PDA

View Full Version : Dundee Utd.

Pages : [1] 2

Thecat23
27-03-2018, 09:03 PM
What a mess they are in just now. Sitting 4th and look a shambles on the park. Many saying they will go into admin if they don’t come up this season as they went big on wages bringing on Fyvie, Keatings and McDonald.

I never used to mind them but something in me now wants them to suffer. Not go bust but to linger in the championship for a long time.

green day
27-03-2018, 09:07 PM
What a mess they are in just now. Sitting 4th and look a shambles on the park. Many saying they will go into admin if they don’t come up this season as they went big on wages bringing on Fyvie, Keatings and McDonald.

I never used to mind them but something in me now wants them to suffer. Not go bust but to linger in the championship for a long time.

Could have Dundee derbies in the championship next year - and the year after.......

Thecat23
27-03-2018, 09:08 PM
Could have Dundee derbies in the championship next year - and the year after.......

Yeah they too could be on bother if they don’t start to pick up the points.

Libby Hibby
27-03-2018, 09:14 PM
I’ve disliked them since the Levein / Houston days...chuck in that Skacel debacle and they can GTF in my book

Billy Whizz
27-03-2018, 09:14 PM

A director has just bought Thompson’s shares, so would surprised if admin was a possibility
Csaba is a total balloon, terrible choice, and is Thompson’s legacy, but they have lost 2 of the 3, ex Hibs players you mentioned, to long term injuries
McDonald on the other hand, looks to be a wage thief this season

IGRIGI
27-03-2018, 09:15 PM
I'd like Dundee to beat them in a play off, it would be quite humiliating for UTD if they were relegated at Dens and then killed off there a few years later.

Billy Whizz
27-03-2018, 09:17 PM
I'd like Dundee to beat them in a play off, it would be quite humiliating for UTD if they were relegated at Dens and then killed off there a few years later.

McCann is a bigger bellend than Laszlo

bingo70
27-03-2018, 09:17 PM
I’ve no ill feeling towards Dundee Utd, they’ve brought through some good young players and sold them on, they’ve invested well from the lower leagues in scotland, they just didn’t work out how to reinvest that money.

Imo they’ve got a decent set of fans and it’d be better for our premier league if they were to sort themselves out and get promoted again.

The Green Goblin
27-03-2018, 09:18 PM
Skacel aside, personally I never minded utd and always enjoyed going to Tannadice. Hibs vs Utd was a game I always looked forward to. They look in big trouble though.

Billy Whizz
27-03-2018, 09:20 PM
I’ve no ill feeling towards Dundee Utd, they’ve brought through some good young players and sold them on, they’ve invested well from the lower leagues in scotland, they just didn’t work out how to reinvest that money.

Imo they’ve got a decent set of fans and it’d be better for our premier league if they were to sort themselves out and get promoted again.

As I said in a thread a few days ago, used to bring a decent support to ER
But looks like they will have another season in the championship, and as we know, can take a bit of time to sort yourselves out

Austinho
27-03-2018, 09:23 PM
I don’t mind Dundee United at all, and hope they make a resurgence soon. I’d much rather play them 4 times a season than Hamilton or Ross County.

Joe6-2
27-03-2018, 09:25 PM
McCann is a bigger bellend than Laszlo

👍

Sammy7nil
27-03-2018, 09:29 PM
As I said in a thread a few days ago, used to bring a decent support to ER
But looks like they will have another season in the championship, and as we know, can take a bit of time to sort yourselves out

This has happened once when Heggerty, Narey and Sturrock where still playing ever since then it has been a poor support. Nothing against them but don't care one way or the other what happens to them.

Billy Whizz
27-03-2018, 09:30 PM
This has happened once when Heggerty, Narey and Sturrock where still playing ever since then it has been a poor support. Nothing against them but don't care one way or the other what happens to them.

Bollocks

Sammy7nil
27-03-2018, 09:33 PM
Bollocks

Good well thought out response :greengrin. I will be amazed if they have brought a 1000 fans to ER in the last 25 years. prove me wrong

oneone73
27-03-2018, 09:34 PM
Good well thought out response :greengrin. I will be amazed if they have brought a 1000 fans to ER in the last 25 years. prove me wrong

They took over 2,000 last season. January game.

Thecat23
27-03-2018, 09:34 PM

I’m sure they brought a good support when we played them in the league cup at ER. Also the game we beat them 3-0 another midweek game.

Edit..19,000 at the 3-0 game. The three Home stands holds 17,000 if I’m correct so that means they brought 2,000 down for that game.

Sir David Gray
27-03-2018, 09:36 PM
I would quite like to see them spend at least 3 years in the Championship like we did so I'll be quite happy to see them stay down for another year.

I don't mind what happens after that though. I didn't like them when they had Levein as manager or when they had Skacel but I couldn't care either way about them now.

Sammy7nil
27-03-2018, 09:37 PM
They took over 2,000 last season. January game.

They did I forgot about that one essentially a league decider if Hibs one.

Billy Whizz
27-03-2018, 09:42 PM

Ok Sammy, after Hearts, Rangers and Celtic who sell out the south, the next are Aberdeen and Utd, who consistently have the largest away supports at Easter Rd.

Fergos
27-03-2018, 09:42 PM
They did I forgot about that one essentially a league decider if Hibs one.

And they brought a decent sizeable support the last time we played them, midweek in the league cup at ER as TC pointed oot.

GGTTH.

AZhibee
27-03-2018, 09:58 PM
I don’t mind Dundee United at all, and hope they make a resurgence soon. I’d much rather play them 4 times a season than Hamilton or Ross County.

Indeed

we are hibs
27-03-2018, 10:02 PM
one of the many clubs who laughed and mocked us when we went down. **** them. hope they rot.

27-03-2018, 10:03 PM
Steven Thompson has single handily put that club on its knees.
Shambles of a club now. Stadiums run down and in need of replacement.
Selling off its Academy Pitch to the pension fund of their new Chairman!

Eddie Thompson would be ashamed of what his son has done.

stoneyburn hibs
27-03-2018, 10:04 PM
They've made what should be a huge amount of money in transfer fees over the last 5/6 years, where's that went ?
Did the deal they had with Jackie Mac for a cut in transfer fees have any bearing ?

Just seems odd that they are in such a financial mess.

Thecat23
27-03-2018, 10:05 PM
They've made what should be a huge amount of money in transfer fees over the last 5/6 years, where's that went ?
Did the deal they had with Jackie Mac for a cut in transfer fees have any bearing ?

Just seems odd that they are in such a financial mess.

I forgot about that deal they all had from the transfer deals. That was just really dodgy if you ask me.

Sammy7nil
27-03-2018, 10:08 PM
Ok Sammy, after Hearts, Rangers and Celtic who sell out the south, the next are Aberdeen and Utd, who consistently have the largest away supports at Easter Rd.

Fighting with Falkirk for being the fifth or sixth best away support in Scotland is like two bald men fighting over a comb :greengrin

Who's next after that Killie Hamilton ICT it is laughable. I admit I was wrong they have broke the 1000 barrier but I can assure you they have also fallen way below 500 on occasion.

stoneyburn hibs
27-03-2018, 10:09 PM
I forgot about that deal they all had from the transfer deals. That was just really dodgy if you ask me.

Definitely didn't seem right but it's common knowledge so somehow must have been above board.

Thecat23
27-03-2018, 10:10 PM
Definitely didn't seem right but it's common knowledge so somehow must have been above board.

Yeah they must have done it all through the books but really strange way to run the club. As you said before a lot of money seems to have just vanished.

RyeSloan
27-03-2018, 10:27 PM
Yeah they must have done it all through the books but really strange way to run the club. As you said before a lot of money seems to have just vanished.

Not sure it’s ‘vanished’ but as we know too well money can buy you very little when you are not being run properly...much more likely that they’ve largely just wasted it on constant churn.

Thecat23
27-03-2018, 10:36 PM
Not sure it’s ‘vanished’ but as we know too well money can buy you very little when you are not being run properly...much more likely that they’ve largely just wasted it on constant churn.

The Utd fans must be raging at the way the club is being run. We had some dark days but we’ve bounced back and are prob as strong now as we have been in many years on and off the pitch.

I’ve a feeling Utd May struggle to bounce back though like we have.

TelaStella
28-03-2018, 12:16 AM
one of the many clubs who laughed and mocked us when we went down. **** them. hope they rot.

This. Ever since the start of our decline and in some ways their resurgence they really seemed to have it in for us, always going on about us going down and rotting with Dundee, funny how time in football can change so quickly eh. A good team on their day and I can think of many a good game they've given us over the years but a team that has always seemed to attracted ********s, Levein, Houston, Wilkie, Daly and Skacel just to name a few. personally I can't say I miss them or Tannadice -shambolic stadium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Austinho
28-03-2018, 12:45 AM
one of the many clubs who laughed and mocked us when we went down. **** them. hope they rot.And rightly so - everyone enjoys mocking a big club whose’s fallen from grace. We were garbage and deserved to be laughed at. We did it with Rangers and Hearts because of the animosity between the clubs, but we’d all have a laugh if Aberdeen for example were relegated to the Championship too.

United for me have formed an important part of Scottish football history, and are a good club who’d enhance our league. I hope they survive and come back from this.

Northernhibee
28-03-2018, 05:45 AM
And rightly so - everyone enjoys mocking a big club whose’s fallen from grace. We were garbage and deserved to be laughed at. We did it with Rangers and Hearts because of the animosity between the clubs, but we’d all have a laugh if Aberdeen for example were relegated to the Championship too.

United for me have formed an important part of Scottish football history, and are a good club who’d enhance our league. I hope they survive and come back from this.

Yep. Very much this.

SirDavidsNapper
28-03-2018, 05:47 AM
Work in Dundee and there are very few United fans. Fast majority are Dundee. Always found it surprising

Brizo
28-03-2018, 06:27 AM
Work in Dundee and there are very few United fans. Fast majority are Dundee. Always found it surprising

Always got impression that Utd had more fans in the leafier suburbs of Dundee than in the city itself. And of course Dundee has large OF element, particularly Celtic.

