PDA

View Full Version : Norrie Mccathie

Babyshamble
28-03-2018, 11:53 PM
Out with a pars mate.told me he met alex Edwards recently.said big Norrie was a hibs fan.so sad what happened to the big man.

monktonharp
29-03-2018, 12:09 AM
Out with a pars mate.told me he met alex Edwards recently.said big Norrie was a hibs fan.so sad what happened to the big man.I thought he was actually a Pars fan to be honest. It was a tragic situation when he died. him and his girlfriend, slipped away overnight due to carbon monoxide poisoning iirc. never heard of him being a Hibs man.:confused:

Babyshamble
29-03-2018, 12:19 AM
Never knew that either.john Watson the ex pars striker sits near me in the east.

Peevemor
29-03-2018, 05:25 AM
The East Port, his pub in Dunfermline, was my mate's local. If McCathie wasn't a Par at that time then he was a very good actor

StevieCowan
29-03-2018, 06:01 AM
Out with a pars mate.told me he met alex Edwards recently.said big Norrie was a hibs fan.so sad what happened to the big man.

I’m sure he was a Hibs fan from Westerhailes area.

MSK
29-03-2018, 07:10 AM
I’m sure he was a Hibs fan from Westerhailes area.I thought it was Leith area, my late Father in Law signed him for Edina hibs after seeing him having a kick about, dont ever recall him mentioning who Norrie supported though

The Hibee Harp
29-03-2018, 07:21 AM

Fairly certain he was a Hearts fan. I have a recollection of him saying so in the build up to Hibs games and the Hibs fans chanting "you Hearts B@$*@5d" at him.

StevieCowan
29-03-2018, 08:30 AM
I thought it was Leith area, my late Father in Law signed him for Edina hibs after seeing him having a kick about, dont ever recall him mentioning who Norrie supported though

I think he’s went to Forester High school

Steven79
29-03-2018, 08:31 AM
I thought he was actually a Pars fan to be honest. It was a tragic situation when he died. him and his girlfriend, slipped away overnight due to carbon monoxide poisoning iirc. never heard of him being a Hibs man.:confused:

It wasn't his girlfriend as she was pregnant at the time and gave birth two months later.

MSK
29-03-2018, 09:16 AM
I think he’s went to Forester High schoolYou could be right mate, my memory isnt too great nowadays 😁

Wilson
29-03-2018, 09:24 AM
It wasn't his girlfriend as she was pregnant at the time and gave birth two months later.

It was his girlfriend. He was separated from his pregnant wife at the time.

Steven79
29-03-2018, 09:32 AM
It was his girlfriend. He was separated from his pregnant wife at the time.

That wasn't his wife who was expecting it was the daughter of a club director.

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Norrie+never+had+the+chance+to+hug+his+wee+daughte r..but+I+know+he's...-a060570772

Obviously his and his "friends" death were tragic but he clearly wasn't the saint that many make him out to be.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
29-03-2018, 09:54 AM
One of my mates is actually related to him in some way.

GoalsMcGinley
29-03-2018, 10:01 AM
Was one of my old mans closest pals. Played together at boys club level. Broke my old mans heart when he passed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

highland hibbee
30-03-2018, 05:29 AM

and the Falkirk fans made the hissing sound of escaping gas the next time they played, dint know if that still goes on as they’ve graduated to throwing rubber eyes on the pitch. Sick bunch

overdrive
30-03-2018, 07:44 AM
and the Falkirk fans made the hissing sound of escaping gas the next time they played, dint know if that still goes on as they’ve graduated to throwing rubber eyes on the pitch. Sick bunch

Is this not the source of the rivalry between Dunfermline and Falkirk?

heretoday
30-03-2018, 09:49 AM
After 15 years with one club, I think we can say he was a Par!
And a great one.

JimBHibees
30-03-2018, 04:53 PM

Pretty sure the rivalry goes further back than that. Not altogether sure the background.

greenlex
30-03-2018, 04:58 PM
I thought it was Leith area, my late Father in Law signed him for Edina hibs after seeing him having a kick about, dont ever recall him mentioning who Norrie supported though
I “played” a season or so in that Edina Hibs team. Norrie and I used to populate the bench almost weekly no matter what we did on the park when we eventually got game time. A certain disgraced coach the main culprit. His parents never missed a match.

MSK
30-03-2018, 05:31 PM
I “played” a season or so in that Edina Hibs team. Norrie and I used to populate the bench almost weekly no matter what we did on the park when we eventually got game time. A certain disgraced coach the main culprit. His parents never missed a match.Wasnt it just his Mum ? Im sure I remember my Father in Law saying that when he invited Norrie for training he went to his Mums house to ask her, she said he didnt have boots & she couldnt afford to buy him any as she was a single Mum, my Father in Law said the club would give him a pair. Mind you his memory was prob gone by then & he might have been spraffing 😀

greenlex
30-03-2018, 06:55 PM
Wasnt it just his Mum ? Im sure I remember my Father in Law saying that when he invited Norrie for training he went to his Mums house to ask her, she said he didnt have boots & she couldnt afford to buy him any as she was a single Mum, my Father in Law said the club would give him a pair. Mind you his memory was prob gone by then & he might have been spraffing ��
Possibly. There was a chap who went with her. Maybe wasn’t his Dad of course. Just assumed. Never asked to be honest. Not the thing you did as a 14 year old.:greengrin

