PDA

View Full Version : Ex Players. Where are they now?

Austinho
25-03-2018, 01:08 AM
I was shocked to see on the goalkeeper thread that our keeper in the late 90s Oli Gottskálksson had ran into legal troubles over the last few years. Shame to see really, proving it’s often tough adapting to a new life after being a professional footballer.

In March 2010 Ólafur was sentenced to a ten months prison term in Iceland for housebreaking, robbery and violent attack. In October 2011 he was sentenced to additional four months in prison for similar charges, including serious violence.

On 25 July 2016, he was arrested after a police chase for driving under influences with his five-year-old son in the backseat. He checked into rehab on 4 August but was rushed to the National University Hospital of Iceland two days later due to internal bleeding and broken ribs, injuries he claimed he sustained when the police arrested him.

Michael O’Neill has been one of the big success stories after playing with Hibs - going on to transform Northern Ireland and doing well in the Euros.

John Collins won the League Cup with us in 2007, is now assistant manager at Celtic, and is often seen as a pundit on Sky Sports and Champions League.

Anyone gone on to big successes or living modest lives after playing for Hibs?

CallumLaidlaw
25-03-2018, 01:21 AM
Cup legend Niklas Gunnarsson recently qualified for Europe with Djurgĺrdens

League cup winning goalkeeper Andy McNeil left Morton in 2017 to move to China to become reserve team goalkeeping coach at Guangzhou R&F

Ulises De La Cruz left Hibs in 2002 to go on to play for Aston Villa, Reading and L.D.U. Quito in Equador. He retired in February 2013, and in the Ecuadorian general election of 2013 De la Cruz was chosen as member of the National Assembly for Carchi Province. De la Cruz serves as member of PAIS Alliance. Agustín Delgado and Iván Hurtado, former team-mates of De la Cruz for the national team, also serve for the PAIS Alliance in the National Assembly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Austinho
25-03-2018, 09:44 AM
Ray Wilkins unfortunately one of the more high profile. Made an MBE, became a pundit for Sky Sports as well as a co-commentator for Premier League games, as well as being caretaker manager at Chelsea, and assistant to Scolari, Ancelloti.

Grant Brebner still lives in Australia after his stint in the A-League and now coaches Melbourne Victory.

Hibs Class
25-03-2018, 09:47 AM
Ray Wilkins unfortunately one of the more high profile. Made an MBE, became a pundit for Sky Sports as well as a co-commentator for Premier League games, as well as being caretaker manager at Chelsea, and assistant to Scolari, Ancelloti.

Grant Brebner still lives in Australia after his stint in the A-League and now coaches Melbourne Victory.

Wilkins has also managed to fit at least a couple of drink driving convictions into his post-playing career.

Northernhibee
25-03-2018, 09:48 AM
Brian Grant owned two chains of McDonalds before selling up to become a youth coach at Dundee United. Nice chap who spoke well of Hibs.

BoomtownHibees
25-03-2018, 09:59 AM
I was shocked to see on the goalkeeper thread that our keeper in the late 90s Oli Gottskálksson had ran into legal troubles over the last few years. Shame to see really, proving it’s often tough adapting to a new life after being a professional footballer.

Michael O’Neill has been one of the big success stories after playing with Hibs - going on to transform Northern Ireland and doing well in the Euros.

John Collins won the League Cup with us in 2007, is now assistant manager at Celtic, and is often seen as a pundit on Sky Sports and Champions League.

John Collins isn’t assistant at Celtc

AltheHibby
25-03-2018, 12:35 PM
I think Benny Brazil drives for Lothian Buses and Keith Wright was an estate agent.

Billy Whizz
25-03-2018, 12:39 PM
Chris Jackson and Steve Cowan jointly own a financial services business

KdyHby
25-03-2018, 12:42 PM
Chris Jackson

Didn't Chris also have a decent house rental portfolio?

Gaz
25-03-2018, 01:14 PM
Is Lee power not very successful in the printing industry now ??

eastmainsmsh
25-03-2018, 01:19 PM

is he no chairman at pat fenlons club as well

Green forever
25-03-2018, 01:21 PM
He owns Waterford FC and has a controlling interest in Swindon Town where he is chairman.
He employed Pat Fenlon as director of football at Waterford but Pat is now in charge of worldwide operations for Lee Power.

Mr White
25-03-2018, 01:33 PM
He owns Waterford FC and has a controlling interest in Swindon Town where he is chairman.
He employed Pat Fenlon as director of football at Waterford but Pat is now in charge of worldwide operations for Lee Power.

Interesting. I noticed they've made an impressive start in the LOI premier league but didn't realise Power or Fenlon had any involvement.

Michael
25-03-2018, 01:42 PM
When John O'Neil came on at half-time I think I heard that he drives lorrys.

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-03-2018, 01:50 PM
John Collins isn’t assistant at Celtc

That had me a tad confused I must admit.

Sauzee16
25-03-2018, 02:10 PM
Jay Sheilds has a ruling business.