I've never minded Utd at all, back in the day got far more hassle at Dens than Tannadice. I cant get too precious about what their fans might have said when we got relegated. Overall found their support a decent bunch although like all supports ,including our own, they will have their fair share of phannies.

Would rather have them in top league than likes of Hamilton or Ross County. Having said that I think they will be stuck in Championship next season and with their problems being at boardroom level as well as on the pitch no guarantee they wont stay down for longer.

Austinho
28-03-2018, 06:32 AM
Having said that I think they will be stuck in Championship next season and with their problems being at boardroom level as well as on the pitch no guarantee they wont stay down for longer.It’s certainly looking worrying for them.

Mind you, everyone said the same when we lost against Falkirk and were facing a 3rd year in the Championship. Now look at us!

Smartie
28-03-2018, 07:07 AM
The margins are fine in football.

Where were we 15 months ago? Lennon under pressure, United had beaten us at Tannadice to go top of the Championship.

We weren't great last season, and we were helped massively by United's capitulation.

Now this season we've kicked on nicely.

Boardroom stability is key for me. Thomson is hot headed and shouldn't have sacked McKinnon. It might not have been perfect for them but they were 2nd in the league when he left. When you get into the cycle of blaming / sacking manager after manager it is a slippery slope. Managers need their chairmen to stand up to fan pressure and back them through shaky spells.

And fans with a sense of entitlement ( of whom United have a few ) need to get a grip of themselves and SUPPORT their club at times.

calumhibee1
28-03-2018, 07:11 AM
Other teams are probably just running out of games to knock them out the playoff spots, however they don’t have a hope in hell of coming up this year.

JimBHibees
28-03-2018, 07:12 AM
The margins are fine in football.

Where were we 15 months ago? Lennon under pressure, United had beaten us at Tannadice to go top of the Championship.

We weren't great last season, and we were helped massively by United's capitulation.

Now this season we've kicked on nicely.

Boardroom stability is key for me. Thomson is hot headed and shouldn't have sacked McKinnon. It might not have been perfect for them but they were 2nd in the league when he left. When you get into the cycle of blaming / sacking manager after manager it is a slippery slope. Managers need their chairmen to stand up to fan pressure and back them through shaky spells.

And fans with a sense of entitlement ( of whom United have a few ) need to get a grip of themselves and SUPPORT their club at times.

Us hammering them at ER start of January put them back in their box.

Smartie
28-03-2018, 07:15 AM
Us hammering them at ER start of January put them back in their box.

Looking back, it was a very significant result in terms of where the 2 teams have gone from there.

CallumLaidlaw
28-03-2018, 07:28 AM
The Utd fans must be raging at the way the club is being run. We had some dark days but we’ve bounced back and are prob as strong now as we have been in many years on and off the pitch.

I’ve a feeling Utd May struggle to bounce back though like we have.

Unless they win a Scottish cup [emoji6]

Joking aside, it’s fair to say a huge part of our current crowds is down to the Scottish cup win. The number of folk that bought their first season ticket in years purely because “Hibs had done their bit” was amazing. Reinvigorated the whole support. If we hadn’t beat Rangers, it would be interesting to see how the next 22 months would have looked regarding who took over, how we performed in the championship and where we’d be now.

Paisley Hibby
28-03-2018, 07:45 AM

Totally agree.

Hillsidehibby
28-03-2018, 08:00 AM
The way the fans and players celebrated at ER when they beat us and relegated us changed it for me.

**** them.

flash
28-03-2018, 08:02 AM
For Steven Thompson read Rod Petrie.
For Laszlo read Terry Butcher.
People have short memories, that car crash of a club was us not so long ago.
I like United, they have decent fans and they stood up to the old Rangers a damn sight more than we did as a club.

Treadstone
28-03-2018, 08:05 AM
Caveman Robbie a cert to be their next manager.

Borderhibbie76
28-03-2018, 08:21 AM

Imo they’ve got a decent set of fans and it’d be better for our premier league if they were to sort themselves out and get promoted again.Agree with this ...I don't get the hatred towards Utd on here at all...be better for our game if they were in top flight rather than an Accies or Ross Co...sadly not looking likely any time soon tho - they r in a sorry state

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Northernhibee
28-03-2018, 08:22 AM
I like United, they have decent fans and they stood up to the old Rangers a damn sight more than we did as a club.

I have a few United fans as friends and they're decent and they feel the same way about their club that we did post relegation.

Borderhibbie76
28-03-2018, 08:22 AM
This has happened once when Heggerty, Narey and Sturrock where still playing ever since then it has been a poor support. Nothing against them but don't care one way or the other what happens to them.That's rubbish...they brought decent crowds last season in championship and 2 recent league cup ties spring to mind also

Billy Whizz
28-03-2018, 08:25 AM
That's rubbish...they brought decent crowds last season in championship and 2 recent league cup ties spring to mind also

Think he’s already said he got it wrong, and has apologised

Dashing Bob S
28-03-2018, 08:36 AM
Take away Jim McLean and his legacy and they are Dundee's Edinburgh City, a status they are rapidly returning to. I think Hibs, Hearts, A'deen and Huns will be a battling pack behind Smeltic, but distancing from the rest for a while to come.

Shrekko
28-03-2018, 08:41 AM
The way the fans and players celebrated at ER when they beat us and relegated us changed it for me.

**** them.
They’d just saved their own skins. What did you expect?

Del Boy
28-03-2018, 08:42 AM

**** them.

They ensured their own safety that day, if hibs had won it was more than likely that Utd would have went down. Of course they were going to celebrate!

Hibbyradge
28-03-2018, 08:52 AM

"I hate you cos you laughed at me once, ya big rotter." :hilarious

In fact, the club didn't laugh and mock us.

Some of their fans will have, just like some fans of every other Scottish football club, which is what rivals do.

I'm not going to lose any sleep if DU stay in the championship for a few seasons, but I don't want to see any football club going to the wall, never mind one with such a proud history.

oneone73
28-03-2018, 08:53 AM
Agree with this ...I don't get the hatred towards Utd on here at all...be better for our game if they were in top flight rather than an Accies or Ross Co...sadly not looking likely any time soon tho - they r in a sorry state

This.

Hibbyradge
28-03-2018, 08:57 AM
Fighting with Falkirk for being the fifth or sixth best away support in Scotland is like two bald men fighting over a comb :greengrin

Who's next after that Killie Hamilton ICT it is laughable. I admit I was wrong they have broke the 1000 barrier but I can assure you they have also fallen way below 500 on occasion.

This is so Yammish.

We're a big club, we've got a big away support.

Yous are only wee. Ha ha ha.

Borderhibbie76
28-03-2018, 09:00 AM
Think he’s already said he got it wrong, and has apologisedApologies I hadn't read the whole thread...thanks for keeping me right...I'm duly scolded

we are hibs
28-03-2018, 09:09 AM
"I hate you cos you laughed at me once, ya big rotter." :hilarious

In fact, the club didn't laugh and mock us.

Some of their fans will have, just like some fans of every other Scottish football club, which is what rivals do.

I'm not going to lose any sleep if DU stay in the championship for a few seasons, but I don't want to see any football club going to the wall, never mind one with such a proud history.

Yes and we are laughing back. Don't think they were overly sympathetic when we were about to spend a third year in the championship so its bizarre some on here are towards them. Hibs first, **** everyone else.

James70
28-03-2018, 09:10 AM
My late Grandparents lived in Dundee and my Grandfather would take me to see whichever of the two teams were playing at home when I was visiting. I have fond memories of Dundee winning the league in '62 and actually listened to the match commentary when they thrashed Rangers 5-1 at Ibrox. In later years I watched Utd play Aberdeen when Utd were just establishing themselves as a force and they beat Aberdeen 4-1 if I remember correctly. They had a fantastic team in those days and managed to keep the nucleus of the side together. Great results in Europe and cheated out of a European Cup Final place, who knows what could have happened had they got through. Jim McLean was not a popular manager but he certainly knew how to get the best out of his players pre Bosman. They will never have the same kind of success again but they are a sad loss to the SPL.

Hiber-nation
28-03-2018, 09:31 AM
If it's a choice between Dundee Utd, Morton and Livi then give me the Arabs every day. Livi are a crappy wee club with no fans and Morton's ground is a joke. How people can still despise Utd solely because of Houston and Skacel I have no idea.

JDHibs
28-03-2018, 09:34 AM
Didnt have a problem with Utd until they beat us in December 2016 up at Tannadice, they celebrated like they had already won the title!

Really was pathetic.

Was very pleasing when he hammered them 3-0 at Easter Road last January, put them back in their place and ended their hopes of winning the league.

Still, id rather play them than Hamilton for instance.

Dashing Bob S
28-03-2018, 09:43 AM
If it's a choice between Dundee Utd, Morton and Livi then give me the Arabs every day. Livi are a crappy wee club with no fans and Morton's ground is a joke. How people can still despise Utd solely because of Houston and Skacel I have no idea.

While there's a will, there's a way...

Johnny_Leith
28-03-2018, 09:51 AM
Hope Dundee Utd and Dunfermline come up soon, both good clubs with decent fan bases that could add to the top league.

Smartie
28-03-2018, 10:03 AM
Didnt have a problem with Utd until they beat us in December 2016 up at Tannadice, they celebrated like they had already won the title!

Really was pathetic.

Was very pleasing when he hammered them 3-0 at Easter Road last January, put them back in their place and ended their hopes of winning the league.

Still, id rather play them than Hamilton for instance.

I used to live in Dundee and probably know as many United fans as I do fans of any club.

I've never been on the end of as much gloating as I was at that time.

I remember chuckling a bit, because I'm normally quite reserved with my gloating - you do it when the final ball has been kicked and there is minimal opportunity for it to bite you on the arse. Even then, you need to go back and defend your position the next season and run the risk of looking a twat.

It was the most premature celebration I've ever experienced, and there is a bit of me deep down that is enjoying their current problems.

That said, they are a good club, with good fans, their ground is a good day/ night out and I miss being able to go to Dundee and spend time with good mates who support that club. I really enjoyed the occasion of the Friday night games up there last year.

I hope they have a couple of years more horrible pain before coming back up and living very much in Hibs' shadow for a few decades.

Albanian Hibs
28-03-2018, 10:29 AM
Good. Hope they rot.

