PDA

View Full Version : Let's Work Together Minutes applause at Patrick game

Ianhibee
22-03-2018, 11:49 AM
We are trying to arrange a minutes applause for the 16TH minute of the first half at the Partick Thistle match on Saturday 31st March, for my cousins lad Daniel Johnston & to raise awareness of teenage suicide.

Daniel aged 16yrs was a funny, smart, loving, Hibs daft teenager. For whatever reason Daniel became overwhelmed & tragically took his own life on 10th March.

Please tag & share this post as far and wide as possible, especially onto any Hibs related pages. Any of you who are on other chat hibees bounce etc It would be appreciate if you could spread this post as we are trying to reach out to as many hibees as possible and see if we can get this minutes applause not only in memory of our beloved Daniel, but to raise awareness of suicide.

We need to get the message out there that we are here to listen & encourage anyone who feels a bit down to tell their troubles to someone, there is help out there, you do not have to take this path.

Thank you [emoji172]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dashing Bob S
22-03-2018, 12:07 PM
We are trying to arrange a minutes applause for the 16TH minute of the first half at the Partick Thistle match on Saturday 31st March, for my cousins lad Daniel Johnston & to raise awareness of teenage suicide.

Daniel aged 16yrs was a funny, smart, loving, Hibs daft teenager. For whatever reason Daniel became overwhelmed & tragically took his own life on 10th March.

Please tag & share this post as far and wide as possible, especially onto any Hibs related pages. Any of you who are on other chat hibees bounce etc It would be appreciate if you could spread this post as we are trying to reach out to as many hibees as possible and see if we can get this minutes applause not only in memory of our beloved Daniel, but to raise awareness of suicide.

We need to get the message out there that we are here to listen & encourage anyone who feels a bit down to tell their troubles to someone, there is help out there, you do not have to take this path.

Thank you [emoji172]

Huge issue now, so not talked about, and awareness needs to be raised. I know some people will carp about this saying it's not the proper place, but they are wrong. The devastation on families and the waste of individual potential this phenomenon produces is inestimable. Lets hope the Hibs family support this with applause for Daniel on the 16th minute, and talk to each other about this. It's increasingly touching the lives of more of us.

Sammy7nil
22-03-2018, 12:35 PM
Very sad and well worth our support.

jacomo
22-03-2018, 12:56 PM
So sorry to hear about Daniel.

Agree that a minutes applause would be fitting.

Fife-Hibee
22-03-2018, 12:57 PM
😪

Jones28
22-03-2018, 01:43 PM
So sorry for your loss. A close family friend completed suicide 4 years ago and the effect it has had on the people around us has been so profound it's hard to put in to words.

Mental health is a hot topic right now and anything we can do to show support must be done.

Shrekko
22-03-2018, 02:04 PM
I don't think anyone will have any issues at all with this and really hope momentum gathers for it to be as well publicised as possible. Absolutely terrible tragedy.

Nameless
22-03-2018, 05:53 PM
I lost a close friend to suicide in Oct last year. I would give anything to be able to go back and talk to him. Awareness is the first step, so I will gladly stand to celebrate this young man's life.

For anyone who isn't already aware, there is a phenomenal service called Breathing Space. It's a free and confidential service, there to support you if you are suffering depression or feeling hopeless - 0800838587.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Bishop Hibee
22-03-2018, 06:00 PM
I’m normally dubious about applause during games but this is an exception. I’ve 3 boys myself and I’ve always tried my best to tell them to talk about any problems they have as I come from a generation of men who didn’t and it hasn’t served us well really. Anything that can raise awareness of the issue of male suicide is good by me.

RIP Daniel. Thoughts and prayers with your family.

NAE NOOKIE
22-03-2018, 06:05 PM
Its a terrible thing and well worthy of our support ... count me in.

judas
22-03-2018, 06:12 PM

Thank you [emoji172]

As a father, it frightens me that one so young (or indeed anyone) could take their life.

How does ine prevent this? Simply by staying close to your kids and asking them about their feelings?