Pretty Boy
25-03-2018, 02:38 PM
I was in Alex Cropleys taxi a couple of years back. Was blethering away about Hibs and seemed a decent guy.

It shows how football has changed that a guy who left Hibs for Arsenal then spent the next 6 years in England winning a major trophy in the process is driving a taxi for a living. If that happened now the player would return a multi millionaire.

Sir David Gray

Collins left Celtic almost 2 years ago when Ronny Deila left.

Pretty Boy
When John O'Neil came on at half-time I think I heard that he drives lorrys.

He does. Delivers to my mates work often.

HibbyAndy
25-03-2018, 02:41 PM
Anyone ken what Pat Mcginlay does nowadays ? Seems to have slipped off the face of the earth , One of my favourite ever players , Very very underrated player

WoreTheGreen
25-03-2018, 02:49 PM
Jay Sheilds has a ruling business.

Tiler

Sauzee16
25-03-2018, 02:53 PM
Tiler

Yeah I meant tiling - predictive text.

makaveli1875
25-03-2018, 02:57 PM
Anyone ken what Pat Mcginlay does nowadays ? Seems to have slipped off the face of the earth , One of my favourite ever players , Very very underrated player

Cambuslang man and former Hibs star Pat McGinlay says players should plan for life after footballTHE coach at Cambuslang FC 2008s is running a successful cleaning business after retiring from the professional game.

lord bunberry
25-03-2018, 02:58 PM
I remember reading that he had a cleaning business, I’m not sure if he still does.

HibbyAndy
25-03-2018, 03:01 PM
Cambuslang man and former Hibs star Pat McGinlay says players should plan for life after footballTHE coach at Cambuslang FC 2008s is running a successful cleaning business after retiring from the professional game.

:aok:

Good stuff , Should have got more than 1 Scotland B cap in his career

Hibs and Pat were a great match , He got Hibs

WoreTheGreen
25-03-2018, 04:34 PM
Yeah I meant tiling - predictive text.

Side note i guy I know calls his buisness Bonnie Tiler

Sauzee16
25-03-2018, 05:50 PM
😁

jacomo
25-03-2018, 06:42 PM
Cup legend Niklas Gunnarsson recently qualified for Europe with Djurgĺrdens

League cup winning goalkeeper Andy McNeil left Morton in 2017 to move to China to become reserve team goalkeeping coach at Guangzhou R&F

Ulises De La Cruz left Hibs in 2002 to go on to play for Aston Villa, Reading and L.D.U. Quito in Equador. He retired in February 2013, and in the Ecuadorian general election of 2013 De la Cruz was chosen as member of the National Assembly for Carchi Province. De la Cruz serves as member of PAIS Alliance. Agustín Delgado and Iván Hurtado, former team-mates of De la Cruz for the national team, also serve for the PAIS Alliance in the National Assembly.

:aok:

jgl07
25-03-2018, 06:45 PM
I was in Alex Cropleys taxi a couple of years back. Was blethering away about Hibs and seemed a decent guy.

I used to drink in Alex Cropley's pub when I lived in Iona Street in the 1980s.

JoeT_WasTheBest
25-03-2018, 06:51 PM
I think Benny Brazil drives for Lothian Buses and Keith Wright was an estate agent.

Keith Wright worked as Football Development Officer at Midlothian Council for years, but moved to Broughton High a few to work as an Elite Coach with the SFA I think.

Joe6-2
25-03-2018, 06:59 PM
Wilkins has also managed to fit at least a couple of drink driving convictions into his post-playing career.

Dic*head

CockneyRebel
25-03-2018, 07:04 PM
I used to drink in Alex Cropley's pub when I lived in Iona Street in the 1980s.

He drove a taxi for a good few years and a recent poster said he was picked up by him so he is probably still doing it.

eastmainsmsh
25-03-2018, 07:16 PM
http://www.visir.is/g/2016160809795

WoreTheGreen
25-03-2018, 07:16 PM
He is see him lots glasses on top of his heid . His brother Tam was a coach at Nitten star a great guy

25-03-2018, 07:29 PM
Sam Morrow?

Austinho
25-03-2018, 09:54 PM
Paul Fenwick is a physiotherapist with the Canadian National team

John Hughes managed the Hibees, Falkirk, Inverness, Raith etc.
Mixu managed the Hibees, Kilmarnock, Dundee United and Finland etc.