Hiber-nation
28-03-2018, 10:37 AM
Good. Hope they rot.

Aye we'd be in a fine state if every club we didn't like rotted :greengrin

brog
28-03-2018, 10:43 AM
The funny thing is that despite their current woes DU will almost certainly still make the play offs. Then they're only a couple of decent performances, or an Alan Muir appointment, away from coming back up again. I find it hard to dislike a team that started life as Dundee Hibs & their celebrations against us in 12/16 were understandable as we were odds on favourites to win the league. They're certainly capable of bringing a bigger support to Er than 4 or 5 of the current top 12 so from a purely commercial consideration it would be good to see them ( & Pars ) back.

NAE NOOKIE
28-03-2018, 10:47 AM
The whole point of getting back to the premier league was being able to watch Hibs compete with the big boys and for us to experience more ( for want of a better expression ) glamour games. Hibs v Dundee Utd is, Hibs v Hamilton, Ross County or Killie are not.

I don't get this revelling over Utd's current predicament and believe me I was as pissed off at them as anybody the day they relegated us, but we live in a country with very few 'big clubs' and in the context of Scottish football Dundee Utd are one. The last thing our game needs is for the likes of Utd to end up in the doldrums for a decade or more. I want to see Hibs doing well because we have risen above our direct competitors like Dundee Utd, not because we are the best of a bad bunch.

If Hibs hadn't made the spectacular comeback we have whose to say where we would be now .... it would have been extremely detrimental to Scottish football if we had gone the way we might have and Utd's demise would be no less damaging to our game overall, especially if their place in the top league is being taken by the likes of Livingston who have nothing whatsoever to bring to the table apart from a tidy stadium nobody goes to.

WestStandWillie
28-03-2018, 11:05 AM
Absolutely nae sympathy.

I mind seeing someone with a half and half scarf when we played them last season. Obviously some fans with connections tae them.

No me though, long may they rot.

Sauzee16
28-03-2018, 11:11 AM
They have over spent the past 15 years and now paying the price.

Waxy
28-03-2018, 11:49 AM
Dundee utd sent us down 20 year ago. Not bothered if they never come back up.

IWasThere2016
28-03-2018, 12:00 PM
Give me Dundee over The Arabs any day.. but I'd have the Arabs in the SPL over some of the current lot

Hibiza
28-03-2018, 12:08 PM
Remember . Dundee Hibernian , celebrated their Centenary , with a presentation at ER .:flag:

SirDavidsNapper
28-03-2018, 03:03 PM
I have a strong dislike for United but a Dundee derby would only be good for the top league.

Agree with another poster that Livingston wouldn't offer much and Cappelow is a hole.

Personally i'd like the following swaps..

Dundee United for Hamilton
Dunfermline for Ross County

St Mirren/Partick and St Johnstone are all much the same to me. St Mirren's away support at ER last season was terrific albeit it was a game of huge significance to them.

Hopefully Killie keep improving (not too much) as they have a decent fanbase when things are going well.

I'm all for promoting our game and we need the bigger clubs with larger supports in our top league.

Ardenttwo
28-03-2018, 03:06 PM

Spoke to a die hard Utd fan this morning who was at the game in Inverness last night and he says they were absolutely woeful. Not one of the team could pass a ball 6 yards.

RyeSloan
28-03-2018, 05:49 PM

Maybe on the Football front to some degree but Hibs spent many a year and £££ on developing the clubs infrastructure...United have done none of that so I’m not sure the comparison is totally accurate.

SquashedFrogg
28-03-2018, 06:59 PM
Hope Dundee Utd and Dunfermline come up soon, both good clubs with decent fan bases that could add to the top league.

I'm with this. Could point fingers at every club and their fans.

Clubs who would enhance the league through decent support. Also closer to home. Swap them with Hamilton and Ross County please.

ekhibee
28-03-2018, 07:10 PM
Maybe in more recent times they've brought a decent support, but for years they held the record for the lowest crowds in Scotland's top league. And Dundee have always had a far better support than them. Always.

heretoday
28-03-2018, 07:17 PM
I hope United get back. I always liked the way they played football.

It won't be long before the calls for amalgamation in Dundee get going again. The city is on the up generally but I'm not sure they can support two top sides.

bigwheel
28-03-2018, 07:20 PM
Maybe in more recent times they've brought a decent support, but for years they held the record for the lowest crowds in Scotland's top league. And Dundee have always had a far better support than them. Always.

Is that Dundee United you refer to?? if so, you've just made that up haven't you...There have always been clubs in the top league with less average attendance than United.. here is the averages..

http://www.fitbastats.com/dundeeutd/club_records_league_attendance.php

Skol
28-03-2018, 07:27 PM
I’ve disliked them since the Levein / Houston days...chuck in that Skacel debacle and they can GTF in my book

Ive disliked them a lot longer than that. Funnily enough since Maurice backpass used to play for them and they wasted time galore despite having good players.

Oh and the Matty Jack game. Never has another team deserved the outcome of poor refereeing. Brilliant

Lago
28-03-2018, 07:30 PM
The whole point of getting back to the premier league was being able to watch Hibs compete with the big boys and for us to experience more ( for want of a better expression ) glamour games. Hibs v Dundee Utd is, Hibs v Hamilton, Ross County or Killie are not.

I don't get this revelling over Utd's current predicament and believe me I was as pissed off at them as anybody the day they relegated us, but we live in a country with very few 'big clubs' and in the context of Scottish football Dundee Utd are one. The last thing our game needs is for the likes of Utd to end up in the doldrums for a decade or more. I want to see Hibs doing well because we have risen above our direct competitors like Dundee Utd, not because we are the best of a bad bunch.

If Hibs hadn't made the spectacular comeback we have whose to say where we would be now .... it would have been extremely detrimental to Scottish football if we had gone the way we might have and Utd's demise would be no less damaging to our game overall, especially if their place in the top league is being taken by the likes of Livingston who have nothing whatsoever to bring to the table apart from a tidy stadium nobody goes to.
My thoughts exactly:top marks

jgl07
28-03-2018, 08:19 PM
Ive disliked them a lot longer than that. Funnily enough since Maurice backpass used to play for them and they wasted time galore despite having good players.

Oh and the Matty Jack game. Never has another team deserved the outcome of poor refereeing. Brilliant
What poor refereeing?

Their player feigned an injury to waste time, and one of their players put the ball out of play thinking it would be given back.

They had been wasting time for all of the second half. Matty Jack didn't give the ball back and Hibs went on and scored a winning goal.

If a player puts the ball out of play there is no obligation for the ball to be given back particularly if it was down to 'injury' to their own player. The referee would have stopped the match if he thought it was necessary and was quite correct to let Hibs keep the ball.

It actually did United a lot of good as their sense of moral outrage galvanised the team and they pulled clear of the relegation zone.

ekhibee
28-03-2018, 08:58 PM
Is that Dundee United you refer to?? if so, you've just made that up haven't you...There have always been clubs in the top league with less average attendance than United.. here is the averages..

Thanks for going to the trouble, I definitely stand corrected! I should say though that even though you were right to pull me up for it, I find some of the figures in that just a bit unbelieveable, and hard to accept, but your general point is probably right. I always remember going to games against them at Tannadice in the nineties and early 2000's and the only stand they ever seemed to fill was the one behind the goals at the home end. Shows how things have changed.

WhileTheChief..
28-03-2018, 09:03 PM
I don’t get the hate for them.

To me they’re just a run of the mill team like Motherwell, Killie or St J.

Pretty harmless and inoffensive, they just muddle along.

Gotta have some teams to play against that we don’t hate!

CraigHibee
28-03-2018, 09:23 PM
they are definitely in the doo doo, i feel they thought there were dead certs for promotion this year hence why they signed fyvie etc, they had to sell of their training ground recently to get some cash together.

not looking bright for them for the foreseeable and i think it'll be more than another year down there for united

Babyshamble
28-03-2018, 09:40 PM
Arabs have the reputation of being a big team.with an average home attendance of 4-5000,& a pish away crowd,would rather the pars came up.

SteveHFC
28-03-2018, 09:47 PM
Would love to see a Dundee Derby play-off final.

TelaStella
29-03-2018, 01:11 AM
Worrying the amount of eyebrows being raised on here at a few of us all of a sudden not caring about Dundee United, what's the big issue? I don't deny united are one of the bigger clubs in the country and yeah they probably would fit the premier league better than the likes of Ross County and Hamilton but it's one less rival for us to worry about.

poolman
29-03-2018, 01:38 AM
Matty Jack game

Nuff said :agree:

Hermit Crab
29-03-2018, 05:06 AM
They are in deep do do. Don't be surprised if they are fighting relegation or a relegation play of next season. They will have to bin the high earners to keep the wage bill down.

calumhibee1
29-03-2018, 06:12 AM
Don’t care either way. They’re just another run of the mill Scottish club like Motherwell, Falkirk etc. If they stay down then so be it, if they come up any time soon then well done. If they do make it back up though they’ll be fighting relegation for a good while.

BILLYHIBS
29-03-2018, 06:44 AM
Dig a hole and bury them.

Will never forgive them for relegating us twenty years ago although we have only ourselves (Jim Duffy) to blame.

I remember my eldest laddie was greeting and my Mrs who is a Jambo blamed me saying Why do you support such a s@#£% football team?

No really maybe if they spend at least three years in the Championship they will come back stronger and wiser like the Hibees did!

The Spaceman
29-03-2018, 06:55 AM
I liked Utd relative to other Scottish clubs...as other have said, they have brought through some cracking young talent over the past 10 years, have a decent following and have given us a couple of good games. Give me them over the likes of Hamilton any day of the week.

SirDavidsNapper
29-03-2018, 07:00 AM

I remember the away supports Dundee were taking when they had the mad guy Bonetti in charge. Pashed all over United's. Guess it's all about how entertained the fans are. Agree that Uniteds away support is usually poor. The game last season (possible league decider) and a league cup game while in different divisions (novelty factor for United ) the exceptions.

Hiber-nation
29-03-2018, 07:12 AM
Dig a hole and bury them.

Will never forgive them for relegating us twenty years ago although we have only ourselves (Jim Duffy) to blame.

