PDA

View Full Version : Sjm

Greenbeard
29-03-2018, 08:37 AM
Most on here seem resigned to SJM moving on in the summer. Simon Donnelly in The Hootsmon this morning urging the Tic to sign him as successor to Broony who I note will soon be 33. How's about a swap? We could get a couple of good years from Broony back at his spiritual home. Would mean less or even no spare dosh for other signings, deals or training facilities upgrade, but SJM's departure is going to leave a big hole to fill in the midfield and who better?

Jones28
29-03-2018, 08:40 AM
Would Brown want to come back?

We are obsessed with bringing former players back.

blackpoolhibs
29-03-2018, 08:40 AM
Most on here seem resigned to SJM moving on in the summer. Simon Donnelly in The Hootsmon this morning urging the Tic to sign him as successor to Broony who I note will soon be 33. How's about a swap? We could get a couple of good years from Broony back at his spiritual home. Would mean less or even no spare dosh for other signings, deals or training facilities upgrade, but SJM's departure is going to leave a big hole to fill in the midfield and who better?

Aye that would be great, i'm a little worried about the wages thing though, and the fact that he's celtics captain at the moment.

Do you think we could get round these obstacles?

Hibbyradge
29-03-2018, 08:45 AM
No thanks.

1. I'd rather not have to see him playing for Celtic.

2. NL could do a lot with our share of SJMs transfer fee.

3. We have an indoor pitch to build.

Thief
29-03-2018, 08:48 AM
Think Scott will end his career at hibs, but think he’ll have at least one more full season at Celtic [emoji20]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SirDavidsNapper
29-03-2018, 08:51 AM

I've thought about this too and i have a feeling Brown might end up back at Hibs. Wouldn't be against it as he's probably the most decorated player we're likely to see in this country for a while and his experience would be invaluable. I don't think it will be a deal involving SJM however..

I'd like to see SJM move to England. He has a huge future ahead of him and the sell on Rod will have written in will make us an absolute fortune in the future i have no doubts.

w pilton hibby
29-03-2018, 08:53 AM
Think Scott will end his career at hibs, but think he’ll have at least one more full season at Celtic [emoji20]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No chance of that according to this:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/celtic-star-scott-brown-ends-12267981

blackpoolhibs
Saw an online interview with Brown only yesterday, saying although he has fond memories of Hibs, he see's himself finishing his career at Parkhead.

Greenbeard
No thanks.

1. I'd rather not have to see him playing for Celtic.

2. NL could do a lot with our share of SJMs transfer fee.

3. We have an indoor pitch to build.

1. Understand many will feel like that. But Bronny back here would soften those feelings, no?
2. and 3. AS I said, accepted these are options which would be hit without SJM dosh. You pays your money......

Ideal swap for me would be a deal done this summer but with the swap not taking place til Jan so we have SJM for Europe (confidence) and early season.

Sauzee16
29-03-2018, 08:57 AM
Whoever John leaves us to go to I feel it would be more beneficial to get a player swap and a high percentage of the next sale instead of the transfer fee which will be due partially to St Mirren.

Billy Whizz
29-03-2018, 08:59 AM
Whoever John leaves us to go to I feel it would be more beneficial to get a player swap and a high percentage of the next sale instead of the transfer fee which will be due partially to St Mirren.

Who do you fancy in return

Greenbeard
29-03-2018, 09:00 AM
No chance of that according to this:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/celtic-star-scott-brown-ends-12267981

Ach weel........ Full size indoor pitch it is then.

Sauzee16
29-03-2018, 09:01 AM
Who do you fancy in return

If Celtic? Calvin Miller and Scott Allan?

Hibbyradge
29-03-2018, 09:02 AM

A value would be placed on any player we took in a swap deal and we would have to pay St Mirren the agreed percentage of that.

There would be no financial benefit to be had.

And, although we might have a high sell on clause agreed with his new club, in your scenario, we'd get nothing if they did a swap deal.

Finally, if he does go to Celtic, the likelihood of him moving may be slim anyway. See Scott Brown.

CropleyWasGod
29-03-2018, 09:03 AM

If it is a player swap, that player, and SJM, will be valued in the deal. St Mirren will be due their cut of the SJM value.

