PDA

View Full Version : Best and worst Hibs goalkeepers

Austinho
24-03-2018, 06:40 AM
The Proclaimers once sang “I can understand why Stranraer lie so lowly. They could save a lot of points by signing Hibs goalie”

Unfortunately this line hasn’t always been the case, and we’ve had some shockers over the years too. Tony Mowbray in particular seemed to have a blind spot for keepers. Especially in derbies it seemed.

Conrad Logan and Daniel Andersson both Hampden heroes for us in recent years, whereas Zibi Malkowski was obviously a Hampden zero.

So who’s been the top 5 best and the worst?

Allant1981
24-03-2018, 07:02 AM
top 5 for me
leighton
williams
colgan
andersson
and logan only for the scottish cup games

worst
simon brown
zibi
makalamby
caig
gottskalksson

Sauzee16
24-03-2018, 07:04 AM
Andy Goram - best
Tony Caig - worst

hibsbollah
24-03-2018, 07:04 AM
top 5 for me
leighton
williams
colgan
andersson

worst
simon brown
zibi
makalamby
caig
gottskalksson

No Goram? Best we've ever had imo.

Allant1981
24-03-2018, 07:05 AM

i hadnt started watching hibs when goram played so didnt know how good he actually was then

Forza Fred
24-03-2018, 07:12 AM
Best. Ronnie Simpson

Worst Makalamby and Zibi

Jack Ferrigan
24-03-2018, 07:20 AM
Best. Ronnie Simpson

Worst Makalamby and Zibi

I agree.
Did Ronnie Simpson hold the record for penalties saved in one season? 9 possibly? Just before Jock Stein took him to Celtic.

baggio70
24-03-2018, 07:22 AM
best goalie by far , Andy Goram
Worst - there’s been to many

MacGruber
24-03-2018, 07:59 AM
Rocky is in with the best for me. Maybe we will feel that more after he leaves

Best
Goram
Leighton
Anderson
Marciano
Williams

Worst
Gotskalksson
Craig
Makalamby
Zibi
Simon brown

IGRIGI
24-03-2018, 08:07 AM
Top 5

Goram
Leighton
Colgan
Rocky
Goram

Worst 5

Zibi
Caig
Simon Brown
Graeme Smith
Makalamby

snooky
24-03-2018, 08:11 AM
Best: Ronnie Simpson, then Goram
Worst: Zibi, then Zibi

PatHead
24-03-2018, 08:32 AM
Surprised no one has mentioned Rougie

heidtheba
24-03-2018, 08:48 AM
In a rush so will do three from my 'era' as a fan;

1 - Leighton
2 - Colgan
3 - Rocky

Worst

3 - Makalamby
2 - Zibi (who was worst for longer)
1 - The goalie who shipped 6 at Motherwell - Smith? I can't remember and don't want to...

Sauzee16
24-03-2018, 08:57 AM
Goram
Leighton
Colgan
Anderson
Rocky

Caig
Brown
Zibi
MaKalambay
Oxley

Sauzee16
24-03-2018, 08:57 AM
In a rush so will do three from my 'era' as a fan;

1 - Leighton
2 - Colgan
3 - Rocky

Worst

3 - Makalamby
2 - Zibi (who was worst for longer)
1 - The goalie who shipped 6 at Motherwell - Smith? I can't remember and don't want to...

Wee Buzz. Forgot about him.

hfc rd
24-03-2018, 08:58 AM
Best:

Goram
Leighton
Andersson
Marciano
Logan (simply for the Scottish Cup)

Worst:

Zibi
Caig
Simon Brown
Graeme Smith
Makalambay

rossevenil
24-03-2018, 09:02 AM
Top 5
1/Goram
2/Leighton
3/Colgan
4/Budgie Burridge
5/Anderson/Stack

Worst
1/Malkowski
2/Brown
3/Olli
4/Caig
5/Mcneill

Nameless
24-03-2018, 10:12 AM
In my time watching Hibs;

BEST
Goram, Leighton, Anderson, Logan, Marciano.

WORST
Zibi, McNeil, Simon Brown.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Fanforlife
24-03-2018, 10:43 AM
Top 3 in order.
Andy Goram.
Jim Leighton.
Alan Rough.

OxoHibby
24-03-2018, 11:04 AM

This in my lifetime

OxoHibby
24-03-2018, 11:07 AM

Great shot stopper. Nightmare at a cross ball

1van Sprou7e
24-03-2018, 12:01 PM
Are people seriously listing Ben Williams as one of our best ever goalies? Or is there another Williams that I don't know about

Must be one of the most overrated Hibs players for years

CraigHibee
24-03-2018, 12:08 PM
Top 5

Goram
Leighton
Colgan
Rocky
Goram

Worst 5

Zibi
Caig
Simon Brown
Graeme Smith
Makalamby

Sure there was a song about there being 2 Andy Gorams 😁

Allant1981
24-03-2018, 12:30 PM
Are people seriously listing Ben Williams as one of our best ever goalies? Or is there another Williams that I don't know about

ben williams was a good keeper, very solid

WoreTheGreen
24-03-2018, 12:34 PM
Wee Buzz. Forgot about him.