I remember my eldest laddie was greeting and my Mrs who is a Jambo blamed me saying Why do you support such a s@#£% football team?

No really maybe if they spend at least three years in the Championship they will come back stronger and wiser like the Hibees did!

I think some other clubs might have played their part as well!!

BILLYHIBS
29-03-2018, 07:30 AM
I admit to that in my thread. I remember we got off to a flier that season then Jim Duffy signed all his buddies from Dundee who were good Championship players making us a good Championship club.

We only had ourselves to blame.

Thank god for Alex McLeish, Sauzee and Latapy.

GGTTH

Ringothedog
29-03-2018, 07:38 AM

Those figures don't mean a thing, their averages on that site are for between 1 & 10 games, certainly not a full season

Smartie
29-03-2018, 08:08 AM

Us especially.

We relegated ourselves.

SirDavidsNapper
29-03-2018, 08:16 AM
Us especially.

We relegated ourselves.

Don't be daft. It wasn't our fault :wink:

Elephant Stone
29-03-2018, 08:16 AM
The bitterness and snobbery on this thread is unreal. Hope they're back in the Premiership soon.

The Green Goblin
29-03-2018, 08:27 AM
Don’t care either way. They’re just another run of the mill Scottish club like Motherwell, Falkirk etc. If they stay down then so be it, if they come up any time soon then well done. If they do make it back up though they’ll be fighting relegation for a good while.

I would have said that their European exploits in the 80s means they are not just a "run of the mill Scottish club". Different these days though for sure.

Tinribs
29-03-2018, 08:31 AM
The only clubs I genuinely dislike are our maroon neighbours and the currant buns, most of the rest I am fairly neutral on. DU I quite like, due to having pals who support them. I hope they sort themselves out as they often gave us good games.

sadtom
29-03-2018, 08:49 AM
My best mate for 30 years is an Arab. I know dozens of Utd fans because of him. ALL of them are ok with Hibs, Of course there is a bit banter occasionally but nowt sinister and every single one of them would support us over hertz.
My pal and 2 of his family were at the Hands Off Hibs Rally with me.
I remember i shared a flat with him when they won the Scottish cup for the 1st time. I actually had a ticket for the game but did the decent thing and gave it up to a proper Utd fan who hadnt got one.
My mate was 1st to text on 21/5/16, and at least half the first 20 congrats messages i got were from Arabs, who seemed genuinely delighted. I guess they could empathize.
I remember my pal putting a Lochee tic fan in his place when the glory hunter told him that the dundee clubs should merge cause "Dundee was too small to support 2 clubs". My mate responded by saying "f*** off you t*t! It already supports 4!"

They very much have that problem in common with us.

Much more importantly...D Utd were one of the few clubs to properly stand up to der hun in recent years. So much so that der hun will be celebrating any problems whey have with extra relish. They will see it as justification for their bulls**t about being essential to scottish fitba.
Anything that makes those pondlife happy is not a cause for any form of joy for me.

Mon Dundee Hibernian!
Tweet tweet!

oneone73
29-03-2018, 08:52 AM
My best mate for 30 years is an Arab. I know dozens of Utd fans because of him. ALL of them are ok with Hibs, Of course there is a bit banter occasionally but nowt sinister and every single one of them would support us over hertz.
I remember i shared a flat with him when they won the Scottish cup for the 1st time. I actually had a ticket for the game but did the decent thing and gave it up to a proper Utd fan who hadnt got one.
My mate was 1st to text on 21/5/16, and at least half the first 20 congrats messages i got were from Arabs, who seemed genuinely delighted. I guess they could empathize.
I remember my pal putting a Lochee tic fan in his place when the glory hunter told him that the dundee clubs should merge cause "Dundee was too small to support 2 clubs". My mate responded by saying "f*** off you t*t! It already supports 4!"

Much more importantly...D Utd were one of the few clubs to properly stand up to der hun in recent years. So much so that der hun will be celebrating any problems whey have with extra relish. They will see it as justification for their bulls**t about being essential to scottish fitba.
Anything that makes those pondlife happy is not a cause for any form of joy for me.

Mon Dundee Hibernian!
Tweet tweet!

Great post.

Spike Mandela
29-03-2018, 09:07 AM
Whilst united still have the chance to bounce straight back this year via the playoffs it is looking less likely game by game. One of the few Scottish clubs to be in a European final in my lifetime, it must be worrying for their fans to see the apparent decline of this club with such potential.

A sobering thought for all of us on just how easy it would be to slip down the league if relegation isn’t managed properly.

Our potentially risky decision to keep Premier pricing, the continued backing of the fans, the good fortune to have Hearts and Rangers(twice) in the league with us plus the MASSIVE good fortune to win the Scottish cup all helped to save us from suffering a fate like United’s now imo.

SirDavidsNapper
29-03-2018, 09:08 AM
3 times i shed a tear (in a bad way) supporting Hibs...

Fosters winning goal for them when i was a nipper.
Dundee United's two late goals to send us down.
Livi cup final.

For that reason i'm out. They can stay down this season along with Livingston

BILLYHIBS
29-03-2018, 09:29 AM
3 times i shed a tear (in a bad way) supporting Hibs...

Fosters winning goal for them when i was a nipper.
Dundee United's two late goals to send us down.
Livi cup final.

For that reason i'm out. They can stay down this season along with
Livingston
Aaaarrrgghhh!

I thought I had managed to erase these from my memory banks!
Beaumont the goalie or a sniper from the stand shudda taken Foster out
Still remember the satisfied smile on Kjell Olifssons pus at the end of the game
40000 expectant HIBS fans witness teenage kicks generation defeated by underdogs

SirDavidsNapper
29-03-2018, 10:55 AM
Aaaarrrgghhh!

I thought I had managed to erase these from my memory banks!
Beaumont the goalie or a sniper from the stand shudda taken Foster out
Still remember the satisfied smile on Kjell Olifssons pus at the end of the game
40000 expectant HIBS fans witness teenage kicks generation defeated by underdogs

All three were hideous. The Livi cup final in particular. Missed 91 and 01 so it was awful. Like you say 40k of us there. Grim.

Since90+2
29-03-2018, 11:33 AM
Don't mind them to be honest. Decent size support in Scottish terms and a good away day. I'd prefer them in the top league over Ross county and Hamilton.

NAE NOOKIE
29-03-2018, 11:41 AM
Worrying the amount of eyebrows being raised on here at a few of us all of a sudden not caring about Dundee United, what's the big issue? I don't deny united are one of the bigger clubs in the country and yeah they probably would fit the premier league better than the likes of Ross County and Hamilton but it's one less rival for us to worry about.

Which goes back to my post .... Where's the fun in that? As I said, I want to see Hibs being a big hitter in a strong league where we have done well against other strong teams with good crowds. If we are doing well because clubs who would traditionally have been a big challenge to us are languishing in the championship or have been brought low by off field problems how is it an achievement? All we would be is one of the less crap teams in a crap league and in the long run everybody would suffer, including Hibs.

Overall Scottish football is on a bit of an upward curve with better crowds than past years and a league where nobody is guaranteed a win on a Saturday, in recent weeks not even Celtic. I want that trend to continue and clubs like Dundee Utd have a vital part to play.

Barman Stanton
29-03-2018, 11:48 AM
Some strange bitterness on this thread, usually the kind of thing you see from Hearts or Rangers.

Never really minded United. May be because anyone I know supporting them being good guys, them originally being Dundee Hibs or the fact I watched them in the UEFA run. One things for sure, I wouldn't call any Scottish club that actually reached a Euro final 'run of the mill', especially in Scotland. I hope they sort their problems out and get promotion.

Daydreamer
29-03-2018, 11:58 AM
Don't mind them to be honest. Decent size support in Scottish terms and a good away day. I'd prefer them in the top league over Ross county and Hamilton.

Exactly, me personally would want Hamilton and Kilmarnock down. Football should be played on grass.

jgl07
29-03-2018, 01:50 PM
I remember the away supports Dundee were taking when they had the mad guy Bonetti in charge. Pashed all over United's. Guess it's all about how entertained the fans are. Agree that Uniteds away support is usually poor. The game last season (possible league decider) and a league cup game while in different divisions (novelty factor for United ) the exceptions.

It was Giovanni Di Stefano who had invested in Dundee that brought in the likes of Claudio Carniggia and Fabrizio Ravanelli to everyones bemusement. He is now serving a 14 year sentence for fraud.

Hiber-nation
29-03-2018, 02:12 PM
Some strange bitterness on this thread, usually the kind of thing you see from Hearts or Rangers.

Never really minded United. May be because anyone I know supporting them being good guys, them originally being Dundee Hibs or the fact I watched them in the UEFA run. One things for sure, I wouldn't call any Scottish club that actually reached a Euro final 'run of the mill', especially in Scotland. I hope they sort their problems out and get promotion.

I don't get it either. Would all these folk who hope United rot prefer Hamilton, Ross Co or Livi in the Premier League? Really?

Mon the Arabs and the Pars I say. Even the Bairns :greengrin

Jones28
29-03-2018, 02:14 PM
Would love to see a Dundee Derby play-off final.

That would be a hum-dinger

Jones28
29-03-2018, 02:16 PM

Mon Dundee Hibernian!
Tweet tweet!

Difficult to argue with that

Dunbar Hibee
29-03-2018, 02:31 PM
Good luck to them, I say. The way they stood up to the Huns was extremely admirable. Hated Houston, Levein and in particular (more than anyone in the world) Sk*cel but in general they are a fairly big club that has been run in to the ground. Tannadice always a decent away day as well.

heretoday
29-03-2018, 03:06 PM
I don't get it either. Would all these folk who hope United rot prefer Hamilton, Ross Co or Livi in the Premier League? Really?

Mon the Arabs and the Pars I say. Even the Bairns :greengrin

Hear Hear! Old school clubs.

