PDA

View Full Version : You'll never walk alone v SOL.

Babyshamble
25-03-2018, 04:45 PM
Had the pleasure of being at anfield yesterday in the kop.YNWA sent shivers down my spine.2nd only to SUNSHINE ON LEITH.2 fantastic football songs.💚❤

Greencore
25-03-2018, 08:25 PM
Might be wrong but didn't we sing this in the 90s? (YNWA)

Babyshamble
25-03-2018, 08:49 PM

Remember being with my dad in the late 80s singing it

Lancs Harp
25-03-2018, 08:53 PM
Remember being with my dad in the late 80s singing it

Back in the day i think most clubs sung it. Its iconic Liverpool tho and SoL is totally unique/

mca
25-03-2018, 08:54 PM
Sunshine on Leith - is ours.. http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/thumbs%20up.gif

The Harp
25-03-2018, 10:05 PM
Sunshine on Leith is in a class of its own compared to the other football anthems, including YNWA.
So glad to have it as our own.

calumhibee1
25-03-2018, 10:08 PM
Sunshine on Leith is in a class of its own compared to the other football anthems, including YNWA.
So glad to have it as our own.

Agreed. SOL is streets ahead of YNWA. Two teams (possibly more?) sing YNWA for a start

cabbageandribs1875
25-03-2018, 10:57 PM
YNWA is utter cringe :sick:, even our 'speeded up' 80's disco version (You'll Never Walk Again) was better :) SoL is tops just ahead of 500 miles, YNWA maybe possibly scrapes in to the top 10(just) FACT :agree:

Babyshamble
25-03-2018, 11:28 PM
YNWA is utter cringe :sick:, even our 'speeded up' 80's disco version (You'll Never Walk Again) was better :) SoL is tops just ahead of 500 miles, YNWA maybe possibly scrapes in to the top 10(just) FACT :agree:
Bit harsh like.ridiculous post

Babyshamble
25-03-2018, 11:33 PM
Yet again new posters on here get the ****ing pish ripped oot them.

cabbageandribs1875
25-03-2018, 11:34 PM

sue me :boo hoo:

oh oh, a bit touchy

AZhibee
26-03-2018, 01:35 AM
SOL is specific and can't be effectively used elsewhere, and therefore is better.
SOL is always at the end of my marathon (or half) playlist and there is no better song to hear at tht moment.
:flag:

SirDavidsNapper
26-03-2018, 05:33 AM
Can think of Liverpool, Celtic and Dortmund that sing it before games. There's probably more.

hibs#1
26-03-2018, 05:53 AM
Can think of Liverpool, Celtic and Dortmund that sing it before games. There's probably more.

I'm sure I've seen a Dutch team sing it as well.

Brizo
26-03-2018, 05:55 AM
We sang YNWA up till the 90s. I think it was sung at Hampden during Skol Cup final celebrations 1991. I'm guessing we probably stopped singing it shortly after that , maybe mid 90s, but till then it was certainly sung at big games and to celebrate big wins.

SOL is uniquely ours and its impossible for any other club to hijack it. The response from other fans worldwide to it says it all. There is no contest with YNWA, SOL every time.

esjorto
26-03-2018, 05:56 AM
YNWA was recorded in 1963 by Gerry and the Pacemakers, was played at half time couple of times and very quickly was adopted by Liverpool fans as "their song".

iwasthere1972
26-03-2018, 06:36 AM

Remember singing it in the 70's. Fast version.

Iain G
26-03-2018, 06:49 AM
YNWA was recorded in 1963 by Gerry and the Pacemakers, was played at half time couple of times and very quickly was adopted by Liverpool fans as "their song".

It is a bloody awful piece of mawkish musical theatre! Sunshine on Leith trumps it in every way and glad we have such a unique and genuine song that we can emotionally connect to that means something about our team and it's place in the world and not a borrowed Rogers and Hammerstein show tune...

BSEJVT
26-03-2018, 06:54 AM

Think you need to stop being so precious.

You posted something, someone disagreed with it.

Do you really think before doing so they looked at your post count and though "ha, ha 200 posts I will show this novice how the big boys play"

They just didn't agree with you, I am 70/30 against your viewpoint on the topic but that's my response to the topic not you.

Scouse Hibee
26-03-2018, 06:57 AM
All depends on your roots and your associations with a particular anthem.SOL is fantastic, YNWA is better. 😁

Sammy7nil
26-03-2018, 07:00 AM

Yip silly post YNWA is a very good anthem when sung by the Kop

Dashing Bob S
26-03-2018, 07:01 AM
Always embarrassing when fans of any club other than Liverpool sing YNWA. Means nothing other than they’ve ripped off a decent football anthem. Glad we stopped that nonsense.