Came to my door selling skt tv

Pretty Boy
24-03-2018, 12:37 PM
Don't really remember Goram at Hibs so Leighton is the best I recall seeing. He was worth a lot of points to us and it's no coincidence we went down the season after he left.

Worst was Graeme Smith. He had been decent enough at Motherwell but had a torrid time at Brighton and his confidence was shot. I'm still not convinced his performance in the 6-6 game wasn't dodgy.

Killiehibbie
24-03-2018, 12:49 PM
Best keepers
Goram
Leighton
Rough
Logan legend for a couple of games

A few fall into the not too bad category but most of the rest in the last 30 years not very good.

Speedy
24-03-2018, 12:57 PM

For posters under 30-35, he's there or there abouts.

Sauzee16
24-03-2018, 12:57 PM
Came to my door selling skt tv

That would have been a laugh 😆

Dashing Bob S
24-03-2018, 12:59 PM
Goram v Clown

Speedy
24-03-2018, 01:02 PM
Szamatulski worth a mention for the u30s but obviously wasn't here long.

ancient hibee
24-03-2018, 02:23 PM
I agree.
Did Ronnie Simpson hold the record for penalties saved in one season? 9 possibly? Just before Jock Stein took him to Celtic.
Stein sold him to Celtic at a time when he couldn’t get into our team.

Best
Goram
Leslie
Leighton
Younger
Rough

Worst
Wren
Hamilton
Zibi
Maka
Brown

KWJ
24-03-2018, 02:28 PM
Best that I mind seeing

Leighton
Colgan
Andersson
Marciano
The Monk

Worst

Zibi
Caig
S. Brown
G. Smith
Makalambay

zitelli62
24-03-2018, 02:34 PM
Everyone forgetting about budgie what a nutter but a good keeper.

Sauzee16
24-03-2018, 02:43 PM
Everyone forgetting about budgie what a nutter but a good keeper.

He was but if Conrad isn’t getting in my top 5 class wise neither is the Budgie sorry.

tamig
24-03-2018, 02:55 PM

Looks like a lot of young pups on this thread going by some of the replies.

southsider
24-03-2018, 03:17 PM

Was just thinking the same. Fantastic keeper. Gorham and JL were as well. When Craig & Charlie wrote the song about "signing Hibs goalie" Gorham was our keeper.

Sammy7nil
24-03-2018, 06:47 PM
i hadnt started watching hibs when goram played so didnt know how good he actually was then

Leighton was almost at the same time must have missed him by a few weeks :wink:

Sammy7nil
24-03-2018, 06:49 PM
Worst too many to mention.

Top three in no particular order
Leighton
Rough
Goram

Sammy7nil
24-03-2018, 06:52 PM
Don't really remember Goram at Hibs so Leighton is the best I recall seeing. He was worth a lot of points to us and it's no coincidence we went down the season after he left.

Worst was Graeme Smith. He had been decent enough at Motherwell but had a torrid time at Brighton and his confidence was shot. I'm still not convinced his performance in the 6-6 game wasn't dodgy.

He saved a pen do you think dived the wrong way :greengrin

Hulk1875
24-03-2018, 06:56 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43439461

Brechin city not won a game all season and there keeper......... Graeme Smith.

Allant1981
24-03-2018, 07:23 PM

my first game was up in aberdeen in dec 1996, did goram not leave in 1991?

Weir07
24-03-2018, 08:41 PM
Top 3 in order.
Andy Goram.
Jim Leighton.
Alan Rough.

That's the top three in my era for sure, with Goram by far and away the best. Brown, Smith, Malkowski, Caig all dreadful with a special mention for Gottskalksson, a woeful keeper, a Jim Duffy signing if memory serves

24-03-2018, 08:51 PM
Malkowski worst in all my time watching hibs. Says it all when your biggest rivals cheer your keepers name when he's mentioned in your starting XI but you can see why. The amount of goals he gifted away was a joke.

IGRIGI
24-03-2018, 08:59 PM
Oli wasn't content with the standard move into the cab industry after retiring going by his wiki page!..

In March 2010 Ólafur was sentenced to a ten months prison term in Iceland for housebreaking, robbery and violent attack.In October 2011 he was sentenced to additional four months in prison for similar charges, including serious violence.

weecounty hibby
24-03-2018, 09:59 PM
Goram, Leighton, Rough, Andersson, Logan. Rough is almost single handed kept us in the premier league. Conrad for his cup heroics. The others were very good keepers
Zibi, Maka, Smith, Oli the goalie(how ironic is that nickname?) Mike MacDonald. As a kid it always seemed that we lost when he played instead of Jim McArthur, we probably didn’t but that’s what I remember

jgl07
24-03-2018, 10:10 PM

Goram was sold in 1991 and Leighton arrived in 1993.

Budgie and Chris Reid were there between the two.

Bostonhibby
24-03-2018, 11:07 PM
I was always led to believe they were singing about Roughie[emoji6]

Rating the best ones I've seen

Rough

Goram

Leighton

Burridge

MacArthur

Worst

Zibbi

Simon Brown

Smith

Could never work out How to place Jim Herriot simply because of the team he played in. He had games where he shipped a few but was probably underrated because we scored enough to win games where we did concede and were generally attacking most of the time. A competent keeper I guess.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

eastmainsmsh
24-03-2018, 11:24 PM
Best Leighton Worst Mckellar

GreenLake
24-03-2018, 11:24 PM

Many are too young to remember him

Diclonius
24-03-2018, 11:33 PM
Worst shouldn't even be a contest. Zibi isn't just our worst ever goalkeeper, he's our worst ever player.