SirDavidsNapper
29-03-2018, 09:03 AM
Broony needs to come home if only to get away from Rodgers calling him Browny all the time like a bloody small cake

EH54
29-03-2018, 09:04 AM
If Celtic Allan would be a start. I would rather not see Hibs sell to Celtic however if it means getting another quality player back in return its a no brainier. IMO

Sauzee16
29-03-2018, 09:06 AM
Sorry guys I didn’t realise that. I thought a percentage in transfer fee for McGinn was exactly that.

EH54
29-03-2018, 09:07 AM
If the player being part of the deal is taking into account who Values him? for instance if we Sell McGinn to Celtic for a fee and Scott Allan who decided Scott Allan's value?

Vini1875
29-03-2018, 09:09 AM
Not sure Scott Brown at Hibs would be good business for us. Wages aside, he would likely that he is too big for the club. He apparently was a rangers fan as a boy and that has clearly gone. He is a celtc legend so he is hardly going to want to tarnish that by playing for another Scottish club.

Good luck to him, but he is winding down. SJM on the other hand is a player on the rise, he is improving all the time. I hope to never witness him in a celtc shirt, if he leaves it should be for an EPL club.

Sauzee16
29-03-2018, 09:09 AM
If the player being part of the deal is taking into account who Values him? for instance if we Sell McGinn to Celtic for a fee and Scott Allan who decided Scott Allan's value?

I vote for Sevco. They valued Allan at £20 and a bottle of ginger.

Smartie
29-03-2018, 09:12 AM
I don't see Brown playing for Hibs again.

He'll stay at Celtic until he's past his best, then he'll be no use to us.

I don't think we're so far behind Celtic that this is the kind of deal we'd be interested in, and I don't think he'd want to play for us whilst he still has so much to offer Celtic.

CropleyWasGod
29-03-2018, 09:15 AM

The clubs, just as they do in a cash deal.

EH54
29-03-2018, 09:22 AM
Aye but if that's between Celtic and Hibs I would imagine Hibs would make sure the Allen valuation was as low as possible so they wouldn't need to part with any cash with St Mirren, It would make no difference to Celtic was Allan's valuation is if a deal is agreed.

Hibbyradge
29-03-2018, 09:28 AM
Aye but if that's between Celtic and Hibs I would imagine Hibs would make sure the Allen valuation was as low as possible so they wouldn't need to part with any cash with St Mirren, It would make no difference to Celtic was Allan's valuation is if a deal is agreed.

That would be cheating.

It would affect Celtic because they'd have to pay more for SJM.

It's not possible anyway.

CropleyWasGod
29-03-2018, 09:33 AM

If there was any hint of artificially-low values being used, St Mirren would be justified in appealling to the SFA.

That apart, the players would probably need to be properly valued for insurance purposes.

Daydreamer
29-03-2018, 09:34 AM
If Mcginn is to go it should not be to celtic under any circumstances. We cannot afford any longer to sell to our main rivals. We now have a chance to win either of the cups each season due to the increased income from the crowds and being back in the premiership. Did anyone watch the first half of the last Rangers v celtic game? Brown was over run in the first half but came on to a great game in the second due to the 'everyone's against us' after the sending off.

makaveli1875
29-03-2018, 09:37 AM
its been mentioned on here before but if we lose SJM we should try to sign his brother Stephen . St Mirren have been unstoppable since they signed him , he plays a similar role to SJM and would be good for Allan if we manage to keep him

keep the faith
29-03-2018, 09:51 AM
Getting Allan back on a perm should be priority 1. If we get enough from an English club for SJM we can then buy SA.

I suspect strongly that he will be used as leverage by Celtic to get super John though.

CraigHibee
29-03-2018, 09:53 AM
Would Brown want to come back?

We are obsessed with bringing former players back.

i'm sure brown done an interview a while ago saying he would love to finish his career at hibs, was on sky sports

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/9134526/brown-id-like-to-give-back-to-hibs

edit: but then i google search and find this

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/celtic/scott-brown-i-d-love-to-end-my-career-at-celtic-1-4446442

Geo_1875
29-03-2018, 11:07 AM
I don't want SJM at Celtc (or any other Scottish club) and I don't want Brown back at Hibs.

Does anyone believe Brown in a Hibs jersey would receive the same treatment from referees that he gets in green and grey hoops?