I will certainly join the applause.

Sir David Gray
22-03-2018, 06:14 PM
I normally take a dim view of minute's applauses but I'll make an exception here.

Anyone who has read the thread on depression on the Holy Ground forum will know that I almost lost my dad to two suicide attempts a few months ago.

Fortunately he's still with us and continuing to improve but my heart goes out to anyone who has actually lost someone to suicide. I would never wish what my family's gone through on anyone.

If this happens I'll happily take part. It's time that mental health was spoken about publicly and time people spoke about depression and suicidal thoughts. No-one should feel like ending their life is the only solution to their problems.

Albanian Hibs
22-03-2018, 06:26 PM
😪

No one else has picked this up but whats with this emoji? Either you have hit the wrong button or you are being insensitive? Sorry to hijack the thread.

Seveno
22-03-2018, 06:44 PM
I am not in favour of the increasingly common requests for a minute’s applause for anyone other than a former player. Suicide is a truly awful thing and particularly in the case of a young person.

I really do feel for you and will stand and applaud in memory of your beloved song with the hope that it also draws attention to the wider issue.

Sammy7nil
22-03-2018, 06:48 PM
No one else has picked this up but whats with this emoji? Either you have hit the wrong button or you are being insensitive? Sorry to hijack the thread.

I think the poster was saying he is sad, not insensitive.

SirDavidsNapper
22-03-2018, 06:51 PM
This kind of thing is terrible and I've been touched by it myself but feel that with the almost weekly minutes applause at Easter Road the sentiment might be lost a little. Maybe the stadium announcer could make people aware before kick off. Hopefully he's reading.

Hibby70
22-03-2018, 07:10 PM
One of my close friends committed suicide when we were still in our teens. This was about 30 years ago and at that age I don't think any of us even realised it was a thing never mind knowing what signs to look for.

So anything that can bring awareness has to be a good thing. Hopefully the club give some context before the applause and I hope there are some posters and leaflets going on too.

SvenNeil
22-03-2018, 07:29 PM
This was done a few years ago - should be done again by all football clubs20442

Ianhibee
22-03-2018, 08:59 PM
Thanks all - greatly appreciated.

brog
22-03-2018, 09:17 PM
Just tragic. I'll be there & it will be a privilege to support your worthy cause.

JimBHibees
22-03-2018, 10:33 PM
Simply horrible. Kids are under a lot of pressure nowadays and it is tragic to think they see this as the only way out. Heartbreaking to hear.

RIP Daniel.

Twiglet
22-03-2018, 10:56 PM
I'll be getting up to take part in memory of Daniel, to raise awareness and also I'll also be thinking about someone I know who took his own life just a few weeks ago. I knew the person through here, a friend in Oz and through Facebook. I only met them in person once 2 years ago, but we were Facebook friends since.
It was a total shock to to everyone, it took me a good couple of weeks for it to sink in. I kept going on Facebook expecting to see a post from them, I still do.

My heart, thoughts and prayers goes out to Daniels family at this difficult time.

22-03-2018, 11:04 PM

Thank you [emoji172]

So sorry to hear about Daniel's passing. Rest peacefully young fellow.

I will of course join in on the 31st.

Have you tried to make contact with the club about this? Mental Health Awareness is a subject close to Neil Lennon's heart and I wouldn't be surprised if they were to make some kind of gesture. Maybe a chance for any young relatives of Daniel's to meet some players or something like that. I don't really know what would be appropriate but from what I can tell the club are great with that sort of thing. We've got 2 fans reps that are pretty accessible or I've seen several positive stories on here after people have emailed Leeann directly.

Shrekko
25-03-2018, 09:00 PM
So sorry to hear about Daniel's passing. Rest peacefully young fellow.

I will of course join in on the 31st.

Have you tried to make contact with the club about this? Mental Health Awareness is a subject close to Neil Lennon's heart and I wouldn't be surprised if they were to make some kind of gesture. Maybe a chance for any young relatives of Daniel's to meet some players or something like that. I don't really know what would be appropriate but from what I can tell the club are great with that sort of thing. We've got 2 fans reps that are pretty accessible or I've seen several positive stories on here after people have emailed Leeann directly.