TelaStella
25-03-2018, 02:36 AM
Goram was before my time and I barely remember Leighton so my experience of hibs keepers isn't great as you'd imagine. Colgan and Anderson were certainly some of the better I've seen but I don't think either were ever as good as some make out. I'm surprised at some of the posts re Williams as I thought he was a very good solid keeper who hardly ever put a foot wrong not to mention the amount of penalties he saved in the 12/13 season. Reckon the season we went down he was arguably our best player and I'd of much rather stuck with him than take Oxley. Graham Stack wasn't nearly as bad as some made out either and was by far the best keeper out of that 5 or so we had under Yogi. Andy McNeil wasn't a shocking keeper either it was his height that let him down. Stepped up to the plate in 2007 as a kid when those around him were horrendous and helped win us a trophy. Macka, Brown etc were all some of the worst I've seen but I don't think I've ever seen a keeper quite like Zibi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
25-03-2018, 06:48 AM
Best by a country mile Andy Goram brilliant shot stopper always got his angles spot on.

Tommy Burns once famously said Andy Goram broke my heart.

We we are a club that until recently always had a reputation for good goalkeepers Harry Rennie, Willie Harper, Tommy Younger, Laurie Leslie , Ronnie Simpson, Alan Rough, Jim Leighton and John Burridge.

These players were followed by a lot of average journeyman goal keepers simply not HIBS class.

The worst of which probably being Makalamity or Zibi Malkowski the vote going to Zibi as his performance against Hearts in that semi final albeit in a weakened team was imo a sackable offence.

I also feel that the jury is still out on Rocky as ok his performances have improved with the introduction of a wee bit competition for his position and he has pulled off some outstanding saves I still get the feeling that he is a disaster waiting to happen.

GGTTH

heretoday
25-03-2018, 06:50 AM
Ronnie Simpson was the best and it's just as well because the defence in front of him was awful.

When Turnbull's team started to unravel, we had Mike Macdonald from Inverness. Not a great keeper.

PatHead
25-03-2018, 07:52 AM
Many are too young to remember him

I suppose I am getting on a bit now!

ancient hibee
25-03-2018, 03:56 PM
Ronnie Simpson was the best and it's just as well because the defence in front of him was awful.

When Turnbull's team started to unravel, we had Mike Macdonald from Inverness. Not a great keeper.

I think Ronnie lost his nerve for a while.The season we scored over 100 goals we lost more than 80 in 34 games!

Northernhibee
25-03-2018, 04:21 PM
Worst shouldn't even be a contest. Zibi isn't just our worst ever goalkeeper, he's our worst ever player.

Shefki Kuqi for that honour, surely? Would have been more effective to have a wobbly ironing board up front.

snooky
25-03-2018, 06:26 PM
Best by a country mile Andy Goram brilliant shot stopper always got his angles spot on.

We we are a club that until recently always had a reputation for good goalkeepers Harry Rennie, Willie Harper, Tommy Younger, Laurie Leslie , Ronnie Simpson, Alan Rough, Jim Leighton and John Burridge.

These players were followed by a lot of average journeyman goal keepers simply not HIBS class.

The worst of which probably being Makalamity or Zibi Malkowski the vote going to Zibi as his performance against Hearts in that semi final albeit in a weakened team was imo a sackable offence.

I also feel that the jury is still out on Rocky as ok his performances have improved with the introduction of a wee bit competition for his position and he has pulled off some outstanding saves I still get the feeling that he is a disaster waiting to happen.

GGTTH

To be fair, all keepers are "a disaster waiting to happen" and probably the same could be said about any player. The trouble is the keepers' disasters are spotlighted because they are the last man and the result is more than often the loss of a goal.
The Great Zibi made disasters an art form.

BSEJVT
25-03-2018, 06:42 PM
Whilst I wouldn't disagree with many of the nominations on either side I am quite surprised to see Mark Brown not named in the worst category.

I thought he was a bloody awful goalie who I don't recall ever making a save I thought he wouldn't but failing to make plenty I thought he would.

Skol
25-03-2018, 06:46 PM
top 5 for me
leighton
williams
colgan
andersson

worst
simon brown
zibi
makalamby
caig
gottskalksson

I would swap Colgan and Makalamby. Colgan benefitted from a strong defence but often conceded soft goals. Makalamby had a few howlers but overall I didnt think was so bad.

The Proclaimers came from a time when we had a series of good goalies (Rough, Goram etc)

Speedy
25-03-2018, 07:35 PM
I would swap Colgan and Makalamby. Colgan benefitted from a strong defence but often conceded soft goals. Makalamby had a few howlers but overall I didnt think was so bad.

The Proclaimers came from a time when we had a series of good goalies (Rough, Goram etc)

Had a quick look at where Maka is now. He's played 7 league games since leaving Hibs.

Absolute dug...

