PDA

View Full Version : Joshua vs Parker

sambajustice
30-03-2018, 07:40 PM
Is this a real fight then or a hype job to sell tickets and PPV?

Last week was built up to be a genuine fight and turned into an ok boxer smashing Mr Blobby.

To the proper.boxing people in here, what do you think?

CallumLaidlaw
30-03-2018, 07:42 PM

Last week was built up to be a genuine fight and turned into an ok boxer smashing Mr Blobby.

Real fight to me. Parker looks a lot leaner than he has in his last 2/3 fights. He’s quick so is a different type of opponent for AJ. I’m looking forward it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Dieu4
30-03-2018, 07:53 PM

On paper it's a good fight, two unbeaten heavyweight champions but both are relatively untested in the grand scheme of things, both have decent amateur pedigree as well so it's not a total mismatch, as ever with heavyweight boxing it could be over with one punch, it's really interesting as we will find out a lot about both of them in this one

the rest of the card is decent on it too so I'm more than happy to pay £20 for it

Pretty Boy
30-03-2018, 08:13 PM
I think Joshua wins.

It's a decent test for him but I've never been blown away by Parker, he didn't look at all impressive v Hughie Fury and looked laboured v Cojanu; albeit he must have have been a nightmare to look good against. Parker is pretty quick but Joshua coming in as light as he has will counter than to an extent. I'm sure it's just talk from Parker and an attempt to get the red mist to come down but I don't think Joshua is as chinny as he is sayig. He took a monster of a punch from Klitschko and whilst he went down he got back up, survived the crisis and won the fight. Not many guys get hit like that by WK and get back up.

Joshua late stoppage or UD with Parker putting in a good showing I reckon.

H18 SFR
30-03-2018, 08:35 PM
Similar to the Klitchko fight for me, both to how the canvas and AJ to win.

Lancs Harp
30-03-2018, 09:24 PM
Parker can hit and in that respect he has a chance but i'd be surprised if he won this one. Ive got AJ middle round stoppage.

lord bunberry
30-03-2018, 09:38 PM
I’m surprised at the boxing people I respect on this forum calling this as a close fight. AJ will win in whatever style he sees fit imo. This fight is nothing more than a stepping stone for AJ. Is Parker a true heavyweight? I don’t see it myself, he’ll have the speed, but not the power.

Onceinawhile
30-03-2018, 10:10 PM
I’m surprised at the boxing people I respect on this forum calling this as a close fight. AJ will win in whatever style he sees fit imo. This fight is nothing more than a stepping stone for AJ. Is Parker a true heavyweight? I don’t see it myself, he’ll have the speed, but not the power.

A stepping stone to where though? Deontay wilder is a bum with an inflated record per the boxing experts.

Mantis Toboggan
30-03-2018, 10:21 PM
Parker was poor in his last fight albeit against a late stand in. He's tough but doesn't even have a punchers chance

Navids Numpties
30-03-2018, 10:27 PM

It may well be a hype job as Eddie Hearn could sell me my own skidmarked undies.

MagicSwirlingShip
30-03-2018, 10:30 PM
Definitely a test for AJ, but anyone looking for the real threat to his belts should look to the undercard.

Alexander Povetkin will demolish Price and is in line to face AJ next. Dangerous fella.

Navids Numpties
30-03-2018, 10:34 PM
Definitely a test for AJ, but anyone looking for the real threat to his belts should look to the undercard.

Alexander Povetkin will demolish Price and is in line to face AJ next. Dangerous fella.

Povetkin is a beast, reminds me of Mike Tyson somewhat, priceys chin is made of glass and has already been knocked out by 2 drug cheats and Hearn has went and thrown him in with someone who’s already been charged with drug abuse. Hearn is trying to make price go into early retirement. Hope he does well though as he seems a good chap.

lord bunberry
30-03-2018, 11:30 PM
A stepping stone to where though? Deontay wilder is a bum with an inflated record per the boxing experts.
A stepping stone to unification. Parker isn’t in the same league as AJ. Wilder is the obvious big fight, but like you I’m not convinced by him, especially if the fight happens in this country. AJ could find his biggest test comes from one of the domestic heavyweights, Fury, Whyte and Price are all potential fights that would capture the imagination.

