PDA

View Full Version : Hibs & Hearts Shop,

EH54
28-03-2018, 12:09 PM
According to Ann Budge in her recent Q&A Hibs and Hearts are looking at the possibility of a Joint shop at Edinburgh Airport personally think its a good idea and could be a good market to get tourists to buy local teams tops when visiting the city.

I know when I go away abroad i normally try pick up a Shirt, Top or Scarf of a local team from the city.

AltheHibby
28-03-2018, 12:15 PM
As long as we get to supply the accountants I can't see a problem with this.

Maybe a new job for Petrie? 🤔

Ozyhibby
28-03-2018, 12:18 PM
I’m not sure it would make enough money. Celtic have one but I believe it’s a loss leader for them. Sevco closed theirs because it was not making cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fat freddy
28-03-2018, 12:21 PM
An opportunity to reprise the name that was to be given to the joint Hearts and Hibs team at the time of the Mercer takeover.

HERBS Sportswear

jgl07
28-03-2018, 12:23 PM
I’m not sure it would make enough money. Celtic have one but I believe it’s a loss leader for them. Sevco closed theirs because it was not making cash.

Rangers closed down because they hadn't enough cash.

bingo70
28-03-2018, 12:28 PM
The problem with this is that Ann Budge tells lies.

She probably just said they were ‘looking into it’ to shut someone up who was questioning it being a possibility.

Diclonius
It would be great to have a shop in the city centre, even if it was a joint Hearts/Hibs one. Anything to give tourists an alternative to the OF.

KWJ
I would imagine Hibs and Hearts are more novelty for your average airport dweller from afar and, dare i say, exotic for the tourists that come into Edinburgh while those that visit Glasgow already know enough about the OF not to buy a top. And if they didn't, a week in Glasgow should've confirmed their decision to dodge.

Hibee87
28-03-2018, 12:30 PM
It would be great to have a shop in the city centre, even if it was a joint Hearts/Hibs one. Anything to give tourists an alternative to the OF.

:agree: A shop on Princess street selling mixed merchandise would surley be the best placed thing for tourists to pick up anything.

beensaidbefore
28-03-2018, 12:33 PM
Been saying this for years. There are almost half a million extra folk here in August every year. Surely we could join forces with Herts and even Edinburgh rugby to shift a bit of merchandise.

No brainer imo.

AndyM_1875
28-03-2018, 12:35 PM
No problem with this and I'd much rather see the availability of Hibs or Hearts stuff at Edinburgh airport than what you currently can buy which is usually Sellik's latest New Balance sweatshop horror or the brands of the corporate whore clubs (Real, Barca, Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea etc)

Oscar T Grouch
28-03-2018, 12:39 PM
Been saying this for years. There are almost half a million extra folk here in August every year. Surely we could join forces with Herts and even Edinburgh rugby to shift a bit of merchandise.

No brainer imo.

This is the best idea, get the Ice Hockey involved too and make it an Edinburgh sports shop. There are possibilities to draw in other sports too, there are a few famous boxing clubs in the city. It could be paid for by proportion of square meterage used by each sport/club.

1van Sprou7e
28-03-2018, 12:50 PM
Will they be doing half and half scarves?

SJNB Hibby
28-03-2018, 12:52 PM
This is the best idea, get the Ice Hockey involved too and make it an Edinburgh sports shop. There are possibilities to draw in other sports too, there are a few famous boxing clubs in the city. It could be paid for by proportion of square meterage used by each sport/club.

And Edinburgh City

Hibee87
28-03-2018, 12:54 PM
Will they be doing half and half scarves?

I already have one. some wee hibs gadjy is on one side taking a leak, the flow reaches the other side of the scarf where a maroon hearts top lies. :aok:

Oscar T Grouch
28-03-2018, 12:55 PM
And Edinburgh City

Yeah and I would include Livingston in there too. Unfortunately I do not think this will happen through the clubs themselves, but a keen entrepreneur could put a pretty decent business plan together for a shop like this, especially in Princes St which is looking a lot worse since BHS and a few other stores have shut down.