Sauzee16
29-03-2018, 03:16 PM
Bin Laszlo and get Luggy in charge until the end of the season they might still have a chance. Why did they bin McKinnon?

poolman
29-03-2018, 06:43 PM
I said in my previous post about the Matty Jack game

Hated them after that but looking back it was more of that odious manager they had in charge

I have to say that the premier league would be a better place with Dundee Utd, Dunfermline, Falkirk and St Morden
IMO would be a much better league, that's no disrespect to Ross County, Hamilton etc who obviously have earned the right to be there

Eyrie
29-03-2018, 07:39 PM
I don't get the bitterness towards Dundee United over what happened in 1998. They had to beat us to stay up themselves, and it was our own failings that got us relegated. I drank so much afterwards that I was blacking out but have always held Duffy responsible for going down and not any of the other teams in that league.

PatHead
29-03-2018, 07:44 PM
My brothers are all Arabs and one of them in particular is very involved with the club. I hope they do recover and come up to the top division.

My worst memory was the semi final when they beat us with two late goals.

Sauzee16
29-03-2018, 08:46 PM
My brothers are all Arabs and one of them in particular is very involved with the club. I hope they do recover and come up to the top division.

Raging that day. Nobody would pass to Ivan.

BILLYHIBS
29-03-2018, 09:04 PM
Loved it when we beat them 3-0 at Easter Road in the Championship especially after their reaction to a narrow win at Tannadice.
Did Lennys team talk for him.

Del Boy
29-03-2018, 10:16 PM

Mon Dundee Hibernian!
Tweet tweet!

Great post. Don’t get the hate for United at all. Good fans who have always got on well with hibs fans and were first to send me congrats when we finally won the cup.

lord bunberry
29-03-2018, 10:39 PM
Great post. Don’t get the hate for United at all. Good fans who have always got on well with hibs fans and were first to send me congrats when we finally won the cup.
I don’t get it either. I don’t have a strong opinion of them either way.

Pete
30-03-2018, 12:55 AM
One thing I don’t like about United is their arrogance...lording it over Dundee as if they are genetically superior to them. Reminds me of our overspending neighbours before they got put in their place.

So **** them, I hope they rattle about in the doldrums for a while. Deep down, I’d hand pick them to be in our top flight if I was to choose who would give more to our game but if they’re that big they’ll get up eventually.

**** Dunfermline too. People have some nerve calling out Rangers and Hearts while considering them some cuddly wee paragon of virtue.

FilipinoHibs
30-03-2018, 04:00 AM
One thing I don’t like about United is their arrogance...lording it over Dundee as if they are genetically superior to them. Reminds me of our overspending neighbours before they got put in their place.

So **** them, I hope they rattle about in the doldrums for a while. Deep down, I’d hand pick them to be in our top flight if I was to choose who would give more to our game but if they’re that big they’ll get up eventually.

**** Dunfermline too. People have some nerve calling out Rangers and Hearts while considering them some cuddly wee paragon of virtue.

Hated the Jim Mclean years when he used to lord over us as well.

SirDavidsNapper
30-03-2018, 06:59 AM

To be fair Dundee have been in administration twice so thay are the worst culprits lol. Agree with you though, i'd hand pick them if i had to but they can do it the hard way.

BILLYHIBS
30-03-2018, 07:40 AM
Don’t buy into this Dundee United love in guff. This is a HIBS fans chat website for HIBS fans. What did Eddie Turnbull say to the players at half time in the greatest game in history Keep going boys don’t take the foot off the gas they would do the same to you.

SirDavidsNapper
30-03-2018, 08:13 AM
Don’t buy into this Dundee United love in guff. This is a HIBS fans chat website for HIBS fans. What did Eddie Turnbull say to the players at half time in the greatest game in history Keep going boys don’t take the foot off the gas they would do the same to you.

Correct. Saw another poster say they want United up as they've given us a few good games or something along those lines. I don't want anyone giving us a good game. Want us to steamroller everyone. Wont happen obviously but i'd rather a 5-0 easy win than a very even 1-0 or draw.

Ram United. They laughed at us in 98, they laughed at us in the Scottish Cup semi in 2005 and they were giving it big licks last year at Tannadice thinking they'd won the league.

Dundee United's staying down down

MWHIBBIES
30-03-2018, 08:16 AM
Correct. Saw another poster say they want United up as they've given us a few good games or something along those lines. I don't want anyone giving us a good game. Want us to steamroller everyone. Wont happen obviously but i'd rather a 5-0 easy win than a very even 1-0 or draw.

Ram United. They laughed at us in 98, they laughed at us in the Scottish Cup semi in 2005 and they were giving it big licks last year at Tannadice thinking they'd won the league.

Dundee United's staying down down

Yep. Bugger them and every other Scottish side,if you arent with us you're against us.

Hiber-nation
30-03-2018, 08:26 AM

I don't love them at all. When they play Hibs I hate them. But I would like to see them and Dunfermline in the top flight instead of *****y wee clubs like Hamilton and Ross Co.

Hiber-nation
30-03-2018, 08:33 AM

They overspent, paid the price and are still paying it. But categorising them along with that pair? Seriously??!!

Clerie Green
30-03-2018, 08:48 AM
eff them all , they’re not the Hibees !

:flag:

Billy Whizz
30-03-2018, 09:13 AM

What’s the history of this in your family, brothers are United supporters, and you support Hibs?
Were they glory United supporters from the 80’s?

PatHead
30-03-2018, 09:18 AM
No Billy. My grandad came from Dundee and encouraged us all to be Arabs. It was the late sixties so definitely no glory hunting from them. They still wore a white strip in those days. I was just a bit awkward and supported Hibs 😀

Billy Whizz
30-03-2018, 09:19 AM
No Billy. My grandad came from Dundee and encouraged us all to be Arabs. It was the late sixties so definitely no glory hunting from them. They still wore a white strip in those days. I was just a bit awkward and supported Hibs 😀

Nice story, well done to you, although don’t think your grandad would have been proud of you!

PatHead
30-03-2018, 09:26 AM
My grandad died on the 3rd January 1973 from cancer. My memory of the game was lying on his bed listening to the radio commentary. No one else was allowed in the room. My dad and him took us to the 1972 cup final. Suppose if you lived in east Edinburgh in the fifties you would have a soft spot for Hibs. I think he got Hibs. If I had supported Hearts I doubt he would have been so forgiving.

SirDavidsNapper
31-03-2018, 03:56 PM
Conceded a 93rd minute equaliser

Dashing Bob S
31-03-2018, 04:07 PM
Yep. Bugger them and every other Scottish side,if you arent with us you're against us.

**** dem ahhlll

essexhibee
31-03-2018, 04:07 PM
Lost me 700 quid today the tits

G B Young
31-03-2018, 05:54 PM
They've now dropped out the top four.

Thecat23
31-03-2018, 05:56 PM

That’s a sore one. Saying that I wouldn’t touch Utd on my coupon these days.

Craig_HFC
31-03-2018, 06:04 PM

St Mirren let my Mrs down for a grand today after being 2-0 up.

I’m staying out of her way tonight!

WoreTheGreen
31-03-2018, 06:07 PM
St Mirren let my Mrs down for a grand today after being 2-0 up.

I’m staying out of her way tonight!

It’s only money and you’ve got a shed

Craig_HFC
31-03-2018, 06:26 PM
It’s only money and you’ve got a shed

Haha aye very true

BILLYHIBS
14-07-2018, 11:16 PM
Lost today to Arbroath at home I know very early days penalty shoot out but dear oh dear!

Laslo must go! 😂👍

SMAXXA
15-07-2018, 12:06 AM
I actually hope he does well, we love to see people fail as a nation

Hermit Crab
15-07-2018, 06:22 AM
Lost today to Arbroath at home I know very early days penalty shoot out but dear oh dear!

Laslo must go! 😂👍

Its only the league cup but there was some what you'd maybe call upsets.

Falkirk lost at home to Montrose, 0-1

Raith Rovers lost at home to Cowdenbeath, 0-2

Hamilton lost away to Annan Athletic, 1-0

St Johnstone only beat East Fife on pens after a 0-0 draw.

BILLYHIBS
15-07-2018, 07:45 AM
I actually hope he does well, we love to see people fail as a nation
I hear you ! I am not normally that sort of a person. I saw it had a wee smile to myself and as it is a no news day apart from WCF I just thought I would put it out there. Hopefully it will come as a wake up call to the Arabs as there is a still a long way to go and the window is still open. It may also be the fact that he is an ex jambo boss and I can still remember them celebrating as if they had won the League that Christmas when they beat us in the Championship up at Tannadice. As I said I am not normally that sort of a person.:wink:

hibbyfraelibby
15-07-2018, 09:41 PM

Laslo must go! 😂👍

They didn't "lose". They drew. In the LC you can earn a bonus point by winning the penalty shoot out. If they lost they would have Nil Points, but they have one point.

BILLYHIBS
16-07-2018, 06:45 AM
They didn't "lose". They drew. In the LC you can earn a bonus point by winning the penalty shoot out. If they lost they would have Nil Points, but they have one point.
Eh? Dress it up as you will yes technically it is a draw but losing a penalty shoot out to any right thinking football player is still losing a game. OK they lost a bonus point. Try telling that to the Kilmarnock players and the United players.The whole point of the bonus point is to have a winning outcome to make it more exciting for the players and the fans. I would rather have two points than one towards the end of the section totals and I am sure Laslo and Stevie Clarke are telling their players this morning must do better not hardlines Guys you only drew!

Winner winner chicken dinner! :wink:

LancsHibs
16-07-2018, 06:48 AM
Glad we’re not involved. Bigger fish to fry😚

Wilson
16-07-2018, 08:40 AM
Glad we’re not involved. Bigger fish to fry😚

Runavik?

PeeKay
16-07-2018, 08:54 AM
Runavik?

In the context of Hibs advancing in the UEFA Europa League then yes, Runavik are bigger fish.

Wilson
16-07-2018, 09:43 AM
In the context of Hibs advancing in the UEFA Europa League then yes, Runavik are bigger fish.

I can see your point in that context.

Smartie
16-07-2018, 10:06 AM
It's also a pretty decent Faroe Islands/ fishing pun.

Wilson
16-07-2018, 10:42 AM

No puns on this site mate. You'll get battered.

Hibernian Verse
16-07-2018, 10:55 AM

It's a slippery slope

allezsauzee
16-07-2018, 11:47 AM

Agreed, there is a time and plaice for puns.