Scouse Hibee
26-03-2018, 07:02 AM

Come on now, if you expect everyone on here to agree with everything you post then you have no place on an internet forum. I can't even see your post count on my phone. Lighten up and join In, if you think the pish is being ripped (which it isn't in this case) then just dish it back out.

SirDavidsNapper
26-03-2018, 07:07 AM
YNWA is as much Liverpool's as SOL is ours. Always cringe when the most unoriginal team in world football (Celtic) sing it. Even worse when they do the cheesy sing along with Liverpool with the half and half scarves etc. Leave it for bloody Liverpool.

Greencore
26-03-2018, 07:13 AM

kaiserslautern sing it too

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
26-03-2018, 07:27 AM
YNWA is as much Liverpool's as SOL is ours. Always cringe when the most unoriginal team in world football (Celtic) sing it. Even worse when they do the cheesy sing along with Liverpool with the half and half scarves etc. Leave it for bloody Liverpool.

Yeah, have to admit for a club who talk themselves up so much, their very obvious and brass-necked appropriation of anothet club's anthem always makes me cringe a wee bit.

Great song though, and would love to visit anfield for a big game to hear it in its natural setting.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
26-03-2018, 07:27 AM
I'm sure I've seen a Dutch team sing it as well.

Im sure ive seen Ajax seen it

bigwheel
26-03-2018, 07:28 AM

oh come on...they have been singing it for decades...it is not as if they have recently adopted it..

heretoday
26-03-2018, 08:12 AM
Everyone sang YNWA back in the day. It's a classic football anthem and gets the colours displayed to good effect.I bet even Everton fans sang it a few times.

vuefrom1875
26-03-2018, 08:13 AM

I'm sure some celtc fans would disagree 😊

Pagan Hibernia
26-03-2018, 08:17 AM
Not a huge fan of the song but can see why it’s very special to Liverpool fans.... particularly after April ‘89 when it took on a whole new meaning.

Pagan Hibernia
26-03-2018, 08:25 AM
Everyone sang YNWA back in the day. It's a classic football anthem and gets the colours displayed to good effect.I bet even Everton fans sang it a few times.

the 1989 cup final for a start

Geo_1875
26-03-2018, 09:35 AM
All depends on your roots and your associations with a particular anthem.SOL is fantastic, YNWA is better. 😁

Liverpool fans will be glad Gerry and the Pacemakers recorded YNWA and not You're a Queer One, Julie Jordan.

Baader
26-03-2018, 11:28 AM
Both fantastic. Both transcend football. SoL can't be appropriated by anyone else. I don't much like Liverpool but make no mistake YNWA is their song and hearing it from the Kop is one of the great things about football.

Haymaker
26-03-2018, 02:44 PM

They do!

Kato
26-03-2018, 02:59 PM

Back in the early days of Hibs.net a similar discussion flushed out a Celtic fan who was willing to tell everyone that YNWA was written by a Celtic fan in the 1950's and was sung by Celtic fans before Liverpool got a hold it.

He was asked which one of Rogers and Hammerstein supported Celtic but didn't hang around long enough to provide answer.

snooky
26-03-2018, 03:05 PM
Back in the early days of Hibs.net a similar discussion flushed out a Celtic fan who was willing to tell everyone that YNWA was written by a Celtic fan in the 1950's and was sung by Celtic fans before Liverpool got a hold it.

He was asked which one of Rogers and Hammerstein supported Celtic but didn't hang around long enough to provide answer.

These days the same guy would retort with "Brendan, ya mug ye"

jacomo
26-03-2018, 03:38 PM

YNWA wasn’t written for Liverpool though.

The only reason it ‘belongs’ to Liverpool is that Gerry and the Pacemakers covered it - it isn’t even their song.

On this point, SoL WINS!

WoreTheGreen
26-03-2018, 04:15 PM

I agree in a roundabout way

jacomo
26-03-2018, 04:16 PM

Do tell more...

WoreTheGreen
26-03-2018, 04:20 PM
“My boy Bill “ may know more than me

Kato
26-03-2018, 04:20 PM

What part to you agree with?

CropleyWasGod
26-03-2018, 04:26 PM

Do tell more...

What part to you agree with?