Aim Here
28-03-2018, 01:37 PM
Coincidentally, I've only right now come off the phone from a Swiss work colleague in Zurich who was over here the last couple of days, and I spoke to him about Hibs during some post-work beers on Monday - he hadn't heard of them before. On the phone right now he mentioned that at the airport coming out of Edinburgh he looked to buy a Hibs top but couldn't - they were just selling ones for the likes of Celtic.

Clearly there's a market for this stuff, but whether it's big enough to pay Edinburgh Airport shop rent I'd be sceptical. We may have to word-of-mouth-advertise the local teams to the tourists ourselves for it to work!

SirDavidsNapper
28-03-2018, 01:46 PM
According to Ann Budge in her recent Q&A Hibs and Hearts are looking at the possibility of a Joint shop at Edinburgh Airport personally think its a good idea and could be a good market to get tourists to buy local teams tops when visiting the city.

I know when I go away abroad i normally try pick up a Shirt, Top or Scarf of a local team from the city.

As long as it didn't mean we were financially linked with them. Very dangerous road to go down with their history. Seems strange though. We could easily do it ourselves if we wanted to.

snooky
28-03-2018, 01:56 PM

There lies the problem. Airports I would think have a high rate for retail space rental hence most things on sale are way over the normal price. I never buy anything at any airport if I can help it.
The joint shop in Princess Street or adjoining streets (Hanover, etc) is a great idea. :aok:
Why not bring local egg chasers on board as well?

danhibees1875
28-03-2018, 02:28 PM
Airport space costs a fortune and wouldn't be worth it IMO. There is already a sports shop at the airport, I wonder if we could just have a deal with them where they sell Hibs shirts under a profit sharing agreement.

Pop up shop in the city centre in August is worth a try for a one off venture - it would also help advertise games to tourists during August.

snedzuk
28-03-2018, 02:30 PM

Wonder what they'll sell in a Joint shop...

Hibee87
28-03-2018, 02:34 PM
For a decent size shop on Princess street you are looking at around 300-500k PA in rent. I guess with the right business model it might be a goer but would you make much profit selling hibs, hearts, Edinburgh rugby, Edinburgh city strips? Its a nice thought, but who reaps the rewards? The club(s) would more than likely want a cut would they not? I really like the idea as I know a lot of people who travel like to get the local teams tops for kids etc I would just be a bit cautious if i were the person wanting to run said shop being the one who puts all this work into a business only to see little return/most of it going to the clubs. But ive never owned or ran a shop so what do I know ha.

calumhibee1
28-03-2018, 02:35 PM

:greengrin

Ozyhibby
28-03-2018, 03:37 PM
With shops closing everywhere I don’t think this is a goer at all. Retail is an online business now, especially for niche products. If we had a store on princess street with the high costs involved in that, sales would drop at the stadium store where we make more profit. Not a good idea.

Deansy
28-03-2018, 03:46 PM
As long as it didn't mean we were financially linked with them. Very dangerous road to go down with their history. Seems strange though. We could easily do it ourselves if we wanted to.

My thought exactly - more than likely Petrie's too !

CropleyWasGod
28-03-2018, 03:51 PM
A fundamental issue here is that we have contracted out our retail operation to a third party. It wouldn't surprise me if there is a clause in the agreement that guarantees them being the sole outlet for our merchandise, or at least having a say in the opening of another shop.

Oh, and.... FFS guys, Princess Street? :rolleyes:

Sauzee16
28-03-2018, 03:56 PM
I can't see this happening.

Future17
28-03-2018, 04:00 PM
They should call it Pegs 'N Dregs.

snooky
28-03-2018, 04:19 PM
A fundamental issue here is that we have contracted out our retail operation to a third party. It wouldn't surprise me if there is a clause in the agreement that guarantees them being the sole outlet for our merchandise, or at least having a say in the opening of another shop.

My bad - sorry CWG, that was a horrible typo. :embarrass Damn well I know it's Princes St.

IGRIGI
28-03-2018, 04:23 PM
I'm going to have to be the bitter one who says Queen Anne can shove that idea right up her arse.