Babyshamble
25-03-2018, 07:40 PM
Goram
Leighton
Budgie
Andersson

cmcd
25-03-2018, 07:56 PM
Goram, Leighton, Rough, Andersson, Logan. Rough is almost single handed kept us in the premier league. Conrad for his cup heroics. The others were very good keepers
Zibi, Maka, Smith, Oli the goalie(how ironic is that nickname?) Mike MacDonald. As a kid it always seemed that we lost when he played instead of Jim McArthur, we probably didn’t but that’s what I remember

You're memory is terrible. M M was a decent keeper for us

Ricky Bobby
25-03-2018, 09:21 PM
Best three in my time.
Goram
Leighton
Roughie

Worst
Zibi
Gottskalkson
Caig

Forza Fred
25-03-2018, 09:27 PM
I could have nominated Jack Reilly from the sixties as one of the worst, but thankfully he didn’t get enough games to cement the position.😂

SuperAllyMcleod
25-03-2018, 09:55 PM

Mike MacDonald was a legend! That hair style and the time he kicked the opposing striker (can’t remember who it was but I’ve a feeling it was a Rangers forward) in the Davina McCalls when taking an easy cross.

Crap goalie though. [emoji3]

superfurryhibby
25-03-2018, 10:21 PM
Goram
Rough
Leighton

Zibi
Oli
Simon Brown.

Best and worst in order.

Austinho
25-03-2018, 10:27 PM
I see Graeme Smith has just been relegated with Brechin City after failing to win a single game in the Championship. Had a horror show in the 6-6 draw with Motherwell (his old club no less), at fault for 2 goals, gave away a penalty (also saved said penalty) and looked pretty dodgy throughout.

Zibi in the semi final messed up terribly, although in his defence Hartley’s free kick to beat him at the near post was clever. It was a 2-2 draw at Easter Road that upset me more - we were 2 nil up and he gifted Velicka twice. Probably the most inexcusable goalkeeping performance I’ve seen.

The single worst mistake was probably Simon Brown who decided to shephard out a Lee Miller header at Tynecastle when he thought it was going wide, only for it to find the inside of the post. Luckily we won that night. Also have memories of Andy McNeil dropping a routine catch under no pressure at Tynecastle too.

Jumbo
25-03-2018, 10:29 PM
Mike MacDonald was a legend! That hair style and the time he kicked the opposing striker (can’t remember who it was but I’ve a feeling it was a Rangers forward) in the Davina McCalls when taking an easy cross.

Crap goalie though. [emoji3]

It was Celtic causing a pitch invasion and riot, nothing to do with the fact we were horsing them 4-1 :greengrin

Though still not forgotten M M's howler against Aberdeen in league cup semi when he let in, last minute of ET, Stewart Kennedy cross for winner, think that might also have been his last game for us :confused:

MWHIBBIES
25-03-2018, 10:50 PM
Whilst I wouldn't disagree with many of the nominations on either side I am quite surprised to see Mark Brown not named in the worst category.

I thought he was a bloody awful goalie who I don't recall ever making a save I thought he wouldn't but failing to make plenty I thought he would.

He was pretty hopeless but made an absolutely incredible save in the last minute vs Ayr at Easter Road that saves us from a shocking upset. About 10 days later it happened anyway mind...

hibby6270
25-03-2018, 11:08 PM
Looks like a lot of young pups on this thread going by some of the replies.

Young pups indeed. We’ve had a good number good/great goalies at ER.So here are a few names not mentioned yet as the best.........imo

Thomson Allan
Jim Herriott
Jim McArthur

...... worst?

Chris Reid.
Will never forget a blunder he made in a reserve game. Can’t recall opponents but an easy pass back to him he just needed to boot up field. No bobbles. Not coming to him quickly. He just completely missed his kick and it was a goal.

Someone mentioned Andy McNeill in the worst category. :confused:
Remember he did win a medal as 1st choice in the 2007 League Cup Final, so is a bit of a ledg in my eyes.

jgl07
26-03-2018, 11:14 AM
Young pups indeed. We’ve had a good number good/great goalies at ER.So here are a few names not mentioned yet as the best.........imo

Thomson Allan
Jim Herriott
Jim McArthur

...... worst?

Chris Reid.
Will never forget a blunder he made in a reserve game. Can’t recall opponents but an easy pass back to him he just needed to boot up field. No bobbles. Not coming to him quickly. He just completely missed his kick and it was a goal.

I thought Chris Reid was ok. Jason Gardiner was around at the same time and many assumed that one or the other would emerge as first choice.

Then Jim Leighton was signed from Dundee Reserves, to this dismay of many Hibs fans who thought his nerve had been destroyed by his disastrous spell with Man United. Leighton was given a chance and took it. When he departed Chris Reid seemed to have the impression that he would take over but in came our Icelandic wonderboy.

Yorkshire HFC
26-03-2018, 11:31 AM
[QUOTE=hibby6270;5353035]Young pups indeed. We’ve had a good number good/great goalies at ER.So here are a few names not mentioned yet as the best.........imo

Thomson Allan
Jim Herriott
Jim McArthur

I think that Rough, Goram and Leighton were all in a different class to the three good goalies listed above.