Ross Campbell is an amazing photographer, don’t think it’s his job though https://www.instagram.com/rossco_47

bob12345
25-03-2018, 11:39 PM
Stuart Lovell - PFA Scotland
Mickey Weir - Taxi driver
Garry O’Connor, Kevin Thomson and Kevin Harper - All run private football coaching companies.
Tommy McIntyre - Celtic U20s coach
Tam McManus - BBC pundit

edinburghhibee
26-03-2018, 02:43 AM
He is see him lots glasses on top of his heid . His brother Tam was a coach at Nitten star a great guy

I worked with tam at ford laidlaw back in the day. Saw him recently at a friends funeral as you say good guy and from what I hear was just as good a footballer if not better than his brother

Fanforlife
26-03-2018, 10:21 AM
Keith Wright worked as Football Development Officer at Midlothian Council for years, but moved to Broughton High a few to work as an Elite Coach with the SFA I think.Your spot on with that.😁

WestStandWillie
26-03-2018, 10:57 AM
Willie Jamieson is a bus driver also

Billy Whizz
26-03-2018, 11:03 AM
Think the Dempsey brothers are in Finance too

Sauzee16
26-03-2018, 11:04 AM
Sam Morrow?

He's an agent (Dean Sheils for one) and a Scout down South.

JimBHibees
26-03-2018, 11:13 AM

Used to be when previous manager was in charge.

Billy Whizz
26-03-2018, 11:17 AM
Met Alan Maybury at a development game recently
Coaches Hearts youngsters and scouts for Wigan

Sauzee16
26-03-2018, 11:32 AM
Nick Colgan is the goalie coach at Wigan after harshly gutting punted from Huddersfield when they went up last season.

Latapy is the assistant manager of Trinidad.

Stephen Glass is a coach at Carolina Rapids

beensaidbefore
26-03-2018, 04:44 PM
Willie Jamieson is a bus driver also

Allegedly used to stay at my grans when he was a lad. She is long gone sadly so can't corroborate that unfortunately.

pacoluna
26-03-2018, 05:04 PM
Not Hibs related but Gerry britton become a defence lawyer and rose to the top, remember seeing him on the nat Fraser murder trial (first ever to be broadcasted on TV in scotland) he also represented Garry O'Connor before returning to partick to coach, the position becoming available and funded through investment from lottery winners the Weirs.

Iceman1875
26-03-2018, 05:27 PM
Colin Murdock is a lawyer I’m sure in and around Manchester.

McD
26-03-2018, 07:47 PM
I worked with tam at ford laidlaw back in the day. Saw him recently at a friends funeral as you say good guy and from what I hear was just as good a footballer if not better than his brother

thats what my dad has always said

eastterrace
26-03-2018, 07:59 PM
He drove a taxi for a good few years and a recent poster said he was picked up by him so he is probably still doing it.

Me and the wife use to drink in crops at that time in the eighties , it was a good boozer but rubbish beer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is It On....
26-03-2018, 08:10 PM
Stuart Lovell - PFA Scotland
Mickey Weir - Taxi driver
Garry O’Connor, Kevin Thomson and Kevin Harper - All run private football coaching companies.
Tommy McIntyre - Celtic U20s coach
Tam McManus - BBC pundit

Mickey Weir - great player for Hibs. Remember him scoring at Aberdeen in the season opener after we fought of the Mercer take-over. He also crossed the ball at Hampden when Keith "rose like an angel" to nod it in the Rangers (defunct team from Glasgow) net 😎

Scouse Hibee
26-03-2018, 08:35 PM
Some of these guys mentioned had very decent careers yet there are guys on the fringes of many English teams who earn fantastic money without making the first team regularly.

JimBHibees
27-03-2018, 06:49 AM
Some of these guys mentioned had very decent careers yet there are guys on the fringes of many English teams who earn fantastic money without making the first team regularly.

Absolutely criminal that can happen, kids can basically never get anywhere near a first tam game in the premier league in England and be a multi millionaire. Something definitely not right with that. Feruz at Chelsea probably a reasonable example of that. The older generation players must be gutted they were born at the wrong time financially.

Billy Whizz
27-03-2018, 08:50 AM
Colin Murdock is a lawyer I’m sure in and around Manchester.

He’s a players agent as well

Just Jimmy
27-03-2018, 09:35 AM
Some of these guys mentioned had very decent careers yet there are guys on the fringes of many English teams who earn fantastic money without making the first team regularly.Someone was telling me a story the other day. Basically some kid of their loosely related family is on the books at Liverpool. He was 17 or 18 and earning 20k a week and had never played just simply punted out on loan. Obviously it's not a flawless source but it's also not unbelievable either.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Evergreen86
27-03-2018, 11:10 AM
Ross Campbell is mechanical engineer for an aerospace company and a hugely talented photographer. One for the pub quiz that! Top lad.

Peevemor
27-03-2018, 04:49 PM
Allegedly used to stay at my grans when he was a lad. She is long gone sadly so can't corroborate that unfortunately.Is he not from Oxgangs? He was 4 years above me at Firrhill.

beensaidbefore
27-03-2018, 04:56 PM
Is he not from Oxgangs? He was 4 years above me at Firrhill.

That ties in mate. My gran was the wee woman with the curly white hair, who worked in Ewart's/Finn's at the top shops.

WoreTheGreen
27-03-2018, 05:16 PM
Is he not from Oxgangs? He was 4 years above me at Firrhill.

Yeah Willie was from oxgangs he was 6ft and built like a brick Levien at first year at Firhill frightening to play against