Should be telling that club to get ****ed at every possible opportunity.

Ozyhibby
28-03-2018, 04:50 PM

Should there be an apostrophe? [emoji6]

Dashing Bob S
28-03-2018, 04:54 PM
Going to swim against the tide here and cut off the commercial nose to spite the commercial face, but not wanting a shop with those minging tramps.

stuart-farquhar
28-03-2018, 04:55 PM
Going to swim against the tide here and cut off the commercial nose to spite the commercial face, but not wanting a shop with those minging tramps.

I agree. Sharing with the Hobos!!

heidtheba
28-03-2018, 04:56 PM

No brainer imo.

I like that idea. Chuck in SRU, SFA, local teams and it would actually be a great wee 'Edinburgh/Scotland' place. Just Edinburgh and Scotland - nothing else please. How about having it as a ticket shop too? Would that work? The idea seems to make sense but what does everyone think?

Clarence
28-03-2018, 04:57 PM
Renting space in a city centre shop during the festival might be an answer. I think we rented space in Debenhams in Ocean Terminal during the refurbishment of the club shop at Easter Rd. I wouldn’t want to be in cahoots with that lot though.

Leith's finest
28-03-2018, 05:00 PM
Often wondered why there is not a bookie in the airport

3pm
28-03-2018, 05:12 PM

Yep. Agreed.

28-03-2018, 05:23 PM
Airport space costs a fortune and wouldn't be worth it IMO. There is already a sports shop at the airport, I wonder if we could just have a deal with them where they sell Hibs shirts under a profit sharing agreement.

Pop up shop in the city centre in August is worth a try for a one off venture - it would also help advertise games to tourists during August.

This would be the way to go, or just a pop up shop / stall at the airport.

Santa Cruz
28-03-2018, 06:05 PM
There lies the problem. Airports I would think have a high rate for retail space rental hence most things on sale are way over the normal price. I never buy anything at any airport if I can help it.
The joint shop in Princess Street or adjoining streets (Hanover, etc) is a great idea. :aok:
Why not bring local egg chasers on board as well?

I like the idea of a joint Edinburgh Sport's Shop and would suggest Ocean Terminal as a possible location. A few more units are about to become vacant in the next month and the vast majority of mid-week shoppers in the Centre are visitors from berthed Cruise ships and people going to Britannia. It is a busy place at the weekend. I suspect the letting rates would be less than the City Centre.

hibby6270
28-03-2018, 06:19 PM
Hearts, Rangers and Celtic have all had “away” shops in recent times.
Hearts in Almondvale Centre, Livingston. Celtic in Frederick Street. Rangers in Castle Street(?) - (somebody can correct me on that one).

Fact is that all 3 have closed over the years. I’d imagine the reason being ‘not profitable’ enough, so I’d seriously question if any city centre venture, joint or not, would be viable nowadays.

Unless of course someone has some insider information to suggest otherwise?

Santa Cruz
28-03-2018, 06:25 PM
Hearts, Rangers and Celtic have all had “away” shops in recent times.
Hearts in Almondvale Centre, Livingston. Celtic in Frederick Street. Rangers in Castle Street(?) - (somebody can correct me on that one).

Fact is that all 3 have closed over the years. I’d imagine the reason being ‘not profitable’ enough, so I’d seriously question if any city centre venture, joint or not, would be viable nowadays.

Unless of course someone has some insider information to suggest otherwise?

I think the Hearts shop was in St Jame's Centre. Think the main reasons for the failed shops would be Livingston don't have a massive fan-base. Celtic/Rangers shops would do better in Glasgow and would have had hefty City Centre rates to pay. Hearts...well, they were toiling to pay for most things around the time their shop was open.

cabbageandribs1875
28-03-2018, 06:27 PM
saw a new sellick shop in Almondvale(Livi) yesterday, 50 yards down from the last unit they were in

Diclonius
28-03-2018, 06:28 PM
I had forgotten all about the Hearts shop in St James. It didn't last very long (possibly because it was in the wrong end of the city).

hibby6270
28-03-2018, 06:31 PM
I think the Hearts shop was in St Jame's Centre. Think the main reasons for the failed shops would be Livingston don't have a massive fan-base. Celtic/Rangers shops would do better in Glasgow and would have had hefty City Centre rates to pay. Hearts...well, they were toiling to pay for most things around the time their shop was open.

