PDA

View Full Version : Great article on SoL/Fans

BigKev
23-03-2018, 01:44 PM
Just saw this article on the Newsnow feed. Brilliant article from a non Hibby.

https://www.tifofootball.com/features/how-hibernians-sunshine-on-leith-became-an-anthem-for-all-of-football/

Earlydelivery
23-03-2018, 01:53 PM
A site called Tifo ?

KWJ
23-03-2018, 02:16 PM
I thought he was going to end that article by saying "We are the people" :greengrin

Great read though.

FranckSuzy
23-03-2018, 02:18 PM
https://www.tifofootball.com/features/how-hibernians-sunshine-on-leith-became-an-anthem-for-all-of-football/

:not worth
(https://www.tifofootball.com/features/how-hibernians-sunshine-on-leith-became-an-anthem-for-all-of-football/)

SirDavidsNapper
23-03-2018, 02:26 PM
Brilliant read. Any idea who his team are?

Juice-Terry
23-03-2018, 02:40 PM
Braw.

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-03-2018, 02:46 PM
Sitting upstairs in Platform 5 with teary eyes! :-)

Callyballybe
23-03-2018, 02:48 PM
Absolutely fantastic piece. The backdrop with Gray and the green tartened piper is really good as well.

weecounty hibby
23-03-2018, 02:51 PM
What a great read and yet another fabulous piece of free positive PR for Hibs. Things are on the up for us in every single department both on and off the park just now. What a great time to be a Hibby

murray26
23-03-2018, 02:55 PM
Thoroughly enjoyed that wee read.. what a good man.. if he’s not got a team he may aswell take the plunge..

cam75
23-03-2018, 02:58 PM

Got me aswell,sitting in Tesco car park guess what I'm away to watch 💚

Ggtth

Callyballybe
23-03-2018, 02:59 PM
Did a little digging, it would appear he's a Citeh man.

Jack Hackett
23-03-2018, 03:00 PM

I'm sitting on a train and couldn't finish the article. I'll have another go when I get home

Hibbyradge
23-03-2018, 03:08 PM
Hib's :grr:

murray26
23-03-2018, 03:11 PM
It was on sky yesterday 4.15 .. 15 minutes highlights came across it by chance and yes.. it got me again..

snooky
23-03-2018, 03:26 PM
What a great read and yet another fabulous piece of free positive PR for Hibs. Things are on the up for us in every single department both on and off the park just now. What a great time to be a Hibby

Aye, so let's not screw it up by doing a field invasion or singing sectarian songs :stirrer:

But seriously, that was a great read - made even better by the fact he is not 'one of us'. Just an outside observer who 'gets it'. :flag:

JeMeSouviens
23-03-2018, 03:38 PM
Brilliant read. Any idea who his team are?

Citeh.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/manchester-city-have-become-millwall-media-when-will-it-end

SonOfDavidFrancey
24-03-2018, 06:19 AM
A wee bit pseuds’ Corner in places and there will be some on here that won’t like the part about the cup final aftermath but read to the end... a quite enjoyable piece on SOL.

Jack
24-03-2018, 06:52 AM
Man City fans, Irish and German comedians, various bloggers from around world, random professional footballers kids, whether they've visited in person or even just been touched by the club in a small way are all left with a positive impact.

In the other hand ...

... our own media in Scotland can't wait to put the boot in!

Austinho
24-03-2018, 06:57 AM
Man City fans, Irish and German comedians, various bloggers from around world, random professional footballers kids, whether they've visited in person or even just been touched by the club in a small way are all left with a positive impact.

In the other hand ...

... our own media in Scotland can't wait to put the boot in!James Corden too.

FranckSuzy
24-03-2018, 07:44 AM
Stephen Tudor‏ @SteTudor123 (https://twitter.com/SteTudor123) 14h14 hours ago (https://twitter.com/SteTudor123/status/977261462287732737)

Stephen Tudor Retweeted Tifo Football
"Fast becoming a Hibs fan after some of the lovely responses to this". :thumbsup:

hibsbollah
24-03-2018, 07:48 AM
A nice read. Please someone post it on tenpointsback and watch the seethe :faf:

overdrive
24-03-2018, 08:17 AM
I’ve been in Dublin the last few days seeing a mate who had moved abroad but was working there this week. We ended up going out last night with a few folk from my mate’s work’s Dublin office. My mate pointed me out to one of the guys as ‘the hibby’. The guy was massively keen on Hibs and he said it was seeing SoL at our games on telly and online that sparked his and a few of his pals’ interest in us. He said they were hoping to come over for a game or two.