Nameless
31-03-2018, 05:22 AM
AJ in the 5th, 6th or 7th.

Looking further forward, I think Whyte will fight Wilder and beat him. AJ will have a couple of lower key mandatory defences, then Joshua-v-Whyte II will happen at Wembley in summer '19.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

nellio
31-03-2018, 09:31 AM
Proper fight 100% WBO is a decent belt and Parker is a good fighter.

You don't get proper unification fights very often so looking forward to this.

Wasn't overly impressed with Parker against Fury. I think AJ will beat him. Could go the distance or AJ mid to late stoppage.

Tobias Funke
31-03-2018, 12:45 PM
AJ in the 5th, 6th or 7th.

Looking further forward, I think Whyte will fight Wilder and beat him. AJ will have a couple of lower key mandatory defences, then Joshua-v-Whyte II will happen at Wembley in summer '19.

No way is Whyte beating Wilder, he will get cleaned out early doors by Deontay.

Nameless
31-03-2018, 03:58 PM
No way is Whyte beating Wilder, he will get cleaned out early doors by Deontay.Whyte is a banger with a good chin, as is Wilder, so it would likely come down to the better boxing brain. As yet, Wilder hasn't shown if his is any better than Whyte's.

JimBHibees
31-03-2018, 07:08 PM
Anyone know when Joshua fight starts?

Pretty Boy
31-03-2018, 07:19 PM
Anyone know when Joshua fight starts?

Ring walks expected at about 10.30.

MagicSwirlingShip
31-03-2018, 07:44 PM
No way is Whyte beating Wilder, he will get cleaned out early doors by Deontay.

I wouldn’t write off Whyte. He gave AJ plenty problems and had improved markedly since.

hibs#1
31-03-2018, 08:15 PM
I wouldn’t write off Whyte. He gave AJ plenty problems and had improved markedly since.

Yeah plenty to like about Whyte.

Pretty Boy
31-03-2018, 08:50 PM
Price has boxed well thus far. Working his jab well and wobbled Povetkin at the end of the 1st. Povetkin getting some success to the body.

Mon Dieu4
31-03-2018, 08:52 PM
Id love Price to do this

Pretty Boy
31-03-2018, 08:53 PM
Ooft big counter and Price goes down. Got into a swinging match.

CallumLaidlaw
31-03-2018, 08:55 PM
Ooft big counter and Price goes down. Got into a swinging match.

Big punch there. Glad he got a count.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty Boy
31-03-2018, 08:56 PM
Povetkin almost goes, what a shot by Price.

Great round.

Mon Dieu4
31-03-2018, 08:56 PM
Mon Dave!!!

Pretty Boy
31-03-2018, 08:59 PM
Tony Bellew sounds like he's about to explode.

Pretty Boy
31-03-2018, 09:02 PM
That's that then.

Price chin is always going to be an issue.

Mon Dieu4
31-03-2018, 09:02 PM
****ing shame, game performance from him, Povetkin shouldnt even be allowed to box, cheating ****

Pretty Boy
31-03-2018, 09:05 PM
Seeing that KO again, not sure many could have taken that. Hit right on the temple and was out on his feet. The finishing shot was brutal.

David_D
31-03-2018, 09:06 PM
****ing shame, game performance from him, Povetkin shouldnt even be allowed to box, cheating ****

This. Shouldn’t be allowed to fight after two failed drugs tests.

JimBHibees
31-03-2018, 09:13 PM
Ring walks expected at about 10.30.

Thanks

JimBHibees
31-03-2018, 09:16 PM
This. Shouldn’t be allowed to fight after two failed drugs tests.

Why didn't he get a 2 year World drugs agency ban?

hibs#1
31-03-2018, 09:18 PM
Shame for big Price.always liked him he's had some rotten luck but his jaw always betrays him.