MSK
30-03-2018, 07:11 PM
Possibly. There was a chap who went with her. Maybe wasn’t his Dad of course. Just assumed. Never asked to be honest. Not the thing you did as a 14 year old.:greengrinTrue mate 😆 were your Coaches John (Jock) Morrison & Ronnie Macdonald ? I remember Jock telling me there was always a lot of infighing within the Coaching staff, he had enough and left for Craigmillar hearts, he took a few of the lads with him, that might have been a few years later though as Im sure they were a bit older than 14, unless they were given a few tips from the Saudi Arabian team 😆

greenlex
30-03-2018, 07:24 PM
True mate 😆 were your Coaches John (Jock) Morrison & Ronnie Macdonald ? I remember Jock telling me there was always a lot of infighing within the Coaching staff, he had enough and left for Craigmillar hearts, he took a few of the lads with him, that might have been a few years later though as Im sure they were a bit older than 14, unless they were given a few tips from the Saudi Arabian team 😆
Na. Gordon Neely was the main man. Jackie Myles auld man was there too. (Don’t remember him doing too much ciaching right enough) don’t really remember any others. It was a long time ago.:greengrin I remember Neely though. Fell out with him on a weekly basis. Nothing untoward but just a complete arse with me. Maybe because I always answered him back to be fair.

SON OF PADDY
30-03-2018, 07:50 PM

I've got a few mates that a Par's fans, they told me it's not rivalry it's hatred.

MSK
30-03-2018, 07:53 PM
Na. Gordon Neely was the main man. Jackie Myles auld man was there too. (Don’t remember him doing too much ciaching right enough) don’t really remember any others. It was a long time ago.:greengrin I remember Neely though. Fell out with him on a weekly basis. Nothing untoward but just a complete arse with me. Maybe because I always answered him back to be fair.Think it was 16s Jock coached but was always out scouting for talent of all ages, think Edina were quite successful at all age groups back in the day, I got as far as trials but never got a sniff of a contract 😀

greenlex
30-03-2018, 08:06 PM
Think it was 16s Jock coached but was always out scouting for talent of all ages, think Edina were quite successful at all age groups back in the day, I got as far as trials but never got a sniff of a contract 😀
We had a really successful season. I’ve a few gongs up the loft somewhere. Moved on to Easthouses and Bonnyrigg & Poltonhall (both nearer home) before injury scuppered it.

WoreTheGreen
30-03-2018, 08:13 PM
We had a really successful season. I’ve a few gongs up the loft somewhere. Moved on to Easthouses and Bonnyrigg & Poltonhall (both nearer home) before injury scuppered it.

Played for a boys club team where 9/10 of the team signed pro only downside we played in maroon

greenlex
30-03-2018, 08:21 PM
Played for a boys club team where 9/10 of the team signed pro only downside we played in maroon
That Edina side were the same. I think myself and Norrie were the only ones not on S forms as they were known at the time. Only Norrie went onto have any success in the top ranks.

WoreTheGreen
30-03-2018, 08:34 PM
That Edina side were the same. I think myself and Norrie were the only ones not on S forms as they were known at the time. Only Norrie went onto have any success in the top ranks.

Any names and what year might recognise some names

Lago
30-03-2018, 08:35 PM
He really was a good player. Sad day when he died.

greenlex
31-03-2018, 11:25 AM
Any names and what year might recognise some names

The ones I can remember are Tam Carr,Jackie Myles ,George Kane ,Alan Thomson,. Titch Niven? Kenny? McLaren, My memory is really poor but to be fair I was only there for one season. We were u15 so would probably be 1975

GoalsMcGinley
31-03-2018, 12:15 PM
Spoke to my dad this morning about big Norrie. 100% grew up supporting Hibs but played for the Pars that long he was pretty much a die hard par by the end of it but always had a place for Hibs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WoreTheGreen
31-03-2018, 07:34 PM
The ones I can remember are Tam Carr,Jackie Myles ,George Kane ,Alan Thomson,. Titch Niven? Kenny? McLaren, My memory is really poor but to be fair I was only there for one season. We were u15 so would probably be 1975

Is that jackie miles who had a great career at bonnyrig rose

greenlex
31-03-2018, 08:00 PM
Is that jackie miles who had a great career at bonnyrig rose
He very same. I’m sure he was still playing in his 40s.

WoreTheGreen
31-03-2018, 08:27 PM
He very same. I’m sure he was still playing in his 40s.

Sadly died 2 years ago

greenlex
31-03-2018, 08:28 PM
Sadly died 2 years ago
Bloody hell. I did not know that.

WoreTheGreen
31-03-2018, 08:29 PM
So sad yeah

at last 61
31-03-2018, 09:31 PM
Bloody hell never heard about his death went to school with him nice guy always the best ones that go first

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

JimBHibees
31-03-2018, 09:41 PM
Sadly died 2 years ago

Surely longer ago than that.

Died 1996

at last 61
31-03-2018, 09:43 PM
Back to norrie I went into a pub in dunfermline on the Monday after we won the skol cup I went into the pub through the side door before the pub was open I had my hibs top on and a hibs scarf on to rip the manager but was told he was in the bar with some of the pars players well this could not have worked out any better to say that they were not happy would be putting it mildly lucky norrie was there to calm them down he knew me he was some guy

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

greenlex
31-03-2018, 10:45 PM
Surely longer ago than that.

Died 1996
Sorry JBH we had kinda high jacked the thread were taking about Jackie Myles not Norrie.

JimBHibees
01-04-2018, 07:25 AM
Sorry JBH we had kinda high jacked the thread were taking about Jackie Myles not Norrie.

Oops :greengrin