PDA

View Full Version : End of the weirdest ever football appointment

Hibbyradge
28-03-2018, 09:23 AM
Literally no-one in York knows why Jackie Macnamara went upstairs at York City after his failed tenure as manager.

Since he arrived, the club has gone from bad to worse and is now languishing in the 6th tier of English football, the non-league National League North.

They're hanging on to a playoff spot in 5th place at present, but the 3 teams behind them have games in hand so it'll go to the wire.

Today, McNamara was ousted from the board along with the club's chairman.

Neither will be missed.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/dundee-united/jackie-mcnamara-ousted-from-york-city-in-board-shake-up-1-4713845

Hiber-nation
28-03-2018, 09:26 AM
Literally no-one in York knows why Jackie Macnamara went upstairs at York City after his failed tenure as manager.

Since he arrived, the club has gone from bad to worse and is now languishing in the 6th tier of English football, the non-league National League North.

They're hanging on to a playoff spot in 5th place at present, but the 3 teams behind them have games in hand so it'll go to the wire.

Neither will be missed.

Jason_McGill_stands_down_as_Yor

I was wondering about this. Link doesnae work though.

Hibbyradge
28-03-2018, 09:29 AM
I was wondering about this. Link doesnae work though.

New link above.

Hiber-nation
28-03-2018, 09:35 AM
New link above.

Cheers. How did he manage to stay for so long?

Hibbyradge
28-03-2018, 09:43 AM
Cheers. How did he manage to stay for so long?

Your guess is as good as mine.

The theories, mostly involving dodginess, are endless, but no-one knows.

JimBHibees
28-03-2018, 10:02 AM
Havent read the article but maybe they had to pay him a large termination payment if he was sacked which they werent willing or couldnt afford to pay. Certainly seems like his career has taken a strange turn. Thought he was harshly treated at United.

Sauzee16
28-03-2018, 10:22 AM
Your guess is as good as mine.

The theories, mostly involving dodginess, are endless, but no-one knows.

He was paying money into the club and not taking a wage.

davhibby
28-03-2018, 10:43 AM
Havent read the article but maybe they had to pay him a large termination payment if he was sacked which they werent willing or couldnt afford to pay. Certainly seems like his career has taken a strange turn. Thought he was harshly treated at United.

He did well to last as long as he did at united. Had the second best team in the league the season they had Gauld, Robertson, GMS and Armstrong and didn't even manage europe or win a cup. He then managed to make himself money out of selling them all whilst setting them on the road to relegation. Add in the bizzare time he's had at York and any club would be mental to go near him

Sauzee16
28-03-2018, 10:47 AM
He did well to last as long as he did at united. Had the second best team in the league the season they had Gauld, Robertson, GMS and Armstrong and didn't even manage europe or win a cup. He then managed to make himself money out of selling them all whilst setting them on the road to relegation. Add in the bizzare time he's had at York and any club would be mental to go near him

He developed the second best side in the country and his best players where sold in the January window. Extreme revisionism. Do you think he wanted to sell them all? Of course not.

overdrive
28-03-2018, 10:51 AM
He developed the second best side in the country and his best players where sold in the January window. Extreme revisionism. Do you think he wanted to sell them all? Of course not.

He quite possibly did, given the alleged financial incentive to do so.

Was it not rumoured that these financial shenanigans came about as Dundee Utd paid their managers less in the Premiership than Partick Thistle did in the Championship and this was intended to close the gap between what he was on at Utd and what he was on at Thistle? If true, that's mental.

Sauzee16
28-03-2018, 10:55 AM
He quite possibly did, given the alleged financial incentive to do so.

Was it not rumoured that these financial shenanigans came about as Dundee Utd paid their managers less in the Premiership than Partick Thistle did in the Championship and this was intended to close the gap between what he was on at Utd and what he was on at Thistle? If true, that's mental.

It was in the terms of his contract. Do you think the money made was enough to sacrifice his managerial career? It's a decent incentive with some compensation to keep him happy if players are sold I suppose. I think McNamara made enough money in his career to not be encouraged to sell two of his best players to Celtic before meeting them in a cup final - that decision was made by Thompson.

McNamara gets an awful lot of unfair stick. Imo. People also forget the amazing job he done at Partick.

Here's a quotation on Armstrong at Celtic:
“You’d have to speak to Stephen Thompson at Dundee United to find out exactly what Celtic paid for him and Gary — but I think it was less than £2m.

“That was a major bargain.
“I couldn’t give you a value now for Stuart, but it would be a LOT more than what he cost Celtic.

poolman
28-03-2018, 11:24 AM
When I read the thread title I thought it might be about Cathro :greengrin

IWasThere2016
28-03-2018, 11:31 AM

Armstrong was in tears and did not want to leave United.

SirDavidsNapper
28-03-2018, 11:33 AM
I find it all bizzare. He was probably the countries most promising young manager while at Thistle and i thought United make a real coup by getting him. Crazy how it's all ended up.

KWJ
28-03-2018, 12:15 PM
He's far too monotone to be a gaffer. Put you to sleep.

Steven79
28-03-2018, 12:59 PM
I find it all bizzare. He was probably the countries most promising young manager while at Thistle and i thought United make a real coup by getting him. Crazy how it's all ended up.

Promising managers always end up on the scrap heap after joining Dundee United.

Look at Ian McCall and Ray McKinnon to name a few....

jgl07
28-03-2018, 01:05 PM
Remember Ivan Golac?

I recall Hibs giving them a doing in the first match of the season at Easter Road after they had finally won the Scottish Cup. I was sat in the enclosure just behind the away dugout and the look on his face when the fourth and fifth Hibs goals went in was a joy.

Austinho
29-03-2018, 12:50 AM

Neither will be missed.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/dundee-united/jackie-mcnamara-ousted-from-york-city-in-board-shake-up-1-4713845A weirder appointment than Graham Rix?

calumhibee1
29-03-2018, 06:59 AM
A weirder appointment than Graham Rix?

That wasn’t that weird, he fitted in down that way.