PDA

View Full Version : Do I wear the Hibs tartan at my daughter's wedding?

CockneyRebel
29-03-2018, 09:26 AM
I am having a wee crisis of conscience. As an Englishman who has lived in Edinburgh and supported Hibs for over 30 years and been a Hibs ST holder for over 20 years I don't think many Hibees would object to my wearing of the Hibs tartan. My problem is my feelings about those that I call pseudo Scots - the 4th or 5th generation American/Canadian/Australians etc. who descend on Scotland every year looking for any obscure connection between their family tree and any clan/tartan and then go home with a full Highland Dress outfit to join in all kinds of Scottish related events instead of being content to be American/Canadian/Australians etc. The same could be said about those of (long ago) Irish descent. My son and daughter were 6 months and two and a half years old when they came to live here and through school/friends/work etc. they feel and behave as native Scots so why do 5th or 6th generation natives of the aforementioned countries feel the need look elsewhere for their roots? My kids don't hanker for a "knees up Mother Brown" or want to dress up as a Pearly King or Queen, they are as happy with their nationality as I am with mine.
So - with this in mind do I wear the Hibs full monty to my daughter's wedding or a suit? The groom and his 2 best men (the 3 amigos) will be wearing kilts and I'm sure my daughter would prefer me to do the same. The groom is a Hearts supporter (a really good guy) so I also feel that the Hibs tartan could be construed as a GIRUY to the groom and his family. I have no love of anything maroon or Heart's supporters in general, but I'm not daft and I know there are (a few) good ones out there. I did think of getting a waistcoat in Hibs tartan to wear with my suit but have had no luck finding a source.
I keep swithering back and forth and I only have a few months to make a decision.

Sammy7nil
29-03-2018, 09:31 AM
I am having a wee crisis of conscience. As an Englishman who has lived in Edinburgh and supported Hibs for over 30 years and been a Hibs ST holder for over 20 years I don't think many Hibees would object to my wearing of the Hibs tartan. My problem is my feelings about those that I call pseudo Scots - the 4th or 5th generation American/Canadian/Australians etc. who descend on Scotland every year looking for any obscure connection between their family tree and any clan/tartan and then go home with a full Highland Dress outfit to join in all kinds of Scottish related events instead of being content to be American/Canadian/Australians etc. The same could be said about those of (long ago) Irish descent. My son and daughter were 6 months and two and a half years old when they came to live here and through school/friends/work etc. they feel and behave as native Scots so why do 5th or 6th generation natives of the aforementioned countries feel the need look elsewhere for their roots? My kids don't hanker for a "knees up Mother Brown" or want to dress up as a Pearly King or Queen, they are as happy with their nationality as I am with mine.
So - with this in mind do I wear the Hibs full monty to my daughter's wedding or a suit? The groom and his 2 best men (the 3 amigos) will be wearing kilts and I'm sure my daughter would prefer me to do the same. The groom is a Hearts supporter (a really good guy) so I also feel that the Hibs tartan could be construed as a GIRUY to the groom and his family. I have no love of anything maroon or Heart's supporters in general, but I'm not daft and I know there are (a few) good ones out there. I did think of getting a waistcoat in Hibs tartan to wear with my suit but have had no luck finding a source.
I keep swithering back and forth and I only have a few months to make a decision.

Speak to your daughter and her future husband and go with what they want. It is their day. Also there is no problem with wearing a kilt where ever you come from.

Killiehibbie
29-03-2018, 09:32 AM
If your daughter wants you to wear a kilt go for it. If the jambos don't like your family tartan:greengrin

easty
29-03-2018, 09:33 AM
Wear the kilt. You're over-thinking it.

Pretty Boy
29-03-2018, 09:34 AM
Do it.

It's a nod to your current home and a big part of your life. I can't imagine any Hearts fans seeing it as anything other than the above and maybe a bit banter, no one would surely take it as a GIRUY.

If your daughter thinks of herself as Scottish I'm sure she'd appreciate you wearing a kilt and I'd think the grooms family would feel the same; it would be a nice touch.

EH54
29-03-2018, 09:36 AM
I got married this year to a Jambo I wen't with my own Tartan but made sure a few mates came in the Hibs tartan,

I would go for the Hibs Tartan, :)

Hibbyradge
29-03-2018, 09:36 AM
My mate is Norwegian.

