That first half was as flat as we have been all season and I have no doubt Mr Lennon conveyed that message to the dressing room at half time in rather more direct fashion :greengrin

Much better in the 2nd half and in the end deserved our win, though if the Thistle goal had stood I doubt we would have got more than a draw ... we have been good enough lately to deserve a good result out of a mediocre performance, but we cant afford any more performances like that first hour or we wont be winning many games in the top six.

Bell ..... 7 ..... Made a couple of top saves and if he is replaced by Rocky on Tuesday he can be more than pleased with his contribution over the last 2 games.

Ambrose .... 7 ..... A couple of WTF moments, but I love the way he tries to push us up the park.

McGregor ... 7 .... Had a tough time with Sammon in the first half, but as he always does came out on top in the end.

Hanlon .... 8 .... Cant remember an error from him and at times in the 2nd half he drove us yards into their half with some dynamic runs, chuck in his goal and that makes him the MOM.

Stevenson .... 7 .... Solid as a rock ... this is turning into one of his best seasons for Hibs if you ask me.

McGeouch .... 6 .... Pretty anonymous for much of the game, but neat and tidy as always without creating much of note.

Bartley .... 6 .... He looked a bit off the pace for me, but gave 100% as always ... if he has a fault its lacking the confidence to drive forward with the ball when the opportunity arises.

Allan .... 6 ..... I thought the first half passed him by ... like most of our midfield to be fair ... much better in the 2nd, though there was one point he annoyed me a bit by trying the world cup ball when a simpler pass would have kept our attack going, having said that some sublime moments as well.

Boyle .... 6 ..... Given very little room by their defence in the first half, got more into the game after half time and his pace was instrumental in getting us our first goal.

McLaren ..... 6 ..... Starved of the ball for much of the game, but came alive when it mattered and took his goal very well.

Kamberi .... 7 .... Worked his absolute arse off for 90 minutes and endeared himself to the crowd at one point by chasing 30 yards to win the ball back.

SUBS:

Whittaker ... 5 .... Made a difference when he came of after NL had spotted the glaringly obvious fact that we needed to replace Marv with a player more capable of spotting a forwards pass.

Shaw ... 5 .... Did well when he came on with some good movement and runs.

Swanson ... 3 ... For coming on ... he must be looking forward to next season because this one has been a damp squib for him, made abundantly clear by the fact that Whittaker was considered a more effective sub to put on with us chasing the game.

A wee nod to Partick Thistle for not resorting to booting us off the park like so many of the other teams we have played this season and actually trying to play football.

I wonder what both your ratings would have been had we lost, :greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
01-04-2018, 11:01 AM
I wonder what both your ratings would have been had we lost, :greengrin

Worse :greengrin

Hiber-nation
01-04-2018, 11:04 AM

Russell Martin is the only player to play International football who's never made a tackle in his life.

Sammy7nil
01-04-2018, 12:14 PM
Yeah Big Efe for me.. Strolled it, and made some great runs and passes.. Really hope he's here next season

I thought Efe was strolling it then he had a mad twenty mins from 50 - 70 mins when everything he did went wrong. Missed the ball lost possession and was generally all over the place in that period. Then he over hit the pass for the goal but we scored and he returned to pipe and slippers mode :greengrin

ACLeith
01-04-2018, 12:33 PM
Looking at the goal on hibstv, Bell saves initially but the ball goes over the line anyway so maybe the guy was near enough to be judged as interfiering with play but he did not score.
Their guy standing in offside position when header comes in. After save he goes for the ball though it's a teammate who puts it in

Maybe given for being right in front of keeper at header as he is interfering after save made. But guy who put it in was onside

If we got a break yesterday then only about another half dozen to begin evening out.

Benny Brazil
01-04-2018, 02:10 PM
I thought Efe was strolling it then he had a mad twenty mins from 50 - 70 mins when everything he did went wrong. Missed the ball lost possession and was generally all over the place in that period. Then he over hit the pass for the goal but we scored and he returned to pipe and slippers mode :greengrin

Agreed he looked a bit shaky of a short spell - then flicked the ball over the boys head and strolled away - was a moment of real class and kind of sums him up for me - moments of madness combined with some pure class

Allant1981
01-04-2018, 02:26 PM

end of the day the current and previous national coaches dont think he is good enough, doesnt matter what anyone else thinks

HibbyAndy
01-04-2018, 03:52 PM
Paul Hanlon was motm he drove the team forward yesterday with effe a close 2nd

erin go bragh
01-04-2018, 07:41 PM
Their guy standing in offside position when header comes in. After save he goes for the ball though it's a teammate who puts it in

Maybe given for being right in front of keeper at header as he is interfering after save made. But guy who put it in was onside

If we got a break yesterday then only about another half dozen to begin evening out.

It was Effe that headed the ball forward , so no one was offside. About time we got a bloody dubious decision tho :)

ACLeith
01-04-2018, 08:03 PM
It was Effe that headed the ball forward , so no one was offside. About time we got a bloody dubious decision tho :)

Only watched it on my phone not seen Sportscene yet so not seen that. But still need loads unfairly for us to even things up as you say