PDA

View Full Version : International weekends

hibsbollah
24-03-2018, 08:39 AM
I hate them. The normal weekend feasting on Hibs and watching football from around the world is rudely interrupted. Don't like formula one, cricket or club rugby, so sport is just off the menu.

Im going to meet a pal for lunch and a few pints, and then do some gardening like an auld geezer. Anyone else got ideas?

hfc rd
24-03-2018, 09:06 AM
I mentioned on one of the other threads could we not have played the rearranged fixture against Hamilton today? McGinn & Marciano are the only two players in the squad away on international duty but they would have been suspended for this fixture anyway so wouldn’t have made a major difference

hibee_girl
24-03-2018, 09:08 AM
I mentioned on one of the other threads could we not have played the rearranged fixture against Hamilton today? McGinn & Marciano are the only two players in the squad away on international duty but they would have been suspended for this fixture anyway so wouldn’t have made a major difference

McGinn wouldn’t have been suspended as it takes 14 days to come into effect.

And we didn’t know Marciano would be banned until last Friday, bit short notice to arrange a game for today.

RossScott1991
24-03-2018, 09:08 AM
Hate it with a passion. Going to spend my weekend binging on a boxset and playing fifa.

Qualifiers and major tournaments are only time international football should be played. Maybe the odd midweek friendly but that’s it.

Sauzee16
24-03-2018, 09:11 AM
I hate them. The normal weekend feasting on Hibs and watching football from around the world is rudely interrupted. Don't like formula one, cricket or club rugby, so sport is just off the menu.

Im going to meet a pal for lunch and a few pints, and then do some gardening like an auld geezer. Anyone else got ideas?

Northern Ireland match on free sports
Irn Bru Cup Final
Boxing later.

Going to a park in Harthill too as is it’s nice out. A turkey Shan day of sport.

Sauzee16
24-03-2018, 09:11 AM
Hate it with a passion. Going to spend my weekend binging on a boxset and playing fifa.

Qualifiers and major tournaments are only time international football should be played. Maybe the odd midweek friendly but that’s it.

I could see the point if it was that the international weekend pish but there’s nothing on today.

Hibeewilly
24-03-2018, 09:17 AM

I would be doing the garden first then the pints Bollah no the other way round !!:agree:

Hiber-nation
24-03-2018, 09:54 AM
Yep I've been miserable since Thursday and it's not changing.

Never mind, Dumbarton v Inverness this afternoon....

hibsbollah
24-03-2018, 09:57 AM
I would be doing the garden first then the pints Bollah no the other way round !!:agree:

Naw, nothing like gardening when you're a few sheets to the wind :greengrin

hfc rd
24-03-2018, 09:58 AM
McGinn wouldn’t have been suspended as it takes 14 days to come into effect.

And we didn’t know Marciano would be banned until last Friday, bit short notice to arrange a game for today.

Ok, I didn’t know that about the McGinn suspension taking 14 days before it kicked in. Anyways him and Marciano wouldn’t have played today as they are both away on international duty.

The game would have been announced before Friday night when we played St Johnstone though. The rearranged game against Hamilton was announced early this month before the Edinburgh derby. That was 2 weeks ago which is plenty of notice and we would have more chance of selling out on a Saturday 3pm than a midweek 7.45pm kickoff.

Eyrie
24-03-2018, 10:31 AM
Just posted this on the other thread.

I'm going to watch the NFC title game followed by the SuperBowl this afternoon.

Almost as good as 21/05/16 for this Hibs/Eagles fan.

blackpoolhibs
24-03-2018, 11:17 AM

Do Hamilton have any players away on international duties, its not as simple as just us having players away.

Sir David Gray
24-03-2018, 11:34 AM
Do Hamilton have any players away on international duties, its not as simple as just us having players away.

No they don't.

hfc rd
24-03-2018, 11:49 AM

Only one player which was the 2nd choice GK - Ryan Fulton

Sir David Gray
24-03-2018, 11:51 AM
This is also the 4th Saturday in a row without any football for us. That has to be the longest run, mid-season, that we've gone through without any Saturday football.

If the forecast for next week is correct, there's no guarantees that the Partick Thistle game will be on either.