Jings. Can’t recall the Jambo shop in St JC. Suppose I would have blanked it in any case. Only reason I remember the Livi one is because, horror of horrors, I actually bought something there once. Aye, definitely just the once. :greengrin:greengrin A £2 Xmas card for my nephew. It’s all he deserved LOL

theonlywayisup
28-03-2018, 06:45 PM
I'm hearing that the Hibs side will be of modular design and will be fully complete and ready for businesses by the end of June 2018.

Also that the Hertz 'boutique' will be styled on the famous cities that they've visited during their Champions League campaigns. It will be open for customers to purchase high class merchandise by Summer 2019 though won't be fully completed until March 2020. Seemingly the electronic shop tills have to be transported from Japan. There was a slight delay in processing the order. Don't despair though, the shop when opened will have a great view of Edinburgh Castle (binoculars are available for those who wish to see it, £10 for each block of ten minutes)

hibby6270
28-03-2018, 07:26 PM
I had forgotten all about the Hearts shop in St James. It didn't last very long (possibly because it was in the wrong end of the city).

Memory’s not what it used to be.:greengrin
Been racking my brains but remember it now.
It was the first shop on the right as you came in from the bus station.
Anyway. That’s enough Jambo related reminiscing!!

WhileTheChief..
28-03-2018, 07:29 PM
With shops closing everywhere I don’t think this is a goer at all. Retail is an online business now, especially for niche products. If we had a store on princess street with the high costs involved in that, sales would drop at the stadium store where we make more profit. Not a good idea.

Agreed. I just don’t think there’s a tourist market in Hibs scarves either!

If anyone from Turin wants one they will get it online in a few clicks. If they’re visiting Edinburgh and are interested enough to want to buy a scarf I’m sure they could find their way to ER.

Not something we should be thinking about at all.

greenlex
28-03-2018, 07:33 PM
Hips, ankles, knuckles and the like I would imagine.

Keith_M
28-03-2018, 07:33 PM
If Hibs keep a firm grip on the finances, then I think it's a good idea.

If it works, they could extend the idea to a shop the middle of town.

Clerie Green
28-03-2018, 07:47 PM
I wouldn’t share heroes with that manky mob ! :na na:

Clerie Green
28-03-2018, 07:48 PM
I wouldn’t share heroes with that manky mob ! :na na:

For heroes read shivers , the virus you get on your lips or ........ :thumbsup:

Bostonhibby
28-03-2018, 08:22 PM
As long as we get to supply the accountants I can't see a problem with this.

Maybe a new job for Petrie? [emoji848]She'll need Hibs on board to get credit card transactions at normal rates so it's a no from me ☺

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Bostonhibby
28-03-2018, 08:31 PM
If Hibs keep a firm grip on the finances, then I think it's a good idea.

If it works, they could extend the idea to a shop the middle of town.I'm old and cynical enough to say why now? Why led by the good doctor?

Hibs, the team on the up in Edinburgh, better recognised "brand" outside the city. More recent success. No embarrassing baggage.

Leave them to it. Let's see how they manage on merit.

If it's such a great idea why didn't Leanne think of it first?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

lapsedhibee
28-03-2018, 08:33 PM
It was the first shop on the right as you came in from the bus station.

Note(get it?)worthy for being the only outlet with a "Cash Only" sign on the door.

ancient hibee
28-03-2018, 09:02 PM
If it is a money spinner why has someone in the retail business not done it already?Answer there’s no profit in it.

we are hibs
28-03-2018, 09:04 PM
i'd rather we improved the club shop we have just now than throw money at this.

Green-Hibee-7
28-03-2018, 09:37 PM
I done a bit of consultancy work for a relatively new retail business who had looked into how likely it is to introduce locations into airports and the likes.

