PDA

View Full Version : Tenerife strip

Billy Whizz
24-03-2018, 08:10 PM
Over in Tenerife for a few days. Bought the Tenerife strip as a present for someone
What’s the link with the St Andrews cross, which appears on their strip?

Frazerbob
24-03-2018, 08:15 PM
St Andrew is their patron saint also. As well as Ukraine, Russia, Georgia, Greece, Cyprus, Barbados and others.

Big_Franck
24-03-2018, 08:15 PM
Over in Tenerife for a few days. Bought the Tenerife strip as a present for someone

The flag of the island of tenerife is the same as the saltire.

The yellow, white and blue tricolour you'll also see about is the flag of the canary islands.

hibee
24-03-2018, 08:16 PM
That’s the Tenerife flag.

bingo70
24-03-2018, 08:18 PM

Tenerife flag is also the St. Andrew’s Cross.

(Not sure if it’s also called the St. Andrew’s Cross or if it just looks the same)

bingo70
24-03-2018, 08:19 PM
St Andrew is their patron saint also. As well as Ukraine, Russia, Georgia, Greece, Cyprus, Barbados and others.

To do that amount of traveling before the likes of Ryanair and easyJet is pretty impressive, fair play to him.

thebakerboy
24-03-2018, 08:21 PM
There are a couple of theories , one is that it was inspired by some brave Scottish sailors in a battle at Tenerife , my favourite and the other is it has some Scottish Masonic connection.

brianmc
24-03-2018, 08:28 PM
Mind you, I'd rather go to Tenerife than Birmingham, UK - where the team play in blue and white at a ground called St Andrew's!

Bostonhibby
25-03-2018, 08:46 AM
To do that amount of traveling before the likes of Ryanair and easyJet is pretty impressive, fair play to him.Journeyman. Not Hibs class etc.[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

BoomtownHibees
25-03-2018, 08:59 AM
Veronica’s?

DH1875
25-03-2018, 09:07 AM
They've got a club shop across the road from aqualand and it sells all sorts of stuff with the saltire on. You'd think you were in the Scotland shop :greengrin

Colr
25-03-2018, 09:13 AM

Not Georgia, I don’t think.

NORTHERNHIBBY
25-03-2018, 09:58 AM
I picked up the pink third strip when I was over there last year. I have a few now. Worth a visit up to Santa Cruz to see them play at home.

blackpoolhibs
25-03-2018, 10:00 AM
I picked up the pink third strip when I was over there last year. I have a few now. Worth a visit up to Santa Cruz to see them play at home.

Cant remember what bar it is that runs buses up to the games, but they are a great day out on the lash.

Mostly brits looking for a football fix and a day out drinking with friends away from the Mrs. :greengrin

Billy Whizz
25-03-2018, 10:07 AM
Cant remember what bar it is that runs buses up to the games, but they are a great day out on the lash.

Mostly brits looking for a football fix and a day out drinking with friends away from the Mrs. :greengrin

Think they are playing tonight, should have looked earlier, or I would have gone

Glory Lurker
25-03-2018, 10:17 AM
Not Georgia, I don’t think.

Think you could have a point there

Renfrew_Hibby
25-03-2018, 12:50 PM

Pretty sure the patron Saint of Georgia 🇬🇪 would be St.George.
Clues in the name and flag.

Michael
25-03-2018, 01:10 PM

I bloody love Andrewland.

Bristolhibby
25-03-2018, 01:12 PM

Think you are right. There’s a massive golden George and Dragon in the central square.

J

cabbageandribs1875
25-03-2018, 01:36 PM
God bless saint andrew :saltireflag

Frazerbob
25-03-2018, 01:44 PM
Having visited the place, I can assure all the mockers that St Andrew is A patron saint of Georgia. Seems, like many places, they have more than one. They celebrate St Andrew’s day on May 12th with a public holiday.

I await the apologies.

Craig_HFC
26-03-2018, 11:26 AM
Tenerife flag is also the St. Andrew’s Cross.

(Not sure if it’s also called the St. Andrew’s Cross or if it just looks the same)

I think they call it the El Sainto Andrewso Crosso

:whistle:

Bristolhibby
26-03-2018, 11:35 AM
Having visited the place, I can assure all the mockers that St Andrew is A patron saint of Georgia. Seems, like many places, they have more than one. They celebrate St Andrew’s day on May 12th with a public holiday.

I await the apologies.

My apologies!

Here’s his wiki list of what he is the patron of (not sure how one allocates yourself to patronhood.)

Scotland, Barbados, Georgia, Ukraine, Russia, Sicily, Greece, Cyprus, Romania, Patras, San Andrés (Tenerife), Diocese of Parañaque, Telhado (pt), Amalfi, Luqa (Malta) and Prussia; Diocese of Victoria; fishermen, fishmongers and rope-makers, textile workers, singers, miners, pregnant women, butchers, farm workers, protection against sore throats, protection against convulsions, protection against fever, protection against whooping cough

WeeRussell
26-03-2018, 11:43 AM

I await the apologies.

You may be waiting a while. Is it not the case that although they do indeed celebrate and take a public holiday (maybe twice a year in fact) and probably acknowledge the day better than our own country.. that there is simply a strong association between Georgia and St Andrew, but St George remains the only ‘Patron Saint’.

I’m not yet convinced anyone is owe you an apology, regardless of
How many times you have visited the place. I remain open to persuasion however!

Liberal Hibby
26-03-2018, 12:18 PM
My apologies!

Here’s his wiki list of what he is the patron of (not sure how one allocates yourself to patronhood.)
, pregnant women,h

Now I'm not religious but I think there's something not quite right with a patron saint of pregnant women - just what did he do to get the title?

Bristolhibby
26-03-2018, 01:32 PM
Now I'm not religious but I think there's something not quite right with a patron saint of pregnant women - just what did he do to get the title?

Bless women with his holy water.

Frazerbob
26-03-2018, 02:11 PM
My apologies!

Scotland, Barbados, Georgia, Ukraine, Russia, Sicily, Greece, Cyprus, Romania, Patras, San Andrés (Tenerife), Diocese of Parañaque, Telhado (pt), Amalfi, Luqa (Malta) and Prussia; Diocese of Victoria; fishermen, fishmongers and rope-makers, textile workers, singers, miners, pregnant women, butchers, farm workers, protection against sore throats, protection against convulsions, protection against fever, protection against whooping cough

Thanks pal

Frazerbob
26-03-2018, 02:13 PM
You may be waiting a while. Is it not the case that although they do indeed celebrate and take a public holiday (maybe twice a year in fact) and probably acknowledge the day better than our own country.. that there is simply a strong association between Georgia and St Andrew, but St George remains the only ‘Patron Saint’.

I’m not yet convinced anyone is owe you an apology, regardless of
How many times you have visited the place. I remain open to persuasion however!

Good to see a man able to admit when they are in the wrong, takes a bit of class IMHO. Haha

IWasThere2016
26-03-2018, 02:33 PM

Nice..

Hope the sun is shining and it's warm.. I'm in Treefy for first time next week