Hibs90
31-03-2018, 09:19 PM
That last shot was a belter

Mon Dieu4
31-03-2018, 09:20 PM
Why didn't he get a 2 year World drugs agency ban?

In boxing it's normally up to the governing bodies what the ban is or the sanctioning board

IGRIGI
31-03-2018, 09:33 PM
The ring walks could be longer than the actual fight.

hibs#1
31-03-2018, 09:36 PM
I'll say AJ inside 3 rounds.

Pretty Boy
31-03-2018, 09:38 PM
Both look very relaxed walking in. You can normally see if someone is tense but they bothe looked genuinely calm.

IGRIGI
31-03-2018, 09:44 PM
She's top trolling with this national anthem fest :greengrin

Pretty Boy
31-03-2018, 09:45 PM
Fight will start this time tomorrow at this rate.

Hibby70
31-03-2018, 09:45 PM
GSTQ, Superbowl style

hibs#1
31-03-2018, 09:46 PM
The world's longest national anthem.

H18 SFR
31-03-2018, 09:47 PM
Parker inside 7 rounds is my new predication.

Hibee87
31-03-2018, 09:47 PM
Fight will start this time tomorrow at this rate.

Haha how long is the NZ anthen

Pretty Boy
31-03-2018, 09:55 PM
Joshuas round without doing a lot. Owned the middle of the ring and landed a couple of nice shots. Parker looks comfortable enough.

Pretty Boy
31-03-2018, 09:59 PM
Joshuas reach advantage is the issue for Parker, he can't get close.

H18 SFR
31-03-2018, 10:03 PM
Rubbish fight.

Pretty Boy
31-03-2018, 10:04 PM
Rubbish fight.

It's been good watching AJ box so well, showing great discipline and doing everything right.

Hibs90
31-03-2018, 10:06 PM
Guff fight.

Mon Dieu4
31-03-2018, 10:07 PM
Good to see AJ using the jab and not constantly try and detonate the right hand yet

Pretty Boy
31-03-2018, 10:10 PM
Better round from Parker.

Hibs90
31-03-2018, 10:13 PM
Better round this.

Pretty Boy
31-03-2018, 10:15 PM
Getting interesting.

Frazerbob
31-03-2018, 10:19 PM
This ref is worse than Clancy.

IGRIGI
31-03-2018, 10:23 PM
Ref thinks they've paid tickets to watch him.

David_D
31-03-2018, 10:39 PM
That ref was horrendous.

H18 SFR
31-03-2018, 10:39 PM
Worst unification fight ever.

Hibs90
31-03-2018, 10:40 PM
**** paying hundreds to go see that.

matty_f
That ref was horrendous.

:agree: Ruined it.

Pretty Boy
I think Joshua wins.

It's a decent test for him but I've never been blown away by Parker, he didn't look at all impressive v Hughie Fury and looked laboured v Cojanu; albeit he must have have been a nightmare to look good against. Parker is pretty quick but Joshua coming in as light as he has will counter than to an extent. I'm sure it's just talk from Parker and an attempt to get the red mist to come down but I don't think Joshua is as chinny as he is sayig. He took a monster of a punch from Klitschko and whilst he went down he got back up, survived the crisis and won the fight. Not many guys get hit like that by WK and get back up.

Joshua late stoppage or UD with Parker putting in a good showing I reckon.

.....I'm pretty sure I'm right here.

hibs#1
31-03-2018, 10:57 PM
Parker much better than I thought,deserves to be at world level.clever performance from Joshua used his jab well but not the usual fireworks we expect from him.

Steve-O
31-03-2018, 11:11 PM
The world's longest national anthem.

It was the Samoan AND NZ national anthems.

lord bunberry
01-04-2018, 12:19 PM
Joshua did a very professional job on Parker. It wasn’t exciting to watch, but he won’t be bothered about that. The question is, how good is Joshua? It’s hard to see anyone out there that’s likely to overly trouble him. Whyte would be a good fight, but I don’t see why he would have anymore of a chance than the last time, and Fury as a lot to prove.