At no point did I look at Edinburgh Airport, but going by some of the airports of similar size, I just can’t see this being affordable for Hibs and Hearts even combined. This business completely pulled the plug on the idea and have obvious and significant resource to make this work more than I would have thought a Scottish football club would.

I get that the selling point is location. Edinburgh clubs looking to sell to visitors to the city. But during the festival and summer months we have hundreds of thousands coming to the city. Getting pop up stalls - with a bit of class and professional look would work better than an airport type shop IMO.

Billy Whizz
28-03-2018, 09:52 PM
I done a bit of consultancy work for a relatively new retail business who had looked into how likely it is to introduce locations into airports and the likes.

At no point did I look at Edinburgh Airport, but going by some of the airports of similar size, I just can’t see this being affordable for Hibs and Hearts even combined. This business completely pulled the plug on the idea and have obvious and significant resource to make this work more than I would have thought a Scottish football club would.

I get that the selling point is location. Edinburgh clubs looking to sell to visitors to the city. But during the festival and summer months we have hundreds of thousands coming to the city. Getting pop up stalls - with a bit of class and professional look would work better than an airport type shop IMO.

Kind of agree with that. Our shop will have peaks at strip launch time/match days, and around Xmas. Need to find revenue streams for other than that time
Am I still right in thinking, you don’t pay rates for a pop up stand, say in a shopping centre, if you’re there for less than 3 months

You should contact Hibs and offer your services

BigT-Hibeez
28-03-2018, 10:56 PM
Will there be a massive cow there?

hibby6270
28-03-2018, 11:03 PM
Will there be a massive cow there?

Nah. Doubt it. The good doctor’s days of serving behind the counter are long gone.:wink::wink:

lyonhibs
29-03-2018, 12:09 AM
Coincidentally, I've only right now come off the phone from a Swiss work colleague in Zurich who was over here the last couple of days, and I spoke to him about Hibs during some post-work beers on Monday - he hadn't heard of them before. On the phone right now he mentioned that at the airport coming out of Edinburgh he looked to buy a Hibs top but couldn't - they were just selling ones for the likes of Celtic.

Clearly there's a market for this stuff, but whether it's big enough to pay Edinburgh Airport shop rent I'd be sceptical. We may have to word-of-mouth-advertise the local teams to the tourists ourselves for it to work!

Ive tried my hardest. Could you perhaps elucidate on whom this mystery man is? I'm sure 1 more humping of Levein's mob and he'll be a convert!!

monktonharp
29-03-2018, 12:14 AM

I know when I go away abroad i normally try pick up a Shirt, Top or Scarf of a local team from the city.I think your mad. PM me if you want a number for the royal Ed.

Green-Hibee-7
29-03-2018, 12:34 AM
Kind of agree with that. Our shop will have peaks at strip launch time/match days, and around Xmas. Need to find revenue streams for other than that time
Am I still right in thinking, you don’t pay rates for a pop up stand, say in a shopping centre, if you’re there for less than 3 months

You should contact Hibs and offer your services

Exactly. As I said previously, I’ve not had to look at in depth figures like customer profile, average stay, average spend, locations etc for Edinburgh Airport. If it’s like I would imagine other UK airports of similar size, I think for the majority of the year it will be short-distance commuting mainly used by business types or locals travelling to close by cheaper holiday destinations. It’s never IMO going to be cost effective. For me it would probably only do reasonably well during the summer/festival, but for the majority of passengers during this time one would imagine they would visit the city centre for the majority of their stay - pop up stall(s) are the way forward, for specific time and customer targeting - especially doing so on a budget.

Rates for pop up stalls vary depending on the location and the owners/regulators. I would imagine, Edinburgh City Council would be able to assist for outdoor locations and hopefully offer Hibs and Hearts some help. Private owners like shopping centres you are right often allow trail periods or free short term stay - but a lot want to see projected customer volume before committing to that as the incentive for them is to increase visitor volume to their centres. Generally when ever been charged for such stalls even in London it’s been reasonably priced with the majority of clients happy to go ahead with it - again though maybe got a bit more cash than Hibs or Hearts.

Haha - if I had the time mate I certainly would love to get involved with something like that. Maybe in the future, but hopefully they have got that up and running by that point.