29-03-2018, 11:17 AM
SJM to Celtic, Allan to Hibs plus cash. SJM on loan to Hibs for a season. I'd be happy with that.

Diclonius
29-03-2018, 11:21 AM
1M and Allan + Brown could work.

J-C
29-03-2018, 11:27 AM

A right kick in the teeth to St Mirren, sold him to us in good faith expecting a percentage when he's sold only for them to get nowt if we do a swap :confused:

We need to either get a good fee for him in the summer or get him signed up on an extension, my thoughts are he may want another season to progress but if a good offer from England ( his preferred destination ) comes in it may be hard to turn down, for him and for us.

CropleyWasGod
29-03-2018, 11:32 AM
A right kick in the teeth to St Mirren, sold him to us in good faith expecting a percentage when he's sold only for them to get nowt if we do a swap :confused:

We need to either get a good fee for him in the summer or get him signed up on an extension, my thoughts are he may want another season to progress but if a good offer from England ( his preferred destination ) comes in it may be hard to turn down, for him and for us.

As was explained, that won't happen.

southern hibby
29-03-2018, 11:36 AM
My moneys on Celtic signing him in summer and giving us Scott Allan and possibly Christie on loan plus SJM on loan for the season as they still have Scott Brown. Will it happen? don’t know but been told this from a Celtic supporter who is very close to the Celtic board.

GGTTH

MWHIBBIES
29-03-2018, 12:14 PM
What do Hibs gain from giving Celtic a midfielder for the next 10 years for one we'll get 2/3 years out of at best.

This club will never meet Neil Lennons ambitions if we keep giving players to rivals. We have to be ruthless and do what is best for Hibs, not John McGinn. Get rid of him to the highest bigger from another league or keep him.

Iain G
29-03-2018, 12:22 PM
What do Hibs gain from giving Celtic a midfielder for the next 10 years for one we'll get 2/3 years out of at best.

This club will never meet Neil Lennons ambitions if we keep giving players to rivals. We have to be ruthless and do what is best for Hibs, not John McGinn. Get rid of him to the highest bigger from another league or keep him.

It's not giving players to rivals, the money and / or players on offer would have to meet whatever valuation Hibs put on McGinn, whether its from Celtic or from England.

If he is being touted as the Scott Brown replacement then we have the Scott Brown transfer price as a benchmark to start negotiations from :)

Smartie
29-03-2018, 12:57 PM

Or - if he's to join a team in our league then they must pay a premium for hm to do so.

J-C
29-03-2018, 01:05 PM
SJM is a current regular internationalist and playing as one of the best midfielders in the country, if Celtic want him then lets talk Brown figures, £4m minimum and no less or they can get stuffed.

Aim Here
29-03-2018, 01:31 PM

A bag of money and/or Scott Allan.

Hibs aren't going to be able to afford SJM for 10 years; we likely can't afford to keep him after the end of next season. Getting *something* from him beforehand is likely the smart move.

Greenbeard
29-03-2018, 01:48 PM
A bag of money and/or Scott Allan.

Hibs aren't going to be able to afford SJM for 10 years; we likely can't afford to keep him after the end of next season. Getting *something* from him beforehand is likely the smart move.

"and/OR" Scott Allan? Don't think so. Big difference in value. Any such deal must mean good dosh to Hibs.
Best case scenario - a 3 year extension on his contract. Likelihood - as you say, zero. Unfortunately I am resigned to the fact that we have to realise the asset that he is and a summer deal is inevitable. Best we can hope for is a deal that keeps him with us on loan at least until Jan. That might be possible if he goes to Celtic. Very unlikely if he goes dan saf.

Betty Boop
29-03-2018, 01:48 PM
Broony needs to come home if only to get away from Rodgers calling him Browny all the time like a bloody small cake

Think he regards Parkhead as home unfortunately.

SouthMoroccoStu
29-03-2018, 02:05 PM
McGinn to Celtic (but back on a year loan)

Armstrong and Allan coming in return

Pagan Hibernia
29-03-2018, 02:51 PM

What do Hibs gain by letting a top class midfielder walk away for nothing, possibly to Celtic, next season?

Id be gutted to see our wonderful midfield broken up this summer but as Lennon said today we have to be realistic.