Topographic Hibby
16-07-2018, 11:51 AM
These Faroes fish puns are becoming a very bad halibut.......

AltheHibby
16-07-2018, 12:04 PM
Oh, for cods sake!

Springbank
16-07-2018, 12:12 PM

It's all a question of scale

Forza Fred
16-07-2018, 12:24 PM
I’m sick to the gills of these puns

AltheHibby
16-07-2018, 12:28 PM
I blame STF for all this. He brought the Rod in.

WeeRussell
16-07-2018, 12:29 PM
I thought all this tiresome, irritating, thread-clogging not even remotely funny Pun nonsense had been banned?!

I hope not - I'm hooked.

Smartie
16-07-2018, 12:32 PM
I'm guddling around trying to come up with something funny but I must admit I'm floundering a bit.

IGRIGI
16-07-2018, 12:37 PM
I thought all this tiresome, irritating, thread-clogging not even remotely funny Pun nonsense had been banned?!

I hope not - I'm hooked.

Me neither, I'm having a whale of a time.

Hibs1969
16-07-2018, 12:50 PM
The problem as I see it is there are far too many on here who can’t hake a joke, their sole purpose is to bring the mood down. 😉

WeeRussell
16-07-2018, 01:04 PM
The problem as I see it is there are far too many on here who can’t hake a joke, their sole purpose is to bring the mood down. 😉

Same boat mate.

WeeRussell
16-07-2018, 01:06 PM

Look what you've started!!! You're some buoy.

HoboHarry
16-07-2018, 01:24 PM
They clearly flounder when it comes to humour......

mutley
16-07-2018, 02:25 PM

Surely by going further in the tournament, more money, we will be Squids in

BILLYHIBS
18-07-2018, 10:36 AM
Defo another defeat last night by the staggies. Laugh? I almost bought a round! :wink:

WestStandWillie
18-07-2018, 10:50 AM
Watching them struggle isnae half funny!

Tinpot club, fans celebrated us being relegated twice so nae luck.

Can see them daeing a Raith and becoming a constant in League 1.

H18 SFR
18-07-2018, 11:13 AM
Are the Dundee Utd players who played last night cup tied if we sign them?

Juniper Greens
18-07-2018, 11:17 AM

I don't think you can call them a tinpot club. They are probably the 6th biggest in the country? They have been poorly run over the last 5 years or so, but now have new owners and chairman looking to put them back on track. Would rather have them in the Premiership than Livi.

CropleyWasGod
18-07-2018, 11:19 AM

Can't be too many tinpot clubs reach a UEFA Cup Final :cb

SquashedFrogg
18-07-2018, 11:34 AM
Can't be too many tinpot clubs reach a UEFA Cup Final :cb

Or win the league. I really dont get the hatred. Maybe havent been watching scottish football over the last 30 odd years. For me they would absolutely enhance our league.

Barman Stanton
18-07-2018, 11:47 AM

I'm curious why you class them as tinpot? In my lifetime (40), they have won way more than Hibs - A league title, 2 Scottish Cups, 2 League Cups and also reached a UEFA Cup Final and a European Cup Semi final. Hardly the honours of a tinpot club.

Billy Whizz
18-07-2018, 11:51 AM
Are the Dundee Utd players who played last night cup tied if we sign them?

Sorry who are we after?

bigwheel
18-07-2018, 11:52 AM

what a depressing mindset to have....

SirDavidsNapper
18-07-2018, 11:57 AM
I'm curious why you class them as tinpot? In my lifetime (40), they have won way more than Hibs - A league title, 2 Scottish Cups, 2 League Cups and also reached a UEFA Cup Final and a European Cup Semi final. Hardly the honours of a tinpot club.

You're right but all distant memories now. I can see them languishing down there for a while yet and Dundee being the dominant club in the city again. Hibs worst nightmare after being relegated is happening to Dundee United.

Hibs90
18-07-2018, 11:58 AM
Much rather have them than Hamilton thats for sure.

Billy Whizz
18-07-2018, 12:03 PM
Much rather have them than Hamilton thats for sure.

Used to bring around 1,000 or so to ER
Other than having that bellend Laszlo as their manager, I like Dundee Utd

cabbageandribs1875
18-07-2018, 12:06 PM

and ahead of us in head-to head league wins :agree: a statistic a dundee united fan was making on here a few years back....before he was punted because a couple of posters couldn't handle the facts

Barman Stanton
18-07-2018, 12:07 PM
You're right but all distant memories now. I can see them languishing down there for a while yet and Dundee being the dominant club in the city again. Hibs worst nightmare after being relegated is happening to Dundee United.

I dont disagree with that, and feel they will be in trouble if they don't get up this season. They are hardly 'tinpot' though.

WeeRussell
18-07-2018, 12:21 PM
Or win the league. I really dont get the hatred. Maybe havent been watching scottish football over the last 30 odd years. For me they would absolutely enhance our league.

:agree: Hope they can get their act together and get promotion this year.. a lot of changes needed though.

SirDavidsNapper
18-07-2018, 12:22 PM
I dont disagree with that, and feel they will be in trouble if they don't get up this season. They are hardly 'tinpot' though.

No definitely not tinpot. I'd still class them as a main rival along with the uglies, Aberdeen and....Kilmarnock 😉

IncredibleHibee
18-07-2018, 12:24 PM

You are talking nonsense. They are a big club in Scottish football and actually in recent times (being the last 50 yrs) have been much more successful than us. They would be a welcome enhancement to the top league in place of one of the plastic pitchers like Hamilton

weecounty hibby
18-07-2018, 05:39 PM

Why would they enhance the league any more than say, Falkirk or Dunfermline or Partick. These clubs would have an equivalent support to utd. There are only five clubs who really should never be out of the top division. OF, Hibs, hearts and Aberdeen. The fact that both us and the Jambos were relegated was down to gross mismanagement. Utd had a glory spell that lasted a few years but will struggle big time now and will end up on a par with those clubs mentioned and Dundee, Motherwell, St Js etc. There are a number of levels with Scottish football OF at the top, us, hearts and Aberdeen next then a fairly big group including Utd next.

Juniper Greens
18-07-2018, 05:49 PM
Why would they enhance the league any more than say, Falkirk or Dunfermline or Partick. These clubs would have an equivalent support to utd. There are only five clubs who really should never be out of the top division. OF, Hibs, hearts and Aberdeen. The fact that both us and the Jambos were relegated was down to gross mismanagement. Utd had a glory spell that lasted a few years but will struggle big time now and will end up on a par with those clubs mentioned and Dundee, Motherwell, St Js etc. There are a number of levels with Scottish football OF at the top, us, hearts and Aberdeen next then a fairly big group including Utd next.

Average attendances from last season suggest otherwise, where, despite a large drop were still a bit bigger than every other team in the league

weecounty hibby
18-07-2018, 05:59 PM
Average attendances from last season suggest otherwise, where, despite a large drop were still a bit bigger than every other team in the league

They may have had a wee bit more than the others mentioned but nothing that all of a sudden makes them a bigger enhancement to the league than those others in my opinion. It's like the argument about Hibs, hearts, Aberdeen who has the biggest support. Broadly speaking we are all about the same.

weecounty hibby
18-07-2018, 06:00 PM
I should add that for me this is evidence of how a bigger league would be successful, but that's a while other debate

Speedway
18-07-2018, 06:00 PM
No issue with the Arabs.

Never useful to have one of the ‘bigger’ teams toiling, unless it’s sevco.

Or the yam.

allezsauzee
18-07-2018, 06:12 PM
Used to bring around 1,000 or so to ER
Other than having that bellend Laszlo as their manager, I like Dundee Utd

I quite like Csaba, way too pleasant to have been a yam manager. United should be in the top division though. They were a very decent team 4 seasons ago until they started selling off their best players and replacing them with pish ones, a bit like we did a few years before them.

Brooster
18-07-2018, 07:12 PM
I couldnt care less about them. Do you think they worried about us when we were in the championship?

Brizo
19-07-2018, 05:49 AM

Impressive haul much of which was acquired during a period when they over achieved under Jim McLean. Puts into perspective how we possibly under achieved under Eddie Turnbull. The Tornadoes football was far more entertaining than Mcleans United but failed to deliver that level of success.

Don't get the anti Arab feeling. The ones I know are proper football fans who support their local team and are more pro Hibs than Hertz. So some of them gloated over us getting relegated, all clubs have some plums in their support including us judging by some of the posts on this thread.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
19-07-2018, 06:11 AM
No issue with the Arabs.

Never useful to have one of the ‘bigger’ teams toiling, unless it’s sevco.

Or the yam.

I can't understand why anyone could hate Dundee Utd so much? Aside from being another of our progeny, they are a proper club from a city with an impressive (modern) history.

Personally other than the huns and hearts to a lesser and different degree, there are few clubs I hate.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
19-07-2018, 06:13 AM
Impressive haul much of which was acquired during a period when they over achieved under Jim McLean. Puts into perspective how we possibly under achieved under Eddie Turnbull. The Tornadoes football was far more entertaining than Mcleans United but failed to deliver that level of success.

Don't get the anti Arab feeling. The ones I know are proper football fans who support their local team and are more pro Hibs than Hertz. So some of them gloated over us getting relegated, all clubs have some plums in their support including us judging by some of the posts on this thread.

Agree.

Think the tornadoes were a bit unlucky that they came up against Celtic and rangers being so strong. If they had peaked ten years later or earlier, I'm sure they would have won more. Just bad luck.

Thecat23
19-07-2018, 06:44 AM
They are just simply really pish. I don’t really care anymore about them. Can see them toiling for years though now.

Hibs1969
19-07-2018, 06:50 AM
I don’t get the anti United sentiment from some on here either. Until recently they were a well run, community club. Their achievements under McLean were outstanding, one European final and cheated out of another by a corrupt referee. They’ve struggled recently and their signing policy has been a bit scattergun but personally I’d rather have them in the league than Hamilton. However unless United get themselves sorted and get promoted this year, they could be stuck in the Championship for a while.