Austinho
29-03-2018, 12:38 AM
The logical thing to do would just be have a few Hibs and Hearts strips and scarves etc. in one of the tourist shops in the airport. A whole shop seems overkill.

The team that sells the most gets an extra point added to their league total.

One Day Soon
29-03-2018, 08:04 AM
A truly godawful idea in my view. Would never want to share a shop with those poppy thieving chancers.

I honestly believe that to the extent the two clubs have a profile beyond Edinburgh ours is probably stronger than theirs - so why would we give them equal billing and visibility? Just from a complete outsider point of view what is likely to be the most significant thing they would associate with either club that would draw either to their attention? I literally cannot think of a single thing Hearts have done that would make any impact outside of Scotland. I struggle to think of much that Hibs have done to make such an impact either - except for the journey to and achievement of 21 May 2016. That did receive quite a bit of coverage because of the whole 114 years story - and the footage of Sunshine on Leith at Hampden afterward has been viewed and very widely admired since. So why help them out? The accountancy and audit implications of their track record alone should be enough to make any sane person think twice.

Many other airports I have been in abroad will have a shop - or a concession within a shop or concourse - all about marketing that town or region and selling relevant tourist stuff.

If City of Edinburgh Council had its head on properly it would have something like this to puff Edinburgh to departing visitors. Maybe it already does. That is where - if anywhere - football strips etc should be sold. It could have the usual tourist tat and some stuff particular to Edinburgh/Lothian: Glenkinchie whisky, MacSween's haggis, Edinburgh Castle Rock (do they still make that?), products made locally from Harris Tweed, golf crap etc.

Ach, maybe its just me.

1van Sprou7e
29-03-2018, 03:44 PM
Do the club even make much money through shirt sales etc? Of course we have lots of other merch but i bet the shirt sponsor takes most of the money from their products

beensaidbefore
29-03-2018, 04:30 PM
i'd rather we improved the club shop we have just now than throw money at this.

Problem is,the shops not that handy for most people in Edinburgh. Back in the day you could buy Hibs stuff from most sports shops in Edinburgh. There has to be a balance between keeping all profits from a smaller number of sales in-house vs less profit of more sales. The second option would allow us to potentially reach a wider audience and should be worth consideration imo

Ozyhibby
29-03-2018, 04:54 PM
Problem is,the shops not that handy for most people in Edinburgh. Back in the day you could buy Hibs stuff from most sports shops in Edinburgh. There has to be a balance between keeping all profits from a smaller number of sales in-house vs less profit of more sales. The second option would allow us to potentially reach a wider audience and should be worth consideration imo

You can buy a Hibs strip using your mobile phone. Hibs merchandise is a niche product. Bricks and mortar retail is just too expensive for what we sell.

fiolex1
29-03-2018, 09:10 PM

Totally agree, Edinburgh Rugby, City of Edinburgh basketball Club, Edinburgh Wolves American football club. Spartan Football club, Edinburgh Diamond devils baseball club

jgl07
29-03-2018, 11:53 PM
Totally agree, Edinburgh Rugby, City of Edinburgh basketball Club, Edinburgh Wolves American football club. Spartan Football club, Edinburgh Diamond devils baseball club
You missed Edinburgh Monarchs Speedway who probably attract bigger crowds than the last four put together,

RyeSloan
30-03-2018, 12:17 AM

And the demand for their merchandise is what?

Few tourists come to Edinburgh for its sport.

lord bunberry
30-03-2018, 12:42 AM
I wouldn’t share the steam off my piss with that mob. They are a fading team living on past(cheated) glory’s, we are a modern club with a forward looking chief executive. We don’t need them, and we don’t need a shop at the airport. We need something in the city centre either selling tickets for games to tourists or advising them of the stadium tours that end in the club shop.

fiolex1
30-03-2018, 01:26 AM
And the demand for their merchandise is what?

Few tourists come to Edinburgh for its sport.

Correct, however I have been lucky to visit a good few countries on business and have always brought back my two sons football tops, baseball tops, Rugby tops. The purpose of my visit was business not sport.