JimBHibees
26-03-2018, 02:43 PM
It was Celtic causing a pitch invasion and riot, nothing to do with the fact we were horsing them 4-1 :greengrin

Though still not forgotten M M's howler against Aberdeen in league cup semi when he let in, last minute of ET, Stewart Kennedy cross for winner, think that might also have been his last game for us :confused:

To be fair to McDonald he had saved us in that game with a string of great saves. Think it was one of they flukey crosses that fly in the top corner though rather than an awful mistake, was a few years ago right enough. :greengrin

SRHibs
26-03-2018, 02:52 PM
I see Graeme Smith has just been relegated with Brechin City after failing to win a single game in the Championship. Had a horror show in the 6-6 draw with Motherwell (his old club no less), at fault for 2 goals, gave away a penalty (also saved said penalty) and looked pretty dodgy throughout.

Zibi in the semi final messed up terribly, although in his defence Hartley’s free kick to beat him at the near post was clever. It was a 2-2 draw at Easter Road that upset me more - we were 2 nil up and he gifted Velicka twice. Probably the most inexcusable goalkeeping performance I’ve seen.

The single worst mistake was probably Simon Brown who decided to shephard out a Lee Miller header at Tynecastle when he thought it was going wide, only for it to find the inside of the post. Luckily we won that night. Also have memories of Andy McNeil dropping a routine catch under no pressure at Tynecastle too.

Maka throwing/kicking (can’t remember) the ball off the back of an Aberdeen player must be up there as one of the worst mistakes. Was hilariously bad.

Found it: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp8tAcWp64g

hibby6270
26-03-2018, 04:55 PM
[QUOTE=hibby6270;5353035]Young pups indeed. We’ve had a good number good/great goalies at ER.So here are a few names not mentioned yet as the best.........imo

Thomson Allan
Jim Herriott
Jim McArthur

I think that Rough, Goram and Leighton were all in a different class to the three good goalies listed above.

Yeah possibly but that’s probably because they had already, or went on to, win a load of Scotland caps?

I’d still put Jim Herriot alongside the RGL triumvirate. He won a few Scotland caps and was an integral part of one of our most celebrated line ups.

As for the other 2 I chose, they were mentioned because most replies to the thread were listing keepers from the last 20-25 years ago. My point was to highlight that there were other older keepers worthy of a mention.

BILLYHIBS
26-03-2018, 05:13 PM
To be fair, all keepers are "a disaster waiting to happen" and probably the same could be said about any player. The trouble is the keepers' disasters are spotlighted because they are the last man and the result is more than often the loss of a goal.
The Great Zibi made disasters an art form.

Rockys disasters already starting to grow:

Christie’s free kick near post Scottish Cup SF

Christmas near post howler against Rangers think it was Morelos

Sending off against St Johnstone

Sauzee16
26-03-2018, 05:21 PM

That’s 3 in two years. He’s also saved us many times.

If he was utterly amazing he wouldn’t be with us.

MWHIBBIES
26-03-2018, 06:40 PM

McGeouch and Hanlon as much to blame as him for the first 2 on that list. Don't be so silly, I could sit and list hundreds of errors by the best players in the world. Oliver Kahn chucked one in in the world cup final, still won the best player award.

Hiber-nation
26-03-2018, 06:48 PM
Don't want to go down the road of repeating these dreadful keepers we've had over the years but my top 3 since I started watching Hibs in 1966 are:

1. Goram
2. Leighton
3. Rough

No surprises there!

Hiber-nation
26-03-2018, 06:54 PM

Big Mike wasn't from Inverness was he? I spoke to him a few times in the pub and he had a Glasgow accent. We signed him from Stoke City. Decent enough keeper, made the odd howler like they all do.

BILLYHIBS
26-03-2018, 07:07 PM
McGeouch and Hanlon as much to blame as him for the first 2 on that list. Don't be so silly, I could sit and list hundreds of errors by the best players in the world. Oliver Kahn chucked one in in the world cup final, still won the best player award.

No worries mate ! Think Lenny running out of patience with him that was why he signed Scott Bain just a shame he never actually played for us.

MWHIBBIES
26-03-2018, 07:20 PM
No worries mate ! Think Lenny running out of patience with him that was why he signed Scott Bain just a shame he never actually played for us.

Why would he be running out of patience with him? Without him we'd be much worse off this season, he has made some saves he had absolutely no business making.

He signed a good backup because our current good backup is injured. Did we sign Slivka because he was running out of patience with McGinn? Or Rherras because he was running out of patience with Lewis?

Jumbo
26-03-2018, 07:23 PM
Big Mike wasn't from Inverness was he? I spoke to him a few times in the pub and he had a Glasgow accent. We signed him from Stoke City. Decent enough keeper, made the odd howler like they all do.

He started his career at Clydebank, I always assumed he was from west :confused:

BILLYHIBS
26-03-2018, 08:15 PM
[QUOTE=MWHIBBIES;5353492]Why would he be running out of patience with him? Without him we'd be much worse off this season, he has made some saves he had absolutely no business making.