I’m sure the club would get involved with this one and make sure a proper tribute is paid if they’re asked- really hope this happens.

Babyshamble
26-03-2018, 09:03 PM
Horrible news.my cousin Paul reekie also took is own life a few years ago.good hibby.Got a load of hibs mates on facebook.will post about the minutes silence.thoughts & best wishes to Daniels family.💚

Mr White
26-03-2018, 09:13 PM
Horrible news.my cousin Paul reekie also took is own life a few years ago.good hibby.Got a load of hibs mates on facebook.will post about the minutes silence.thoughts & best wishes to Daniels family.💚

I enjoyed his contribution to The Children of Albion Rovers back in the day and was sad to read of his passing a few years ago, and again now to learn he was your cousin. It's an awful thing and very much deserving of a minute's applause which will hopefully raise awareness of the issue.

I can't begin to imagine what Daniel's family must be going through.

Ilovehibs
26-03-2018, 09:13 PM
So tragic. Massive condolences to all Daniel's family. Life will never be the same again. A member of my family took their own life and it is truly awful.
Thoughts are with you all and I will stand to applaud on Saturday in recognition of Daniel's life and to hopefully help highlight the importance of people speaking out when they are struggling.

RIP Daniel.

Scouse Hibee
26-03-2018, 09:18 PM
I too will join, suicide is so sad on many counts, was stunned years ago to hear of a guy (contractor) who I got on great with took his own life, it really troubled me for some time. I was also unfortunate enough to be a very close eye witness to another a few years back in the city centre. It's heart breaking to read of another young life lost so tragically.

BSEJVT
26-03-2018, 09:34 PM
That is absolutely tragic and I will be proud to show my support.

I don't think there are many people in the world not touched in some way by the suicide of a family member or someone they knew these days.

I cant find any words to say that will ease the suffering of his friends and family, but hopefully they will get some comfort from our support and the knowledge that their bravery and actions in promoting this action will hopefully save others from experiencing the pain they are currently feeling.

My thoughts are with them.

RIP Daniel

Ianhibee
30-03-2018, 01:25 PM

Thank you [emoji172]

Just a reminder of this for tomorrow. Very pleased to say that Hibs have been very supportive and have included some detail in the programme but can’t announce over the Tannoy.

Thanks again for everyone’s support - Daniels family will be at the game and truly appreciate the comments on this thread and the way the issue clearly resonates with all parents.

cabbageandribs1875
30-03-2018, 01:42 PM
will do :agree:

Shrekko
30-03-2018, 09:42 PM
This is starting to spread around on social media today so hopefully plenty of the crowd aware of what’s happening 👍

calumhibee1
30-03-2018, 10:36 PM
Would be good if Hibs could change the scoreboard during these minutes applauses with a message, maybe a suicide prevention helpline phone number or something?

StevieT
30-03-2018, 11:40 PM
Would be good if Hibs could change the scoreboard during these minutes applauses with a message, maybe a suicide prevention helpline phone number or something?

I agree but I bet there's a rule somewhere preventing the club from doing such a thing.

HH81
31-03-2018, 04:34 AM
I agree but I bet there's a rule somewhere preventing the club from doing such a thing.

Who cares, do it anyway. Sometimes things are more important than football.

If one person rang that number it would be a success. I can't imagine Hibs would hear anything from it.

Brizo
31-03-2018, 05:35 AM
Not normally a fan of the increasingly regular minutes applauses at games but these circumstances are so tragic and the issues around young peoples mental health so profound that I'm totally in favour of this.

RIP Daniel

AltheHibby
31-03-2018, 09:22 AM
Thankfully I have never had anyone close to me commit suicide. However, I have a friend who lost her brother this way.

It devastated the whole family, especially her dad who was very close to his only son.

I won't be there physically, but will pause wherever I am at the time.