He never misses an opportunity to wear the kilt.

green day
29-03-2018, 09:38 AM
Do it.

But more importantly, make sure your baws are hanging free. Nothing worse than someone wearing undies with a kilt 😉

Spike Mandela
29-03-2018, 09:38 AM
Speak to your daughter and her future husband and go with what they want. It is their day. Also there is no problem with wearing a kilt where ever you come from.

Agreed, but draw the line at wearing a maroon tartan. There are hundreds of available tartans to choose from other than Hibs.

I don’t follow rugby but wore the Scottish rugby union tartan which is made up of Hibs colours and managed to get my jambo best man in it along with the Englishman giving the bride away. A double whammy.��

Sammy7nil
29-03-2018, 09:42 AM
Do it.

But more importantly, make sure your baws are hanging free. Nothing worse than someone wearing undies with a kilt ��

Keep the kilt down when you sit down nothing worse than seeing the last turkey in shop :wink:

BroxburnHibee
29-03-2018, 09:43 AM
If your daughter wants you to wear it then that's all you need to know.

IGRIGI
29-03-2018, 09:47 AM
I'd have a word first with them,I know if a future father in law of mine turned up at my wedding with a Hearts tartan WW3 would be kicked off early.

Greenbeard
29-03-2018, 09:49 AM
Agree speak to your daughter. It is her day. If the groom is as good a guy as you say he'll let her have her way on her big day and if she wants her dad in a kilt, and that kilt, gofrit. Doubt he'll be that fussed. Maybe skip the green and white face paint though.

scuttle
29-03-2018, 09:55 AM
If others are wearing Hertz tartan then its your duty as a Hibby to wear it, unless the bride wants you all the same then a neutral tartan would b in order

Jay
29-03-2018, 10:17 AM
Dont overthink it. If the grooms okay with it then go for it.

The Pointer
29-03-2018, 10:25 AM
Wear it with pride GH. I've been to many weddings where blokes from furth of Scotland have worn the kilt and these days it doesn't really matter. It's your kilt and your choice and whether there are guests of other footballing persuasions or not shouldn't really come into it.

I just have one thing. Tweed jacket for the day, black jacket for the evening. :wink::aok:

Hope all goes well and it's a great day.

One Day Soon
29-03-2018, 10:30 AM
If someone was knob enough to turn up at my wedding wearing Hearts tartan kilt I'd think they were using the opportunity of my wedding to be a complete tool. In other words the day is about the wedding, not about which team you support. Though the groom seems to be of a different view.

On the other hand a wee nod in that direction with either a Hibs tartan tie - or a waistcoat at a pinch - may be ok. But to be honest as the father of the bride I think you're in the spotlight so I'd go Hibs class, rise above it and not wear Hibs tartan. I would not, however, miss and hit the wall in my speech as father of the bride. In fact if I were flush enough I'd announce one of my wedding day gifts to the happy couple in my speech - season tickets at Easter Road from their grandparents for any grandchildren to come. I'd also be tempted to try to place well hidden easter eggs throughout my speech - references to 1973, 0-7, 6-2, 114, 21st May, poppies (ouch), natural order. Or maybe even write the speech in such a way that the first word of every paragraph spells out a hidden message. eg "Forever I'll be singing..."

At the end of the day all that matters is what your daughter wants. I'd say she's sacrificing enough marrying a Jambo. I'm conflicted between behaving and just going for it. Depends on how much Jamboness the groom and fellow window lickers will introduce to the proceedings. Just make sure you get Sunshine on Leith played at the reception at some point, then stand well back and watch the fireworks. They hate it.

But the main question is - how the ****** have we got to the point where she's marrying a Jambo? :wink:

Oh and fine to wear a kilt.

Geo_1875
29-03-2018, 10:47 AM
To be honest, you're only the father of the bride. You're only there to appear in a couple of photos and pay for everything.

You'd be perfectly entitled to wear full highland in a Hibs tartan, unless your daughter says different.

Smartie
29-03-2018, 10:47 AM
Wear it with pride, and prepare to have the pish ripped out of you.

It's part of the fun of the occasion.

NAE NOOKIE
29-03-2018, 11:05 AM
Provided it isn't genuinely an issue with the groom's family I cant see any reason you shouldn't wear the Hibs tartan. As for your 'right' to wear a kilt I wouldn't worry about that mate, if you want to go down that route half the folk born and bred in Scotland wouldn't be allowed to wear one, never mind 10th generation ex pats or folk with no historic connection to Scotland whatsoever.