LustForLeith
24-03-2018, 01:13 PM
This is also the 4th Saturday in a row without any football for us. That has to be the longest run, mid-season, that we've gone through without any Saturday football.

If the forecast for next week is correct, there's no guarantees that the Partick Thistle game will be on either.

Don’t say that!!!

I hate international weekends. Daughters birthday so I’ve eaten a birthday cake all to myself to try and cheer myself up

Forza Fred
25-03-2018, 02:31 AM
It’s the opposite here in Oz.

We don’t stop for international weekends and teams don’t get postponements.

Can lead to weakened teams taking the field and many clubs are trying to change it so we DO have a break on international weekends.

Sir David Gray
25-03-2018, 09:13 AM
It’s the opposite here in Oz.

We don’t stop for international weekends and teams don’t get postponements.

Can lead to weakened teams taking the field and many clubs are trying to change it so we DO have a break on international weekends.

What do you do if you are like Celtic and the majority of your first team squad is away with their countries?

If Celtic had been playing this weekend, the only players who could have played from last week's starting XI would have been Scott Bain, Scott Brown and Odsonne Edouard.

That hardly seems fair.

Forza Fred
25-03-2018, 10:05 AM
What do you do if you are like Celtic and the majority of your first team squad is away with their countries?

If Celtic had been playing this weekend, the only players who could have played from last week's starting XI would have been Scott Bain, Scott Brown and Odsonne Edouard.

That hardly seems fair.

I agree, and hence why most clubs want it changed...but just like elsewhere fitba out here is a slave of the tv company who basically bankrolls it.

Wellington really cop it, as they have 4 or 5 usually in the Enzed team.

I remember one game when they had 5 out in the national squad and being certainties in my opinion to get beat I bet against them.

They actually won....something strange even when they have a full side out!

Forza Fred
25-03-2018, 10:09 AM

That hardly seems fair.

Should have also pointed out too, that as there is a ‘salary cap’ in operation the ‘good’ players tend to be less concentrated than in Scotland.

Also other than the Australian squad, and Enzed, there not too many other internationalists down here who get call ups.......and most of the Oz squad are Europe or Asia based.

frazeHFC
25-03-2018, 10:30 AM
Normally hate a weekend with no Hibs but a trip to Budapest will more than do. 🍻

Eyrie
25-03-2018, 11:57 AM

That hardly seems fair.

I'd agree that it's not fair, so there has to be a postponement.

But Celtc are the wrong example because their squad is deep enough that, even with their internationals missing, they'd be a match for any team outwith the top six.

Col2
25-03-2018, 12:31 PM
It’s a joke. I didn’t even watch the Scotland game on Friday night, I have sky and I was in the house but didn’t even consider it. I stumbled across the result later that night.

Even when Hibs are not playing or play on Friday night, you still have the other games or even the English premiership.

Fair enough if it’s qualifiers but bloody pointless ****ty friendlies.

Jack Hackett
25-03-2018, 01:30 PM
The thing is, it isn't just a weekend. No games the previous midweek or the following. Like Col2, I haven't watched anything on offer bar a brief 10 min look-in on Germany v Spain. The clubs don't seem to mind the break though, or we'd be seeing loads of club friendlies being arranged

tamig
25-03-2018, 01:51 PM
Should have also pointed out too, that as there is a ‘salary cap’ in operation the ‘good’ players tend to be less concentrated than in Scotland.

Also other than the Australian squad, and Enzed, there not too many other internationalists down here who get call ups.......and most of the Oz squad are Europe or Asia based.
Are there many home based players in the Oz squad?

Sauzee16
25-03-2018, 02:08 PM
Dundee swimming pool is highly recommended.

RossScott1991
25-03-2018, 02:51 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYu2CI_Tbfg

been missing footy that much this weekend, and hibs that i actually found on youtube the full match to this game and watched the full thing! remember this game like it was yesterday. watching it though i completely forgot it was the match stevenson was hooked by collins after 30mins

Sir David Gray
25-03-2018, 04:15 PM
Are there many home based players in the Oz squad?

There's 4 players in the current Australia squad who play their club football in Australia.

MSK
25-03-2018, 04:41 PM
Normally hate a weekend with no Hibs but a trip to Budapest will more than do. 🍻Lucky ******* 😆 brill city