The whooshes are bustin' out all over. :greengrin

Kato
26-03-2018, 04:29 PM

Ok.. It is Monday:greengrin

TelaStella
26-03-2018, 04:31 PM

Was it not sung the day we won the 1st division at firhill?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jamesie
26-03-2018, 04:34 PM
Do Leith Athletic sing "Sunshine on Leith"?

jacomo
26-03-2018, 05:11 PM

Well I am confused. Must be a Monday thing...

Scouse Hibee
26-03-2018, 05:22 PM
YNWA wasn’t written for Liverpool though.

The only reason it ‘belongs’ to Liverpool is that Gerry and the Pacemakers covered it - it isn’t even their song.

On this point, SoL WINS!

I didn't realise SOL was written for Hibs!

CropleyWasGod
26-03-2018, 05:31 PM
Well I am confused. Must be a Monday thing...Another name for a roundabout (8 letters)

Or a pub in Ferry Road (poss.archaic)

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

snooky
26-03-2018, 05:33 PM
Apparently we're just talking about sings and roundabouts

WoreTheGreen
26-03-2018, 05:40 PM
Billy Bigelow ken’s the score

26-03-2018, 07:00 PM
Get Liverpool up to ER for a pre-season friendly and we can have a sing off to settle this once and for all.

Babyshamble
26-03-2018, 08:29 PM
My post about being getting the pish ripped out me was wrong & stupid.was on the wrong side of 4 days on the bevvy.i apologise 2 everyone of you.sorry lads

Scouse Hibee
26-03-2018, 08:32 PM
My post about being getting the pish ripped out me was wrong & stupid.was on the wrong side of 4 days on the bevvy.i apologise 2 everyone of you.sorry lads

👍 No apology required mate, no harm done.

Sir David Gray
26-03-2018, 08:48 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone isn't a patch on Sunshine On Leith.

One song is unique to one football club, the other one is sung by fans of numerous clubs across the world.
One song was written and performed by two fans of the club that has adopted it, the other one was initially released as part of a musical and had no links to football.
One song is about the area in which the football team that has adopted it comes from, the other one isn't about the area that the club comes from.

As far as football anthems go, Sunshine On Leith really ticks all the boxes that You'll Never Walk Alone can only dream about.

Scouse Hibee
26-03-2018, 08:58 PM

One song is unique to one football club, the other one is sung by fans of numerous clubs across the world.
One song was written and performed by two fans of the club that has adopted it, the other one was initially released as part of a musical and had no links to football.
One song is about the area in which the football team that has adopted it comes from, the other one isn't about the area that the club comes from.

As far as football anthems go, Sunshine On Leith really ticks all the boxes that You'll Never Walk Alone can only dream about.

😂😂😂🤣Signed......an unbiased Manc lover/Liverpool hater.

Clerie Green
26-03-2018, 08:59 PM

This . GGTTH :flag:

Sir David Gray
26-03-2018, 09:23 PM
😂😂😂🤣Signed......an unbiased Manc lover/Liverpool hater.

:faf: Hiya pal. :greengrin

I thought I might see you reply. :wink: :fishin:

Scouse Hibee
26-03-2018, 09:24 PM
:faf: Hiya pal. :greengrin

I thought I might see you reply. :wink: :fishin:

😁

BSEJVT
26-03-2018, 09:25 PM
👍 No apology required mate, no harm done.

indeed

Sir David Gray
26-03-2018, 09:33 PM
😁

Take me home, country roads.

Now, that's a song. :greengrin

Austinho
26-03-2018, 09:41 PM

As far as football anthems go, Sunshine On Leith really ticks all the boxes that You'll Never Walk Alone can only dream about.If YNWA wasn’t several decades old and didn’t have the emotion and poignancy that is now associated with it, then there would be no contest. It’s the history of the song that makes it one of the greats.

In the same way that SoL was made even more poignant after the Mercer takeover attempt, and then us enduring and eventually breaking one of the longest hoodoos in sport.

southsider
26-03-2018, 09:50 PM

It was from a musical, quite possibly Caroselle.

Scouse Hibee
27-03-2018, 05:46 AM
It was from a musical, quite possibly Caroselle.

Yes it was but he is right, it was recorded by Gerry and the Pacemakers in 63 which brought it to the fore as an anthem for Liverpool.

SOL means nothing to most football fans unless they follow Hibs. YNWA is world renowned. Both are special to certain people, SOL is as special to me when watching Hibs as YNWA is to me when watching Liverpool.

calumhibee1
27-03-2018, 06:46 AM

Sums it up for me.