He signed a good backup because our current good backup is injured. Did we sign Slivka because he was running out of patience with McGinn? Or Rherras because he was running out of patience with Lewis?[/QUO
He had no business rushing out of his box to handle the ball when there was adequate cover coming across to intercept.
Time will tell as Sandy Bell now has the gloves as Rocky will be suspended for next game.

bigwheel
26-03-2018, 08:19 PM

That is a crazy post......by and large Rocky has been as good as any other keeper in the league..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
26-03-2018, 08:43 PM
That is a crazy post......by and large Rocky has been as good as any other keeper in the league..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Looks like I am in the minority a lot of posters coming to Rockys defence but I am still not convinced I admit he has made some great saves but with a few howlers thrown in.
Football is all about opinions time will tell.
As another poster said if he was brilliant he wouldn’t be with us.

BILLYHIBS
26-03-2018, 08:45 PM
[QUOTE=MWHIBBIES;5353492]Why would he be running out of patience with him? Without him we'd be much worse off this season, he has made some saves he had absolutely no business making.

He signed a good backup because our current good backup is injured. Did we sign Slivka because he was running out of patience with McGinn? Or Rherras because he was running out of patience with Lewis?[/QUO

He had no business rushing out of his box to handle the ball when there was adequate cover coming across to intercept.
Time will tell as Sandy Bell now has the gloves as Rocky will be suspended for next game.
Cammy Bell

RyeSloan
26-03-2018, 09:28 PM
That's the top three in my era for sure, with Goram by far and away the best. Brown, Smith, Malkowski, Caig all dreadful with a special mention for Gottskalksson, a woeful keeper, a Jim Duffy signing if memory serves

Ollie was the worst keeper by far. In fact I’m not sure he was even a goalkeeper. I seem to remember he was a converted basketball player. His handling technique was atrocious and clearly remember him conceding late on in his debut by letting one go right through his hands.

Dalianwanda
26-03-2018, 09:35 PM
Zibi was terrible!? I can’t see how there’s a debate...those too you, trust me it was Zibi

BILLYHIBS
26-03-2018, 09:46 PM
Wonder why Jock Stein dropped Ronnie Simpson would not play him stuck him on the free transfer list then first thing he did at Celtic was to sign Ronnie Simpson. The rest they say is history.

Austinho
26-03-2018, 10:44 PM
Maka throwing/kicking (can’t remember) the ball off the back of an Aberdeen player must be up there as one of the worst mistakes. Was hilariously bad.

Found it: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp8tAcWp64g’Ma-Kalamity’ sums it up perfectly there

belhavenbill
26-03-2018, 11:36 PM
In the sixties and seventies apart from the exceptional Ronnie Simpson, there was a selection of half decent goalies who would be regarded as potential Scotland material now: Thomson Allan, Willie Wilson, Jim McArthur and Jim Herriot. All had good and bad days but probably more of the former than the latter.

Of the less exalted Jack Reilly has been mentioned but what about Robin Rae whose personal story was perhaps more interesting than his actual time on the pitch?

TelaStella
27-03-2018, 01:03 AM
’Ma-Kalamity’ sums it up perfectly there

Was there that day and It's probably still the most bizarre thing I've witnessed live at a game. Seriously how the f could he justify that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Austinho
27-03-2018, 02:30 AM
Was there that day and It's probably still the most bizarre thing I've witnessed live at a game. Seriously how the f could he justify that?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkBetween him trying to clear it with an Aberdeen player stood a yard in front, Simon Brown not making a routine catch because ‘it’s going wide!’, and Zibi coming out to punch a cross on the edge of the box with no danger around, I think there was probably something in the water at Easter Road in those days.

ancient hibee
27-03-2018, 10:05 AM
Wonder why Jock Stein dropped Ronnie Simpson would not play him stuck him on the free transfer list then first thing he did at Celtic was to sign Ronnie Simpson. The rest they say is history.

You're mistaken-Stein sold Simpson to Celtic.

BILLYHIBS
27-03-2018, 10:38 AM
OK still refused to play him then SOLD him to Celtic the debate is on best and worst keepers Ronnie was one of our best but could not get into Steins successful HIBS team.
The whole deal smacked of double standards at the time which is why Stein was such a great Manager. He obviously saw something in Ronnie that he liked.He must have known he would be following him out of the door.
I stand corrected. You are obviously older than me.

ancient hibee
27-03-2018, 12:50 PM
Simpson and Stein didn’t hit it off.Simpson was expecting to get emptied by Celtic when he heard Stein was arriving.

JimBHibees
27-03-2018, 12:56 PM

Probably because he knew he was going there later on. Fair chance the supposed fall out was contrived.

ancient hibee
27-03-2018, 03:51 PM
Probably because he knew he was going there later on. Fair chance the supposed fall out was contrived.
Not according to Ronnie Simpson.He wanted away from Stein because at his age he wanted to play first team football.Stein thought he’d lost his nerve.

BILLYHIBS
29-03-2018, 06:32 AM
Not according to Ronnie Simpson.He wanted away from Stein because at his age he wanted to play first team football.Stein thought he’d lost his nerve.
If you look on line you tube under Ronnie Simpson 1967 his back heeler to the Celtic defender when under severe pressure in the first half at 1-0 down in the European Cup Final does not look like a goalkeeper playing without confidence.
I can only assume Stein signed Ronnie Simpson as experienced back up for John Fallon who subsequently lost his place following a poor performance against the old Rangers in the League Cup Final.