BILLYHIBS
19-07-2018, 06:54 AM

I would not consider myself to be a PLUM! My opinion of Dundee United is formed by their fans attitude to our self inflicted misfortune over the years and now the glove is on the other foot.
I remember Jim McLean paying a ragtag bunch o wee laddies YTS wages and holding them a prisoner of their contracts pre Bosman. OK they won the League using 14 players and got to a EUFA Cup Final.
Who was in the wrong?
I remember being part of a big HIBS travelling support at Tannadice getting knocked out by a very annoying Darren Jackson winner in the Scottish Cup.
Who was in the wrong?
I remember them relegating us at ER in the late nineties. My laddie was greeting. We had no one to blame but ourselves
Who was in the wrong?
I remember going up there on Tsunami Boxing Day with Tony Mowbrays teenage kicks and beating them 4-1 as part of a large travelling support.
I remember two recent League Cup encounters when we were in the Championship and they were in the PL.The first an Armstrong and Mackay Stevens inspired Utd beat us on penalties.The second I spoke to two Utd fans on Leith Walk and their attitude was we were a lower league club and this was just a day out for them.We knocked them,out and went on to eliminate Aberdeen.
Lastly thei celebrations coming from their dressing room the last Christmas we were in the Championship did all Neil Lennons team talks for him for the rest of that promotion season.
To be honest I do not really care about any other team apart from HIBS. If they finally manage to drag themselves up good! If they stay down good!As Eddie Turnbull once said “Don’t take your foot off the gas boys they would do the same to you.”
They sold all their best players so that Steven Thomson could get some of his hard earned back now Utd are reaping the benefits.
Who was in the wrong?

:wink:

GGTTH

RoxburghHibs
19-07-2018, 07:01 AM

In the last 40 years sure but not a single trophy before that. However your point stands as they are a top 10 club.

SirDavidsNapper
19-07-2018, 07:07 AM
I can see why a lot of folk who watched their football in the 80's would see Dundee United as a fallen giant so to speak. Their achievements then were impressive. To 90's folk like me they were a very poor side always at the bottom end of the league fighting relegation. They won the Scottish cup but were relegated the next season i'm sure. I know we probably would have done the same but their fans celebrating our relegation at ER in 98 still sticks in my throat. Not that i'm bitter or anything :wink:. They aren't a bad lot really.

They are one of our larger supported clubs though and i feel our top league would be stronger with them and Dunfermline in it.

Smartie
19-07-2018, 07:53 AM
Without really wishing any great misery on them, I've generally found fans of United to be total nuggets.

A fairly bitter bunch, they've struggled to adapt to their club falling down football's pecking order. I don't mean so much their current issues in the Championship, but more their descent from their heady heights of the 80s.

Dundee were by far my favourite of the 2 Dundee clubs when I stayed up there. Far more grounded fans, and there always seemed to be a fair few of them too (given their relative lack of success and having to live in the shadows of their neighbours for so long).

United are still a decent-sized club though, and when in the premier league could be relied upon to get pretty consistent crowds irrespective of what was happening on the park.

They're always an asset to the top league though, and a good away day. I'd much rather have them than Livingston or Hamilton.

Elephant Stone
19-07-2018, 07:56 AM
Without really wishing any great misery on them, I've generally found fans of United to be total nuggets.

A fairly bitter bunch, they've struggled to adapt to their club falling down football's pecking order. I don't mean so much their current issues in the Championship, but more their descent from their heady heights of the 80s.

Dundee were by far my favourite of the 2 Dundee clubs when I stayed up there. Far more grounded fans, and there always seemed to be a fair few of them too (given their relative lack of success and having to live in the shadows of their neighbours for so long).

United are still a decent-sized club though, and when in the premier league could be relied upon to get pretty consistent crowds irrespective of what was happening on the park.

They're always an asset to the top league though, and a good away day. I'd much rather have them than Livingston or Hamilton.

How's this thread treating your bitterness detectors?

Smartie
19-07-2018, 08:13 AM
How's this thread treating your bitterness detectors?

To be fair, we have a few nuggets of our own. All of the issues folk have with other teams celebrating when you're relegated - that's football, get used to it, it happens. If you can't deal with that, you shouldn't go to football.

Genuinely though, United fans always have to some grievance or other, even when they're doing well. There doesn't seem to be much joy in following United, so they're as well being where they are so they can actually have something to be so miserable about.

I don't think it's a coincidence that stuff like the "Matty Jack incident" and the stooshie over Jason Scotland's work permit both involved United.

BILLYHIBS
19-07-2018, 08:20 AM
To be fair, we have a few nuggets of our own. All of the issues folk have with other teams celebrating when you're relegated - that's football, get used to it, it happens. If you can't deal with that, you shouldn't go to football.

Genuinely though, United fans always have to some grievance or other, even when they're doing well. There doesn't seem to be much joy in following United, so they're as well being where they are so they can actually have something to be so miserable about.

I don't think it's a coincidence that stuff like the "Matty Jack incident" and the stooshie over Jason Scotland's work permit both involved United.
Maybe the miserable Arabs should become HIBS fans after all they were once Dundee HIBS and as my old man used to say pre holy grail the only certainty in life apart from income tax and death is that HIBS will always let you down.How miserable was that? Sadly he never saw it!

Cardinal Hibernian
19-07-2018, 12:35 PM
I'm curious why you class them as tinpot? In my lifetime (40), they have won way more than Hibs - A league title, 2 Scottish Cups, 2 League Cups and also reached a UEFA Cup Final and a European Cup Semi final. Hardly the honours of a tinpot club.However, prior to 1979 they had not won a major trophy. Think about this - apart from the two Scottish Cup wins (in 1994 and 2010) their trophies had been clinched at Dens Park! The League Cup replay against Aberdeen and then the only ever time the two Dundee clubs have met in a final - clubs agreed to play at (neutral) Dens Park. Must really rile the Dundee support.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

ChrissyG1875
19-07-2018, 12:38 PM
I'm really hoping that Dundee hibernian get promoted this season. The two evening games at Tannadice were cracking away trips, apart from the actual game in the first one. Its a decent stadium in Scottish football terms and I'd take a trip to Dundee any day of the week over half the teams in the league.

Smartie
19-07-2018, 12:38 PM
However, prior to 1979 they had not won a major trophy. Think about this - apart from the two Scottish Cup wins (in 1994 and 2010) their trophies had been clinched at Dens Park! The League Cup replay against Aberdeen and then the only ever time the two Dundee clubs have met in a final - clubs agreed to play at (neutral) Dens Park. Must really rile the Dundee support.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

I don't think it really bothers them that much now, as the last time the clubs met Dundee relegated them........ at Dens Park.

Since90+2
19-07-2018, 12:40 PM
Don't mind Dundee United to be honest. Certainly prefer their fans to the old firm, Hearts and Aberdeen. Decent away day too.

heretoday
19-07-2018, 12:46 PM
Don't mind Dundee United to be honest. Certainly prefer their fans to the old firm, Hearts and Aberdeen. Decent away day too.

I've always admired them, especially the team that won honours under Jim McLean.

If we go out of business I'll be heading up the M90 for pehs and brehdehs.

PatHead
19-07-2018, 12:56 PM
I don't think it really bothers them that much now, as the last time the clubs met Dundee relegated them........ at Dens Park.

They also won the league at Dens Park.

IGRIGI
19-07-2018, 01:14 PM
After the Skacel affair and time as mini Hearts with Levein and Resorces Housten I hope its a slow and painful death down the leagues.

Brizo
19-07-2018, 01:22 PM
I would not consider myself to be a PLUM! My opinion of Dundee United is formed by their fans attitude to our self inflicted misfortune over the years and now the glove is on the other foot.
I remember Jim McLean paying a ragtag bunch o wee laddies YTS wages and holding them a prisoner of their contracts pre Bosman. OK they won the League using 14 players and got to a EUFA Cup Final.
Who was in the wrong?
I remember being part of a big HIBS travelling support at Tannadice getting knocked out by a very annoying Darren Jackson winner in the Scottish Cup.
Who was in the wrong?
I remember them relegating us at ER in the late nineties. My laddie was greeting. We had no one to blame but ourselves
Who was in the wrong?
I remember going up there on Tsunami Boxing Day with Tony Mowbrays teenage kicks and beating them 4-1 as part of a large travelling support.
I remember two recent League Cup encounters when we were in the Championship and they were in the PL.The first an Armstrong and Mackay Stevens inspired Utd beat us on penalties.The second I spoke to two Utd fans on Leith Walk and their attitude was we were a lower league club and this was just a day out for them.We knocked them,out and went on to eliminate Aberdeen.
Lastly thei celebrations coming from their dressing room the last Christmas we were in the Championship did all Neil Lennons team talks for him for the rest of that promotion season.
To be honest I do not really care about any other team apart from HIBS. If they finally manage to drag themselves up good! If they stay down good!As Eddie Turnbull once said “Don’t take your foot off the gas boys they would do the same to you.”
They sold all their best players so that Steven Thomson could get some of his hard earned back now Utd are reaping the benefits.
Who was in the wrong?

:wink:

GGTTH

I was mainly thinking of WestStandWillie when I made the plum comment :wink:

I agree with some of your points while others I don't. I think DUFC are a decent community club and I've never experienced any hostility (verbal or physical) from their fans. Petty jibes from their fans or their players about our misfortune obviously don't wind me up the way they've wound you up.

I also think that any club (except Hertz) which breaks the OF duopoly deserves some credit.

Eddie Thomson was one of the best things that happened to them, Steven Thomson is one of the worst

I view them like a Partick or a St Johnstone... just don't get the seethe some have for them.

cleanyman
19-07-2018, 01:30 PM
Eddie Thomson left his club in masses of debt.

He was also the same chairman who paid Ian McCall 250 grand a year.

Steven Thompson came into a mess and made it worse. I hope they stay down for a long time.

SideBurns
19-07-2018, 02:17 PM
Eddie Thomson left his club in masses of debt.

He was also the same chairman who paid Ian McCall 250 grand a year.

Steven Thompson came into a mess and made it worse. I hope they stay down for a long time.

None of that is the fault of the fans though is it? We've been in a mess in the past due to incompetent ownership - would we have deserved to go down the leagues and stay there? I don't understand why Hibbies would feel this way about a club who haven't done us any harm. Very strange.

cleanyman
19-07-2018, 02:23 PM
None of that is the fault of the fans though is it? We've been in a mess in the past due to incompetent ownership - would we have deserved to go down the leagues and stay there? I don't understand why Hibbies would feel this way about a club who haven't done us any harm. Very strange.