The rise in tartans people can associate with that doesn't involve a 'family name' has probably come about as a direct result of the snobbery of some sections of Scottish society who tried to maintain that unless you could prove a connection to a clan or whatever you shouldn't be wearing a kilt .... The truth is nobody in this part of Scotland should wear one if you want to be historically accurate ... none of the Scottish lowland army regiments wear kilts, its always the 'trews' south o' Perth.

My mate and his entourage wore Hibs kilts at his wedding years ago and its as nice a tartan as you will ever see in any kilt .... go for it mate :aok:

PS ..... If you want to lighten the mood you could always replace your Sgian dubh with a spoon :greengrin

overdrive
29-03-2018, 11:20 AM
Just don't do what ex-Hearts goalkeeper, Steve Banks, did and wear it back to front. :faf:

pollution
29-03-2018, 11:25 AM
You don't have any Scottish blood in you so do not wear a kilt.

Residence does not equate with history.

Very good question you asked in the first place - respect to you.

Speedy
29-03-2018, 11:26 AM
Wear a kilt but not the Hibs tartan

Alan62
29-03-2018, 11:29 AM
Wear it. You know you want to.

NAE NOOKIE
29-03-2018, 11:45 AM

Utter pish

Swedish hibee
29-03-2018, 11:56 AM
Speak with your daughter, if she wants you to wear the kilt- then wear it. And in any colour, that wouldn't bother me. It's your daughters day and I'm sure you'd do anything to make her happy. Have a great day when it comes.

lyonhibs
29-03-2018, 11:57 AM

Crock of absolute *****.

Wear the kilt if that's what your daughter and you would like to do.

allezsauzee
29-03-2018, 12:00 PM
you're allowing your daughter to marry a Jambo? :hmmm:

Scouse Hibee
29-03-2018, 12:09 PM
It's a no from me which is all down to my personal feeling. I am 50 and since August have lived in Edinburgh longer than Liverpool (25 years and a few months). My wife is Scottish and our son born and bred in Scotland is obviously Scottish. I love to see him dressed in his kilt and he has attended numerous functions, weddings etc down south wearing a kilt as you would expect. I have never worn a kilt and never will. I just don't feel that as an English man I have the right to wear a kilt, and would feel as if I was an imposter.
I know many folk will say I am being daft and of course I know of many English adopted Scots including my close friends who wear kilts to functions.

It just doesn't sit right with me, though I agree a kilt looks fantastic and I know I would never be criticised for wearing one.

CockneyRebel
29-03-2018, 12:10 PM
you're allowing your daughter to marry a Jambo? :hmmm:

We don't do arranged marriages.

Tomsk
29-03-2018, 12:12 PM
Do what you like, but if you want avoid looking like a Christmas tree stay clear of all forms of tartan, especially kilts.

CockneyRebel
29-03-2018, 12:18 PM
It's a no from me which is all down to my personal feeling. I am 50 and since August have lived in Edinburgh longer than Liverpool (25 years and a few months). My wife is Scottish and our son born and bred in Scotland is obviously Scottish. I love to see him dressed in his kilt and he has attended numerous functions, weddings etc down south wearing a kilt as you would expect. I have never worn a kilt and never will. I just don't feel that as an English man I have the right to wear a kilt, and would feel as if I was an imposter.
I know many folk will say I am being daft and of course I know of many English adopted Scots including my close friends who wear kilts to functions.

It just doesn't sit right with me, though I agree a kilt looks fantastic and I know I would never be criticised for wearing one.

Pretty much my take on it Scouse.

Bristolhibby
29-03-2018, 01:03 PM
Utter pish

Agree. My best men at my wedding (both English) were part of the wedding party and wore kilts.

My two brother in laws and father in law (all English) wore morning suits.

Fill your boots. It’s a bit easier in my family as we are all Hibees.

My cousin married his wife and her Dad is a massive Jambo. We all bought Hibs balloons which we blew up during the disco and secreceted them around the dance floor.

J

hibby6270
29-03-2018, 01:18 PM
Wear a kilt. Nationality is no barrier to kilt wearing.