Pagan Hibernia
29-03-2018, 02:53 PM

id be satisfied (not happy) with that but would Celtic agree to shelling out hard cash for a player that they can potentially sign for free a year later if they dont intend to play him next season anyway?

i suppose it depends on the interest from England and elsewhere

SteveHFC
29-03-2018, 02:57 PM
My moneys on Celtic signing him in summer and giving us Scott Allan and possibly Christie on loan plus SJM on loan for the season as they still have Scott Brown. Will it happen? don’t know but been told this from a Celtic supporter who is very close to the Celtic board.

GGTTH

Would take that.

Aim Here
29-03-2018, 03:06 PM

That's a bit wishful.

What 'return'? Celtic wouldn't gain anything from loaning McGinn to us for the whole of next season. They could just wait until summer 2019 and sign him for free anyways.

Pagan Hibernia
29-03-2018, 03:13 PM
That's a bit wishful.

What 'return'? Celtic wouldn't gain anything from loaning McGinn to us for the whole of next season. They could just wait until summer 2019 and sign him for free anyways.

Only reason they’d do it would be if they were scared of losing out to someone else. But I agree it’s very unlikely.

Jones28
29-03-2018, 03:18 PM

That's dreamland stuff - Allan yes but getting Armstrong? No way.

FWIW I can't help but think JM will go south rather than west.

silverhibee
29-03-2018, 03:58 PM
Brown will finish his football career at Celtc and then move into the coaching side of things with them.

So if Celtc want McGinn they can pay the going price for him.

My worry would be Lennon moving down south in the summer and maybe taking some of our players with him.

Souter96Mac
29-03-2018, 04:11 PM

I heard Griffiths as well

SteveHFC
29-03-2018, 04:14 PM
I heard Griffiths as well

:hyper

Haymaker
29-03-2018, 04:19 PM

Johnny_Leith
29-03-2018, 04:26 PM
Brown will finish his football career at Celtc and then move into the coaching side of things with them.

So if Celtc want McGinn they can pay the going price for him.

My worry would be Lennon moving down south in the summer and maybe taking some of our players with him.

Ipswich will be looking for a new gaffer. I wouldn't be surprised to see Lennon linked with various opportunities. I just hope his spell at Bolton has soured his reputation down there.

If SJM goes to Celtic I think any of Allan, Christie and morgan, the latter two probably being loans, would be the players I'd like in return.

shetlandhibee
29-03-2018, 04:52 PM
one thing Thats not really been mentioned Scott browns wages he,ll i would imagine will be ?(and this is just a guess on my part i honestly Dont know) in the region of 20k a week hes there(Celtics) captain, first pick on the team sheet each week and trying to get in the champions league every season, for these reasons IMO he wont be back at Hibs anytime soon,he would need a 5 year deal from Hibs to make what he could get for 1 more season at Celtic..for all these reasons IMO its never gonna happen...

Onion
29-03-2018, 05:38 PM
Getting Allan back on a perm should be priority 1. If we get enough from an English club for SJM we can then buy SA.

I suspect strongly that he will be used as leverage by Celtic to get super John though.

Celtic are desperate to get SJM on the cheap, using their media buddies to position Scott Allan, Scott Bain and now the idea of Scott Brown as potential swap deals and avoid paying real money for the John. They've got piles of cash and Hibs should hold out for the most real money they can get. Would love a top English club to come in for him and steal John from under Celtic's noses.

The Harp
29-03-2018, 05:47 PM
Think he regards Parkhead as home unfortunately.

Oh really? Has he ever said that?

Sauzee16
29-03-2018, 05:48 PM
Celtic are desperate to get SJM on the cheap, using their media buddies to position Scott Allan, Scott Bain and now the idea of Scott Brown as potential swap deals and avoid paying real money for the John. They've got piles of cash and Hibs should hold out for the most real money they can get. Would love a top English club to come in for him and steal John from under Celtic's noses.

Mcginn will end up at Celtic. It’s just a matter of what we get back.

Sauzee16
29-03-2018, 05:48 PM

Yes.