I didn’t realise until that conversation last night how much of a marketing tool SoL could be for us.

tartanhibee
24-03-2018, 08:29 AM
I think that it is unique in footballing terms as most club anthems are played at every match usually before kick off. SOL is only ever played after a big result cup/Derby win and only ever at the end of the game. The fact that it may only get an airing once or twice a season if we are lucky keeps it special amongst us and has the footballing world looking in.

Vault Boy
24-03-2018, 08:44 AM
Really enjoyable read.

24-03-2018, 08:54 AM
Excellent article, get that man (and James Cordon) a ticket for the next ER derby, tempted to offer up mine.

Danderhall Hibs
24-03-2018, 09:03 AM
Another one from a Man Utd fan writing in the current issue of Nutmeg magazine - he says that “the best I have ever felt in a football ground was when Hibs won the Scottish cup in 2016”

Nameless
24-03-2018, 10:06 AM
What a heartfelt and well written piece.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

tartanhibee
24-03-2018, 10:15 AM
I posted this on another thread

I think that it is unique in footballing terms as most club anthems are played at every match usually before kick off. SOL is only ever played after a big result cup/Derby win and only ever at the end of the game. The fact that it may only get an airing once or twice a season if we are lucky keeps it special amongst us and has the footballing world looking in.

Sauzee16
24-03-2018, 10:17 AM
Excellent article, get that man (and James Cordon) a ticket for the next ER derby, tempted to offer up mine.

Sitting next to Cordon at a derby when trying to concentrate at the game would be nippy as :greengrin:

Pagan Hibernia
24-03-2018, 10:35 AM
I posted this on another thread

this is exactly it. In my opinion, YNWA whilst obviously very powerful on a big European night at anfield has been spoiled by overuse, both in the sense of many clubs singing it and it being sung at the start and end of every game for every club that use it. The result is they are just going through the motions most of the time. Remember the tame, halfhearted rendition Celtic fans gave after the league cup semi this season?

SOL needs to be like our finest china and only brought out on very special occasions.

WhileTheChief..
24-03-2018, 11:03 AM
I like these random Hibs articles that are nothing to do with the normal Scottish media.

There’s never any about Hearts though.

They’re just not as cool, or day I say it, famous, as us!!

SirDavidsNapper
24-03-2018, 11:04 AM
James Corden too.

Russell Brand too!

Kato
24-03-2018, 11:12 AM
this is exactly it. In my opinion, YNWA whilst obviously very powerful on a big European night at anfield has been spoiled by overuse, both in the sense of many clubs singing it and it being sung at the start and end of every game for every club that use it. The result is they are just going through the motions most of the time. Remember the tame, halfhearted rendition Celtic fans gave after the league cup semi this season?

SOL needs to be like our finest china and only brought out on very special occasions.

There's youtube's of the Liverpool fans singing YNWA at half-time in Istanbul as the teams came out. Pretty impressive and inspirational. In the main though I agree.

SirDavidsNapper
24-03-2018, 11:14 AM
I like these random Hibs articles that are nothing to do with the normal Scottish media.

There’s never any about Hearts though.

They’re just not as cool, or day I say it, famous, as us!!

Hearts are a very uncool club compared to Hibs. Imagine being a youngster at school with all our songs, the attention on social media, celebs singing our praises etc etc. Must be brilliant. You could however choose Hearts if you were excited about maroon tartan dresses and librarys.

Pagan Hibernia
24-03-2018, 11:17 AM
There's youtube's of the Liverpool fans singing YNWA at half-time in Istanbul as the teams came out. Pretty impressive and inspirational. In the main though I agree.

That was a Champions League Final. The perfect time to sing it.

A saturday 3pm league game against Watford and it probably wouldn’t be as powerful.

monarch
24-03-2018, 11:19 AM
Russell Brand too!

--------whose father in law, Bernard Gallacher, is a big Hibby.

SirDavidsNapper
24-03-2018, 11:23 AM
--------whose father in law, Bernard Gallacher, is a big Hibby.

Must be torture having Kirsty as a sister in law!

stoneyburn hibs
24-03-2018, 11:29 AM
Hibs fans that day were all of us.

jakedance
24-03-2018, 11:40 AM
Just saw this article on the Newsnow feed. Brilliant article from a non Hibby.