Jones28
29-03-2018, 06:36 AM

GGTTH

Marciano has been great this season - the sending off against St Johnstone aside his performances have been brilliant. Made some awesome saves - hearts and dundee games in particular.

BILLYHIBS
29-03-2018, 06:52 AM
Marciano has been great this season - the sending off against St Johnstone aside his performances have been brilliant. Made some awesome saves - hearts and dundee games in particular.
Yeah already replied to this issue in subsequent replies detailing his various howlers.

I am prepared to excuse him the second goal against Aberdeen away as a bad day for everyone.

I admit I appear to be in the minority on this one I hope for our sake I am wrong.

GGTTH

Pretty Boy
29-03-2018, 09:13 AM
I don't think Gottskalkson deserves to be considered the worst we have had. He had a decent season in the 1st division and played his part in getting us promoted. The following season he started ok but a poor game v Dundee Utd (we won 3-2, Billy Dodds missed a last minute penalty) saw him drop out and I don't think he played for us again.

I watched the reserves a lot at that time (Monday night games ST got you in the old main stand) and he always looked decent there. He went on to do well at Brentford as well. I always thought the big crowds and pressure in the Premier League made him nervous.

tamig
29-03-2018, 10:20 PM
I don't think Gottskalkson deserves to be considered the worst we have had. He had a decent season in the 1st division and played his part in getting us promoted. The following season he started ok but a poor game v Dundee Utd (we won 3-2, Billy Dodds missed a last minute penalty) saw him drop out and I don't think he played for us again.

I watched the reserves a lot at that time (Monday night games ST got you in the old main stand) and he always looked decent there. He went on to do well at Brentford as well. I always thought the big crowds and pressure in the Premier League made him nervous.
I saw every game in that First Division season and Oli was outstanding. I remember a game away at Stranraer when we won 1-0 with a Stuart Lovell goal. Oli won us the three points with an amazing display. Felt sorry for him when Colgan arrived.

Austinho
29-03-2018, 10:25 PM
I don't think Gottskalkson deserves to be considered the worst we have had.Agreed, that has to go to Zibi hands down.

Mantis Toboggan
29-03-2018, 10:32 PM
I saw every game in that First Division season and Oli was outstanding. I remember a game away at Stranraer when we won 1-0 with a Stuart Lovell goal. Oli won us the three points with an amazing display. Felt sorry for him when Colgan arrived.

Remember that one well. At the end of the game Yogi came over and spoke to us, first thing he said was that Oli had saved us from a bit of a doing.
On the other hand my phone just tried to autocorrect 'Oli' to 'Poo' so who knows what the truth is?

ancient hibee
29-03-2018, 10:37 PM
If you look on line you tube under Ronnie Simpson 1967 his back heeler to the Celtic defender when under severe pressure in the first half at 1-0 down in the European Cup Final does not look like a goalkeeper playing without confidence.
I can only assume Stein signed Ronnie Simpson as experienced back up for John Fallon who subsequently lost his place following a poor performance against the old Rangers in the League Cup Final.
Don’t need to watch it on u tube,I remember it wellYou’re right.Simpson doesn’t look lacking in confidence but then I never thought he was.As I said already Stein didn’t sigh him,he sold him.

Sauzee16
29-03-2018, 10:41 PM

Oli culdn’t get down easily. Low shots he couldn’t get. Bryan Gunn came in to replace him but got knackered (I think) Colgan is my fav ever goalie after Goram. Goram more because he was utterly amazing for Scotland and to know he played for Hibs meant I was star stuck.

Michael
29-03-2018, 10:45 PM
Agreed, that has to go to Zibi hands down.

I think Graeme Smith was probably worse. Never had a good game.

Mantis Toboggan
29-03-2018, 11:07 PM
Oli culdn’t get down easily. Low shots he couldn’t get. Bryan Gunn came in to replace him but got knackered (I think) Colgan is my fav ever goalie after Goram. Goram more because he was utterly amazing for Scotland and to know he played for Hibs meant I was star stuck.

Gunn played at the end of the relegation season but then was injured in pre season I think and never played again.

BILLYHIBS
30-03-2018, 07:47 AM
Don’t need to watch it on u tube,I remember it wellYou’re right.Simpson doesn’t look lacking in confidence but then I never thought he was.As I said already Stein didn’t sigh him,he sold him.
I already said you were correct and I was wrong Hibs sold him.
Will check my facts in future before I post rather than relying on my ageing memory.
I thought it was a fans chatline not Brain of Britain or should that be Quizball???
GGTTH

BILLYHIBS
30-03-2018, 09:24 AM
In fairness HIBS sold Simpson to Celtic for £4000 which I suppose was a good piece of business at that time for an ageing goalkeeper and got him off the payroll.

GaryOsCheerios
30-03-2018, 03:53 PM

Am I right in saying he did a runner at Brentford?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%93lafur_Gottsk%C3%A1lksson#Club_career

It was actually Torquay later on!