Betty Boop
29-03-2018, 05:59 PM

Well if he wants to finish his career there, I take it he feels at home. No ?

ancient hibee
29-03-2018, 07:16 PM
If Brown ever leaves Celtic it'll be because he can't cut it any more.Although that might mean at European level I guess it would also mean in league football.If that was the case why would we want him?

Famous Fiver
29-03-2018, 07:33 PM
In my opinion, he will not come back to Hibs.

He will play on for another season, the legs will go, and he will join their coaching staff.

Even at his present level I'd back our midfield of McGinn, McGeouch and Allan to give a Celtic midfield with Brown + any other two a run for their money.

chrisski33
29-03-2018, 07:36 PM
Brown wont be back at hibs as a player.

GreenNWhiteArmy
29-03-2018, 08:57 PM
Mcginn will go to the highest bidder. If that's Celtic then sure so be it.

I'd love to get Allan and Christie from them anyway so I'm sure a deal can be done. Either way we need a sell on clause

bigwheel
29-03-2018, 10:21 PM
By all accounts Rodgers doesn't fancy McGinn....so he will go down south...let's hope there is a bidding war....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dashing Bob S
29-03-2018, 10:54 PM
By all accounts Rodgers doesn't fancy McGinn....so he will go down south...let's hope there is a bidding war....

I think McGinn is ambitious to play at the highest level and will only go to Celtic if there is no suitable offer from down south or abroad. If Rodgers is even slightly underwhelmed (as seems the case) then I doubt he’ll waste time there. I don’t really buy this lazy ‘Brown succession’ theory.

Sauzee16
29-03-2018, 11:05 PM

That’s wrong.

Hibbyradge
29-03-2018, 11:06 PM

All accounts?

lord bunberry
29-03-2018, 11:47 PM
All accounts?
He’s been pretty luke warm whenever he’s been asked about McGinn. There could be a few reasons for that, the main one being that he’s always being compared to Brown, and he’s showing loyalty to his captain.

green day
30-03-2018, 07:01 AM
He’s been pretty luke warm whenever he’s been asked about McGinn. There could be a few reasons for that, the main one being that he’s always being compared to Brown, and he’s showing loyalty to his captain.

Browny, you mean?

bigwheel
30-03-2018, 07:11 AM
That’s wrong.

Well SJM doesn't think it is...but I guess you must have have better info than him......

SirDavidsNapper
30-03-2018, 07:11 AM

Not so sure. He was publicly singing his praises not long ago

The Spaceman
30-03-2018, 07:50 AM
Really hope if (when) McGinn moves on to pastures new (with my very best of wishes) that we absolutely push the boat out to get Dylan signed on a 3-year deal. I don't think we would be able to fully cover losing them both (even though we have said that about players leaving in the past!). They have been a joy to watch this season.

huggie1875
30-03-2018, 07:56 AM
is there really such a thing as a bidding war now all clubs just need to meet the clubs valuation

Sauzee16
30-03-2018, 07:57 AM
Well SJM doesn't think it is...but I guess you must have have better info than him......

If you have heard that personally from John Mcginn then fair enough. I know from a person very close to Gordon Scott that McGinn is wanted by Celtic and any public admission of that doesn’t need to be leaked especially with the ties our manager has with them.

eastcoasthibby
30-03-2018, 08:10 AM
A couple if things :-
At this time Rodgers won't be going.overboard with any praise for SJM as it that would have the strong potential to lift the bartering point for us if they go for him, they will play it as cool as possible.
I agree totally about pushing the boat out for Dylan but, I think he will sit it.out and see who else comes in for him, no matter what we offer him just now.
Its not just Dylan and SJM that we would struggle to replace its Scott Allan as well, in essence the heartbeat of our team just now ....if we can keep 1 of the 3 I reckon we will be doing well and hope that our recruitment team are on the ball.
Getting a european place will be key to who we attract as well and possibly might just help us keep 2 of the 3 ...but a big ???? On that.
Getting the max from any SJM deal is vital in setting us up for transfer activity ...and I have no doubt LD & RP are more than aware of that so I watch with eager interest 😵

bigwheel
30-03-2018, 08:16 AM
If you have heard that personally from John Mcginn then fair enough. I know from a person very close to Gordon Scott that McGinn is wanted by Celtic and any public admission of that doesn’t need to be leaked especially with the ties our manager has with them.