Good find. Thanks for sharing.

We’re lucky and unique to have such a great anthem.

Kato
24-03-2018, 12:07 PM
That was a Champions League Final. The perfect time to sing it.

A saturday 3pm league game against Watford and it probably wouldn’t be as powerful.

Very true.

All I was pointing out was that it works as an inspirational thing during games. I suppose SoL works as a "prize" for the players to aim for.

JeMeSouviens
24-03-2018, 12:47 PM
The only thing ynwa has over sol is that Liverpool fans can do it en masse unaccompanied whereas we need the record to sing along to.

The_Horde
24-03-2018, 01:01 PM
The only thing ynwa has over sol is that Liverpool fans can do it en masse unaccompanied whereas we need the record to sing along to.

No we don't.

JeMeSouviens
24-03-2018, 01:07 PM
No we don't.

All of ER or a big hampden support has never done it without the record afaik. The whole of anfield regularly sings ynwa towards the end of games.

SouthMoroccoStu
24-03-2018, 01:17 PM

In the other hand ...

... our own media in Scotland can't wait to put the boot in!

Absolutely correct Jack

All over the world, the pitch invasion was seen and reported as a wonderful sight of pure emotion and celebration

I live in Kent now and upon returning back down after the final I was amazed at the amount of boys in the local pub that had watched the game and thought the fans “participating” added to the event

In Scotland on the other hand...

Killiehibbie
24-03-2018, 01:24 PM
Absolutely correct Jack

All over the world, the pitch invasion was seen and reported as a wonderful sight of pure emotion and celebration

I live in Kent now and upon returning back down after the final I was amazed at the amount of boys in the local pub that had watched the game and thought the fans “participating” added to the event

In Scotland on the other hand...That's because we spoiled the party planned at ibrox and took the first silverware from the tribute act.

SouthMoroccoStu
24-03-2018, 01:34 PM
That's because we spoiled the party planned at ibrox and took the first silverware from the tribute act.

Just selfish

How do we live with ourselves....

The_Horde
24-03-2018, 01:34 PM
All of ER or a big hampden support has never done it without the record afaik. The whole of anfield regularly sings ynwa towards the end of games.

Because it's heartless, choreographed nonsense.

ChrissyG1875
24-03-2018, 02:49 PM
The only ever totally impromptue SOL I can remember was in leith links on the parade day and it was class. What a day

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Viva_Palmeiras
24-03-2018, 06:00 PM
Was the rendition of SOL at the AEK Athens game unprompted ?

What game did we first belt it out at?

i was in London at this time...

hibsbollah
25-03-2018, 06:55 AM
Id never seen the word 'paean' (a song of victory, source, from ancient Greek) used before either, I looked it up to convince myself it had nothing to do with Gary Locke.

SirDavidsNapper
25-03-2018, 07:13 AM

I remember Hibs fans singing YNWA en masse with no music towards the end of games regularly in early 90's

Anti-hoofbaw
25-03-2018, 07:14 AM
Id never seen the word 'paean' (a song of victory, source, from ancient Greek) used before either, I looked it up to convince myself it had nothing to do with Gary Locke.

If it had anything to do with Gary Locke it would have read 'paeanis'

hibsbollah
25-03-2018, 07:17 AM
If it had anything to do with Gary Locke it would have read 'paeanis'

Youve written 'a Paean to Tam' :agree:

Anti-hoofbaw
25-03-2018, 07:55 AM
Youve written 'a Paean to Tam' :agree:

Indeed I have :thumbsup: I work with turf so Tam is a bit of a hero to me. He's a ledge in the Greenkeeping industry is oor Tam. It's just a pity he's washing troosers nowadays.

CentreLine
25-03-2018, 09:26 AM
I remember Hibs fans singing YNWA en masse with no music towards the end of games regularly in early 90's

It was a big thing in the 70s when we were regularly winning in Europe.

NAE NOOKIE
25-03-2018, 03:00 PM

That is the only downside to SOL .... Unlike YNWA it is a very difficult song to sing without the music for the simple reason that it has a musical interlude in the middle ... short of all the fans going;

'nah nah nah nah nahhhhh
nah nah nah nah nahhhh
nah nah nah
nah nah nah nahhhhh'

in the middle I'm not sure what we can do about it ..... do we have any violinists in our support? :greengrin