Also a crim and basketball player.

stantonsboots
30-03-2018, 03:58 PM
I really liked supermac (mike macdonald) back in the 70s but andy goram is the best I've actually seen
the worst by a country mile is zibi!

highland hibbee
31-03-2018, 04:22 AM

Thomson Allan
Jim Herriott
Jim McArthur

Youre right, Goram was different class, in fact an absolute classless wretch of a Hun loving b&&@@#d.
Leighton, well as per most Scottish goalies, he could save shots but loved parrying them directly into the way of opposing players for the tap in and was too lazy to work on his kicking which was pathetic for a professional , as was Mark Browns. Leighton also is a whinging sneak of a man, according to my old running partner who was at Aberdeen for a couple of years.
Jim McArthur was a pretty decent goalie for a good length of time.Roughie did well for us and even won a Scotland recall.Jim Herriot was the goalie in our first League Cup win, but had some bowlers against the tattie howkers
MaKalambay, Graeme Smith and Zibi, the love child of that 3 would take some beating as the worst !!

Pretty Boy
31-03-2018, 06:21 AM
[QUOTE=Yorkshire HFC;5353186]

Youre right, Goram was different class, in fact an absolute classless wretch of a Hun loving b&&@@#d.
Leighton, well as per most Scottish goalies, he could save shots but loved parrying them directly into the way of opposing players for the tap in and was too lazy to work on his kicking which was pathetic for a professional , as was Mark Browns. Leighton also is a whinging sneak of a man, according to my old running partner who was at Aberdeen for a couple of years.
Jim McArthur was a pretty decent goalie for a good length of time.Roughie did well for us and even won a Scotland recall.Jim Herriot was the goalie in our first League Cup win, but had some bowlers against the tattie howkers
MaKalambay, Graeme Smith and Zibi, the love child of that 3 would take some beating as the worst !!

Jim Leighton may be many things but lazy isn't one of them. Frankly an ignorant comment. Read Andy Gorams book in which he he has a decent chunk dedicated to his friendship and rivalry with Leighton. He describes him as pretty much the hardest working players he ever worked with, not just goalkeeper but all round player. He spent hours watching back games and tried to work out what he could have done differently, all before video analysis was fashionable and widely used.

Clerie Green
31-03-2018, 06:24 AM
Willie Wilson .

:flag:

BILLYHIBS
31-03-2018, 07:48 AM
Goram best Zibi worst close thread

highland hibbee
31-03-2018, 08:18 AM
[QUOTE=highland hibbee;5356403]

Jim Leighton may be many things but lazy isn't one of them. Frankly an ignorant comment. Read Andy Gorams book in which he he has a decent chunk dedicated to his friendship and rivalry with Leighton. He describes him as pretty much the hardest working players he ever worked with, not just goalkeeper but all round player. He spent hours watching back games and tried to work out what he could have done differently, all before video analysis was fashionable and widely used.

Aye he worked that hard he still couldn’t kick the ball properly when the ball came back to him.
youre welcome to your opinion, but it’s not ignorant to pick up on a part of a goalkeepers game that didn’t improve throughout his career.
in fairness there are a whole raft of players who don’t work on their weaknesses, left footers who won’t pass the ball 6 feet with their right is one example.

GGTTH

Pretty Boy
31-03-2018, 10:57 AM
[QUOTE=Pretty Boy;5356423]

Aye he worked that hard he still couldn’t kick the ball properly when the ball came back to him.
youre welcome to your opinion, but it’s not ignorant to pick up on a part of a goalkeepers game that didn’t improve throughout his career.
in fairness there are a whole raft of players who don’t work on their weaknesses, left footers who won’t pass the ball 6 feet with their right is one example.

GGTTH

So you know for a fact it was because he was lazy and didn't bother to try and work on it that his kicking was a weaker part of his game?

highland hibbee
31-03-2018, 11:44 AM
[QUOTE=highland hibbee;5356481]

So you know for a fact it was because he was lazy and didn't bother to try and work on it that his kicking was a weaker part of his game?

In the same way that you know for a fact everything written in Gorams book is factually accurate

Pretty Boy
31-03-2018, 12:00 PM
[QUOTE=Pretty Boy;5356611]

In the same way that you know for a fact everything written in Gorams book is factually accurate

I don't see what he has to gain by lying about it.

I'd trust a guy who trained with JL for the best part of a decade and who was a top goalkeeper in his own right over someone throwing out an accusation of a player being lazy with no further qualification given to back up the statement.

Maybe your mates dislike of Leighton as a person is clouding your judgement?

basehibby
31-03-2018, 12:58 PM
Best - Goram
Worst - Zibi

RyeSloan
31-03-2018, 11:10 PM
[QUOTE=highland hibbee;5356643]

I don't see what he has to gain by lying about it.

I'd trust a guy who trained with JL for the best part of a decade and who was a top goalkeeper in his own right over someone throwing out an accusation of a player being lazy with no further qualification given to back up the statement.

Maybe your mates dislike of Leighton as a person is clouding your judgement?

Leighton’s kicking was poor and he had a very odd goal kick technique. He may have worked hard on it but he really didn’t improve it very much!!

To be fair though I’m sure Leighton played a lot of his career when the back pass was allowed so that change maybe highlighted a weakness that hadn’t been such an issue previously (or am I getting my decades and rules changes and keepers all mixed up? [emoji12])