earlier this year, his view was that he had heard that Rodgers didn't fancy him ...things change though, so never say never..but I suspect he will go down south.

green day
30-03-2018, 08:22 AM
A couple if things :-
At this time Rodgers won't be going.overboard with any praise for SJM as it that would have the strong potential to lift the bartering point for us if they go for him, they will play it as cool as possible.
I agree totally about pushing the boat out for Dylan but, I think he will sit it.out and see who else comes in for him, no matter what we offer him just now.
Its not just Dylan and SJM that we would struggle to replace its Scott Allan as well, in essence the heartbeat of our team just now ....if we can keep 1 of the 3 I reckon we will be doing well and hope that our recruitment team are on the ball.
Getting a european place will be key to who we attract as well and possibly might just help us keep 2 of the 3 ...but a big ???? On that.
Getting the max from any SJM deal is vital in setting us up for transfer activity ...and I have no doubt LD & RP are more than aware of that so I watch with eager interest 😵

Aye, I tend to agree with this, I would prefer none of our players went to Scottish rivals too.

We look like we might have a fairly major rebuild of our midfield - although I have high hopes for Slivka (and he has never really been played in a central position) losing McGinn and McGeogh is huge.

We do need to remember that Bartley is also getting on a bit, and while he is big fit laddie, we might need to replace him in the next year or so too.

Interesting times.

Sauzee16
30-03-2018, 08:22 AM
earlier this year, his view was that he had heard that Rodgers didn't fancy him ...things change though, so never say never..but I suspect he will go down south.

👍

J-C
30-03-2018, 09:37 AM
I've spoken to John a couple of times and South is his preferred destination should he move, he sees that as a bigger challenge than the easy option of winning stuff at Celtic.

Sammy7nil
30-03-2018, 09:44 AM

One could be keeping the transfer fee down. If he continually praises him others get interested and the fee goes up.

Hibbyradge
30-03-2018, 09:51 AM
is there really such a thing as a bidding war now all clubs just need to meet the clubs valuation

If more than one club want a player then it's basically an auction, assuming the player is happy to go to both iron terms, location, prospects etc.

CraigHibee
30-03-2018, 10:05 AM

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/celtic/scott-brown-i-d-love-to-end-my-career-at-celtic-1-4446442

“I would love to stay here as long as possible and finish at this club. It’s the best club I have ever been at and the best club I ever will be at. The fanbase, the football base and training base are first class.

Hibbyradge
30-03-2018, 10:16 AM

“I would love to stay here as long as possible and finish at this club. It’s the best club I have ever been at and the best club I ever will be at. The fanbase, the football base and training base are first class.

You must remember that, in football, no-one says what they really mean. Ever.

Unless we like their words.

where'stheslope
30-03-2018, 11:17 AM
Mcginn will go to the highest bidder. If that's Celtic then sure so be it.

I'd love to get Allan and Christie from them anyway so I'm sure a deal can be done. Either way we need a sell on clause
Not sure that what you say is true. If McGinn does not fancy the highest bidder then he can refuse to go and leave for nothing at the end of his contract.
At this point he would have a far better choice of team as with no transfer fee and just wages more clubs would be liable to take a punt on him.
I don't think he would walk away for nothing, but I'm not sure a swap plus money will be what his agent is after?

allezsauzee
30-03-2018, 11:31 AM
Aside from Hibs interests, I think John would be better off going to England and signing for a Championship side with a realistic chance of getting promoted if he wants to develop to his full potential. He'll be able to establish himself as a quality player at that level and then go up with that club or get picked up by a Premiership club. Even if it didn't work out for him, he'd get a good pay day and the option to come back to Scotland will always be there.

J-C
30-03-2018, 11:37 AM
Aside from Hibs interests, I think John would be better off going to England and signing for a Championship side with a realistic chance of getting promoted if he wants to develop to his full potential. He'll be able to establish himself as a quality player at that level and then go up with that club or get picked up by a Premiership club. Even if it didn't work out for him, he'd get a good pay day and the option to come back to Scotland will always be there.