If wearing Hibs tartan is going to make you feel uncomfortable for whatever reason (personally I see no reason why it should), another suggestion?
Does your surname have its own tartan or a link to a clan tartan? Choosing that option (if available) might ease your conscience?

FranckSuzy
29-03-2018, 01:26 PM
Wear whatever you and your daughter are comfortable with :aok:

When my brother got married, he and his best man had just left the Scots Guards so wore a Royal Stewart tartan kilt. My dad didn't fancy it so wore the tartan trousers version instead and everyone was happy.

Enjoy the day :flag:

heretoday
29-03-2018, 03:12 PM
Wear a morning suit with a nice bright tie and you won't have to worry about offending anyone on either side.

Enjoy the day.

overdrive
29-03-2018, 03:22 PM
My cousin married his wife and her Dad

Is that legal? :greengrin

Lago
29-03-2018, 04:17 PM
Supprised your getting a choice, when my daughter got married I was told exactly what to wear, no ifs buts or maybes.😁

SeanWilson
29-03-2018, 05:55 PM
IMO father of the bride can do wtf he wants... mine certainly did 😀

Don't see the problem with you wearing a kilt at all.

Sauzee16
29-03-2018, 05:59 PM
Get the thumbs up from your daughter and everyone else can gtf if there’s a problem.

Sauzee16
29-03-2018, 05:59 PM
IMO father of the bride can do wtf he wants... mine certainly did 😀

Don't see the problem with you wearing a kilt at all.

That orange shirt spoiled the photos tho 😆

barcahibs
29-03-2018, 06:07 PM
The whole modern concept of clan tartans and kilts is pretty much an English invention anyway. It's just that us Scots being so bloody minded have grabbed it, ran with it and made it our own - not to mention the fact its excellent for fleecing rich tourists "the Schwarzenegger clan tartan sir? Certainly, just down here, the Schwarzenegger clan is an offshoot of the Royal Stuarts. That'll be seven... Erm i mean... Nine hundred pounds please."

If your daughter wants it, and you feel an attachment to Scotland, then wear it with pride.

wookie70
29-03-2018, 06:28 PM

Total rubbish. The kilt may be regarded as a Scottish garment but Scottish qualities extent to hospitality and inclusion. I'd rather see an Englishman in a kilt than a Scotsman wearing one to the exclusion of others not born with his "blood"

If you can get the tartan my wife could easily knock up a waistcoat. She has made a good few over the years along with tartan suits etc.

NevadaHibee
29-03-2018, 06:32 PM

What absolute nonsense. I have no Scottish blood but have lived here my whole life and will wear a kilt at every chance I get...especially if it annoys folks like this.

iwasthere1972
29-03-2018, 06:40 PM
Just do it and make sure they play Sunshine on Leith at the reception.

Speedy
29-03-2018, 06:40 PM

Disagree. Definitely fair game to wear a kilt to a Scottish wedding.

Lancs Harp
29-03-2018, 06:56 PM
Hibs Baw bags is the answer. Quality.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
29-03-2018, 07:07 PM
If your Son-in-Law to be is a decent sort he'll be fine with you wearing the tartan of the team you support.

If he's unhappy then he's not good enough for yer lassie, so tell her to bin him and find a nice Hibs laddie! :greengrin

The Harp
29-03-2018, 07:30 PM
It's your daughter's big day. If she wants you to wear the kilt, and her groom to be is fine with you wearing the Hibs tartan then go for it.
Don't over-think it, it'll be here and gone before you know it. Relax and enjoy the big day, whatever you decide to wear.

iwasthere1972
29-03-2018, 07:49 PM
The kilt will be okay but don't do the Purple Bricks.

WoreTheGreen
29-03-2018, 07:54 PM
The kilt will be okay but don't do the Purple Bricks.

If it’s cold it could be purple prick

Kavinho
29-03-2018, 08:06 PM
Didn't read every reply, but I didn't see anyone suggesting getting tartan troos made to measure?

It lifts the father of the bride to a level above every kilt wearer at the wedding. Dinner jacket, black tie and troos.

Guaranteed you'll be smartest dressed and the kilt wearers will be jealous..

Speaking from experience - it was what my father in law chose, and it blew away the amateur 1st time kilt wearers from overseas.

Good luck & hope it's a great great day & night.

Colr
29-03-2018, 09:35 PM

Can’t agree with that. Anyone can wear a kilt and they can wear any tartan they want.