PDA

View Full Version : Scotland Capped Hibs Players

Greenbeard
25-03-2018, 12:44 PM
Following on from comments in the Costa Rica thread about SJM game time, Hanlon, McGeouch chances of selection etc, was looking online for a list of Scotland capped Hibs players i.e. full cap while a Hibee, not ex-Hibs, or ex-Ints coming to Hibs. Lots of VG historical stuff on www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.uk, but no such listing that I could see.

Anyone?

brog
25-03-2018, 03:17 PM
The wee red book used to have a list of all Scotland internationalists. I remember compiling my own Hibs list from it many moons ago.

ancient hibee
25-03-2018, 03:34 PM
For historical ones "The Hibees" by John Mackay,published in 1986,has a list of Hibs players who played internationally including for other countries and the Scottish League,under 23s etc.

The Tubs
25-03-2018, 06:38 PM
Here you go:

http://www.fitbastats.com/scotland/domestic_caps_per_player.php?club=35

heretoday
25-03-2018, 06:50 PM
For historical ones "The Hibees" by John Mackay,published in 1986,has a list of Hibs players who played internationally including for other countries and the Scottish League,under 23s etc.

I'm trying to remember whether players representing the Scottish League had to be Scottish. I assume that they did.

If not that would have made for some interesting games in more recent years. Gazza, Sauzee, Larsson etc

Mikers110
25-03-2018, 07:52 PM
I'm trying to remember whether players representing the Scottish League had to be Scottish. I assume that they did.

If not that would have made for some interesting games in more recent years. Gazza, Sauzee, Larsson etc

Nationality was not considered, all they had to do was play in the Scottish league. Denis Law and John Charles once played for the Italian league against the Scottish league.

A Hi-Bee
25-03-2018, 08:07 PM
Dont think we even had a full time manager until the 1960's sometime. Before that players were picked by a committee, all from the west representing the SfA of the time, (somethings just dont change)

Greenbeard
25-03-2018, 08:18 PM
Here you go:

http://www.fitbastats.com/scotland/domestic_caps_per_player.php?club=35
Braw ta

esjorto
25-03-2018, 08:19 PM
Nationality was not considered, all they had to do was play in the Scottish league. Denis Law and John Charles once played for the Italian league against the Scottish league

That game was for the Italian League and Scottish League so was never given the status of a full International match.

Back then you could only play a full international of the country of your birth (Joe Baker)
If you were born in a Commonwealth country tho, you could play for the country of your father's birth (John Hewie, maybe Richard Gough).
League international matches were really just like today's friendlies.

I think!!

heretoday
25-03-2018, 08:37 PM
I'm sure Eric Stevenson got one Scottish League cap.

CentreLine
25-03-2018, 08:58 PM
Can remember Arthur Duncan being capped for Scotland. Pleasantly surprised to see his name on that list

brog
25-03-2018, 09:00 PM
I'm sure Eric Stevenson got one Scottish League cap.

IIRC he played against the Irish League in late 60's. I also remember Johnny Graham scoring against English League & I think Alan Gordon got a league cap in about 1973. Again IIRC whole Hibs forward line was selected but 2, or more, had to drop out.

Austinho
25-03-2018, 11:40 PM
Anyone know who our most capped player of all time is, irrespective of nationality? I know Mixu is the 5th most called Fin of all time.

cabbageandribs1875
26-03-2018, 12:21 AM
eddie turnbull 9 caps
willie ormond 6 caps
john brownlie 7 caps

i'm old enough to think it was danny McGrain(sellick) that would keep britains real best right back out of the Scotland teams(due to the GFA not selecting him) but how on earth did Turnbull and Ormond only muster 15 caps between them :confused: bizarre

1875godsgift
26-03-2018, 12:33 AM
Anyone know who our most capped player of all time is, irrespective of nationality? I know Mixu is the 5th most called Fin of all time.

Must be a goalie surely, Leighton or Goram maybe?

Speedy
26-03-2018, 07:25 AM
Must be a goalie surely, Leighton or Goram maybe?

I'd take a punt at De la Cruz. He had loads of caps from memory.

No idea who had most while at Hibs right enough.

Edit: Or Latapy maybe. It'll be someone from a smaller nation.

teabag
26-03-2018, 07:40 AM

I'd take a stab at Jonatan Johansson. 106 caps for Finland

Austinho
26-03-2018, 08:01 AM
I'd take a stab at Jonatan Johansson. 106 caps for FinlandVery good shout.

Ulises de la Cruz has 101 caps.

Lawrie Reilly has the most caps while playing at Hibs, with 38 Scotland appearances.