Pete
30-03-2018, 01:57 AM
Think it’s a great idea. People want things like football shirts as a reminder of where they’ve been.

Anything that combats the instant association with Celtic or Rangers is good by me.

This is OUR city, and by that I mean Hibs AND Hearts. Not weegie teams associated with bigotry.

southsider
30-03-2018, 05:29 AM
No from me but since the new Lidl opened at Cameron Toll the place is mobbed. Hibs shop/ticket office there would do,I think, really well.
Lots of shop space available. Rent a short time deal, say 3-6 months and see how it goes.

Barney McGrew
30-03-2018, 05:53 AM
Airside at Edinburgh Airport has just gone through a massive renovation project, and the rents they would charge for a space there would make it very difficult to trade at a profit.

Above all else, the units are all full at the moment.

Jones28
30-03-2018, 06:25 AM
I like the idea of a joint Edinburgh Sport's Shop and would suggest Ocean Terminal as a possible location. A few more units are about to become vacant in the next month and the vast majority of mid-week shoppers in the Centre are visitors from berthed Cruise ships and people going to Britannia. It is a busy place at the weekend. I suspect the letting rates would be less than the City Centre.
There's a reason for more units becoming available isn't there?

Phil MaGlass
30-03-2018, 06:29 AM
I would love to see a giant Hibs poster at Edinburgh airport arrivals lounge, where were lifting the cup, just like all the large famous Grouse ads you see....

Brizo
30-03-2018, 06:49 AM
[QUOTE=One Day Soon;5355163]If City of Edinburgh Council had its head on properly it would have something like this to puff Edinburgh to departing visitors. Maybe it already does. That is where - if anywhere - football strips etc should be sold. It could have the usual tourist tat and some stuff particular to Edinburgh/Lothian: Glenkinchie whisky, MacSween's haggis, Edinburgh Castle Rock (do they still make that?), products made locally from Harris Tweed, golf crap etc.

This for me is the only feasible type of outlet. The fact that all Embra city centre fitba shops have closed says it all and I don't think a joint shop :greengrin would be any different.

I just don't think the hordes of tourists and business people coming to the city are that interested in us (and them) to make such a shop remotely feasible. And it would be interesting to see bow much Hibs merchandise was even sold from the type of outlet described above. Tourists coming to Embra from outside the UK will be more likely to be looking for a strip from one of the global English premiership clubs, a Man U or Man City, than a local team.

Anyone looking for Hibs merchandise will in all probability be a hardcore fitba fan who would be just as likely to make the trip down to ER from the city centre. In that regard the best use of the clubs merchandising budget would be take out advertising space at the airport, bus station and Waverley.

Ringothedog
30-03-2018, 08:59 AM
No from me but since the new Lidl opened at Cameron Toll the place is mobbed. Hibs shop/ticket office there would do,I think, really well.
Lots of shop space available. Rent a short time deal, say 3-6 months and see how it goes.

It’s Aldi. I agree a shop in Cameron Toll would do well

Monts
30-03-2018, 10:36 AM
The new st james centre could be a good location for this kind of thing. Its going to be a massive destination development. Will draw in massive crowds, especially in tourist season.

WhileTheChief..
30-03-2018, 10:45 AM
Who are these potential customers?

This is fantasy stuff. Tourists buying Hibs gear at Cameron Toll? C’mon, that’s just not going to happen!

Shops run by experienced retailers are closing all the time but somehow we’ll make it work?

Even if we got the premises for free we wouldn’t sell enough stuff to break even.

Tell Budge to bolt. They can lose more money themselves without dragging us into it.

PatHead
30-03-2018, 11:16 AM
Airside at Edinburgh Airport has just gone through a massive renovation project, and the rents they would charge for a space there would make it very difficult to trade at a profit.

Above all else, the units are all full at the moment.

Front page of the evening news is running the story about Edinburgh airport.

Pretty Boy
30-03-2018, 11:29 AM
We'd be better served setting up 2 or 3 booths in the city centre during the summer and festival time trying to get a few tourists to games, particularly to fill the sparsely populated stands during LC games. I'm sure there will be a few bored sons and daughters who could nag their parents into taking them to a football match.