Try living in Dundee.

Deluded.

Thecat23
19-07-2018, 02:37 PM

Yes if we had gone on the way we had been run then we deserve whatever we had coming. No team has a right to be in the top flight no matter the side of it. If it’s baldy run they tough and that goes for Hibs as well.

SirDavidsNapper
19-07-2018, 03:00 PM
I've always admired them, especially the team that won honours under Jim McLean.

If we go out of business I'll be heading up the M90 for pehs and brehdehs.

This thread is getting too soppy now. Delete thread, delete Dundee United. Hibs are all that matter.

Eaststand
19-07-2018, 03:27 PM
They also won the league at Dens Park.

Just like the Hertz did in '86

:-)
GGTTH

Smartie
19-07-2018, 03:31 PM
Yes if we had gone on the way we had been run then we deserve whatever we had coming. No team has a right to be in the top flight no matter the side of it. If it’s baldy run they tough and that goes for Hibs as well.

I think it's only fair that they have toupee for Thomson's incompetence.

Thecat23
19-07-2018, 03:31 PM
I think it's only fair that they have toupee for Thomson's incompetence.

😂😂 I really should read it back before I post.

SideBurns
19-07-2018, 04:01 PM

Aye but some seem to almost relish the situation they're in. I don't "hope" any team suffers when their fans are no different from ours - brought up to support their team, and who find it difficult in bad times.

Obviously this doesn't apply to the likes of The Huns, whose support deserve every bit of pain inflicted on that mangy club.

BILLYHIBS
19-07-2018, 07:34 PM
I was mainly thinking of WestStandWillie when I made the plum comment :wink:

I agree with some of your points while others I don't. I think DUFC are a decent community club and I've never experienced any hostility (verbal or physical) from their fans. Petty jibes from their fans or their players about our misfortune obviously don't wind me up the way they've wound you up.

I also think that any club (except Hertz) which breaks the OF duopoly deserves some credit.

Eddie Thomson was one of the best things that happened to them, Steven Thomson is one of the worst

I view them like a Partick or a St Johnstone... just don't get the seethe some have for them.
I never for one minute thought you were referring to me personally.I took it to be your overall generalisation of the thread. My point was that they seemed to relish our relegation in the nineties and more recently our time down there and obviously at one point their players were arrogant enough to think they were coming straight back up and we were staying down. Yes they probably have good fans but unfortunately like us due to mismanagement they are still down there and like us will find it extremely difficult and expensive to return. We have had our three years in the wilderness it is somebody else’s turn.Hibs Spartans and Edinburgh City are good community clubs and like Utd work hard to help the local community. I think you will agree that the only team that really matters to everyone on this website is HIBS.

I cannot believe I am typing this while the cabbage are drawing 3-3 with the Faroese on the telly :wink:

Brizo
20-07-2018, 05:27 AM
I never for one minute thought you were referring to me personally.I took it to be your overall generalisation of the thread. My point was that they seemed to relish our relegation in the nineties and more recently our time down there and obviously at one point their players were arrogant enough to think they were coming straight back up and we were staying down. Yes they probably have good fans but unfortunately like us due to mismanagement they are still down there and like us will find it extremely difficult and expensive to return. We have had our three years in the wilderness it is somebody else’s turn.Hibs Spartans and Edinburgh City are good community clubs and like Utd work hard to help the local community. I think you will agree that the only team that really matters to everyone on this website is HIBS.

I cannot believe I am typing this while the cabbage are drawing 3-3 with the Faroese on the telly :wink:

:agree:

Its all about the Hibs and last night was typical Hibs :greengrin, what a rollercoaster :aok:

BILLYHIBS
20-07-2018, 07:43 AM
:agree:

Its all about the Hibs and last night was typical Hibs :greengrin, what a rollercoaster :aok:
:thumbsup:

PatHead
21-07-2018, 04:05 PM
Lose on penalties again. This time to Alloa

Hermit Crab
21-07-2018, 04:07 PM
Lose on penalties again. This time to Alloa

They're struggling to go through now.

Billy Whizz
21-07-2018, 04:08 PM
They're struggling to go through now.

They are out

BILLYHIBS
21-07-2018, 04:08 PM
Dundee Utd 1 v 1 Alloa *

Utd lost on penalties so even although they drew they lost a valuable bonus point for the second time.

:aok:

Oh ma aching sides! :wink:

Hermit Crab
21-07-2018, 04:43 PM
They are out

Just realised that was their 3rd game. Probably better they are out then they can focus on the league now.

Sir David Gray
21-07-2018, 04:44 PM
They are out

I've seen that confirmed but still trying to figure out how.

Surely if they hammer Elgin in their last game then they could still go through as long as Alloa and Arbroath both lose their remaining games?

Am i missing something? :confused:

davhibby
21-07-2018, 04:47 PM

Surely if they hammer Elgin in their last game then they could still go through as long as Alloa and Arbroath both lose their remaining games?

Only the 4 best second place teams go through. 5 points won't be anywhere near enough for that

Billy Whizz
21-07-2018, 04:49 PM

Think they can now only get 5 points. There’s no way they will get one of the top 4, 2nd placed spots with that amount of points, or am I missing something’s too😄

Sir David Gray
21-07-2018, 04:49 PM
Only the 4 best second place teams go through. 5 points won't be anywhere near enough for that

Cheers I knew only half of the 2nd placed teams went through but didn't realise it was a certainty that they were out at this stage.

Billy Whizz
21-07-2018, 04:52 PM
Cheers I knew only half of the 2nd placed teams went through but didn't realise it was a certainty that they were out at this stage.

Haven’t looked at all the tables, but think you’ll need a min of 8, and possibly 9 points to get 4 of the runners up spots

Sir David Gray
21-07-2018, 04:53 PM
Think they can now only get 5 points. There’s no way they will get one of the top 4, 2nd placed spots with that amount of points, or am I missing something’s too😄

I've just checked the results from the last 2 years since the format changed into the group stages and the lowest number of points a 2nd placed team has managed to qualify with is 9 points so I can see now that they're knackered.

21-07-2018, 09:20 PM
Dundee Utd had a similar plight to us. Years of decline, selling off their best players and replacing them with rubbish ultimately leading to relegation. Unlike us though, they seem to be struggling to properly rebuild. They are in a far poorer championship than what we were in especially in our first 2 years but they are still struggling.

I would like to see them come up, I think they are a far better addition to the Premiership than the likes of Hamilton.

My_Wife_Camille
22-07-2018, 12:58 AM
Dundee Utd had a similar plight to us. Years of decline, selling off their best players and replacing them with rubbish ultimately leading to relegation. Unlike us though, they seem to be struggling to properly rebuild. They are in a far poorer championship than what we were in especially in our first 2 years but they are still struggling.

I would like to see them come up, I think they are a far better addition to the Premiership than the likes of Hamilton.
United was much more sudden. They’d had about 10 years of consecutive top 6 finished before suddenly being relegated.

We had it coming for three or 4 years

22-07-2018, 02:32 AM
United was much more sudden. They’d had about 10 years of consecutive top 6 finished before suddenly being relegated.

We had it coming for three or 4 years

At least! After the league cup winning team in 2007 things began to decline, we had a couple of ok seasons between then and relegation but in general the club really was only heading one way. As I mentioned on another thread, any talent we had was sold off and replaced with garbage. Season after season of mediocre signings sadly had become the norm. We blame Butcher, and rightly so, for the relegation but he was only the last in a long line of people who got us there.

Cardinal Hibernian
22-07-2018, 04:35 AM
At least! After the league cup winning team in 2007 things began to decline, we had a couple of ok seasons between then and relegation but in general the club really was only heading one way. As I mentioned on another thread, any talent we had was sold off and replaced with garbage. Season after season of mediocre signings sadly had become the norm. We blame Butcher, and rightly so, for the relegation but he was only the last in a long line of people who got us there.Which, unfortunately, mirrored exactly the decline on two occasions following the League Cup wins in 1972 and 1991 which led to relegation within 7 years!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Oscar T Grouch
22-07-2018, 06:32 AM
There’s a United fan and ST holder on the till of my works local Tesco express. He’s been taking all this very hard. He’s a decent guy who doesn’t like the jambos so I have real sympathy for him. For the sake of this guys mental health, I’d like to see United promoted this season. He doesn’t like Czaba buy reckons they’re stuck with him due to lack of funds. He’s seriously worried for the future of his club if they don’t get promoted this season. I’m really no looking forward to seeing him on Monday, he’ll have that forced smile he needs to have for his work but I’ll know how he really feels after the weekend results.

BILLYHIBS
22-07-2018, 06:44 AM
There’s a United fan and ST holder on the till of my works local Tesco express. He’s been taking all this very hard. He’s a decent guy who doesn’t like the jambos so I have real sympathy for him. For the sake of this guys mental health, I’d like to see United promoted this season. He doesn’t like Czaba buy reckons they’re stuck with him due to lack of funds. He’s seriously worried for the future of his club if they don’t get promoted this season. I’m really no looking forward to seeing him on Monday, he’ll have that forced smile he needs to have for his work but I’ll know how he really feels after the weekend results.
I feel that guys pain seen it done it got the tee shirt! I feel that much as Laslo is a nice guy and an ex jambo so and so if they stick with him they are doomed better to get rid start again and perhaps bring in someone with a United back ground to perhaps give the fans some belief some hope going into the new season. This from a poster that you will know hates United! :wink:

Ronniekirk
22-07-2018, 07:46 AM
Steven Thompson has single handily put that club on its knees.
Shambles of a club now. Stadiums run down and in need of replacement.
Selling off its Academy Pitch to the pension fund of their new Chairman!

Eddie Thompson would be ashamed of what his son has done.

This for me But they have brought it on themselves and were punching well above their weight for years so they are now going to have to probably change Manager again and gamble on getting up this Season
Financially a disaster if they stay down again

BILLYHIBS
04-08-2018, 05:04 PM
Dundee United 2 v 3 Dunfermline

Dear Oh dear!