JimBHibees
01-04-2018, 03:07 PM
It was the Samoan AND NZ national anthems.

The disrespect shown by the crowd was appalling.

Pretty Boy
01-04-2018, 03:47 PM

It's always the case at these events. A huge gathering of pissed up 'lads' with no real regard for the sport. I remember being at the Braehead when Curtis Woodhouse was TKOd by Willie Limond, he was a bit unsteady for a few minutes and a bunch of guys next to me were screaming he was an 'English poof' and 'I hope you ****ing die ya ****'. Classy. The same guys were making monkey noises at Wadi Camacho the same night.

I've never understood how difficult it is to stand quietly for an anthem and show a bit respect to anybody brave enough to actually get in the ring in the 1st place.

patch1875
01-04-2018, 10:40 PM
Pretty awful fight. AJ lucky it’s a pretty weak division just now.

Steve-O
02-04-2018, 10:37 AM

Same thing happened at the previous fight v Hughie Fury. I don’t think many are aware it’s two anthems. The NZ one also has a Maori verse followed by an English one so it does last quite a while! Still, booing is poor form.

Pretty Boy
02-04-2018, 11:50 AM
I don't really understand the reaction to AJ after the fight, not really on here but across social media and some of the media.

A few years back when Joshua was blowing away journeymen it was 'wait until this guy from NZ Parker gets a hold of him'. The fight is made, Joshua shows a more than decent level of boxing skill and beats a live opponent pretty comfortably and it's 'that was boring', 'look how poor he is when in with a real boxer'.

I think the mists of time make everyone believe there was never a bad (tactical?) heavyweight fight pre 2005. Ali, Frasier, Foreman et al were in a few stinkers and had their share of points wins. Lennox Lewis was a master at keeping distance with the jab and throwing the big right sparingly; he was booed out the ring for doing exactly that to another famous Kiwi many moons ago.

Though they won't admit it I actually think Fury, Wilder, Povetkin etc will be more worried seeing Joshua box to a plan and show some skill behind the jab than they may have been if he had gone in and tried to blast Parker out.

I thought both boxed well, Joshua used his attributes well and was the better boxer over the piece.

Tobias Funke
02-04-2018, 12:13 PM
I don't really understand the reaction to AJ after the fight, not really on here but across social media and some of the media.

A few years back when Joshua was blowing away journeymen it was 'wait until this guy from NZ Parker gets a hold of him'. The fight is made, Joshua shows a more than decent level of boxing skill and beats a live opponent pretty comfortably and it's 'that was boring', 'look how poor he is when in with a real boxer'.

I think the mists of time make everyone believe there was never a bad (tactical?) heavyweight fight pre 2005. Ali, Frasier, Foreman et al were in a few stinkers and had their share of points wins. Lennox Lewis was a master at keeping distance with the jab and throwing the big right sparingly; he was booed out the ring for doing exactly that to another famous Kiwi many moons ago.

Though they won't admit it I actually think Fury, Wilder, Povetkin etc will be more worried seeing Joshua box to a plan and show some skill behind the jab than they may have been if he had gone in and tried to blast Parker out.

I thought both boxed well, Joshua used his attributes well and was the better boxer over the piece.

:top marksExcellent summary.

Steve-O
02-04-2018, 08:29 PM

Agree mostly but I don’t think many were saying “wait till Parker gets hold of him”. Parker’s career has followed a similar, if less spectacular, trajectory to Joshua. Certainly nobody in NZ thought of him as the favourite in this match. If anything, he’s proven a few people wrong who thought he was nowhere near Joshua. Probably me included, if I’m honest.

Tobias Funke
03-04-2018, 10:41 PM
Wilder confirmed today he is willing to fight AJ in the UK this summer, 60/40 split agreed apparantly. I really hope they get this signed off as soon as possible and before any mandatory fights are set in place.