PDA

View Full Version : Danny Handling interview

RossScott1991
22-03-2018, 09:19 PM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/irn-bru-cup-has-put-fizz-back-into-danny-handling-s-career-1-4710326

Article with handling today. Now working part time in a chicken farm, only 24 year old.

We haven’t produced same calibre of players since the golden generation.

We went on to produce Handling, Harris, Stanton and Ross Caldwell.

Stanton remains as the one who’s making a fist of it atleast.
Not even sure what Ross Caldwell does now? Or how Harris is getting on at Falkirk.

Lets hope Porteous and Shaw go on to have better careers , have more hope for them!

Mr White
22-03-2018, 09:24 PM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/irn-bru-cup-has-put-fizz-back-into-danny-handling-s-career-1-4710326

Article with handling today. Now working part time in a chicken farm, only 24 year old.

Not even sure what Ross Caldwell does now? Or how Harris is getting on at Falkirk.

Lets hope Porteous and Shaw go on to have better careers , have more hope for them!

Don't forget Wotherspoon, Booth and Hanlon who are all playing top flight football. 2 out of those 3 also have Scottish cup winners medals.

percy veer
22-03-2018, 09:49 PM

always thought he never really tried hard enough couple of bad injuries but he looks the same as when he broke through.

Centre Hawf
22-03-2018, 09:55 PM
Don't forget Wotherspoon, Booth and Hanlon who are all playing top flight football. 2 out of those 3 also have Scottish cup winners medals.

And Lewis who has 3 winners medals with us.

Mr White
22-03-2018, 09:57 PM
And Lewis who has 3 winners medals with us.

Yeah I considered including him but it's going back a bit far for the point the op was making I think.

StirlingHibee
22-03-2018, 10:01 PM
Credit and respect to Danny Handling. If it doesn't work out for you as a full-time professional young guys can often find themselves cut loose in their mid twenties and possibly having to start all over again to make a living. For every one lad who makes it another 100 will not and inevitably descend into part-time football before drifting away completely sometimes. Life (and professional sport) can be cruel and I guess that's the risk you take. In many years time he will be able to reflect and take great pride in the fact that he played for Hibernian, something all of us on the forum can only dream of. Well done mate!

Pretty Boy
22-03-2018, 10:07 PM
I always thought Handling just lacked a yard of pace and a bit of core strength needed to make it at our level. Technically he was a very decent player but often seemed to get bullied onto the fringes of the game.

I'd go as far as to say that if his formative years at Hibs had come under Stubbs and Lennon and their set ups as opposed to Fenlon and Butcher things might have worked out differently.

Sammy7nil
22-03-2018, 10:10 PM
I always thought Handling just lacked a yard of pace and a bit of core strength needed to make it at our level. Technically he was a very decent player but often seemed to get bullied onto the fringes of the game.

I'd go as far as to say that if his formative years at Hibs had come under Stubbs and Lennon and their set ups as opposed to Fenlon and Butcher things might have worked out differently.

I agree he could still be playing for East Fife :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
23-03-2018, 06:39 AM
Good on him for proving there is work out there other than football.

calumhibee1
23-03-2018, 06:43 AM

Ross Caldwell is playing fourth tier junior football out west for a side near the bottom of the league - Blantyre Victoria. I’d imagine it’s basically amateur football.

J-C
23-03-2018, 11:28 AM
Danny was technically pretty decent but lacked motivation to make it, I always felt he enjoyed the celebrity status being a pro footballer at a big club but didn't put in the graft to become one.

calumhibee1
23-03-2018, 11:31 AM
Danny was technically pretty decent but lacked motivation to make it, I always felt he enjoyed the celebrity status being a pro footballer at a big club but didn't put in the graft to become one.

He had average technical ability which can work if paired with a good attitude and decent physical attributes. Unfortunately he never seemed to have the cockiness or will to win needed and he was slow as a week in the jail. I’ve said it before, but Harry Cochrane at Hearts reminds me of him.

KWJ
23-03-2018, 12:45 PM
Brian McClair was on sportsound the other night saying how to make it in football you have to have belief. You're not going to be a footballer, you're going to be a professional footballer. I think, and I could be completely wrong here, Handling lacked that and didn't have the ability, of say a Riordan, to make it anyway.

johnbc70
23-03-2018, 12:55 PM
Brian McClair was on sportsound the other night saying how to make it in football you have to have belief. You're not going to be a footballer, you're going to be a professional footballer. I think, and I could be completely wrong here, Handling lacked that and didn't have the ability, of say a Riordan, to make it anyway.

Professional being the key word. I don't know how the likes of Handling and Caldwell trained or looked after themselves, but I wonder if some guys look back with regrets and wonder if they had made some changes to their lifestyle could things have been different.

matty_f
23-03-2018, 01:08 PM
The last sentence is probably quite telling "I'd like to get back into full time fooball, but that's outwith my control."

There is plenty he could do to make that within his control, to be honest.