Stick a few scarves, badges and strips in with the ticket sellers and see how it goes. Less of a risk than renting a commercial property and being tied into a contract and if a few folk buy tickets they'll encounter the clubstore at the stadium.

ancient hibee
30-03-2018, 02:35 PM
I wonder why there is lots of shop space available when the place is mobbed.

green day
30-03-2018, 02:53 PM
It’s Aldi. I agree a shop in Cameron Toll would do well

They should put a pop up shop outside the Greggs in Cameron Toll, its always mobbed - mind you, they would need to ensure an ample supply of XXXL sizes :greengrin:greengrin

Billy Whizz
30-03-2018, 03:50 PM
As a few have already said. We’ve out resourced our retail operations, so I presume it’s up them to look at Retail options to sell strips

NAE NOOKIE
30-03-2018, 03:53 PM
We'd be better served setting up 2 or 3 booths in the city centre during the summer and festival time trying to get a few tourists to games, particularly to fill the sparsely populated stands during LC games. I'm sure there will be a few bored sons and daughters who could nag their parents into taking them to a football match.

Stick a few scarves, badges and strips in with the ticket sellers and see how it goes. Less of a risk than renting a commercial property and being tied into a contract and if a few folk buy tickets they'll encounter the clubstore at the stadium.

Liverpool city centre has a few stalls which sell Liverpool and Everton stuff ... mostly Liverpool it must be said. I'm pretty sure they have nothing to do with the two clubs, but they seem to do ok. As you say, it seems like a pretty risk free idea for the club to give one a go during the festival to see what happens. Even though Edinburgh doesn't have football tourism the way Liverpool does we are a huge tourist destination so the market is there, especially in Princes street.

As has been stated Hibs have a far higher profile outside of Edinburgh than the Yams do so chances are folk might actually want our stuff :greengrin

PS ..... Said it a hundred times, half the tourists who visit Edinburgh go up Calton hill and have a great view of Easter Road ... I cant for the life of me figure why Hibs don't have a big 'Hibernian Football Club' sign on top of the west stand so they know what they are looking at.

RyeSloan
30-03-2018, 06:01 PM
Liverpool city centre has a few stalls which sell Liverpool and Everton stuff ... mostly Liverpool it must be said. I'm pretty sure they have nothing to do with the two clubs, but they seem to do ok. As you say, it seems like a pretty risk free idea for the club to give one a go during the festival to see what happens. Even though Edinburgh doesn't have football tourism the way Liverpool does we are a huge tourist destination so the market is there, especially in Princes street.

As has been stated Hibs have a far higher profile outside of Edinburgh than the Yams do so chances are folk might actually want our stuff :greengrin

PS ..... Said it a hundred times, half the tourists who visit Edinburgh go up Calton hill and have a great view of Easter Road ... I cant for the life of me figure why Hibs don't have a big 'Hibernian Football Club' sign on top of the west stand so they know what they are looking at.

Assuming we could somehow make a sign big enough for said revelation what purpose would it serve informing these tourists of the name of the club whose stadium they can see?

snedzuk
30-03-2018, 07:41 PM
Hips, ankles, knuckles and the like I would imagine.

Bag of 24 knuckles so hearts fans can get a full set.

Viva_Palmeiras
30-03-2018, 08:00 PM
Widening the supporter base sounds good but what about the age old practicality or buying a ticket for a Cat A game for someone who’s just stepped off a plane from Madrid or Munich?

Maybe some sort of football passport or even passport details would suffice (subject to data protection)

Just selling shirts? what woudl the projections be? What are our current sales (and that’s to folks that know and love their team couldn’t expect a more that a fraction of this. So what’s the deal - raising profile internationally ? To what aim? What is the cost
/ benefit? Rangers and Celtic shut their shops in Embra. It’s got to make financial sense

30-03-2018, 08:03 PM
Can we sell pegs

Steve-O
30-03-2018, 08:08 PM
Couldn’t we just piggy back on an existing shop at the airport?