PDA

View Full Version : World Cup 2018: No British referees

theonlywayisup
29-03-2018, 07:25 PM
There will be no British referee at the World Cup this summer for the first time since 1938.

Fifa has chosen 36 officials for the tournament in Russia but none from England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43110905

Are our referees really that bad?

Sauzee16
29-03-2018, 07:26 PM
Yes. Add into the equations they will want Var compliant ones.

Pretty Boy
29-03-2018, 07:34 PM
Was there not talk of the government asking the respective FAs not to send officials because of the Salisbury incident?

Maybe a decision taken to avoid a potential flashpoint.

Lancs Harp
29-03-2018, 07:38 PM
Not really bothered what nation they come from personally as long as they are capable of making the right decisions.

Ozyhibby
29-03-2018, 07:42 PM
Haven’t Fifa heard how amazing refs from Glasgow, Lanarkshire and Ayrshire are? [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mibbes Aye
29-03-2018, 08:18 PM
Clattenburg would have been an obvious contender but I think his move to Saudi ruled him out.

I suspect he is well-paid for his job there but it would be interesting to know whether the prospect of missing out on the WC finals crossed his mind, especially as he would have been in contention for the final itself.

MWHIBBIES
29-03-2018, 08:24 PM
Clattenburg would have been an obvious contender but I think his move to Saudi ruled him out.

I suspect he is well-paid for his job there but it would be interesting to know whether the prospect of missing out on the WC finals crossed his mind, especially as he would have been in contention for the final itself.
He had the Euro final, FA Cup and Champions league final in 2016, that was probably his peak moment and he isn't bothered anymore.

GreenNWhiteArmy
29-03-2018, 08:52 PM
No John Beaton? Must be some mistake

stantonhibby
29-03-2018, 09:05 PM
No John Beaton? Must be some mistake

Alan Muir must be gutted

WoreTheGreen
29-03-2018, 09:11 PM
Scottish “refs” VAR very amateurish rubbish

Colr
29-03-2018, 09:13 PM
Haven’t Fifa heard how amazing refs from Glasgow, Lanarkshire and Ayrshire are? [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But Rangers aren’t in the World Cup, although I think the SFA have proposed that they will be entered as it will be better for Scottish football.

Mibbes Aye
29-03-2018, 09:47 PM
He had the Euro final, FA Cup and Champions league final in 2016, that was probably his peak moment and he isn't bothered anymore.

Do you think? The European Championship is a serious tournament but the World Cup Final is the World Cup Final and he had basically done all the lead-up or understudy roles for it.

As I said, I can only imagine he is on an incredibly far better salary in his current job and I can quite understand why he would choose that. Was just curious about that trade-off. It happens with players in a similar but different way.

Slim Shady
29-03-2018, 09:57 PM
Yes. Add into the equations they will want Var compliant ones.

William Collum is our only one trained in VAR

Lancs Harp
29-03-2018, 10:12 PM
Do you think VAR will enhance this world cup or diminish it?

Personally in theory its a good idea I'm just sceptical about its execution. Think it will create more issues than it solves.

lord bunberry
29-03-2018, 10:25 PM

Personally in theory its a good idea I'm just sceptical about its execution. Think it will create more issues than it solves.
I really don’t like it. Goal line technology is fine, but at times it’s been a bit of a farce, and it’s still not ended up with the right decision.

Phil MaGlass
30-03-2018, 06:31 AM
Theres no Scottish ref good enough for these high profile games

blackpoolhibs
30-03-2018, 06:43 AM
Theres no Scottish ref good enough for any games in any league.

Sorted.

danhibees1875
30-03-2018, 06:44 AM
I really don’t like it. Goal line technology is fine, but at times it’s been a bit of a farce, and it’s still not ended up with the right decision.

That's where I am. Fine with goal line technology, but not fussed by VAR.

I'd rather see better respect shown to referees and people just getting on with it and accepting that not every decision is going to go in their teams favour.

Clerie Green
30-03-2018, 06:46 AM
Truthfully,does anyone really care ?

its not the Hibees!

:flag:

theonlywayisup
30-03-2018, 07:42 AM

If you're into the 94th minute in the World Cup Final, it's all square and there is a "Henry" moment and the goal is correctly disallowed, then it will be proven to be a very good idea.

The problem is it's use in all the 50/50 decisions - even with VAR these can be difficult to decide one way or another. Just think of the examples when a 'expert' at half times says clear penalty, when others are not so sure.

theonlywayisup
30-03-2018, 07:43 AM
Truthfully,does anyone really care ?

its not the Hibees!

:flag:

Plenty! It's a football forum.

overdrive
30-03-2018, 12:26 PM
The problem with VAR (the odd technical issue such as the squiggly lines aside) is that the video refs are trying to make a name for themselves. The rules say it should only be used where there is a clear and obvious error. It is being used for incidents that are a bit 50-50 due to these pricks' egos. The other main issue is the time that it takes for a decision to be made which I don't understand as it is really quick in rugby league and quicker than football in rugby union.

Hibee Mac
30-03-2018, 09:12 PM
VAR is going to be shown up as a farce in this world cup I'm sure of it.

It seems like a genuine threat to the game for me, I've moaned about refereeing decisions my whole life but now that VAR is being introduced I want the human element of the decisions to stay.

We need human mistakes as that's what football is, not some robotic nonsense.

Phil MaGlass
31-03-2018, 01:52 PM
We dont need pi5h Scottish human refereeing mistakes, they are just cheating *******s.I never used to think they were cheats but the more I watch them the more I am convinced they have agendas.Even with VAR as shown in the england game they will still make the wrong decisions to benefit one team.