KWJ
26-03-2018, 10:15 AM
eddie turnbull 9 caps
willie ormond 6 caps
john brownlie 7 caps

i'm old enough to think it was danny McGrain(sellick) that would keep britains real best right back out of the Scotland teams(due to the GFA not selecting him) but how on earth did Turnbull and Ormond only muster 15 caps between them :confused: bizarre

I'd take a guess that we played a lot less games back then and maybe availability was more difficult. Turnbull represented Scotland at the 1958 World Cup in Sweden. Matt Busby was meant to manage us in the competition but was injured in the Munich Air disaster.

brog
26-03-2018, 11:38 AM
eddie turnbull 9 caps
willie ormond 6 caps
john brownlie 7 caps

Danny McGrain was only capped after John Brownlie was injured despite JB being a year or 2 younger, that's how good the man was. Re Turnbull & Ormond, the Yams terrible trio only gained 6 caps amongst them, equal to the lowest capped member of the FF. Now anything that puts Yams down is fine by me but I would have thought that Conn, Bauld & Wardhaugh deserved more than that paltry number, especially as JW was a true gentleman & a closet Hibby!

Wheat Hound
26-03-2018, 11:41 AM
Gary Caldwell got 20 Scotland caps whilst playing for us??!!!

CentreLine
26-03-2018, 11:42 AM
Danny McGrain was only capped after John Brownlie was injured despite JB being a year or 2 younger, that's how good the man was. Re Turnbull & Ormond, the Yams terrible trio only gained 6 caps amongst them, equal to the lowest capped member of the FF. Now anything that puts Yams down is fine by me but I would have thought that Conn, Bauld & Wardhaugh deserved more than that paltry number, especially as JW was a true gentleman & a closet Hibby!

we had a lot less international matches back then and it was only competitive games that awarded caps IIRC

Sauzee16
26-03-2018, 11:43 AM
Very good shout.

Ulises de la Cruz has 101 caps.

Lawrie Reilly has the most caps while playing at Hibs, with 38 Scotland appearances.

The Tank has 74 caps :greengrin:greengrin

JimBHibees
26-03-2018, 01:20 PM
I'd take a stab at Jonatan Johansson. 106 caps for Finland

Did he actually play for Hibs though? :greengrin

brog
26-03-2018, 03:28 PM
we had a lot less international matches back then and it was only competitive games that awarded caps IIRC

I know that but it didn't stop Willie Waddell, Alex Scott & Willie Thornton gaining a total of 42 caps in the same era. I'm sure the fact they played for The Rangers is purely coincidental.

Kato
26-03-2018, 03:31 PM

In Eddie Turnbulls' book he explains his lack of caps being down a run in with a member of the Scotland selection committee. He was told he would never be capped again and wasn't until the guy croaked.

cabbageandribs1875
26-03-2018, 04:25 PM
I'd take a guess that we played a lot less games back then and maybe availability was more difficult. Turnbull represented Scotland at the 1958 World Cup in Sweden. Matt Busby was meant to manage us in the competition but was injured in the Munich Air disaster.

In Eddie Turnbulls' book he explains his lack of caps being down a run in with a member of the Scotland selection committee. He was told he would never be capped again and wasn't until the guy croaked.

everyday's a skool day on .net, thanks for the info guys :agree:

i've lost count the number of older fans than me have mentioned over the years that for some year of the world cup(not sure which year) that if Scotland had played the rangers defence and the hibs forward line we would have won the damn thing :greengrin also whilst googling a bit i didn't realise Austria were the first 'foreign' country to beat Scotland on home soil in 1950

jgl07
26-03-2018, 08:31 PM
IIRC he played against the Irish League in late 60's. I also remember Johnny Graham scoring against English League & I think Alan Gordon got a league cap in about 1973. Again IIRC whole Hibs forward line was selected but 2, or more, had to drop out.

I gather that the Irish League regularly played matches against the League of Ireland.

On one occasion they both wanted to play in Green strips.

Someone asked "How will we tell who is who?"

"Sure, we will be able to tell" said the Irish League representative!

ancient hibee
26-03-2018, 08:59 PM
everyday's a skool day on .net, thanks for the info guys :agree:

i've lost count the number of older fans than me have mentioned over the years that for some year of the world cup(not sure which year) that if Scotland had played the rangers defence and the hibs forward line we would have won the damn thing :greengrin also whilst googling a bit i didn't realise Austria were the first 'foreign' country to beat Scotland on home soil in 1950
In 1954 Rangers were touring the USA so they wouldn’t allow any of their players take part in the World Cup.