Just look at how Paterson has developed at Cardiff, I watched him against Man City in the cup and thought he played very well.

allezsauzee
30-03-2018, 11:42 AM
Just look at how Paterson has developed at Cardiff, I watched him against Man City in the cup and thought he played very well.

yep, much like Paterson I think John's athleticism makes him ideal for the English game and he's a better footballer than your average Championship midfielder

Lancs Harp
30-03-2018, 06:47 PM
yep, much like Paterson I think John's athleticism makes him ideal for the English game and he's a better footballer than your average Championship midfielder

Paterson has done extremely well this season at Cardiff, Warnock saw something in him to move him into midfield and he has done very well there. I would agree with the sentiment that for SJMs personal progression a move to a good club in the Championship would be his best option. He would earn a very good wedge but would also get good game time, something Im not sure he would get automatically in the EPL. There are some very good clubs in the Championship. I think he would progress more in England than say signing for Celtic but then having said that he would gain great European experience playing for Celtic. ****** it just sign a life contract with Hibs John. :wink:

Billy Whizz
30-03-2018, 07:04 PM
Unless he signs an extension which seems unlikely, Hibs will have to sell John in the summer
John on the other hand, needs to make sure his next destination is the right one. Looks like he might be a starter now for Scotland, but as Lennon says, he needs to be playing every week, not being a highly paid sub. John doesn’t seem the type to chase the biggest bucks, just a sensible career choice, I’m sure he’ll make!

It’s the way of the football world unfortunately, but we Hibs cant afford to miss out on an extensive transfer fee

Hibbyradge
30-03-2018, 08:04 PM
Down here, there's chat about Leeds being interested.

It looks like they're going to miss out on the play offs so could they afford him?

Billy Whizz
30-03-2018, 08:07 PM

It looks like they're going to miss out on the play offs so could they afford him?

Have they got £5m to spend on him?

Lancs Harp
30-03-2018, 08:09 PM

Thats an interesting one. Leeds have some good players, good young players and some decent foreign imports. Where they are perceived to be weak is bite and drive in midfield. SJM could certainly provide that. Yes Leeds could afford him and i would guess quadruple his wages.

Hibbyradge
30-03-2018, 08:15 PM
Have they got £5m to spend on him?

That's my question too.

Lancs Harp
30-03-2018, 08:24 PM
That's my question too.

Would have thought so if they want to move forward. They spent £5 million on Adam Forshaw from Middlesboro, Janssen from Torino cost 4 million. Its a different world fellas.

Hibbyradge
30-03-2018, 08:27 PM
Would have thought so if they want to move forward. They spent £5 million on Adam Forshaw from Middlesboro, Janssen from Torino cost 4 million. Its a different world fellas.

Aye. It sticks in your craw, but that's the way of it.

If they do sign him, I might have to go to watch them 😲

overdrive
30-03-2018, 08:40 PM
Where’s he been today? His Instagram story from about an hour ago is of him on an almost empty plane.

Lancs Harp
30-03-2018, 09:03 PM
Where’s he been today? His Instagram story from about an hour ago is of him on an almost empty plane.

He was in town earlier having a pint with Roy Race. We cant compete with Melchester Rovers.

Heisenberg
30-03-2018, 10:15 PM

Looks like he was in the north west of England going by the location on one of his tweets earlier today. Maybe away watching a game in the English leagues.

J-C
31-03-2018, 05:59 AM
Strange one I'd expect him to be at ER cheering on his team mates.

Craig_HFC
31-03-2018, 06:58 AM
Strange one I'd expect him to be at ER cheering on his team mates.

Who says he wasn’t flying home?

J-C
31-03-2018, 07:06 AM
Who says he wasn’t flying home?
There is that, maybe time off after international break, just someone mentioned taking in a game down south.

Craig_HFC
31-03-2018, 07:08 AM
There is that, maybe time off after international break, just someone mentioned taking in a game down south.

Most of the English league games (other than the Premier League) were played yesterday.

Billy Whizz
31-03-2018, 07:20 AM

Probably wanting to see what the standard is like

Gmack7
31-03-2018, 07:34 AM
pure guesswork from me but here goes
Fulham will sell Cairney for £15million plus and they'll sign McGinn as his replacement

Pagan Hibernia
31-03-2018, 09:07 AM
pure guesswork from me but here goes
Fulham will sell Cairney for £15million plus and they'll sign McGinn as his replacement

well if they want to give that £15 mill to us for John then I suppose we’ll have to have a think about it